Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker, why not delurk, It Only Takes A Minute to delurk, I’m sure you’ll Shine with your contributions. Never Forget, we were all lurkers once.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    22 looks a bit ominous. Not advising any long term bets then?
  • Options
    Does number 13 have something to do with United's defence this season?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

22 looks a bit ominous. Not advising any long term bets then?

Oops, fixed now.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    FPT: Norm said:
    Well they will presumably lose any seat where the sitting Lib Dem is retiring along with at least half their Scottish contingent and more generally where Labour is running second. Even so Simon Hughes will still be ok I imagine. Lynne Featherstone maybe not. The unknown is whether any Lib Dem/Tory marginals will fall where the LD incumbent is in place.

I suspect they will be ok in those circumstances. What I would like to see in 2015 are some really bizarre results, like a safe Tory seat with solid LD second place being, of all things, a LD gain because of a UKIP surge, or the Greens snatching some from Labour in similar circumstances. Could be some interesting results, but it'll probably be duller than we imagine.
  • Options
    Did no one write an article today on pig-dog traitors?
  • Options

Did no one write an article today on pig-dog traitors?

Later on this week.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well they will presumably lose any seat where the sitting Lib Dem is retiring along with at least half their Scottish contingent and more generally where Labour is running second. Even so Simon Hughes will still be ok I imagine. Lynne Featherstone maybe not. The unknown is whether any Lib Dem/Tory marginals will fall where the LD incumbent is in place.

I suspect they will be ok in those circumstances. What I would like to see in 2015 are some really bizarre results, like a safe Tory seat with solid LD second place being, of all things, a LD gain because of a UKIP surge, or the Greens snatching some from Labour in similar circumstances. Could be some interesting results, but it'll probably be duller than we imagine.

The big changes will be at the following election.

Economic reality has to be felt first before full anger with the Establishment parties manifests itself.
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    edited October 2014
    http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/uploads/2014/39/c5f316959f4e0bcbb2b8341f57d5c13482a641e3.jpg

A year ago fracking was poorly understood by 99% of the British population. It's poorly understood by 90% now. As the proposed drilling sites and licences proliferate over 66% of the country, there is a great awakening taking place. The only political avenue open to opponents of fracking/shale gas is The Green Party. Hence the surge which can only grow bigger.

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/green-party-gets-huge-electoral-boost.html
  • Options
    9. I'm still a little confused on the preferred method of attack against the Tories when it comes to the economy. Sometimes they are incompetents who utterly failed in their original plans to reduce the deficit, in essence not cutting enough apparently, and other times they are savagely cutting for no reason causing immense harm. The predictions of economists are clearly no help, but the former seems like an easier sell as an attack, not least because it is easier to believe in incompetence rather than maliciousness, which is what seems to be between the lines of the latter attack.

5. I remain utterly unconvinced by predictions of the Fixed Terms Act being so disastrous. Half the things people claimed was terrible about it, in terms of political behaviours it would provoke, already happen, and a lot of the rest were things that, in time, politicians will learn to sort out or will be punished electorally for so there's no need to worry so much. If the country elects a precarious balance next time, implicitly accepting what comes after, then that will have to be dealt with and might well be hard and lead to some difficulties. But it isn't frightening.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Polling 7% and fifth place is absolutely shocking. Why on earth is Nick Clegg safe?

It is bizarre.

While it would be absurd of those who remain in the party after the slaughter in 2015 to place all the blame on Clegg and his cohorts, easier for them to do so or at least imply it to be so if they wait until after the terrible day than to make a move beforehand, perhaps do a little better, but also perhaps mean a new 'clean slate' leader could not pick up the pieces. I presume.

I still think they'll wind up with around 25MPs, maybe 30, but that the vote has continued to show no increase and in fact the trend in the polls has been of a further decline, has made it much much harder that a reasonable showing can be had by the LDs. Sure maybe this one is not to be believed, but it certainly is not as easy to dismiss as it would have been even in what seemed the doldrums 12 months ago, and that speaks volumes.
    As I keep saying, places like Yeovil that should be safe Libdem seats are not. In the 2014 Euros Libdems were third, 5,000 behind both Tories and UKIP, and only 5,000 ahead of Greens.

Thats an awful lot to ask of an incumbency vote to overcome. Factor in the greens standing (which they didn't in 2010) and you are looking at a valiant close defeat like Shirley Williams had in Crosby in the '83 election.

In comparison, in the 2009 Euros, Libdems came second, only 2,000 votes behind the Tories, an easy hurdle for an incumbent, then untainted by the expenses business, to overcome in 2010.

If this polling dosen't improve, and particularly if the Greens continue to eat into their votes, Libdems are going to go to the next parliament in a minibus.
    There have been 3 council by elections in Yeovil since this year's Euros , the average Lib Dem vote share was almost 75% .
    Oh come off it Mark. Yeovil Town is not Yeovil Constituency. Those three by elections are in Yeovil Town Council wards, not even District council wards, and, two of them were in the same ward. Furthermore, the party wasn't even stated on the election result (and probably not the ballot paper either, as is common with Town Council elections).

All that shows is that the Libdems are still attracting votes in Urban Yeovil. About as surprising as Labour winning the Manchester Central byelection by a huge margin not so long ago.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    7, is brilliant, how dare the Tories highlight how Wales is screwing up "our" NHS, the bastards.
  • Options
    I stopped reading 9 early on when I came across the following sentence:

"Between 2003 and 2007 the deficit rose, but at 3.2% of GDP a year it was manageable."

A 3.2% deficit at the peak of an unsustainable boom was "manageable". It would make you weep. Labour and their supporters have so much to learn.
  • Options
    10. I assume it is every time, like cutting waste and red tape.

14. Turkey will never be in the EU, surely? Has there been any progress on it in recent years, even if we were to assume the political stumbling blocks were overcome?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    Tapestry said:

A year ago fracking was poorly understood by 99% of the British population. It's poorly understood by 90% now. As the proposed drilling sites and licences proliferate over 66% of the country, there is a great awakening taking place. The only political avenue open to opponents of fracking/shale gas is The Green Party. Hence the surge which can only grow bigger.

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/green-party-gets-huge-electoral-boost.html

A few powercuts during the winter will concentrate minds on that one.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    DavidL said:

"Between 2003 and 2007 the deficit rose, but at 3.2% of GDP a year it was manageable."

A 3.2% deficit at the peak of an unsustainable boom was "manageable". It would make you weep. Labour and their supporters have so much to learn.

Particularly as it was being mitigated by taxes brought in from massive consumer and corporate borrowing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Particularly as it was being mitigated by taxes brought in from massive consumer and corporate borrowing.
    Yep. Do they never play "what happened next"?
  • Options
    Fellaini scores! (Is this a good thing in the longer term?)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    kle4 said:

Incumbency might not be such a trump card.

2014 local elections: "on average the drop in the Lib-Dem vote in wards located in the constituency of an incumbent Lib-Dem MP was, at 13 points, much the same as elsewhere."

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/messages-from-the-voters-the-2014-local-and-european-elections
  • Options
    Paul. The power cuts are being needlessly created as part of the agenda, I agree. Agenda 21. Have you come across that yet? I don't believe Didcot was an accident.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yes, it means you play him more often.

Oh, you weren't asking me as a Liverpool fan were you?
  • Options

DavidL said:

No. Maybe Liverpool could be conned into buying him.
  • Options
    Tapestry said:

Paul. The power cuts are being needlessly created as part of the agenda, I agree. Agenda 21. Have you come across that yet? I don't believe Didcot was an accident.

Doubt it. Power cuts this winter would be the biggest disaster for the Green movement since David Ickes interview on Wogan.

It would be perfectly obvious that the cuts were down to a barmy green policy forcing closure of perfectly good coal stations like Didcot A and not building suitable coal fired replacements, while Germany build 30 new coal fired stations.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

£35 million for Carroll, £20 million for Downing and £16 million for Balotelli, we've use up our quota of duff purchases for the decade.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

£35 million for Carroll, £20 million for Downing and £16 million for Balotelli, we've use up our quota of duff purchases for the decade.
    Don't forget Keane.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Good piece putting Ebola into perspective here: http://nsnbc.me/2014/10/20/ebola-know-cdc/

(not the 'Ebola is a conspiracy' story)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/didcot-power-station-blaze-fire-service.html

The details are a bit curious. Why was no alarm raised from the power station, but from a member of the public looking out of their home? I'm with you on coal, Paul. Germany and France have banned fracking/shale gas. Only Britain is being set up for destruction of our economy and our environment.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Next up I hear is £50m for Bobby Sol.
  • Options
    I love football.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    DavidL said:

Public spending or deficit didn't cause the global economic crisis, private sector bankers did.

Tories have peddled the myth as cover for ideological cuts and shrinking the State.

It also means Gideon and Co have failed to address our real economic problems, like our rotten banks and private sector big business, as well as abject Tory failure on the deficit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited October 2014
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Don't forget Keane.
    We only made a £4million pound loss on Keane.

Not bad compared to the £20m we lost on Carroll or £14m we lost on Downing

The most staggering bit of LFC spending in recent years.

We were paying £100k a week in wages EACH for Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    DavidL said:

If small deficits aren't manageable, why has the UK run a deficit in virtually all of the past 150 years (including most of the 1980s/90s Tory government)?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Tapestry said:

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/didcot-power-station-blaze-fire-service.html

The details are a bit curious. Why was no alarm raised from the power station, but from a member of the public looking out of their home? I'm with you on coal, Paul. Germany and France have banned fracking/shale gas. Only Britain is being set up for destruction of our economy and our environment.

That's because both Germany and France have leaders who, whilst often wrong and always working within the constraints of realpolitik, are fundamentally 'pro' Germany and France. We have a US mole.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'm still annoyed at his miss on Saturday
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'm still annoyed at his miss on Saturday
    but not surprised surely?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    The horrid and toady Barroso seems to be debunked. "Horrid and toady" is just the way I think of the man. Has he been debunked tough? I think no.

Europe has much to offer, however if it's merely the clownish Barroso's then lets be rid of them.

• Options
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

Public spending or deficit didn't cause the global economic crisis, private sector bankers did.

Tories have peddled the myth as cover for ideological cuts and shrinking the State.

It also means Gideon and Co have failed to address our real economic problems, like our rotten banks and private sector big business, as well as abject Tory failure on the deficit.
    I remain confused - if deficits are not in themselves bad if they are manageable, what does it matter that the Tories failed to reduce it, and if we are to condemn them for that failure (I do), presumably we should have had much harsher cuts or tax rises, as growth alone would not cover it. Labour would not sanction the former, and electorally would probably be cagey on the latter, so while I could criticise the Tories for failing on the deficit, the opposition cannot if they want to keep to the line about how harsh the cuts have been, so it can only be individuals and fringe groups making that argument, and who will have to condemn Ed M when he starts cutting too.
  • Options
    If Di Maria is injured, lucky Man U has an easy run of games coming up....
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Bah I'm too tired to read all of them.
    The most important that are worth anything are No.13-16, and for pure trash entertainment No.18.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

There has not been an effort to "shrink the state".

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/06/wholl-tell-the-anti-austerity-marchers-that-government-spending-is-at-a-record-high/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

I remain confused - if deficits are not in themselves bad if they are manageable, what does it matter that the Tories failed to reduce it, and if we are to condemn them for that failure (I do), presumably we should have had much harsher cuts or tax rises, as growth alone would not cover it. Labour would not sanction the former, and electorally would probably be cagey on the latter, so while I could criticise the Tories for failing on the deficit, the opposition cannot if they want to keep to the line about how harsh the cuts have been, so it can only be individuals and fringe groups making that argument, and who will have to condemn Ed M when he starts cutting too.
    I think the argument is that, on top of the social consequences of the cuts, the Tories couldn't even succeed on their own terms (cutting the deficit and preserving so-called "economic credibility").

That said, I agree with you, I cringe when I see Labour people attacking the Tories for "not cutting the deficit quickly enough". Not only is it the morally wrong stance for any left-wing party to take, it's also stupid politicially because they are simply NEVER going to convince people that Labour can be more ruthless when it comes to spending cuts than the Tories, no matter how incompetent the latter are. A battle Labour COULD certainly win is on who could help people most, but they can't fight that battle while they're also fighting a "tough on spending" battle (since obviously helping people will cost money), and inexplicably they have this year decided to choose to fight the battle they'll never win.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Hugh said:

DavidL said:

If you are spending money in the good times you don't have the savings you need in the bad times.

Of course Gordon Brown was so sure of no more boom or bust he was happy to borrow money all the time...
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2014
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

If small deficits aren't manageable, why has the UK run a deficit in virtually all of the past 150 years (including most of the 1980s/90s Tory government)?
    Does anybody seriously think that 3.2% is a "small" deficit, particularly during a period of strong economic growth? Even among those who don't go in for the Keynesian "save during the boom and spend in the bust" theme?

Sometimes good economic growth can leave people feeling more comfortable about the size of the deficit because the national debt doesn't budge much as a share of GDP (as the economy grows, the denominator increases and the fraction decreases). And that share is the thing that really matters more than the deficit does, because that's what the repayments on, so that's what has to be kept manageable.

The problem comes when your economy tanks, and then you're left nursing an enlarged deficit (lower tax receipts, higher social spending, maybe higher departmental spending if you can afford to run a stimulus package) as well as a decreased denominator that makes your debt share look much larger than it used to. It's the "we'll find out who's swimming with no pants on when the tide goes out" moment.

A possible game-changer for our politics and economics, though possibly the realisation of it would be fairly far-flung into the future, is if historical rates of growth transpire to be over-optimistic for our long-run forecast. What the economists call "secular stagnation" would sink the idea that persistent deficits don't have much long-run effect on the share of the national debt. There are intelligent people looking at the current state of the bond market and whose reading into the situation is very far from optimistic.
  • Options

Does anybody seriously think that 3.2% is a "small" deficit, particularly during a period of strong economic growth?.

Yes, it is small by historic standards for the UK.

I'll repeat: if a 3% deficit is such an unimaginable nightmare, why have we run one for most of the past 150 years without any disastrous consequences?
  • Options
    eek said:

If you are spending money in the good times you don't have the savings you need in the bad times.

Of course Gordon Brown was so sure of no more boom or bust he was happy to borrow money all the time...

One of my main warning signs I look out for in a politician facing a dangerous gulf between his feeling of omniscience and his actual impotence, is someone who declares they now understand and can control forces far greater than themselves, greater even than the British state.

Gordon Brown was neither the first politician to think he could predict and control the economic cycle, nor sadly will he be the last, but the bloke I feel sorry for is King Canute who always gets dragged into these analogies despite refuting the idea he could master the tide...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited October 2014
    1. With great power comes great responsibility.

2. EV4EL NOW!

3. Swingback Baby!

4. Lib-Dems = LOL!

5. Fixed term parliament act won't last the next Parliament, IMO.

6. Bookie's rock.

7. Labour lies about what the Tories are doing to the NHS to distract us from the disaster they are inflicting on Wales.

8. How long before the "mansion tax" covers most middle earning families?

9 . Britain doesn't "DO" social conflict. We save that nonsense for the French!

10. Agreed.

11. UKIP on the gravy train as much as anyone? Who knew!

12. ?

13. I don't mind The Pole's personally.

14. The Turks will have to improve the HR record.

15. The French have always done whatever the hell they want.

16. We need more "Deep Throat's" in prison not less.

17. David who?

18. ?

19, 20, 21. Where DO you get this stuff from?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2014
    FPT

They're up and down a bit, but overall trends are clear.

Really like those plots. Did you put them together?

Thanks for the links to them anyway.
    Yes.

If you want to create your own plots, then go here...

http://www.nojam.com/demo/ukpolls

1. Select the options you want (e.g. date range, poll org, etc) and press SEARCH.

2. Once the results are shown press CHART (on right-hand side).

3. Change the colours (they are generic so may not match political colours) and also un-tick any series you don't want to see on the chart and press UPDATE.

If you copy the address/url at the top of your browser it will give a link directly to that chart (with all the search options/colours).

• Options
    edited October 2014

eek said:

the bloke I feel sorry for is King Canute who always gets dragged into these analogies despite refuting the idea he could master the tide...
    Hah. Better to be remembered incorrectly than not at all perhaps?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I have a passion and great knowledge about history.

I know the rough dates of when things happen.

Plus every proud Englishman like moi, knows the exact dates of when we give the Frogs a damn good hiding.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

I think the argument is that, on top of the social consequences of the cuts, the Tories couldn't even succeed on their own terms (cutting the deficit and preserving so-called "economic credibility").

That said, I agree with you, I cringe when I see Labour people attacking the Tories for "not cutting the deficit quickly enough". Not only is it the morally wrong stance for any left-wing party to take, it's also stupid politicially because they are simply NEVER going to convince people that Labour can be more ruthless when it comes to spending cuts than the Tories, no matter how incompetent the latter are. A battle Labour COULD certainly win is on who could help people most, but they can't fight that battle while they're also fighting a "tough on spending" battle (since obviously helping people will cost money), and inexplicably they have this year decided to choose to fight the battle they'll never win.
    The usual argument made by Labour (and US Republicans) as a smokescreen is " they borrowed more in four years than we did in 13 (8). ". That's strictly true and utterly misleading.

If you inherit a deficit of 10%+ of GDP, you'll borrow heavily, unless you impose absolutely horrendous public spending cuts.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Does anybody seriously think that 3.2% is a "small" deficit, particularly during a period of strong economic growth?.

I'll repeat: if a 3% deficit is such an unimaginable nightmare, why have we run one for most of the past 150 years without any disastrous consequences?
    Have you actually looked at the data? It's not "small" by UK standards. It's a lot lower than the peaks of the budget deficit, but that's because the distribution is positively skewed by the economic shocks that come again every so often. The deficit hasn't consistently been above the 3.2% mark. Sometimes it's far higher, but other times it's been lower, in which context the 3.2% can't count as "small". What was especially unusual - and unwise - was for the deficit to be so high during a period of growth. Imagine what would happen to it if the predicted continuation of that growth might turn out to end in a recession instead? Or as it happens, we don't have to imagine, because we can look at a graph instead. That last bit really isn't a pretty sight at all.

(An interesting counterfactual: had Gordon Brown kept spending levels lower by about 2% of GDP, which would be far less painful than cutting them now, we'd probably have largely exited the zone of "austerity politics" by now. As it happens we've got years left to run...)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Coming late to the debate after a stint of parenting, I think there is a simpler and sadder explanation for Matthew Parris's increasingly bizarre columns. He's past it. He's losing it. He is, after all, in his mid-60s.

If he's not actually going ga-ga (and I hope that ain't the case), he's definitely run out of vim and ideas and is reduced to recycled sneering, disguised as opinionating.

You can imagine how tempting it must be for a tired and ageing columnist - Oh God, I have to fill another page - I know, I'll just write something that annoys the UKIP voters! Then at least you are guaranteed attention, making you seem relevant and interesting, even if your argument is actually absurd.

I have sympathy for him. Having done 18 months of blogging I can't imagine how one might write consistently interesting political columns for THIRTY YEARS.

A life sentence of being paid for being opinionated?

I can think of worse punishments.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

The deficit wasn't a problem pre-crash. It only became a problem after the private sector bankers wrecked the global economy.

That's why the Tory failure on the deficit and economy / living standards is so serious.

Spending money on public services didn't cause our economic problems, the bankers who caused the global crisis, and politicians like Cameron and Osborne who failed to learn lessons from it, are the ones to blame.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

Coming late to the debate after a stint of parenting, I think there is a simpler and sadder explanation for Matthew Parris's increasingly bizarre columns. He's past it. He's losing it. He is, after all, in his mid-60s.

If he's not actually going ga-ga (and I hope that ain't the case), he's definitely run out of vim and ideas and is reduced to recycled sneering, disguised as opinionating.

You can imagine how tempting it must be for a tired and ageing columnist - Oh God, I have to fill another page - I know, I'll just write something that annoys the UKIP voters! Then at least you are guaranteed attention, making you seem relevant and interesting, even if your argument is actually absurd.

I have sympathy for him. Having done 18 months of blogging I can't imagine how one might write consistently interesting political columns for THIRTY YEARS.

He comes across on telly as a weedy little effeminate wimp who gets some kind of secret sexual kick from being the object of venom from what he might consider "rough trade".

I visited Clacton a couple of times during the campaign, and it's not even that bad.., unless he went to Jaywick, which is so appallingly bad that it would take a heart of stone to criticise the people there rather than feel immense sympathy for them

Actually, despite being UKIP's poster boy so to speak, I think Carswell needs to have a f*cking good look at the state of that place and ask why after 9 years as the MP there, nothing has been done.. makes Dagenham look like Knightsbridge
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Danny565 said:

Incidentally, if you want a substantive rather than slightly snarky answer (for which I apologise), and so long as you can understand I am unable to fully accept the original premise of your question (that 3.2% is "small"): the fundamental reason we've been able to run deficits but nothing too disastrous has happened so far, is exactly what I outlined in my answer. So you might want to re-read that.

Basically, though the national debt has racked up, GDP has climbed too. They are out of sync in the short run (generally the GDP going down happens when the debt is going up most sharply!) but in the long run they've both been growing exponentially. So long as the national debt to GDP ratio has stayed within tolerable limits, we have been able to afford the necessary repayments. The reason economists (and generally, politicians of all stripes) are wary of persistently high deficits is that as that ratio gets out of control, the repayments become less and less affordable. There are quite a few economists who think that once the debt share becomes greater than a certain share of GDP then economic growth tends to slow down, which makes things even more difficult if you end up in that situation, though this claim seems to be controversial.

UK demographics don't suggest we are going to undergo the same kind of population surge (and accompanying economic boost) that helped grapple down the national debt share post-Napoleonic Wars and later, to a lesser extent, post-WWI. And there are some warning signs that even future economic growth per capita seems to be on a more depressed path than the historical norm, which is also going to be - to say the least - unhelpful. If we are going to undergo secular stagnation, then running a budget deficit anywhere near 3% is going to come to be seen as pretty much a cardinal sin.

Of course the big question is whether secular stagnation is real or not. You might want to have a good read of:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/07/imf-gloom-global-economy-growth-secular-stagnation

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/08/secular-stagnation

http://www.voxeu.org/sites/default/files/Vox_secular_stagnation.pdf

http://larrysummers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/NABE-speech-Lawrence-H.-Summers1.pdf
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

GIN1138 said:

Plus every proud Englishman like moi, knows the exact dates of when we give the Frogs a damn good hiding.
    How many dates are there when we haven't given the Frogs a damn good hiding?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015

GIN1138 said:

Tomorrow's toast is "Death to the French!" in good navy rum, sadly the best rum I have in the house at the moment is Cockspur's which is surprisingly all right for a fairly cheap rum.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited October 2014

GIN1138 said:

Everyday we're English and they're French is a victory for England and thus the UK

Obviously Trafalgar was a UK Victory, further proof of the UK being Better Together.
  • Options
    Come on YouGov, I can't get back to work until our Owls correspondent updates me on Labour's running average lead this week in the polls.
  • Options
    Philip Davies to be the next traitorous pig dog?

I agree with Nigel Farage on 'virtually everything' admits Tory MP

Philip Davies MP for Shipley said that 'in an ideal world' Ukip and the Tories 'would not slit each other’s throats'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11175261/I-agree-with-Nigel-Farage-on-virtually-everything-admits-Tory-MP.html
  • Options
    @Sean T
    There's a book reviewed in this weeks Speccy that might appeal to you:

"Marsden is obsessed with pre-history and the beliefs and practices of the earliest inhabitants of Cornwall. "

http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/9341212/rising-ground-by-philip-marsden-review/
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Actually although my previous comment was addressed to Danny565, I think anyone would benefit from having a look at those articles/papers. If the western world somehow bumble our way out of our current economic malaise (whether we do or don't probably has very little do with who gets the keys to No 10, or No 11, in 2015) then the fears of secular stagnation are going to go down as yet another little-remembered delusion of economic prediction. If they come to fruition, and we face a Japanese-style stalled economy, then that's going to fundamentally reshape our lives, our expectations, our politics and our social landscape for potentially the next couple of decades. The Japanese example also suggests it would be bloody difficult to get out of it.
  • Options
    Epic Lolz

Ed Woodward calling one of his own players a 'f*cking waste of money'

https://vine.co/v/ObIvTEigOQH
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Philip Davies MP for Shipley said that 'in an ideal world' Ukip and the Tories 'would not slit each other’s throats'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11175261/I-agree-with-Nigel-Farage-on-virtually-everything-admits-Tory-MP.html

Last one out, turn off the lights.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Hugh said:

kle4 said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

The deficit wasn't a problem pre-crash. It only became a problem after the private sector bankers wrecked the global economy.

That's why the Tory failure on the deficit and economy / living standards is so serious.

Spending money on public services didn't cause our economic problems, the bankers who caused the global crisis, and politicians like Cameron and Osborne who failed to learn lessons from it, are the ones to blame.

Funnily enough, tim used to say that, only thing is,, is that it was as much of a load of bollocks then as it is now.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Epic Lolz

https://vine.co/v/ObIvTEigOQH

That was Falcao,he had just failed to control a ball to him.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    isam said:

SeanT said:

He comes across on telly as a weedy little effeminate wimp who gets some kind of secret sexual kick from being the object of venom from what he might consider "rough trade".

I visited Clacton a couple of times during the campaign, and it's not even that bad.., unless he went to Jaywick, which is so appallingly bad that it would take a heart of stone to criticise the people there rather than feel immense sympathy for them

Actually, despite being UKIP's poster boy so to speak, I think Carswell needs to have a f*cking good look at the state of that place and ask why after 9 years as the MP there, nothing has been done.. makes Dagenham look like Knightsbridge
    As the recent voter actually said -" I voted ukip because my MP has done nothing for Clacton".

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2014

Epic Lolz

that's brilliant but perhaps it was the referee failing to give a pen for Utd late in injury time?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited October 2014

Thanks to Ed they may all be turned off soon
  • Options

Thanks to Ed they mall be turned off soon
    Nice to see you think he will win the election.
  • Options

I don't you idiot, I was referring to his time as Energy Secretary
  • Options

I see your manners still haven't improved. Ah well.
  • Options

The Labour years in power have been expunged and washed away by the redheads, anything that was wrong which they can't forget was down to Blair who was a traitorous pig-dog Tory in their midst.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited October 2014
    Link 9 - good god is that what passes as Cambridge Uni standard of intellect ? File under fruitcake.
  • Options

The Labour years in power have been expunged and washed away by the redheads, anything that was wrong which they can't forget was down to Blair who was a traitorous pig-dog Tory in their midst.
    Your lot seem to monopolise Traitorous Pig Dogs at the moment, according to many on here.
  • Options
    Labour still ahead according to Yougov,a huge 2%.....Basiliscious!
  • Options
    Lord AshcroftVerified account
    @LordAshcroft "UKIP are right. but don't vote for them" is the Tory immigration slogan suggested by @alexmassie

• Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two points: CON 31%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Deficits???

The problem with all the people saying the deficit is 'manageable' and 'if its so bad why have we always had deficits' is that they ignore what life might be like if we were more productive and less spendthrift.
    We ran huge deficits to pay for both WW1 and WW2 which took years, decades, to pay off. The notion that these deficits have been of no consequence to our lives is risible. (No doubt if you chopped a leg off you would still be able to 'manage') As is the idea that there is some mysterious 3% figure which makes it all OK. 3% of what? GDP? What has GDP got to do with it?
    In 2010 our actual spending was 673 billion. I think Darling said the actual revenue was some 160 billion less than that. Look at that as much as you like that defict is a lot bigger than 3% of the revenue to pay for it. Who is in the least bit sanguine about continuing to run deficits like that?

The other point is that there are two sides to the deficit. A cyclical deficit can be 'managed' - because as the economic cycle varies then surpluses can replace deficits. The govt are not reducing the overall deficit as quickly as they wanted because they are allowing the cyclical regulators to do their job because of for instance the downturn in the Eurozone.
    A structural deficit can never be overturned because the economy cannot ever meet the revenues required to meet its spending ambitions. The answer is to reduce spending. The problem the crisis left behined was that a significant part of the financial sector's revenues turned out to be cyclical not structural ie permanent. They have disappeard.

It is quite wrong to criticise Osborne. He has trod a difficult path better than we could expect and probably deserve.
    http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002037.html#more
    ''Over the course of the parliament the coalition will have tightened by 7% of GDP, slightly less than the 7.9% originally planned because of the tax changes described above, but only slightly.''
    ''55% of the planned tightening will have occurred, leaving 45% to the next parliament. It is important to be aware, however, that the goalposts have been moved.
    They were moved in November 2011 when the OBR changed its view on the economy’s productive potential, so more of the deficit was deemed to be structural – and thus requiring tax hikes or spending cuts – and less of it cyclical, in other words disappearing with the recovery.''
    ''By 2018-19, according to the IFS, a deficit reduction programme equivalent to 11.5% of GDP will have been achieved. Apart from in the special conditions of moving from war to peace, I do not think that has ever been done before.''
  • Options
    What the eff if Nigel Farage smoking? Since when have YouGov been the Gold standard of pollsters?

Responding to the poll UKIP Leader Nigel Farage said: "This shows the massive difference between prompted and unprompted polling and it's about time that Peter Kellner of YouGov, who is regarded as the gold standard of pollsters, should move with the times."

http://www.ukip.org/latest_poll_shows_ukip_on_24_demonstrating_other_pollsters_should_move_with_the_times
  • Options
    Re mansion tax - surely the no-brainer is just to have a few new bands of council tax and that's job done isn't it? It's crazy that band H is at £320k + (albeit from 1991)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Tonights YG LAB 331 CON 268 LD 22 Other 29 (UKPR)

EICIPM

Lab ave. lead this week 2.33% 3polls
  • Options

It's a catching disease...

Mr Rosindell, a staunch Eurosceptic who has been Romford’s MP since 2001, said: “My views and Ukip’s views are not actually that far apart.

“I do not really have any objections with their policies - it’s their delivery.

“Standing across the country can only result in a Labour victory and Ed Miliband in No 10.”

He added: “While I agree with Ukip on many things, I’m more Ukip than Ukip in some areas.

“I’ve been arguing that we should not be part of the EU since long before Ukip even existed.”

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/politics/havering_ukip_s_best_chance_of_general_election_success_in_london_1_3809806
  • Options

EICIPM

For the purposes of comparison, can you give us the average Tory lead in the third week of October 2009?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hugh said:

There is a valid distinction to be made between something that doesn't casuse an economic crash, and something that just makes the situation worse when the crash happens (as crashes inevitably do). People sometimes use the analogy that the best time to repair the roof is when the weather's dry, which gets right the idea that just because failure to repair a roof doesn't cause a downpour (unless you take Sod's Law very literally) doesn't mean it's not a sensible precaution to take in case of one. But it has the disadvantage of glossing over the fact that we have at least a small measure of control over the economic rain, not just the waterproofing.

Blaming the bankers for the recession is deranged but probably somewhat socially useful (we've got to vent our frustrations somewhere). It's not like they were purposefully setting out to smash the economy - it was the economy that was keeping them rich, and when the crash came, the first mass lay-offs were among the financial workers. It's not even as if the subset of bankers doing the dodgiest things (LIBOR etc) were actually more to blame for recession than any others were - it was a systemic failure, not some grand moral reckoning laid out by the God Of Economics (who got the crap role once all the best godships, like the Sea, Volcanoes, Thunder and Sex had already been taken).

Blaming the now-apparent flaws in the financial system is a very reasonable thing to do. A lot of those flaws were to do with governance and regulation in a very technical way. Perhaps that's why we, as a society, have largely let the politicians - who hold ultimate responsibility for setting out the legal structures - get away lightly with this one. Easier to bash the bankers. When changes have been made, things like Basel III have come in largely very quietly and without great fanfare - or public scrutiny. There's been almost no holding to account for the systemic problems that led to the crash in the first place. There has been a bit more of a public debate about to what extent world governments in the run-up to the crash had done their waterproofing (and to be fair this was an electoral issue in the UK and several other countries) though this should arguably be secondary to the causative issues. But there has been endless commentariat wittering about "the bankers", which has often descended into the politics of envy, and rarely seems relevant to plausible policy approaches.
  • Options
    isam said:

Mr Rosindell, a staunch Eurosceptic who has been Romford’s MP since 2001, said: “My views and Ukip’s views are not actually that far apart.

“Standing across the country can only result in a Labour victory and Ed Miliband in No 10.”

He added: “While I agree with Ukip on many things, I’m more Ukip than Ukip in some areas.

“I’ve been arguing that we should not be part of the EU since long before Ukip even existed.”

http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/politics/havering_ukip_s_best_chance_of_general_election_success_in_london_1_3809806
    I wish UKIP would stop copying the policies of the Tory's EU headbangers... so unoriginal.
  • Options
    isam said:

I think the electorate is divided between those who vote UKIP, and those who will vote UKIP.
  • Options

isam said:

I wish UKIP would stop copying the policies of the Tory's EU headbangers... so unoriginal.
    Shall we form our own Tory party?

Free of headbangers and traitorous pig dogs
  • Options
    isam said:

Lord AshcroftVerified account
    @LordAshcroft "UKIP are right. but don't vote for them" is the Tory immigration slogan suggested by @alexmassie

What other approach can they adopt?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What will Ed want to talk about this week...?

@brewer_lar: @jameswhartonmp @GreggatQuest im not happy with you lot by any means but this you might find helpful. http://t.co/TUziuHSek0
  • Options
    Blaming the bankers for the recession is deranged
    there has been endless commentariat wittering about "the bankers", which has often descended into the politics of envy

Lol.

Ohhh, those poor bankers.

They and they alone, not spending on public services, caused the world economy to crash.

Regulate and tax them until the pips squeek. Then it won't happen again.

Cameron's pathetic crawling to the bankers in the EU by vetoing a very mild measure like the Robin Hood tax shows where Tory allegiances lie. With bankers and big business, not ordinary people.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

EICIPM

For the purposes of comparison, can you give us the average Tory lead in the third week of October 2009?
    On 22 Oct 2009 (the equivalent point) the Kalman filter estimated the Tory lead at 13.7%.

On polling day it was 7.3% (which the KF got spot on).

Ergo, a similar movement between now and May 2015 would put the Tories 4.4% ahead...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Sunil utters a cough that sounds suspiciously like "Yorktown" :)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

Talking of property prices in London, elderly pb-ers, such as me, will recall that the tyre garage next to my Camden flat has been undergoing transformation into residential development for the last 60,000 years, sorry, 5 years (which, I believe, is longer than it took the Italians to build the entire and exquisite Renaissance city centre of Pienza)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pienza

FFFFFFFFS.

Anyway, my new neighbour, as it approaches completion, has a suitably ridiculous new name, Solstice Point.

The development was meant to be affordable housing but - *cough* - this concept got lost somewhere in the last half decade as London boomed once again.

Ergo the flats are on sale on the open market. And how much will a small 1 bed flat in "Solstice Point" cost you?

£750,000

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/krd140916

What this means on a larger scale I dunno. It's great for me as my flat zooms in value (even as my stocks and shares collapse). But I fear this kind of pricing can only fuel envy of London, resentment of London, and the increasing division of the nation.

F*ck it, if they have a revolution I will sell and move to A CASTLE on the Costa Vicentina.

if it's big, round inflatable and looks a bit like a bubble. it's probably a bubble.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Sara Woolaston and Lord Warner seem to agree £30bn extra needed for NHS by 2020
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

Labour are now polling quite consistently below the so-called, apparently-crucial, vitally-important ils-ne-passeront-pas threshold of 35.

This is a PROBLEM for them, to put it mildly.

As things stand, I cannot see Ed Mililband winning an overall majority. This is the first time I have thought this in quite a while.

3 month YouGov chart

The only ones it's looking good for at the moment are UKIP.

• Options
    Hugh said:

kle4 said:

Hugh said:

DavidL said:

It wasn't a problem if you believed the hype that Gordon Brown had abolished the business cycle.

Once it became clear that he hadn't, in 2008, then the deficit became a problem.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Sunil utters a cough that sounds suspiciously like "Yorktown" :)
    Did you know Gene Roddenberry was planning to call the USS Enterprise the USS Yorktown.

Which probably would have meant I'd have never watched a single episode of Star Trek
  • Options

SeanT said:

Labour are now polling quite consistently below the so-called, apparently-crucial, vitally-important ils-ne-passeront-pas threshold of 35.

This is a PROBLEM for them, to put it mildly.

As things stand, I cannot see Ed Mililband winning an overall majority. This is the first time I have thought this in quite a while.

3 month YouGov chart

The only ones it's looking good for at the moment are UKIP.

The Sunil on Sunday's weekly ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) shows UKIP jumping 4% between 17th August (13.1%) and 19th October (17.1%).
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Hugh said:

Blaming the bankers for the recession is deranged
    there has been endless commentariat wittering about "the bankers", which has often descended into the politics of envy

Lol.

Ohhh, those poor bankers.

They and they alone, not spending on public services, caused the world economy to crash.

Regulate and tax them until the pips squeek. Then it won't happen again.

Cameron's pathetic crawling to the bankers in the EU by vetoing a very mild measure like the Robin Hood tax shows where Tory allegiances lie. With bankers and big business, not ordinary people.

Ahh yes, the Robin Hood tax, a neat way of moving a few Billion from the UK economy into EU coffers.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Talking of property prices in London, elderly pb-ers, such as me, will recall that the tyre garage next to my Camden flat has been undergoing transformation into residential development for the last 60,000 years, sorry, 5 years (which, I believe, is longer than it took the Italians to build the entire and exquisite Renaissance city centre of Pienza)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pienza

FFFFFFFFS.

Anyway, my new neighbour, as it approaches completion, has a suitably ridiculous new name, Solstice Point.

The development was meant to be affordable housing but - *cough* - this concept got lost somewhere in the last half decade as London boomed once again.

Ergo the flats are on sale on the open market. And how much will a small 1 bed flat in "Solstice Point" cost you?

£750,000

http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/krd140916

What this means on a larger scale I dunno. It's great for me as my flat zooms in value (even as my stocks and shares collapse). But I fear this kind of pricing can only fuel envy of London, resentment of London, and the increasing division of the nation.

F*ck it, if they have a revolution I will sell and move to A CASTLE on the Costa Vicentina.

The next kick out against the elite will be the trafficking of social housing residents out of zones 1 & 2 and to the suburbs.. it's already happening, and people aren't happy
This discussion has been closed.