Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 30th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : October 30th 2014

Canvey Island East on Castle Point (Canvey Island Independent Defence)
Result of council at last election (2014): Conservatives 20, Canvey Island Independents 16, United Kingdom Independence Party 5 (No Overall Control, Conservatives short by 1)
Result of ward at last election (2012):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    first
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Thanks for this Mr. Hayfield.

A fair variety there, and the PCC vote as well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Canvey Island Independent = UKIP in disguise ?
  • Options
    #I'll be honest, didn't really fancy getting out the car in the area of Sheffield I went to have a look at the polling station in - Spital Hill. Very "diverse".
  • Options
    Also had no idea the English Dems did so well !

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,901
    If you are touring SYCC polling stations I recommend Beauchief & Greenhill, Chancet Wood Children's Centre Chancet Wood Drive.

You will love it
    Pulpstar said:

#I'll be honest, didn't really fancy getting out the car in the area of Sheffield I went to have a look at the polling station in - Spital Hill. Very "diverse".

• Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Pulpstar said:

Peter Davies (eDem) was the previous directly elected Mayor of Doncaster. Believe he's UKIP these days. Certainly most of his organization is.

Anyone know when the SYPCC result is expected?
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Peter Davies (eDem) was the previous directly elected Mayor of Doncaster. Believe he's UKIP these days. Certainly most of his organization is.

Anyone know when the SYPCC result is expected?
    Counting Tomorrow morning so with expected low turn out before noon methinks
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

shiney2 said:

Counting Tomorrow morning so with expected low turn out before noon methinks

Thanks. Shan't wait up then!
  • Options
    h just found this

SYPCC election results once available (expected 2pm in the afternoon tomorrow, Friday 31 October)

• Options
    Mr. Owls, cheers for that info.

Bit slack.
  • Options

Mr. Owls, cheers for that info.

Bit slack.

Indeed Mr Dancer.

Are you going to Mr Dicks on 21st?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, you mean venture forth to Londinium? Afraid not, old bean.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Conservatives short by one in Castle Point? Makes for an interesting race.
  • Options
    Re. 'that' poll.

Harry Smith ‏@stvharry 34 mins34 minutes ago
    @tombradby tells me MORI was so shocked by STV poll result it did the research again with a bigger sample - and got the same answer.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    Pulpstar said:

No; very local issues. Two Urban Districts (Benfleet & Canvey Island) pre '74 with no love lost between them. Forced to merge into Castle Point, in 74, which left largely Tory Benfleet with a small majority of the seats (18-15). Consequently Canvey (which had a significant Labour element) felt "badly done to". Dispute in local Labour Party resulted in a separate party, about 10 years ago..
    In spite of considerable recent development on Canvey, there's still a lot of "Island loyalty".
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    OT Are there any smarty pants out there who know if I can stream/copy my Windows Media Player autolists to a Smart TV or box?

I can play my MP3s on my telly using a USB device, but that's not very helpful with over 2000 tracks and growing to wander around.
  • Options
    Right, chaps, off for the night. Eyes are going fuzzy. Must be working too hard. Or watching too many videos about Dragon Age: Inquisition. One of the two.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Pulpstar said:

I would say UKIP-sympathetic rather than a straight proxy. Canvey Island Independents bow to no one.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Re. 'that' poll.

@tombradby tells me MORI was so shocked by STV poll result it did the research again with a bigger sample - and got the same answer.

Wow.
  • Options
    Blimey - so the outlier meme is debunked.

Re. 'that' poll.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    I thought Ukip aren't standing in council elections in Castle point because the Canvey Indys are supporting Ukip in the GE?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Re. 'that' poll.

Wow.
    Makes it a 1 in 400 chance of an outlier.
  • Options
    Golly. Golly. Wow.

I'd stuck it in the Amusing Rogue category. Now it takes on a whole new life.
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Re. 'that' poll.

Wow.
  • Options
    Hmm I think I may well make more money if Dave stays PM than if he doesn't...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited October 2014
    FPT. I have been wondering for a while now if a certain Democratic party supporting celebrity who also just happens to be a recently wed charmer might now be seriously contemplating a new career in politics?
    HYUFD said:

Intriguing US blind item from Blind Gossip 'This acting celebrity is known to be a strong supporter of the Democratic Party and has consistently put their money where their mouth is over the years. When Barack Obama was running in 2008, they were among his most vocal supporters. You may have noticed that they have quieted down significantly. Their financial contributions have slowed to a trickle, too. That’s because while they are still a Democrat, they are privately telling close family and friends that "Obama fucking betrayed me" (No, we don’t know what that’s all about); that they "can’t wait until he leaves office and takes his entire fucking pack of liars with him"; and that "Obama is the worst fucking President EVER."
    http://blindgossip.com/?p=66324

The most common guess is a recently wed charmer

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Tonight's Scottish Labour dinner must be a hoot. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.
  • Options
    isam said:

I thought Ukip aren't standing in council elections in Castle point because the Canvey Indys are supporting Ukip in the GE?

I don't think UKIP sees any advantage in challenging a sympathetic grouping, where they would probably lose. They being said, the Canvey Island Independents clearly get support beyond traditional party lines.
  • Options

Right, chaps, off for the night. Eyes are going fuzzy. Must be working too hard. Or watching too many videos about Dragon Age: Inquisition. One of the two.

Good night to you - an early night indeed
  • Options
    Plato said:

Golly. Golly. Wow.

I'd stuck it in the Amusing Rogue category. Now it takes on a whole new life.

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Re. 'that' poll.

Wow.
    That is really remarkable. We could be looking at another referendum as the price of an SNP coalition in 2015. An extraordiniarily good start for Miss Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Self doubt isn't something I'd recommend to a politico - but EdM really needs some.

Just thinking of psycho babble - I wonder what his Johari Window looks like when it comes to blind spots? Very large, I suspect.
    The Johari window is a technique created in 1955 by two American psychologists, Joseph Luft (1916–2014) and Harrington Ingham (1914–1995),[1] used to help people better understand their relationship with self and others. It is used primarily in self-help groups and corporate settings as a heuristic exercise.

When performing the exercise, subjects are given a list of 58 adjectives and pick five or six that they feel describe their own personality. Peers of the subject are then given the same list, and each pick five or six adjectives that describe the subject. These adjectives are then mapped onto a grid.[2]

Charles Handy calls this concept the Johari House with four rooms. Room 1 is the part of ourselves that we see and others see. Room 2 is the aspects that others see but we are not aware of. Room 3 is the most mysterious room in that the unconscious or subconscious part of us is seen by neither ourselves nor others. Room 4 is our private space, which we know but keep from others.

Tonight's Scottish Labour dinner must be a hoot. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    I have a feeling that if Labour lose the PCC tomorrow, and lose it badly, then pressure for Ed to step down will be enormous.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    notme said:

I have a feeling that if Labour lose the PCC tomorrow, and lose it badly, then pressure for Ed to step down will be enormous.

His intellectual superiority and zen like calmness will quell any dissent.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

That is really remarkable. We could be looking at another referendum as the price of an SNP coalition in 2015. An extraordiniarily good start for Miss Sturgeon.

59 Scottish MPs. 591 non-Scottish MPs.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    chestnut said:

How many of those might be from Jim Murphy's breakaway Scottish Labour party? He's made it pretty clear he'll tell London to stuff it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,994

Pulpstar said:

No; very local issues. Two Urban Districts (Benfleet & Canvey Island) pre '74 with no love lost between them. Forced to merge into Castle Point, in 74, which left largely Tory Benfleet with a small majority of the seats (18-15). Consequently Canvey (which had a significant Labour element) felt "badly done to". Dispute in local Labour Party resulted in a separate party, about 10 years ago..
    In spite of considerable recent development on Canvey, there's still a lot of "Island loyalty".
    Labour actually won Castle Point in 1997, and held the Council from 1995-2003. But, now they've vanished. It"ll be a straight Con vs UKIP fight.
  • Options
    Twitter
    euan mccolm @euanmccolm · 8h 8 hours ago
    jim murphy's scottish labour leadership campaign will be run by msps jenny marra and james kelly.

euan mccolm @euanmccolm · 8h 8 hours ago
    jim murphy's campaign slogan: "leading labour, changing scotland."

euan mccolm @euanmccolm · 11h 11 hours ago
    jim murphy spent much of yesterday meeting msps. he has the support of, among others, dugdale, marra, baillie. basically, the smarter ones.

euan mccolm @euanmccolm · 22h 22 hours ago
    if any party knows that bringing a cocky big-hitter up from london can pay dividends, it's the snp.

Alan Roden @AlanRoden · 22h 22 hours ago
    Already a notable difference in tone: Findlay and Boyack talk about reforming Labour. Murphy talks about being next First Minister.

i wonder if blair mcdougall's had a call about the scottish labour general secretary's job, yet.

And finally......
    neil findlay's heart's not in this. #scotland2014
  • Options
    I remain perplexed by this behaviour. How has he got so far with so little self-awareness?

I remember an excellent article about him from years ago by Mark Ferguson when Northern Lefties were taking the piss on exactly this point. They were the canaries in the coal mine and no one was listening. Some still aren't - but there aren't many left.

notme said:

His intellectual superiority and zen like calmness will quell any dissent.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    In the event that we get 50 SNP MPs (don't think we do but anyway), it would likely be impossible for an administration to formed without their support.

It's an impossible choice for them, failure to vote down a minority tory queens speech would open them up to all manner of attack from the left.

Putting miliband into power, whilst extracting a massive payoff, would kill Labour stone dead in england possibly split the labour party in half

We could easily end up with something like this

NI Unionists 9
    Ni Republicans 8
    PC 3
    SNP 50
    LD 25
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    UKIP 11
    Lab 254
    Cons 289

Anyone care to form a stable administration with that result ?
  • Options
    Breaking off from my holiday.

My Labour activist friend in Sheffield reports the following.

There was higher than expected postal returns, which was accepted by all was a good sign for Labour.

Labour also made a major effort in the last 72 hours to GOTV.

However, he thinks Labour has lost it on the day and 2nd prefs will push UKIP over the line.

Note: He is a glass half empty kind of guy.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    FPT.

It's a long time since I remember a thread where PB Tories have behaved like this. A sort of giddy arrogance.

As waiters have (irritatingly) taken to saying these days "Enjoy!"
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

OT Are there any smarty pants out there who know if I can stream/copy my Windows Media Player autolists to a Smart TV or box?

I can play my MP3s on my telly using a USB device, but that's not very helpful with over 2000 tracks and growing to wander around.

I've not tried this myself. But it looks do-able.

"Launch Windows Media Player (switch to Libraries view if necessary), click the Stream drop-down menu at the top, and select the option Automatically allow devices to play my media. Enabling this option essentially turns the PC into a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)-compatible Digital Media Server. The remote systems or devices accessing the files operate as Digital Media Players."

"First we powered up the Samsung Blu-ray player without a disc inserted, which brought up its main interface, where settings and apps are available. We confirmed that the player was connected to the network (in this case wirelessly), and that it had an IP address assigned to it in the network settings menu. We then accessed the Devices menu, at which point the player scanned the network looking for a DLNA Digital Media Server. Afterward it was simply a matter of selecting the PC/DMS from the Devices menu and navigating through the Music, Photos, and Video folders to find the files we wanted to play."

(very annoying audio advert on the link below.)
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/245888/how_to_stream_digital_media_from_your_windows_7_pc.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/stream-your-media-to-devices-and-computers-using-windows-media-player
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

There was higher than expected postal returns, which was accepted by all was a good sign for Labour.

However, he thinks Labour has lost it on the day and 2nd prefs will push UKIP over the line.

I bet there were.

• Options

In the event that we get 50 SNP MPs (don't think we do but anyway), it would likely be impossible for an administration to formed without their support.

It's an impossible choice for them, failure to vote down a minority tory queens speech would open them up to all manner of attack from the left.

Putting miliband into power, whilst extracting a massive payoff, would kill Labour stone dead in england possibly split the labour party in half

We could easily end up with something like this

NI Unionists 9
    Ni Republicans 8
    PC 3
    SNP 50
    LD 25
    PC 3
    Grn 1
    UKIP 11
    Lab 254
    Cons 289

Anyone care to form a stable administration with that result ?

There will not be 25 English LibDem mps.
  • Options

I bet there were.

All from the same address. Mr Ali and his forty cousins.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959

chestnut said:

How many of those might be from Jim Murphy's breakaway Scottish Labour party? He's made it pretty clear he'll tell London to stuff it.
    Where, please? I'd be very interested to see just what he said.
  • Options
    Twitter
    The SSP ‏@The_SSP_ 12m12 minutes ago
    SSP loud and proud tonight outside the Labour Gala Dinner, letting them know exactly what we think of them!
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    A seasonal comment, but not topical:
    Apparently the carving of Halloween turnips is a tradition in Ireland.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/october/turnip-lanterns.html

I wonder, were they used to ward off spirits?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Roger said:

FPT.

It's a long time since I remember a thread where PB Tories have behaved like this. A sort of giddy arrogance.

Still in denial - off you go to Old Compton street where real England is having a gay old time.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Labour actually won Castle Point in 1997, and held the Council from 1995-2003. But, now they've vanished. It"ll be a straight Con vs UKIP fight.
    Labour vanishing in Scotland, Rotherham, Essex....
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    isam said:

Yep. UKIP stand aside and support in Locals, in return for the same in the General. Given the Canvey Island Independents don't really want the MP, but exist to have influence on the local council, it's a smart deal for both sides. Indy's get their dominance of the Island's councillors reinforced, UKIP get a major boost from a very powerful group in a decent slug of the constituency come 2015.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    Roger said:

FPT.

Never mind "enjoy" - the irritating north-americanism of saying "perfect" when you place your order is creeping in over here. I thought I'd left it behind in Montreal, and then up it pops in Leeds!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

chestnut said:

Listen to his radio interviews earlier. He made it very clear that he'd be his own man, and not take any orders from London.
  • Options
    Sarwar announces he'll step down as SLAB deputy at the gala dinner.
    Looks like Kezia Dugdale will be Murphy's Holyrood catspaw (if it all goes to plan).
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    I see another newly fabricated political myth has crashed and burned (that UKIPs advance has made the country more pro-European) and all it took was a bill for £1.7 billion.

Voters shift sharply against EU membership

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/10/30/voters-shift-sharply-against-eu-membership/

Brussels the gift that keeps on giving.....

Looking at the regional splits on both the EU (with Scotland) and Immigration issues London is now seriously out of step
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959

Carnyx said:

chestnut said:

Listen to his radio interviews earlier. He made it very clear that he'd be his own man, and not take any orders from London.
    Ah, thank you.

• Options
    Toms said:

I used to have a turnip lantern every Halloween when I was young here in the north east. I hadn't even seen a pumpkin until I was in my twenties.
  • Options

Poll station traffic looks to be light.

"Clerk at my Polling Station said they've seen less than 100 people since 7am. That 14.5% turnout from 2012 is a pie dream"

Gawain Towler ‏@GawainTowler 1h1 hour ago
    @apmumford @GoodwinMJ that's good compared with what I have seen, sounds pretty hyperactive

twitter.com/apmumford/status/527898530107916288
  • Options
    Regarding the comments about Old Compton St and postal voting, are we to assume homophobia and racism are alive and well on this forum this evening?
  • Options

Regarding the comments about Old Compton St and postal voting, are we to assume homophobia and racism are alive and well on this forum this evening?

The Last Boy Scout was a terrible film. You should be ashamed of yourself for bringing it up.
  • Options

"Clerk at my Polling Station said they've seen less than 100 people since 7am. That 14.5% turnout from 2012 is a pie dream"

@apmumford @GoodwinMJ that's good compared with what I have seen, sounds pretty hyperactive

Easy ukip win.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

Your avatar looks familiar!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Easy ukip win.
    Surely UKIP need turnout to be high rather than low? Labour are going to be more organised on postal votes than UKIP.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

I used to have a turnip lantern every Halloween when I was young here in the north east. I hadn't even seen a pumpkin until I was in my twenties.
    Pumpkins, I believe, were originally native to North America. So maybe the, apparently widespread, practice of turnip carving was adapted to pumpkins by settlers in the States. Certainly pumpkins are bigger, if not necessarily better, and jolly good eating.
  • Options
    Yes!

Thanx tons for that - will try it.

Plato said:

I've not tried this myself. But it looks do-able.

"Launch Windows Media Player (switch to Libraries view if necessary), click the Stream drop-down menu at the top, and select the option Automatically allow devices to play my media. Enabling this option essentially turns the PC into a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)-compatible Digital Media Server. The remote systems or devices accessing the files operate as Digital Media Players."

"First we powered up the Samsung Blu-ray player without a disc inserted, which brought up its main interface, where settings and apps are available. We confirmed that the player was connected to the network (in this case wirelessly), and that it had an IP address assigned to it in the network settings menu. We then accessed the Devices menu, at which point the player scanned the network looking for a DLNA Digital Media Server. Afterward it was simply a matter of selecting the PC/DMS from the Devices menu and navigating through the Music, Photos, and Video folders to find the files we wanted to play."

(very annoying audio advert on the link below.)
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/245888/how_to_stream_digital_media_from_your_windows_7_pc.html

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/stream-your-media-to-devices-and-computers-using-windows-media-player
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT.

One would assume that it should be SNP supporters celebrating, rather than Conservatives.
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT.

Don't be downhearted, roger. ed can still win on a visionary ticket of guaranteed housing for all new asylum-seekers, and nationalising the RNLI and redeploying it off Algeria. Think how silly the PBtories will look then.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    edited October 2014
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Much to everyone's surprise, including the winner's. Mind, the Tory MP , Spink, was a prat of the first order. Local Tory officers that I knew came to actively dislike him. And that was before he defected to UKIP!

Must go back there and find a few old friends!
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Your point being Reggie?

Old Compton St is the main thoroughfare of London's gay quarter - you have been there haven't you, being a proper nawty Cockernee and all that, me old China.

• Options
    RobD said:

Your avatar looks familiar!
    I have always used this avatar. I am considering using a scout logo in future.
  • Options

Oh dear that would be a terrible result for LAB if your friend is correct.

I will be very surprised. I thought a narrow LAB win myself.

Did you have a 2nd preference?
  • Options

The Last Boy Scout was a terrible film. You should be ashamed of yourself for bringing it up.
    I have never seen it!
  • Options

Aren't there boy (and girl) scouts in 1984 who are trained in thoughtcrime detection?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    Can anyone find a betting market for the South Yorkshire poll? I would like to back Ukip given the awful turnout
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited October 2014

Toms said:

Had turnip lanterns made at Halloween further NW, though @malcolmg would remind me if I confused them with swedes. Don't remember trick or treating.
  • Options
    I'd have no idea how to carve a turnip lantern, they're so small. We are talking about veg with orangish flesh and hard?

We called turnips swedes back in Newcastle. And @malcolmg‌ calls them English - so it all gets a bit confusing.

Toms said:

• Options

I certainly hope so.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Aren't there boy (and girl) scouts in 1984 who are trained in thoughtcrime detection?

The Mr Ali comment was more written than thought, Ishmael
  • Options

I have never seen it!
    Then an appropriate penance would be for you to watch it.

• Options

Your point being Reggie?

Old Compton St is the main thoroughfare of London's gay quarter - you have been there haven't you, being a proper nawty Cockernee and all that, me old China.

I am certainly not a Cockney, Mr Watcher. Did you not find the "gay old time" and "Mr Ali" comments rather sinister?
  • Options
    I'd argue that 51st State was worse. I was stopped by a random plod check-point and asked what I'd been doing that evening.

My mind was blank - I told the officer I'd been to the pictures and no memory of what I'd seen only 15mins before. My bewilderment at this revelation convinced him I wasn't drunk, just baffled.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I certainly hope so.
    Why would you hope for such a thing?
  • Options
    If Carlsberg did defenestration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29820483#?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Will Labour bite the bullet and force Ed to step down, before more rats leave his sinking ship?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

The Junior Anti-Sex League.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited October 2014
    And Jane Collins the UKIP MEP and candidate for Rotherham has managed to tweet something potential defamatory about a Sheffield Labour activist and crucially the Labour Candidate for Police Commissioner, this could run and run.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Re. 'that' poll.

Wow.
    It'd be a 1 in 1600 of both being an outlier on the topside.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Toms said:

We always used turnips as well. Pumpkins were for fancy american TV. Every year we carved a turnip and went 'halloweening'. We only accepted cold hard cash, none of this trick or tweet poundland candy for us.

(we were expected to sing though)
  • Options
    Plato said:

I'd have no idea how to carve a turnip lantern, they're so small. We are talking about veg with orangish flesh and hard?

We called turnips swedes back in Newcastle. And @malcolmg‌ calls them English - so it all gets a bit confusing.

Toms said:

Swedes??? Posh Geordie or what? Never heard of a Swede until I went to Uni.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

I'd argue that 51st State was worse. I was stopped by a random plod check-point and asked what I'd been doing that evening.

My mind was blank - I told the officer I'd been to the pictures and no memory of what I'd seen only 15mins before. My bewilderment at this revelation convinced him I wasn't drunk, just baffled.

You've clearly got an excellent in-built quality filter somewhere!

I think my worst entertainment experience would be an outdoor version of 'taming of the shrew', that for reasons no-one understood, had been set in the confederate states of america.

• Options
    I've just been to vote in a solid Conservative area of Barnsley (yes we do have one!). Turnout is approaching 10% here, however I was told that a number of Barnsley polling stations have only seen 3-5 people all day - make of that what you will!
  • Options

Plato said:

Toms said:

Again, the same. What is now known as swedes, we called turnips.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/TurnipJackolantern.jpg
  • Options

Toms said:

Ditto in Sunderland.

Your point being Reggie?

I am certainly not a Cockney, Mr Watcher. Did you not find the "gay old time" and "Mr Ali" comments rather sinister?
    Oh dear bobafett - continually changing your ID has got you all muddled. Our leftie friend roger thinks Old Compton street is a typical London street from which Labour will stride to victory in 2015 overwhelming the tartan army/middle england kippers and any other pervs who might challenge them. As a gay man myself I'm allowed the gay reference, no need to get me arrested and hauled off to the cells old boy.
  • Options

And Jane Collins the UKIP MEP and candidate for Rotherham has managed to tweet something potential defamatory about a Sheffield Labour activist and crucially the Labour Candidate for Police Commissioner, this could run and run.

The funny side is the sudden focus on her spelling & grammar by a self styled Labour tweeter.

• Options

Sean_F said:

I certainly hope so.
    Why would you hope for such a thing?
    It makes the thread more fun.

• Options
    Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 7m7 minutes ago
    To the Labour spindoctor who today dismissed Ipsos Mori's Scotland numbers as "just one poll", I have good news...

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 7m7 minutes ago
    At 10pm tonight The Times publishes a YouGov / Scotland poll, including how Scots wd vote in a general election. Results first here.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    Sean F

"I certainly hope so."

LOL!
  • Options
    LOL
    Ishmael_X said:

Roger said:

FPT.

Don't be downhearted, roger. ed can still win on a visionary ticket of guaranteed housing for all new asylum-seekers, and nationalising the RNLI and redeploying it off Algeria. Think how silly the PBtories will look then.

• Options

Plato said:

Toms said:

Yep - we called them turnips in Sunderland - that's the posh city just south of Newcastle:)
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

I do wonder whether a decent postal vote return will help Labour this time.

Normally parties would expect a good loyal vote among postal votes as those are the people you try and sign up but the circumstances now are such that it might just make it an easier route by which to protest.
This discussion has been closed.