Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big news from Westminster is that there are LAB calls for E

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IanDunt: .@Markfergusonuk wins the prize for funniest political graph of week http://t.co/9b86gODAkj

WINNING HERE !!
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Ah well, we Labour voters had taken pride in the lack of splits and infighting following the election defeat in 2010 given Labour's dismal history of them.

Instead the factionalism has burst out 7 months from the General Election! Way to go!

Although this was looking increasingly inevitable after that abysmal conference speech and the general feeling of drift that has ensued - reflected in the polls.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,073
    Anorak said:

My god, this is a toe-curlingly bad performance from EdM. Repeating the same slogans to four questions within a minute. He comes across as an utter weirdo (again). In times gone by I suspect the BBC would have cut this to show just one of the answer, but now, with blood in the water...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29935172

There is even a bit of a snigger when he repeats himself again. Presumably that was his sound bite and he did not anticipate being repeated like that.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    edited November 2014
    Tick box from Ed.

NHS whirl, click, whirl, getting on with the job, click, splutter, whirl, focus on the country click, click, click..

Sinking like SS Costa Living-Crisis.

Must be exciting being a bus spotter.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

Sussex police are investigating whether a crime has been committed with the burning of an Alex Salmond effigy in Lewes.

For ####'s sake.
    Those Nats are sore losers.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    It's quite incredible how much time the police still seem to have to investigate Saville, given he can't be punished for his crimes, and the publicity that their investigations get given, when so little is being said about Rotherham et al.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: "Nonsense, this is honestly. Arise this matter does not." A robot, earlier. http://t.co/tPJDWV6T1F
  • Options
    A big shout out to Lucy Powell.

First day in the job, gets her man onto all the major news networks (and probably front pages)

Awesome job.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AndyJS said:

Sussex police are investigating whether a crime has been committed with the burning of an Alex Salmond effigy in Lewes.

Nats under the impression that we have the same laws in England as Rep of Scotland - shows how out of touch they are.
  • Options
    Hmm...

Betfair

Labour most seats, last price matched: 1.87
    Next Prime Minister, Ed Miliband, last price matched: 2.60
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

It's quite incredible how much time the police still seem to have to investigate Saville, given he can't be punished for his crimes, and the publicity that their investigations get given, when so little is being said about Rotherham et al.

What we have in this country today, then, is both anarchy (the failure of the state to enforce the laws) and, at the same time, tyranny – the enforcement of laws by the state for oppressive purposes; the criminalization of the law-abiding and innocent through exorbitant taxation, bureaucratic regulation, the invasion of privacy, and the engineering of social institutions, such as the family and local schools; the imposition of thought control through "sensitivity training" and multiculturalist curricula, "hate crime" laws, gun-control laws that punish or disarm otherwise law-abiding citizens but have no impact on violent criminals who get guns illegally, and a vast labyrinth of other measures. In a word, anarcho-tyranny.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

Anorak said:

My god, this is a toe-curlingly bad performance from EdM. Repeating the same slogans to four questions within a minute. He comes across as an utter weirdo (again). In times gone by I suspect the BBC would have cut this to show just one of the answer, but now, with blood in the water...

There is even a bit of a snigger when he repeats himself again. Presumably that was his sound bite and he did not anticipate being repeated like that.
    His handlers (keepers?) clearly gave him a spin-line but having the same question repeated to him meant he was hopelessly lost, and ended up like sounding like a stuck CD.

It's not like it's never happened before. Let's remind ourselves of this masterpiece of statesmanship from 2011:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTggc0uBA8
  • Options
    @BenM you still ignoring me? I thought you'd want to answer my question. You seemed to have all the immigration questions answered earlier when you were waving the CREAM report around as though it were a respectable sized schlong you'd just had transplanted on.
  • Options

Pong said:

Who do the tories most fear as Ed's replacement?

Vince Cable?
    Or 'a pretty straight kind of guy'? The Middle East peace gig has bombed, so Tony must have time on his hands.
    Not a bad shout actually. As much as everyone hates him, he'd win the election easily.
  • Options

A good meme for the Tories to push now is that Ed Miliband is only staying in his job because that is who the unions want there. Not the MPs. Not the members. Just the union paymasters. And it shows how Ed as a Labour Prime Minister would be owned by the unions.

It may be toss, but it will be toss that resonates.

Then if Ed does go, Cameron can say "Unite pulled the rug out from under him...even they had had enough." But they can continue to run the line through to May if he stays.

The words to put a chill down Ed's spine:

"Ed - I've got Len on the line for you...."

Great post MM.
    Btw, changing the subject somewhat, with 0 wins from the last 10 games do you think Stuart Pearce has lost the Forest dressing room?

• Options
    @JohnRentoul: "I don't accept that this matter arises." Those are the words EdM used, having thought about Qs about his leadership & prepared his answer.

Who couldn't rally behind that..?
  • Options
    @johndavidblake: The Labour Party Historical Battle Re-enactment Society invites you to a special recreation of 2008-2010. Sadly, not family friendly.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

A good meme for the Tories to push now is that Ed Miliband is only staying in his job because that is who the unions want there. Not the MPs. Not the members. Just the union paymasters. And it shows how Ed as a Labour Prime Minister would be owned by the unions.

Then if Ed does go, Cameron can say "Unite pulled the rug out from under him...even they had had enough." But they can continue to run the line through to May if he stays.

Great post MM.
    Btw, changing the subject somewhat, with 0 wins from the last 10 games do you think Stuart Pearce has lost the Forest dressing room?

I certainly hope so. Disclosure: I'm sitting in an office in Derby....
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.
    It's not the nationalists - I expect them to be idiots. It's the Sussex police. They better hope no cases of uninvestigated child sex exploitation have happened on their patch while they piss about with this nonsense.
  • Options
    For those who think Jacob Rees-Mogg will defect to UKIP......

Walking side by side down a suburban Rochester street, campaign leaflets in hand and blue rosettes on their chests, Jacob Rees-Mogg and his young son Peter make for an idyllic picture of English politics.

Like his father, and his father before him, seven-year-old Peter is already a staunch Conservative, with his views on Ukip fully formed. "I think they're absolutely nuts," he says, to the delight of the elder Rees-Mogg.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11213086/Rochester-and-Strood-by-election-Conservative-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-and-son-take-the-fight-to-Ukip.html
  • Options
    matt said:

Great post MM.

I certainly hope so. Disclosure: I'm sitting in an office in Derby....
    You're a very fortunate chap Matt!
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

What we have in this country today, then, is both anarchy (the failure of the state to enforce the laws) and, at the same time, tyranny – the enforcement of laws by the state for oppressive purposes; the criminalization of the law-abiding and innocent through exorbitant taxation, bureaucratic regulation, the invasion of privacy, and the engineering of social institutions, such as the family and local schools; the imposition of thought control through "sensitivity training" and multiculturalist curricula, "hate crime" laws, gun-control laws that punish or disarm otherwise law-abiding citizens but have no impact on violent criminals who get guns illegally, and a vast labyrinth of other measures. In a word, anarcho-tyranny.
    anarcho-tyranny

Is that one word or two? Or not a word?
  • Options

Oh, also someone should remind the police that Saville can't reoffend; the rape-gangs are probably still at it.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    My question behind all of this is are the complaining MPs scared of losing or scared of winning? I still struggle to see Labour losing which makes the latter concern more interesting.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

His handlers (keepers?) clearly gave him a spin-line but having the same question repeated to him meant he was hopelessly lost, and ended up like sounding like a stuck CD.

It's not like it's never happened before. Let's remind ourselves of this masterpiece of statesmanship from 2011:
    As a child I had an Action Man toy that repeated the same lines over and over again, until you swapped the plastic record in his back pack for another one.

Is there a 'Made by Palitoy' logo on Ed's back?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

FalseFlag said:

anarcho-tyranny

Is that one word or two? Or not a word?
    Does it matter?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Stewart Lee steps into the UKIP comedian debate:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/nov/05/stewart-lee-the-imaginary-liberal-comedy-cabal-will-crush-the-ukips-into-dust

He's surprisingly funny on this occasion.

I really want to like him, and think his delivery/style is good, but find his dialogue really boring after a while, and then realise I haven't laughed once

The Watcher is the funniest PBer IMO, should be a kipper.. second is undoubtedly "The Corniche Camel"...
    Tissue Price's comment earlier about both UKIP and a Ghostbusters party campaigning on a "Something strange in your neighbourhood?" platform made me burst out laughing in the office.
    Who you gonna call?

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2800/8f034/products/515/images/681/IMG_1537__79372.1409616764.1280.1280.JPG?c=2
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Hmm...

Betfair

Well if you think Ed will stay you have to lay the former/back the latter don't you?
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what coverage the BBC TV News gives to this story about Ed Miliband ..... I suspect very little or probably none at all, although it's currently one of the top stories on their news website.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Hmm...

Betfair

Well if you think Ed will stay you have to lay the former/back the latter don't you?
    One thing's for sure, the disparity can't last indefinitely unless Ed Miliband really is going to be given the heave-ho. I've backed Next Prime Minister Ed Miliband (I had already laid Labour most seats at a rather shorter price).
  • Options
    Ooh, just noticed the EU budget payment market back up..

No payment 11/10
    Part payment 10/11

Hope people got on the initial 5/1 for part payment that some clever chap spotted?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,112
    TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

Nats under the impression that we have the same laws in England as Rep of Scotland - shows how out of touch they are.
    Not an accurate inference at all.

• Options

No payment 11/10
    Part payment 10/11

Hope people got on the initial 5/1 for part payment that some clever chap spotted?

That was a good bet
  • Options
    isam said:

No payment 11/10
    Part payment 10/11

That was a good bet
    Just rechecked and think it was 4/1 at first, but still cracking value
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Carnyx said:

First chunk of the Panelbase poll commissioned by Wings: pretty much confirms past reports of VI on Westminster, and opinion re indyref (though more SLAB and Tory friendly than some).

http://wingsoverscotland.com/labours-twilight/

More to come later: I'm particularly interested in seeing the opinions re SLAB leaders.

Con 15% is way, way more believable than Con: 10%.
    Quite so - exactly my feeling.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    On topic.
    Oh no what a disaster for the tories. if Ed must go please let him be replaced by somebody Scottish. But no one of the relative youth of Cooper and Burnham will allow the other to stand upopposed. And really - Mrs Balls as PM with hubby Chancellor or some other high post? or at least with his opinions whispering in her ear?? Is that the way to run a government?? Is that the sort of leadership that anyone would vote for.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,301
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    matt said:

My question behind all of this is are the complaining MPs scared of losing or scared of winning? I still struggle to see Labour losing which makes the latter concern more interesting.

They are suddenly scared of losing 30 seats in Scotland. Or rather 40 Scottish MPs are. Not sure changing leaders will alter that unless they can come up with a Scottish one. Then they are stuffed in England.
    It just shows that a lot of labour backbenchers are as dumb as a lot of tory ones.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014

Walking side by side down a suburban Rochester street, campaign leaflets in hand and blue rosettes on their chests, Jacob Rees-Mogg and his young son Peter make for an idyllic picture of English politics.

Like his father, and his father before him, seven-year-old Peter is already a staunch Conservative, with his views on Ukip fully formed. "I think they're absolutely nuts," he says, to the delight of the elder Rees-Mogg.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11213086/Rochester-and-Strood-by-election-Conservative-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-and-son-take-the-fight-to-Ukip.html

That the Telegraph is resorting to such nauseous 'beauty pageant' style propaganda demonstrates how desperate the Tory cause in Rochester is becoming. Personally I think any future defectors are more likely to be among these:

Tories resort to name and shame as 100 MPs refuse to fight Ukip
    More than 100 Tory MPs have yet to visit Rochester and Strood, despite Cameron's order for three visits

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11211995/Tories-resort-to-name-and-shame-as-100-MPs-refuse-to-fight-Ukip.html

Pity they didn't publish the list..........
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,657

Anorak said:

DavidL said:

Anorak said:

As a child I had an Action Man toy that repeated the same lines over and over again, until you swapped the plastic record in his back pack for another one.

Is there a 'Made by Palitoy' logo on Ed's back?
    You get the impression he's more of a Not-very-palitoy....
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,067

On topic.
    Oh no what a disaster for the tories. if Ed must go please let him be replaced by somebody Scottish. But no one of the relative youth of Cooper and Burnham will allow the other to stand upopposed. And really - Mrs Balls as PM with hubby Chancellor or some other high post? or at least with his opinions whispering in her ear?? Is that the way to run a government?? Is that the sort of leadership that anyone would vote for.

I thought Jim Murphy was the man the tories fear most?
  • Options
    Two wildcard choices for the Labour leadership

Liz Kendall

Luciana Berger

Very inexperienced but potential election winners
  • Options

That is a great video... love the guy if completely opposite to me on Europe
  • Options
    BenM said:

Ah well, we Labour voters had taken pride in the lack of splits and infighting following the election defeat in 2010 given Labour's dismal history of them.

Instead the factionalism has burst out 7 months from the General Election! Way to go!

Although this was looking increasingly inevitable after that abysmal conference speech and the general feeling of drift that has ensued - reflected in the polls.

Wishful thinking, Benjamin M.

It's only six months to the election
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

What's your view on this as a normally sane Natter - "jolly good fun" or "I am aboard the offended bus - beep beep " ?

• Options

Great post MM.

I think Psycho just was strangely unfortunate to have too much success straight away. The odd draw and a loss wouldn't have put them in the glare of the top of the table spotlight, which probably was just not what was needed.

Thanks for the kind words too.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    RobD said:
    As the person who first gave the news to PB re Ed and the attempt to unseat him (previous thread about 13:10 hrs) I can state that the feeling against Miliband is now intense and not just about 2 back benchers - one of whom incidently was named on the one o'clock news.

The Labour List piece is rubbish. I expect that Eddy will not be on the scene for much longer, but what an early Xmas present to the other parties.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Time for the men in grey suits to pop round? While on another side of town Alan Johnson finds he has to get his teeth seen to.
    That in itself is a sign of the times. In Labour's good old days it would have been men in boiler suits....

• Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.
    It's not the nationalists - I expect them to be idiots. It's the Sussex police. They better hope no cases of uninvestigated child sex exploitation have happened on their patch while they piss about with this nonsense.
    Strange that they are only concerned about 1 particular effigy being burned when there were several others also paraded and burned including two of Putin.

This was a whole society dedicated to burning one particular political figure in effigy - The National Association of Ted Heath Burners. I don't remember the police ever getting involved in that and, to his credit, I don't remember Heath ever making any comment on it either.
  • Options
    As a pessimistic Tory, I would like to know what the Labour MPs know that makes them so jittery. As far as I can see (mainly from reading pb), Ed is strolling to an easy victory in the election.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014

matt said:

They are suddenly scared of losing 30 seats in Scotland. Or rather 40 Scottish MPs are. Not sure changing leaders will alter that unless they can come up with a Scottish one. Then they are stuffed in England.
    It just shows that a lot of labour backbenchers are as dumb as a lot of tory ones.
    If the Tories were suddenly faced with near wipe out in Kent, Sussex and Essex from UKIP (not a dissimillar number of seats to Scotland) how long do you think it would be before the Tory backbenchers had sent 46 letters to the 1922 committee?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.
    Oh calm down - they have answered the phone to some nutter and have parked it to be quietly shut down in a day or two - I can't imagine there is a phalanx of coppers combing the fields for evidence.

• Options

As a pessimistic Tory, I would like to know what the Labour MPs know that makes them so jittery. As far as I can see (mainly from reading pb), Ed is strolling to an easy victory in the election.

They speak to people on the doorstep. They know Ed is electoral kryptonite. They didn't vote for him. Why would their constituents?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.
    Oh calm down - they have answered the phone to some nutter and have parked it to be quietly shut down in a day or two - I can't imagine there is a phalanx of coppers combing the fields for evidence.

The only release the police should have made is one saying "Free speech is not a crime and we will not be taking this matter further."
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,537

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    PBModerator said:

Site Notice

1) The term herd or nits is not acceptable on here

2) Ninoinoz - You've been told the topics off limits to you - Please adhere to that

3) MalcolmG - You've been warned about swearing at other posters, you know the consequences of if you don't adhere to that

4) Socrates - Appropriate action has been taken against Hugh

Moderation is going to be light today, anyone who can't post here unsupervised will be smote by the ban hammer on our return.

Who did I swear at , queer world you live in if "To**er" is swearing. Time you got out and about a bit more.

Any chance you can publish your Etiquette list so that one may know when one is in fact unwittingly swearing. I seem to live in a less sheltered world than PB.

Stop whinging Turnip.

Presumably you were one of the big jessies crying like a wee bairn, when the 'nasty' firework people tried to burn an effigy of Eck yesterday.
    Back under your rock you half witted cretinous bag of vomit
    With sweet talk like that, you must have been a big hitter with the Glasgow ladies back in the day.

Is that the line that won over Mrs G? (After you'd clubbed her)
    You absolute Pillock I have never been associated or lived near Glasgow in my life. Thick as pig s*** little Englander
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited November 2014
    Anorak said:

Do you know what? I can't even watch that all the way through. He is just so unbelievably bad, like a drunk rabbit caught in headlights. How the hell did Labour go from Blair who was one of the smoothest operators going to this via Gordon Brown.

It's like ditching a supermodel to go out with the Krankies one after another.

Labour have got to get rid of him there's no doubt about it.
  • Options
    Red or Green kryptonite?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

As far as I can see (mainly from reading pb), Ed is strolling to an easy victory in the election.

in Doncaster, maybe...

• Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They didn't burn it.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/boom-lewes-did-blow-up-an-alex-salmond-effigy-1.668480
    They're still investigating, according to Sky News.
    I think in Perth, they once burnt Orville the Duck. – Where was the outrage then..?
    They should have got a medal
  • Options

Luciana Berger

Har har har.

• Options
    Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.
    The racists should be hunted down and incarcerated for a very long time.
  • Options

BenM said:

Wishful thinking, Benjamin M.

It's only six months to the election
    Its even less to the Autumn Statement and the Spring Budget.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2014

Polls putting the party on 29/30%.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They didn't burn it.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/boom-lewes-did-blow-up-an-alex-salmond-effigy-1.668480
    I think in Perth, they once burnt Orville the Duck. – Where was the outrage then..?
    If Keith Harris had still been attached to Orville’s arse – they probably would have.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

For ####'s sake.

The only release the police should have made is one saying "Free speech is not a crime and we will not be taking this matter further."
    I thought that PCCs were supposed to stop this nonsense?

The next time the police say they're 'too busy' to investigate, or complain of a 'lack of resources', I shall cite this. Last time my car was broken into they couldn't be arsed to investigate but did offer me a counselling service. It's a cliche, but I said the only service I wanted is for them to solve the bloody crime.

Sadly, much of the police is now a lazy unionised extension of the self-important public sector state, staffed by incompetent and lazy busy-bodies who delight in telling people (particularly "safe" middle-class people) what to do and how to behave. The sort who might have ignored or sneered at them at school. In fact, I wonder if many in the Police have joined for that purpose alone.

There are a few good-egg solid coppers still around, but pitifully few.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    PBModerator said:

Site Notice

2) Ninoinoz - You've been told the topics off limits to you - Please adhere to that

3) MalcolmG - You've been warned about swearing at other posters, you know the consequences of if you don't adhere to that

Moderation is going to be light today, anyone who can't post here unsupervised will be smote by the ban hammer on our return.

Who did I swear at , queer world you live in if "To**er" is swearing. Time you got out and about a bit more.

Any chance you can publish your Etiquette list so that one may know when one is in fact unwittingly swearing. I seem to live in a less sheltered world than PB.

Stop whinging Turnip.

Presumably you were one of the big jessies crying like a wee bairn, when the 'nasty' firework people tried to burn an effigy of Eck yesterday.
    With sweet talk like that, you must have been a big hitter with the Glasgow ladies back in the day.

You absolute Pillock I have never been associated or lived near Glasgow in my life. Thick as pig s*** little Englander
    I can picture the scene Malky. 10 pints of Heavy, and then a quick knee trembler in the car park at the Cat Stranglers Arms. You old smoothie.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    PBModerator said:

Site Notice

Stop whinging Turnip.

Now, now, Mr. G., remember what the nice moderator told you this morning, any bad language while he was out and you would be sent to the naughty-step when he comes home, and you don't want that do you. So play nicely.
  • Options
    Accidental discharge of weapon by plodsters in Notts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29943441

Hits a child aged 7.
  • Options

On topic.

I thought Jim Murphy was the man the tories fear most?
    I'm not sure why they would. Unfortunately he has resigned from the Shadow Cabinet to run for Scottish leader. I do not see how any success would help Labour, he would be part of this infernal Westminster Bubble and not even have a seat in the Scottish Parliament.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They didn't burn it.

If Keith Harris had still been attached to Orville’s arse – they probably would have.
    LOL, it would have been a VC
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Hah. Excitable PB Tories on the march again.
    A couple of propaganda pieces in the right wing press and suddenly Labour have lost 290 Scottish seats, Ed has already stepped down to make way for a resurrected Jimmy Savile and the Tory party are roaring towards a thousand year reich on 31% of the vote.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:

What's your view on this as a normally sane Natter - "jolly good fun" or "I am aboard the offended bus - beep beep " ?

Neither, in general. Difficult to know what to make of the intent of a group, or group of groups, which burns things like an effigy of Angela Merkel giving a NSDAP salute (last year). And confused by the reporting (and still wondering what Mary Queen of Scots, not after all immolated at Carlisle, has to do with anything). But, ultimately, it's for all I know just to epater les bourgeois, like the St Andrews students who burnt Mr Obama in effigy not long ago, so hardly worth worrying too much about it.

Re the polis, haven't bothered to follow it to know what it is about (don't know enough about the legal issues if any to make a sensible comment).

• Options
    Harry Kane 6/1 FGS 13/8 Anytime for the Spurs is a good bet IMO
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    edited November 2014
    Panelbase changes from last month
    SNP 45% (+11)
    Lab 28% (-4)
    Con 15% (-3)
    UKIP 7% (+1)
    LD 3% (-2)

That much of a change in one month?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    PBModerator said:

Site Notice

Stop whinging Turnip.

I can picture the scene Malky. 10 pints of Heavy, and then a quick knee trembler in the car park at the Cat Stranglers Arms. You old smoothie.
    A degenerate pervert as well as a pillock. Get some help.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2014

Anorak said:

Do you know what? I can't even watch that all the way through. He is just so unbelievably bad, like a drunk rabbit caught in headlights. How the hell did Labour go from Blair who was one of the smoothest operators going to this via Gordon Brown.
    If Labour did replace EdM with a reasonably credible Leader and then see a honeymoon surge to >40% VI support, it could then destabilise the Conservatives and Lib Dems into mounting their own Leadership crisis. Replace EdM and take all three out?
  • Options
    @TeleComment: LEAKED: Top secret briefing to Conservative MPs on Ed Miliband http://t.co/GsFitL76Jr
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    JWisemann said:

Hah. Excitable PB Tories on the march again.
    A couple of propaganda pieces in the right wing press and suddenly Labour have lost 290 Scottish seats, Ed has already stepped down to make way for a resurrected Jimmy Savile and the Tory party are roaring towards a thousand year reich on 31% of the vote.

Right wing press = New Statesman which set the ball rolling, grauniad and those tory dinosaurs on the bbc.

Absolutely open season on ed on PM on radio 4 btw, with Peter Kellner to help things along.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Polls putting the party on 29/30%.
    (what the Labour MPs know that makes them so jittery)
    With the expectation of new falls by GE day.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    dr_spyn said:

Hits a child aged 7.

Thank God the child was not seriously hurt. When I was in the army there was no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. All such incidents, absent a demonstrable fault with the weapon, were held to be down to negligence and the offenders were always punished by a minimum of 28 days detention. I wonder what punishment the copper in this case will receive.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Hits a child aged 7.

An absolute miracle that the child sustained only minor injuries.
  • Options
    'Right wing press = New Statesman which set the ball rolling, grauniad and those tory dinosaurs on the bbc. '
    That'll be the Blairite New Statesman, Lib-Dem enthusiast Guardian, and ex-young-conservative fronted BBC?
    I'd say all of the above have right wing political departments these days, to a lesser or greater degree. The Guardian does at least have balanced opinion pieces, but an unabashedly Blairite editorial line and Political Editor.
  • Options

Anorak said:

If Labour did replace EdM with a reasonably credible Leader and then see a honeymoon surge to >40% VI support, it could then destabilise the Conservatives and Lib Dems into mounting their own Leadership crisis. Replace EdM and take all three out?
    I don't think they'll get to 40%, but with a candidate who is anywhere near being half decent they'll walk the next election. They only need about 33%.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    So dozens of backbenchers actively conspiring against you and two actually joining a rival party = doing brilliant.
    But two anonymous Blairites talking to a Blairite magazine = catastrophe?
    Only in right wing media bubble land.
  • Options
    2 years ago the Labour party were 10 to 15 points ahead in the polls and on course to win a sizeable majority. Now they are facing near wipe out in Scotland, UKIP are knocking on the door in many of their northern heartlands and have put many southern marginals way beyond their reach by replacing them and they are now neck and neck with a Tory party that are polling at 2001 levels in the polls. They can no longer be sure of even being the largest party. Its not surprising the natives are restless
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TeleComment: LEAKED: Top secret briefing to Conservative MPs on Ed Miliband http://t.co/GsFitL76Jr

Spoof innit.
  • Options
    Well, the main story in the Guardian right now is the anonymous call for Ed Miliband to resign:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/06/ed-miliband-faces-labour-leadership-crisis
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Well, the main story in the Guardian right now is the anonymous call for Ed Miliband to resign:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/06/ed-miliband-faces-labour-leadership-crisis

Tory rag...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Hits a child aged 7.

Thank God the child was not seriously hurt. When I was in the army there was no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. All such incidents, absent a demonstrable fault with the weapon, were held to be down to negligence and the offenders were always punished by a minimum of 28 days detention. I wonder what punishment the copper in this case will receive.
    Talks on under-aged drinking laws to bored sixth formers?

• Options
    Zoe Williams of The Guardian absolutely horrendous on the Daily Politics today re Political Correctness. Her character assassination of Michael Heseltine while he wasn't there to defend himself was quite disgraceful
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

For a moment I thought the minder standing behind Ed Miliband in that picture was William Hague!
  • Options

antifrank said:

For a moment I thought the minder standing behind Ed Miliband in that picture was William Hague!
    Silly mistake to make. Ed Miliband is obviously preparing for sumo, not judo.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Hits a child aged 7.

Plods gun skills leave a lot to be desired. Witness the BTP's finest on the concourse at Charing Cross, guns swinging and barrels pointing at passengers, rather than towards the ground. Very poor training.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

antifrank said:

Tory rag...
    Patrick Wintour might as well be.
  • Options
    Yeah, but has that been Baxtered.
  • Options
    The Blairite ultras are even more terrified of a (still likely) Miliband victory than the Tories are.
  • Options
    @CCHQPress: .@LBC asking listeners whether to back or sack @Ed_Miliband - overwhelming verdict of callers is get rid
This discussion has been closed.