Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Miliband rumblings haven’t quietened down after the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Miliband rumblings haven’t quietened down after the weekend then he could be in trouble

Looking over the past couple of days the trigger for the Miliband leadership speculation appears to have been a highly critical article in the normally Ed-friendly New Statesman by the Editor, Jason Cowley. He then went on to stand by his views on Sky News.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    He definitely doesn't need some bad polling this weekend
  • Options
    The thing that will save him is that Lab can't do what the Tories did 2003 when they ditched IDS for Howard without a long bloody drawn out leadership contest.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    FPT.

"And frankly, he deserves it - has been the worst Labour leader ever, by a mile."

Correct.

Kinnock (who I dislike) could at least deliver a speech, and on occasions produce truly superb oratory (Llandudno conference).

Foot had a scintillating intellect, even though he was a poor leader at a time when the Labour party was not able to be led. His biography of Aneurin Bevan is still superb.

The best that can be said about Ed Miliband is that he is basically quite likeable (in the way that say Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine is likeable).

I don't feel angry about Miliband any more. I feel very sorry for him.

He has a long dark night of misery waiting for him. Defeat is coming.

And defeat bought at the cost of huge damage to personal relationships in his immediate family.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,005

The thing that will save him is that Lab can't do what the Tories did 2003 when they ditched IDS for Howard without a long bloody drawn out leadership contest.

On the other hand, I just can't see who is going to come and defend him. The Labour party as whole agrees he has to go. This is a very different case to the defenestration of Thatcher.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2014
    The few senior Labour figures who failed to get momentum behind a leadership challenge within the party have resorted to going public.

They will fail to get momentum behond a leadership challenge because the process is too difficult and because it would be political folly to change leader so close to an election (voters hate divided parties).

All the rebels are doing is damaging their party, albeit a little less than a leadership contest would.

The Lib Dems were more intelligent about the tactics and pulled back from a leadership challenge. Conservatives are slowly catching on as well.
  • Options
    Today's YouGov could be pivotal, as it will be the first since the story broke properly. I'll guess at Con 31% Lab 29% - but isn't it something that Ed's future could conceivably turn on sampling error?
  • Options

Today's YouGov could be pivotal, as it will be the first since the story broke properly. I'll guess at Con 31% Lab 29% - but isn't it something that Ed's future could conceivably turn on sampling error?

No yougov today.

Next YouGov is for the Sunday Times.

The thing to note about that, most of the fieldwork will be done today
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I don't think they do a Friday poll
  • Options

FPT.

"And frankly, he deserves it - has been the worst Labour leader ever, by a mile."

Correct.

Kinnock (who I dislike) could at least deliver a speech, and on occasions produce truly superb oratory (Llandudno conference).

Foot had a scintillating intellect, even though he was a poor leader at a time when the Labour party was not able to be led. His biography of Aneurin Bevan is still superb.

The best that can be said about Ed Miliband is that he is basically quite likeable (in the way that say Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine is likeable).

And defeat bought at the cost of huge damage to personal relationships in his immediate family.

Kinnock in my view was one of the best (which is why his support for Ed - whom he played a big role in getting elected - is painful to me). Kinnock rescued the party from oblivion and laid the foundations for its subsequent successes. Many people favourably compare the admirable self-discipline of the party to the suicidal divisions of the tories, and it was Kinnock who first instilled that discipline. All the more remarkable in that, as you note, he inherited an ungovernable party from Foot.
  • Options
    EdM is a pathetically inadequate politician but Labour made him their leader and are too incompetent to remove him. Let's hope that the prognosis of Labour's demise proves accurate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,396
    edited November 2014
    Right, here's ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) for week-ending 2nd November, including the Survation poll (Fieldwork ended last Saturday, you see!):

Lab 32.6% (-0.7)
    Con 31.5% (-0.8)
    UKIP 17.3% (+1.4)
    LD 7.7% (+0.4)

Lab lead 1.1% (nc)

changes from our very first ELBOW on 17th August:

Lab -3.5%
    Con -1.6%
    UKIP +4.2%
    LD -1.1%

Lab lead -1.9% (ie. was 3.0%, now 1.1%)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2014

On the other hand, I just can't see who is going to come and defend him. The Labour party as whole agrees he has to go. This is a very different case to the defenestration of Thatcher.
    To be gone He only needs someone that the party can unite behind.

That person doesn't exist. Plus I can't see people like Chuka standing by and letting someone else in.

Plus there's no mechanism for a stalking horse.

If he goes it will be if enough shadow cabinet ministers publicly say Ed is crap and he must go.
  • Options
    philiph said:

I don't think they do a Friday poll
    Yes, sorry, I meant the poll that is going on today - badly worded on my part...
  • Options
    Ed Miliband looks safe enough to me. Lack of support is insufficient to topple him. Labour would need an active movement for his replacement, complete with a candidate that the party could rally round.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Have I read the table correctly? Survation have UKIP 1st nationally among male voters?
  • Options
    Off topic, for the lunchtime crowd, here's my piece from this morning looking at how all the various constituency markets fit together and their implications for the overall general election result:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-constituency-markets-today-putting.html
  • Options
    edited November 2014

FPT.

Correct.

Kinnock in my view was one of the best (which is why his support for Ed - whom he played a big role in getting elected - is painful to me). Kinnock rescued the party from oblivion and laid the foundations for its subsequent successes. Many people favourably compare the admirable self-discipline of the party to the suicidal divisions of the tories, and it was Kinnock who first instilled that discipline. All the more remarkable in that, as you note, he inherited an ungovernable party from Foot.
    How many Labour Leaders lost two elections in a row?
  • Options

To be gone He only needs someone that the party can unite behind.

That person doesn't exist. Plus I can't see people like Chuka standing by and letting someone else in.

Plus there's no mechanism for a stalking horse.

If he goes it will be if enough shadow cabinet ministers publicly say Ed is crap and he must go.
    It will be difficult, but not impossible. It has to happen this weekend, involve all the possible candidates, and they have to agree a course of action. But Labour does have self-discipline and I think they could agree this. If, however, there is no agreement this weekend, they have to give up and stick with Ed; there will be no other course.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Twitter saying now or never for Cooper and Burnham. Others saying they are waiting till after election, but how does "I bottled my chance to topple the worst leader in history" enhance their leadership credentials?
  • Options

FPT.

Correct.

Harold Wilson.
  • Options

FPT.

Correct.

Kier Hardie?
  • Options
    Wow

@GuidoFawkes: Latest Labour strategy: 'Please retweet to save our leader!' #SaveEd http://t.co/KL2zWPFIsK http://t.co/jwuRZ0uCNe

@GuidoFawkes: Labour insider: "Trickett is verging on being educationally sub-normal."
  • Options
    I missed the last thread, how seriously does anyone take the Survation polling?

On the one hand they are relatively new to the game, on the other hand they have had some successes so far. But that last poll just looked freakish, and thinking of Survation's polling over a longer run, I'm not sure many people expect UKIP to perform as well as Survation suggests.

I'm just wondering, is seeing the Tories fare badly on a Survation poll (with Labour not performing particularly well either) pretty cold comfort compared to a similar lead in, say, an ICM poll?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

On the one hand they are relatively new to the game, on the other hand they have had some successes so far. But that last poll just looked freakish, and thinking of Survation's polling over a longer run, I'm not sure many people expect UKIP to perform as well as Survation suggests.

I'm just wondering, is seeing the Tories fare badly on a Survation poll (with Labour not performing particularly well either) pretty cold comfort compared to a similar lead in, say, an ICM poll?

When ComRes experimented with including UKIP in their prompting, the UKIP VI jumped 5 points, 19%>24%.

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1293/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-poll.htm

• Options
    Messrs. Nashe and Eagles:

OK, so Kinnock joins the illustrious company of Hardie and Wilson!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Twitter saying now or never for Cooper and Burnham. Others saying they are waiting till after election, but how does "I bottled my chance to topple the worst leader in history" enhance their leadership credentials?

They need AJ or Blunkett or some other yesterdays man to wield the knife.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

A weasel word (also, anonymous authority) is an informal term[1] for words and phrases aimed at creating an impression that a specific and/or meaningful statement has been made, when in fact only a vague or ambiguous claim has been communicated, enabling the specific meaning to be denied if the statement is challenged. A more formal term is equivocation.

[...]
    "A growing body of evidence..."[14] (Where is the raw data for your review?)
    "People say..." (Which people? How do they know?)
    "It has been claimed that..." (By whom, where, when?)
    "Critics claim..." (Which critics?)
    "Clearly..." (As if the premise is undeniably true)
    "It stands to reason that..." (Again, as if the premise is undeniably true—see "Clearly" above)
    "Questions have been raised..." (Implies a fatal flaw has been discovered)
    "I heard that..." (Who told you? Is the source reliable?)
    "There is evidence that..." (What evidence? Is the source reliable?)
    "Experience shows that..." (Whose experience? What was the experience? How does it demonstrate this?)
    "It has been mentioned that..." (Who are these mentioners? Can they be trusted?)
    "Popular wisdom has it that..." (Is popular wisdom a test of truth?)
    "Commonsense has it/insists that..." (The common sense of whom? Who says so? See "Popular wisdom" above, and "It is known that" below)
    "It is known that..." (By whom and by what method is it known?)
    "Officially known as..." (By whom, where, when—who says so?)
    "It turns out that..." (How does it turn out?¹)
    "It was noted that..." (By whom, why, when?)
    "Nobody else's product is better than ours." (What is the evidence of this?)
    "Studies show..." (what studies?)
    "A recent study at a leading university..." (How recent is your study? At what university?)
    "(The phenomenon) came to be seen as..." (by whom?)
    "Some argue..." (who?)
    "Up to sixty percent..." (so, 59%? 50%? 10%?)
    "More than seventy percent..." (How many more? 70.01%? 80%? 90%?)
    "The vast majority..." (All, more than half—how many?)
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Andy Burnhm has come out on TV to back EdM 'in every single way I can'. 'The story today I read it + couldn't believe..a complete fiction'
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I take survation very seriously.

They are the most innovative pollster out there, and their turn around times are impressive, and why they have a lot of clients.

I know the efforts they put into their polling.

On their Westminster VI polls, they prompt for UKIP, which leads to UKIP being higher/overstated.

But not prompting for UKIP does lead to UKIP being understated in my opinion.

So Survation give the theoretical ceiling of what UKIP can achieve, whereas ICM/Populus probably represent the lowest UKIP can expect.

Which is a very useful tool to have.

I spent an hour on the phone to Damian of Survation on Saturday night, he's very open and honest about what they do.

That gives me a lot of confidence in them.
  • Options
    Anyone watching Daily Politics? Sunny Hundal can barely get a single sentence out without Andrew Neil correcting him.
  • Options
    Well, here we are.

Make no mistake, the crisis is real. The journalists aren’t lying; the Labour MPs protesting that there is nothing to see here, they are the ones not being straight about what’s really going on in the Labour party.

And no, Ed won’t turn it around, because he has demonstrated a singular unwillingness to answer voters’ questions on Labour’s approach to spending or challenge Labour’s vested interests to show voters that he would be a strong and independent prime minister.
    http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2014/11/07/the-two-big-myths-about-labours-leadership-crisis/
  • Options

They are the most innovative pollster out there, and their turn around times are impressive, and why they have a lot of clients.

They sat on the Mirror poll for 6 days! (Field-work ended on Saturday!)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited November 2014
    chestnut said:

Have I read the table correctly? Survation have UKIP 1st nationally among male voters?

Yes - but only half the number of women voters as men. Maybe they have a maternal instinct for Ed and feel he needs looking after - the sympathy vote. Alternatively it may be the male workers who feel most threatened in their jobs from EU and non-EU immigration.

Also note the demise of the BNP - where will their votes go?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

That's not their fault, they get the poll out PDQ, they can't influence if and when their client publishes the poll.
  • Options
    "The only way you could see him stepping aside is if he went on his own accord. My reading us that he’s extraordinarily resilient and will endeavour to hang in there"

I completely agree.

Well, almost. If the big beasts of the cabinet came together and told him to go, on pain of their joint resignation, he'd have to go. But they won't because they wouldn't be able to agree on what would happen next, even if they thought Miliband's removal was essential.

In any case, as Mike also says, the pressure will move on to Cameron later in the month, and as he pointed out in the leader to the last thread, Labour is still ahead in the polls (though the direction of travel must be worrying for Labour supporters).
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I can see why Ed's handlers might have wanted to keep him on a leash up to now but this is the time to let his words go as sunlight into our hearts.
  • Options

That's not their fault, they get the poll out PDQ, they can't influence if and when their client publishes the poll.
    Was it available on the Survation website at the weekend? If not, they're only as good as their client in this instance!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    BTW it was me wot added Survation to list of current Opinion Polls on Wikipedia :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options

I take survation very seriously.

I know the efforts they put into their polling.

On their Westminster VI polls, they prompt for UKIP, which leads to UKIP being higher/overstated.

But not prompting for UKIP does lead to UKIP being understated in my opinion.

So Survation give the theoretical ceiling of what UKIP can achieve, whereas ICM/Populus probably represent the lowest UKIP can expect.

Which is a very useful tool to have.

I spent an hour on the phone to Damian of Survation on Saturday night, he's very open and honest about what they do.

That gives me a lot of confidence in them.
    Thanks. I was wondering more about how seriously they are taken among the politicians themselves rather than the political bloggers/gamblers/commentators, but that's still a very interesting response.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

Ed Miliband looks safe enough to me. Lack of support is insufficient to topple him. Labour would need an active movement for his replacement, complete with a candidate that the party could rally round.

Yes, that's my view entirely.

It's the same problem they had with Brown. It is of course a truth universally acknowledged that Ed is useless, but that is of itself not enough. To dislodge him (or even for him to persuade himself that he should go), a number of other points have to be considered:

1) The disruption of a change so close to the election

2) Such disruption might be manageable if the would-be plotters could agree amongst themselves on a replacement candidate to ensure a rapid transition. That's a big 'if', of course.

3) But there is no replacement candidate who is so obviously superior to Ed that everyone (including those who would have to sacrifice their own ambitions) would stand aside for him or her

4) And, even if all of those difficulties could be overcome, and the big beasts in the Shadow Cabinet, together with the union heavies, could sort it all out amongst themselves, that is still not enough to guarantee a smooth transition - it would only require a few of the nuttier MPs to decide to nominate an alternative candidate for the whole cumbersome mechanics of a full-blown leadership contest to be invoked. If that happened, it is likely that those who'd said they'd stand aside would change their minds and put their hats in the ring. This is not something to be considered with equanimity when's there's an election in six months' time.

5) All this to get Yvette or Andy, neither of who is exactly going to set the world on fire? What's more, the backbiting wouldn't disappear even if they did change leader - there would still be the underlying battles about policy positioning, which are still going on under the surface.

The bottom line is that the risk/reward ratio is massively skewed against anything happening - except of course that the grumbling and disunity will continue.

All of which is very satisfactory, from the Conservatives' point of view.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Burnham coming out in support of Miliband surely ends the matter for good. All Danczuk and the other anonymous dissenters have done is damage Labour's standing and given the papers an easy opportunity to stick the boot in further.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2014
    Survation had Labour winning Heywood by 19 points.
  • Options
    FPT - @Bob Sykes

See my post from 4th November.

"My current thinking: a very plausible scenario IMHO is the Tories drop 5 seats to UKIP and around 18 marginals to Labour, but compensate with making 14 gains from the Lib Dems. That'd leave them with 297 seats (all things else considered)

Labour would likely have made some losses to the SNP so even given the pick ups from the Tories and Lib Dems would not be ahead on seats. Perhaps c.275 seats. The Lib Dems would likely be sub-30 seats, making it impossible to form a stable majority coalition with the Tories (although I wouldn't totally rule it out) and Cameron gets first dibs as the incumbent Prime Minister.

It's for that reason I backed a Conservative minority government on Ladbrokes a month ago at 10/1, which i thought a very good price. I'm starting to think that might actually now happen."

I'm doing a "bottom up" analysis of the seats, as well as top down. This includes:

- Quality of candidate/MP currently in place
    - 1st time incumbency bonus
    - Current constituency betting odds
    - Ashcroft marginal polls (taking into account a +/- 5% error)
    - Views of swing voters on preferred PM/likelihood to switch (also Ashcroft)
    - Local party activity
    - Local election results
    - General UK wide trends (particularly over last 18 months)

I'm also forecasting what vote shares should be on election day. I expect something like Con-35%, Lab-29%, Lib Dem-10%, UKIP-15%, Others-11%

I think the way you're viewing it (that what the opinion polls state today are the shares the main parties may get on election day) isn't representative of what will happen. I think the Conservatives will be much closer to the 35% that Cameron scored in the wake of his successful party conference speech. When the focus is on the candidates for Prime Minister, and voters are thinking about electing the next government, the polls will move.

I make provision for the debates. I make provision for the relative campaigning strengths of the main parties - think the Tories will be pretty tight in the marginals. The Lib Dem "firewall" to be much more variable, depending on which seat it is, than is generally assumed. I make provision for 20% of UKIP voters returning Conservative.

Conversely, I'm not sure they'll be much recovery for Miliband. There may be for Clegg. No candidate for Prime Minister who generates that much doubt in the minds of swing voters will be able to take more than 20 seats directly off the governing party.

You can see my blog for more analysis: http://royaleleseaux.wordpress.com/

I'm going to do a fuller analysis of the Tory defence over the next week.
  • Options

antifrank said:

It's the same problem they had with Brown. It is of course a truth universally acknowledged that Ed is useless, but that is of itself not enough. To dislodge him (or even for him to persuade himself that he should go), a number of other points have to be considered:

2) Such disruption might be manageable if the would-be plotters could agree amongst themselves on a replacement candidate to ensure a rapid transition. That's a big 'if', of course.

3) But there is no replacement candidate who is so obviously superior to Ed that everyone (including those who would have to sacrifice their own ambitions) would stand aside for him or her

4) And, even if all of those difficulties could be overcome, and the big beasts in the Shadow Cabinet, together with the union heavies, could sort it all out amongst themselves, that is still not enough to guarantee a smooth transition - it would only require a few of the nuttier MPs to decide to nominate an alternative candidate for the whole cumbersome mechanics of a full-blown leadership contest to be invoked. If that happened, it is likely that those who'd said they'd stand aside would change their minds and put their hats in the ring. This is not something to be considered with equanimity when's there's an election in six months' time.

5) All this to get Yvette or Andy, neither of who is exactly going to set the world on fire? What's more, the backbiting wouldn't disappear even if they did change leader - there would still be the underlying battles about policy positioning, which are still going on under the surface.

The bottom line is that the risk/reward ratio is massively skewed against anything happening - except of course that the grumbling and disunity will continue.

All fair and good, Richard. But didn't Brown all but redeem himself during the IndyRef Campaign?
  • Options
    Artist said:

Burnham coming out in support of Miliband surely ends the matter for good. All Danczuk and the other anonymous dissenters have done is damage Labour's standing and given the papers an easy opportunity to stick the boot in further.

If you are Burnham when do you want to take over ? Now or June ?
  • Options

FPT.

Correct.

Kier Hardie?
    Strictly speaking, Labour didn't have leaders of the whole party until the 1920s.

Attlee lost two in a row, in 1951 and 1955. He also lost in 1935.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    At some point, Ed Miliband's personal ambition is going to come up against the cruel reality that he is not up to the job.

Now, that can either be brought home to him next May, when the verdict is delivered by the voters. Or it can come after a period of intense reflection - and the acknowledgment that if he waits, he takes the Party down with him. Ed is Labour to his bone marrow - the idea of his personal ambition even possibly preventing the removal of the Coalition will, in my opinion of the guy, lead him to resign, within the next 10 days.
  • Options
    Edinburgh Central CLP nominates Boyack and Dugdale
    East Lothian CLP: Murphy and Dugdale
    Glasgow Kelvin CLP: Findlay and Clark
    Shetland CLP: Murphy and Dugdale
  • Options

At some point, Ed Miliband's personal ambition is going to come up against the cruel reality that he is not up to the job.

Now, that can either be brought home to him next May, when the verdict is delivered by the voters. Or it can come after a period of intense reflection - and the acknowledgment that if he waits, he takes the Party down with him. Ed is Labour to his bone marrow - the idea of his personal ambition even possibly preventing the removal of the Coalition will, in my opinion of the guy, lead him to resign, within the next 10 days.

So, May then...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014
    chestnut said:

Lord Ashcroft had them 19 points ahead too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heywood_and_Middleton_by-election,_2014#Polling

He thought there was a late swing to UKIP.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/10/lord-ashcroft-the-by-election-that-shows-why-polls-are-not-predictions.html
  • Options

antifrank said:

All fair and good, Richard. But didn't Brown all but redeem himself during the IndyRef Campaign?
    I would love love love it if Brown came back!!!

• Options

FPT.

Correct.

Kier Hardie?
    Strictly speaking, Labour didn't have leaders of the whole party until the 1920s.

Attlee lost two in a row, in 1951 and 1955. He also lost in 1935.
    Thought about Attlee, but couldn't remember whether he was still in charge in 1955. All goes to show that historically losing elections has not necessarily been held against Labour leaders (unlike Tory ones). Losing the votes of the party's core supporters is a different matter, however ...
  • Options

chestnut said:

Never underestimate the power of Labour's postal vote - what was it - 80% for the PCC, 66% for H&M?
  • Options

antifrank said:

An excellent summary of the situation. Also, an excellent summary of why Labour didn't replace Brown in 2009 (or perhaps, why David Miliband chose not to force the issue).

One further thought: how much does a Labour leadership election cost?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So, May then...
    Yeah, I reckon May too. Ed is not IMO "Labour to his bone marrow". He is Ed to his bone marrow. If he had been the former, he wouldn't have stood against his brother, knowing as he must have that Dopey David would do a better job. He did it anyway because he is self regarding and self obsessed to the point of lunacy. He didn't get married until he saw personal political advantage in it, FGS. He compliments himself out loud on his intellectual self confidence.

He's not really a complete human being, in the generally understood sense.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If you are Burnham when do you want to take over ? Now or June ?

Burnham didn't topple Brown, and got crushed in the subsequent election.

Why wait out Ed only to lose to Rachel Reeves...? (Len is still not going to back him)
  • Options
    JackCade said:

chestnut said:

Never underestimate the power of Labour's postal vote - what was it - 80% for the PCC, 66% for H&M?
    But Labour nearly lost in Heywood - UKIP were only 617 votes short!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "If you are Burnham when do you want to take over ? Now or June ? "

Depends on whether you think Miliband will just lose, or will wreck the car.

If Miliband loses but gets 285 seats, then you want to take over the driver's seat in June, and hit the gas pedal.

However, if Miliband is gonna lose Scotland and go backward in England & Wales, you need to get him out of the car now.

That there is something going on suggests that some people thank there is a danger of Ed trashing the car.

Because only a danger as great as that warrants raising the leadership issue so close to the election.

• Options
    dr_spyn said:
    He cannot be polished, but one can roll him in glitter.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Casino_R - thanks very much for that post, and for the links to your blog postings which I have skimmed and will come back to when I have more time. I can see some cause for optimism, for sure. I have a feeling that there are droves of Tory 2010 wins that haven't a hope in hell of staying Tory, but if Labour collapse they might well do - and even if my local seats like Bury N, Pendle, Rossendale and others in the north return safely to the Labour fold, as I am 100% certain they will, there might not be as many of these seats as I think there are....
  • Options
    OK, so Kinnock joins the illustrious company of Hardie, Attlee and Wilson.
  • Options
    Burnham.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-11-07/burnham-ed-miliband-has-pulled-people-together/

"We're getting on with the job, we are a united team, united behind Ed, and we're working behind this Labour government".

Problem for Burnham is party isn't in government, a united team doesn't leak stories to the press, getting on with the job - sounds like Brown, and is the job knifing Ed in the back?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

chestnut said:

JackCade said:

chestnut said:

Yes, it pays to be organised.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

Casino_R - thanks very much for that post, and for the links to your blog postings which I have skimmed and will come back to when I have more time. I can see some cause for optimism, for sure. I have a feeling that there are droves of Tory 2010 wins that haven't a hope in hell of staying Tory, but if Labour collapse they might well do - and even if my local seats like Bury N, Pendle, Rossendale and others in the north return safely to the Labour fold, as I am 100% certain they will, there might not be as many of these seats as I think there are....

I've backed Labour in Bury North. Just "sounds" like it should be Labour :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

chestnut said:

He thought there was a late swing to UKIP.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/10/lord-ashcroft-the-by-election-that-shows-why-polls-are-not-predictions.html
    But no shy kippers
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Wilson didn't lose two successive elections, did he? Won in 64, 66, lost in 70, won in Feb 74 and again Oct 74
  • Options
    @ZoraSuleman: EU ministers agreed to extend a deadline for Britain to pay 2.1-billion-euro bill until Sept 2015, after David Cameron refused to pay by Dec
  • Options

Thanks. No one really 'knows' what will happen, so I'm not sure one could be 100% certain of anything. I don't know what probability I'd put on mine, but I think a Tory lead on seats is around a 65% chance to me, given what we know.

Bury North and Pendle may be some of the Tories weaker marginals but there'll be a hard fight to retain them.
  • Options
    UKIP (@UKIP)
    07/11/2014 12:48
    Stuart Wheeler is to seek a High Court injunction against any decision by the House of Commons on Monday to opt Britain back into the EAW

UKIP (@UKIP)
    07/11/2014 12:53
    A QC representing Mr Wheeler will argue that opting UK back into the EAW without a referendum is a clear breach of the “referendum lock”
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Off topic, for the lunchtime crowd, here's my piece from this morning looking at how all the various constituency markets fit together and their implications for the overall general election result:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-constituency-markets-today-putting.html

A very comprehensive and impressive piece of work antifrank and an excellent betting reference guide for punters such as myself I would suggest. It's remarkable how you find the time and enthusiasm to collate all this information in so much detail and in such an orderly fashion.
    Taken together well worthy of the 2014 POTY award in my view, no doubt about it.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

You seem to be betting all the time. Where do you get all this money from?

PS. On that logic you would have lost in GE2010!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    JohnO said:

Wilson didn't lose two successive elections, did he? Won in 64, 66, lost in 70, won in Feb 74 and again Oct 74
    You're right - I blame TSE!
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/460753/#Comment_460753

OK, so Kinnock joins the illustrious company of Hardie and Attlee.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Only if you agree with those who think that Cameron lost in 2010 (which I don't).

Wilson did, however, lose an election and then go on to fight another one, which is a relevant point in terms of how the party treats (treated?) leaders who lose.
  • Options
  • Options
    BBC Look North ‏@BBCLookNorth 8m8 minutes ago
    On @LookNorth at 1330, we're in Doncaster asking Ed Miliband's constituents whether they're backing him to continue as Labour Party leader.

Could be a long, long search, will they be using helicopters and sniffer dogs to seek out the missing?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Winnings? Pulpstar is a very smart cookie!
  • Options
    @DavidGauke: .@EstherMcVeyMP seems to be very well regarded by Labour people #EM4PM #OnlyExplanation
  • Options
    I expect he will survive but EMWNBPM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

Not winnings... yet... but I'm trying to keep a green book and get value on all sides for GE2015.

Closed bets are in profit though, yes.

Are you coming to Dirty Dicks ?

Wouldn't mind an experienced punter checking my GE book...
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

But Attlee and Wilson were both PM, they didn't have 100% loser records like Kinnock
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Did he not lose the popular vote in two elections in a row?

1970 and Feb 1974.

Ps emailed you
  • Options

They can if Burnham and Cooper agree to back Harman as a stopgap leader for the general election. Then they simply need to persuade Ed to resign and the NEC not to call a leadership election during the general election campaign.

The problem then is that Harman would probably be worse than Miliband.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    Scott_P said:

As David Miliband found out to his cost.

But for this story to continue we would need some shadow cabinet resignations. And pretty much everyone is ruling that out in ways that would be awkward. So Ed staggers on. This is a party that has forgotten how to win.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Did he not lose the popular vote in two elections in a row?

1970 and Feb 1974.

Ps emailed you
    Seats, dear boy, seats and being PM that's what decides who wins or loses!

Yep, e-mail safely received and I'll get back to you once Jolly Green Neil stirs himself!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure he is. My disposable income available for betting each month is rather limited.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not winnings... yet... but I'm trying to keep a green book and get value on all sides for GE2015.

Maybe next time - unfortunately there are a couple of PBers with whom I'd decidedly prefer not to meet again!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    In Scotland by the way it looks as if Murphy will have the majority of the party members but that Findlay will have almost a clean sweep of the Union section which will push him over the top despite the views of the members. Has something very similar not happened before? With sub-optimal results?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

If you're still betting on a Labour majority you're wasting your money IMHO. I've gone very red on Lab Maj, and am very comfortable with that.

I can understand the 'all-green' approach though. It's more comfortable if you're not personally 100% sure. It depends on the punter and the risk appetite.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe next time - unfortunately there are a couple of PBers with whom I'd decidedly prefer not to meet again!
    Oh? That sounds an interesting story.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    isam said:
    Given how hard the Tories are fighting this it will be devastating if they lose: video productions, hundreds of MPs going there, big billboard buys, several visits from the PM
  • Options

JohnO said:

Only if you agree with those who think that Cameron lost in 2010 (which I don't).

Wilson did, however, lose an election and then go on to fight another one, which is a relevant point in terms of how the party treats (treated?) leaders who lose.
    Yes, indeed, and there was never any doubt that Wilson would continue as Leader after the 1970 defeat, and no serious attempt was ever made to dislodge him in that Parliament either, despite a number of indifferent by-election results and the crisis over the EEC which saw Roy Jenkins and others resign from the Shadow Cabinet.

Ditto for Heath in 1966 but of course that was an election that no one expected the Tories to win and he'd only been leader for a year. Of course he would have been toast had 1970 been another loss (cue Anthony Wells's magificent counter-factual).
  • Options
    The Twitter #EM4PM campaign to save Ed is going well then.

The net is littered with photos of Ewan McGregor - Eric Morecombe – Ed Murphy - Eddie Mair – Esther McVey etc etc, for 4 PM
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

As David Miliband found out to his cost.

But for this story to continue we would need some shadow cabinet resignations. And pretty much everyone is ruling that out in ways that would be awkward. So Ed staggers on. This is a party that has forgotten how to win.
    David Miliband's mistake was not failing to strike, it was dithering. If he had backed Brown immediately and unambiguously when Purnell resigned, he would have swept up the party loyalist vote. As with Portillo in 1995, dithering made them look both disloyal and timid: the worst of all worlds.

For what it's worth, I still think that DM was right not to resign - the Brownites would never have forgiven him and he could very easily have become the 2009 equivalent of Heseltine in 1990: a heavyweight stalking horse for a 'clean' alternative leader (Darling?) for the party to unite behind, while Brownites concocted half-truths about Brown 'never having lost an election'.
  • Options

antifrank said:

A very comprehensive and impressive piece of work antifrank and an excellent betting reference guide for punters such as myself I would suggest. It's remarkable how you find the time and enthusiasm to collate all this information in so much detail and in such an orderly fashion.
    Taken together well worthy of the 2014 POTY award in my view, no doubt about it.
    Agree with that, but note that my warm feelings towards antifrank's posts might be due to the fact that I agree almost completely with his conclusions...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:

isam said:
    Given how hard the Tories are fighting this it will be devastating if they lose: video productions, hundreds of MPs going there, big billboard buys, several visits from the PM
    Devastating? Not so sure. Given the polling and the odds, I think this is an expensive damage-limitation exercise.

It also signals to MPs thinking of defecting that they'd better be damn sure that their local support is rock-solid.

Of course, putting in all this effort and then getting sunk by 20 points would indeed be devastating!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2014
    I have said repeatedly on here and elsewhere for many years that both Miliband brothers' talents were massively over-estimated. They represent Primrose Hill dynastic Labour at its very worst. They ooze hypocricy from the very pores of their inherited wealth while condemming Cameron as too posh. To my knowledge neither of them has ever had a proper job and what's worse neither of them have ever done a decent job since entering politics. Having got that off my chest I hope Ed stays as leader of the Labour party because he represents the essence of why they should never be in government.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

antifrank said:

Really?

Quoting Austen?

At a time like this?

Sheesh!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scott_P said:

It's hilarious to see more Blairites make the same mistake David Miliband did before them. Because that worked out so wonderfully for his political career, didn't it?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:
    Better to win in May than November..
This discussion has been closed.