Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne making his statement amidst declining confidence in

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jonathan said:

TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

That's a much better structure for stamp duty.

Curiously fast implementation. Glad I am not buying a house this week.
    Apparently if you have exchanged but not completed you can choose which system to use - seems sensible.
    Imagine solicitors phones are ringing today to make sure exchange happens today. There will be a fair few unhappy folk out there.
    I moved house this year - probably missed out on a few hundred quid - but get it back from the APD for sprogs change.

How many over 900k properties change hands in a week ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Jonathan said:

That's a much better structure for stamp duty.

Curiously fast implementation. Glad I am not buying a house this week.
    It needs to be done overnight, otherwise it allows people buying expensive houses to accelerate purchases to avoid the new tax rates.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Crickey big change to Stamp Duty.

Are we moving to the far more sensible Scottish system or something like it ?
    That nice house I wanted to buy?

Just got £250,000 more expensive.

Thanks George.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Balls and Harman not letting me down on the card.
  • Options
    Balls going for the full bore approach.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

So the Kippers are the party that cares for the gays and immigrants.

Okaaay

Just when I was thinking about voting Tory again TSE shows up with this b*****ks.... Labour might be "masosadists", Kippers I suspect are not, I can't see the "beat me and I'll vote for you" approach working.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.
  • Options
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

Why would you think he was sincere about gay marriage rather than doing what he thought was politically expedient?

That's completely daft, it wasn't politically expedient. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    You are right that it didn't turn out as he expected but what I said was

"what he thought was politically expedient?"
    I don't think anyone in Number 10 thought gay marriage would be politically expedient. From what I can tell it is one of the few issues that Dave actually believes in which is why he pushed ahead despite the damage and probable loss of socially conservative voters to UKIP.
    In 2003 he voted against repealing Section 28
    Was it a free vote ?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The OBR on immigration....

Full on tactic to hope that UKIP get Ed in.
  • Options
    I find this response a bit weird. Balls keeps asking Osborne questions but Osborne doesn't get to answer them.
  • Options
    Banks, mansions, jobless migrants and Starbucks get a shafting in order for more jam on air ambulances, doctors, kiddy telly, roads and housing. Fair dinkum.

Most interesting though is the fairly bullish deficit reduction projection. Do we believe it?
  • Options
    Where does Balls think we can magic up growth from?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

Okaaay

Just when I was thinking about voting Tory again TSE shows up with this b*****ks.... Labour might be "masosadists", Kippers I suspect are not, I can't see the "beat me and I'll vote for you" approach working.
    I didn't realise that I was that influential.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

APD for children abolished ! Nice one.

Did you say the other day that "At least Boris hasn't changed his name" ?
    Is he Brian now ? Give me strength.
    I don't think Boris was his original name. But if that's what he wants to be called I see no reason to call him something else
    I believe Boris is his stage name (and actually his first name).

His friends and family call him Alexander.
    Wiki has his first name as Alexander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

But that doesn't guarantee anything of course as anyone can edit it.
    I couldn't remember the order.

But the point is that "Boris" is his public name and "Alexander" his private one

But that's his choice and should be respected, like Osborne, Brown (?) and Aker
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Is that it George ? as Mrs O might say.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2014
    erm, have i got this right - those massive footballers mansions that cost £50m or whatever, just lost ~11% of their value in the past hour?

I can see a few very rich people sending money ukips way...
  • Options
    (Gender) divide and rule tactics from Labour here :D
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Pong said:

Dave, you know when you legalised gay marriage and made that awesome speech telling the gay kid in the closet he could now stand tall?

"He obviously quite likes taking it as well" snigger snigger.

Yeah, language matters.

He voted for Section 28... in 2003

Why would you think he was sincere about gay marriage rather than doing what he thought was politically expedient?

He is suggesting treating Eastern European labourers as 2nd class citizens now, but I don't think he is really a social cleanser. He is just a follower of focus groups and opinion polls
    You find endless ways to show how pathetic you are.
    We could find a long list of tories who have changed their minds - starting with confirmed right winger Michael Howard. ''...I thought, rightly or wrongly, that there was a problem in those days. That problem simply doesn't exist now. Nobody's fussed about those issues any more. It's not a problem, so the law shouldn't be hanging around on the statute book''.

Whats significant is that you have a hang up and still obsess about the issue and clearly want to discriminate against homosexuals. UKIP is a repository for the prejudiced.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

That's completely daft, it wasn't politically expedient. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I don't think anyone in Number 10 thought gay marriage would be politically expedient. From what I can tell it is one of the few issues that Dave actually believes in which is why he pushed ahead despite the damage and probable loss of socially conservative voters to UKIP.
    Was it a free vote ?

Nope, was a three line whip imposed by IDS.

If memory serves, Osborne and Boris rebelled.
  • Options

I find this response a bit weird. Balls keeps asking Osborne questions but Osborne doesn't get to answer them.

He will, in theory. After Balls sits down, Osborne "answers' him - or, more likely, goes on about Labour's record.....

• Options
    I liked Ozzy's 'no sign of intelligent life on the RED planet' joke.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    I suspect the house price will fall commesurately - so it will now be £7.8m or so :-)

This is really a tax on foreign buyers of prime London property.

And anyone who wants a two bedroom flat in Hampstead.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Balls floundering. Time to put him out of our misery.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    I suspect the seller is going to get 250,000 less....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

APD for children abolished ! Nice one.

Did you say the other day that "At least Boris hasn't changed his name" ?
    Is he Brian now ? Give me strength.
    I don't think Boris was his original name. But if that's what he wants to be called I see no reason to call him something else
    I believe Boris is his stage name (and actually his first name).

His friends and family call him Alexander.
    Wiki has his first name as Alexander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

But that doesn't guarantee anything of course as anyone can edit it.
    I couldn't remember the order.

But the point is that "Boris" is his public name and "Alexander" his private one

But that's his choice and should be respected, like Osborne, Brown (?) and Aker
    Yes I agree 100%. I never said any different.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Most interesting though is the fairly bullish deficit reduction projection. Do we believe it?

No.
  • Options
    Pong said:

erm, have i got this right - those massive footballers mansions that cost £50m or whatever, just lost ~11% of their value in the past hour?

Cons nicking & combining SNP & Labour policy LOL !
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    It's a madhouse.
    Anyway, I find it remarkable that someone with a stutter problem can speak in public, let alone the House.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited December 2014

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    I suspect the seller is going to get 250,000 less....
    The shortage of housing, especially big properties is so cryonic, I doubt it will. And a huge percentage of buyers at the high end are foreign, I am not sure a big increase in a one-off tax will alter the reasons why they want to buy a £10 million mansion in London.

I am not sure Labour's mansion tax would put them off either, but those already in their homes and cash poor would get stung under Labour's plans.
  • Options

He will, in theory. After Balls sits down, Osborne "answers' him - or, more likely, goes on about Labour's record.....

And then the Leader of the Liberal Democrats gets up to ask questions... oooh er...
    I wonder if LibDems actually appreciate the benefits of that not happening?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.
    It's an aspiration, not a reality!

(But £5m - assuming I've got my numbers right! - will buy a fairly basic house with a patch of garden in my area)

Here's a good example: £5m. 2,500 sq foot. 4bed, 3 bath + garage. South of the High Street (so less smart) and next to a railway line.

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/33637505?search_identifier=5ff527aebb70607e2eb13466b69042bc#T0OZFTmWTHpu07c7.97

• Options

He's now complaining about borrowing.....what price 'too far too fast?'

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.
    Oh dear, what a shame.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FPT:

Unemployment is falling and close to the level where you would say it is 'full'. Its a bit pathetic to echo Ed Balls and moan about pay and 'zero hours'.

There will always be a level of unemployed, due to the churn of jobs. Its not people on the register but people not on anything or on some other benefit who are the problem. Judging by Farage's attitude to women in the city I imagine that he would find most of these people unemployable.
    But this is the real UK problem, lack of education and willpower for the available work by these people. Its yet another savage Labour legacy. A disgrace. Thats why immigrant workers are so attractive to employers. These people are good for Britain and if Farage were honest he would admit they would still be here under a UKIP govt.
    Its not something that can be put right overnight. We can make life on benefits less attractive and thats what the govt will continue to do, but to make the people themselves a desirable employment proposition is a different matter.

As I have said before I am not (yet) a kipper, and I firmly a pissed-off Tory at the moment, pissed off with Cameron that is. I know a number of my colleagues disagree, but as a teacher and part owner of a school I was a huge fan of Gove, and ditching him to pander to a group of leftie teachers that would never have voted Tory anyway was not clever, and symptomatic of Camerons whole approach, like ditching traditional Tory voters to pander to Guardian reader, who similarly would never vote Tory, he never seems to miss an opportunity to either make a pledge he is conspicuously not able to keep, or alienate a group of Tory voters to purse a group of other voters who would never vote Tory.
    The polling evidence is the so-called lefty teachers did mostly vote Tory in 2010. That shows up the problem with Gove: he managed to alienate the people who were on his side. To the extent politics is about building alliances, he was a lousy politician.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2014
    Oh right, i get it, for very high value properties it's gone up from 7% to 11-12%ish

So a £50m mansion only lost ~£2.5m in value.

Small change...
  • Options
    Balls just said: 'Without a plan for jobs and work this isn't going to work'. Has he been asleep for the last couple of years? Do the unemployment stats mean nothing to him? I summarise thus:

Osborne: He's my plan for the economy, jobs, work, deficits and debts. It's working so far.
    Balls: But you're going to need a plan for that.
    Everyone else: WTF?
  • Options
    The political significance of the Autumn Statement is that the 'rabbit out of the hat' is that there is no rabbit out of the hat. No giveaways and little in the way of gimmicks. That's almost certainly the correct approach from a party-political viewpoint.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

(But £5m - assuming I've got my numbers right! - will buy a fairly basic house with a patch of garden in my area)

Here's a good example: £5m. 2,500 sq foot. 4bed, 3 bath + garage. South of the High Street (so less smart) and next to a railway line.

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/33637505?search_identifier=5ff527aebb70607e2eb13466b69042bc#T0OZFTmWTHpu07c7.97

Come live next door to me, you can get a six bedroomed place for around £1.5m

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/32815661
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798

The political significance of the Autumn Statement is that the 'rabbit out of the hat' is that there is no rabbit out of the hat. No giveaways and little in the way of gimmicks. That's almost certainly the correct approach from a party-political viewpoint.

a bit of a premature release there Richard, nobody's seen the detail yet.
  • Options

Indigo said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

Was it a free vote ?

Exactly. So all this banging on about how Cameron voted on it or not is bullshit, he's a Tory MP, he followed the Tory 3-line Whip. And the surprising bit about that is ... ?
  • Options
    Why don't Labour go on the massive tax cut for mansion owners.

Under George they only have to pay once - under Labour they would be hammered every year - Tories always pandering to the rich.

;)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Indigo said:

Okaaay

I didn't realise that I was that influential.
    You'e not; you just think you are.
  • Options
    Pong said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    I suspect the house price will fall commesurately - so it will now be £7.8m or so :-)

You mean my 2 bedroom flat in Kensington is going to fall in value as well!

Sheesh, thanks George!

(of course I knew this in advance - I'm just whinging...and making the point that taxes have gone up significantly on the richest in the country, while they haven't benefited from things like the increase in the personal allowance)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

Was it a free vote ?

Exactly. So all this banging on about how Cameron voted on it or not is bullshit, he's a Tory MP, he followed the Tory 3-line Whip. And the surprising bit about that is ... ?
    My apologies, it was a free vote

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/mar/11/conservatives.uk
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Ed Balls remains the Shadow Chancellor without a plan.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited December 2014
    Pong said:

Oh right, i get it, for very high value properties it's gone up from 7% to 11-12%ish

Small change...

How do you know it lost that? When you are talking about £50 million properties, they are hard to come by in the first place and prices fluctuate more than a Lord Ashcroft poll, in both good and bad times.

They aren't the sort of places that if you can go down the road and find an identical place. It like compares a painting from Ikea to one by a great artist. One has basically a market price, the other is worth whatever people will pay for their dream.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Small change...

It'll only affect the vulgar "new rich".

Properly rich people don't move or sell their houses/estates. Tbh they should be the only ones allowed that sort of money, Lord and Lady Chatsworth's property is a joy to visit, I don't see cross country eventing around Wayne Rooney's manor :D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Damn. I clicked on the link and now, when I am trying to complete my online shopping at Lidl, I will have multi-million pound Kensington houses flashing up for sale on my computer.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pong said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.

Sheesh, thanks George!

(of course I knew this in advance - I'm just whinging...and making the point that taxes have gone up significantly on the richest in the country, while they haven't benefited from things like the increase in the personal allowance)
    Charles: do you know how much sympathy the average man in the street (or on this site for that matter) has for you or me?

None at all.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2014
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

'Your area', is Oligarch Central, one of the most expensive parts of London, not Suburbia.

I'd rather see a Stamp Duty increase for the filthy rich, than a Mansion Tax on Granny, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Come to Hampstead, Charles.

It's convenient for the American School in St John's Wood. You can take the Jubilee or Metropolitan lines from Finchley Road to the City or the West End. There's a large green space around here too.

Oh yes, and there are plenty of immigrants, so your wife will fit right in.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Was that the sunniest day they could find for the photos...?
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Swap your London garage for this little place in the country. I think this also includes a vote in a marginal constituency.

http://m.primelocation.com/#/for-sale/details/30462121
  • Options
    Why do people want big/fancy houses? Don't quiet and a bit of space to get on with things suffice? If you want to see expensive elegance try the Nat'l Trust.
  • Options
    I'm happy to say that I missed the Autumn Statement on toto.

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 27s28 seconds ago
    Another "bash the rich" budget from #ContinuityBrown

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 3m3 minutes ago
    New stamp duty bands: http://order-order.com/2014/12/03/in-numbers-stamp-duty-savings-explained/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Damn. I clicked on the link and now, when I am trying to complete my online shopping at Lidl, I will have multi-million pound Kensington houses flashing up for sale on my computer.
    So like about half of Lidl's customers then...

(do they do online shopping - thought they didn't. If they do, I'd happily switch to them!)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Pong said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.

Sheesh, thanks George!

Charles: do you know how much sympathy the average man in the street (or on this site for that matter) has for you or me?

None at all.
    I think you are being overly positive there...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited December 2014

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

'Your area', is Oligarch Central, one of the most expensive parts of London, not Suburbia.

I'd rather see a Stamp Duty increase for the filthy rich, than a Mansion Tax on Granny, wouldn't you?
    "Just one London borough—Kensington and Chelsea, home of bankers and oligarchs—now accounts for 6.9% of all receipts."

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21621847-stamp-duty-receipts-are-booming-they-are-heavily-concentrated-london-weighting

The Mansion Tax proposed by Ed and Vince is high grade organic bullshit. Symbolic but ineffectual at raising large amounts. But Osborne could have index linked the stamp duty rates a while ago.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Swap your London garage for this little place in the country. I think this also includes a vote in a marginal constituency.

Astonishing to think that is the same price as a 3 bed house in certain parts of London.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

That lawn needs some TLC if ever one were to have a croquet party!
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Indigo said:

FPT:

Unemployment is falling and close to the level where you would say it is 'full'. Its a bit pathetic to echo Ed Balls and moan about pay and 'zero hours'.

There will always be a level of unemployed, due to the churn of jobs. Its not people on the register but people not on anything or on some other benefit who are the problem. Judging by Farage's attitude to women in the city I imagine that he would find most of these people unemployable.
    But this is the real UK problem, lack of education and willpower for the available work by these people. Its yet another savage Labour legacy. A disgrace. Thats why immigrant workers are so attractive to employers. These people are good for Britain and if Farage were honest he would admit they would still be here under a UKIP govt.
    Its not something that can be put right overnight. We can make life on benefits less attractive and thats what the govt will continue to do, but to make the people themselves a desirable employment proposition is a different matter.

As I have said before I am not (yet) a kipper, and I firmly a pissed-off Tory at the moment, pissed off with Cameron that is. I know a number of my colleagues disagree, but as a teacher and part owner of a school I was a huge fan of Gove, and ditching him to pander to a group of leftie teachers that would never have voted Tory anyway was not clever, and symptomatic of Camerons whole approach, like ditching traditional Tory voters to pander to Guardian reader, who similarly would never vote Tory, he never seems to miss an opportunity to either make a pledge he is conspicuously not able to keep, or alienate a group of Tory voters to purse a group of other voters who would never vote Tory.
    The polling evidence is the so-called lefty teachers did mostly vote Tory in 2010. That shows up the problem with Gove: he managed to alienate the people who were on his side. To the extent politics is about building alliances, he was a lousy politician.
    Gove was and is ludicrously over praised.
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Actually, no. I'd rather see all property taxed at a flat percentage, with no silly bands.

I'd probably build in a system whereby they are based on last transacted value + a fixed RPI measure to protect the grannies.

But it should be introduced by the Tories, so they can use the proceeds to abolish more economically damaging taxes rather than Labour who will just piss it up the wall
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Understanding the stamp duty changes a bit more. Quite a big tax cut. Blurring the boundaries is definitely a good thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

It's convenient for the American School in St John's Wood. You can take the Jubilee or Metropolitan lines from Finchley Road to the City or the West End. There's a large green space around here too.

Our daughter's school is in Notting Hill, but we are thinking about St. John's Wood once she goes to the American school.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    How did Ed Balls do in his response?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Astonishing to think that is the same price as a 3 bed house in certain parts of London.
    You could spend the difference on a helicopter for your commute to the office!
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Our daughter's school is in Notting Hill, but we are thinking about St. John's Wood once she goes to the American school.
    We have a lot of friends whose kids go there. They all seem to like it.

I love St Johns Wood - great for the cricket, good public transport, nice houses.
    But the place seems to have a lot less community than Hampstead, and the high street lacks charm (although it does have a Caroline Charles, I believe).
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

That lawn needs some TLC if ever one were to have a croquet party!
    I think I'd rather have the 16 acres in Northamptonshire :D
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

I'd like to see the American version of Jane Cameron.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

You can easily spend £2.5m on a two bedroom flat in certain parts of London...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

I love St Johns Wood - great for the cricket, good public transport, nice houses.
    But the place seems to have a lot less community than Hampstead, and the high street lacks charm (although it does have a Caroline Charles, I believe).
    It's a few years away, yet, so haven't really thought about it.

But Hampstead is always quite nice - my uncle used to live there - but a nightmare for traffic I thought.

Hmmh. This one looks nice ;-)

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/34401578#kbbtySxBi7Mqhx7j.97
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Was that the sunniest day they could find for the photos...?
    It is always sunny in Dore.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46167296.html

£2 million

6 cottages

An annual income of over £40,000 from assured tenancies on the cottages

91,1 acres

Jesus Christ !
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

LOL. I bought a washing machine online and was plagued with adverts for them for over a month.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

There's always been folk with more money than sense!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

There's always been folk with more money than sense!
    Check out what £2 million can get you in Northumberland !!
  • Options
    Pong said:

Wot! They are so upset at having to spend more money (possibly) they are going to throw even more money away?
    But don't worry - ''some death taxes will be abolished''.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

But Hampstead is always quite nice - my uncle used to live there - but a nightmare for traffic I thought.

Half an acre for £32 million :P

Christ talk about paying through the nose !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Weren't the Scottish Conservatives tweeting a bunch of complaints about the SNP Stamp Duty reform?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Stamp duty changes - genuine applause for George from this corner.

Rest of it... I was going to post a knee jerk trashing!

But I'll take some time to review.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: Champagne corks popping in the Treasury at this Sky, stamp-duty piece...

@faisalislam: We report live from a Chester estate agent... Where housebuyer has been told about £4k stamp duty cut... "Means a new bathroom"
  • Options
    Ed Balls to have to shout to be heard, turning him into the crimson king. 3 points
    Harriet Harman to look like she's in desperate need of fibre in her diet whilst Balls is replying 2 points
    Camera to focus on Nick Clegg when the token Lib Dem measure is announced & Nick looking pleased with himself 1 point
    Gushing front page from the Daily Mail tommorow 1 point
    Gushing front page from the Sun tommorow 1 point
    George to announce increase in minimum wage 2 points
    Ed Balls' reply to be derided on this forum 1 point
    @TheScreamingEagles to announce this is Labour's Zama, or some other similiar historical reference 3 points
    TGOHF to mock Ed Balls' reply to the house 2 points
    @TSE to announce a 1-10 value on 4 specific words being used as "value" 1 point (Already in)
    One of the PB conservatives to announce this as a terrible day for Labour 1 point
    BenM to state that Osborne's statement is a crock of shit 2 points
    Alan Brooke to complain that Osborne has not done enough/anything for small business/manufacturing 2 points
    Seth/ALP to return and say "By George he's done it" (Or words to those effect) 50 points

@BenM You'll make me miss out on the bingo card:

Someone tot up the points.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Weren't the Scottish Conservatives tweeting a bunch of complaints about the SNP Stamp Duty reform?

The break even points are very different 250k vs 900 k - and one is a tax cut, the other not.

Will the SNP be huffing when sales of high value houses get rushed through before the spring thus denying the SNP revenue ? Titter.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Iain Anderson ‏@iain_w_anderson 2m2 minutes ago
    Interesting @dannyalexander commits to Stamp Duty AND Mansion Tax in Lib Dem manifesto #AutumnStatement

Now that'd be costly for mansion buyers.
  • Options
    If it works the biggest item in the budget really ought to be the new tax on multinationals. I will be fascinated to see in due course what the Treasury thinks that will bring in. It will also be interesting to see whether all the larger economies in the EU and indeed beyond follow suit. I would be amazed if this has come out of the blue and not been discussed at the G7.

Luxembourg may start to discover what austerity means.

Good.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We walked around Hampstead the other day. Wouldn't want to live there, but the Leverhulme pergola and garden floated my boat. I look forward to following it through the seasons. The botanical garden in Cambridge is a jewel as well..
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I'm happy to say that I missed the Autumn Statement on toto.

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 27s28 seconds ago
    Another "bash the rich" budget from #ContinuityBrown

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 3m3 minutes ago
    New stamp duty bands: http://order-order.com/2014/12/03/in-numbers-stamp-duty-savings-explained/

These are the bashed rich who have had a 5% reduction in the top rate of tax? Is poor Staines worried he might not be able to stash his cash away in Ireland?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If it works the biggest item in the budget really ought to be the new tax on multinationals. I will be fascinated to see in due course what the Treasury thinks that will bring in. It will also be interesting to see whether all the larger economies in the EU and indeed beyond follow suit. I would be amazed if this has come out of the blue and not been discussed at the G7.

Good.

Another whistler in the wind!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Good.

The idea of tax based upon place of consumer has just come into force for gambling companies operating in the UK i.e it doesn't matter if they are in Gibraltar or Isle of Man now, if they want to trade in the UK, they have to get a license and they to pay tax as a % of revenue generated by UK players.

It seems to me that as we have become ever more globalized, the notion of where a company is located for tax purposes is becoming ever more redundant. The only other way to base things is upon where a customer is located, as they can't just up and leave very easily.

US has been wrestling with this for online shopping, as each state has vastly different sales taxes. It was ok when you had to go into a physical store, but now with the internet you could be buying from anywhere in the US or the world.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

New Bank Tax

New announcement: the amount of profit in established banks that can be offset by losses carried forward will be limited to 50%, and relief on bad debts delayed. That means banks should contribute almost £4 billion more in tax over the next five years.

Why are we now having two budgets a year?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

Half an acre for £32 million :P

Christ talk about paying through the nose !
    The only deal my Dad regrets: we had a place with a half acre garden in Kensington that we could have kept (it would have been a stretch though) but he was conservative and so sold to Freddie Mercury rather than hang on to it when we moved to the country
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp·9m9 minutes ago
    Tory borrowing plans are in tatters: in this parliament they will have borrowed £219bn more than they planned in 2010 #AS2014
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

New Bank Tax

New announcement: the amount of profit in established banks that can be offset by losses carried forward will be limited to 50%, and relief on bad debts delayed. That means banks should contribute almost £4 billion more in tax over the next five years.

Politics...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

New Bank Tax

Inflation.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Tory borrowing plans are in tatters: in this parliament they will have borrowed £219bn more than they planned in 2010 #AS2014

Hi Ed.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Darling had to borrow half a trillion more between his budgets!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks George.
    £8M or so ? Nice.

LOL. I bought a washing machine online and was plagued with adverts for them for over a month.
    Someone once complained to OGH that his site really shouldn't have ads for Roumanians mail order brides....and then disappeared after it was pointed out why he was seeing them.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    BenM said:

For God's sake. What point do Labour think they're making when they say the Tories haven't been Tory enough on cutting the deficit?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Good.

The idea of tax based upon place of consumer has just come into force for gambling companies operating in the UK i.e it doesn't matter if they are in Gibraltar or Isle of Man now, if they want to trade in the UK, they have to get a license and they to pay tax as a % of revenue generated by UK players.

It seems to me that as we have become ever more globalized, the notion of where a company is located for tax purposes is becoming ever more redundant. The only other way to base things is upon where a customer is located, as they can't just up and leave very easily.

US has been wrestling with this for online shopping, as each state has vastly different sales taxes. It was ok when you had to go into a physical store, but now with the internet you could be buying from anywhere in the US or the world.
    I think it is an excellent idea albeit there will undoubtedly be complications in practice. The fact is that multinationals have been taking not just us but all medium and larger sized countries for a ride for decades and this looks like the first time someone has tried to do something substantial about it.

Maybe something good can come out of a horrendous deficit after all.
This discussion has been closed.