Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big news from Westminster is that there are LAB calls for E

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Very cool. Keep me updated.

I have a feeling they might be selling the poppies off, but I'm sure they could make them again for next year.

Value means nought to you. A one-off subscription is like an Al-Beeb TV-licence: The more you can use it the lesser we subscribing individuals are.

:grow-up:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Fenster said:

Pong said:

Who do the tories most fear as Ed's replacement?

My guess is Andy Burnham.

I think if they go with Yvette Cooper then the Tories will lose.

Only if she puts a bag on her head and never speaks between now and May - she is odious.
    I've thought for some time that I probably will vote Labour at the next election, but certainly not if the Party is led by YC.

The same would apply to her husband, and HH. I reckon I could just about live with Andy Burnham. Johnson would be fine, but is a non-runner. Chuka would be interesting, but is an unlikely replacement. All the rest are even more unlikely, having mostly seen either too many or too few summers.

It isn't going to happen though. Changing Leaders now would be electoral suicide. Ed still has the support of the Unions. They chose him, after all - not the Party members, nor the MPs. It would be an astonishing and wholly uncharacteristic admission of their own failure if they were to ditch him now.

• Options
    antifrank said:

The Labour party let Michael Foot and Gordon Brown lead them into general elections. I expect that they'll let Ed Miliband do so as well.

It's curious in all the talk of unity candidates that no one mentions the Deputy Leader as a possibility.

"This is what a Conservative landslide looks like"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ed is tweeting about buses.

His backbenchers are mulling him falling under one
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    isam said:

Ah "Samonipad" what a guy!

Funny how "tim" only appears when quoted by someone else.. why is that?
    He arranged for all his posts to be deleted.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2014
    On unrelated developments for 2016:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2014/11/2016-elections-rand-paul-112629.html?hp=l7

The Kentucky GOP is looking to switch from a primary to a caucus to enable Paul to run for president and senator.
  • Options
    Other news: didn't Mike once say the Tories did well (or was it the incumbent government) when fuel prices were low?

I predicted a few months ago that Osborne might engineer some sort of cut a few months out from an election - seems he's putting pressure on the market to do it:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29924710
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

This is poor reporting by Ross Hawkins.

I eagerly clicked on the story to find out some new facts and there aren't any. It is not a news story. You could make up a similar piece on discontent with the leadership in the Tory or LibDem party.

This sentence is typical of the piece:

"Privately some MPs are said to think the party is in "meltdown"."

Privately (unattrributable) some MPs are said (rumour) to think (inside their heads) the party is in "meltdown" (OTT).

I don't think it is biased reporting, just poor reporting.

"Some MPs say" would count as "weasel words" in Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2014
  • Options

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

None of this looks good but the Labour party didn't challenge Brown when he was wreaking the country; when he was paralysed by indecision and incompetence and when attack dogs (of the type Ed to his credit seems to have dispensed with) were wandering the corridors savaging cabinet ministers and everyone more junior at will.

Labour really don't do decapitations. Do they?

I would say Ed is definitely in a worse position than Brown was before the 2010GE. While Brown got more personal animosity from people, people still often had atleast a grudging respect for him, and there was a vague sense he was keen on giving help to the poorest. The most damaging thing for Ed is that people don't think he stands for anything at all. They just see him as a career politician jockeying (badly) for a job for himself, without having any reasons for WHY he'd want the job.
    Furthermore, people could imagine Brown as Prime Minister. Admittedly, only because he was already, but that's still a significant advantage.
    Brown was genuinely frightening. No one is scared of Ed.
    Ridicule is a FAR more dangerous thing for a politican than fear. Ed is a joke. He just is. Where Labour go from here with him in the lead is anyone's guess.
  • Options

antifrank said:

The Labour party let Michael Foot and Gordon Brown lead them into general elections. I expect that they'll let Ed Miliband do so as well.

It's curious in all the talk of unity candidates that no one mentions the Deputy Leader as a possibility.

Been over 22 years since the Tories actually won an election and counting!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,254

Other news: didn't Mike once say the Tories did well (or was it the incumbent government) when fuel prices were low?

I predicted a few months ago that Osborne might engineer some sort of cut a few months out from an election - seems he's putting pressure on the market to do it:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29924710

He's lucky the oil prices are tanking more than (Certainly I) foresaw. But Gov'ts have luck both good and bad.

The GBP price of oil is the crucial element though, and the GBP has dipped against the USD recently mitigating some of the drop.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I eagerly clicked on the story to find out some new facts and there aren't any. It is not a news story. You could make up a similar piece on discontent with the leadership in the Tory or LibDem party.

Privately (unattrributable) some MPs are said (rumour) to think (inside their heads) the party is in "meltdown" (OTT).

If a journalist is getting such comments from two or more Labour MPs, don't you think that's newsworthy even if they insist that the comments aren't publicly attributed to them? On the assumption that Ross Hawkins is honestly reporting what he has been told, this seems like a huge news story to me, on or off the record.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Patrick said:

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

None of this looks good but the Labour party didn't challenge Brown when he was wreaking the country; when he was paralysed by indecision and incompetence and when attack dogs (of the type Ed to his credit seems to have dispensed with) were wandering the corridors savaging cabinet ministers and everyone more junior at will.

I would say Ed is definitely in a worse position than Brown was before the 2010GE. While Brown got more personal animosity from people, people still often had atleast a grudging respect for him, and there was a vague sense he was keen on giving help to the poorest. The most damaging thing for Ed is that people don't think he stands for anything at all. They just see him as a career politician jockeying (badly) for a job for himself, without having any reasons for WHY he'd want the job.
    Furthermore, people could imagine Brown as Prime Minister. Admittedly, only because he was already, but that's still a significant advantage.
    Ridicule is a FAR more dangerous thing for a politican than fear. Ed is a joke. He just is. Where Labour go from here with him in the lead is anyone's guess.
    According to the polls, to 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2014
    antifrank said:

Actually, I think Harriet could do a decent job of a Michael Howard-style "damage control" election result. Despite being posh, I actually think she's better at speaking plainly and understandably than most of the shadow cabinet automatons, and she would atleast do a better job of firing up the middle-class Left than Ed has done with his timid Tory-lite economic policies, the few % of votes that have leaked from Labour to the Greens in recent months should in theory be easy pickings for Labour to regain.

She wouldn't be seen as a credible prime minister, but frankly with the rate Labour's poll ratings are sliding, that probably wouldn't be an issue by the time she got the job as party leader anyway.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    It wasn't just the disastrous speech that finished EdM, it was the Mansion Tax. The policy is the greatest political suicide since 1983.

With one of the stupidest and most ill-conceived policies ever devised he alienated a swathe of vital backers who live in London. The media have been at his throat ever since, and not just the media, but others who Tony Blair spent years woo-ing to the Labour soft-left cause: from people in film, actors, writers … movers and shakers who have a social conscience but don't want to think their homes might go.

He's an utter f-ing berk.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

“There’s no shame in voting Ukip,” a building worker told me. “We want Ukip. He’ll sort all this immigration out

Still believe in shy UKIP?
    1. Some UKIP voters are not shy -> all UKIP voters are not shy.

2. Some trees are evergreen -> all trees are evergreen.

You do realise that your argument can be stated as 1. above and that it is exactly as valid as 2., do you?
    That's not the argument. It's whether when properly prompted the polls systematically understate UKIP because some of their voters are shy to admit to it, I have yet to see any evidence - but this is like INDYREF revisited - those "with faith" need no data - and contrary data is irrelevant....
  • Options

Barnesian said:

"Some MPs say" would count as "weasel words" in Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word

Political journalism is absolutely full of it these days !
  • Options

Whilst Ed Balls is unpopular in the country, isn't he sufficiently popular within Labour MPs, members and trade unionists to justify shorter odds than 18/1 to be next leader?

You underestimate the amount of damage the Blair/Brown wars did to the Labour Party, David.

Balls was Brown's second-in-command, which is why he was a non-runner in the search for a replacement. He remains so, I think. Few would imagine his wife to be free from the stigma that attaches to him from that period.

Personally I would regard both as unacceptable, but I'm a voter rather than a Party Member, and not even a reliable one at that.
  • Options

isam said:

o_O Seriously ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,410

Eurobarometer - October 2014

"Having the Euro is a good or bad thing for your country?"

France +53 / -37
    Italy +43 / -47
    Cyprus +42 / -46

p.8 of PDF
    http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/flash/fl_405_en.pdf

Note the German result: 65% think Euro membership a good thing, 24% bad - that puts the AfD fever among Eurosceptics in perspective.

On topic, it's hard to get excited about some anonymous MPs expressing a view - we've seen similar comments by Tory MPs about Cameron, but he rightly just shrugged them off.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

When has Ed not been ridiculed since he became leader, his PR team have been third rate for too long, unless he doesn't respond to advice.

• Options

antifrank said:

Been over 22 years since the Tories actually won an election and counting!
    Maybe this is just one of those occasions to shut up Sunil? It doesn't really behove you. It's bad news, don't try and pretend anything else.

Your best hope is probably that it gains traction and he goes. Leaders in their honeymoon usually get a bounce.

Under EdM Labour will not win. Everyone who has studied politics knows it.
  • Options
    @MShapland: Balls and Copper both put out press releases defending Miliband whilst Ed talks buses - either its too early for them or they're behind it
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

Actually, I think Harriet could do a decent job of a Michael Howard-style "damage control" election result. Despite being posh, I actually think she's better at speaking plainly and understandably than most of the shadow cabinet automatons, and she would atleast do a better job of firing up the middle-class Left than Ed has done with his timid Tory-lite economic policies, the few % of votes that have leaked from Labour to the Greens in recent months should in theory be easy pickings for Labour to regain.

She wouldn't be seen as a credible prime minister, but frankly with the rate Labour's poll ratings are sliding, that probably wouldn't be an issue by the time she got the job as party leader anyway.
    I think you underestimate the derision Hattie attracts for her uber-PC antics. If anything, it would alienate the 'true' working class more than EdM has.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,067

France +53 / -37
    Italy +43 / -47
    Cyprus +42 / -46

p.8 of PDF

Note the German result: 65% think Euro membership a good thing, 24% bad - that puts the AfD fever among Eurosceptics in perspective.

On topic, it's hard to get excited about some anonymous MPs expressing a view - we've seen similar comments by Tory MPs about Cameron, but he rightly just shrugged them off.
    I think everyone else here has been finding it very easy to get excited ...
  • Options
    Good Lord it's true just checked an old thread.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

It wasn't just the disastrous speech that finished EdM, it was the Mansion Tax. The policy is the greatest political suicide since 1983.

With one of the stupidest and most ill-conceived policies ever devised he alienated a swathe of vital backers who live in London. The media have been at his throat ever since, and not just the media, but others who Tony Blair spent years woo-ing to the Labour soft-left cause: from people in film, actors, writers … movers and shakers who have a social conscience but don't want to think their homes might go.

No one else got very excited about it, it's been around for years as a Cable/LD policy and it damaged balls more than miliband. Almost wholly irrelevant to either, though.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    By the way, Tristram Hunt scares me as a prospect. I dislike him, but that's not the point. (I can't stand Blair either.) Hunt's dangerous. In a potentially powerful sort of way. He could lead Labour to power.

Annoyingly good looking too, which is a bit of a pain.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It wasn't the mansion tax - it was the having nothing else but the mansion tax.

The blank piece of paper has become the touchpaper to burn down his leadership.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    dr_spyn said:
    That circle around Ed "Fixing the Buses" Miliband looks a bit small in that large assembly hall. Or is he just talking very quietly so they need to sit close?

Think they'd have been better off doing the Q&A in a meeting room!

Or on a bus...
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Danny565 said:

antifrank said:

I think you underestimate the derision Hattie attracts for her uber-PC antics. If anything, it would alienate the 'true' working class more than EdM has.
    UKIP would definitely win Cannock Chase if Hattie was in charge.
  • Options

Speedy said:
    No!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgee3IGYZsU

:before-dr-prasannan-engages-brain-cell:

EtA: Early "Safety-Dance"...?
    "We can dance if we want to
    We can leave your friends behind
    Cos your friends don't dance
    And if they don't dance
    Well, they're no friends of mine"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,657
    Scott_P said:

@MShapland: Balls and Copper both put out press releases defending Miliband whilst Ed talks buses - either its too early for them or they're behind it

If Balls and Cooper are united, Ed is under it....

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,096
    antifrank said:

Barnesian said:

If a journalist is getting such comments from two or more Labour MPs, don't you think that's newsworthy even if they insist that the comments aren't publicly attributed to them? On the assumption that Ross Hawkins is honestly reporting what he has been told, this seems like a huge news story to me, on or off the record.
    No I don't think it is a huge news story. It's full of blah masquerading as a story. Noise not signal.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

A-ha, there we go. No move then.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,908
    edited November 2014

France +53 / -37
    Italy +43 / -47
    Cyprus +42 / -46

p.8 of PDF

Yep agree Nick.

You must impress upon your MPs and PPCs to hold their nerve.

Onwards with Ed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,073
    The Guardian is calling up the cavalry with a series of supportive tweets and comments: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2014/nov/06/nick-clegg-hosts-his-call-clegg-phone-in-politics-live-blog#block-545b5f68e4b012fe577e0948

Apparently the statement is going to be about buses, not the leadership. Panic over folks.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

But the Mansion Tax infuriated and scared people who matter: not just the proprietors, but editors, sub-editors of newspapers and television programmes, film directors, senior producers, actors, theatre managers, literary agents and writers … a huge swathe of people who are vital to keep onside if you want to win. You don't threaten people in London who work hard, but who are soft-left with a conscience, that they might have to give up their homes, which is how it looked.

What on earth was he thinking?
  • Options
    If Labour are serious about getting a replacement, they now need someone who is authentically working class. Andy Burnham would pass muster, Alan Johnson would do too. Most of the others, not so much.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014

France +53 / -37
    Italy +43 / -47
    Cyprus +42 / -46

p.8 of PDF

If the AfD started getting 24%, that would shake up German politics.

The lowest Ms Le Pen gets in the round 2 presidential polls is 36%, which ties with the 37% feeling the Euro is bad for France. (Her round one result is high 20s, low 30s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_Presidential_election,_2017
  • Options
    Audrey

The markets say otherwise, making Labour a clear favourite for most seats. This would suggest that your contention that "everyone who has studied politics knows it" to be demonstrably untrue, whether you personally are right in your view or not.
  • Options
    I doubt any of the serious players would want to take charge right now - a leadership election at this stge looks like a complete full blown crisis... Labour is in crisis, but only in Scotland for the moment. Bang average for England I'd say, though the Tories are also in the soup too - so relatively its a wash.

If Labour are heading to defeat I'd imagine Burnham, Cooper, Harman and whoever would want Ed to OWN the defeat.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Would not ANY Labour leader struggle with this. The world has moved on. We have large debts and deficits that must be addressed. Labour is the party of having more cake and eating a larger slice of it too. In the real world there will be less cake. What is the point of Labour? Who do they represent? WWC - I think not! WTF are they any more? As (I think it was) DavidL posted earlier today there are big issues for a left of centre party to mull over and offer sensible workable non-bankrupting solutions to. Labour's policy journey here (Ed, Ed, Chuka, any of them) has been precisely zero. They are not fit to govern.
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: Ed Balls says rumours of Ed Miliband leadership problems are "nonsense" and and it's the Tory party who are divided, "Labour are united."

@benatipsosmori: @SophyRidgeSky when they have to say that...
  • Options
    Ed is in trouble. The MP's didn't want him. The party members didn't want him. All that is propping him up is the unions. Are they prepared to admit they dropped a bollock? The direction of travel strongly suggests their man is not going to be PM. Worse, many of Labour's voters are finally waking up, looking around at decades-long unchanging landscapes of urban decay, and asking - "what the hell is Labour for?" If they don't act now, then they carry the can for what happens next.

I do think Ed now realises he is not up to the job. He has had four years to project himself as the next Prime Minister. But his popularity is actually going backwards. I truly think that his loyalty to the party may well cause him to reflect deeply - and to step down. Perhaps as early as next week.

And I don't know who would be more disappointed by that - David Cameron or Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Martin Shapland ‏@MShapland 2m2 minutes ago
    Labour MP's now openly mocking Ed Miliband to Journo's - much more damaging than an actual change of leader.
  • Options
    Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 6m6 minutes ago
    Former Labour minister--deeply frustrated with Ed Miliband's leadership--has told me "people normally grow into the role, but he's shrunk."
  • Options
    BBC Northampton ‏@BBCNorthampton 1m1 minute ago
    Labour leader @Ed_Miliband tells @WillyGilder he won't stand down despite calls from his backbenchers.He says calls are 'nonsense frankly'
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Ed now 6/1 with Shadsy to leave before election
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    dr_spyn said:
    Oh Lord - was this one of Lucy's big ideas? Are these real people or the usual rent-a -crowd and is he gonna start quoting individuals endlessly from Northampton now instead of Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    Ed now Evs (from 10/11) to be PM at 2015 Queen's speech
  • Options
    HA!

@VickiYoung01: Miliband says rumours of a challenge to his leadership are nonsense.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

“There’s no shame in voting Ukip,” a building worker told me. “We want Ukip. He’ll sort all this immigration out

You do realise that your argument can be stated as 1. above and that it is exactly as valid as 2., do you?
    That's not the argument. It's whether when properly prompted the polls systematically understate UKIP because some of their voters are shy to admit to it, I have yet to see any evidence - but this is like INDYREF revisited - those "with faith" need no data - and contrary data is irrelevant....
    I don't have "faith", and the only evidence to test shyness, is actual outcomes. (You can't poll for it). So it remains and will remain a more or less plausible hypothesis unless and until we can compare say R&S result with the latest prompted poll.

• Options
    felix said:

dr_spyn said:
    Oh Lord - was this one of Lucy's big ideas? Are these real people or the usual rent-a -crowd and is he gonna start quoting individuals endlessly from Northampton now instead of Primrose Hill.
    Oh and btw - since when do most people outside London truly rely on anything but their cars.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Guardian.
    Ed Miliband is facing a crisis of confidence amongst his backbenchers, with direct warnings being sent to the leader’s office that he has to improve his performance and complaints being channelled through the chair of the parliamentary Labour party, David Watts..
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/06/ed-miliband-faces-labour-leadership-crisis?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options

Ed now 6/1 with Shadsy to leave before election

He'll have a good christmas if everyone piles on that one.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    dr_spyn said:

Former Labour minister--deeply frustrated with Ed Miliband's leadership--has told me "people normally grow into the role, but he's shrunk."

LOL...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

LMAO at him claiming this person "told him" -- it was quoted in a Daily Mail report hours ago!
  • Options
    G - "Ed Miliband faces Labour leadership crisis

Ed Miliband is facing a crisis of confidence amongst his backbenchers, with direct warnings being sent to the leader’s office that he has to improve his performance and complaints being channelled through the chair of the parliamentary Labour party, David Watts."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/06/ed-miliband-faces-labour-leadership-crisis?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    I don't believe Ed Miliband is about to go anywhere. Nothing organised. It's just a bout of nerves 6 months out from a tight election. Save your money.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC Northampton ‏@BBCNorthampton 1m1 minute ago
    Labour leader @Ed_Miliband tells @WillyGilder he won't stand down despite calls from his backbenchers.He says calls are 'nonsense frankly'

Barnesian is likely to be harrumphing about tomorrow morning's papers, I fear.
  • Options
    I thought Ed was going to sack anyone who briefed against a colleague...

@SophyRidgeSky: Labour source: reshuffle "shows there isn't going to be any strategic shift. He's promoted his friends, and is retreating to a comfort zone"
  • Options
    I suspect this is a short term wobble which will be largely forgotten by tomorrow.

But if today's story causes Labour to shed another 2-3% and its polling gets down to GB levels that in itself will be a story and, possibly, a self fulfilling prophecy. This has only happened with Ashcroft so far and his numbers are all over the place. A Yougov with Labour at 29 would really get people chattering.

Labour are really vulnerable right now. Only matching Tory weakness prevents this from being a full blown panic.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Ed Balls says rumours of Ed Miliband leadership problems are "nonsense" and and it's the Tory party who are divided, "Labour are united."

@benatipsosmori: @SophyRidgeSky when they have to say that...

Labour are indeed united...in wishing Ed would fall under that bus...

• Options
    edited November 2014

TGOHF said:

But the Mansion Tax infuriated and scared people who matter: not just the proprietors, but editors, sub-editors of newspapers and television programmes, film directors, senior producers, actors, theatre managers, literary agents and writers … a huge swathe of people who are vital to keep onside if you want to win. You don't threaten people in London who work hard, but who are soft-left with a conscience, that they might have to give up their homes, which is how it looked.

The people you're talking about simply don't exist. Virtually any middle-class person who is in the least bit inclined to vote Labour would ideologically be in favour of high taxes.

Of all the many problems that have doomed Labour/Ed, the mansion tax is not in the top 20.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Every other party is desperate for Ed to stay in position.

When that's the case, you know it's time to get rid of him.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Hughs early posts are all deleted too.. it says he joined this July, but he was posting the day after tim last did, which was Dec 2013
  • Options
    BBC Radio Sheffield ‏@BBCSheffield 2m2 minutes ago
    The shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, has dismissed reports of an organised attempt to oust Ed Miliband "as nonsense".
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Audrey

The markets say otherwise, making Labour a clear favourite for most seats. This would suggest that your contention that "everyone who has studied politics knows it" to be demonstrably untrue, whether you personally are right in your view or not.

You're wrong.

The markets are more tilted to the Conservatives at GE2015 than is supported by the current opinion polls, especially with their electoral college advantage.
    http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats
    Betters rate the Conservative chances far more highly than an ill-informed straight reading of current polling would support, and are backing that with their money. It's not just past performance or incumbency or even the usual swing back. It's doubts about Miliband taking home Labour. Would you back Labour to win with your own hard-earned money? Hells bells I know I wouldn't, and remember most of my big wins haven't taken into account personal preferences.
    Has anyone on here apart from Nick Palmer backed a Labour win?
    The markets are not backing a Labour win compared to polling.

Don't know that, then you know nuffin' Jon Snow.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The people you're talking about simply don't exist. Virtually any middle-class person who is in the least bit inclined to vote Labour would ideologically be in favour of high taxes.

...for other people, sure...
  • Options

I don't believe Ed Miliband is about to go anywhere. Nothing organised. It's just a bout of nerves 6 months out from a tight election. Save your money.

But are those nerves going to settle any time in the coming six months, Henry?

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC Radio Sheffield ‏@BBCSheffield 2m2 minutes ago
    The shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, has dismissed reports of an organised attempt to oust Ed Miliband "as nonsense".

"organised" attempts are not really a Labour speciality, are they?
  • Options

FPT

BenM said:

Talk about picking out niff naff and trivia. The facts don't support the hysterical anti-immigration case regardless of consituent elements.

@BenM are second generation immigrants, ie those born in the UK whose parents were born abroad, considered to be natives? Or are they immigrants? Or are they a bit of both?

And is this question niff naff and trivia, and am I a hysterical anti-immigrant for asking?
    @BenM are you too offended by the question to even engage with it?
  • Options
    The state of Labour will be wondrous to behold when the Tories regain the polling lead in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    What we need about now is a YouGov outlier with a Tory lead of 5%..... 34-29 should do it...
  • Options

Danny565 said:

'It is a truth universally acknowledged that all taxpayers believe in higher taxes on those who earn a lot more than them' - I know my Jane Austen:)
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Shadow Minister: "Is the entire PLP in despair saying something must be done? Yes. Are we seeing a full blown coup? No ".
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    isam said:

isam said:

Hughs early posts are all deleted too.. it says he joined this July, but he was posting the day after tim last did, which was Dec 2013
    Wait, what? You surely can't be suggesting...? Can you?

*the horror*
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Danny565 said:

No, for themselves.

For the record, I'm only talking about middle-class, intellectual LEFTIES -- a great many of the middle class will be opposed to the mansion tax, but these will largely be people who never even voted for Blair. Despite what Audreyanne's saying, the real leakage under Ed's watch has been among the working-class and the "striving" lower middle class, not the trendy London rich middle class (and even most of those have left have probably gone to the even more high-taxing Greens).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Danny565 said:

TGOHF said:

Absolute garbage.

They certainly exist, and it's too tempting not to put 'because I know them.' Well, some of them.

At the General Election everyone votes mindful of how it will affect them. It's human nature. It's the driving force behind what makes us as a species so successful. Yes yes, of course we all want to be altruistic, or most of us do, and yes yes of course we 'want' to do our bit and will try to do so.

But only if our home is secure. You don't mess with that. No-one is going to vote to do good if it involves giving up their home. Some will vote for higher taxes, sure, although Tony Blair's brilliant success was founded on NOT taxing the middle class too heavily.

No-one will ever vote to lose their home.

When the catastrophe of Miliband is written in years to come, the Mansion Tax will be found to be the nail in his coffin. It turned the media from mildly critical to outright hatred.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

isam said:

Wait, what? You surely can't be suggesting...? Can you?

*the horror*
    Haha

Some people honestly don't believe it
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

I don't have "faith", and the only evidence to test shyness, is actual outcomes. (You can't poll for it). So it remains and will remain a more or less plausible hypothesis unless and until we can compare say R&S result with the latest prompted poll.

Clacton didn't show any "shy UKIP" - the two bye-election polls showed UKIP ON 56 & 64 - they got 59.7.

What evidence do you have for shy UKIP?
  • Options
    Well, if there's no coup, Ed probably just needs to make it through to Christmas, when he should be out of the news for a while to recover. Though he'll probably end up giving a rabbi a festive ham or something.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Shadow Minister: "Is the entire PLP in despair saying something must be done? Yes. Are we seeing a full blown coup? No ".

Despair but no coup - the Brown era is back for the Labour party!

Where is David Miliband when his party needs him?

• Options
    Are any Labour MPs likely to go public with their calls for Ed Miliband to stand down? If so, who?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Guru Hodges did a puff piece for Chukka earlier on in the week.

IS now the time for the British Obama?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

The state of Labour will be wondrous to behold when the Tories regain the polling lead in the not too distant future.

Today's 'news' makes that more likely, no? And should further depress Ed's personal ratings as well. Self-fulfilling or self-defeating?
  • Options
    taffys said:

David Lammy? Pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWwyVQ2IQuE
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    RodCrosby said:

The smarter MPs appear to have "priced that in".

it's too late - Ed has been marked as the blame depository for 2015.
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1: Tories privately alarmed by Miliband woes. 'Don't push him over the edge!' pleads one senior source
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

Clacton didn't show any "shy UKIP" - the two bye-election polls showed UKIP ON 56 & 64 - they got 59.7.

Prompting on those polls?

• Options
    taffys said:

If they can hold off a little bit longer they could hire the American one...
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

When you decided you were going to use Clacton as an example didn't you think about an election held on the same day and consider checking if that proved or disproved your theory?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    Labour can't be mad enough to for the hat-trick of disastrous errors, can they? So far they've made two massive blunder: (a) to have chosen Ed in the first place, and (b) not to have ditched him when it was obvious he'd be a disaster, i.e. about three years ago.

Going for (c): Ditching him a few months before a GE, would be suicidal.

Their best policy is to hope for the best, and if by some misfortune they find themselves in the nightmare scenario of actually being in government under Ed, ditch him then before the Labour brand is irrevocably tarnished.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,410

Audrey

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats

I'm not a great fan of the wisdom of crowds theory, or the wisdom of punters - they switch with the polls just like we do. But the markets are backing a Labour win, as, cough, your own link shows. The polls back a slightly larger win. Either is fine.

• Options

Audrey

You're wrong.

The markets are more tilted to the Conservatives at GE2015 than is supported by the current opinion polls, especially with their electoral college advantage.
    Betters rate the Conservative chances far more highly than an ill-informed straight reading of current polling would support, and are backing that with their money. It's not just past performance or incumbency or even the usual swing back. It's doubts about Miliband taking home Labour. Would you back Labour to win with your own hard-earned money? Hells bells I know I wouldn't, and remember most of my big wins haven't taken into account personal preferences.

What have your big wins been, out of interest? And did you have any money on R&S being the first open primary in the UK? And why was anyone going to lose their home over the mansion tax?

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Today's 'news' makes that more likely, no? And should further depress Ed's personal ratings as well. Self-fulfilling or self-defeating?
    Maybe that's the plan. Destabilise him sufficiently that the party support nosedives, so the calls to quit become unanswerable.

He goes, and the stellar Harman still has time to turn things round...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited November 2014
    The polls back a slightly larger win. Either is fine.

Given this position, which you are quite correct to point out, you must be frustrated by certain of your colleagues. What the f8ck are they on?
This discussion has been closed.