Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From YouGov: How would Jesus view immigration, gay marriage

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From YouGov: How would Jesus view immigration, gay marriage, renationalising the railways and the death penalty

Don't quite know what to make of this YouGov polling. How would Jesus view immigration & gay marriage? pic.twitter.com/OqnrugmJ9k

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Jesus fucking christ lol................
  • Options
    Jesus would be pro gay marriage.

I mean, he had two Dads, and hung around with 12 guys.
  • Options
    Are we going to get polling on what would Abraham, Mohammed, Buddha and Moses would do ?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    'By 38%-6% the YouGov sample say Jesus would support the renationalisation of the railways. '

Ha ha ha.

Who's the genius that thought this up?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I don't remember it being a British Rail donkey that He used to ride into Jerusalem.

And I think that God (the Father, at least) didn't have that much of an issue with the death penalty, and Jesus (after a little of whinging, maybe) accepted the concept!

So all this does is prove that the British people aren't that well educated!
  • Options
    Maybe Jesus will get his PFI after all !
  • Options
    @LadPolitics

Reckless likely to lose Rochester next May, say bookies. http://ow.ly/EViA5
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Who paid for the poll...?
  • Options
    How would Jesus view the England one day cricket team?

Send the buggers straight to hell.
  • Options
    This is the most WTF thread in a long time ...!
  • Options
    Are we allowed to make religiously non-PC comments / inuendos?

(I was thinking of something about Mohammed and non-death penalties)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Who paid for the poll...?

The Church of England?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Patrick said:

Are we allowed to make religiously non-PC comments / inuendos?

(I was thinking of something about Mohammed and non-death penalties)

Qu'ran 5:33

Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

The old testament/tanakh has a good long list of actions punishable by death too:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Actions_punishable_by_death_in_the_Old_Testament
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Seriously.

If you had spent the night travelling through Judea on a rail replacement donkey service, you too would support re-nationalisation.
  • Options

@LadPolitics

Reckless likely to lose Rochester next May, say bookies. http://ow.ly/EViA5

Tragic.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I don't know what is stranger, that this poll was commissioned or some of the responses, 17% think Jesus would be pro death penalty!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Polling jumps the shark?

• Options
    FPT @FrancisUrqhart

What intrigued me was the other images at the bottom, and in particular the one of the woman with a sign saying "Hands off our future. Free education now"

That's a very clear statement of greed: I want my future to be paid for by someone else. I'm not prepared to invest in education and personal skill development myself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-30190961
  • Options
    Deuteronomy 13:16

And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment,

Lol no wonder the Middle East is in trouble with those nutjob verses being the foundations of two of the big religions there.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Seriously.

If you had spent the night travelling through Judea on a rail replacement donkey service, you too would support re-nationalisation.

On that argument you should nationalise the hotel sector as well: it's outrageous that there was no room for a pregnant single mother(-to-be)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

Jesus would be pro gay marriage.

I mean, he had two Dads, and hung around with 12 guys.

There was a lot of talk about him and John the Baptist, I believe.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    Jonathan said:

Seriously.

Given that He walked on water, I doubt that He would stand around waiting for a replacement anything. He had the Ascension option as well.

• Options
    Kind of strange for me to consider as an atheist but my impression of the basic principles of Christianity would have led me to believe that JC would have been strongly anti - death penalty, pro-immigration, pro gay - marriage and utterly bewildered by strange fire breathing metal monsters and discussions about their ownership.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

And thou shalt gather all the spoil of it into the midst of the street thereof, and shalt burn with fire the city, and all the spoil thereof every whit, for the LORD thy God: and it shall be an heap for ever; it shall not be built again.

Lol no wonder the Middle East is in trouble with those nutjob verses being the foundations of two of the big religions there.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

• Options
    What are the odds on england losing by over 100 runs? anyone know how to back that?
  • Options
    glw said:

I don't know what is stranger, that this poll was commissioned or some of the responses, 17% think Jesus would be pro death penalty!

Perhaps they think that he would see this 'death' lark as merely an excuse proffered by the feckless, and that they need to be incentivised to resurrect themselves back into the life market.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are we going to get polling on what would Abraham, Mohammed, Buddha and Moses would do ?

Asking what one of those in particular thought would be so inflammatory, they wouldn't dare do it.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    He had the Ascension option as well.

And healing the sick for free. Wonder what he would think of the NHS on that basis. How much art thou paying a GP???
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    FPT
    Jonathan said:

Moses_ said:

What you actually describe are services paid for out of taxation. The taxation comes from the private sector. It also comes from taxation from the public sector which is initially money raised in taxation by the private sector and paid to public servants to run the services you have quoted. Please remember the government has no money of its own it has raised tax revenue, borrowings and assets that were paid for via previous taxation on the workforce and other entities of one sort or another.

Why is this so hard for the left to understand its O level economics FFS. Is it any wonder that Labour left us in the mess they did.

And the private sector could not make the profits without the public sector services it relies on.

It's a classic chicken and egg. Both sectors depend on each other. Both create wealth. It's madness to pretend otherwise.

Agreed

I did not say we don't need them only where the money comes from
  • Options
    This polling, it shows us how people's own opinions bias their view of other people's opinions.

This isn't that ground-breaking, because we see it here everyday. Righties accuse lefties of wanting to drag the country down into a Stalinist nightmare, while lefties accuse righties of wanting to see the poor forced to sell their spare kidney to pay for food and housing.

Jesus is good. I am not bad. Disagreeing with Jesus is bad. Therefore I must agree with Jesus. It follows that the opinions of Jesus will match my own. QED

• Options

What are the odds on england losing by over 100 runs? anyone know how to back that?

You could use the betfair market on total England runs as a proxy

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/cricket/event?id=27279570&exp=e
  • Options
    This has to be the weirdest set of polling since YouGov polled me last summer, for I assume was private polling, some of the questions on the party leaders were a little bit erm

For example, if Dave, Nick, Ed and Nigel were an animal, what kind of animal would they be/if they were a car, what kind of car would they be.

Also asked what kind of breed of dog they would be.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    ThomasNashe,

"There was a lot of talk about him and John the Baptist, I believe."

Not in the Bible. They only met once - on the banks of the Jordan. I think you might be confusing it with recent paperback fiction. Easy mistake to make if you're never read the Bible, though.

Unless, of course, you're making a point about their theological relationship.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

This polling, it shows us how people's own opinions bias their view of other people's opinions.

This isn't that ground-breaking, because we see it here everyday. Righties accuse lefties of wanting to drag the country down into a Stalinist nightmare, while lefties accuse righties of wanting to see the poor forced to sell their spare kidney to pay for food and housing.

Jesus is good. I am not bad. Disagreeing with Jesus is bad. Therefore I must agree with Jesus. It follows that the opinions of Jesus will match my own. QED

It would be interesting to survey what people think Mohammed's views on the same issues were.

Mohammed on Gay marriage. Difficult one to call...
  • Options
    Isn't this the thread for Christmas Day?

What would Jesus ("In my Father's house are many mansions.") think of the Mansion Tax?
  • Options
    This umpire doesn't like Cook does he.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    taffys said:

He had the Ascension option as well.

And healing the sick for free. Wonder what he would think of the NHS on that basis. How much art thou paying a GP???

"The worker is worthy of his wages"

As quoted by Luke 10:7

• Options
    How would Jesus view AV or FPTP?
  • Options
    Expect Kippers to go all Myleene Klass on Catherine Tate
  • Options

Let he who is without sin cast the first vote.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Pulpstar said:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

And The Sun

Big John 14.31
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Matthew 13:13
    This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2014

"Let him that wishes to elect an assembly use the formula known as PR-squared" Crosby I, 12:13
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Let he who is without Sun read the Mirror
  • Options
    edited November 2014

This has to be the weirdest set of polling since YouGov polled me last summer, for I assume was private polling, some of the questions on the party leaders were a little bit erm

For example, if Dave, Nick, Ed and Nigel were an animal, what kind of animal would they be/if they were a car, what kind of car would they be.

and your answers...?

Dave: Cat. - Pretends to be affectionate when it wants something
    Ed: Least Weasel*
    Nick: Domesticated Mouse - bites randomly

Dave: Merc - reliable, but somehow unlovable. Heavy steering, drifts to the right
    Ed: Landwind X7**
    Nick: Peugeot Clio. Really, what is the point?

Dave: Labrador (yellow) - nice, well-meaning, but lazy and ineffectual;
    Ed: Jack Russell - yappy and irritating, gets pushed around by the bigger dogs
    Nick: Pomchi - they really exist, but no one knows what for***

* "the tiny beast appears more like a parasite than a predator as it latches onto the neck of its larger prey items and drains blood from the jugular vein" http://listverse.com/2013/06/27/10-most-downright-ferocious-or-ill-tempered-animals/

** http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846676/Fury-China-unveils-14-000-copy-Range-Rover-British-company-legal-action-little-known-manufacturer-launches-brazen-copy-roader.html

*** http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/pomchi.htm
  • Options
    It's difficult to take seriously but ...

On the assumption that the Golden Rule applies, then he'd be more in line with a LD/Guardian reader but without their superiority complex and their bed-wetting tendencies.

• Options
    Charles said:

and your answers...?

Dave: Merc - reliable, but somehow unlovable. Heavy steering, drifts to the right

* "the tiny beast appears more like a parasite than a predator as it latches onto the neck of its larger prey items and drains blood from the jugular vein" http://listverse.com/2013/06/27/10-most-downright-ferocious-or-ill-tempered-animals/

** http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846676/Fury-China-unveils-14-000-copy-Range-Rover-British-company-legal-action-little-known-manufacturer-launches-brazen-copy-roader.html

And your answers for Forage?
  • Options

Charles said:

and your answers...?

And your answers for Forage?
    Took me long enough to come up with answers for Dave, Nick and Ed.

Your turn first.
  • Options
    67% of pub owners think Jesus should be charged alcohol duty when turning water into wine.

(daft thread)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Blessed be the kippers for they shall truly inherit the - clacton on sea!
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Labour would need Jesus in their party. If he can turn water into wine, he can easily create a magic money tree
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited November 2014
    On immigration,Jesus would think there were too many Italians about taking up lucrative posts such as executioners, slave owners and judges imo

I think Jesus would take some time to get around to the nuanced points of who should run railways given he probably would need the best part of a year to get up to speed with this non- horse powered new fangled thing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

and your answers...?

For the cars I think I said

Dave is a Maserati (vastly overrated, but better than most of what is out there)

Nick Clegg was a BMW 1 Series (you had high hopes, but is not as good as you hoped, anyone who has ever been in a 1 series, will tell you, they are designed for midgets)

Ed Miliband was a SmartCar, you see them, and think why? WHY? WHY?

Nigel Farage was I think a Ford XR3i (which by the way something my dad drove in the 80s, a white one, replete with a white spoiler)
  • Options
    How would Jesus bet on the vexed question of which party will have the most Scottish seats come May?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Jesus saves, with these current interest rates? Who is he kidding.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,966
    edited November 2014
    dr_spyn said:

Jesus saves, with these current interest rates? Who is he kidding.

"Jesus saves..."

But Toshack bangs in the rebound
  • Options
    Jesus saves but Agurero gets the rebound.
  • Options
    From a Liverpool Church notice board.

What will ye do when Christ comes to Liverpool.

Play St John at outside right, and Christ as centre forward.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Would the devil approve of UKIP?
  • Options
    What would Jesus's view be on the increasing popularity of cults, such as the SNP?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think Jesus would hand over most current politicians to the Romans

Personally I cannot understand how some people on the right of politics can be christians, given some of their views.
  • Options
    What would Brian's view be on all of these important issues?

(Apart from 'fuck the Judean Nationalist Party' obviously)
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Personally I cannot understand how some people on the right of politics can be christians, given some of their views.

Then you don't understand the Parable of the Talents, the Parable of the Prodigal Son or the Parable of the Watchful Servants or the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

And that's just for starters.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

What would Brian's view be on all of these important issues?

(Apart from 'fuck the Judean Nationalist Party' obviously)

Its the National Judean People's Party to you, splitter....

• Options
    Charles said:

hucks67 said:

Then you don't understand the Parable of the Talents, the Parable of the Prodigal Son or the Parable of the Watchful Servants or the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

And that's just for starters.
    Not to mention that Jesus was none too keen on self-righteous Pharisees, though I'm sure any similarity with past or present Labour politicians is purely coincidental.

• Options
    CD13 said:

ThomasNashe,

"There was a lot of talk about him and John the Baptist, I believe."

Not in the Bible. They only met once - on the banks of the Jordan. I think you might be confusing it with recent paperback fiction. Easy mistake to make if you're never read the Bible, though.

Unless, of course, you're making a point about their theological relationship.

I was thinking of the Renaissance tradition, most starkly evident in the 'Baines note' on the purported views of Christopher Marlowe: 'That St John the Evangelist was bedfellow to Christ and leaned always in his bosom, that he used him as the sinners of Sodoma'.

See also the wonderfully homoerotic portraits of John by Caravaggio.
  • Options
    All those who praise multiculturism should reflect that if this thread was on another religion, it would be closed down amid a storm of protests and fatwas .
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Lets face it if Jesus was alive today NOBODY would give a toss about his views because he would be classed as a fantasist. What do you do when someone talks to you ,in all seriousness' about being the son of God and that he once fed 5 thousand people with a fish and that he has 12 best mates (all male!!) !

err you politely nod and then look to escape
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    edited November 2014
    With apologies to Monty Python fans:

There are Greens in the world there are Kippers
    There are Labour and Tories, and then
    There are those that follow Alex Salmond, but
    I've never been one of them

I'm a Liberal Democrat
    And have been since before I was born
    And the one thing they say about LibDems is
    They'll take you as soon as you're warm

You don't have to be a six-footer
    You don't have to have a great brain
    You don't have to have any clothes on you're
    A LibDem the moment Paddy came

Because every vote is sacred
    Every vote is great
    If a vote is wasted
    God gets quite irate

Every vote is sacred
    Every vote is great
    If a vote is wasted
    God gets quite irate

Let the Greenies spoil theirs
    On the dusty ground
    God shall make them pay for
    Each vote that can't be found

Every vote is wanted
    Every vote is good
    Every vote is needed
    In your neighborhood

Labour, Tory, SNP
    Spoil theirs just anywhere
    But God loves those who treat their
    Ballots with more care

Every vote is sacred
    Every vote is great
    If a vote is wasted
    God gets quite irate

Every vote is sacred
    Every vote is good
    Every vote is needed
    In your neighborhood

Every vote is useful
    Every vote is fine
    God needs everybody's
    Mine and mine and mine

Let the Kippers spoil theirs
    Over mountain, hill, and plain
    God shall strike them down for
    Each vote that's spoilt in vain

Every vote is sacred
    Every vote is good
    Every vote is needed
    In your neighborhood

Every vote is sacred
    Every vote is great
    If a vote is wasted
    God gets quite irate
  • Options
    ThomasNashe,

John the Evangelist supposedly wrote the fourth gospel, probably written last and towards the end of the first century.

John the Baptist had been beheaded many years earlier - think Salome and the dancing. He was also a strict hermit and lived on honey and insects. Not one for socialising with anyone.
  • Options

All those who praise multiculturism should reflect that if this thread was on another religion, it would be closed down amid a storm of protests and fatwas .

Thin-wa on you!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

Given that He walked on water, I doubt that He would stand around waiting for a replacement anything. He had the Ascension option as well.

Hmm - not sure Kippers would approve of middle eastern types who could walk on water - as they could easily avoid using patrolled ports to enter from Sangatte.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

Hmm - not sure Kippers would approve of middle eastern types who could walk on water - as they could easily avoid using patrolled ports to enter from Sangatte.
    but they allow immigrants in on a points basis I believe- and how many points does being able to walk on water get you? loads I would have thought!!
  • Options

Would the devil approve of UKIP?

"David Cameron" = Da Demon Vicar

:)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

but they allow immigrants in on a points basis I believe- and how many points does being able to walk on water get you? loads I would have thought!!
    you know "Points based" is code for "how white are you ?"

• Options

Lets face it if Jesus was alive today NOBODY would give a toss about his views because he would be classed as a fantasist. What do you do when someone talks to you ,in all seriousness' about being the son of God and that he once fed 5 thousand people with a fish and that he has 12 best mates (all male!!) !

err you politely nod and then look to escape

It's an easy way of getting space on a bus. Turn round to your neighbour, smile broadly and say: "I want to talk to you about Jesus."

• Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

Probably have a British passport anyway as anyone civilised knows that the Son of God must be an Englishman and probably from Yorkshire
  • Options
    I want to know what Brian thinks.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

And clearly being a very bad geography student, thinking that they'd come to England to rebuild Jerusalem.

• Options

I just loaded up a list of US Senators...

http://show.nojam.com/a65/search.php

I was looking for a list of UK MPs - with more details than just the name.

The parliament web site only seems to allow searching on its site (no download). Does anyone know of a list of open data like this?

• Options
    Boost for BOO campaign (and it needs one) - strangely the Telegraph assumes it will be DC who has to pick up the bill - what happens if Ed is PM ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11255493/UK-faces-34bn-bill-for-blackhole-in-EU-budget.html

"Auditors have identified a blackhole in European Union budgets that could lead to extra demands for cash from the British taxpayer of up to £34billion over the next six years.

David Cameron will be legally obliged to make up a share of a shortfall of £259billion by 2020 with liabilities for the Treasury estimated at £33.7bn, calculated at the usual rate of Britain’s EU contributions.

The hole in EU spending has been identified by the European Court of Auditor"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,966
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Seriously.

The Ghost of Will Self
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    What would Jesus think of a weaponised NHS?

(Other than that it will probably soon require a visit from one Ed Miliband, for self inflicted wounds to his feet, naturally....)
  • Options
    Someone down thread said "shouldn't this be a thread for Christmas Day?". Heretic! Burn them!!

Any yule fule know that Christmas Day is Crossword Day......
  • Options
    speaking of Fantasists, I have just watched 'The secret life of Walter Mitty' - What a great little film, would love to go to Greenland and Iceland after watching that!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Sorry, they've just identified a third of a trillion euro black hole in the EU budget.

What?!?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Boost for BOO campaign (and it needs one) - strangely the Telegraph assumes it will be DC who has to pick up the bill - what happens if Ed is PM ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11255493/UK-faces-34bn-bill-for-blackhole-in-EU-budget.html

"Auditors have identified a blackhole in European Union budgets that could lead to extra demands for cash from the British taxpayer of up to £34billion over the next six years.

David Cameron will be legally obliged to make up a share of a shortfall of £259billion by 2020 with liabilities for the Treasury estimated at £33.7bn, calculated at the usual rate of Britain’s EU contributions.

The hole in EU spending has been identified by the European Court of Auditor"

Is that before or after the rebate?

• Options
    edited November 2014

Someone down thread said "shouldn't this be a thread for Christmas Day?". Heretic! Burn them!!

That was me.

Gulp!

Will my Post of the Year (your words not mine) not save me?!

I may have to pray.

• Options

speaking of Fantasists, I have just watched 'The secret life of Walter Mitty' - What a great little film, would love to go to Greenland and Iceland after watching that!!

The Good Lady Wifi is taking me to Iceland shortly, to hopefully see the Northern Lights.

And - voodoo dolls at the ready - the set of Game of Thrones.

• Options

One Christmas my (ex) stepmother wanted to go to church in the morning before cooking lunch. Which meant lunch would be somewhat on the late side. Which meant my father was going to miss most of The Great Escape or whatever it was he planned to spend the afternoon vegetating in front of. It became a religion vs telly argument. At which point my father came out with the gem: "How can we let bloody religion ruin Christmas?" What a dude!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sorry, they've just identified a third of a trillion euro black hole in the EU budget.

What?!?

They haven't spent it yet ...

"In a special report earlier this week, EU auditors identified the sum in outstanding bills for legally binding spending commitments made by the European Commission over the last four years.
    “Assuming that commitments will not be de-committed, and we don’t see how most of them could, it might be problematic to get this money from member states to finance the expenditure foreseen,” Igor Ludborzs, an EU auditor, told the Euractiv website."
  • Options
    RobD said:

What?!?

At some point, you just have to acknowledge that your much cherished old banger is a scrapper - and put it into the crusher.....
  • Options
    That said, Al Darling managed to lose HALF a trillion POUNDS down the back of the sofa between Statements to the House, so I'm sure the Europhiles will tell us we can just take it in our stride......
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    CD13 said:

ThomasNashe,

John the Evangelist supposedly wrote the fourth gospel, probably written last and towards the end of the first century.

John the Baptist had been beheaded many years earlier - think Salome and the dancing. He was also a strict hermit and lived on honey and insects. Not one for socialising with anyone.

Yes, Caravaggio (whom it's fair to say was obsessed by J the B) also painted that subject on more than one occasion. In fact his late painting of the beheading which can be found in the Cathedral of St John in Valetta is in my view the most powerful painting in the history of western Art.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

What?!?

They haven't spent it yet ...

"In a special report earlier this week, EU auditors identified the sum in outstanding bills for legally binding spending commitments made by the European Commission over the last four years.
    “Assuming that commitments will not be de-committed, and we don’t see how most of them could, it might be problematic to get this money from member states to finance the expenditure foreseen,” Igor Ludborzs, an EU auditor, told the Euractiv website."
    Well, things in a budget tend not to be ;) It just shows how they can't add up, which is extremely worrying.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That was me.

Gulp!

Will my Post of the Year (your words not mine) not save me?!

I may have to pray.

It will be entered into mitigation. But this is a tough looking jury.....
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

"Auditors have identified a blackhole in European Union budgets that could lead to extra demands for cash from the British taxpayer of up to £34billion over the next six years. ...obliged to make up a share of a shortfall of £259billion by 2020 with liabilities for the Treasury estimated at £33.7bn, calculated at the usual rate of Britain’s EU contributions....."

No problem if EdM is PM . His socialist party believes in the Magic Money Tree and that all govt spending will just boost all the economies (see FPT). So socialist logic is that they need to spend more and anyway last time in Govt they lost half of the rebate in return for the display of someone's ankle so next time in Govt the socialists will end the rebate and pay £67bn in return for a smile from Merkel or a handshake from Hollande.... What could go wrong with this socialist thinking?
  • Options

RobD said:

What?!?

At some point, you just have to acknowledge that your much cherished old banger is a scrapper - and put it into the crusher.....
    http://moviedeaths.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/kick-ass-car-crusher.html
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

The EU remains rubbish, I see.
This discussion has been closed.