Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne making his statement amidst declining confidence in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne making his statement amidst declining confidence in the economy

From YouGov: Voters much less confident about the economy than they were at March budget. pic.twitter.com/xpic7ULSYe

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Declining confidence is a double-edged sword. Could make people doubt the competence of the Government, could make them more fearful of trusting the economy to people whom many blame for the current situation and who still lag behind the Conservatives in trust on the economy.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Huzzah for the Coalition

Just saying ....
  • Options
    I wonder if declining economic confidence actually helps the Tories? 'Things are getting better, lets go back to nicer but less competent Labour' may have less traction. Its not like its clear that whatever the 'problem' is, 'Labour' is the answer.

Interesting Labour MPs following a line on 'in the 2010 Conservative manifesto'.......Cameron has a decent reply 'after four and a half years, Labour finally want to talk about the economy.....'
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Eurozone monetary trends picking up, commodity prices down and UK indicators still strong. Not sure why the economy is being talked down.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited December 2014
    Maso-Sadism

It's almost made me wish tim was back
  • Options

Declining confidence is a double-edged sword. Could make people doubt the competence of the Government, could make them more fearful of trusting the economy to people whom many blame for the current situation and who still lag behind the Conservatives in trust on the economy.

I agree. We are back to the central issue with this election: nobody knows anything. It will certainly be one to stay up all night for!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2014
    Oh dear, Dave missaid sadomasochism.
  • Options
    On topic, is Osborne still Chancellor and still popular.

Which is a shock, because I thought he would have to quit after crying at Thatcher's funeral.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Was that a Malapropism or something more specific ?
  • Options
    Where can I get a batch of mind bleach from.

I have this image of Ed Balls visiting the Mistress of Pain #CameronMustGo
  • Options

On topic, is Osborne still Chancellor and still popular.

Which is a shock, because I thought he would have to quit after crying at Thatcher's funeral.

No! No! No! He had to resign because he sat in First Class on the train.....remember? Right after Cameron had to resign after riding a horse.....But that was all years ago, after the coalition collapsed in Autumn 2010......

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Was that a Malapropism or something more specific ?

Or a freudian......

• Options
    Denis strikes.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Sam Macrory ‏@sammacrory now4 seconds ago
    It's all gone 50 Shades of #PMQs: 'He obviously quite likes taking it as well" says David Cameron after accusing Ed Balls of "Masosadism."
  • Options
    Perhaps Dave didn't mis-speak.

Urban Dictionary does have masosadist

A person who derives pain out of being humiliated or hurt, but also derives pain from inflicting pain on another being. a person who has more tendencies towards masochism, but with underlying tones of sadism.

A masosadist is a person who has more tendencies towards masochism, but with underlying tones of sadism.

"I like being punished more, but I will sometimes punish someone else."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=masosadist
  • Options
    That wasn't just a mispronunciation, it was a Prime Ministerial mispronunciation #M&S
  • Options

Denis strikes.

Was there a ballot ?

• Options

Perhaps Dave didn't mis-speak.

Urban Dictionary does have masosadist

A person who derives pain out of being humiliated or hurt, but also derives pain from inflicting pain on another being. a person who has more tendencies towards masochism, but with underlying tones of sadism.

A masosadist is a person who has more tendencies towards masochism, but with underlying tones of sadism.

"I like being punished more, but I will sometimes punish someone else."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=masosadist

Perhaps he did

Emily Ashton ‏@elashton · 8m8 minutes ago
    "I meant to say masochism" David Cameron insists. #weirdestpmqsever #masosadism

• Options
    How I've got visions of Ed Balls playing Christian Grey
  • Options
    JackW said:

Denis strikes.

Was there a ballot ?

LOL. Not since 1984's miners strike.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Perhaps economic confidence is falling because people are worried about who might be running the country in six months time?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Sado monetarism.
  • Options
    Mary Creagh MP tweets: Cameron does a Spoonersim in sado masochism joke saying "maso-sadism." Then indulges puerile public schoolboy joke. If you're in a hole...

Unfortunate payoff......
  • Options
    Clear Labour line across nearly all Labour MPs today 'Cameron broken promises'......
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT:

Unemployment is falling and close to the level where you would say it is 'full'. Its a bit pathetic to echo Ed Balls and moan about pay and 'zero hours'.

There will always be a level of unemployed, due to the churn of jobs. Its not people on the register but people not on anything or on some other benefit who are the problem. Judging by Farage's attitude to women in the city I imagine that he would find most of these people unemployable.
    But this is the real UK problem, lack of education and willpower for the available work by these people. Its yet another savage Labour legacy. A disgrace. Thats why immigrant workers are so attractive to employers. These people are good for Britain and if Farage were honest he would admit they would still be here under a UKIP govt.
    Its not something that can be put right overnight. We can make life on benefits less attractive and thats what the govt will continue to do, but to make the people themselves a desirable employment proposition is a different matter.

As I have said before I am not (yet) a kipper, and I firmly a pissed-off Tory at the moment, pissed off with Cameron that is. I know a number of my colleagues disagree, but as a teacher and part owner of a school I was a huge fan of Gove, and ditching him to pander to a group of leftie teachers that would never have voted Tory anyway was not clever, and symptomatic of Camerons whole approach, like ditching traditional Tory voters to pander to Guardian reader, who similarly would never vote Tory, he never seems to miss an opportunity to either make a pledge he is conspicuously not able to keep, or alienate a group of Tory voters to purse a group of other voters who would never vote Tory.
  • Options

Mary Creagh MP tweets: Cameron does a Spoonersim in sado masochism joke saying "maso-sadism." Then indulges puerile public schoolboy joke. If you're in a hole...

Unfortunate payoff......

Spoonerism - that is correct definition not malapropism.

Poor old Ed - he nicks a question off Nigel and it gets washed away in smut.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    isam said:

Maso-Sadism

It's almost made me wish tim was back

Clearly Dave won't be missing any of those video entertainment topics that were banned yesterday.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Osborne starts off by admitting that this Autumn statement, the last before an uncertain election, is actually going to tighten spending.

Its politics Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options

How I've got visions of Ed Balls playing Christian Grey

As Theodore Roosevelt said: "If you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/54/messages/368.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

Where can I get a batch of mind bleach from.

I have this image of Ed Balls visiting the Mistress of Pain #CameronMustGo

The Mistress of Pain being Candy Atherton.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

FPT:

Unemployment is falling and close to the level where you would say it is 'full'. Its a bit pathetic to echo Ed Balls and moan about pay and 'zero hours'.

There will always be a level of unemployed, due to the churn of jobs. Its not people on the register but people not on anything or on some other benefit who are the problem. Judging by Farage's attitude to women in the city I imagine that he would find most of these people unemployable.
    But this is the real UK problem, lack of education and willpower for the available work by these people. Its yet another savage Labour legacy. A disgrace. Thats why immigrant workers are so attractive to employers. These people are good for Britain and if Farage were honest he would admit they would still be here under a UKIP govt.
    Its not something that can be put right overnight. We can make life on benefits less attractive and thats what the govt will continue to do, but to make the people themselves a desirable employment proposition is a different matter.

As I have said before I am not (yet) a kipper, and I firmly a pissed-off Tory at the moment, pissed off with Cameron that is. I know a number of my colleagues disagree, but as a teacher and part owner of a school I was a huge fan of Gove, and ditching him to pander to a group of leftie teachers that would never have voted Tory anyway was not clever, and symptomatic of Camerons whole approach, like ditching traditional Tory voters to pander to Guardian reader, who similarly would never vote Tory, he never seems to miss an opportunity to either make a pledge he is conspicuously not able to keep, or alienate a group of Tory voters to purse a group of other voters who would never vote Tory.
    He is the only Tory leader to become PM since 1992. That's why the party loyalists ignore his broken promises, they just want their side to be in power
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Dave, you know when you legalised gay marriage and made that awesome speech telling the gay kid in the closet he could now stand tall?

"He obviously quite likes taking it as well" snigger snigger.

Yeah, language matters.
  • Options
    Deficit down this year and next 4 years lower than the budget.

• Options
    Looks like I was over optimistic in my belief that England could not lose a cricket match today.
  • Options
    "OBR expects above-inflation rises in wages for next five years #AutumnStatement"

Well that might be good news for the next government.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Pong said:

Dave, you know when you legalised gay marriage and made that awesome speech telling the gay kid in the closet he could now stand tall?

Yeah, language matters.

Oh, I'm sorry, do gays own S&M? Who knew....

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Unfortunate payoff......

Spoonerism - that is correct definition not malapropism.

Poor old Ed - he nicks a question off Nigel and it gets washed away in smut.
    Nope, a spoonerism would have been (unamusingly) mado-sasochism.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    DavidL said:

"OBR expects above-inflation rises in wages for next five years #AutumnStatement"

Well that might be good news for the next government.

or they had their fingers crossed when they said it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited December 2014
    Why were we still paying for World War I, one hundred years on?

Shouldn't we have forced the vile Hun to pay it.
  • Options
    Nothing on train fares yet ? He's beelin'

Ed Conway @EdConwaySky · 3m 3 minutes ago
    Say what you like, I'm still holding out for some actual new policies here #AS2014
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Pong said:

Yeah, language matters.

He voted for Section 28... in 2003

Why would you think he was sincere about gay marriage rather than doing what he thought was politically expedient?

He is suggesting treating Eastern European labourers as 2nd class citizens now, but I don't think he is really a social cleanser. He is just a follower of focus groups and opinion polls
  • Options
    Naughty from Osborne
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    New tax on multinational firms

"This is big news. Big multinational businesses will "pay their fair share." To stop legal tax dodging, a new 25% tax on profits generated by multinationals - but from their activity in the UK - will be introduced if they would otherwise move the money out of the country to avoid UK tax."

Lawyers / accountants toasting lots of extra work in the new year. Going to be interesting to see how this works / stands up to inspection and legal challenges.
  • Options
    Fallen off the back of an envelope mansion tax?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    ''public schoolboy joke'' Ed Balls would have got it then. As would Lord Bach
  • Options
    New Bank Tax

New announcement: the amount of profit in established banks that can be offset by losses carried forward will be limited to 50%, and relief on bad debts delayed. That means banks should contribute almost £4 billion more in tax over the next five years.
  • Options
    APD for children abolished ! Nice one.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:

Pong said:

Yeah, language matters.

He is suggesting treating Eastern European labourers as 2nd class citizens now, but I don't think he is really a social cleanser. He is just a follower of focus groups and opinion polls
    AKA 'Doing a Farage'
  • Options

isam said:

Pong said:

Yeah, language matters.

AKA 'Doing a Farage'
    The opposite actually
  • Options
    isam said:

Why would you think he was sincere about gay marriage rather than doing what he thought was politically expedient?

That's completely daft, it wasn't politically expedient. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Did you say the other day that "At least Boris hasn't changed his name" ?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

That's completely daft, it wasn't politically expedient. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    You are right that it didn't turn out as he expected but what I said was

"what he thought was politically expedient?"
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Of course he didn't.

Why can't you accept the blindingly obvious explanation, that he genuinely thought it was the right thing to do?
  • Options
    So the Kippers are the party that cares for the gays and immigrants.

Okaaay
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    isam said:

isam said:

I don't think anyone in Number 10 thought gay marriage would be politically expedient. From what I can tell it is one of the few issues that Dave actually believes in which is why he pushed ahead despite the damage and probable loss of socially conservative voters to UKIP.
  • Options

So the Kippers are the party that cares for the gays and immigrants.

Okaaay

Nobody said that did they?
  • Options

isam said:

Exactly Richard - but you'll never satisfy Isam.

• Options
    "National insurance abolished for young people doing apprenticeships."

Excellent
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Is he Brian now ? Give me strength.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    @isam Hows the bingo card looking :)
  • Options

isam said:

Look at the floods it caused.......

• Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

I don't think Boris was his original name. But if that's what he wants to be called I see no reason to call him something else
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't think anyone in Number 10 thought gay marriage would be politically expedient. From what I can tell it is one of the few issues that Dave actually believes in which is why he pushed ahead despite the damage and probable loss of socially conservative voters to UKIP.
    In 2003 he voted against repealing Section 28
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Osborne abolishing SLAB....

I thought that was the SNP's job?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Crickey big change to Stamp Duty.

Arhhhh "Mansion Tax" by back door....£1 million properties are going to get hit for more money. Attempting to shot Labour / Lib Dem fox, and giving people a tax cut at the bottom.
  • Options

Are we moving to the far more sensible Scottish system or something like it ?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Indigo said:

FPT:

Gove forgot to speak softly as well as carry a big stick. He was the architect of his own demise - if you can call being chief whip and still a significant tory party mouthpiece a demise.
    The education policy has not changed.
    But Tory right wingers are all the same - I despair. Fox could still be in govt if he had limited himself to his job and not tried to promote himself as well as some foreign policy guru - and do it so painfully badly. Then there is Davis who clearly thought it a bettter idea to promote his own interest rather than the party and the country. They could be in govt making their points and making a difference.

But lets be honest - I have little time for all this anti Cameron rhetoric - its way overdone and of course from the kipper perspective self serving. There is not a person in the country, the world, who makes a perfect political leader. If you want to complain you can - any fool can make an excuse to find fault where there are some issues which have no solution. In the main Cameron is doing a good job leading a coalition and trying to wipe up the mess made by Labour and cover for the absurities of his own right wing. You only need to look at the figures for job losses in the public sector to see where the govt are doing the right thing against left wing opposition.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 2 mins2 minutes ago

Almost direct copy of John Swinney's stamp duty reforms in Scotland...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Nicked the SNP policy on stamp duty - but with a much higher nasty shock point.

Scots will be rushing to move before the SNPs scheme comes in in the spring - ho ho.

• Options
    isam said:

So what? Firstly it's a completely different issue, and secondly his views have no doubt evolved since 2003, like many people's.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @TwistedFireStopper

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/firefighters-react-to-osbornes-autumn-statement/

What's your view on the FBU's response to the Autumn Statement?

Apparently they published it 90minutes before the *start* of Osborne's speech
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited December 2014
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 4m4 minutes ago
    ELBOW 30 Nov UPDATE 4 TNS 27 Nov: Lab 33.3, Con 31.2, UKIP 16.3, LD 7.3 (Lab was 33.5, Con 31.4, UKIP 16.1, LD 7.4)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/540132429693206529
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

I've actually got a lot of respect for politicians who changed their mind about gay rights - it's a desperately delicate subject for a lot of people. What dave did took guts.
  • Options

Arhhhh "Mansion Tax" by back door....£1 million properties are going to get hit for more money. Attempting to shot Labour / Lib Dem fox, and giving people a tax cut at the bottom.

Only payable if you move house, not if you sit in one....
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ok and the stopwatch starts...how long before something unwinds or find George has told a porky or two.
  • Options
    Passing on your ISA to spouse is a nice boost too.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

I don't think Boris was his original name. But if that's what he wants to be called I see no reason to call him something else
    I believe Boris is his stage name (and actually his first name).

His friends and family call him Alexander.
  • Options
    Was it last year that Balls had a mare of a response?
  • Options

isam said:

So what? Firstly it's a completely different issue, and secondly his views have no doubt evolved since 2003, like many people's.
    Yes his views may have evolved, and you are entitled to take him at face value if you like, as am I to suspect he puts what he thinks will get him votes before what he really believes
  • Options
    What's Myleene Klass going to say about a 12% tax on a £2million garage?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    That's a much better structure for stamp duty. Pretty pricey at the top end, though.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 4 mins4 minutes ago

So @KlassMyleene what do you think about 12% stamp duty on £2m garages? #AS2014

LOL
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't see how one is related to the other.
  • Options

Was it last year that Balls had a mare of a response?

Yup, he was as rubbish as Hannibal at Zama
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

I believe Boris is his stage name (and actually his first name).

His friends and family call him Alexander.
    Wiki has his first name as Alexander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson

But that doesn't guarantee anything of course as anyone can edit it.
  • Options

A once off payment is different to a yearly bill.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

That's a much better structure for stamp duty.

Curiously fast implementation. Glad I am not buying a house this week.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    TGOHF said:

A once off payment is different to a yearly bill.
    Yes I know, hence why I put it in speech marks. It is clear what George is going to say is (and he said it in the speech), hey my "mansion tax" is better than Labours, but we are tough on the rich but not on the grannies.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HOUSE !!

Do I pay stamp duty on my winnings ??

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Apparently if you have exchanged but not completed you can choose which system to use - seems sensible.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

HOUSE !!

12%
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't see how one is related to the other.
    Well it takes all sorts
  • Options
    Has Ed Balls apologised for Labour fecking the economy yet?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I suppose he doesn't want to distort the market by people delaying or bringing forward sales.

I presume the cut-off date relates to exchange of contract - if not, people could find themselves contractually bound to find an additional sum. As it is it will be disruptive in the short term.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited December 2014
    TGOHF said:

Jonathan said:

Apparently if you have exchanged but not completed you can choose which system to use - seems sensible.
    Imagine solicitors phones are ringing today to make sure exchange happens today. There will be a fair few unhappy folk out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    Blimey! Moving mansions is going to cost. Will this drive down mansion prices?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Bercow needs to up his game.

The barracking of Balls is too OTT.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

HOUSE !!

12%
    Better keep my London garage then ....

• Options

Jonathan said:

I suppose he doesn't want to distort the market by people delaying or bringing forward sales.

I presume the cut-off date relates to exchange of contract - if not, people could find themselves contractually bound to find an additional sum. As it is it will be disruptive in the short term.
    In fairness to GO on this one any new system is going to have a couple of wrinkles in transition - no reason not to change it though.
This discussion has been closed.