Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The key group in Rochester – the women who’ve yet to make u

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The key group in Rochester – the women who’ve yet to make up their minds

The battle is on in Rochester for the women DKs. See this from Survation. There are 2* as many as men. pic.twitter.com/7InXIsvfFo

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?

Welcome back to @oldnat, one of my favourite posters from years gone by. Hadn't noticed your return!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Aren't UKIP winning on Women's votes in that poll?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,945
    It's a by-election, turnout will be lowish. The undecided group simply won't vote.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Another Party isn't doing badly in that poll, is it? - thrashing Greens and BNP and giving the Libdems a serious run for their money. It's the Monster Raving Loony surge - UKIP just can't hang on to the fruitloop vote these days.
  • Options
    FPT:

Fascinating stuff in the Evening Standard tonight. Apparently Carswell told his former constituency chairman that UKIP were 'bonkers' but not to worry because he could 'change them'. So the remarks I made about entryism the other week were prognosticative. Carswell intends to remake UKIP from within in his own image. The only question remaining is what does he do with some of the fruitier members and Nigel. It'll be interesting so see how Carswell's project turns out!

Are you going to provide a link with that or should we assume you are just another facile troll
    I looked for a link, but presumably it's not on the website yet. I'll keep an eye out for it as it's interesting stuff. I actually think if Carswell can oust Farage then there's more chance of a Tory/UKIP pact. I can see Cameron being relaxed about doing a deal with Carswell in way that would never happen with Farage, who seems to have psychological issues with him.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Such an interesting thread Mike.

Have the Tories spotted something with their shortlist of two local women? Yep, I know Labour too have a female candidate.

Pulpstar I think you're wrong. Clacton's 51% turnout was on the back of a foregone Carswell win. This one will have the Conservatives piling in and because it could be close turnout should be well above Clacton.
  • Options
    That sample has 419 men against 518 women and yet UKIP are comfortably ahead. I guess in reality they're even further ahead.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The offer still stands

I hear Tories saying this is going to be so close

Richard Nabavi wrote a much praised piece with the conclusions

Con +13 or
    UKIP +3

I will give the Conservatives a 5 point start and odds of EVEN money

If you think its going to be close, this is fantastic value
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    Total number of undecided women is 139. However total number of undecided 2010 Tories are 75 in number

Of those undecided overall twice as many are women. So there are let's say 50 women who voted Tory in 2010 are undecided. Even if all of those voted Tory it would not be enough.

In fact it would seem looking at the 2010 vote figures that nearly half of those 139 women did not vote at all. There are 201 undecided of which only 122 voted and we know that those who did not vote at the last election are less likely to vote in this election. So we can probably assume that around 50 of those women will not vote. That means the Tories have around 39 other undecided women to target who either voted UKIP, Labour or Libdem. I doubt they will get a quarter of them. So lets say 10 plus the 50 Tory women

So 60 of those women out of the 139 which is pretty good going but would still be short of the mark....
  • Options
    isam said:

Yep good spot!
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Another Party isn't doing badly in that poll, is it? - thrashing Greens and BNP and giving the Libdems a serious run for their money. It's the Monster Raving Loony surge - UKIP just can't hang on to the fruitloop vote these days.

An uncharacteristically bitter comment from you.

What's happened?

Instructions from HQ? Earful on the doorstep?
  • Options
    m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDyJdEEjvUg&feature=youtu.be

There you go, reported to the Electoral Commission and the police, not by me I hasten to add!
  • Options
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Yep good spot!
    The only category amongst the parties with a higher score than UKIP women is UKIP men!
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Speaking as a woman, it wouldn't make any difference to my voting intentions whatsoever. But thinking of other women I know... I would guess that perhaps 1 in 3 would prefer a female candidate, all things being equal. I've heard people say it, certainly.

Then again, thinking about Reckless. I don't know how popular he is personally in Rochester but what I do know is that most people don't seem to get anywhere near as het up about him leaving the Tories and calling a by-election as the Conservative posters on PB seem to. I've heard people opining that it is much more "honourable" to call a by-election than to simply cross the floor in the manner of Shaun Woodward, for example. Sure, the members of Rochester Conservatives might see it differently - but non-activist voters? I'm not so sure they'll be that angry about the defection in itself, although obviously they will feel more anger if they are already hostile to Ukip.

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Old men, UKIP key voters? Well I never!

The "I remember when you could call a spade a spade" vote.
  • Options

FPT:

Fascinating stuff in the Evening Standard tonight. Apparently Carswell told his former constituency chairman that UKIP were 'bonkers' but not to worry because he could 'change them'. So the remarks I made about entryism the other week were prognosticative. Carswell intends to remake UKIP from within in his own image. The only question remaining is what does he do with some of the fruitier members and Nigel. It'll be interesting so see how Carswell's project turns out!

Are you going to provide a link with that or should we assume you are just another facile troll
    I looked for a link, but presumably it's not on the website yet. I'll keep an eye out for it as it's interesting stuff. I actually think if Carswell can oust Farage then there's more chance of a Tory/UKIP pact. I can see Cameron being relaxed about doing a deal with Carswell in way that would never happen with Farage, who seems to have psychological issues with him.
    Farage has just been reappointed leader for another four years. I wouldn't hold your breath expecting newbie Carswell to make his move. Personally I expect the next leader of the party to be either Steven Woolfe or one of the senior women.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Old men also vote unlike youngsters. Another pointer towards a UKIP victory in R & S.
  • Options
    George Osborne, January 2012:

" For one of the illusions of globalisation has been that the countries of the west could live indefinitely on the cheap credit and low inflation that the emerging economies of the East provided for us - that we could go on forever borrowing money from hard-working Chinese savers to buy the things those Chinese workers were making for us. "

Osborne had used the 'borrow money from China to pay for goods made in China' phrase previously, including at the Channel 4 'Chancellors Debate' prior to the general election.

In the fifth year of Osborne's chancellorship the UK has a government deficit of over £100bn and a balance of payments deficit of over £90bn.

This government's economic strategy is, in the description of the Chancellor, an 'illusion'.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Hugh said:

Christ, but you're tedious.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Hugh

"The "I remember when you could call a spade a spade" vote"

Made me smile.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Hugh called me a liar on the last thread for saying he had accused people of "drooling" over child abuse

I am bang to rights... he said "salivating"

Hugh • Posts: 832
    August 31

We desperately need someone to get a grip at the top, to allow us all to get a grip on our country.Racists, anti-immigration obsessives and Powellites have been salivating at this, and on PB we have seen some posters excitedly pushing their nasty, narrow agenda for days now.

It's about far, far more than that. And the victims deserve better than this kind of vile trash
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    I don't normally have a deontological mindset but I must say Gordon Strachan is making a decent case at the moment.
  • Options
    Isam

"Hugh called me a liar on the last thread for saying he had accused people of "drooling" over child abuse"

Stop being such a girl.

Chest out. You're a UKIPer now!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Roger said:

Isam

"Hugh called me a liar on the last thread for saying he had accused people of "drooling" over child abuse"

Stop being such a girl.

Oh Woger! Wot a sexist wemark!

I think it's hugh you should be digging out as he was the one who complained, I was just correcting him
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,347
    Damn.
  • Options

Such an interesting thread Mike.

Have the Tories spotted something with their shortlist of two local women? Yep, I know Labour too have a female candidate.

Pulpstar I think you're wrong. Clacton's 51% turnout was on the back of a foregone Carswell win. This one will have the Conservatives piling in and because it could be close turnout should be well above Clacton.

The Tories "piled in" to Newark:

Newark turnout 52.79%
    Clacton turnout 51.7%

Its going to be just over 50% I think judging by the tea leaves.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    Hugh said:

Being old or male seem to be reprehensible characteristics to left-wingers.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

Roger said:

Isam

Stop being such a girl.

I think it's hugh you should be digging out as he was the one who complained, I was just correcting him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DME_dEYq7Lg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m22s

1 min 22 ^_~
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited October 2014
    Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Reminds me of that Hitchiker's quote:

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136

First?

Welcome back to @oldnat, one of my favourite posters from years gone by. Hadn't noticed your return!

Thankyou kind sir/madam/person of indeterminate gender :-)

Have time now, with referendum over, and accepting result.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Isn't it likely that 'not voting' will be favourite? Although the respondents claim to be likely to vote but undecided, of the 200 indicated in the male-female split (which differs from the 201 total probably due to rounding rather than an uncertain hermaohrodite), only 75+30+17+14 = 136 voted for Con, Lab, LD or Other in 2010.
    Which nudges me towards the opinion that 62 (or 63) of the 'undecided but will likely vote' are actually not likely to vote (there's a known tendency of poll respondents to stretch the truth on their likelihood of doing the socially expected thing)

Actually, on closer inspection, the "did not vote in 2010" numbers are supposed to be 28. Which means that there are 34 respondents who consider themselves likely to vote, who didn't vote for any party in 2010, yet are not counted as 'did not vote'. So they voted but didn't vote?
  • Options
    OT. Talking about being a girl....was I dreaming or did I hear Kevin Peterson whining about being bullied in the changing rooms? I know it's now fashionable to show our feminine side but a 6'6 professional cricketer talking endlessly about how his team mates bullied him had me reaching for the sick bag. I blame Princess Di.......
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Isam

Stop being such a girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DME_dEYq7Lg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m22s

1 min 22 ^_~
    That's almost 3 minutes longer than his best bits on here
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Talking about being a girl....was I dreaming or did I hear Kevin Peterson whining about being bullied in the changing rooms? I know it's now fashionable to show our feminine side but a 6'6 professional cricketer talking endlessly about how his team mates bullied him had me reaching for the sick bag. I blame Princess Di.......

Yes its only little puny effeminate men that can be sensitive isn't it?

This doesn't sound like a soppy lefty speaking Woger, have you been eating shredded wheat?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Looks like TSE backed the wrong part of Ireland.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

Roger said:

Yes its only little puny effeminate men that can be sensitive isn't it?

This doesn't sound like a soppy lefty speaking Woger, have you been eating shredded wheat?
    I don't know why but this made me think of Roger and Hugh (but only in the best possible taste of course)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULzVLU9caVw
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

What's happened?

Er, it was a joke. Sorry.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

A message from a Northern Irish friend

Aristotle, Archimedes, Demis Roussos, Nana Mouskouri, Pythagoras, Pericles Prince Philip, Prince Philip can you hear me?

Your boys took one hell of a beating!

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I don't understand the point of the Conservatives spending time and considerable expense on an open primary and then only having a choice of two nondescript local councillors.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Good to see Roger manning up.

We'll make a Ukip voter of him yet.
  • Options
    Artist said:

I don't understand the point of the Conservatives spending time and considerable expense on an open primary and then only having a choice of two nondescript local councillors.

It works to drum up attention on the X Factor for very ordinary acts. Perhaps one is doing it for their aged granny and the other is doing it to get over bullying at school.
  • Options
    Channel 4 have been in Rochester asking constituents about David Cameron's open primary letter!

Two put it straight in the bin, the other reckons it was phoney...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybsRVQ0wfso
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

They seemed to like Harry Smith when he spoke at their conference.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-conference-91yearold-campaigner-harry-smith-steals-show-with-impassioned-welfare-defence-9753847.html
  • Options
    @suttonnick

Wednesday's Telegraph front page:

Tories to cut inheritance tax before next election

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz74KGNCIAAZv1C.jpg
  • Options

@suttonnick

IHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a joke though right, what about my business?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,084
    This is why it is very sensible of the Tories to ensure their final 2 candidates were both women and relatively local
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    Artist said:

What would be 'desscript' in your mind? Yet another PPE? Yet another union official? Yet another Spad? Someone parachuted in from the other side of the country?

At least these two have spent a little time working at the coal face of their local politics, unlike many PPC's.

Or are you bothered they are both women?
  • Options

@suttonnick

@suttonnick

David Cameron's Premiership

"Its's just a jump to the left....

AND THEN A STEP TO THE RIIIIGGHHHT"!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A
  • Options
    Artist As 1 at least is a local councillor and they will have to campaign, hold meetings and gain name recognition
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290

@suttonnick

How will they do that?

Surely LDs are 100% certain to block it?
  • Options

@suttonnick

IHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a joke though right, what about my business?

Lie back and think of the Tory landslide.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Artist said:

I think people are supposed to gain some sort of attachment to something if they have had even a bogus choice in it being picked before hand, additional validation. Like Steam Game sales where people can vote on what games they would like to be on sale the next day - you're more likely to buy it the next day if the one you picked, even from a poor set of options, is the one that 'wins' and goes on sale.

Probably not the sort of thing that is very measurable, but it surely cannot hurt to try to get people involved and therefore even in a small way invested in the Tory candidate before the final vote. If they win, it will be regarded as well worth the cost even if it cannot be proven it had an impact, like Van Gaal subbing that goalkeeper in the 120th minute in the world cup. Sure, the guy brought on did save a couple of penalties so some would call it brilliant, but we'll never know if doing nothing would have led to the same result.

Ninoinoz said:

What's happened?

Er, it was a joke. Sorry.

Well I hope you learned your lesson.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited October 2014
    MikeL said:

@suttonnick

How will they do that?

Surely LDs are 100% certain to block it?
    You got me!!! More info needed A S A F P
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Roger/Isam Despite being Afrikaans Pietersen strikes me as very metrosexual in the Brand Beckham mould, also married to a pop singer. He probably did not connect with more old school, traditional male cricketers like Flowers, Strauss and Prior
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    If the Tories are getting inheritance tax changes before the election, what will the Lib Dems be announcing near the Autumn statement ? Normally the coalition do a deal, so each party has something popular to sell to the electorate.
  • Options
    LDs have just voted for a policy to significantly raise CGT.

There is zero chance that they will vote to cut IT.

Only thing I can think of is that Osborne puts it in the Budget and challenges LDs to vote it down but could he do that? Surely the whole Cabinet must agree the Budget?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    isam said:

Channel 4 have been in Rochester asking constituents about David Cameron's open primary letter!

I was right that the letter from the PM will go down very badly with the voters there, even more badly for the Tories the PM and the Cabinet will visit Rochester 5 times for the by-election.
    If they hope to win it with Labour votes they should stop reminding Labour voters why they don't vote for the Tories in the first place.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    kle4 said:

Well I hope you learned your lesson.

Quite. Do not jest with Nino.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-conference-91yearold-campaigner-harry-smith-steals-show-with-impassioned-welfare-defence-9753847.html
    How does telling a story about how the biggest improvement in the NHS was that you got morphine to ease the pain as you die give one confidence in the much vaunted institution.

I'd have thought they would have been better advised telling a story about someone's survival? Especially after Mid Staffs......

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited October 2014
    Re: Inheritance Tax.
    1. We will have had at GE2015 5 years of assets rising in value whereas IHT allowances remained unchanged.
    2. This has increased IHT taken by Govt to over £4bn a year.
    Now Cameron wakes up to the problem..... sheesh. He better be able to blame the Lib Dems if he wants to avoid the backlash.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

LDs have just voted for a policy to significantly raise CGT.

There is zero chance that they will vote to cut IT.

Only thing I can think of is that Osborne puts it in the Budget and challenges LDs to vote it down but could he do that? Surely the whole Cabinet must agree the Budget?

I think the point here is to PROMISE to cut it before the BYELECTION, win or lose the BYELECTION they might not keep the PROMISE and blame the LD's anyway.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

antifrank said:

A message from a Northern Irish friend

Aristotle, Archimedes, Demis Roussos, Nana Mouskouri, Pythagoras, Pericles Prince Philip, Prince Philip can you hear me?

Your boys took one hell of a beating!

Archimedes was born in Syracuse, Sicily. Killed there, as well.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Inheritance Tax to be cut? Where UKIP lead (they announced they intended to scrap it) the Tories half-heartedly follow

Is George hoping to repeat his 2007 trick?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger/Isam Despite being Afrikaans Pietersen strikes me as very metrosexual in the Brand Beckham mould, also married to a pop singer. He probably did not connect with more old school, traditional male cricketers like Flowers, Strauss and Prior

It's incredible really that the people on here that are so quick to accuse others of this-ism and that-ism, are the worst offenders themselves

According to @Roger, if you stick up for yourself when accused of lying you are "a girl" and men can't be bullied if they are tall
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

Thing looking up for UKIP when even channel 4 couldn't find one person with a good word for Cammo.
  • Options

Inheritance Tax to be cut? Where UKIP lead (they announced they intended to scrap it) the Tories half-heartedly follow

Chronology

noun: chronology; plural noun: chronologies

the arrangement of events or dates in the order of their occurrence
  • Options

Probably.

In 2007, Labour ministers were writing 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

Then George delivered his IHT trick

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

Thing looking up for UKIP when even channel 4 couldn't find one person with a good word for Cammo.
    To be fair to the Conservatives, only 50% of the women interviewed put the letter straight in the bin, compared to 100% of the men. So maybe the thread header is on the right track
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    isam said:

Hugh called me a liar on the last thread for saying he had accused people of "drooling" over child abuse

I am bang to rights... he said "salivating"

Hugh • Posts: 832
    August 31

We desperately need someone to get a grip at the top, to allow us all to get a grip on our country.Racists, anti-immigration obsessives and Powellites have been salivating at this, and on PB we have seen some posters excitedly pushing their nasty, narrow agenda for days now.

It's about far, far more than that. And the victims deserve better than this kind of vile trash

Presumably you'll both be censored: him for being abusive, and you for mentioning it.

I'm still trying to work out what I did wrong today to be prevent from commenting on Roger's post, other than be the recipient of verbal abuse. Could @PBModerator enlighten me?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

It's incredible really that the people on here that are so quick to accuse others of this-ism and that-ism, are the worst offenders themselves

According to @Roger, if you stick up for yourself when accused of lying you are "a girl" and men can't be bullied if they are tall
    I think he thinks kp is a bit of a poofter.

He certainly thinks that men being prosecuted for groping women is a lot of fuss about nothing.
  • Options
    "Celebrity Labour peer Lord Sugar has called for Ed Miliband to be replaced as party leader – by Gordon Brown."

LOL...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

I think he thinks kp is a bit of a poofter.

He certainly thinks that men being prosecuted for groping women is a lot of fuss about nothing.
    I'm not allowed to comment on his posts. But you can ask Sean Fear about what was said with regards to Roman Polanski.
  • Options
    Isam I cannot comment on whether he was bullied or not, just pointing out there was a clear clash of personalities in the England Dressing Room
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 1h1 hour ago
    Given recent events I half expect that Boy George quote to become a Labour election poster. "Ed Miliband. Not creepy in any way".
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    If anyone is seriously worried about Inheritance Tax they presumably won't be voting so as to get a Lab / LD Government.

Remember the LD policy - scrap the IHT threshold completely - tax the lot as income - and of course that'll mean anything over £150k at 50% as per Labour's new top rate.

So Tax on a £300k property will be approx £125k depending on other income if a sole beneficiary.

Tax on a £300k property today - zero.

But don't worry - LibLabCon are all the same. Unless you might be inheriting a property post May 2015!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So Dave sends out a letter accusing UKIP of turning the by election into a media circus and then within hours announces he is going to visit the Constituency 5 times in the next 5 weeks.

You couldn't make it up......
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

To be fair to the Conservatives, only 50% of the women interviewed put the letter straight in the bin, compared to 100% of the men. So maybe the thread header is on the right track
    And the other woman who read it didn't believe him.
    Though it all depends on if the journalist picked the right people.

Though I'm not surprised, if you received a letter from the PM during a crucial byelection campaign anyone could react the same way.
    Rule no.1 Never believe a politician's promise just before an election.
  • Options
    Isam There was a similar clash of personalities between David Beckham and Alex Ferguson
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Isam I cannot comment on whether he was bullied or not, just pointing out there was a clear clash of personalities in the England Dressing Room

They all seem a bit full of themselves to me. Pietersen, Anderson, Broad & Swann.
  • Options
    oldnatoldnat Posts: 136

Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

How does telling a story about how the biggest improvement in the NHS was that you got morphine to ease the pain as you die give one confidence in the much vaunted institution.

I'd have thought they would have been better advised telling a story about someone's survival? Especially after Mid Staffs......
    Since I'm due for major surgery, I've just made an "Advance Directive" to ensure that I get precisely that to prioritise pain relief over longevity if things go wrong.

I've no idea how NHS England works, but I'm surprised to learn that providing adequate morphine is seen as being something new.
  • Options
    The front page of the Sun is for my fellow fans of classical music, especially Mr Nabavi

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bz7_dK8CUAA0NHa.jpg
  • Options
    @oldnat

Hellloooooooooooooooooo and good luck with your surgery
  • Options
    I have said on the site before - to complete derision most of the time - that KP was a clear victim of bullying. I haven't been at all surprised therefore to see him make that exact allegation in his book. The way the fake KP account was run was disgraceful - an awful way to treat an opponent never mind a teammate.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: the UKIP surge continues - its highest ever rating with @YouGov. LAB 34%, CON 30%, UKIP 18% LDEM 8%.
  • Options
    Isam Well I would expect you would be had you played for England, look at Geoff Boycott. Though the likes of Atherton, Broad and Cook seem more laid back
  • Options
    isam said:

@suttonnick

@suttonnick

David Cameron's Premiership

"Its's just a jump to the left....

AND THEN A STEP TO THE RIIIIGGHHHT"!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-vgGuTD8A
    Complete desperation now. They'll try anything
  • Options
    She is no doubt most inspired by the Magic Flute.
  • Options
    Hello surge:

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 2m2 minutes ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: the UKIP surge continues - its highest ever rating with @YouGov. LAB 34%, CON 30%, UKIP 18% LDEM 8%.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    oldnat said:

Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Since I'm due for major surgery, I've just made an "Advance Directive" to ensure that I get precisely that to prioritise pain relief over longevity if things go wrong.

I've no idea how NHS England works, but I'm surprised to learn that providing adequate morphine is seen as being something new.
    Harry Smith this 91 year old came on Labour's conference stage and spoke about how as a youngster in the 1930's he had to listen to someone die in agony without pain relief. The implication being that now we have the NHS we get adequate pain relief (when we're dying).

I just thought that there are many more optimistic types of story that Labour might have chosen for their guests to tell them at conference about the NHS?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Speedy said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

And the other woman who read it didn't believe him.
    Though it all depends on if the journalist picked the right people.

Though I'm not surprised, if you received a letter from the PM during a crucial byelection campaign anyone could react the same way.
    Rule no.1 Never believe a politician's promise just before an election.
    I must say, I'm surprised not to have seen any vox pops tapping into this vast reservoir of hatred there's meant to be for Mark Reckless in this constituency. I'm beginning to feel (utterly unscientifically, and I could be wrong) that the Tories are in for a big boot up the arse here.

And far from what some posters were claiming today -that a Tory win would be the end for UKIP, but on the other hand a Tory loss can be easily shrugged off, it seems that a loss would be a massive blow -especially since Cameron plans to get so personally involved. If they lose this, surely there will be a vote of no confidence?

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

@tnewtondunn

ENP 4.1
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    edited October 2014

@tnewtondunn

Solid majority for Labour on 34% of the vote.

Labour must be kicking themselves they don't have someone better than Ed Miliband. With a really good leader and the right wing vote split they would be preparing to party like it's 1997.
  • Options
    Bedfordshire police seem to be particularly bad at picking up paedophiles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29620474
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Haha,

You can see her perform here

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/forget-butt-twerking-sara-x-mills-can-make-her-boobs-dance-to-mozart-4905174/
  • Options
    Tonight's yougov

Highest ever UKIP rating

Labour 34% (-)
    Tory 30% (-1)
    UKIP 18% (+1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    https://twitter.com/search?q=yougov&src=typd
  • Options
    A year ago I expected the the GE result to be 38,28,18,8 for LAB,CON,UKIP and LD's, just for fun.
    These past few months have it bang on with the exception of Labour.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    HYUFD said:

Tonight's yougov

Highest ever UKIP rating

Labour 34% (-)
    Tory 30% (-1)
    UKIP 18% (+1)
    LD 8% (+1)
    https://twitter.com/search?q=yougov&src=typd

Tory slump continues! Save Dave! God help Basil!
  • Options
    Is the BBC going to report this ITV story about hundreds of child rapists walking the streets of Manchester?

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-14/itv-news-investigation-finds-hundreds-of-child-abusers-walking-free-in-manchester-due-to-police-failings/

I'm not familiar with how they're supposed to treat a news report ITN. On the one hand, it's a rival, but on the other the BBC is supposed to work in the national interest. Do they just give it a day before it's reported or something? Presumably the papers will run with it tomorrow and they'll have to then cover it...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Bedfordshire police seem to be particularly bad at picking up paedophiles:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29620474

How many local police authorities have trouble in that sector? I've lost count.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

antifrank said:

Haha,

You can see her perform here

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/14/forget-butt-twerking-sara-x-mills-can-make-her-boobs-dance-to-mozart-4905174/
    That's what's called keeping abreast of developments
This discussion has been closed.