Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on Saturday: We might have passed peak UKIP?

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Perfect, and a belly laugh too.

Well done, Sir!
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

To be honest, I cannot say I've ever seen a house with three flags on it before either (2, yes, I have had 2 out myself), so merely saying that would probably have passed muster, but referring to as remarkable seemed to make it more of a total surprise rather than just an unusual number, and of course the white van set off people's snobbery alarms.

Typical metropolitan elite snobbery expressing surprise that you might want to display the flag of your country.

Her or me? The surprise I was referring to of hers which might have passed muster would be the number - when I put out 2 flags it was because one was the Union Flag and the other the English flag I should say - but referring that number being remarkable was what pushed it into snobbery territory, in conjunction with the white van.

If all those who do not regularly see three England flags hanging from windows are part of the metropolitan elite then we live in a strange country: one in which 95% of the population is part of the elite.
    Well quite. As someone who has hanged more than one flag outside my house and yet never seen three outside a single house before, the line of acceptable snobbery would to me seem pretty thin. A reaction of 'huh, never seen three outside a house before *shrug*' and 'My gods, three outside one house, that's remarkable, I feel like a zoologist exploring a strange new world!' seems to be it, or which extreme one is seen to sound like. Being a rich lefty who described it as in essence astonishing put Thornberry toward the latter.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

Yes, UKIP's by-election victory is a clear indication that they are on their last legs. I don't know why they even bother really. In the face of the Tory's magnificent second place, compared with UKIP's pathetic 1st place, it really is brandy and revolver time for Farage.

'Doing well' and 'getting better' are two different, if often related, things - as are 'doing badly' and 'getting worse'.

For example, the Conservatives hit their nadir in terms of share of the vote in 1995. Both opinion polling and local election results support that time. However, due to the long cycles over which politics operates, despite doing better in 1996 than 1995, the Tories still lost a huge number of councillors (coming off 1992 - a very good year - didn't help); 1997 was obviously a disaster for the party at the GE but it would have been even worse two years earlier; the next six to eight years can all be categorised as recovery / improvement but it wasn't until at least 2006 that the Conservatives could be said to be doing well.

UKIP is doing well. It will continue to make council gains next year and probably in 2016 too. It will score by far its best ever GE performance and is likely to win a small number of seats. Even so, I think they hit their peak last month.
    To a certain extent you can only judge these things in hindsight. A lot will, I think, depend on the result of the 2015 GE. I'll vote UKIP but don't expect them to do that well, maybe 6-8 seats.

But what I'd really like is a hung parliament with Labour going into a coalition with the SNP. That would be really interesting to watch! Whatever happens in such a coalition, there will also be a perception that the SNP are channeling money into Scotland at the expense of the rest of the Union.

I dislike the EU, but my blood boils when I think about devolution and the bribes promised to the Scots during the referendum campaign. I suspect that UKIP could do very well out a Labour/SNP coalition.
  • Options

kle4 said:

If all those who do not regularly see three England flags hanging from windows are part of the metropolitan elite then we live in a strange country: one in which 95% of the population is part of the elite.

Well quite. As someone who has hanged more than one flag outside my house and yet never seen three outside a single house before, the line of acceptable snobbery would to me seem pretty thin. A reaction of 'huh, never seen three outside a house before *shrug*' and 'My gods, three outside one house, that's remarkable, I feel like a zoologist exploring a strange new world!' seems to be it, or which extreme one is seen to sound like. Being a rich lefty who described it as in essence astonishing put Thornberry toward the latter.

There is so much dishonesty around this whole issue. Those condemning Thornberry are recognising that they also saw something a little peculiar in that photo. Otherwise, how would they have been able to make a judgement about her motives?
    The thing about the photo, and reactions to it, is that the photo typifies a stereotype. Just as there exists a stereotype of City men in pinstripe suits, dreadlocked blacks, burqa-wearing Muslim women or young women with pushchairs on weekdays.

Now you can't get rid of stereotypes - they're probably a basic part of brain wiring that made potentially life-saving snap judgements in past millennia - but the essence of lefty identity politics over the last few decades has been that people can choose consciously how they react to them. The way Thornberry reacted to this stereotype appears to have been akin to the way in which some people react to burqa-wearing Muslim women - this was a cultural stereotype completely alien to her.

If she'd have just a little bit of nous, a little bit of the empathy that the left asks others to have for immigrant cultures, then she could have explained the image in such a better way - "Good to see the national flag on display - a shame there wasn't room for the Union flag too" sort of thing. But instead it was "astonishing" and she created the impression that she was a Victorian-era anthropologist remarking on the feather-clad natives.

I've never displayed a flag, and I think I'd find it hard to decide on displaying just one. Maybe seven? Or eight. But I don't guess this "it's surprising" thing. They're all over the place during major sporting events now, cars, pubs, shops and homes.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Let me assist you, if I may be so bold?

Lovely
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

I feel it's an existential, visceral gap now - not one of being simply a bit pissed off.

The Tories had it for a long time - Hell, I didn't touch them with a bargepole for 20yrs. I know I'm not very representative of anything bar a fickle voter - but I really do get the Kipper appeal. I understand White Van Man without patronising him or his other half. I come from the same stock, I just disguise it well as I was lucky enough to be exposed to a bit more of life by my very Boho mother.

I want a bit of Hang'em and Flog'em, think we've too many unproductive/culturally alien immigrants - I don't mind if you don't like multi-culti or gay marriage or a load of other things like smoking in saloon bars. Or being very unPC. Or being big on Defence. And Iike sovereignty - a lot, and a huge English patriot.

But I'm a liberally-minded Wet Tory/Blairite too when it comes social issues. So a complete split personality. If I was 18yrs old again - I'd be a Kipper at heart - but a Tory Head at the ballot box. I think I've come full circle over 30yrs.

Socrates said:

Plato said:
    If Miliband wants to win back white man van he could start by:

- Supporting an English parliament
    - Limiting mass immigration
    - Winning back powers from Brussels
    - Abolishing anti-white job quotas as a policy

Will he do any of those things? Will he hell.
    Finally you have allowed yourself to be exposed for what you truly are. The rest of us , unsurprisingly, knew that already.

There is a simple word to describe you. The law of the land [ and in consideration of Mike ] prevents me from writing it.

Seconded.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Lovely
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

I feel it's an existential, visceral gap now - not one of being simply a bit pissed off.

The Tories had it for a long time - Hell, I didn't touch them with a bargepole for 20yrs. I know I'm not very representative of anything bar a fickle voter - but I really do get the Kipper appeal. I understand White Van Man without patronising him or his other half. I come from the same stock, I just disguise it well as I was lucky enough to be exposed to a bit more of life by my very Boho mother.

I want a bit of Hang'em and Flog'em, think we've too many unproductive/culturally alien immigrants - I don't mind if you don't like multi-culti or gay marriage or a load of other things like smoking in saloon bars. Or being very unPC. Or being big on Defence. And Iike sovereignty - a lot, and a huge English patriot.

But I'm a liberally-minded Wet Tory/Blairite too when it comes social issues. So a complete split personality. If I was 18yrs old again - I'd be a Kipper at heart - but a Tory Head at the ballot box. I think I've come full circle over 30yrs.

Socrates said:

Plato said:

Finally you have allowed yourself to be exposed for what you truly are. The rest of us , unsurprisingly, knew that already.

There is a simple word to describe you. The law of the land [ and in consideration of Mike ] prevents me from writing it.

Plato, class.
  • Options
    Love it - a whole private set of expletives.

kle4 said:

Plato said:

Aww - shucks.

I have a tendency to swear colourfully a great deal in relaxed company, and found it very hard to not do it. So I copied a trick from a female colleague who substituted Golly, Crumbs, Crikey for what would otherwise be even a teensy bit rude. I find Damn and Bugger on the risque margins.

It does tend to throw anyone who doesn't know me, as they then tip-toe round their own language worrying that I'll get a fit of the vapours at a four-letter word. I'm also very courteous which is another thing that's not so common nowadays/can be disconcerting!

I like manners. It shows respect. Like a dance. And excessive politeness is a marvellously restrained and precise weapon of insult. Mr Gove made it an art form.

And you use the word 'golly' which makes you even better.

Love it! I use 'gosh' a lot, for similar reasons.
    Oops is effective for those occasions such as dropping things when in relaxed circumstances one would use an expletive, I can attest to that. Oopsie Daisy seems to take it too far though.
    We had a swear jar at work for a long time, 20p for standard stuff, £1 for real anglo saxon language. It developed its own lingo so we would describe people and situations as 20 pences. I still say it sometimes.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    MikeK said:

Fat_Steve said:

Thanks to all who came to Dirty Dicks last night - great fun, as ever, and lots of new faces.
    Nice to see Peter the Punter in a rather "daring" yet tasteful outfit, and he has very good legs a for a man of his age.

I didn't think the service at the bar was that great last night - Perhaps prior to the next gathering we can canvass opinions on location.

@Fat_Steve
    There is a good Pub on the corner of Shaftbury Ave and Charing Cross Road where I once paid back a betting debt to JohnO.

The Cambridge
    93 Charing Cross Rd
    London WC2H 0DP
    United Kingdom

Not far from the Coach and Horses but that gone vegetarian.
    Boy, will that be busy on a Friday night.

Great for me and TSE, though. There are two Cineworld cinemas nearby.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Plato said:

Lovely
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

Socrates said:

Plato said:

seconded Miss P :-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

The problem for UKIP voters is the same as for other parties. They want to punish others but not suffer themselves.

Go ahead and cut GPs salaries and pensions, and Nurses and Social Workers. All of these are posts that are underfilled at present, yet poor NHS services are a core part of the campaigns in Clacton and Rochester. 25% of GP training posts this year are unfilled already.

Import Romanian GPs and Portuguese nurses to plug the gaps maybe...

Firstly, no one would object to the import of highly skilled labour. Secondly, if you get a grip on population growth you go some way to drive down demand.

Driving down demand for NHS services is going to become a big issue. The average number of visits to a GP each year per capita has risen by over a third in the last twenty years, even before we get into population expansion.

As for the privilege piece of the narrative - it won't be aimed at the lower echelons, it will be aimed at people sitting in the 40% plus tax bracket.

Re GP jobs not filled, it is possible that this is not financial. People are obviously attracted to the high salaries. More likely is that people hate to be locked inside a bureaucracy that delivers medical 'treatments' which are known not to work, and in many cases, are downright dangerous. Alternative medicine's message is getting out, and the NHS has nothing to say. Hospital acquired infections for example could be treated and prevented with colloidal silver, but the NHS only uses CS in the burns unit to prevent infections. The NHS is an organisation with targets, including how many people are to die. Magnesium intravenously applied would save 80% of critical heart patients. Yet this treatment is also not permitted. Hospitals are death factories. I wouldn't want to work in the 'health' system even if they paid £1 million a year. I'd rather earn nothing and be able to speak the truth.

I'm friends with the former CEO of one of the big silver dressing companies (was asking his advice because I was looking at buying into a silver company in the US). There are increasing issues with resistance - silver is not the magic bullet that people had hoped.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

The problem for UKIP voters is the same as for other parties. They want to punish others but not suffer themselves.

Go ahead and cut GPs salaries and pensions, and Nurses and Social Workers. All of these are posts that are underfilled at present, yet poor NHS services are a core part of the campaigns in Clacton and Rochester. 25% of GP training posts this year are unfilled already.

Firstly, no one would object to the import of highly skilled labour. Secondly, if you get a grip on population growth you go some way to drive down demand.

Driving down demand for NHS services is going to become a big issue. The average number of visits to a GP each year per capita has risen by over a third in the last twenty years, even before we get into population expansion.

As for the privilege piece of the narrative - it won't be aimed at the lower echelons, it will be aimed at people sitting in the 40% plus tax bracket.

Re GP jobs not filled, it is possible that this is not financial. People are obviously attracted to the high salaries. More likely is that people hate to be locked inside a bureaucracy that delivers medical 'treatments' which are known not to work, and in many cases, are downright dangerous. Alternative medicine's message is getting out, and the NHS has nothing to say. Hospital acquired infections for example could be treated and prevented with colloidal silver, but the NHS only uses CS in the burns unit to prevent infections. The NHS is an organisation with targets, including how many people are to die. Magnesium intravenously applied would save 80% of critical heart patients. Yet this treatment is also not permitted. Hospitals are death factories. I wouldn't want to work in the 'health' system even if they paid £1 million a year. I'd rather earn nothing and be able to speak the truth.

I'm friends with the former CEO of one of the big silver dressing companies (was asking his advice because I was looking at buying into a silver company in the US). There are increasing issues with resistance - silver is not the magic bullet that people had hoped.
    "silver is not the magic bullet that people had hoped"

good news for werewolves.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,690

Yes, UKIP's by-election victory is a clear indication that they are on their last legs. I don't know why they even bother really. In the face of the Tory's magnificent second place, compared with UKIP's pathetic 1st place, it really is brandy and revolver time for Farage.

'Doing well' and 'getting better' are two different, if often related, things - as are 'doing badly' and 'getting worse'.

For example, the Conservatives hit their nadir in terms of share of the vote in 1995. Both opinion polling and local election results support that time. However, due to the long cycles over which politics operates, despite doing better in 1996 than 1995, the Tories still lost a huge number of councillors (coming off 1992 - a very good year - didn't help); 1997 was obviously a disaster for the party at the GE but it would have been even worse two years earlier; the next six to eight years can all be categorised as recovery / improvement but it wasn't until at least 2006 that the Conservatives could be said to be doing well.

UKIP is doing well. It will continue to make council gains next year and probably in 2016 too. It will score by far its best ever GE performance and is likely to win a small number of seats. Even so, I think they hit their peak last month.
    Look at what is driving UKIPs success:
    -Inward migration and associated issues
    -Growing disenchantment with mainstream politics
    -The money's running out, leaving people feeling the pinch
    -Dislike of the EU, growing distrust of international institutions and power

Which of these do you see getting less, as opposed to more, in the coming months and years? The mainstream parties cannot or will not improve any of these issues. The economy will not improve and the debt will not allow any return to the 'good' old days. The eurozone is in an even worse state, which will increase migration.

What factors are limiting the success of UKIP?

-A sense of shame, resulting from widespread and utterly disgraceful propaganda from politicians and press
    -A feeling that UKIP can't win seats
    -Labour's vote holding up

Which of these is likely to increase over the coming months and years?

The shrill attacks will probably increase, but they grow less effective as they get more desperate. UKIP are winning seats. Labour is in crisis.

Therefore I accept your terminology but utterly reject your conclusion.

• Options

Charles said:

Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

I was wondering whether someone would pick that up.

You can always rely on @Alanbrooke
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    edited November 2014

Charles wrote -

Rubbish, Charles. There is an increasing resistance to anti-biotics, but silver kills all pathogens instantly, always has and always will. In colloidal silver you can either get 18 part per million very cheaply, or make your own (buy a maker on e-bay), and you can get 200 parts per million nano-silver particles at a price which will cure Lyme disease (previously incurable), taking it into the lungs via a nebuliser. Three days treatment kills the pain. A month kills the virus. The Lyme virus lives inside a coccoon and is not detectable on NHS tests. Anti-biotics cannot penetrate the coccon, but nano-silver particles of 10 to the power -9 can and do so killing the virus. It will also kill the ebola virus using the same method of treatment.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited November 2014

kle4 said:

There is so much dishonesty around this whole issue. Those condemning Thornberry are recognising that they also saw something a little peculiar in that photo. Otherwise, how would they have been able to make a judgement about her motives?
    The thing about the photo, and reactions to it, is that the photo typifies a stereotype. Just as there exists a stereotype of City men in pinstripe suits, dreadlocked blacks, burqa-wearing Muslim women or young women with pushchairs on weekdays.

Now you can't get rid of stereotypes - they're probably a basic part of brain wiring that made potentially life-saving snap judgements in past millennia - but the essence of lefty identity politics over the last few decades has been that people can choose consciously how they react to them. The way Thornberry reacted to this stereotype appears to have been akin to the way in which some people react to burqa-wearing Muslim women - this was a cultural stereotype completely alien to her.

If she'd have just a little bit of nous, a little bit of the empathy that the left asks others to have for immigrant cultures, then she could have explained the image in such a better way - "Good to see the national flag on display - a shame there wasn't room for the Union flag too" sort of thing. But instead it was "astonishing" and she created the impression that she was a Victorian-era anthropologist remarking on the feather-clad natives.

I've never displayed a flag, and I think I'd find it hard to decide on displaying just one. Maybe seven? Or eight. But I don't guess this "it's surprising" thing. They're all over the place during major sporting events now, cars, pubs, shops and homes.
    "a little bit of the empathy that the left asks others to have for immigrant cultures"

Exactly, yes
  • Options
    Fantastic! Post Of The Day

Charles said:

Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

Yes Charles, but what for ? ;-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The choice may be exasperating and limited, it may be frustrating and, on some issues seem like no choice at all because it is not easy to get fag paper (if they are still allowed in this puritanical age) between the main parties' positions but the choice essentially comes down to Cameron or Miliband.

And for anyone who is serious about the future of this country that is no choice at all.

Otoh (unless I read you wrong), you're considering voting SLab to preserve the Union, so the choice isn't that binary.
    A fair point but from the point of view of selecting a PM I am in one of these seats that makes little difference. It is those that live in the Con/Lab marginals that will, as usual, make the choice for the rest of us. And it may be some time before Dundee West becomes one of those, no matter how well Ruth Davidson does!

Scotland is different and will have a markedly different GE campaign. Last time around all the leaflets I got from SLAB explained how I had to vote Labour to keep those nasty tories out. No doubt they will mention this again, it is the core of their GOTV effort but just maybe they will mention the SNP this time?
    I'd guess the proportion of Tory & SNP hating on SLab leaflets will depend on whether Murphy or Findlay is in charge (sorry Sarah).

Of course if London Labour's Scottish losses go into double figures, that could have an influence on who is PM in the next parliament.
  • Options
    isam said:
    A Christian school taking in children from another faith who live nearby.

Kids setting up a website.

I find these stories a form of unholy alliance. Uniting anti-religious sentiment and anti-Asian racism.

The school was rated outstanding previously. You know, maths, English, science etc. i.e. what a school is supposed to do.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,571

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The choice may be exasperating and limited, it may be frustrating and, on some issues seem like no choice at all because it is not easy to get fag paper (if they are still allowed in this puritanical age) between the main parties' positions but the choice essentially comes down to Cameron or Miliband.

And for anyone who is serious about the future of this country that is no choice at all.

Otoh (unless I read you wrong), you're considering voting SLab to preserve the Union, so the choice isn't that binary.
    A fair point but from the point of view of selecting a PM I am in one of these seats that makes little difference. It is those that live in the Con/Lab marginals that will, as usual, make the choice for the rest of us. And it may be some time before Dundee West becomes one of those, no matter how well Ruth Davidson does!

Scotland is different and will have a markedly different GE campaign. Last time around all the leaflets I got from SLAB explained how I had to vote Labour to keep those nasty tories out. No doubt they will mention this again, it is the core of their GOTV effort but just maybe they will mention the SNP this time?
    I'd guess the proportion of Tory & SNP hating on SLab leaflets will depend on whether Murphy or Findlay is in charge (sorry Sarah).

Of course if London Labour's Scottish losses go into double figures, that could have an influence on who is PM in the next parliament.
    Scotland is certainly going to be a lot more interesting than it was in 2010. Not a single seat changing hands is a record that no one would sensibly want to repeat!

Presumably if Murphy wins he will not stand in his Westminster seat again as he will be looking for a Holyrood seat? It will be one of many interesting seats if that is the case.
  • Options
    Some really good points in there.

It all boils down IMO to the *strategic advantage* of each - and their relative erosion. Labour - like Tony, wishfully thought their voters had nowhere to go. Then they peeled off to DNV, NOTA and the BNP/LibDems as a protest. Then they moved again into Greenies and now Kippers. What they aren't doing is coming *home*.

The Kippers are sticky as a proposition, getting them back won't be easy as it's not a simple protest - a chord has been struck, Kippers are talking about what matters to them and they're listening/feeling important.

I think the pace will accelerate from Labour WWC to Kipperland - this may not increase the % of share, but it will make those votes turn out when they weren't planning to. Now voting has an end game for them once more.

snip

Which of these do you see getting less, as opposed to more, in the coming months and years? The mainstream parties cannot or will not improve any of these issues. The economy will not improve and the debt will not allow any return to the 'good' old days. The eurozone is in an even worse state, which will increase migration.

-A sense of shame, resulting from widespread and utterly disgraceful propaganda from politicians and press

The shrill attacks will probably increase, but they grow less effective as they get more desperate. UKIP are winning seats. Labour is in crisis.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

I find these stories a form of unholy alliance. Uniting anti-religious sentiment and anti-Asian racism.

The school was rated outstanding previously. You know, maths, English, science etc. i.e. what a school is supposed to do.
    Don't shoot the messenger, I am not an OFSTED inspector!

The school's sixth form is apparently where the trouble lies, and that is where children educated at the six independent schools that are involved join
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2014
    Labour Bradford South (12.2% Lab majority over Con. UKIP second in 2014 locals) selection is won by Judith Cummins
    http://www.judithcummins.org.uk/

She's a Cllr in Leeds and was runner up in Leeds East selection. In the past she has been a Cllr also in Bradford and acted as agent for Chris Leslie when he was MP for Shipley.
  • Options
    Charles said:

You're friends with the Lone Ranger?

Can you get me Tonto's autograph?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

Socrates said:

Plato said:

Three words, actually.

A typical voter.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2014
    @Tapestry

Lyme disease is not a virus, it is a bacterium (Borrelia), and susceptible to conventional antibiotics.

nul points!

Now off to the footy, with some trepidation...
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

To be honest, I cannot say I've ever seen a house with three flags on it before either (2, yes, I have had 2 out myself), so merely saying that would probably have passed muster, but referring to as remarkable seemed to make it more of a total surprise rather than just an unusual number, and of course the white van set off people's snobbery alarms.

Typical metropolitan elite snobbery expressing surprise that you might want to display the flag of your country.

Her or me? The surprise I was referring to of hers which might have passed muster would be the number - when I put out 2 flags it was because one was the Union Flag and the other the English flag I should say - but referring that number being remarkable was what pushed it into snobbery territory, in conjunction with the white van.

We had 2 flags hanging from the front of our shop for Armistice Day. It's not a class thing - it was pure, nasty sneering at someone she regarded as being "beneath" her. Not really a sacking offence, but the mask definitely slipped
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    edited November 2014
    The underlying bigotry (and racism) on this blog is quite simply astonishing.

i really hope Mike S bans certain right wing Tory trolls who add nothing to the betting debate. Let me remind folk that this is primarily a betting blog. If i wanted to hear right-wing vitriol i would go elsewhere....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    murali_s said:

If i wanted to hear right-wing vitriol i would go elsewhere....

Door-knocking wearing a Labour rosette?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Please supply examples of racism from today's thread.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Socrates said:

Oh, look at the lovely things being taught in Muslim schools in this country:

http://news.sky.com/story/1377667/muslim-pupils-confused-over-sharia-and-uk-law

Pupils at a Muslim school told inspectors it was a woman's job to stay at home and many could not say which laws to follow.

These schools don't need "urgent action". They need to be closed down.

That would be wacist.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,244
    impartial said:

Studying the 1920s/30s in Europe. Neo Nasty parties on the right appealled prodominantly to working class electorate due to propogating a mix of fear of the outsiders and popularlist simple policies. That is not to say there were a sprinkling of middle and aristrocratic supporters. For example some of the followers of Mosley. I predict that come the GE the UKIP vote will hold better in areas where there is a larger white working class electorate than for instance the shire counties. This will probably be more at the expense of Lab than Con

Although the other demographic that is greatly attracted to them isn't really shire tories; it's baby boomer pensioners, and they hate the metropolitan Cameroons almost as much as Labour....
  • Options
    Plato said:

It all boils down IMO to the *strategic advantage* of each - and their relative erosion. Labour - like Tony, wishfully thought their voters had nowhere to go. Then they peeled off to DNV, NOTA and the BNP/LibDems as a protest. Then they moved again into Greenies and now Kippers. What they aren't doing is coming *home*.

The Kippers are sticky as a proposition, getting them back won't be easy as it's not a simple protest - a chord has been struck, Kippers are talking about what matters to them and they're listening/feeling important.

I think the pace will accelerate from Labour WWC to Kipperland - this may not increase the % of share, but it will make those votes turn out when they weren't planning to. Now voting has an end game for them once more.

snip

I think UKIP have reached their peak *in this Parliament.*

If, in the future, the Conservatives committed to leaving the EU and shifted right, that might kill UKIP. If the parties negotiated an electoral pact, that would probably lead eventually to UKIP being absorbed into the Conservatives. Otherwise, I'd expect UKIP to make continued gains in the next Parliament.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    edited November 2014

murali_s said:

You reading the same thread, my friend?

May i suggest you re-read the thread with an open mind...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,156
    Itajai said:

Socrates said:

Pupils at a Muslim school told inspectors it was a woman's job to stay at home and many could not say which laws to follow.

That would be wacist.
    All faith schools should be phased out. “Faith? is a matter for the family not the school. That includes Catholic, Jewish and CoE schools, although to be fair many of these are, for historical reasons the onl;y ones in their area, so it’ll take time.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

We had 2 flags hanging from the front of our shop for Armistice Day. It's not a class thing - it was pure, nasty sneering at someone she regarded as being "beneath" her. Not really a sacking offence, but the mask definitely slipped
    I don't think it was deliberate snark on her part. I just think she was genuinely amazed to see it, like an anthropologist discovering strange mating customs.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Luckyguy says - ''The money's running out, leaving people feeling the pinch''

The recent info on inflation showed significant falls in fuel and food prices; it was staples like computer games alcohol tobacco and culture which pushed inflation into such positive levels that it had.

• Options
    Tapestry said:

Charles wrote -

Rubbish, Charles. There is an increasing resistance to anti-biotics, but silver kills all pathogens instantly, always has and always will. In colloidal silver you can either get 18 part per million very cheaply, or make your own (buy a maker on e-bay), and you can get 200 parts per million nano-silver particles at a price which will cure Lyme disease (previously incurable), taking it into the lungs via a nebuliser. Three days treatment kills the pain. A month kills the virus. The Lyme virus lives inside a coccoon and is not detectable on NHS tests. Anti-biotics cannot penetrate the coccon, but nano-silver particles of 10 to the power -9 can and do so killing the virus. It will also kill the ebola virus using the same method of treatment.

The guy I spoke to used to sell more than £50m of silver dressing per year. The growth has flattened out and usage is starting to decline.

I also spoke to the head of the UK's national woundcare innovation centre, who expressed similar concerns.

Given the amount of money involved, I'll take their word for it, rather than your's, if you don't mind.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Presumably if Murphy wins he will not stand in his Westminster seat again as he will be looking for a Holyrood seat? It will be one of many interesting seats if that is the case.

No reason why Murphy should stand down as an MP except for the look of the thing. Labour may want to keep his incumbency advantage in East Ren; it's not as if they have a wealth of talent to choose a replacement from.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think there is room for their poll rating to improve in the run-up to the election, as they will be guaranteed coverage during the election campaign itself and are starting to get more coverage in the media anyway. However it could also bomb, as their policies and weirder councillors will be put under the spotlight by other parties. So I could see both a climb to nearer 20% and a crash before polling day.

• Options
    Afternoon, all. Once again, a pleasure to see and chat to fellow PBers and Mike last night in London. Hope you all had a nice evening!

Unless the Sunday YouGov and "offficial" Opinium come to the rescue for the affected parties, this week's ELBOW should be very interesting :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

How do you know she was sneering? What would you think there is to sneer at in hanging flags out of your window?

• Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

You can't, then.

• Options

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    All faith schools should be phased out. “Faith? is a matter for the family not the school. That includes Catholic, Jewish and CoE schools, although to be fair many of these are, for historical reasons the onl;y ones in their area, so it’ll take time.
    The Trojan Horse schools were mostly completely secular.

Faith schools exist because historically, and currently, religious organisations have carried out social services. We could of course, ban religious organisations from carrying out social services, but the outcome would be that some useful things wouldn't get done any more, or would get done less well and more expensively.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I don't think it was deliberate snark on her part. I just think she was genuinely amazed to see it, like an anthropologist discovering strange mating customs.

She would probably be amazed by White Van Man's mating customs as well.

• Options
    Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    It probably would be.

I have a foot in both camps; I am from an ethnic and religious minority, but am White and a
    Ukipper.

My mother stayed at home and brought up myself and my sister. I do not see why other cultures should be stopped from doing something that was prevalent not so long ago. See the Conservative Woman website for plenty of female supporters of this.

As for criticising children for getting confused between religious rules and secular law, religion wouldn't be much use if it just kowtowed to whatever totalitarian clique just happened to be in power, would it?

The tests I apply when these issues crop up are:

Were these practices done in this country within living memory?
    Are these practices still being done in this country by Whites?
    Are the criticisms levelled praised when other more popular minorities do them?

I will not let legitimate criticism be shouted by the cry of wacist, but equally I will not let double standards pass against a racial and religion minority not my own.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Apparently the flags have been flying there since the World Cup:

“I will continue to fly the flags – I don’t care who it pisses off. I know there is a lot of ethnic minorities that don’t like it. They have been up since the World Cup.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/21/van-driver-emily-thornberry-tweet-shes-a-snob

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    It probably would be.

I have a foot in both camps; I am from an ethnic and religious minority, but am White and a
    Ukipper.

My mother stayed at home and brought up myself and my sister. I do not see why other cultures should be stopped from doing something that was prevalent not so long ago. See the Conservative Woman website for plenty of female supporters of this.

As for criticising children for getting confused between religious rules and secular law, religion wouldn't be much use if it just kowtowed to whatever totalitarian clique just happened to be in power, would it?

I will not let legitimate criticism be shouted by the cry of wacist, but equally I will not let double standards pass against a racial and religion minority not my own.

Who counts as being "White"? Where would Turks fit in, for example?

• Options

kle4 said:

In other words, it was an honest Tweet from a middle class politician who like almost all other middle class politicians from all parties spends almost no time with people who fly flags out of their windows, drive white vans and are covered in tattoos.

• Options
    To those considering backing a DUP-Conservative coalition, or any formal coalition with the DUP in it, take note. That appears to have been ruled out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-30158259

I note the priorities are; more powers for Stormont, fewer Westminster vetoes, and more tax-raising powers; a unionist pro-UK government; an EU referendum, and full application of the military covenant.

Quite clearly Peter Robinson is gearing up for confidence & supply with a Conservative minority, if the arithmetic makes sense.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    It probably would be.

Ukipper.

Get your own Dulux Colour Chart for the answer to that.

I suppose if you pass for European, you are "White."
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Ninoinoz said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    It probably would be.

Ukipper.

1) There's a huge bloody difference between it being acceptable for some women to choose to be homemakers and the belief that it's a woman's "job" to stay at home purely because she's a woman. The latter is highly sexist, and it's appalling that kids in 21st Century Britain are being taught it in schools.

2) Secular law isn't the views of "whatever totalitarian clique" is in power. That's the case in places like Afghanistan and Zimbabwe where the executive comes above the law. We are not like Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. We are a superior society where law is held above the executive. Muslim kids need to know that. And they need to know that their arbitrary beliefs about which animals are ok for eating are just something voluntary upon their part, and not something required of everyone.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Plato said:

snip

If, in the future, the Conservatives committed to leaving the EU and shifted right, that might kill UKIP. If the parties negotiated an electoral pact, that would probably lead eventually to UKIP being absorbed into the Conservatives. Otherwise, I'd expect UKIP to make continued gains in the next Parliament.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing, Sean, but you beat me to it.

PS. It was great to finally meet you last night. The first of many, I hope.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Tapestry said:

chestnut said:

Yes Charles, but what for ? ;-)
    Knowing, in your heart of hearts, that you will vote Tory in 2015, despite your protestations to the contrary?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.

Faith schools exist because historically, and currently, religious organisations have carried out social services. We could of course, ban religious organisations from carrying out social services, but the outcome would be that some useful things wouldn't get done any more, or would get done less well and more expensively.

That religious organisations carrfied out various social services is true, largely because at the time they started the state didn’t or didn’t provide adequately.
    There is no reason why, today, such orgnisations should provide a service which, if properly organised, the state could provide.
    Faith schools are divisive, and provide opportunity for distrust (at best) between religions. Can I refer you to N. Ireland.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2014

I think there is room for their poll rating to improve in the run-up to the election, as they will be guaranteed coverage during the election campaign itself and are starting to get more coverage in the media anyway.

Not only that, THE OTHER PARTIES will be getting intense media coverage, which in my view will be the best recruiting sergeant for UKIP. Getting daily reminders of how infuriating the politicians from the main parties are, with their refusal to give straight answers to questions, talking in some weird Politicianese language, and insistence on just playing their petty games and trying to slate the other guy (the Tories are so rich and out of touch! Miliband is so weird and incompetent!) -- that's the type of thing which will really send more people than ever into disgust with "politics as usual" and become more determined to give them a slap.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    It is pointless debating with Tapestry, as pointless as his conspiracies are absurd.
    The NHS uses magnesium infusion in a variety of ways including in heart treatments
    http://www.icid.salisbury.nhs.uk/MedicinesManagement/Guidance/Generalguidance/Pages/AdministrationofIVMagnesiumSulfate.aspx

I'm sure they use colloidal silver as well. Hospitals are not 'death factories'. All I can say is that if we want to live in a decent country we need to stop inventing fantasies.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

isam said:

It isn't just kids setting up a website. It's using school resources to set up a society which is encouraging other kids to listen to extremist views of people that hate this country. How on Earth are kids in Britain, a liberal democracy that has given their families everything they have, able to openly do this and there not to be an outcry?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    It probably would be.

Ukipper.

Get your own Dulux Colour Chart for the answer to that.

I suppose if you pass for European, you are "White."

There are very few white people if we go by the Dulux colour chart. If we do it on "pass for European" it's a much wider pool and one that would surely include most people in the Middle East and North Africa.

• Options

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.
    And who sends their children to Faith Schools? Families, of course.

Education is no longer primarily carried out in the family (home schooling, tutoring), but it remains the legal responsibility of the parents. If they so choose to avail themselves of Faith Schools, who are you to interfere in how they carry out their legal parental duties?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.

That religious organisations carrfied out various social services is true, largely because at the time they started the state didn’t or didn’t provide adequately.
    There is no reason why, today, such orgnisations should provide a service which, if properly organised, the state could provide.
    Faith schools are divisive, and provide opportunity for distrust (at best) between religions. Can I refer you to N. Ireland.
    On the other hand, faith schools often manage to implement a structure and discipline system that secular schools can not. I know one highly talented head teacher who runs several schools and will only take on religious schools, because the lefty establishment at secular ones gets upset with the fact she clamps down very firmly on kids messing around in lessons.

The problem here is not "faith schools" in the aggregate (Northern Ireland possibly accepted) but predominantly Muslim schools. I know some people are scared of saying this, but it's the truth.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,917
    "they become only the fourth party since WWII to gain two Commons seats in the same parliament"

Eh that's not true. The SDP were the fourth party in the 1979-1983 parliament. There was an alliance with the liberals but to claim they were the same party is unfair. However I won't bother to claim the Liberal Democrats as the fifth party though.
  • Options

Charles said:

How do you know she was sneering? What would you think there is to sneer at in hanging flags out of your window?

I said, in the very post to which you replied, that we hung 2 flags outside our shop - so clearly it's not something that I feel is sneer-worthy.

But the way she phrased it as "image from Rochester" implied that it was curious, and something remarkable - and by implication something that she would not expect to see in Islington. May be a sneer, may be not. But fairly close to the boundary either way
  • Options
    On the flag question, TBH I don’t know anyone who is “pissed off” by people flying flags on their house,in their gardens or on their vehicles (so long as they’re not a traffic hazard).

Would make an exception for the black flag of jihad, but otherwise, good luck to you.
  • Options

In other words, it was an honest Tweet from a middle class politician who like almost all other middle class politicians from all parties spends almost no time with people who fly flags out of their windows, drive white vans and are covered in tattoos.

If they've spent almost no time with "people who fly flags", they're either somewhat above "middle class" or hugely insulated. Plenty of lower middle class people fly flags out their window. You'd have to be upper middle class or above, and not have any friends outside that wealth background to be shocked to see someone flying a few of them.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.

Surely the State should not be providing services (through mandatory confiscation of income, ie tax) that organisations and individuals already provide on a voluntary basis?

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I said, in the very post to which you replied, that we hung 2 flags outside our shop - so clearly it's not something that I feel is sneer-worthy.

But the way she phrased it as "image from Rochester" implied that it was curious, and something remarkable - and by implication something that she would not expect to see in Islington. May be a sneer, may be not. But fairly close to the boundary either way

It's not something you "expect" to see anywhere on a normal working day. On Armistice day, perhaps. And, presumably, your flags have now been taken down.

It seems to me that the only way anyone can draw a conclusion that she was sneering is that somewhere inside them they feel there was something to sneer at. This is exactly what Miliband did - and what Cameron did in his reaction.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,852
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

snip

snip

snip

snip

Quite. Although she must have seen this before? She spent some years growing up on a council estate.

A snip from her background:

"Thornberry has been a Labour member since she was 17. Her parents, a teacher and a law professor at the LSE, divorced when she was seven. She remembers the bailiffs who ejected them from their home, and moving with her mother and siblings to social housing in Guildford. They were raised on benefits, secondhand clothes, free school dinners, food parcels; often, she says, they couldn't afford to heat the house. Her mother became a Labour councillor and later a mayor; she joined the party, she says, because "it wasn't fair that things had been so hard".

She failed the eleven-plus, went to a secondary modern, and had to do courses to get enough A-levels to go to Kent University, where she read law (she met her husband at law school, over a game of bridge). "It was the first time I'd seen the upper middle classes en masse" - and she was so put off she started looking for something else to do. But it was 1982, there weren't many jobs, and she did a clerkship. Dealing with the nitty gritty of lawyering, she realised "I'd landed on my feet."

Eventually she joined Michael Mansfield's chambers. "

Maybe that's all ancient history, now, and something she's forgotten. Or somethings she's chose to forget; perhaps she's now retrospectively painted her whole life story into a middle class one, as she did have middle class origins. Some of the most snobbish people can be the ones who have a period of their lives that was a bit more humble, compared to where they see themselves now, and have lingering social insecurities about it.

Except when it suits her to quote those struggles, of course, for political purposes.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

1) There's a huge bloody difference between it being acceptable for some women to choose to be homemakers and the belief that it's a woman's "job" to stay at home purely because she's a woman. The latter is highly sexist, and it's appalling that kids in 21st Century Britain are being taught it in schools.

2) Secular law isn't the views of "whatever totalitarian clique" is in power. That's the case in places like Afghanistan and Zimbabwe where the executive comes above the law. We are not like Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. We are a superior society where law is held above the executive. Muslim kids need to know that. And they need to know that their arbitrary beliefs about which animals are ok for eating are just something voluntary upon their part, and not something required of everyone.

1) It was a CofE school. They were taught in the home and mosque. In any case, what's wrong with precisely defined gender roles?

2) A truly laughable point when the executive controls parliament through whipping. Great example of parliament restraining the executive, that Iraq War.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's not something you "expect" to see anywhere on a normal working day. On Armistice day, perhaps.
    Really? I would say it is not unusual to see flags displayed outside a house, more common during major sports tournaments of course.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's not something you "expect" to see anywhere on a normal working day. On Armistice day, perhaps. And, presumably, your flags have now been taken down.

It seems to me that the only way anyone can draw a conclusion that she was sneering is that somewhere inside them they feel there was something to sneer at. This is exactly what Miliband did - and what Cameron did in his reaction.

It sounds like you don't go out much either. I know plenty of council estates from places like Hatfield and Basildon where people hang flags out their window on a permanent basis.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If they've spent almost no time with "people who fly flags", they're either somewhat above "middle class" or hugely insulated. Plenty of lower middle class people fly flags out their window. You'd have to be upper middle class or above, and not have any friends outside that wealth background to be shocked to see someone flying a few of them.

A flag, yes. You do see that every now and again. Three, covering a whole house more or less? I don't see that too often outside of the World Cup. It was not astonishing, but it was certainly out of the ordinary.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.

Surely the State should not be providing services (through mandatory confiscation of income, ie tax) that organisations and individuals already provide on a voluntary basis?

Ah but you are an old-fashioned libertarian, are you not, while I’m an unreconstructed leftie! I suppose that, given a very long spoon each, we could make contact, though!
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

We'll I think you are wrong.

It's possible for people to understand others motivations without sharing them
  • Options
    murali_s said:

murali_s said:

Sorry, so you cannot point out one racist example. So your original statement is a mistake.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It sounds like you don't go out much either. I know plenty of council estates from places like Hatfield and Basildon where people hang flags out their window on a permanent basis.

And she will see the same in the many council estates that there are in Islington. What was out of the ordinary was the number and the fact that they covered so much of the house. Astonishing? No, of course not. Unusual, yes.

• Options

Socrates said:

A flag, yes. You do see that every now and again. Three, covering a whole house more or less? I don't see that too often outside of the World Cup. It was not astonishing, but it was certainly out of the ordinary.

Quite. It’s a bit like the Christmas lights we shall shortly be seeing. Every so often one comes across an astounding display.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

1) It was a CofE school. They were taught in the home and mosque. In any case, what's wrong with precisely defined gender roles?

2) A truly laughable point when the executive controls parliament through whipping. Great example of parliament restraining the executive, that Iraq War.
    1) No, it was a Muslim school. What's wrong with precisely defined gender roles? It forces many people into roles they don't want to do based on their genitals rather than their ability. Women shouldn't be artificially held back from achieving in business or politics or anything else. Equally, men that are family oriented shouldn't be sneered at far their wives being the bread-winners while they raise the children.

2) The Iraq War was an executive action, not a law. It sounds like you're very confused about the concept of what law is.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Not sure. I don't know anyone who flies flags, even during the WC. I am pretty sure I am not alone in this.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

And you know she was sneering how?

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,170
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Can the government close down independent schools?

Yes. You have to be license by OFSTED.
    Is that this OFSTED:

' Ofsted was accused of “political correctness” after downgrading a top rural primary school for effectively being too English.

The education watchdog faced a backlash from MPs and parents following the decision to penalise Middle Rasen primary in Lincolnshire for not having enough black or Asian pupils.

In a report, inspectors said the school was “not yet outstanding” because pupils’ cultural development was limited by a “lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society”. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11240700/School-marked-down-by-Ofsted-for-being-too-white.html

and the OFSTED which didn't notice any problems with Rotherham's Childrens Services ?

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

1) It's when you impose those rules as a matter of course purely because of someone's gender. My wife and I decided she would give up work when our daughter was born, because we feel that is a better way to raise a child. But we have the luxury of choice: she should not have been obliged to do so because she is a woman.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

She did NOT write "fun house in Rochester", or "house covered in flags in Rochester", or even "patriotic fervour in Rochester". What she wrote was "image from Rochester" with a white van and multiple English flags on a house.

And you're saying she couldn't see (as a politician) what effect that would have?

Resignation does seem over the top, but Ed is in a weak position at the moment so perhaps he felt it essential.

• Options

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

And she will see the same in the many council estates that there are in Islington. What was out of the ordinary was the number and the fact that they covered so much of the house. Astonishing? No, of course not. Unusual, yes.

She said she'd "never seen anything like it". Now I would have thought people flying two flags, or one big flag out their house would have been something "like it". The woman was utterly astonished at a fairly common site among working class and lower middle class people. Was it a sackable offence? No. But it showed that she was deeply out of touch.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

She said she'd "never seen anything like it". Now I would have thought people flying two flags, or one big flag out their house would have been something "like it". The woman was utterly astonished at a fairly common site among working class and lower middle class people. Was it a sackable offence? No. But it showed that she was deeply out of touch.
    http://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/status/269113381968048129
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,346
    edited November 2014

Blimey - I leave the PB bubble and all fun and games start happening...

Newly-elected UKIP MP Mark Reckless has accused party leader Nigel Farage of a policy U-turn over EU migration.

In an interview with the Times, the Rochester and Strood MP says: "The policy changed on Wednesday and I'm a bit sore about how I came out of that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30157507?ocid=socialflow_twitter

I'm thinking of voting UKIP, but before I do can a UKIP supporter explain to me a) what UKIP's immigration policy was before Wednesday b) how it differed after Wednesday? Thanks.
  • Options

Well, there you have it, folks.

I've found the last supporter of Soviet Communism in the World.

The State should do everything, except the things it can't.

Surely it should be the other way round? Private individuals and organisations should do everything, except the things they can't?

BTW, you do know Communism lost the Cold War?
  • Options
    Plato said:

The oddest experience I ever had at my all girls public school was a supply RE teacher called Mrs Mukaghee. An English lady who'd gone the whole hog when it came to adopting her husband's culture.
    She wore a sari, and then attempted to explain why she put dirt from the floor on her hair as a sign of respect/deference to her husband.
    We were about 13yrs old and looked at each other with WTF on our faces. All our other teachers were Old Girls, Jolly Hockey Knee-Cappers who told us we should wear the trousers all the time/never underestimate ourselves. They were formidable.
    Seeing up close a woman who'd gone back several centuries was bizarre. I can only assume this is quite common in some faith schools nowadays.
    Needless to say, Mrs M never taught us another lesson.

Socrates said:

Spent the first 4 months of GCE History being taught about Russia and China's communist revolutionary periods. Then the teacher left. New teacher ex RAF asked what had we been learning and he was dumbstruck.... A little while after I learned that Russia and China was not in the exam course and we had completely wasted our time. The original teacher looked like a Marxist and probably was..... Somehow the ex RAF teacher got most of us passes, a wonderful man.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

As I said, she was commenting as a middle class politician, who like most middle class politicians of all parties, does not spend much time with people that hang multiple flags from their windows, drive white vans and are covered in tattoos.

• Options

Socrates said:

She did NOT write "fun house in Rochester", or "house covered in flags in Rochester", or even "patriotic fervour in Rochester". What she wrote was "image from Rochester" with a white van and multiple English flags on a house.

And you're saying she couldn't see (as a politician) what effect that would have?

Resignation does seem over the top, but Ed is in a weak position at the moment so perhaps he felt it essential.

No, I am not saying that.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Itajai said:

Socrates said:

That would be wacist.

With the State running a deficit of £100 bn, we'll have to get used to the State doing less, and voluntary organisations (including religious organisations) doing more.

I'll give you an example. Borehamwood has a new State Jewish school. But, the cost of buying the site and building the school was entirely met by local Jews. That's a huge saving for the County Council.

WRT Northern Ireland, there are no Protestant schools as such. But, residential segregation means people are largely educated with their co-religionists. But, in any case, the conflict between Unionists and Nationalists isn't down to bad manners, but very different identities, which won't disappear, regardless of where one is educated.
  • Options

Socrates said:

A flag, yes. You do see that every now and again. Three, covering a whole house more or less?
    No they don't, look at the picture. I would guess they cover around 10% of the house. Prominent, but not that remarkable.

• Options

Newly-elected UKIP MP Mark Reckless has accused party leader Nigel Farage of a policy U-turn over EU migration.

In an interview with the Times, the Rochester and Strood MP says: "The policy changed on Wednesday and I'm a bit sore about how I came out of that."

I'm thinking of voting UKIP, but before I do can a UKIP supporter explain to me a) what UKIP's immigration policy was before Wednesday b) how it differed after Wednesday. Thanks.
    As best I can understand it:

(a) The policy before Wednesday was that EU migrants could either (1) apply for permanent residency based on being here 7 years, (2) apply for some other immigration category like family or high-skilled, (3) get a limited 2-year work visa after which they'd have to return home.

(b) The policy now seems to be to have removed category (3) and allow all EU migrants to apply for (1).
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Can the government close down independent schools?

Yes. You have to be license by OFSTED.
    Is that this OFSTED:

' Ofsted was accused of “political correctness” after downgrading a top rural primary school for effectively being too English.

The education watchdog faced a backlash from MPs and parents following the decision to penalise Middle Rasen primary in Lincolnshire for not having enough black or Asian pupils.

In a report, inspectors said the school was “not yet outstanding” because pupils’ cultural development was limited by a “lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society”. '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11240700/School-marked-down-by-Ofsted-for-being-too-white.html

and the OFSTED which didn't notice any problems with Rotherham's Childrens Services ?

Why are you surprised. A quango stuffed with middle class Gruaniad reading Labourites. I am surprised they didn't mark the school down for not serving quinoa.
  • Options

I'm thinking of voting UKIP, but before I do can a UKIP supporter explain to me a) what UKIP's immigration policy was before Wednesday b) how it differed after Wednesday? Thanks.
    Wait a few more weeks and the policy may change again.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

As I said, she was commenting as a middle class politician, who like most middle class politicians of all parties, does not spend much time with people that hang multiple flags from their windows, drive white vans and are covered in tattoos.

She ought to, she will represent a number. They probably come to her surgeries.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Because any other interpretation requires a suspension of disbelief that would be thrown out in script-writing 1.01. This is not some folksy grandma over from deepest Idaho seeing Britain's quaint home-decorating customs for the first time. This is a front-line politician who we can assume has been door-knocking for many a year in urban areas.

Her explanation was intelligence-insulting guff from someone who had been caught out sneering.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

From memory it the reasons she gave when questioned. They were not credible.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Didn't ET then claim it was all part of some vaguely defined anti-Islington prejudice. Looks to me she knew full well what she was doing.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Well, there you have it, folks.

I've found the last supporter of Soviet Communism in the World.

The State should do everything, except the things it can't.

Surely it should be the other way round? Private individuals and organisations should do everything, except the things they can't?

BTW, you do know Communism lost the Cold War?
    I didn’t realise that recognising one the roots of N Ireland’s problems demonstrated that one was a Communist. Of course there are things which an even handed State can do better.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Because any other interpretation requires a suspension of disbelief that would be thrown out in script-writing 1.01. This is not some folksy grandma over from deepest Idaho seeing Britain's quaint home-decorating customs for the first time. This is a front-line politician who we can assume has been door-knocking for many a year in urban areas.

Her explanation was intelligence-insulting guff from someone who had been caught out sneering.

So your explanation is that she deliberately Tweeted a sneering message designed to disparage a large number of voters who should be naturally predisposed to Labour. I am not sure I buy that.

This discussion has been closed.