Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What LAB voters like about their party: Some Opinium findin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What LAB voters like about their party: Some Opinium findings that conflict with the media narrative

46% of LAB voters say that having EdM as leader is reason to vote for the party pic.twitter.com/GD6Njqoc5S

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Blimey
  • Options
    Are those prompted?

It's possible that Miliband's leadership is being read 'as opposed to Cameron's'.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited November 2014
    Isn't this, partly explained by Labour's share of the vote dropping between 2013 and 2014, so we're down to the core vote, and in the past core voters aren't in tune with other voters.
  • Options
    So something like 15% of the electorate think that Ed Miliband's leadership is a contributory reason for voting Labour and are in fact going to do so. I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    "46% of LAB voters say that having EdM as leader is reason to vote for the party "

Or less than half in old money

@MSmithsonPB: 49% of LAB voters tell Opinium that having Ed Balls as shadow chancellor a reason to vote for the party http://t.co/nAGxr8jp7H

Less than half...
  • Options
    Are we sure this isn't Tory voters pretending to Lab voters so they can SaveEd?
  • Options
    OT Japan: Abe has officially called his snap election, says he'll resign if his party doesn't get a majority. Maybe Cameron should try that one, focus attention on some of the alternatives.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Their previous record in government?
    How they will handle the economy?

Proof after all that Labour's EducashnX3 had the desired effect.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Wow - how many more saveEd threads must we endure?
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, it'd be a great way to encourage anti-Tory tactical voting.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

So something like 15% of the electorate think that Ed Miliband's leadership is a contributory reason for voting Labour and are in fact going to do so. I'm not sure that's a ringing endorsement.

These figures are hard to interpret without comparative figures, say, for the Conservatives now, or Labour in 1996.

Without those comparative figures we're simply guessing as to whether a score is good or not.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To be serious - how do Cameron and Clegg, or even Farage, compare with their voters? Surely to get a handle on this we need some comparators.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Just proves that Labour supporters do have sh1t for brains. A muppet who can't deal with Myleene Klass up against Putin - pull the other one.
  • Options
    felix said:

Wow - how many more saveEd threads must we endure?

There are a finite number of opportunities before next May...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The labour commentariat is now spoiling to smear Klass for having the temerity to make its dear leader look like a gurning idiot.

Personally, I think that would be a grave mistake.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Is Salmond sending himself up by posing with a ray of sunshine on a rock?

order-order.com/2014/11/18/salmonds-stone-of-destiny

"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine."
  • Options
    Previous record in government 61%!

'kinell!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    taffys said:

The labour commentariat is now spoiling to smear Klass for having the temerity to make its dear leader look like a gurning idiot.

Personally, I think that would be a grave mistake.

Indeed; revenge is a dish best served cold, if at all. Much better not to dignify the issue by reminding people of it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Labour's new line on immigration

"Fair movement, not free movement"

WTF does that mean?

@johnmcternan: Try this:"Í want fair movement of goods and services in Europe not free movement." Convincing? Compelling? Logical? Sensible? Thought not.

And it contradicts the EU 'fundamental principle' that Ed is so keen to support at all costs
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I was a bit disappointed in the site yesterday. It made a big thing out of two Labour leads, but they were only 1% each and, with another poll showing the Tories 1% ahead, the average Labour lead was 0.33%.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: Labour has discovered some problems with the free movement of people… #mustbeanelectioncoming

@MShapland: "Dear border guard. I would like to move fairly into your country"
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    In 2013 Labour were polling in the mid to high thirties, right now Labour are in the low to mid thirties, it stands to reason that the remaining VI is going to be more pro-Ed. This really is just a function of the same core vote in a lower sample size because Ed has lost votes to UKIP, Con and Green since last year.
  • Options
    @VickiYoung01: Labour want an EU migration impact fund to support areas which have experienced highest immigration to pay for public services

Labour want to hose public money into areas where they previously imported lots of Labour voters...

Well I never.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    The changes on last year are almost certainly distributional: those who don't like Ed, Labour's previous record or Balls have left the party, hence the percent age has risen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

WTF does that mean?

Blonds only, tight controls on dark hair and absolutely no gingers
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ''Much better not to dignify the issue by reminding people of it.''

Well that, I suppose.

I was thinking that Klass is a self made woman of immigrant stock. She spearheads the christmas ad campaigns of a major retailer.

That girl is right in the living rooms of the voters who matter.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

OT Japan: Abe has officially called his snap election, says he'll resign if his party doesn't get a majority. Maybe Cameron should try that one, focus attention on some of the alternatives.

"This House has confidence in the governments European policies" - that should do it, instance election ;-)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

WTF does that mean?

Those of us who love gingers may have to take up direct action against Labour as Labour's hatred of gingers is well documented via the vile Harman.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

WTF does that mean?

My red-headed grandson is being subjected to some rather nasty bullying at the secondary school at which he started last September. Solely, apparently, because of his hair colour.
  • Options

In the wake of Ed's last latest relaunch, it was reported that members of the Shadow Cabinet would be making 'helpful' speeches.

If this is the help...

@CCHQPress: Theresa May: "Labour are making up policy as they go along. It is further proof that they aren’t ready for the responsibility of government"
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    It seems to me that the Labour Party and its supporters are suffering the grief of having chosen an unelectable weirdo as their man to run for high office, and are just going through the stages at different speeds. Those claiming he's a reason to vote for the party are still stuck in denial.

I think BJO appears to be in denial, but he's actually moved through the anger stage to the bargaining stage (EICIPM anyone?). I expect him to become quietly depressed soon, before he joins SO, and a couple of the other more astute Labourites here, into acceptance.
  • Options
    @MShapland: Policy ideas for @labourpress A Fair Press. Fairness of Speech. Fairness of Information. Comment is Fair. Set my people fair. Fair Movement
  • Options
    61% !!!!

(was that not, by delicious coincidence, the approval rating of their record in power accorded the Nazi party by the SS Nordland Division in April 1945?)
  • Options

It seems to me that the Labour Party and its supporters are suffering the grief of having chosen an unelectable weirdo as their man to run for high office, and are just going through the stages at different speeds. Those claiming he's a reason to vote for the party are still stuck in denial.

I think BJO appears to be in denial, but he's actually moved through the anger stage to the bargaining stage (EICIPM anyone?). I expect him to become quietly depressed soon, before he joins SO, and a couple of the other more astute Labourites here, into acceptance.

To be fair, the Labour Party didn't choose Ed.

They voted for David, it was the unions who foisted Ed upon the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

"This House has confidence in the governments European policies" - that should do it, instance election ;-)
    I don't think that works - you'd have to have a proper confidence motion.
  • Options
    King Cole, I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird how there's hyper-sensitive to even a hint of racism but such an attitude towards ginger-haired people remains.
  • Options

King Cole, I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird how there's hyper-sensitive to even a hint of racism but such an attitude towards ginger-haired people remains.

Thanks. His father, my son, says he had a bit of a problem when young, but my wife, whose red hair was what first attracted me to her, says she never had a problem.
    What will be done about the bullying I don’t know. Yet.
  • Options
    Forgive me but who is Myleene Klass? Is she one of Dave's A-listers or something?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MShapland: Policy ideas for @labourpress A Fair Press. Fairness of Speech. Fairness of Information. Comment is Fair. Set my people fair. Fair Movement

Fair isles for Scotland!:) I'll get my sporran.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Predictably they have gone and made it more complicated now:

Early parliamentary general elections

(1)An early parliamentary general election is to take place if—

(a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and

(b)if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).

(2)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (1)(a) is—

“That there shall be an early parliamentary general election.”

(3)An early parliamentary general election is also to take place if—

(a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (4), and

(b)the period of 14 days after the day on which that motion is passed ends without the House passing a motion in the form set out in subsection (5).

(4)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(a) is—

“That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government.”

(5)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) is—

“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government.”

(6)Subsection (7) applies for the purposes of the Timetable in rule 1 in Schedule 1 to the Representation of the People Act 1983.

(7)If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Forgive me but who is Myleene Klass? Is she one of Dave's A-listers or something?

Myleene Angela Klass (born 6 April 1978) is an English singer, pianist, media personality and model, best known as a member of the now defunct pop band Hear'Say who released two studio albums and four singles, the first two of which reached number one on the UK singles chart. Klass, herself, has released two solo classical albums in 2003 and 2007.
    Klass is now better known for being a presenter; she fronted the shows Popstar to Operastar between 2010 and 2011 on ITV and The One Show in 2007 on BBC One. In April 2012 her net worth was estimated at £11 million.

Complaining that £2 million can't buy you a garage in London or something these days.
  • Options

@thedailymash: Miliband now less impressive than D-list celebrity who’s talking shit http://t.co/yajGYIR0My
  • Options
    edited November 2014

She was in the reality show Popstars: The Rivals, which formed the band Hear'say

(I was more a Liberty X fan myself)

But she has become, inter alia, a successful musician, actress and the face of M&S

I like her.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Complaining that £2 million can't buy you a garage in London or something these days.

She sold her luxury garage last year when her marriage ended for £1.8m

But the important bit is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pbhGwGqgM

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Predictably they have gone and made it more complicated now:

Early parliamentary general elections

(1)An early parliamentary general election is to take place if—

(a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and

(b)if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).

(2)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (1)(a) is—

“That there shall be an early parliamentary general election.”

(3)An early parliamentary general election is also to take place if—

(a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (4), and

(b)the period of 14 days after the day on which that motion is passed ends without the House passing a motion in the form set out in subsection (5).

(4)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(a) is—

“That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government.”

(5)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) is—

“That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government.”

(6)Subsection (7) applies for the purposes of the Timetable in rule 1 in Schedule 1 to the Representation of the People Act 1983.

(7)If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1).
    It wouldn't have done it before that either - you need to vote no-confidence in the actual PM/government, not just pass a motion about some minor thing with the words "no confidence" in it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Indigo said:

But the important bit is

@OliverCooper:

Miliband: "I tax mansions. I tax banks."
    Myleene Klass: "Are you just looking at things and saying you'll tax them?"
    Miliband: "I tax lamp."
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

A young woman who knows how to create wealth, unlike the wealth predator Ed Miiband.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for that Mr Indigo; quite honestly I was more impressed by Ed that I was by her. I thought she was just being shrewish.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    AndyJS said:

I was a bit disappointed in the site yesterday. It made a big thing out of two Labour leads, but they were only 1% each and, with another poll showing the Tories 1% ahead, the average Labour lead was 0.33%.

Quite true but constant yo-yo reactions are inevitable if you follow the current proliferation of polls too closely. Staying a bit more detached from proceedings and following the trend instead might help. Having said that a more up to date R & S poll would be useful - Ukip are presumed to be well ahead but is Kelly achieving something of a late swing-back (or not)?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I'm hopeful the bookies will open their how many cabinet ministers will lose their seats at the election market.

I reckon Danny and Nicky Morgan might be goners.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    But the important bit is

The important bit is that Klass embodies the British dream for some people in Britain.

They would view her money in a completely different way to the money of a 'posh' person. Or a lecturing left winger with a large tax efficient inherited estate.

They would say she earned it by taking her opportunities and working all the hours god sends.

Such a distinction is totally lost on the labour commentariat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    edited November 2014
    King Cole, most people won't see or have seen the clip. In a prima facie conflict between an attractive young lady celebrity and Ed Miliband I fear the Leader of the Opposition may not get the benefit of the doubt.

The "You can't just point at things and tax them" line is pretty good, incidentally.

Edited extra bit: and media reporting isn't all against Miliband. I was surprised when ITV News at Ten reported that he'd 'seized on' [or suchlike] Cameron's suggestion the global economy might not be super. It seems an entirely sensible observation to me, but the reporting was pretty favourable to Miliband's shrieking claim Cameron was 'getting his excuses in early'.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Norm said:

AndyJS said:

Quite true but constant yo-yo reactions are inevitable if you follow the current proliferation of polls too closely. Staying a bit more detached from proceedings and following the trend instead might help. Having said that a more up to date R & S poll would be useful - Ukip are presumed to be well ahead but is Kelly achieving something of a late swing-back (or not)?
    It is an occupational hazard of editing PB, events and scheduling means you can't cover every poll, and when you cover x poll, some people won't be happy, and if you don't cover poll y, others will be unhappy too.

What we can take from this is, that Labour supporters should be worried, polls that show Lab ahead are newsworthy, and the polls that have the Tories ahead are expected, and don't get the same level of coverage.
  • Options

Thanks for that Mr Indigo; quite honestly I was more impressed by Ed that I was by her. I thought she was just being shrewish.

Labour seems to be taking fire from luvvies & the media - who were onside during the time of St Tony. How the fuck did the Labour party end up in this position ?!
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

To be fair, the Labour Party didn't choose Ed.

They voted for David, it was the unions who foisted Ed upon the Labour Party.
    The unions are intrinsic to the party; they fund it and it has to play by their rules. To choose the Labour Party, but not accept those facts, is surely textbook cognitive dissonance?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Pulpstar said:

She sold her luxury garage last year when her marriage ended for £1.8m

But the important bit is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pbhGwGqgM

There's this moment, where she says "you can't just point at things and tax them" where his eyes flit over and down. That's the precise moment where his political ring twitched.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    antifrank said:

Agree with the Antifrank interpretation of these figures by equating them to % of the electorate.

Work out the average of these metrics and maybe you can calculate the true core vote of a party from these numbers under the leadership it has at that time. Labour Core under Milliband about 17% - 20%. (And I'm sure if you did Tory the core under Cameron wouldn't be that different, I'm not Milliband bashing).

Is the message that the core vote of the parties is much lower than we realise?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

King Cole, most people won't see or have seen the clip. In a prima facie conflict between an attractive young lady celebrity and Ed Miliband I fear the Leader of the Opposition may not get the benefit of the doubt.

The "You can't just point at things and tax them" line is pretty good, incidentally.

Edited extra bit: and media reporting isn't all against Miliband. I was surprised when ITV News at Ten reported that he'd 'seized on' [or suchlike] Cameron's suggestion the global economy might not be super. It seems an entirely sensible observation to me, but the reporting was pretty favourable to Miliband's shrieking claim Cameron was 'getting his excuses in early'.

It's nonsensical; pointing at things and taxing them is what governments do. Though I'm no fan of Ed, I don't think he's sustained any damage here - Klass comes off worse than he does.
  • Options

It wouldn't have done it before that either - you need to vote no-confidence in the actual PM/government, not just pass a motion about some minor thing with the words "no confidence" in it.

"That this House has confidence in the policy of Her Majesty's Government on the adoption of the Protocol on Social Policy."

Was the most recent confidence motion, so perhaps my text should have been more like "That this House has confidence in the policy of Her Majesty's Government in its renegotiation of the countries relationship with the European Union".
  • Options
    I very much doubt that Ed Miliband will be harmed by being attacked by a very rich young woman complaining about a tax that falls exclusively on the very rich.

But it gives me an excuse to post this splendid photoshopped picture:

http://i.imgur.com/J6qASg9.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour seems to be taking fire from luvvies & the media - who were onside during the time of St Tony. How the fuck did the Labour party end up in this position ?!
    Not following the rules and spurning the autocue?
  • Options

It's nonsensical; pointing at things and taxing them is what governments do. Though I'm no fan of Ed, I don't think he's sustained any damage here - Klass comes off worse than he does.

Taxing ongoing sources of liquid cash (like income, or transactions) is what Governments do. Claiming to be able to fund ongoing expenditure by taxing fixed assets is what idiots do
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    I'm hopeful the bookies will open their how many cabinet ministers will lose their seats at the election market.

Where on earth is the Lib Dem reshuffle btw ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Taxing ongoing sources of liquid cash (like income, or transactions) is what Governments do. Claiming to be able to fund ongoing expenditure by taxing fixed assets is what idiots do
    Selling off fixed assets is even worse!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2014
    “46% of LAB voters say that having EdM as leader is reason to vote for the party”

Presumably that is 46% of those that have not already deserted the party because of Ed, and the same group that followed a nut like Gordon Brown because he sports a red rosette? – not a ringing endorsement IMHO, but there you go….
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

I very much doubt that Ed Miliband will be harmed by being attacked by a very rich young woman complaining about a tax that falls exclusively on the very rich.

But it gives me an excuse to post this splendid photoshopped picture:

http://i.imgur.com/J6qASg9.jpg

D'oh, i've seen the photo shop now
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, exclusively on the very rich? I seriously doubt that's true (prices have gone crazy in London), and there's another issue. Those with £1m or £500,000 houses will be very nervous of the threshold coming down ever more.

Not so much mission creep, as tax creep.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Pulpstar said:

We can but hope that the over-promoted Nicky Morgan is ejected from Parliament by her constituents. If the Conservatives do form the next government then the good people of Loughborough will do us all a favour by making sure she cannot be part of it.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

"That this House has confidence in the policy of Her Majesty's Government on the adoption of the Protocol on Social Policy."

Was the most recent confidence motion, so perhaps my text should have been more like "That this House has confidence in the policy of Her Majesty's Government in its renegotiation of the countries relationship with the European Union".
    They could still have held a proper confidence motion after that and won it and kept on governing, at the risk of looking like twonks.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PBTories love it when a rich b1tch attacks Ed. Yeah, he has suffered big damage ? Bollocks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not happening, Carmichael is refusing to budge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11139050/Nick-Cleggs-Cabinet-reshuffle-stalls-as-Alistair-Carmichael-refuses-to-budge.html

Mind you if he doesn't budge, and the LDs are wiped out, he might be the next LD leader and I have him at 40/1.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Labour want to leave the EU now?

Blimey
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, this confuses me. Is Clegg not his leader? Surely he can just fire Carmichael (from the Cabinet)?
  • Options
    From the Beeb
    "Nick Clegg is taking questions in the Commons. Asked by Sir Edward Leigh, a Conservative, if there would be a vote on English votes for English laws before the election, he did not rule it out. In reply, he just said that this was being considered by a cabinet committee and that its proposals would be published soon.”

Hasn’t everything got to be on the table by St Andrews Day? Or is that just proposals for Scotland?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11139050/Nick-Cleggs-Cabinet-reshuffle-stalls-as-Alistair-Carmichael-refuses-to-budge.html

Mind you if he doesn't budge, and the LDs are wiped out, he might be the next LD leader and I have him at 40/1.
    What is a Lib Dem reshuffle ?
  • Options

Oh dear - 'shrewish' - have we a bit old Labour sexism creeping in here - as punishment you can wear £50 feminist T-shirt for a month - I can't be sure Harriet's washed it yet.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We can but hope that the over-promoted Nicky Morgan is ejected from Parliament by her constituents. If the Conservatives do form the next government then the good people of Loughborough will do us all a favour by making sure she cannot be part of it.
    She's doing a sterling job, she's made the Tories the choice of the voters when it comes to education.
  • Options

Mr. Antifrank, exclusively on the very rich? I seriously doubt that's true (prices have gone crazy in London), and there's another issue. Those with £1m or £500,000 houses will be very nervous of the threshold coming down ever more.

If you have an asset of £2 million, you are pretty much by definition very rich. Even if your asset of £2 million is supported by a mortgage, you must have a high income to have got the mortgage.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Myleene Angela Klass (born 6 April 1978) is an English singer, pianist, media personality and model, best known as a member of the now defunct pop band Hear'Say who released two studio albums and four singles, the first two of which reached number one on the UK singles chart. Klass, herself, has released two solo classical albums in 2003 and 2007.
    Klass is now better known for being a presenter; she fronted the shows Popstar to Operastar between 2010 and 2011 on ITV and The One Show in 2007 on BBC One. In April 2012 her net worth was estimated at £11 million.

She should move to the shires !
  • Options
    edited November 2014

The AVERAGE house price in London is £514,000, and houses in the past year in London increased by 19.1% on average, so in 8 years the average house will be over £2m at that rate. 8 years isn't very long for a couple with a young family.
  • Options

Rofl - did you notice that Klasse isn't the leader of the Conservative party? She is the good-looking face of M&S - are we seriously counting this as Miliband finally notching up a win?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, this confuses me. Is Clegg not his leader? Surely he can just fire Carmichael (from the Cabinet)?

It confuses and angers me to, as I have two bets riding on Carmichael getting the heave ho.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

She's doing a sterling job, she's made the Tories the choice of the voters when it comes to education.
    Nicky Morgan's fantastic strength is that she's not Michael Gove.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    I am sorry but I find these suggested reasons for voting Labour quite funny, especially the ones about Ed and the economy.

The real reasons for voting Labour is a belief that it is the party of the working man and woman which wants to help the disadvantaged in society in their time of need and thinks that in general terms excessive inequality is a bad thing.

They may no longer be socialists in the conventional sense but they do believe that all members of society have worth, are deserving of respect (except bankers natch) and that we have a collective duty to provide for each other.

In my experience grass roots Labour includes a large number of the most decent, civically minded people you could hope to meet. How they put up with their leadership I really don't know. It would try the patience of a saint.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PBTories love it when a rich b1tch attacks Ed. Yeah, he has suffered big damage ? Bollocks.

More sexist attacks on successful women by the Labour trolls - she has seriously got under their skin. Will there now be a campaign to get M&S to drop her because she bullied Ed?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    A (probably mock) Just Giving donation page has been started for Klass to help her pay the mansion tax.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So they've thoroughly alienated their conservative (small c) WWC traditional voters with Islington 'this is what a feminist looks like' bollocks and open-door immigration. They've alienated their Scottish heartlands by being, err, anti-Scotland. They've alienated the Blairite / sensible wing by veering left. And thus became a party with only two constituencies - luvvies and dinosaurs. Klass is one of the luvvies and they ain't happy. Mansion Tax was always going to make rich London lefty luvvies have a cow. And that leaves - Ta Da - the unions. All Ed now has to do is piss them off and he can call Bingo.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

Nicky Morgan is one of the great winners under Lord A's two stage polling question. On the the first one she's level pegging with LAB in Loughborough. One the second seat based one she's 3% ahead. Don't knock it.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Scottish-Attitudes-November-Tables_1_46.pdf

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

"The shake-up has now been delayed to the weeks before Christmas."
  • Options
    I've no idea who Myleene Klass is, but a Google search suggests she's a hell of a lot more photogenic than Ed.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

The AVERAGE house price in London is £514,000, and houses in the past year in London increased by 19.1% on average, so in 8 years the average house will be over £2m at that rate. 8 years isn't very long for a couple with a young family.
    Well they'll all have a tremendous amount of equity then.
  • Options
    First IDS, now Carmichael. The smack of firm Government. Whatever happened to the “Attlee method”?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Hmm, a self made rich person, the sort Labour hates the most, no privilege, normal state school education, worked hard, had some success, terrible.
  • Options
    On Labour's 'fair movement' line, this isn't about policy (which will, at best, be cosmetic tinkering with benefit entitlements) but about associating the word "fairness" in the electorates mind with Labour, in the same way the Tories want to be with "long-term economic plan".

No doubt who will win that fight. GE2015 is tuning up to be a classic 'Head' vs. 'Heart' contest. Head will win, as it always does.
  • Options

I've no idea who Myleene Klass is, but a Google search suggests she's a hell of a lot more photogenic than Ed.

I expect that the tabloids would happily print pictures of her eating a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

Hmm, a self made rich person, the sort Labour hates the most, no privilege, normal state school education, worked hard, had some success, terrible.
    Indigo said:

surbiton said:

We also love it when St Hodges lays in to him for a change.... this title looks promising.

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges·3 mins3 minutes ago London, England
    Labour's new anti-immigration push shows Ed Miliband is a hypocrite a coward and a fool > Telegraph > http://tinyurl.com/lulwqny
  • Options
    Indigo said:

All Labour needs to do is say the £2m will go up by some index [ say the CGT indexation allowance ] and that will be that.

It will be seen as fair.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    felix said:

Rofl - did you notice that Klasse isn't the leader of the Conservative party? She is the good-looking face of M&S - are we seriously counting this as Miliband finally notching up a win?

Neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, but if we have to declare a winner then the winner is Ed for the reasons Antifrank gives below.
  • Options
    FYI - Friday might be the news cycle from hell for Dave, losing Rochester & Strood and Andy Coulson is getting released on tag on Friday morning.
This discussion has been closed.