Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview by Harry Hayfield

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Election Preview by Harry Hayfield

Harper Green on Bolton (Lab Defence)
Result of last election to council (2014): Labour 40, Conservatives 15, Liberal Democrats 3, United Kingdom Independence Party 2 (Labour majority of 20)
Result of ward at last election (2013): Labour 744 (52%), Conservative 325 (23%), UKIP 252 (18%), Greens 60 (4%), Liberal Democrats 53 (4%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited October 2014
    Caroline Flint was canvassing in Thurrock for this one... Labour must be taking it pretty seriously

If UKIP win this ward tonight, Thurrock is ours next May
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Drat! second!!
  • Options
    Incidentally does anyone know what sort of turnout there was for the Tory hustings last night? None of the reports I've seen even mention it...........
  • Options

Drat! second!!

I am sorry, if I could delete a post I would
  • Options

Incidentally does anyone know what sort of turnout there was for the Tory hustings last night? None of the reports I've seen even mention it...........

Paul Francis @PaulOnPolitics · 5h 5 hours ago
    Wasn't aware national media were not allowed in to #rochesterstrood Conservative hustings meeting. Wrong & I disapprove #RSbyelection

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    isam said:

Caroline Flint was canvassing in Thurrock for this one... Labour must be taking it pretty seriously

Ahhh, the fresh-faced optimism of the recently engaged.

It's just like the Burgerbraukeller!
  • Options
    What time should first results be seen?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    isam said:

Wasn't aware national media were not allowed in to #rochesterstrood Conservative hustings meeting. Wrong & I disapprove #RSbyelection
    The R4 reporter interviewed Sarah Wollaston as she left and she too disagreed with keeping the press out.

• Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Flints not a bad sort, but freshed-face is pushing it
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Apparently a new polling low for Con + Lab tonight. So I reckon we will see Lab 32%, Con 29%, UKIP 20%, Lib Dems 8%
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Flints not a bad sort, but freshed-face is pushing it
    Been around the block look is not to be sniffed at!

Is it me or is she a bit kinda dusky skinned too?
  • Options
    isam said:

Ah well the local media were in there apparently and they didn't mention it.
  • Options
    Crime Figs June 13 to 14

Rapes up 29%
    Knifepoint rapes up 48%
    Race hate crime up 4%
    Religious hate crime up 45%
    Total crime down 16%

Looks like the old bill are on the case with late library books and parking on double yellows

• Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

Crime Figs June 13 to 14

Rapes up 29%
    Knifepoint rapes up 48%
    Race hate crime up 4%
    Total crime down 16%

Looks like the old bill are on the case with late library books and parking on double yellows

Now, now don't do the Home Office propaganda officer's job for him. The crime figures for Fraud and Cyber crime have been hived off (and the cyber crime figures are doctored as well) to a new Fraud agency and they do not appear in the general crime figures released today.

Labour claimed this morning that with them included crime is up.......
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll - 32% lowest Lab figure since mid-May 2010, plus new combined Lab/Con % low:

CON 31%, LAB 32%, LD 8%, UKIP 18%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

isam said:

Crime Figs June 13 to 14

Rapes up 29%
    Knifepoint rapes up 48%
    Race hate crime up 4%
    Total crime down 16%

Now, now don't do the Home Office propaganda officer's job for him. The crime figures for Fraud and Cyber crime have been hived off (and the cyber crime figures are doctored as well) to a new Fraud agency and they do not appear in the general crime figures released today.

Some of the Police forces have not been recording crime properly anyway. I think it was Kent Police force who were found not to be recording all crime reported and when they did it correctly crime was up. Most Police forces use civilian staff to answer the public, so how confident are we that these record the crime details properly, to ensure appropriate investigation. If Police have had to find 20% in savings, there will be some reductions in service.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    Yougov 41% would vote to stay in EU, 40% to leave, and we thought Scotland was tight!
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/522860513626443776
  • Options
    @HurstLlama

Re Solo and Bridge, I've played plenty of both in my time but there's no comparison in the complexity.

Solo is a fine game and lots of fun, but Bridge is infinitely more complex. It's kind of like the difference between draughts and chess - both immensely enjoyable, but few would doubt the latter has greater depth and richness.
  • Options
    isam said:

In your long list of possible UKIP targets did you include Penistone & Stocksbridge ?

If not, then you might find it interesting if you take a look.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll - 32% lowest Lab figure since mid-May 2010, plus new combined Lab/Con % low:

hmm.. Lord Dan Hodges' article on how low can Labour go and that 29% is not the floor is indeed timely...
  • Options
    Greens on 7% with yougov, 1% behind the LDs
    https://twitter.com/Sun_Politics/status/522862099626598403
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll - 32% lowest Lab figure since mid-May 2010, plus new combined Lab/Con % low:

ENP 4.1
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll - 32% lowest Lab figure since mid-May 2010, plus new combined Lab/Con % low:

hmm.. Lord Dan Hodges' article on how low can Labour go and that 29% is not the floor is indeed timely...

Must be an outlier :)

BTW no Tory leads for 10 days on the trot :)
  • Options
    I think the next election looks like it will be decided by who falls the lowest! Talk about lack of a mandate, no UK government since the introduction of universal suffrage has been elected on only 31 or 32%!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    UKIP vote crashes by over 5% of its total in a single day. Is it all over for Farage?

Maybe not quite yet.
  • Options
    Greens in news for being snubbed and up they bob.... interesting!!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

ENP 4.1
    erm, English National Parliament erm... ??
  • Options

isam said:

In your long list of possible UKIP targets did you include Penistone & Stocksbridge ?

Yes looks very big at 16/1, good spot
  • Options
    I have been quite pessimistic about the outlook for the future of the world economy in general and the European economy in particular over the next year or so suggesting this makes a significant slow down in the UK economy before the election likely.

But now I see AEP is forecasting something similar I am assuming that I was wrong:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11165982/World-economy-so-damaged-it-may-need-permanent-QE.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Disaster for Labour. And this in the wake of Lord Freud - arguably Miliband's most effectively planned political assault in months. Labour's problem is that the more Miliband looks a hopeless case, the more Labour voters will turn to UKIP as something - anything - to get at the Tories. This could turn frightfully bloody!
  • Options
    32% lowest Lab figure since mid-May 2010

now click your red heels together... there's no place like islington, there's no place like ....
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

ENP 4.1
    erm, English National Parliament erm... ??
    Effective number of parties
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    East European beggars who have turned part of Park Lane into a “slum” today demanded: “We’re EU citizens, give us houses”.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/romanians-were-eu-citizens-give-us-houses-so-we-can-stop-sleeping-rough-at-park-lane-9794981.html

We BADLY need a points system for EU migration.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

isam said:

Crime Figs June 13 to 14

Rapes up 29%
    Knifepoint rapes up 48%
    Race hate crime up 4%
    Total crime down 16%

Some of the Police forces have not been recording crime properly anyway. I think it was Kent Police force who were found not to be recording all crime reported and when they did it correctly crime was up. Most Police forces use civilian staff to answer the public, so how confident are we that these record the crime details properly, to ensure appropriate investigation. If Police have had to find 20% in savings, there will be some reductions in service.
    Indeed there have been some significant credibility issues with the figures anyway although I don't think civilian staff will record the information any less accurately than officers would.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Solo is a game with a lot of complexity, but it is usually played by players who aren't up to its nuances.

Even more than bridge.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

UKIP vote crashes by over 5% of its total in a single day. Is it all over for Farage?

Maybe not quite yet.

Isn't 5% of around 20% a 1 percentage point change? Statistical noise surely?
  • Options
    It looks as if the Greens, on 7% in this latest poll, have nicked a couple of percentage points from Labour recently.
    Assuming UKPR update their polling averages to include these latest figures, I would guess that Stephen Fisher's latest projection tomorrow morning is likely to show an unchanged picture with the Tories just edging ahead in terms of 2015 GE seats, unless the good Professor sees UKIP making something of a breakthrough, primarily at the Blues' expense.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited October 2014
    In the month of October with YouGov we've had a seven point Labour lead, a two point Tory lead (2 days later), Green's joint highest score of the year, Labour's lowest score since May 2010, Conservatives joint lowest score of the year and UKIP's highest score ever.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Re EU. 41% in favour 40% against and I'm sure by the time a campaign got underway with most parties supporting it you'd be talking at least 40/60 for staying in.

So why doesn't Ed get his brains trust together to arrange the arguments for staying in and start selling it?

It's a gaping open goal.
  • Options

Labour Press Team ✔ @labourpress
    watch @angelaeagle on @bbcquestiontime tonight at 10.45 #bbcqt

God no..Mercy...

I'd rather read all Hugh's posts on PB in one go.
  • Options
    "By-elections educate the senses, call into action the will, perfect the physical constitution, bring men (and women!) into such swift and close collision in critical moments that man measures man (and woman measures woman!)."
  • Options
    The debates should be based on clear polling thresholds: 1st debate: 25 points, 2nd debate: 10 points, 3rd debate: 5 points.

So that would be...

1) Lab and Con
    2) Lab, Con, UKIP
    3) Lab, Con, UKIP, Lib Dems, Greens
  • Options
    Socrates said:

DavidL said:

Maybe not quite yet.

Isn't 5% of around 20% a 1 percentage point change? Statistical noise surely?
    Yes it was a joke. Obviously not a good one. Sorry.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    DavidL said:

I have been quite pessimistic about the outlook for the future of the world economy in general and the European economy in particular over the next year or so suggesting this makes a significant slow down in the UK economy before the election likely.

But now I see AEP is forecasting something similar I am assuming that I was wrong:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11165982/World-economy-so-damaged-it-may-need-permanent-QE.html

Liked a stopped clock, even AEP could entirely accidentally be correct once.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Lib Dems soar.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Weren't you predicting the FTSE100 to reach 7,500 this year, a few months ago ?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    If Lib Dems are going Green rather than Red it is another problem for Ed. (Assume not many UKKIPers/ Tories would switch Green). Could affect a few Marginals with reasonable Lib Dem presence e.g. Northampton North. Ealing, Pendle, Watford.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited October 2014
    DavidL said:

Maybe not quite yet.

the graph on the Wikipedia page was updated earlier today and has UKIP at 16% and higher than either this year's Euro elections or last year's locals. (It is averaged over a 2 week period, their average over the last week is a point higher).
  • Options
    Roger said:

Re EU. 41% in favour 40% against and I'm sure by the time a campaign got underway with most parties supporting it you'd be talking at least 40/60 for staying in.

So why doesn't Ed get his brains trust togetherto arrange the arguments for staying in and start selling it?

It's a gaping open goal.

But given the state of his campaign I thought you were his 'brains trust' Roger? Are you not?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,324
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

Solo is a game with a lot of complexity, but it is usually played by players who aren't up to its nuances.

Even more than bridge.

It's difficult enough to find three other players who know the rules, Frank, never mind three that appreciate its nuances.

Like a lot of good card games, it has lost popularity to the point of near extinction. Much the same is true of nap, cribbage and kalookie, though I wouldn't rate any of them as high as solo.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    How many seats will the Greens contest. Would be worth the Tories paying deposits for all 650 seats.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The debates should be based on clear polling thresholds: 1st debate: 25 points, 2nd debate: 10 points, 3rd debate: 5 points.

So that would be...

1) Lab and Con
    2) Lab, Con, UKIP
    3) Lab, Con, UKIP, Lib Dems, Greens

Any party who've won a Westminster by-election this Parliament should be eligibubble.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Given what's been going on for the last 5 years that YouGov poll on EU membership is by no means disastrous for the pro-EU side. Could have got a lot worse.
  • Options
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/suspected-paedophiles-walking-free-after-7937130

I passed on the names of 26 victims of grooming gangs, but my bosses did nothing, says former GMP detective
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Bad poll for LibLabCon - but it's just one poll.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Weren't you predicting the FTSE100 to reach 7,500 this year, a few months ago ?
    Err, no, I don't think I have ever been brave enough to predict the FTSE. I may have gently taken the rise out of an occasional poster who has predicted at least 10 of the last 2 stock market crashes but I really have little feel about where the market is going. Its connection to the economy in general and the UK economy in particular is fairly tangential at best.

I did predict that growth this year would exceed 3% in January and I think we will still manage that with what is in the bank already but I am more pessimistic about Q4 than I was.

@Lennon. AEP being right twice a day strikes me as vanishingly unlikely.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Maybe not quite yet.

the graph on the Wikipedia page was updated earlier today and has UKIP at 16% and higher than either this year's Euro elections or last year's locals. (It is averaged over a 2 week period, their average over the last week is a point higher).
    UKIP on the rise!
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

isam said:

Crime Figs June 13 to 14

Rapes up 29%
    Knifepoint rapes up 48%
    Race hate crime up 4%
    Total crime down 16%

The ONS is quite clear:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/period-ending-june-2014/stb-crime-stats--year-ending-june-2014.html#tab-Sexual-offences

"It is difficult to obtain reliable information on the volume of sexual offences as it is known that a high proportion of offences are not reported to the police and changes in recorded figures may reflect changes in reporting or recording rates rather than actual victimisation.There are likely to be two main of factors in the rise in police recorded rape and sexual offences; an increase in the willingness of victims to come forward and report these crimes to the police, and an improvement in crime recording by the police for these offences."

Unless you think rapes in Durham are actually up by 185% in a year, this seems likely.
  • Options
    QT on the immigration "red lines"

Angela Eagle spoke well
    Jeremy Hunt doesn't seem to think Cameron can do it
    Giles Fraser is a wally
    Ming Campbell the Lib Dem scratched record

Isabel Oakeshott is speaking sense, Cameron cant do it, but she looks like she should do some buttons up!

The only party on the up not represented
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    isam said:

Drat! second!!

I am sorry, if I could delete a post I would
    Thank you. That is very gentlemanly of you.
  • Options
    @Grandiose

"Unless you think rapes in Durham are actually up by 185% in a year..."

Well it was a very fine summer, Grandy.

Or maybe The Blagdon Amateur Rapist was let out?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

It looks as if the Greens, on 7% in this latest poll, have nicked a couple of percentage points from Labour recently.

In line with what I was picking up from my lefty chums and posted about three weeks back.

Ed is making them seriously consider "what is the point of Labour?" He's a great recruiting sergeant for the Greens. If over the next few months, a Labour Govt. looks less and less likely, then I can certainly see many more people peeling away and voting how they want, rather than in the past, how they felt they should.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Liverpool 2 : The Shard 0

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5ee5d64-5547-11e4-b750-00144feab7de.html#slide0

http://designinglibraries.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=431

Second time in 12 months a building in The 'Pool has won a prestigious architectural prize against the London monstrosity...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Liverpool 2 : The Shard 0

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e5ee5d64-5547-11e4-b750-00144feab7de.html#slide0

http://designinglibraries.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=431

Second time in 12 months a building in The 'Pool has won a prestigious architectural prize against the London monstrosity...

Oh don't tell me they got another crooked referee?
  • Options
    "...What I was picking up from my lefty chums."

Is there something you wish to tell us, Mark?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Being drunk and watching question time. Can life get any worse?
  • Options
    UKIP gain Sheppey (Swale) on swing from Con, Labour, and Loony...
  • Options
    Lennon said:

UKIP gain Sheppey (Swale) on swing from Con, Labour, and Loony...

Next door seat to Reckless.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    That didn't take long -

I commented the other day on the fact that the Democrats are so desperate that they are runing commercials blaming the Republicans for Ebola.

The Washington Post has awarded one of them 4 pinnochios, for being completely untrue.
  • Options
    Tweet from Mark Pack suggesting Lib Dem has won in York - no idea if accurate or not.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes looks very big at 16/1, good spot
    Now, barely half an hour later UKIP has shortened in P&S to just 10/1 !
    Either Shadsy is on here looking and acting on what's said and/or a fair bit of money has been wagered with the Magic Sign on precisely this bet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If it's a rerun.
  • Options
    Marquee Mark The fact that it was Cameron who wanted the Greens in the debates not Miliband probably also hit Labour with switchers to the Greens
  • Options
    Sheppey Central (Swale) result:
    UKIP - 58.4% (+42.7)
    CON - 22.8% (-21.2)
    LAB - 16.9% (-15.2)
    OMRLP - 1.9% (-6.4)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Lennon said:

UKIP - 58.4% (+42.7)
    CON - 22.8% (-21.2)
    LAB - 16.9% (-15.2)
    OMRLP - 1.9% (-6.4)

Looks like the Tories will be an even bigger price in R&S tmrw...

Possibly 45-50% UKIP in Rochester is the move at 11/2 and 50-55% at 9/1
  • Options
    Roger They said the same about Better Together of course
  • Options
    Lennon said:

UKIP - 58.4% (+42.7)
    CON - 22.8% (-21.2)
    LAB - 16.9% (-15.2)
    OMRLP - 1.9% (-6.4)

Way to go, UKIP!
  • Options
    W-Thurrock & S-Stifford (Thurrock) result:
    LAB - 50.3% (+1.4)
    UKIP - 34.6% (-0.7)
    CON - 15.1% (-0.7)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Saving Private Ryan for me :)

"By-elections educate the senses, call into action the will, perfect the physical constitution, bring men (and women!) into such swift and close collision in critical moments that man measures man (and woman measures woman!)."
  • Options

I get on with anyone, me.

Except Derby County fans.
  • Options
    Would the Tories ever be so bold as to scrap national insurance?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

LAB - 50.3% (+1.4)
    UKIP - 34.6% (-0.7)
    CON - 15.1% (-0.7)

Ooh.. not over yet in Thurrock
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

If it's a rerun.
    You got me.

I thought This Week would be on by now!!
  • Options
    I looked up Thurrock.

It said

is a unitary authority area with borough status in the English ceremonial county of Essex

I have no idea what that means. Borough status? Ceremonial county? Unitary authority?
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt just stated he played Nick Clegg in mock TV debates
  • Options
    isam said:

Lennon said:

LAB - 50.3% (+1.4)
    UKIP - 34.6% (-0.7)
    CON - 15.1% (-0.7)

Yes, that's pretty tough resistance from Labour there.

UKIP will need Tory help to get over the line at the GE. Will they get it, or will it be 'Vote Tory, Get Ed'?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Thurrock Lab 903 UKIP 621 Con 270

York seems that Labour have conceded defeat to Lib Dems but no official result yet
  • Options

RobD said:

Saving Private Ryan for me :)

You would prefer another target, a eurosceptic target? Then name the constituency! I grow tired of asking this so it will be the last time: *Where* is the UKIP base?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited October 2014
    Lennon said:

UKIP - 58.4% (+42.7)
    CON - 22.8% (-21.2)
    LAB - 16.9% (-15.2)
    OMRLP - 1.9% (-6.4)
    )

UKIP surge!
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

I'm one of them, want to start something?!?!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    woody662 said:

I know you are... You're not alone either ;-)
  • Options

isam said:

Lennon said:

LAB - 50.3% (+1.4)
    UKIP - 34.6% (-0.7)
    CON - 15.1% (-0.7)

Yes, that's pretty tough resistance from Labour there.

UKIP will need Tory help to get over the line at the GE. Will they get it, or will it be 'Vote Tory, Get Ed'?
    Its apparently the safest Labour ward in the constituency.. The UKIP candidate said if they won tonight it would almost be all over next year, so I don't think he was really expecting to win
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Tim_B said:

I looked up Thurrock.

It said

is a unitary authority area with borough status in the English ceremonial county of Essex

I have no idea what that means. Borough status? Ceremonial county? Unitary authority?

It's a unitary borough within a ceremonial county. What's there to get? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

If it's a rerun.
    You got me.

Of course, it would be worse if you're watching it with your loved one and your wife turns up....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

I looked up Thurrock.

It said

It's a unitary borough within a ceremonial county. What's there to get? ;)
    Ebola? :-)
  • Options
    RobD Listening to an hour of Jeremy Hunt and Angela Eagle droning on is a perfect cure for insomnia
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

If it's a rerun.
    You got me.

Of course, it would be worse if you're watching it with your loved one and your wife turns up....
    Hope you aren't speaking from experience, sir :')
  • Options

woody662 said:

I know you are... You're not alone either ;-)
    Are you referring to me by any chance MM?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

If it's a rerun.
    You got me.

Hope you aren't speaking from experience, sir :')
    No chance - Heidi would bark and she'd slip out of the back door :-)
This discussion has been closed.