Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kippers least likely to have felt the recovery – Tories the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Kippers least likely to have felt the recovery – Tories the most likely

The chart is based on aggregate data for Populus polls last month and is broadly in line with what we seen from other pollsters. Those currently saying they’ll vote UKIP have the most negative views about the recovery.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    Given their demographics it's hardly surprising UKIP voters have not seen a recovery - many of them face long term stagnation or decline - to which there is no easy answer - for the government or UKIP. Similarly public sector Labour voters may be hoping for higher pay under a Labour government - but could also be disappointed. Oh and it's a long term plan......presumably to differentiate it from any short term wheeze Labour comes up with....
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited November 2014

Given their demographics it's hardly surprising UKIP voters have not seen a recovery - many of them face long term stagnation or decline - to which there is no easy answer - for the government or UKIP. Similarly public sector Labour voters may be hoping for higher pay under a Labour government - but could also be disappointed. Oh and it's a long term plan......presumably to differentiate it from any short term wheeze Labour comes up with....

I think that is true, where the Blue's get it wrong is to use that as an excuse to write those people off. That article by Matthew Parris about Clacton is one of the many reasons they are not doing so well.

UKIP might not have a magic prescription to help those people, but it creates the impression that is understands their problems and hence will help them if the opportunity arises.

The toxic combination of a cabinet full of wealth and privilege, and the dismissive attitude of the bien-pensant Tory centrists like Parris who openly say that the UKIP demographic should be humored but not listen to, that is what is killing the Tory vote, and swelling Farage's voter numbers.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Oh and it's a long term plan......presumably to differentiate it from any short term wheeze Labour comes up with....

I think it's a 'long term' plan, to excuse the awkward fact that after 5 years of coalition government, the UK has the largest budget deficit in the EU.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/did-george-osborne-halve-britains-eu-bill-by-admitting-that-his-growth-is-a-mirage/
  • Options
    I reckon a lot of these subsidiaries are actually working the other way around, ie people who are generally narked off with the government will give the government-hostile response to any vague question that they don't already have a strong opinion about.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I think that is true, where the Blue's get it wrong is to use that as an excuse to write those people off.
    When they write off the economic prospects of UKIP's supporters, they write off a big chunk of the population.

"The BES and UKHLS confirm that Ukip voters come disproportionately from the middle, rather than lower, rungs of the income spectrum. They are more likely to be homeowners, employed and politically conscious than the average white adult. True, older voters, and younger voters without qualifications, are overrepresented in the party. But this points to status rather than class, culture as opposed to economic position, as the motor of Ukip support.

In the BES, 18 per cent of White British people intend to vote Ukip in 2015. Among the 5500 whites polled who have university degrees but are poorer than average, support drops to just 11 per cent. For the 7300 whites in the sample lacking university degrees who are wealthier than average, it jumps to 21 per cent. The archetypal Ukiper is a successful plumber, comfortable retiree or construction foreman, not an unemployed, deskilled casualty of globalisation. They are ‘left out’ of the status elite, and therefore resentful, but are not left behind by the modern economy. "

http://quarterly.demos.co.uk/article/issue-4/the-dark-net-revolt-on-the-right-cricket/

The GDP success the Conservatives tout, is an increase in total GDP rather than GDP per capita. An increase in population rather than an increase in prosperity.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited November 2014
    So the police have just shut the road in front of my apartment, and I head two explosions which were really close.

Oh wow, there's a dumpster on fire outside! This is nuts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

So the police have just shut the road in front of my apartment, and I head two explosions which were really close.

Where are you?
  • Options

RobD said:

Where are you?
    In north Oakland
  • Options
    ok now the riot police are outside
  • Options
    RobD said:

Have there been riots in your town? I thought that was just Ferguson.
  • Options

RobD said:

Have there been riots in your town? I thought that was just Ferguson.
    There were some disturbances yesterday, but I think tonight is worse.
  • Options
    Got this snap, the police have moved on, I think they are following a group of protestors/rioters. The announcement that if I were outside I would be arrested according to section 409 of the penal code of the state of California seems to be fading into the distance!

http://i.imgur.com/8Ic9EYr.jpg

Fire fighters have put out the blaze. Happy to report my bin is still intact and ready for collection in the morning!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

I've always been worried by your PB persona and now the authorities have caught up with you !!

• Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

I've always been worried by your PB persona and now the authorities have caught up with you !!

This is one PB Tory they'll never catch!

The warnings have returned, as have the riot police.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Try to change the mood outside ....

Open a window and shout :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime MInister

• Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

I think I saw a banner saying #webacked, so that maybe unwise. ;)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Stay safe, Rob. I hope this passes you by quickly.
  • Options
    no civilians left outside, the police shepherd them along, just loads of police everywhere, and about five helicopters circling overhead!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Stay safe, Rob. I hope this passes you by quickly.

Thanks. Looks like things are better now (at least here). They've re-opened the roads and there is now some traffic outside.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,041
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Evidence?

Current polling and betting markets suggest otherwise....
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think he need to stick it up his Juncker

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11253267/Jean-Claude-Junckers-315bn-New-Deal-dismissed-as-a-subprime-gimmick.html
    The European Commission has launched a €315bn “New Deal” to pull Europe out of its economic slump over the next three years, but will provide almost no new money of its own and is relying on subprime forms of financial engineering.

... It depends on leverage that increases the headline figure by 15 times, leaving EU taxpayers bearing the heaviest risk while private investors are shielded from losses.

“The money is chicken feed and it won’t do anything to kick-start growth,” said Professor Charles Wyplosz, from Geneva University. “It is unbelievable they are doing this rather than real fiscal expansion. The private sector will just take governments to the cleaners.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Evidence?

Think you might need to check the context of the posting...
  • Options

Overall, pensioners have probably done better than any other grouping - except the very wealthy - over the last few years. Maybe it's more about not being happy with life generally.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Evidence?

murali_s said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Evidence?

You Labour luvvies make me sick.

If @RobC wants to fly the English flag from his house window and his white van and shout :

"Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister"

then I for one applaud him.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2014

Overall, pensioners have probably done better than any other grouping - except the very wealthy - over the last few years. Maybe it's more about not being happy with life generally.
    I totally agree - the benefit uprating and, above all, the rise in personal allowances - have left me significantly better off than when I first took early retirement on a public sector pension in 2009. I also occasionally suffer from gogs [grumpy old gits syndrome] - it can be very catching in the expat world. However, overall I totally count my blessings, I've always paid all my taxes, subscriptions, etc and never claimed housing, unemployment or most other benefits. I'm not due my pension for a few years yet but live very comfortably on my public sector pension. I have no desire for things like bus passes, winter fuel payment, etc. I'd prefer all of these things to be subsumed into the OAP provision and pay taxes on them like everyone else.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    edited November 2014

Well, I’m an OAP, but no Kipper; I’m never going to vote for them but can I say that over the past few years, if I were that way inclined I’d say that, in this area for example, it’s now common to have a bus operated by a non, or very limited English speaker, there are several shops indicating that they sell Eastern European foods .... and those shops have (I assume) Polish fascias. And there are several car washes operated by Eastern Europeans. So “there’s a lot of immigration”.
    Our local GP practice went through a bad time recruiting recently and it’s harder than it was a couple of years ago to get a hospital appointment. More than two weeks holiday means a fight to get a repeat prescription. Food prices seem to be rising; more slowly than they were, perhaps, admittedly, but......
    There are constant reliability problems with public transport locally.
    People in the pub are grumbling that their wages are static. "Haven’t had a rise for years" isn’t uncommon. Nor are complaints about job stability. Graduates are working in the bar of my local, complaining they can’t get “real” jobs.

Personally I can’t see that there are any Kipper policies which would do anything useful, and I’ve no problem with immigration; it’ll settle down and I rather expect that the wheel will turn before long and, as in the 80’s Brits will be flocking abroad.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    The sad truth is that very few indeed are benefitting from this recovery and those that are are not particularly grateful. The best example of the latter is the 1m or so pushed into low paid and exploitative jobs with little prospects.

This is because the main objective in the recovery to date is not to increase living standards (which have been falling) but to reduce borrowing and the extent to which UK plc is living beyond its means. The even more depressing reality is that we have several more years of this with very modest increases in real wages, a continuing downward pressure on government spending and, most likely, increases in the tax burden overall whatever happens to Income tax.

What Labour is doing rather well is pretending that there are some large gains from the recovery but that they are being squirreled away by those largely mythical tory cronies. In reality the very well paid of 2007, such as bankers and financial investors, are doing much worse than they were then and have borne more than their share of the pain.

Most of this problem comes from a determined refusal on behalf of the public and most of the media to refuse to recognise how parlous a situation we were in in 2010 and how much needs to be done to undo the Brown damage.

In my experience Kippers are even more likely than the majority to take that view. Why has Osborne not snapped his fingers and made the largest deficit in the western world disappear? He just can't be bothered! Why has he not, at the same time, spent much more on [my favourite hobbyhorse]? He just doesn't care! Why doesn't the government recognise that the EU is the source of all our problems (apart from immigration)? They are just stupid!

The population are looking for quick fixes and simple solutions. If they are still in the same mood in May the Tories will lose and "price freeze Ed" will indeed be PM. Ho hum.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    What would a recovery feel like ?

Low interest rates ?
    Tax cuts for the low paid ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Index linked state pension
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

If only those were the case.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,879

I think few people have done well since 2008 (including pensioners and the very wealthy). It's more a case of doing less badly than others.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I think that is true, where the Blue's get it wrong is to use that as an excuse to write those people off. That article by Matthew Parris about Clacton is one of the many reasons they are not doing so well.

UKIP might not have a magic prescription to help those people, but it creates the impression that is understands their problems and hence will help them if the opportunity arises.

The toxic combination of a cabinet full of wealth and privilege, and the dismissive attitude of the bien-pensant Tory centrists like Parris who openly say that the UKIP demographic should be humored but not listen to, that is what is killing the Tory vote, and swelling Farage's voter numbers.
    It should be Politics 101, but if you give the impression that you like and respect a particular group of voters, a lot of them will support you, even if they don't think you'll do very much for them. If you don't the reverse will be true.
  • Options
    @DavidL

"The population are looking for quick fixes and simple solutions. If they are still in the same mood in May the Tories will lose and "price freeze Ed" will indeed be PM. Ho hum. "

It seems to have been thus for many years. When I was young my family debated long and hard before increasing their monthly outgoings by taking their first mortgage - in their early 40s!

In my early 30s I lived with bare floorboards [not the trendy stripped and polished version!] and hand me down furniture in my first flat as I couldn't afford better on my teacher's pay. The thing is you waited and did without. People won't do this nowadays. I feel no guilt at my current comfort because I did without earlier.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    TGOHF said:

Low interest rates ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

Certainly.

But for people to feel the benefit it sort of needed to happen a couple of years back and be matched with rising wages.

We are faced with the prospect of the benefits of recovery coming too late to appreciably help Cameron.
  • Options
    @DavidL - "In reality the very well paid of 2007, such as bankers and financial investors, are doing much worse than they were then and have borne more than their share of the pain."

Really? Property prices have soared, quantitative easing has provided all kinds of opportunities, the markets have generally been moving northwards, the cost of borrowing is lower than it has ever been before, dividend taxes have been cut. There's never been a better time to be very wealthy.
  • Options
    DavidL

True.

If Dave gets re-elected then they can all blame the nasty Tories one more time for doing the necessary. I think where the 'disconnect / does not compute' will kick into overdrive is if Ed gets to become PM. The bursting of the 'jam tomorrow and forever' bubble is going to be brutal.

FWIW I'm beginning to reconcile myself to the likelihood of a Redward premiership and the meltdown it will bring. I'm beginning to think that as a country we need that meltdown to get people to understand properly what a deep mess we are still in and what getting out of it will entail. Just as alcoholics need their epiphany before they can cure themselves - maybe we need our Ed / Labour epiphany before we can all get behind fixing the country.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Well, I’m an OAP, but no Kipper; I’m never going to vote for them but can I say that over the past few years, if I were that way inclined I’d say that, in this area for example, it’s now common to have a bus operated by a non, or very limited English speaker, there are several shops indicating that they sell Eastern European foods .... and those shops have (I assume) Polish fascias. And there are several car washes operated by Eastern Europeans. So “there’s a lot of immigration”.
    Our local GP practice went through a bad time recruiting recently and it’s harder than it was a couple of years ago to get a hospital appointment. More than two weeks holiday means a fight to get a repeat prescription. Food prices seem to be rising; more slowly than they were, perhaps, admittedly, but......
    There are constant reliability problems with public transport locally.
    People in the pub are grumbling that their wages are static. "Haven’t had a rise for years" isn’t uncommon. Nor are complaints about job stability. Graduates are working in the bar of my local, complaining they can’t get “real” jobs.

Personally I can’t see that there are any Kipper policies which would do anything useful, and I’ve no problem with immigration; it’ll settle down and I rather expect that the wheel will turn before long and, as in the 80’s Brits will be flocking abroad.
    The best way to reverse net immigration is to crash the economy. I am sure Ed and Ed are more than capable of doing a Hollande!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

Low interest rates ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

Lol!

@seanF

I think few people have done well since 2008 (including pensioners and the very wealthy). It's more a case of doing less badly than others.

Simply not true - I'm one of many thousands of retirees on good modest pensions whose income has increased considerably since 2010 mainly because of the tax improvements and low inflation. Many thousands more have benefited from council tax freezes and low mortgage rates as well. Even the so-called pay freezes have not affected increments in many public sector jobs. Currently we have much lower oil prices as well. People really need to be more modest in their expectations. It's sad to read otherwise sensible kippers like yourself falling into the trap of negativity about everything.
  • Options

@DavidL - "In reality the very well paid of 2007, such as bankers and financial investors, are doing much worse than they were then and have borne more than their share of the pain."

Really? Property prices have soared, quantitative easing has provided all kinds of opportunities, the markets have generally been moving northwards, the cost of borrowing is lower than it has ever been before, dividend taxes have been cut. There's never been a better time to be very wealthy.

The mid-1980s, in my experience, were a much better time to be wealthy, or at any rate, well-off. But, what you didn't have then was the vast number of super-rich non-doms living in London. They make the city unaffordable for the merely well-off.
  • Options
    felix said:

@DavidL

"The population are looking for quick fixes and simple solutions. If they are still in the same mood in May the Tories will lose and "price freeze Ed" will indeed be PM. Ho hum. "

It seems to have been thus for many years. When I was young my family debated long and hard before increasing their monthly outgoings by taking their first mortgage - in their early 40s!

In my early 30s I lived with bare floorboards [not the trendy stripped and polished version!] and hand me down furniture in my first flat as I couldn't afford better on my teacher's pay. The thing is you waited and did without. People won't do this nowadays. I feel no guilt at my current comfort because I did without earlier.

I still remember in the very early 70s my dad, who was a clever man, much more so than me, and a qualified accountant who was in the army calculated that if he bought one of the houses in Harestock, just outside Winchester, for about £5,000 he would end up paying nearly £250K by the time the mortgage was paid off. Or, to look at it another way, almost half what those houses were worth 20 years later. Having come from working class stock in Dundee he always had a fear of debt and it took my mother decades to persuade him that even a mortgage was a safe way to borrow.

This is what I got taught. I have never run a balance on my credit card from month to month. I didn't even have one until I was about 30. I have only had about 3 loans in my life for non mortgage things and none for years. I have been far too cautious in borrowing to invest and have lost out hugely as a result. My children seem to have a more liberal view of what is possible.

I am way to far at the wrong end of the scale but I agree that too many are at the other and their willingness to spend tomorrow's income today has infected their political views.
  • Options

Property prices have only soared in some very specific parts of London - my own former property in SE London is currently values at £260000 - I sold it in 2008 for £250000 and a year before that it was valued at £300000. My mother's house in the north-east is valued £10,000 less than when she died 4 years ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Patrick said:

DavidL
    FWIW I'm beginning to reconcile myself to the likelihood of a Redward premiership and the meltdown it will bring. I'm beginning to think that as a country we need that meltdown to get people to understand properly what a deep mess we are still in and what getting out of it will entail. Just as alcoholics need their epiphany before they can cure themselves - maybe we need our Ed / Labour epiphany before we can all get behind fixing the country.

What is the likelihood that the economy will really crash, rather then just get markedly worse on the fundamentals whilst looking slightly better to the voters. Are the bond markets really likely to throw a fit when parts of the EU are in a significantly worse state? I am wondering if Ed will just print a big pile of money and spray it around, there will be some flashy public works programs to employ people and look like something is happening, a nice round of pay rises for the public sector voters workers, maybe some more hospitals and school bought on tick. We could end up in five years time with Ed look relatively popular, but with 2.5tn of debt, and devalued pound which will no doubt be blamed on other countries. If the Euro implodes the money markets will have far bigger worried than the UK debt I would have thought.
  • Options
    felix said:

TGOHF said:

Low interest rates ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

Lol!

@seanF

Simply not true - I'm one of many thousands of retirees on good modest pensions whose income has increased considerably since 2010 mainly because of the tax improvements and low inflation. Many thousands more have benefited from council tax freezes and low mortgage rates as well. Even the so-called pay freezes have not affected increments in many public sector jobs. Currently we have much lower oil prices as well. People really need to be more modest in their expectations. It's sad to read otherwise sensible kippers like yourself falling into the trap of negativity about everything.

It's not being negative. GDP per head is clearly lower than at the start of 2008, though clearly better than in May 2010. But, the growth in GDP per head of 2-2.5% we had from 1950-2000, doesn't look as if it's returning. Maybe 1% per head is the new normal.

• Options

Property prices in most of the country are still below what they were in 2008 in real terms. Only London has been materially different and that is because of the extraordinary influx of foreign money. QE helped the government rig their debt market and borrow cheaply.

To the extent it helped the banks (who were given guaranteed profits by buying gilts and selling it to the BoE) it at best moderated their balance sheet cuts. Money was plentiful and available for the daftest investments prior to 2008. Clients of mine still cannot get borrowing on ridiculous LTV ratios and investment suffers as a result.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    DavidL said:

Property prices in most of the country are still below what they were in 2008 in real terms. Only London has been materially different and that is because of the extraordinary influx of foreign money. QE helped the government rig their debt market and borrow cheaply.

To the extent it helped the banks (who were given guaranteed profits by buying gilts and selling it to the BoE) it at best moderated their balance sheet cuts. Money was plentiful and available for the daftest investments prior to 2008. Clients of mine still cannot get borrowing on ridiculous LTV ratios and investment suffers as a result.
    I reckon 2.25* income for joint, 4* income for single max.

I too am actually quite cautious, despite what one may think of my betting here saying otherwise when it come to borrowing. I currently owe the bank/long term student debt just over 2* income and am in my early 30s.
  • Options
    Indigo

The gilt markets will limit the amount Ed n Ed can borrow (at least at reasonable rates) - so the impact would be on interest rates. We might see the BoE having to buy all the gilts (a la Japan) in which case Sterling will crumble - horrific for a net importer (esp of energy) like us. Anyway, whatever degree of effwittery they inflict on the economy will be reflected in the markets - so perhaps self limiting. What is not self limiting is the political reaction to their impending acceleration of our public finances ruin. The political landscape in 2020 may be very much less friendly to them.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Patrick said:

DavidL

What is the likelihood that the economy will really crash, rather then just get markedly worse on the fundamentals whilst looking slightly better to the voters. Are the bond markets really likely to throw a fit when parts of the EU are in a significantly worse state? I am wondering if Ed will just print a big pile of money and spray it around, there will be some flashy public works programs to employ people and look like something is happening, a nice round of pay rises for the public sector voters workers, maybe some more hospitals and school bought on tick. We could end up in five years time with Ed look relatively popular, but with 2.5tn of debt, and devalued pound which will no doubt be blamed on other countries. If the Euro implodes the money markets will have far bigger worried than the UK debt I would have thought.
    The world economy has changed, and as far as I can see repetitive "economic stimulus" such as Japan just piles up debt and produces long term pain for precious little short term gain. I am sure that any EU "stimulus" or Ed and Ed "stimulus" would also make very little difference.

For the last 6 years interest rates have been extremely low, meaning that borrowing to fund living costs carries little pain and saving is not worthwhile. This is true for individuals as well as government. Until interest rates go back to historic norms living beyond ones means is easy.

Cash rich foreigners buy (and do not occupy) houses and flats in London for similar reasons. Real estate is historically a good investment.
  • Options

For the last 6 years interest rates have been extremely low, meaning that borrowing to fund living costs carries little pain and saving is not worthwhile. This is true for individuals as well as government. Until interest rates go back to historic norms living beyond ones means is easy.

Cash rich foreigners buy (and do not occupy) houses and flats in London for similar reasons. Real estate is historically a good investment.

So they might hold interest rates down and basically let inflation rip, try and inflate the debt away? Idiotic to be sure, but its Ed and Ed here, and the less well informed voters might like they house doubling in value, and Ed and Ed would certainly like everyone suddenly being caught by the mansion tax without them having to move the thresholds, but of fiscal drag on top of a lot of inflationary wage rounds and a load more people are paying 40%. Economics of the mad house, or possibly the Labour Party.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So wait, now you're telling me that foreign investors being put off from buying up London property by the Mansion Tax is a bad thing?

Have I stepped into some kind of alternate reality?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Alistair said:

So wait, now you're telling me that foreign investors being put off from buying up London property by the Mansion Tax is a bad thing?

No - in the real world rich people choosing to invest in your country is a good thing for the economy. The trick is to ensure that your tax regime is sufficient robust to ensure they pay their dues but not too punitive to prevent them investing in the first place. This is something Labour do not understand. They'd rather rich people left the country and took their wealth with them. How dumb is that?
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849639/EU-arrivals-won-t-new-IDS-benefit-New-arrivals-banned-having-wages-topped-new-universal-credit.html

"Jobseekers from the European Union are to be barred from having their wages topped up by the state, Iain Duncan Smith has revealed."

Anyone think this is going to remain the case for more than a week or two ? Its non-contributory, so presumably any EU citizen will be entitled to collect it, since they are entitled to be treated as a UK citizen under EU law.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    Surely it's less that 'kippers' are less likely to believe in the recovery and more that people who don't believe (quite sensibly it would seem) in the recovery are more likely to support UKIP?

And as such, this chart shows a magnificent potential harvest for UKIP, with Labour voters being the low hanging fruit, but the vast majority believing in a recovery that they haven't seen, nor are they likely to. When they become disabused of this notion, they will be looking outside the legacy parties.
  • Options
    felix said:

Alistair said:

No - in the real world rich people choosing to invest in your country is a good thing for the economy. The trick is to ensure that your tax regime is sufficient robust to ensure they pay their dues but not too punitive to prevent them investing in the first place. This is something Labour do not understand. They'd rather rich people left the country and took their wealth with them. How dumb is that?
    Wasn't someone "intensely relaxed about the filthy rich"

Seems the heir apparent is as well, perhaps someone should tell his party.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/why-chuka-umunna-intensely-relaxed-about-being-compared-peter-mandelson

"I don’t have a problem with people making a lot of money, so long as they pay their taxes and it’s good for our economy",
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and on thread, is there a view that the typical UKIP voter has a particular socio-economic experience making him/her more pessimistic about the economy? Makes me think back to Alf Garnett who moaned about everything and blamed black people for all his perceived ills in his society.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    TGOHF said:

Low interest rates ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

No.

Rising real wages and creation of decent jobs - rather than forcing people into burger flipping ones - are the only things that matter.

Far too late for the Tories to turn that around now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    BenM said:

No.

Rising real wages and creation of decent jobs - rather than forcing people into burger flipping ones - are the only things that matter.

Tell me, how does the government create decent jobs ? Ones that make money for the country I mean ?

• Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

Tell me, how does the government create decent jobs ? Ones that make money for the country I mean ?

It doesn't cut spending.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

Easy - the all new MMMT - Milibanda Magicus Dineros Arboleoris!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Moon on a stick perhaps ?
    A free sedan chair staffed by white non immigrants ?

Now that would be a recovery eh ?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.
    Hate to break it to you, government jobs dont make money, they cost money. Private sector jobs make money, there's more of those been created in the UK than the rest of the EU put together.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    If we look at the average person's P&L account and balance sheet.

Gross income has not increased for most wage earners, but net income has increased due to income tax changes. We have become used to an annual pay increase and that has had to cease as the UK has become very uncompetitive globally.

Productivity has not increased and until that does, then wage increases cannot be justified.

At the same time, the nature of employment has changed with more people becoming self-employed/own companies and so being more independent and often sympathetic to UKIP because of that feeling of independency. Also this means a reduced tax take from these people.

So what about costs:

Initially food prices went up around 2010 due to global prices but this has reversed somewhat and will continue to do so as shoppers desert the main four supermarkets, on both price and quality. However, in the future food costs are likely to rise due to global demand.

Energy prices increased due to global pricing but also dependency on energy imports and the failure to plan for energy future during the 2000s.

Housing costs have increased, especially rents, due to the false house price level which was fostered in the 2000s by HMG inaction and devolving of responsibility. Also unchecked immigration in the 2000s put unplanned pressure on housing capacity as well as services.

Council tax has increased but should not have done so as councils were able to cut costs but not services but often chose to protect (and even increase) salaries and pensions.

Clothing has not cost more and has even reduced in price. Public transport has increased in cost or in country areas become uneconomic without subsidy.

So naturally there is a perception of feeling worse off, but as has been written before, the cuts have not been sufficient to really affect the deficit (and so the debt has climbed) mainly due to the slowing effect of a coalition.

We have not yet weaned ourselves from buying our goods etc from Asia, but the failure to innovate and match those imports with exports can only lead to a decline in national and personal wealth.

• Options
    felix said:

Property prices have only soared in some very specific parts of London - my own former property in SE London is currently values at £260000 - I sold it in 2008 for £250000 and a year before that it was valued at £300000. My mother's house in the north-east is valued £10,000 less than when she died 4 years ago.
    Property prices in London and some of the big cities like Edinburgh and Aberdeen have got so badly out of kilter with the rest of the country that mobility has basically halted for most people not willing to rent or travel for hours to get to work.

In our local towns and villages £150,000 will still secure a nice 2/3 bedroom terrace house or modest bungalow. If I sold my 6 bedroom country house sitting in 2.5 acres of gardens in Easter Ross, I might just about manage to buy a garden shed in a dodgy area of London.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.
    Hate to break it to you, government jobs dont make money, they cost money. Private sector jobs make money, there's more of those been created in the UK than the rest of the EU put together.
    Ah. I see you've been reading the Ladybird picture book "Rightwing Economics 101".

Private Sector Jobs have no greater value than any other job, as the UKs woeful productivity figures and dismal tax receipts make abundantly clear.

If zillions of burger flippers are so valuable to the economy - more so than, say, social workers - why is the deficit rising on the back of an undershoot in income tax receipts?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

On EU citizens being treated like UK citizens: does that mean they get to vote in General Elections?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Financier said:

If we look at the average person's P&L account and balance sheet.

Gross income has not increased for most wage earners, but net income has increased due to income tax changes.

Like many families, my Net income fell due to tax and benefit changes.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    TGOHF said:

Low interest rates ?
    Falling petrol prices ?
    Low inflation ?
    Falling unemployment ?

Unfortunately for most people majority of these are not of any help or are based on crap to start with. The vast majority are very much worse off than they were, only the top end have got more money than previously. Wage levels are at the same as 2000 but prices of everything anyone buys is not. Your recovery is a mirage for the majority.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Why would you feel a recovery if you were never affected by the down turn in the first place?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.
    Ah. I see you've been reading the Ladybird picture book "Rightwing Economics 101".

Private Sector Jobs have no greater value than any other job, as the UKs woeful productivity figures and dismal tax receipts make abundantly clear.

If zillions of burger flippers are so valuable to the economy - more so than, say, social workers - why is the deficit rising on the back of an undershoot in income tax receipts?
    If you the government have £10, and give me a fiver to cut your lawn, then I give you back £2 in tax, do you have more money or less money?
  • Options
    Mr. M, that's just wrong. Private sector jobs are a net source of tax revenue. By definition, public sector jobs are a net cost to the Treasury.
  • Options
    Poor Ben M, needs to realise the public sector spends money created by the private sector taken in taxation by the government. Wealth for the nation is only created in the private sector though some politicians have managed to use it to create a great deal of personal wealth.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Good morning, everyone.

On EU citizens being treated like UK citizens: does that mean they get to vote in General Elections?

If they fulfil the same condition a UK citizen would have to (ie residence) I suspect they can, its certainly what this article implies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11249808/Are-we-citizens-of-the-United-Kingdom-or-the-European-Union.html
    So clearly the answer should be to refuse such entitlements to incomers until they have lived in the country for some statutory period – say two years – and have established some sort of permanent residency. What could be more reasonable? Except that under present EU law, such a solution is illegal. Under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty (and now the UK Equalities Act of 2010) all EU citizens must be treated the same as native-born citizens in any member country. That is the real force of the "freedom of movement of labour" principle. If a UK citizen has an immediate right to all in-work benefits and to treatment free at the point of use by the NHS, then so must any EU citizen who resides here. Anything else is unlawful discrimination.
    Which seems a bit scarey to me, and extends Freedom of Movement way more than it at first appears.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, it's indefensible, if that's the case.
  • Options

Mr. M, that's just wrong. Private sector jobs are a net source of tax revenue. By definition, public sector jobs are a net cost to the Treasury.

Not so. I am sure the tax inspector who chases down rich evaders is a net contributor. Equally the doctor who puts workers back on their feet more than pays back their salary.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

Good morning all and on thread, is there a view that the typical UKIP voter has a particular socio-economic experience making him/her more pessimistic about the economy? Makes me think back to Alf Garnett who moaned about everything and blamed black people for all his perceived ills in his society.

How original, what a creative mind you have
  • Options

Poor Ben M, needs to realise the public sector spends money created by the private sector taken in taxation by the government. Wealth for the nation is only created in the private sector though some politicians have managed to use it to create a great deal of personal wealth.

Total rubbish, both sectors create wealth and are interdependent.

• Options
    Mr. Jonathan, that does assume the doctor only heals private sector workers.

As for the tax inspector, his wage (from the Treasury) exceeds the taxation he pays. He's reliant upon money paid by private sector workers for his wage. In short, the private sector could exist without him, he could not exist without the private sector.

I am not knocking the public sector, or saying they don't do important work. I'm saying that the private sector is the foundations upon which the public sector is built. Without private sector taxation there are no wages for doctors, nurses, bureaucrats, teachers and diversity co-ordinators.
  • Options
    isam said:

How original, what a creative mind you have
    I think there must have been a directive from CCHQ to bang on about race last night, all the significant Tory posters have made a point of mentioning it today. Ironic considering the racist immigration policy that had me jumping through endless hoops to get a visa for my coloured non-EU wife, but yet had I married a french woman she could have just walked in the door.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ed's gone back to political "Basics".

It doesn't matter how badly or well you are doing if someone else is doing better. And especially if that person is doing better undeservedly.

So ... Although you're doing badly, the bankers, rich people and tax avoiders are doing well - and it's all it's a deliberate plan by the Tories to look after their mates.

The famous "it's not fair" politics as taught in class 3C in primary school.

And the Tories are helping this meme along by some gormless policies. The master, Tony, introduced gormless policies too, but softened up the electorate first with the help of helpful media friends (and some arm twisting). Cammo and Ozzie don't see the necessity of doing this - after all, they already know best.

They deserve to lose.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

If that was the case the whole economy could be sustained by employing everyone in the public sector - oh wait we're in east Germany 40 years ago. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

If you the government have £10, and give me a fiver to cut your lawn, then I give you back £2 in tax, do you have more money or less money?
    That's just wrong.

If the government pays for people to do stuff, it gets all the money back in tax, less savings.

• Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

Way too complicated for the BenM' s of this world.
  • Options

Lets conduct a thought experiment.

Overnight the entire public sector disappears, the world would not be a very nice place because those people do all sorts of useful things, but it would continue, private enterprise would happen, money would be made, lots of the things the government does would be replaced by private providers.

or

Overnight the entire private sector disappears, the public sector rumbles on until pay day, and then notices there is no one to tax to pay them, and everyone goes on strike, or quits to do private work.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

If they fulfil the same condition a UK citizen would have to (ie residence) I suspect they can, its certainly what this article implies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11249808/Are-we-citizens-of-the-United-Kingdom-or-the-European-Union.html
    So clearly the answer should be to refuse such entitlements to incomers until they have lived in the country for some statutory period – say two years – and have established some sort of permanent residency. What could be more reasonable? Except that under present EU law, such a solution is illegal. Under the terms of the Lisbon Treaty (and now the UK Equalities Act of 2010) all EU citizens must be treated the same as native-born citizens in any member country. That is the real force of the "freedom of movement of labour" principle. If a UK citizen has an immediate right to all in-work benefits and to treatment free at the point of use by the NHS, then so must any EU citizen who resides here. Anything else is unlawful discrimination.
    Which seems a bit scarey to me, and extends Freedom of Movement way more than it at first appears.

They would need British, Irish, or Commonwealtb citizenship to vote in UK elections.

The article demonstrates one of the most pernicious parts of modern equality/human rights laws, namely that governments must not differentiate between their own citizens and foreign nationals.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

If the government pays for people to do stuff, it gets all the money back in tax, less savings.

Really? even when they spend lots of that money on imported goods ?

• Options
    Jonathan said:

I do a small amount of Private Practice. So the majority of the work I do in the NHS is a drain on the productive private sector, yet my private practice is identical work but the bedrock of society!

If we cut taxes by turning the NHS into a system paid for by private insurance it would do many things, but these would not include magically turn it into an economic powerhouse. If my tax cuts wind up leaving my pocket as insurance premiums then I am no better off!
  • Options

In short, the private sector could exist without him, he could not exist without the private sector.

Not so. They are interdependent.

Private enterprise is completely dependent on the rule of law, a fit and educated workforce, transport infrastructure... All wealth generated by the public sector.

You can't have one without the other.
  • Options
    Mr. F, cheers for that.

The EU's still off its bloody rocker, though.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

Wow - you are Ed Miliband. I worked in the public sector for 34 years and I never knew all my wages every month went back to the govt.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, on transport and education, we have both public and private sector provision. The rule of law is entirely maintained by the police, which is why I said that the public sector do important work. But without the private sector the police would have no wages (nor money to buy equipment or buildings or vehicles).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    felix said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

Wow - you are Ed Miliband. I worked in the public sector for 34 years and I never knew all my wages every month went back to the govt.
    It doesn't. But your spending is someone else's income that gets taxed.

This isn't that difficult to comprehend.

But the Right's failure to do so shows why they stuff up the economy time and time again.

Endnote on your Ed Miliband snark - he's an MSc in economics. Which means he has a higher academic qualification in the subject than Cameron and the useless Osborne.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Mr. F, cheers for that.

The EU's still off its bloody rocker, though.

You can vote in the EU or local elections if you are an EU citizen resident in the UK, how long will General Elections last I wonder.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/24/eu-citizens-prevented-voting-confusion-registration-forms

Petros Fassoulas, chair of European Movement UK, said: "It's definitely not good to see so many EU citizens feel disenfranchised because they could not vote. EU citizens' right to vote anywhere they live in the EU is a fundamental right and should not be compromised."
  • Options
    BenM said:

felix said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

But the Right's failure to do so shows why they stuff up the economy time and time again.
    And the left's failure to comprehend that every time you buy a good or service from outside the UK, so almost all online service, almost all electronics, most cars, most white goods, a fair chunk of our food etc etc. That money leaves the country. The only way it comes back is if we make stuff to export that another country buys from us.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    felix said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

Easy - the all new MMMT - Milibanda Magicus Dineros Arboleoris!
    I thought Dave was promiising tax cuts from the MMT source and that the IFS say Labs plans are fully funded
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

As for the tax inspector, his wage (from the Treasury) exceeds the taxation he pays. He's reliant upon money paid by private sector workers for his wage. In short, the private sector could exist without him, he could not exist without the private sector.

I am not knocking the public sector, or saying they don't do important work. I'm saying that the private sector is the foundations upon which the public sector is built. Without private sector taxation there are no wages for doctors, nurses, bureaucrats, teachers and diversity co-ordinators.

You have that completely arse about tit. The private sector is built on the public sector - otherwise how does the private sector worker get to work on those publicly owned and maintained roads, guarded by the police etc, etc. . .

The trick is making sure the public sector foundations are affordable and maintainable.
  • Options
    and in the real world you will always have a healthy balance between public and private sectors!! Any extreme of one creates hell holes like Somalia or North Korea/pol pot
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

felix said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

And the left's failure to comprehend that every time you buy a good or service from outside the UK, so almost all online service, almost all electronics, most cars, most white goods, a fair chunk of our food etc etc. That money leaves the country. The only way it comes back is if we make stuff to export that another country buys from us.
    That's understood well enough - notable that our trade balance is at record deficit under this awful and economically inept government then. And that's under austerity!
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    BenM said:

felix said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

No.

It doesn't cut spending.

That's just wrong.

Endnote on your Ed Miliband snark - he's an MSc in economics. Which means he has a higher academic qualification in the subject than Cameron and the useless Osborne.
    Winter of discontent, The Great recession of 2008!!
  • Options
    The public / private debate is a bit simplistic.
    There are systems which are 100% public (Soviet Union / North Korea) which do, undeniably, have a GDP and create things of value - just pitifully small amounts and your human rights get trampled to maintain the system.
    There are systems which are (nearly) 100% private - the bad old days of no public police/education/health/welfare/defence etc. In Tudor times the state levied about 2% tax on GDP and had to resort to new taxes every time the king wanted a war. Most of human history falls into this bracket.

The unavoidable learnings are that:
    1. Up to certain limit a state / public sector is vital to offer law/order/defence etc and avoid anarchy.
    2. Above that you're into choices - is it, for example, better to educate via the state or not?
    3. For many things choosing more state is good. The NHS (at least the concept of free at point of use helthcare) clearly adds value overall.
    4. Once you start getting into the realm of 'too much' you find the state smothers growth and freedoms. I think, for example, that health and education should be paid for out of general taxation but that the state itself should not provide them - but offer vouchers or purchase services in a free market.
    5. Fetishing either public or private will take you out of the 'value adding zone' - on eother side. In modern deficit funded welfare states we are well out of the value adding zone and into 'too much state'.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, the Romans levied very little in the way of taxation. What did for them, financially, was inflation caused by the idiotic donative system which ended up providing a constant incentive for regicide [*cough*excessivepublicsectorspending*cough*].
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    "Do you think Gordon Brown was a better or worse chancellor than George Osborne?"

33% Better
    29% Worse
    23% Same

YouGov for The Times Red Box
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited November 2014
    Patrick said:

DavidL

True.

If Dave gets re-elected then they can all blame the nasty Tories one more time for doing the necessary. I think where the 'disconnect / does not compute' will kick into overdrive is if Ed gets to become PM. The bursting of the 'jam tomorrow and forever' bubble is going to be brutal.

What practical steps can one take to insulate oneself from the consequences of this? I am thinking it makes sense to fix one's mortgage and have as much of one's savings as possible in something like US dollars.

At the start of September my job-related stock options were worth about £105,000 and now they're worth about £130,000, most of which gain is dollar rather than stock price appreciation. I will need to flog some of these when they vest but I have a feeling I should minimise this selling.

I have a BTL worth 7 figures too. It seems clear Ed's mansion tax will eventually be applied to all property in Tory constituencies, so I am thinking it might make sense to sell that and buy two for say 40% of the price each and hold the rest of the money in classic cars - an XK140 and a nice E Type, for example.

Having money in a property or a pension under Labour is simply asking to be robbed to pay for Scotland. It's akin to that scene in Transpotting where the American tourist walks into the pub and asks where the bathroom is.
This discussion has been closed.