Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hung parliament now the overwhelming GE15 favourite on the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Hung parliament now the overwhelming GE15 favourite on the Betfair exchange

On one level the rise of UKIP and to a lesser extent the Greens changes very little when trying to work out the coming election. The main fights are in LAB-CON battlegrounds where, conventionally, all that matters is the gap between the two main parties. You just leave aside others and focus on the blue and red shares.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    FPT
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:
    Scotland is bloody hard to figure out, huge apparent swing to the SNP set against enourmous Labour majorities.
    I completely agree. Here were my thoughts this morning:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-snp-battleground-in-november-2014.html

Tomorrow's piece, fortunately, should be less taxing on my remaining grey cells.
  • Options
    On topic, NOM has to be a strong favourite now. When I've finished doing all my lists of constituency odds by party, I'm going to take a look at the overall picture. I'm already clear in my mind that this will be my main conclusion.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Lab and Con maj odds should be reversed, as I'm sure they will sooner or later.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

FPT

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:
    Scotland is bloody hard to figure out, huge apparent swing to the SNP set against enourmous Labour majorities.
    I completely agree. Here were my thoughts this morning:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-snp-battleground-in-november-2014.html

Tomorrow's piece, fortunately, should be less taxing on my remaining grey cells.
    Can I just say that the site cannot afford to pay your usual charge-out rate however good your insight is.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Could UKIP start picking up MPs in places that nobody had foreseen?

Rother Valley hopefully...

Some others are in for Dudley North, Walsall South etc.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014
    Prof Curtice's analysis of the 25% UKIP Survation poll, had UKIP taking 100+ seats in southern England. That would be 'something totally different.' :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789512/record-poll-surge-gives-ukip-25-survey-hand-farage-astonishing-128-mps-puts-ed-miliband-new-low.html
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2014
    Any bright people on here fancy winning £10 million?

http://www.longitudeprize.org/challenge/antibiotics

In order to tackle growing levels of antimicrobial resistance, the challenge set for the Longitude Prize is to create a cost-effective, accurate, rapid and easy-to-use test for bacterial infections that will allow health professionals worldwide to administer the right antibiotics at the right time.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

For all the weaknesses has LAB still has by far the better ground operation in key battlegrounds which is where elections are won and lost.

• Options
    The SNP surge could be vital in changing some of the rules of thumb that we have become accustomed to in terms of the % Tory lead needed to have (a) Most Seats and (b) a majority.

But, as shadsy notes, Labour are currently only favourites to lose 3 seats to the SNP - most of their gains are from the LDs.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fingers crossed for Portsmouth North.
  • Options

Prof Curtice's analysis of the 25% UKIP Survation poll, had UKIP taking 100+ seats in southern England. That would be 'something totally different.' :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2789512/record-poll-surge-gives-ukip-25-survey-hand-farage-astonishing-128-mps-puts-ed-miliband-new-low.html

Curtice was just applying standard seat calculators and it was not his prediction. The Survation poll has not been supported by any other firm.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,800
    This election, indeed, doesn't feel right, but all those high polling numbers for UKIP and the Greens, and general dissatisfaction with the three biggest (by MP numbers) parties will get ignored by the first-past-the-post system. Most seats are still going to go Labour or Conservative. Indeed, the total number of Lab+Con MPs could even increase at the next general election (depending on how the SNP surge does in Scotland, the UKIP surge does in England and how many seats the LibDems lose).

If punters' feelings are based on voter dissatisfaction but they underestimate the tendency of FPTP to deliver someone a majority, is the betting value in betting against NOM?
  • Options

Curtice was just applying standard seat calculators and it was not his prediction. The Survation poll has not been supported by any other firm.
    The "prompt for UKIP" ComRes produced 24% UKIP a week later.

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1293/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-poll.htm
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

For all the weaknesses has LAB still has by far the better ground operation in key battlegrounds which is where elections are won and lost.

Big advantage with the electoral geography too. The fact that Miliband is blowing such inherent advantages and Lord* only knows what is going on in Scotland is amusing.

*Perhaps the Good Lord will be able to shed further light...
  • Options

The SNP surge could be vital in changing some of the rules of thumb that we have become accustomed to in terms of the % Tory lead needed to have (a) Most Seats and (b) a majority.

But, as shadsy notes, Labour are currently only favourites to lose 3 seats to the SNP - most of their gains are from the LDs.

The problem for the Tories is that LAB losses to the SNP in Scotland have zero impact on their majority chances. They just make it harder for LAB to secure a majority.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT
    Alistair said:

So people were right, the Welfare figure from the personal tax statements includes £20 billion in public sector pensions.

Working like a dream.

In an attempt to downplay the significance of welfare, all these kind of numbers are being drawn out.

Tell taxpayers they are paying £20bn a year for public sector workers' pensions.

That's over £700 per private sector worker.

• Options

If Labour only lose 3 seats then it makes the Labour vote even more ridiculously efficient than it is currently I'd guess.

But if they lose 13 up there that is a different matter.
  • Options

Most of the "extra" UKIP votes in that poll were from non-2010 voters.

• Options

Rochester & Strood should be a decent test of the 2010 non-voter theory.
  • Options

Reaching out to disillusioned voters is part of the UKIP rise. Different pollsters have different models for that.
  • Options

The problem for the Tories is that LAB losses to the SNP in Scotland have zero impact on their majority chances. They just make it harder for LAB to secure a majority.

But it does affect most seats.;...
  • Options
    The Heywood & Middleton certainly put paid to the suggestion that UKIP can't outperform polls, and was the deathknell for anyone in Labour who think they are only a worry for the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Would also be interesting to see if the LDs can avoid their 11th lost deposit of this Parliament...
  • Options

But that still leaves Dave much more likely to still be PM doesn't it?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited November 2014

Indeed, as Pulpstar notes, it only serves to make the Labour vote more efficient vis-a-vis the Tories - so the 7.5-8% lead rule-of-thumb might become a 9% lead. But what was odd was the fact that Tory majority drifted on the Scottish polling, when it should have been Labour majority.

All modelling expects a Tory comeback from here, and the mechanism is fairly obvious (reversing losses to UKIP, picking up some of the Labour vote that prefer DC to EM). I'm at a bit of a loss as to where a Labour comeback is going to come from. Squeezing the Green vote seems the best shot.

What's better value? 8/15 Tories most votes with Ladbrokes, or 6/5 Tories most seats on betfair?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

But it does affect most seats.;...
    If it holds, it will force Labour to spread their resources to cover Scottish seats they thought were safe too.
  • Options
    I can see why H&M voters switched to UKIP in the ballot box too, the contrast between Liz Mcinnes and Douglas Carswell's acceptance speeches was extraordinary.
  • Options

Indeed, as Pulpstar notes, it only serves to make the Labour vote more efficient vis-a-vis the Tories - so the 7.5-8% lead rule-of-thumb might become a 9% lead. But what was odd was the fact that Tory majority drifted on the Scottish polling, when it should have been Labour majority.

All modelling expects a Tory comeback from here, and the mechanism is fairly obvious (reversing losses to UKIP, picking up some of the Labour vote that prefer DC to EM). I'm at a bit of a loss as to where a Labour comeback is going to come from. Squeezing the Green vote seems the best shot.

What's better value? 8/15 Tories most votes with Ladbrokes, or 6/5 Tories most seats on betfair?
    I was thinking 13-8 Labour most votes might be the value at this point in time actually...

I don't think 8-15 Tories most votes is value at present for sure.

Think I'll wait and see on this one, I get the feeling the Labour slide could well halt at parity or slightly below - just a gut feeling that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The Heywood & Middleton certainly put paid to the suggestion that UKIP can't outperform polls, and was the deathknell for anyone in Labour who think they are only a worry for the Tories.

H&M supported the GE2010 non voter point. Both polls had LAB with more non voters than UKIP

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

How about Plymouth Moor View?

http://labourlist.org/2014/09/the-top-100-ukip-leaning-labour-seats/
  • Options

Reaching out to disillusioned voters is part of the UKIP rise. Different pollsters have different models for that.
    Remember almost all the final week polls at the May Euros overstated UKIP in some cases to a considerable extent. The worst was ComRes online.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Pulpstar said:

Rhondda UKIP target #1 ?!?!

They don't even have a seat on the Rhondda Council which is 60/75 Labour.

Can't see it myself !
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Just a few random thoughts;

This election is going to be fascinating. So many known unknowns - there's going to be a hell of a lot of longshots that come in, and short priced favourites which lose. I think the key to making money is figuring out the dynamic, and then looking at how it will play out in various seats.

UKIP seem to have stumbled upon a lot of sympathy/support in the labour heartlands, but will these people actually vote? Can ukip realistically develop an effective GOTV operation in such a short time? Can UKIP harness this support without losing their support in the Tory heartlands?

I dunno.

Anyway, from a punting perspective, one bet I'd like to see offered by the bookies is an SNP/UKIP seats match bet. Right now, the SNP would be heavy favourites, but that may change considerably as the election nears.

• Options
    chestnut said:

Pulpstar said:

I think UKIP 'won' Plymouth Moor View in the 2014 locals.
  • Options

The problem being that already the UKIP policy proposals in many cases are more attractive to Traditional Tories than the Tory alternatives and UKIP do not suffer from having a track record of being so terribly 'liberal'. In a lot of cases the reason UKIP are out Torying the Tories (Immigration, Aid, Energy etc) is because of the Tories clinging to EU membership. UKIP's big advantage is they are not constrained in their policy making by EU diktat.

It's as if the Tories intend to go into the election with both hands tied behind their back. The only way I can see they will succeed in getting large numbers of former Tories to return at this stage is if the MSM conspire to suppress UKIP's policy offering during the campaign or something goes very wrong for UKIP.

• Options
    Pong said:

Anyway, from a punting perspective, one bet I'd like to see offered by the bookies is an SNP/UKIP seats match bet.

Real gambling bet that one :)
  • Options

If punters' feelings are based on voter dissatisfaction but they underestimate the tendency of FPTP to deliver someone a majority, is the betting value in betting against NOM?

I still think ~60% is pretty low for the chance of a hung Parliament. Around 80% seems more likely to be right to me.

That said, if I was thinking of betting on this then I probably wouldn't back NOM, but I would decide which party I thought would be most likely to have most seats and lay the chances of the other party on winning a majority.
  • Options
    But this election doesn’t feel right. All the main parties and all the leader’s have negative ratings. Cameron is top in this little triumvirate because his net negatives are lower.

That is rather misleading, because Prime Ministers usually have negative ratings. That's because they actually have to do things and make difficult decisions, whereas opposition leaders have a much easier job - they can pick and choose what issues to highlight, and they can avoid the hard stuff. The striking figure isn't Cameron's rating (which is well within the range of the ratings of Blair and Thatcher excluding the Falklands effect and the Blair honeymoon), but Miliband's, which is down there with the Duncan Smith and Hague ratings when they were opposition leaders:

http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-october-2014/1
  • Options
    Ladbrokes' Scottish seats prices assume that the last two Scottish polls considerably overstate what the SNP will ultimately achieve, since even on the less favourable of the two polls YouGov found a 19% swing from Labour to the SNP, which would result in Labour losing 31 of its Scottish seats. Shadsy appears to be assuming a 10% swing (something around Labour 33% SNP 31% I guess).

On that type of result, Labour would have lost roughly 9% of vote share in 1/12th of the UK, meaning that its national vote share would have dropped by under 1%. So we would not see any great increase in Labour vote efficiency.
  • Options

The problem being that already the UKIP policy proposals in many cases are more attractive to Traditional Tories than the Tory alternatives and UKIP do not suffer from having a track record of being so terribly 'liberal'. In a lot of cases the reason UKIP are out Torying the Tories (Immigration, Aid, Energy etc) is because of the Tories clinging to EU membership. UKIP's big advantage is they are not constrained in their policy making by EU diktat.

It's as if the Tories intend to go into the election with both hands tied behind their back. The only way I can see they will succeed in getting large numbers of former Tories to return at this stage is if the MSM conspire to suppress UKIP's policy offering during the campaign or something goes very wrong for UKIP.

Sure, but those Tories who think that are in the UKIP column already, and the two main parties are level-pegging. I'm hypothesising that some of them will switch back to the Tories even though they are more sympathetic to the UKIP view of the world. A tactical vote for the Tories (because those same voters mostly think Ed would be a disaster).
  • Options
    I am no expert on swing-back, but why would it be less likely for Labour UKIPers to swing-back to Labour than it would be for Tory UKIPers to swing-back to the Tories, unless it is to unseat a Tory MP?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Ladbrokes' Scottish seats prices assume that the last two Scottish polls considerably overstate what the SNP will ultimately achieve, since even on the less favourable of the two polls YouGov found a 19% swing from Labour to the SNP, which would result in Labour losing 31 of its Scottish seats. Shadsy appears to be assuming a 10% swing (something around Labour 33% SNP 31% I guess).

On that type of result, Labour would have lost roughly 9% of vote share in 1/12th of the UK, meaning that its national vote share would have dropped by under 1%. So we would not see any great increase in Labour vote efficiency.

Yes, it's only 1%, but it does change the rule of thumb re the size of the lead the Tories require. Not that the rules of thumb we have been working with are necessarily going to be that helpful anyway.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Afternoon all :)

As with many others on here, I haven't a clue as to what's going to happen next May. The last time both elements of the duopoly lost support at an election was February 1974 when both Heath and Wilson lost ground to Thorpe's Liberals and the Nationalists.

That huge shift in vote share wasn't reflected in seats as the Liberals and Nationalists only gained 14 seats while Labour, despite losing vote share, actually gained 20 seats.

So it's entirely possible to lose vote share and gain seats. The nadirs for the duopoly in terms of seats (1997 for the Tories and 1983 for Labour) were the result of the other side being dominant. Feb 1974 showed what could happen if neither were dominant.

I think it entirely possible Labour could go to 27% and still gain seats but only IF the Conservatives are around 30%. UKIP can tear chunks out of everyone's vote but still come out with very little - I would posit that at 20% UKIP might win say 10-12 seats. Conversely, the LD vote, while it will disintegrate in hundreds of constituencies, may prove resilient enough to hold on to 30 seats even on 10-12%.

Throw in the conundrum of Scotland and you see the fogbanks of uncertainty hiding the iceberg of disaster for the unwary punter.

OGH's view has long been Labour most seats, Conservative most votes and that's probably still on the cards though the permutations of future Government remain even more elusive.
  • Options

I am no expert on swing-back, but why would it be less likely for Labour UKIPers to swing-back to Labour than it would be for Tory UKIPers to swing-back to the Tories, unless it is to unseat a Tory MP?

Because Labour are in opposition and the Tories are in government. The essence of swing-back is that people are protesting against the government. Sure, some UKIP --> Labour switchers may return, but I'm inclined to see that movement as more of a final verdict on the Opposition. I may well be wrong of course, but that's how I'm betting.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It does start off as being pretty efficient though.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014

Miliband.

In any case you can reverse the question. Why should these two groups, who are demographically very different and are switching for different motives, behave in the same way?

IMO This is the biggest unknown of the election; we simply don't know the extent to which the huge chunk of UKIP support currently in the polls will stay with UKIP, disappear like the Cleggasm, or return to Labour and/or the Tories.

FWIW my hunch is that, starting from where we are now, the movement will benefit the Tories (which doesn't of course mean that in aggregate UKIP are not harming the Tories), as ex-Conservative voters swing back more than ex-Labour voters. But I fear the effect won't be enough.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Pulpstar said:

By-elections are rarely good predictors of what will happen in a GE.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

This must be the must fragmented election in living memory, surely?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Anyway, from a punting perspective, one bet I'd like to see offered by the bookies is an SNP/UKIP seats match bet.

Real gambling bet that one :)
    Indeed :)

Even better, a spreadbet...

SPIN? Spreadex? Are you lurking?
  • Options
    If the polls move exactly as 2009-10 we'd have something like

Con 33.5%
    Lab 27.9%
    LD 17.1%
    UKIP ??

ignoring any house bias.
  • Options

Since 2010, certainly.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited November 2014

Remember almost all the final week polls at the May Euros overstated UKIP in some cases to a considerable extent. The worst was ComRes online.
    Euro result: UKIP 27% (GB only)
    20–21 May YouGov/The Sun 27%
    19–21 May Opinium/Daily Mail 32%
    19–20 May Survation/Mirror 32%

19–20 May YouGov/The Sun 27%
    18–19 May YouGov/The Sun 24%
    15–19 May TNS 1,217 31%
    16–18 May ComRes/ITV News 33%

15–16 May YouGov/Sunday Times 26%
    13–16 May Opinium/Daily Mail 31%
    14–15 May ICM/Sunday Telegraph 25%
    14–15 May ComRes/Sunday Mirror/Independent on Sunday 35%

Unless my maths is wrong:
    6 polls over-stated UKIP
    5 polls tied with actual result or under-stated
  • Options
    NOM relies on two things: (1) how close Lab and Con are in seats won; (2) how many seats everyone else wins.

Let's consider (2). The LibDems seem likely to lose seats, but how many? Ladbrokes' favoured band is winning 21-30 seats, so 31 is a plausible number of losses -- could be more, could be fewer. (I'm only going with Ladbrokes numbers as they were easy to find!) The Greens, despite better national polling, on individual constituency polling look likely to win no seats, losing Brighton. Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland. Let's presume Plaid are flat-lining, as polls suggest. On the other hand, UKIP seem likely to gain seats, but, again, how many? 1? 2? Considerably more? Ladbrokes betting suggests 9. And the SNP seem even more likely to gain seats, but how many? Ladbrokes have 16-20 and 21-25 as joint favourite, so let's guess 21 seats, which would be a gain of 15.

So, all-other-parties could be 32 seats down at the next general election from LibDem & Green losses. Are UKIP and the SNP going to gain 33 seats between them? Current betting suggests maybe 24 gains. So, all-other-parties would be down 8 seats.

In other words, even with terrible poll ratings, Lab and Con between them could have 8 more seats next time around, which would make NOM that little bit less likely.

If UKIP only win 2 seats (seems plausible), SNP gains are more limited (let's say 8) and the LibDems lose more (let's say 37), then all-other-parties could easily be down 28 seats on the last election. That would make NOM quite a bit less likely. On the other hand, if UKIP and SNP make bigger gains, the Greens hold Brighton and LibDems stem losses, then all-other-parties could be maybe 10 seats ahead...? Which would make NOM that bit more likely.
  • Options
    felix said:

The closer the by-election is to the GE the better it is as a guide. Wirral South in 1997 was an extremely good indicator and it's possible to argue that the November 1991 by-election at Langbaurgh showed Labour wasn't going to get the big swing needed to beat the Conservatives.

Rochester & Strood will be informative in its way.

• Options
    stodge said:

felix said:

The closer the by-election is to the GE the better it is as a guide. Wirral South in 1997 was an extremely good indicator and it's possible to argue that the November 1991 by-election at Langbaurgh showed Labour wasn't going to get the big swing needed to beat the Conservatives.

UKIP on course for victory ? O:)
  • Options

Since 2010, certainly.
    You'd have to go back to 1918, really.

ENP 5.4, and that included Sinn Fein/whole of Ireland...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Swingback. Iron. Law.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The Spectator ‏@spectator 6m6 minutes ago
    Rand Paul combines a dull manner with a Ukip-like insurgent appeal, and it could lead him to presidential candidacy: http://specc.ie/1wGUBwG
  • Options
    @Stodgy

"Throw in the conundrum of Scotland and you see the fogbanks of uncertainty hiding the iceberg of disaster for the unwary punter."

Good grief, my dear Stodgy, have you been on a creative writing course?!

Must say I am wholly in agreement with your sentiments though. It is very easy to construct wholly plausible scenarios in which not only does no Party have a Majority, but it is also very difficult to envisage what two-Party coalition might ensure.

Minority Government? Rainbow Coalition?

Buggered if I know.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, you silly sausage.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Since 2010, certainly.
    You'd have to go back to 1918, really.

ENP 5.4, and that included Sinn Fein/whole of Ireland...
    Bonar-Law 33.3%
    David Lloyd George 13.4%
    De Valera 4.8%
    Adamson 21.5%
    N/A Cons 5.9%
    Asquith 13.3%

No overall majority, Coalition Conservatives Most seats, Coalition Con-LD Gov't.

Junior Gov't partner Lloyd George takes a shellacking at the next election, Cons achieve a majority in their own right... Labour improve but not by enough. Ireland out the equation.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    chestnut said:

FPT

Alistair said:

So people were right, the Welfare figure from the personal tax statements includes £20 billion in public sector pensions.

Working like a dream.

In an attempt to downplay the significance of welfare, all these kind of numbers are being drawn out.

Tell taxpayers they are paying £20bn a year for public sector workers' pensions.

That's over £700 per private sector worker.

That includes MP's and soldiers pensions as well.
  • Options
    Neil said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Swingback. Iron. Law.

At every election since the War (and probably before) the Opposition has performed significantly worse than its average by-election swing at the subsequent GE.

2015 will be no different, unless you think Labour are going to have a lead of 8.5%...
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, maybe this is the electoral equivalent of the 2012 F1 season, which had 7 different winners in the first 7 races. I often have difficulty predicting things (*cough* as has been recently proven) but that was especially tough to call.
  • Options
    Oh please do tell me that the Paulistas are going to be backing Rand Paul fervently on Betfair. That's the best news I've had today.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2014

... The striking figure isn't Cameron's rating (which is well within the range of the ratings of Blair and Thatcher excluding the Falklands effect and the Blair honeymoon), but Miliband's, which is down there with the Duncan Smith and Hague ratings when they were opposition leaders:

http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-october-2014/1

The really interesting thing about Miliband's ratings is the journey that they have been on. Hague and IDS essentially hit rock-bottom and then stayed there. Blair retained a positive sheen the whole way through.

Cameron saw his ratings steadily decline, but they then recovered to be better than when he started and thereafter remained in positive territory. Broadly speaking Miliband initially followed a Cameron pattern. His ratings declined, but he then managed to create a recovery. Unlike Cameron, before he could regain a positive balance the trend reversed again, down to Hague-like levels.

This raises the question of what Miliband did right in the period when he dragged his ratings back up, and how he managed to blow it. Of course, it could simply be a reflection of the perceived economic competence of the government.

Miliband's purple patch roughly coincides with the Omnishambles budget, and his subsequent decline with the improving state of the economy. Cameron's rebound is clearly tied to Brown bottling the 2007 election and the subsequent economic crash. The economy was generally doing well while IDS and Hague struggled in Opposition, and Blair became Labour leader after the government's reputation for economic competence was torn to ribbons by the shambolic exit from the ERM.

Maybe there was nothing that Miliband could have done to have made his position better.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Oh please do tell me that the Paulistas are going to be backing Rand Paul fervently on Betfair. That's the best news I've had today.

Did you follow Mike's tip when Rand Paul was 50/1 to be the nominee?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Neil said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Swingback. Iron. Law.

At every election since the War (and probably before) the Opposition has performed significantly worse than its average by-election swing at the subsequent GE.

2015 will be no different, unless you think Labour are going to have a lead of 8.5%...
    Wasn't the recent swing to Labour in the last few by elections 7.5% though ?

Hidden under the numbers so to speak as it was almost an irrelevance to the UKIP surge but think there definitely was a swing to Labour in H&M and Clacton.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    RodCrosby said:

Nope, I was the one pointing out that by-elections do have predictive value (as you seemed uncharacteristically shy about the subject ;) ).
  • Options
    Neil said:

RodCrosby said:

Nope, I was the one pointing out that by-elections do have predictive value (as you seemed uncharacteristically shy about the subject ;) ).
    Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were being ironic!
  • Options

antifrank said:

I remember reading it and liking the logic; I'd need to check my records as to whether I followed it (which are at home rather than work).
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, surely nobody has ever called a 50/1 shot on the US presidential race before?

Mr. Me, might just be the very bad 2012 budget and its aftermath coinciding with the calm before the UKIP storm began. Also worth considering the Scottish situation.

In short, Miliband just happened to be around when the Conservatives cocked up the 45% tax rate (and were aided by an idiotic media over the pasty tax) but was helpless to resist when things turned against him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Neil said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Swingback. Iron. Law.

Hidden under the numbers so to speak as it was almost an irrelevance to the UKIP surge but think there definitely was a swing to Labour in H&M and Clacton.
    Yes, the average is 7.9%, which if repeated in 2015 would put Labour 8.5% ahead.

Ergo, there will be swingback...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    No way are they going to nominate Paul. No frikkin way.
  • Options

... It is very easy to construct wholly plausible scenarios in which not only does no Party have a Majority, but it is also very difficult to envisage what two-Party coalition might ensure.

Buggered if I know.

Are there any Lords that might get the nod from Her majesty to lead a Ministry from the House of Lords if the squabbling Commons is unable to reach a decision?

It might be a way to get a sort of Grand Coalition of Labour and Conservatives without the leaders of the respective parties actually having to do the deed themselves - the Ministry lead from the Lords would simply have to avoid uniting both of the largest parties in the Commons against it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    President Rand Paul would be the most entertaining option - lets hope he wins it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour lost 13.8% vote share in Clacton. Given the Tories lost more, you could call that a 7.3% Con->Lab swing, but how meaningful is that in the circumstances? The Labour vote share went up in H&M, but a mere 0.8%. That does equate to a 7.9% Con->Lab swing.

Go back to Newark and Labour lost 4.7%, or only a 2.1% Con->Lab swing. Wynthenshawe saw Labour gain 11.2% for a 11.1% Con->Lab swing. In South Shields, they lost 1.6% for a 4.3% Con->Lab swing. And if it has any meaning at all, in Eastleigh, there was a 7.1% Con->Lab swing.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

President Rand Paul would be the most entertaining option - lets hope he wins it.

Yep
  • Options

Because Labour are in opposition and the Tories are in government. The essence of swing-back is that people are protesting against the government. Sure, some UKIP --> Labour switchers may return, but I'm inclined to see that movement as more of a final verdict on the Opposition. I may well be wrong of course, but that's how I'm betting.

It is undoubtedly a verdict on the opposition, but what we don't know yet is its permanence. Will previous Labour voters back UKIP if it means making it easier for the Tories to hold onto power? I guess it is back to the toxicity issue - the Miliband brand v the Tory one.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Yep
    CiF would melt down to the centre of the planet and come out the other side - with a froth tsunami hitting Japan shortly afterwards.
  • Options

@Stodgy

"Throw in the conundrum of Scotland and you see the fogbanks of uncertainty hiding the iceberg of disaster for the unwary punter."

Must say I am wholly in agreement with your sentiments though. It is very easy to construct wholly plausible scenarios in which not only does no Party have a Majority, but it is also very difficult to envisage what two-Party coalition might ensure.

Buggered if I know.

It's called "waxing lyrical", my friend. SeanT isn't the only one who can write you know.

I was at Newmarket on Friday and Kempton yesterday and two different days in terms of weather and punting would be harder to imagine. Glorious sunshine on Friday but had to be taken out on a stretcher suffering from haemorrhaging wallet.

Yesterday I needed a security guard to carry the winnings which just about offset Friday's losses and I missed backing Ryan Moore this morning.

The only certain outcome I have for next year is that East Ham will be a Labour Hold.

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

It is undoubtedly a verdict on the opposition, but what we don't know yet is its permanence. Will previous Labour voters back UKIP if it means making it easier for the Tories to hold onto power? I guess it is back to the toxicity issue - the Miliband brand v the Tory one.

Whenever someone uses the word brand in a political context I stop reading.

Forward looking economic indicators look great for the UK. That relentless Labour slide I and Dan Hodges predicted is all set to continue. Saudi attempts to take out the US shale patch couldn't have been timed better.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I remember reading it and liking the logic; I'd need to check my records as to whether I followed it (which are at home rather than work).
    The Rand family have been so profitable for me all the way back to 2008.

I remember in 2008 being told to distraction on another forum that Ron Paul would be the nominee after a brokered convention, and automatically think that would appear to be unlikely.

That said, nothing will ever top the Santorum surge for amusement and profit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

It comes down to whether the GOP wants a candidate it likes or a candidate that has a chance of winning. Hillary Clinton (assuming it is she) is a formidable political operator and nobody's fool. The GOP needs to think about a sensible, balanced ticket (Hispanic for VP perhaps ?) rather than a conservative tub-thumper who will ensure the GOP loses 53-47 or similar in 2016.

• Options
    1918 was the only time (I think) that 4 parties were within a range of 20% in votes. Could it happen again in 2015?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Yep
    CiF would melt down to the centre of the planet and come out the other side - with a froth tsunami hitting Japan shortly afterwards.
    Bah, that's nothing, imagine the reaction if Sarah Palin won.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Alistair said:

Hillary Clinton (assuming it is she) is a formidable political operator and nobody's fool.
    Sounds like Gordon Brown....
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2014
    On topic, I reckon all over the country we could see reruns of Inverness, Nairn and Lochaber 1992.

Winning party gets 26%, and every else, only a gnat's fart away from winning.

http://tinyurl.com/PJAndDuncanWereUnderated
  • Options
    antifrank said:

He's zoomed about a bit since August if Oddschecker's history is to be believed. 70/1 at one point. However, I'm still liking Jeb Bush at 11/1. If he runs, which seems highly likely to me, then these will shorten.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2014

Pulpstar said:

Labour lost 13.8% vote share in Clacton. Given the Tories lost more, you could call that a 7.3% Con->Lab swing, but how meaningful is that in the circumstances? The Labour vote share went up in H&M, but a mere 0.8%. That does equate to a 7.9% Con->Lab swing.

Go back to Newark and Labour lost 4.7%, or only a 2.1% Con->Lab swing. Wynthenshawe saw Labour gain 11.2% for a 11.1% Con->Lab swing. In South Shields, they lost 1.6% for a 4.3% Con->Lab swing. And if it has any meaning at all, in Eastleigh, there was a 7.1% Con->Lab swing.
    Rod will correct me if I'm wrong but the magical, mysterious thing about by-elections is that for the purpose of two-party swing it doesn't seem to matter which parties are in the running. You might expect to see systematically more or less swing in top-two fights than in government fights against an insurgent minor party, but apparently not...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Fingers crossed for Portsmouth North.
    Penny Mordaunt had 44% of the vote, 11% ahead of Labour in 2010.
  • Options

Labour lost 13.8% vote share in Clacton. Given the Tories lost more, you could call that a 7.3% Con->Lab swing, but how meaningful is that in the circumstances?

Given how far behind UKIP are it could lead to Labour winning a whole bunch of seats in 2015 even with a lower vote share than they managed in 2010. Take Kingswood for example, where you could see a result something like this:

Labour 32.0% (-3.3)
    Conservative 29.9% (-10.5)
    UKIP 27.0% (+23.8)
    Greens 5.0% (+4.2)
    Lib Dems 4.0% (-12.8)
    Others 2.1% (-1.3)

Labour take the seat with a 3.6% swing from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    I think this sites forecasts are about right ATM.

NOM Lab biggest party

http://electionforecast.co.uk/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

NOM relies on two things: (1) how close Lab and Con are in seats won; (2) how many seats everyone else wins.

Let's consider (2). The LibDems seem likely to lose seats, but how many? Ladbrokes' favoured band is winning 21-30 seats, so 31 is a plausible number of losses -- could be more, could be fewer. (I'm only going with Ladbrokes numbers as they were easy to find!) The Greens, despite better national polling, on individual constituency polling look likely to win no seats, losing Brighton. Northern Ireland is Northern Ireland. Let's presume Plaid are flat-lining, as polls suggest. On the other hand, UKIP seem likely to gain seats, but, again, how many? 1? 2? Considerably more? Ladbrokes betting suggests 9. And the SNP seem even more likely to gain seats, but how many? Ladbrokes have 16-20 and 21-25 as joint favourite, so let's guess 21 seats, which would be a gain of 15.

So, all-other-parties could be 32 seats down at the next general election from LibDem & Green losses. Are UKIP and the SNP going to gain 33 seats between them? Current betting suggests maybe 24 gains. So, all-other-parties would be down 8 seats.

In other words, even with terrible poll ratings, Lab and Con between them could have 8 more seats next time around, which would make NOM that little bit less likely.

If UKIP only win 2 seats (seems plausible), SNP gains are more limited (let's say 8) and the LibDems lose more (let's say 37), then all-other-parties could easily be down 28 seats on the last election. That would make NOM quite a bit less likely. On the other hand, if UKIP and SNP make bigger gains, the Greens hold Brighton and LibDems stem losses, then all-other-parties could be maybe 10 seats ahead...? Which would make NOM that bit more likely.

Classy bondegezou analyses on this thread - welcome aboard, you're going to be a real asset. I think that the NOM price is way too short - people are being hypnotised by the spread of votes, but the spread of seats may well be quite narrow, as bondeg indicates. For instance, in most seats it won't affect the result in the slightest if UKIP mobilises lots of non-voters, unless they actually win.
  • Options

Will previous Labour voters back UKIP if it means making it easier for the Tories to hold onto power? I guess it is back to the toxicity issue - the Miliband brand v the Tory one.

Is Miliband now down to hoping that he can get one more seat than Cameron and then form some alliance of the left?

If not, are UKIP no longer toxic with the left? Is Farage preferable to Cameron?

The Tories may be the least worst option in some places for the left-inclined voter. It was certainly presented that way in Newark.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    stodge said:

felix said:

Yes - but it's probably untypical as a by-election - one would normally expect this to be easily taken by Labour. Despite the frothing of the kippers - we are not yet in full pre-election mode as we all know it's not until next May. The kipper surge, in my view needs to continue or it will fade - I'm not sure the timing is on their side. I don't think Miliband can win. It will probably be a messy election campaign and I'd not be surprised to see a narrow coalition win.
  • Options

@Stodgy

Buggered if I know.

My current thinking: a very plausible scenario IMHO is the Tories drop 5 seats to UKIP and around 18 marginals to Labour, but compensate with making 14 gains from the Lib Dems. That'd leave them with 297 seats (all things else considered)

Labour would likely have made some losses to the SNP so even given the pick ups from the Tories and Lib Dems would not be ahead on seats. Perhaps c.275 seats. The Lib Dems would likely be sub-30 seats, making it impossible to form a stable majority coalition with the Tories (although I wouldn't totally rule it out) and Cameron gets first dibs as the incumbent Prime Minister.

It's for that reason I backed a Conservative minority government on Ladbrokes a month ago at 10/1, which i thought a very good price. I'm starting to think that might actually now happen.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Rod will correct me if I'm wrong but the magical, mysterious thing about by-elections is that for the purpose of two-party swing it doesn't seem to matter which parties are in the running. You might expect to see systematically more or less swing in top-two fights than in government fights against an insurgent minor party, but apparently not...
    Yes, the bulk of seats are still held by Labour and Con, and it doesn't matter whether you lose votes, as in Feb '74 or 1983 - you'll gain seats if the swing is positive.
This discussion has been closed.