Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Miliband rumblings haven’t quietened down after the

Comments

• Options
    The media storm about EdM is worrying me that he might end up resigning this side of the GE. Let us pray that it dies away soon. We need Labour to do a better job at tu*d polishing. Bring back Mandelson.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    JohnO said:

saddened said:

JohnO said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/farage-backs-marine-a-over-afghan-murder-99988

Well done Nigel.

norm morse ‏@normmoo 3m3 minutes ago
    @CarlWil35586309 @MikkiL @LBC Fair play to Farage, he is going as far as he can to support "A". No other party leaders have grown a pair.

Farage defending the traditional British right to commit murder.

Yeah, right. I suppose that's the kind of British values UKIP want to celebrate.

Presumably UKIP would take the same view if, say, evidence came to light of an Argentinian officer killing a wounded British soldier in cold-blood.
    The point of course is that the soldier shot a muslim. Thats OK in the kipper book.
    I really don't see very much wrong with what Sergeant Blackman did, from a moral point of view.

Really, it's pathetic to use this as a stick with which to beat Farage.

Seriously? You have no issues with a British serviceman killing a prisoner in cold blood?
    A wounded terrorist, who'd never offered to surrender?

Not really. I'd have more sympathy for the terrorist's victims.

Read up on the laws of land warfare then get back to me. Until then you'd be wise to keep clear of the subject.
    Good old Bob Sykes, four and a half years on and you still never disappoint. Disaster and despair and defeat for the Tories. Whatever the issue, whatever the outcome. But Cameron and Osborne out by Tuesday: that has to be your best yet.
    Guessing that's a misuse of the quote button, or you've lost me.
    The former - I agree with you, rather less with Bob on the matter of the EU outcome, not the rules of war!
    I don't think I actually predicted that Cam and Ossy would be out on their ear by Tuesday, I was picking up on the predictions yesterday that EdM could be out by Monday and using that as a point of reference.

But today's obfuscation and presenting a defeat as some sort of victory is utterly devastating for the Tories. It's as damaging to their credibility as the ERM exit in 1992 was for them.

Farage and UKIP are going to soar in the polls as this sinks in. The dream scenario for Farage was the UK having to pay up the full amount demanded. He's got that, but with a cherry on the top of Osborne and Cameron trampling their own credibility into the dirt by hailing it as a great victory for themselves.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

The sentence he received makes a mockery of British justice.

He was found guilty of murder. Something that carries a mandatory life sentence. The sentence was wholly appropriate for the crime he committed.
    Not compared to the thousands of life long scrotes living it up in comfort at one of HMP's finest.

People charged with murder, convicted/plea bargained to manslaughter on average serve 3.5 years.

He received 8 minimum, will obviously never do it again, so no reoffending risk. Plus his service should have been taken into account and he should have copped for PTSD, and that's not a joke if you've ever been a soldier. That shit haunts you.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    BenS said:

One key way to tell if this 'reduction' in the EU bill is spin or not - will GO put himself forward to be interviewed about it? (And on something like Newsnight, PM, or the Daily Politics, not the One Show...)

If he does, then fair play it may well be an actual reduction rather than slight of hand; if we see a minion on Newsnight tonight being skewered about it then we can probably assume it has all been a concocted piece of nonsense.

Where is Chloe when you need her ?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,449

chestnut said:

Farage should have foreseen this.

He's been in the European Parliament for 15 years. Surely, he should have been wise to Osborne's options?

He's been out-witted.

How has he been outwitted? This is no clear victory. All opposition parties are questioning the outcome and even Tory MEP's (who should understand as well as anyone) are questioning this outcome. Hannan (who's been all over the BBC about this) has called what Cameron and Osborne have done as an insult to the intelligence. Even Tory MEP'S think that Cameron and Osborne are trying to treat us like fools.

The end result is that Cameron and Osborne look devious and out to deceive the voters AGAIN over the EU. If you think that is out-witting Farage I'm sure he'll toast you with a pint on it!
    I do agree with Hannan on this, but I find him a hard figure to pin down. Unlike Carswell, who I think is with the passion of the converted being a bit too strident in damning those whom he was content to be amongst for so many years, if not without some discomfort, with Hannan my confusion arises from him seeming so confident and eloquent in his defence of the Uk and its systems, and he writes well, but then being so pessimistic about how well we will hold up against the EU. Maybe he is right, I feel like I'm getting closer to just giving up and wanting to vote Out every day, but that book of his on freedom felt like 90% patriotic and optimistic talk about how great the things the English made are, and then essentially saying the English actually must be really crap because we will of course fold at the slightest push. Right or wrong about that, it just felt weird he could simultaneously say we had been so strong, and yet we had no chance of doing anything good now (or at least he doesn't think we will)
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014
    Spectator gives a summary of what it understands to be the situation:

What George Osborne didn’t say – the EU still wants the full £1.7 billion

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/about-that-eu-bill-heres-what-george-osborne-didnt-mention/

Ed Balls sticking the boot in on the Beeb now.......
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Did WWII troops come back and start slaughtering their fellow countrymen and women?

Laughable and also weak.

This is a widely recognised problem for returning troops.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/04/ptsd_and_violence_by_veterans_increased_murder_rates_related_to_war_experience.html

"After the Civil War, in the victorious North fully two-thirds of all men sentenced to prison were veterans."

"The increased violence around Fort Carson began at the start of the Iraq war. A 126-page Army report known as an “Epidemiological Consultation” released in 2009 found that the murder rate around the Army’s third-largest post had doubled and that the number of rape arrests had tripled. As David Philipps wrote in Lethal Warriors, his 2010 book about the crime spree, “In the year after the battalion returned from Iraq, the per-capita murder rate for this small group of soldiers was a hundred times greater than the national average.” "
  • Options

JohnO said:

saddened said:

JohnO said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Well done Nigel.

@CarlWil35586309 @MikkiL @LBC Fair play to Farage, he is going as far as he can to support "A". No other party leaders have grown a pair.

Farage defending the traditional British right to commit murder.

Yeah, right. I suppose that's the kind of British values UKIP want to celebrate.

Presumably UKIP would take the same view if, say, evidence came to light of an Argentinian officer killing a wounded British soldier in cold-blood.
    The point of course is that the soldier shot a muslim. Thats OK in the kipper book.
    I really don't see very much wrong with what Sergeant Blackman did, from a moral point of view.

Really, it's pathetic to use this as a stick with which to beat Farage.

Seriously? You have no issues with a British serviceman killing a prisoner in cold blood?

Read up on the laws of land warfare then get back to me. Until then you'd be wise to keep clear of the subject.
    Good old Bob Sykes, four and a half years on and you still never disappoint. Disaster and despair and defeat for the Tories. Whatever the issue, whatever the outcome. But Cameron and Osborne out by Tuesday: that has to be your best yet.
    The former - I agree with you, rather less with Bob on the matter of the EU outcome, not the rules of war!
    I don't think I actually predicted that Cam and Ossy would be out on their ear by Tuesday, I was picking up on the predictions yesterday that EdM could be out by Monday and using that as a point of reference.

But today's obfuscation and presenting a defeat as some sort of victory is utterly devastating for the Tories. It's as damaging to their credibility as the ERM exit in 1992 was for them.

It seems odd that they have made such a big deal of what even at first glance seems like a load of bull. I think everyone expected a 'victory' announcement like this at some point, but down the line, maybe even drag it out until after the election, but this? On the face of it it seems laughable.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Did WWII troops come back and start slaughtering their fellow countrymen and women?

Laughable and also weak.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/04/ptsd_and_violence_by_veterans_increased_murder_rates_related_to_war_experience.html

"After the Civil War, in the victorious North fully two-thirds of all men sentenced to prison were veterans."

"The increased violence around Fort Carson began at the start of the Iraq war. A 126-page Army report known as an “Epidemiological Consultation” released in 2009 found that the murder rate around the Army’s third-largest post had doubled and that the number of rape arrests had tripled. As David Philipps wrote in Lethal Warriors, his 2010 book about the crime spree, “In the year after the battalion returned from Iraq, the per-capita murder rate for this small group of soldiers was a hundred times greater than the national average.” "
    Much of the support among the political class for the GI Bill after the Second World War was concern that if so many soldiers came back and didn't have a good life there could be a lot of violence from them.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228

JohnO said:

saddened said:

JohnO said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Sean_F said:

MikeK said:

Well done Nigel.

Farage and UKIP are going to soar in the polls as this sinks in. The dream scenario for Farage was the UK having to pay up the full amount demanded. He's got that, but with a cherry on the top of Osborne and Cameron trampling their own credibility into the dirt by hailing it as a great victory for themselves.
    Shall we wait a few days and see the fall-out?

I think you will be comprehensively disproved.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Soldiers are generally violent, it's what they're paid for and the ones you are talking about fought under the 'rules of war'.

What is your point again?

Edit. Civil war, seriously. I imagine a lot of the people in jail after the war were veterans considering all men of a certain age in certain areas would have been on one side or the other. Same probably applied to the UK after WWII.
  • Options
    So I guess we know who David Cameron's "boss" is, after all: Jean-Claude Juncker and the European Commission. The views of the British public have been, once and again, completely disregarded.
  • Options
    .Cameron lying his arse off on the BBC!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2014
    A lot of people guessing what the calculations mean, so I'll have a go.

If the UK gets a proportionate rebate on it's contributions, it must follow that the presentation of an increased, backdated bill will also be accompanied by an entitlement to a backdated increase in the rebate.

The £850m rebate being offset against the £1.7bn is the backdated rebate, and is nothing to do with current contributions/rebates.

This means the only additional new cost is £850m.

• Options
    On the phone from Brussels, a commission aid told me that Osborne will

‘pay first and then get the rebate’

So they might not even be able to net them into one payment? That's another line out the window: the £1.7 billion will actually be given.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,194
    IS THIS A FORERUNNER OF DAVE'S VICTORY ON THE RENEGOTIATION ?!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Soldiers are generally violent,
    You've never been in the military have you?
  • Options
    I might defect to UKIP. I'm not intrinsically anti-EU, but I've had enough of Cameron and Osborne.

Cretins.

I'm becoming attracted to the "f..k the lot of 'em" party....
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Soldiers are generally violent, it's what they're paid for and the ones you are talking about fought under the 'rules of war'.

So your suggestion for a group that is already prone to responsibility for greatly increased crime rates (something that two posts ago you regarded as laughable but now tacitly have accepted you were being a complete cretin about) is to give them carte blanche to behave as they think fit in relation to enemy combatants that you disapprove of, because that surely won't cause any greater problems?

It's an interesting theory, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

You haven't read the comments on this thread have you, you numpty?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well, indeed. Christmas has come 6 weeks early for Farage, on so many levels.

Fill yer boots, Nigel. You'll never have an opportunity like you've got now...
  • Options

I might defect to UKIP. I'm not intrinsically anti-EU, but I've had enough of Cameron and Osborne.

Cretins.

I'm becoming attracted to the "f..k the lot of 'em" party....

If they're going to deceive over this, and deceive over the Eurozone bailouts, and deceive over the EU budget cut, and deceive over the Treaty veto, how on Earth can we trust them on an In-Out referendum?

They'll probably come up with a referendum that says "Do you approve of David Cameron's repatriation of (minor) powers?" and then after they win it, claim that was an In-Out referendum, as we'd have left had it been a No. It wouldn't make any logical sense, but neither does the claim that this bill has been halved.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,368
    saddened said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Have you been in combat? If so, tell us something of your experiences.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If the UK gets a proportionate rebate on it's contributions, it must follow that the presentation of an increased, backdated bill will also be accompanied by an entitlement to a backdated increase in the rebate.

The £850m rebate being offset against the £1.7bn is the backdated rebate, and is nothing to do with current contributions/rebates.

Not so. It has already been made clear that the reduction is due to the rebate that we were already due on future contributions being brought forward. In the end the additional £1.7 billion over and above what we originally were supposed to pay will still be paid.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

So your suggestion for a group that is already prone to responsibility for greatly increased crime rates (something that two posts ago you regarded as laughable but now tacitly have accepted you were being a complete cretin about) is to give them carte blanche to behave as they think fit in relation to enemy combatants that you disapprove of, because that surely won't cause any greater problems?

You're making stuff up.

The argument was that not fighting under the rules of war would lead to violence at home.

You are disproving your theory with every post.

Soldiers are violent and prone to PTSD, it does make them angry and when provoked violent but that is the CURRENT state of affairs.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    Socrates said:

So I guess we know who David Cameron's "boss" is, after all: Jean-Claude Juncker and the European Commission. The views of the British public have been, once and again, completely disregarded.

And I imagine you won't be voting Conservative.
  • Options
    You lot are completely, stark raving mad.

£1.7bn becomes £850m, and you still accuse the government of lying.

It really is the most bizarre phenomenon, like the rewriting of history over the 'cast-iron' guarantee.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Not so. It has already been made clear that the reduction is due to the rebate that we were already due on future contributions being brought forward. In the end the additional £1.7 billion over and above what we originally were supposed to pay will still be paid.
    David "We won't be paying anything like £1.7bn" Cameron. What a liar.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

I spent just short of twelve years in the Army, five of which where in Ireland. While not remotely approaching the intensity of modern troops the same fundamentals applied. What's your experience?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

It seems to me pretty clear that the EU made a mistake. George Osborne corrected that mistake, deferred payments and got it interest free.

A modest victory, not the big one he is claiming, but a victory nonetheless.

So presumably you can provide a single press report showing that the EU made a mistake in the original demand.
    How about you providing a single press report showing that the rebate was expected to be applied and that the bill was never £1.7bn
    But British and EU officials acknowledged that will only be achieved by changing the timing of the normal “British rebate” the UK receives on all payments it makes to the EU.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d5cf6594-667d-11e4-9c0c-00144feabdc0.html

Your turn.
    *Before* the announcement.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Magnificent!

Real smoke and mirrors worthy of Gordon at his best.

And Balls' solution to the bill? Open your wallet to the nice EU people and hope they won't take too much.

Farce upon farce.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

All troops returning from Afghanistan have to undergo an indeterminate period of rehabilitation in Cyprus. This can be a few days if the psychologists and medics think they are okay or can be much longer - months in some cases - if there are concerns about their mental state and inability to 'come down' from active service.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

You're making stuff up.

The argument was that not fighting under the rules of war would lead to violence at home.

Soldiers are violent and prone to PTSD, it does make them angry and when provoked violent but that is the CURRENT state of affairs.
    So you empower them to behave still more violently? Are you always this daft, or is this a Friday afternoon special for you?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

It really is the most bizarre phenomenon, like the rewriting of history over the 'cast-iron' guarantee.

I'm guessing Bloomberg, the Guardian, the Financial Times, the Spectator, the most famous Conservative MEP, the Budget Commissioner of the European Commission, the Finance Minister of Ireland and the Finance Minister of the Netherlands are all stark raving mad when they say the bill will be paid in full then?
  • Options
    Are Labour and the Tories trying to have a competition to see who can lose the most votes?

This is almost comical.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,368
    saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

I spent just short of twelve years in the Army, five of which where in Ireland. While not remotely approaching the intensity of modern troops the same fundamentals applied. What's your experience?
    saddened said:

Sean_F said:

saddened said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

I've never served. Although I've family members and friends who have. I value their opinions.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I imagine it will be revised again at some point, even if you are right, and yet apparently the government's account is being challenged by many many people, not all of them mad. What does any of it matter

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    kle4 said:

I imagine it will be revised again at some point. What does any of it matter
    Credibility and trust.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Let's review the timeline.

EU says give us 1.7bn

Nobody, not the EU, not Farage, not Balls, says and you will get a refund

Osborne says to EU, are we not due a refund?

Everyone else says Oh well yes, of course

And this makes Osborne look bad how exactly?
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

The sentence he received makes a mockery of British justice.

He was found guilty of murder. Something that carries a mandatory life sentence. The sentence was wholly appropriate for the crime he committed.
    Not compared to the thousands of life long scrotes living it up in comfort at one of HMP's finest.

People charged with murder, convicted/plea bargained to manslaughter on average serve 3.5 years.

He received 8 minimum, will obviously never do it again, so no reoffending risk. Plus his service should have been taken into account and he should have copped for PTSD, and that's not a joke if you've ever been a soldier. That shit haunts you.
    The answer is in your own comment. He was found guilty of murder not manslaughter. As such there is a mandatory sentence and the 8 year minimum is the normal part of that.

• Options

Are Labour and the Tories trying to have a competition to see who can lose the most votes?

This is almost comical.

Nigel can't believe his luck !
  • Options
    @Number10press: PM on £1.7bn EU bill: It’s been halved, it’s been delayed, no interest is being paid & we’ve changed the rules so this can’t happen again.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2014

Using the powers of creative accounting doesn't change the fact that Cameron promised not to pay and now he pays half of it now and half of it sometime later.
    Also according to the Spectator the maximum thought to be allowed without a major backbench rebellion was 400 million, even with creative accounting 850 million is more than double that.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,884
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

Well, indeed. Christmas has come 6 weeks early for Farage, on so many levels.

Fill yer boots, Nigel. You'll never have an opportunity like you've got now...
    This morning I suggested Farage may have the easiest job in politics; all he has to do is sit back and let the news rounds do his work for him.

On reflection, I may have overstated the difficulties.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I'm guessing Bloomberg, the Guardian, the Financial Times, the Spectator, the most famous Conservative MEP, the Budget Commissioner of the European Commission, the Finance Minister of Ireland and the Finance Minister of the Netherlands are all stark raving mad when they say the bill will be paid in full then?
    The bill will be paid in full, all £850m of it.

What will not be paid is the original demand for £1.7bn.

Faced with that simple fact, the usual suspects are now saying 'Ah yes, but it wasn't going to be £1.7bn in the first place.'

But, as we have shown, they didn't say that before today.

• Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014
    Because the soldiers we send to fight in Afghanistan will return to Britain, and if we do not keep them within a legal framework of operation there, we can expect them on their return to behave just as shockingly here.

As you have so succinctly pointed out. Soldiers already behave badly, it's what they do.

What rules of war they fight under I really don't think makes much difference. I know it must come as a shock to you but war is a bloody, horrible, filthy business which makes animals of men. Rules of war or no.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2014
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

It seems to me pretty clear that the EU made a mistake. George Osborne corrected that mistake, deferred payments and got it interest free.

A modest victory, not the big one he is claiming, but a victory nonetheless.

So presumably you can provide a single press report showing that the EU made a mistake in the original demand.
    How about you providing a single press report showing that the rebate was expected to be applied and that the bill was never £1.7bn
    But British and EU officials acknowledged that will only be achieved by changing the timing of the normal “British rebate” the UK receives on all payments it makes to the EU.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d5cf6594-667d-11e4-9c0c-00144feabdc0.html

Your turn.
    *Before* the announcement.

I've shown them one already; it says the complete opposite of what they're spinning so they ignore it.

The Guardian claimed yesterday that the rebate had already been taken into account when calculating the £1.7bn
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/06/britain-european-union-surcharge-bill-q-and-a
  • Options
    The triple backflips the Tories on here are trying to do to justify this shows how hopelessly they put party loyalty above logic or truth. I hadn't really doubted Cameron's commitment to a 2017 referendum before, but now I know we can't trust the Tories on whether black is black or white is white.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Using the powers of creative accounting doesn't change the fact that Cameron promised not to pay and now he pays half of it now and half of it sometime later.
    Didn't he technically say we wouldn't pay it 'now', very carefully in essence promising we would without actually saying it out loud? I'm not surprised at this outcome, and the claiming of victory, it just seems a lot earlier than seems credible.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Deleted due to formatting issues
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Didn't he technically say we wouldn't pay it 'now', very carefully in essence promising we would without actually saying it out loud? I'm not surprised at this outcome, and the claiming of victory, it just seems a lot earlier than seems credible.
    He said that at first and then later said he wouldn't pay the full amount at all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Everyone knew that he will pay, just not making the announcement so soon.
  • Options

With respect Richard, and I do respect you and think you talk sense, I fear you are in a minority of two on this - you and Osborne.

Everyone else, all the media, the public, everyone has rumbled it.

We've won nothing - other than a concession on timing, interest and instalments. We're still paying exactly what we would have been paying anyway. And £850m net is still an appalling and unacceptable number. To have achieved nothing other than a longer period to pay it is an abject failure, which is an absolute dream of a gift to UKIP.
  • Options
    He is paying none of it now, half of it later and the rest of it never

And this is bad because..?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any more news on whether we're getting a Rochester poll tonight?
  • Options

Socrates said:

Faced with that simple fact, the usual suspects are now saying 'Ah yes, but it wasn't going to be £1.7bn in the first place.'

The Guardian and I did, but Osborne used a magic word so that you can ignore that uncomfortable fact. Lame.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

No, not the £850m, the £1.7bn (or €2.1bn):

EU finance ministers agreed in principle today to stretch out Britain’s payment of a 2.1 billion-euro ($2.6 billion) bill until September 2015. While the accounting arrangement includes an accelerated refund, it would leave the U.K.’s overall contributions to the EU untouched.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Anyway for Cameron and Co to get a positive spin on this? Given most people no longer trust them on the EU, and in any case all people will focus on is 'We're paying X extra', not 'Well the shakedown could have been a lot worse; at least we still have all our fingers, so be grateful'.

And I'm sure I saw plenty of people and pundits talk about how we would pay less in the end, so 'achieving' that was factored in, hence no gratitude. It's still a buttload more.
  • Options
    Dutch Minister confirms Britain entitled to bigger rebate as a result of bigger bill;

""They initially presented the figures in a worse light than they were, because they've had the rebate since the 70s, I believe. The rebate is also applicable to additional payments ," Dijsselbloem told reporters after a meeting of EU finance ministers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    Luckily the internet makes it incredibly easy to catch people out when they try to rewrite history.

Here we go, from 24th October:

The commission told the various countries of the revamped figures on 17 October, EU officials said. They said Britain had until 1 December to provide €2.1bn (£1.7bn), roughly a fifth of the UK’s annual net contribution to the EU.

On an LBC radio phone-in on Friday morning, the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, said Cameron would have little option but to go along with the demand. “Of course he will pay up. These are the rules, the contributions to the European Union was a very complex formula and part of it is a measurement of your GDP against everybody else’s. There’s nothing he can do.
    Cameron signalled he could be prepared to compromise on the bill, as he only ruled out paying as much as the £1.7bn demanded.

Asked if the UK would eventually cough up, he suggested that a lower sum could be acceptable.

“If it is €2bn, no we are not. That is not acceptable. We do have these changes where they look at how economies have grown. Sometimes you pay a little bit more, sometimes you pay a little bit less. But it has never happened like this before, with a €2bn bill.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/24/david-cameron-eu-budget-demand-europe
  • Options

With respect Richard, and I do respect you and think you talk sense, I fear you are in a minority of two on this - you and Osborne.

We've won nothing - other than a concession on timing, interest and instalments. We're still paying exactly what we would have been paying anyway. And £850m net is still an appalling and unacceptable number. To have achieved nothing other than a longer period to pay it is an abject failure, which is an absolute dream of a gift to UKIP.
    Why is £850m net an appalling and unacceptable number?

No one seems interested in engaging with the question of what we actually should pay. It's as though the whole country has become deranged.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    If Labour do start a three month period leader election period, it would be the perfect time to engineer a motion that "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government" which would override the Fixed Term Parliament act and force a general election in the middle of the Labour civil war with Hattie at the helm....

It does occur that in one respect the fixed term parliament act is not worth the paper it is written on as any prime minister with a majority who wants an election can just whip his members into voting his government down in a no confidence motion, although it would probably be less contraversial to just repeal the fixed term parliament act on a whipped vote.
  • Options

This thing has play out as thus:
    Last week "EU demands money, Cameron says No"
    Early in the week "EU demands money, Cameron says maybe but not now"
    Today "EU demands money, Cameron says OK I give up"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

You can prove anything with facts.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

You're making stuff up.

So you empower them to behave still more violently? Are you always this daft, or is this a Friday afternoon special for you?
    You are the one saying it would make them more violent and then you proceeded to show me that returning soldiers are violent, ones that fought under 'the rule of war' and the Geneva convention. We're both winners because I'm also laughing at you.

Not forgetting the stupid bloody rules of engagement, mostly written by twats in Whitehall.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Oh shush, Swiss Bob wants to let our soldiers run through Afghanistan like Rambo on crack. It can't do any longterm harm, can it?
  • Options
    I think the major problem is that basically we owed £850 million in the first place, yet the Gov't was happy for the 1.7 Bn number to be widely reported (Journos not doing their homework... quell surprise) and now is spinning it that we pay "half"

The result is that it makes Osborne in particular look "too clever by half". Something he is quite good at.
  • Options
    Good news. Ed is safe...

@joncraig: Lab MP who's no fan of Ed M tells me: "The trouble is our rules are so ridiculous that if Ed goes we'd have Harriet running things again."
  • Options

Luckily the internet makes it incredibly easy to catch people out when they try to rewrite history.

Here we go, from 24th October:

The commission told the various countries of the revamped figures on 17 October, EU officials said. They said Britain had until 1 December to provide €2.1bn (£1.7bn), roughly a fifth of the UK’s annual net contribution to the EU.

On an LBC radio phone-in on Friday morning, the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, said Cameron would have little option but to go along with the demand. “Of course he will pay up. These are the rules, the contributions to the European Union was a very complex formula and part of it is a measurement of your GDP against everybody else’s. There’s nothing he can do.
    Cameron signalled he could be prepared to compromise on the bill, as he only ruled out paying as much as the £1.7bn demanded.

Asked if the UK would eventually cough up, he suggested that a lower sum could be acceptable.

“If it is €2bn, no we are not. That is not acceptable. We do have these changes where they look at how economies have grown. Sometimes you pay a little bit more, sometimes you pay a little bit less. But it has never happened like this before, with a €2bn bill.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/24/david-cameron-eu-budget-demand-europe

"Nigel Farage, said Cameron would have little option but to go along with the demand. “Of course he will pay up."

Guess what? Cameron payed up.

Everyone knew that he will do a U turn, it's the speed of it that is more damaging, people haven't forgotten yet Cameron's initial position before the completion of the U turn.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014

>The Guardian and I did, but Osborne used a magic word so that you can ignore that uncomfortable fact. Lame.

The Guardian didn't.

The entire indignation was about the bill for £1.7bn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anyway for Cameron and Co to get a positive spin on this? .

1) Bill reduced from £1.7 bn to £850m because they successfully argued extra backdated rebate was due;

2) Threats of interest charges dropped:

3) Payment deferred and to be made in instalments:

4) System to be changed to prevent anything similar happening again;

5) People who have spent 15 years in the European Parliament don't seem to know how it all works.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

No one seems interested in engaging with the question of what we actually should pay. It's as though the whole country has become deranged.
    Most people are only just feeling some glimmers of recovery now, I do not think most people mentally accept the idea we have done so much better than everyone else, particularly given the ingrained dislike of giving the EU anything in the first place.

For me I felt close to snapping when the bill came because the news was bundled with the EU parliament still after more money. The EU will get what it wants in the end, what's the point of fighting it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

We never had any wriggle room on paying this. It was dumb of Cameron to suggest that we did (although he could credibly claim he was incensed by the demand to cough up by December). It the same system we've been part of - and compliant with - for decades.

Without understanding the calculation in full, I can't really comment on it's appalling-ness or unacceptability with the confidence of some other posters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Most people are only just feeling some glimmers of recovery now, I do not think most people mentally accept the idea we have done so much better than everyone else, particularly given the ingrained dislike of giving the EU anything in the first place.

For me I felt close to snapping when the bill came because the news was bundled with the EU parliament still after more money. The EU will get what it wants in the end, what's the point of fighting it.
    I can understand the emotional response - no one likes getting an unexpected bill. And the Commission handled it with the tact and diplomacy of the later stages of a Bernard Manning show.

But why should it be unacceptable, given that it does seem to be what we are due to pay?
  • Options
    Quick question - Has the rebate element been applied historically to additional payments of this type ?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Guess what? Cameron payed up.

Really?

You've got a big news story then.

If you can show the receipt from the EU for £1.7bn then you've got the scoop of the decade.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

Anyway for Cameron and Co to get a positive spin on this? .

1) Bill reduced from £1.7 bn to £850m because they successfully argued extra backdated rebate was due;

2) Threats of interest charges dropped:

3) Payment deferred and to be made in instalments:

4) System to be changed to prevent anything similar happening again;

5) People who have spent 15 years in the European Parliament don't seem to know how it all works.
    Damaged credibility by massive U turn is in one sentence what has occurred.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It does look like the commission did not apply the rebate when they sent us the original bill

They did want the full amount, and they didn't get it.

How that is being spun as failure for Cameron is bizarre
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Alistair said:

antifrank said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Laughable.

Laughable and also weak.

Oh shush, Swiss Bob wants to let our soldiers run through Afghanistan like Rambo on crack. It can't do any longterm harm, can it?
    Actually, right from the start I said it was stupid and they never should have gone.

I also wrote a piece which the Tele stole and put on their front page highlighting how our soldiers were dying by going through all the MoD press releases and doing the stats. It had quite a big impact because it showed the vast majority dying from IEDs.

They didn't even bother changing the colours on the Excel.

Any moron who'd read Flashman would know it was a mugs game and for my Corps training I wrote a paper on the Russians in Afghanistan so I doubly knew what would happen.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

I can understand the emotional response - no one likes getting an unexpected bill. And the Commission handled it with the tact and diplomacy of the later stages of a Bernard Manning show.

But why should it be unacceptable, given that it does seem to be what we are due to pay?
    Maybe it's acceptable, but not worth it anymore? Straw that broke the camel's back and all that.

But then again apparently support for leaving the EU is stable to falling, so I guess people don't care really. Or not enough anyway - like me, they'll bitch and moan, but step back from leaving. Not a pleasant recipe for us or the EU - a continually surly, bitter UK causing arguments at every little thing, and the EU arrogant at knowing the members are going nowhere, and irritated and resentful at the disruption being caused.
  • Options
    When you read the contortions Tories are going through to justify Osborne's lie one has to question whether the economy is safe with this bunch of innumerate con men?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

How that is being spun as failure for Cameron is bizarre

The fact that he is paying anything at all is deemed to be a "failure".

The only acceptable solution to many would have been a £0 bill (or €0 in Euros).

• Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Let's review the timeline.

EU says give us 1.7bn

Nobody, not the EU, not Farage, not Balls, says and you will get a refund

Osborne says to EU, are we not due a refund?

Everyone else says Oh well yes, of course

And this makes Osborne look bad how exactly?
    The refund is one we were due on future payments and has been brought forward. Osborne looks bad because he is pretending this is a reduction when in fact it is nothing of the sort. Overall we will still end paying the extra £1.7 billion.They have simply tinkered with where they assign the rebate.
  • Options
    So what bet the Tories wished this news, spun well or not, had not been needed today, to see if they could keep the Ed M media storm going.
  • Options

When you read the contortions Tories are going through to justify Osborne's lie one has to question whether the economy is safe with this bunch of innumerate con men?

What lie?

Imagine you are in a Supermarket and at the till you are presented with a bill for £10

Ah, but, you say, I have a coupon for £5 off

Did you pay the full amount, or did you pay half?

Answers on a postcard to Ed Balls and Nigel Farage...
  • Options

Because they are lying. The amount we will pay overall has not decreased one penny as a result of this deal. They have simply shifted when we get a rebate. You Tories are either very stupid or very desperate to believe the lie that this has in any way reduced what we owe.
  • Options

The refund is one we were due on future payments

Except nobody said we were due it until after Osborne secured it
  • Options

Because they are lying. The amount we will pay overall has not decreased one penny as a result of this deal. They have simply shifted when we get a rebate.

Who said we were due a rebate, and when did they say it?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

The refund is one we were due on future payments

Except nobody said we were due it until after Osborne secured it
    I think you and Richard are looking increasingly desperate on this.

1. Cameron shouldn't have spouted off that he'd "never pay" (I paraphrase)
    2. Osborne did actually gain a reasonble concession in payment terms
    3. He then stupidly claimed a huge victory, purely by shuffling dates
    4. He was called out on it PDQ
    5. Osborne and Cameron look shifty. Every other party piles on.

It was the mismatch between 2 and 3, combined with the atmosphere of expectation created by 1 that has led to point 5. It's a classic Tory-EU clusterfuck, and it wont be the last.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Scott_P said:

Because they are lying. The amount we will pay overall has not decreased one penny as a result of this deal. They have simply shifted when we get a rebate.

Who said we were due a rebate, and when did they say it?
    Margaret Thatcher, 1984.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

It may well turn out that this is deemed bad news in the long run, but the desperation to me looks like it is coming from all the commentators now aftertiming madly that the rebate they never mentioned was always part of the deal.

It wasn't. Now it is. That's a win however you spin it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What lie?

Imagine you are in a Supermarket and at the till you are presented with a bill for £10

Ah, but, you say, I have a coupon for £5 off

Did you pay the full amount, or did you pay half?

Answers on a postcard to Ed Balls and Nigel Farage...
    That somehow the bill has been halved. As a result of this bill the UK has £1.7 billion less . unallocated funding between now and the end of 2015 and presumably another £1.7 billion borrowings and associated interest payments. End of story and procastinating about it only makes you look even more desperate than clearly Osborne and Cameron are to demonstrate their faux Eurosceptic credentials that no self respecting Eurosceptic believes anyway!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,228
    Chancellor says bill was cut to £850m but Treasury aides admit Britain is also returning its automatic rebate, making up the rest
  • Options
    UK to pay £1.7bn EU bill in full despite Osborne’s claim to have halved it,

According to Guardian
  • Options
    Telegraph

Under the deal hammered out yesterday, Britain will settle the full £1.7billion surcharge with EU but actual cash transfers from London to Brussels will only be made for half that amount.
    The £850million will be paid from the Treasury in two instalments, to be made in July and September 2015.
    The outstanding £850 million will be covered by a European Commission payment, money that would have been due to Britain from its annual rebate in 2016.
    The rebate on the surcharge is at a higher rate of 50 per cent under a special 1998 agreement between Britain and EU that covers budget revisions and surcharges.
    Senior EU officials quickly cast doubt on Mr Osborne’s claim that he had “halved the bill” by insisting that the rebate of £850million would always have been paid.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Anorak said:

It may well turn out that this is deemed bad news in the long run, but the desperation to me looks like it is coming from all the commentators now aftertiming madly that the rebate they never mentioned was always part of the deal.

It wasn't. Now it is. That's a win however you spin it.
    Can you not read simple English.

Senior EU officials quickly cast doubt on Mr Osborne’s claim that he had “halved the bill” by insisting that the rebate of £850million would always have been paid.

You are making yourself look stupid.

The only concession is the delay to July and September 2015 instead of December.
This discussion has been closed.