Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP move up in tonight’s phone polls while the Tories slip

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    RodCrosby said:

Palestinian State recognised

274:12

Huzzah.

Alan Duncan deserves a great deal of credit tackling this issue, courageous.

We do have a historic responsibility.

• Options
    Pong said:

I missed the Farage documentary. Was it worth watching?

Oh, btw great news. The Catholic church just became a teeny bit less homophobic;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/catholic-church-acknowledges-gay-people-have-gifts-and-qualities-to-offer-at-synod-9792012.html

It's a start.

No, not unless you were ever curious as to what Romford Market was like.
  • Options
    is the line "But one MP said Mr Miliband is “bunkerised” are unaware of how poorly he is regarded by colleagues." written in proper English? Doesn't it miss something?

RodCrosby said:

"One long-standing Labour MP told The Daily Telegraph he has resorted to reassuring his constituents that Mr Miliband may never become Prime Minister in a bid to shore up his personal vote."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11160185/Labour-whips-quiz-MPs-over-Miliband-concerns.html

Northern MPs have warned them that they want Mr Miliband to "speak English"

Oh dear, that's a lost cause.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Pong said:

Oh, btw great news. The Catholic church just became a teeny bit less homophobic;

I used to think I was the most cynical git I knew but when I read about that earlier I felt a tiny bit uplifted despite myself.
  • Options

You disagree with Dave and George that it was a big mistake?

I agree with them that it's a good reform - perhaps an indispensable one. As I said at the time, it was probably a political battle too far in a parliament where there were lots of other things to address; in politics you have to choose your time for taking on vested interests, and this was a battle I'd have pencilled in for the second term.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    For Richard Nabavi

A senior Cabinet minister told The Times newspaper: “We’ve made three mistakes that I regret, the first being restructuring the NHS. The rest are minor.”

One insider said the plans, which were drawn up by Mr Lansley, were “unintelligible gobbledygook” and an ally of Chancellor George Osborne said: “George kicks himself for not having spotted it and stopped it. He had the opportunity then and he didn’t take it.”

A former No 10 adviser also told The Times: “No one apart from Lansley had a clue what he was really embarking on, certainly not the Prime Minister. He [Lansley] kept saying his grand plans had the backing of the medical establishment and we trusted him. In retrospect it was a mistake.”
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,910
    Pong

"I missed the Farage documentary. Was it worth watching?"

Yes very good if you detest Farage as much as I do
  • Options

For Richard Nabavi

A senior Cabinet minister told The Times newspaper: “We’ve made three mistakes that I regret, the first being restructuring the NHS. The rest are minor.”

One insider said the plans, which were drawn up by Mr Lansley, were “unintelligible gobbledygook” and an ally of Chancellor George Osborne said: “George kicks himself for not having spotted it and stopped it. He had the opportunity then and he didn’t take it.”

A former No 10 adviser also told The Times: “No one apart from Lansley had a clue what he was really embarking on, certainly not the Prime Minister. He [Lansley] kept saying his grand plans had the backing of the medical establishment and we trusted him. In retrospect it was a mistake.”

Yeah yeah, unattributed quotes taken out of context. So what?
  • Options

is the line "But one MP said Mr Miliband is “bunkerised” are unaware of how poorly he is regarded by colleagues." written in proper English?

No, it's not good English!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

is the line "But one MP said Mr Miliband is “bunkerised” are unaware of how poorly he is regarded by colleagues." written in proper English? Doesn't it miss something?

"are" should be "and". Misprint, most likely...
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

The LibDims had a certain currency for a while.

ConDem coalition was quite clever.

Others:

Scot Gnats
    Camoron
    Cameroons

Harriet Harperson I never liked because it replaced 'man' with 'son' which undermined the joke.

I know a few from computing:

Crapple
    Windoze
  • Options

I agree with them that it's a good reform - perhaps an indispensable one. As I said at the time, it was probably a political battle too far in a parliament where there were lots of other things to address; in politics you have to choose your time for taking on vested interests, and this was a battle I'd have pencilled in for the second term.
    So why are they briefing it was a big mistake. Perhaps because its brought the NHS to its financial knees.

If they thought its a good reform dont think they would describe it as in todays briefing do you?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by three points: CON 31%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 17%

I was wrong!

ENP 4.0
    Pardon?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

For Richard Nabavi

Same senior cabinet minisister that said there would be a Nat currency union ?

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

"are" should be "and". Misprint, most likely...
    who do they think they're? The Guardian? Shameful!

is the line "But one MP said Mr Miliband is “bunkerised” are unaware of how poorly he is regarded by colleagues." written in proper English?

No, it's not good English!
    Do we think Northern voters will understand it?

• Options
    MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by three points: CON 31%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 17%

I was wrong!

ENP 4.0
    Pardon?
    Effective Number of Parties. See thread, passim
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Kim jong Un watch -

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

+++ BREAKING: North Korean news agency says Kim Jong Un makes first public appearance in 40 days http://apne.ws/1tXnGRr +++

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014

So why are they briefing it was a big mistake. Perhaps because its brought the NHS to its financial knees.

If they thought its a good reform dont think they would describe it as in todays briefing do you?
    What briefing? It's a journalist writing an article. Are you so ignorant of politics that you don't know journalists pick juicy bits from stuff they've heard in order to make a story?

In any case, there's nothing in the article which contradicts what I said. The reforms are good (and would have been better without the LibDem wobbles), but may still have been a political mistake.

Having said that, the moaning about the NHS is rather muted at the moment. All governments get moaning from the vested interests:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4943596.stm

And that was when money was pouring into the coffers from the City at a rate never seen before or since.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    I think I'll wait until Clacton unwinds and then start individual seat bets. Though I already have a bit on the LDs to win Watford.
  • Options
    @DPMcBride: In @TheTimes tomorrow, I say Ed M needs to change his leadership style, or Labour needs to change its leader: http://t.co/bVpnkXg4is
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

For Richard Nabavi

Same senior cabinet minisister that said there would be a Nat currency union ?

No idea perhaps the police could access the Times sources phone records.

• Options

Kim jong Un watch -

amol rajan ✔ @amolrajan

+++ BREAKING: North Korean news agency says Kim Jong Un makes first public appearance in 40 days http://apne.ws/1tXnGRr +++

Has he been in the desert? Is he the second coming?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pong said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/catholic-church-acknowledges-gay-people-have-gifts-and-qualities-to-offer-at-synod-9792012.html

It's a start.

You mean like raping children? 81% of victims of clerical child abuse in the USA were boys.

Actually reading your link, I find:
    The document said the question warranted “serious reflection” on how to educate people on the Roman Catholic position on sex and confirmed that the Church cannot consider gay marriage “on the same footing” as heterosexual partnerships.
    The document also discussed non-religious marriages and cohabitation between straight couples, saying the Church must recognise the modern reality while “clearly presenting the ideal” of Catholic marriage.
    Gays exist. Whoopee.

To end on a positive note; not many gays have abortions, an infinitely greater evil.
  • Options

What briefing? It's a journalist writing an article. Are you so ignorant of politics that you don't know journalists pick juicy bits from stuff they've heard in order to make a story?

In any case, there's nothing in the article which contradicts what I said. The reforms are good (and would have been better without the LibDem wobbles), but may still have been a political mistake.

Having said that, the moaning about the NHS is rather muted at the moment. All governments get moaning from the vested interests:

And that was when money was pouring into the coffers from the City at a rate never seen before or since.
    So you didnt see the Times before you made your the reforms are good comments did you?

It is clear Dave and George are trying to neutralise the issue by blaming Lansley

At least thats what Tory PBers who saw the article were saying this morning.

Very muted moaning on the first strike for 32 years
    You really are incredible no wonder the NHS is so toxic for your party
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

The LibDims had a certain currency for a while.

ConDem coalition was quite clever.

Others:

Scot Gnats
    Camoron
    Cameroons

Harriet Harperson I never liked because it replaced 'man' with 'son' which undermined the joke.

I know a few from computing:

Crapple
    Windoze
    Camoron is new to me but a distinguished addition to the album. Fair point about Harperson.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

I was wrong!

ENP 4.0
    Pardon?
    If we get to near four ENP does Bertha perform a reverse ferret?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,125
    Ninoinoz said:

Pong said:

It's a start.

You mean like raping children? 81% of victims of clerical child abuse in the USA were boys.

The document said the question warranted “serious reflection” on how to educate people on the Roman Catholic position on sex and confirmed that the Church cannot consider gay marriage “on the same footing” as heterosexual partnerships.
    The document also discussed non-religious marriages and cohabitation between straight couples, saying the Church must recognise the modern reality while “clearly presenting the ideal” of Catholic marriage.
    Gays exist. Whoopee.

To end on a positive note; not many gays have abortions, an infinitely greater evil.

Apparently there wasn't any child abuse carried out by Catholic priests, it was all am invention of the BBC
  • Options
    Fame and power goes to some peoples head.

Andrew Pierce @toryboypierce

The new Mrs Clooney is in Greece campaigning for Britain to give back Elgin Marbles. What's it got to do with her.

• Options

Ozzy doesn't appear to agree with you, that it was a good reform. Not according to the reports this morning.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,125
    Things I have learnt today : there are a great many academic economists in the US who blame Britain leaving the gold standard for the depression of the 1930s.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Pong said:

It's a start.

Gays exist. Whoopee.

Lavender mafia.

Of course it's ok for some people to discriminate and promote their own in some institutions like the media, Hollywood, politics, women's fashion, the Catholic church...
  • Options
    A former number 10 advisor BRIEFED the Times that "No one apart from Lansley had a clue what he was really embarking on, certainly not the prime minister.“

We’ve made three mistakes that I regret, the first being restructuring the NHS. The rest are minor,” a CABINET MINISTER TELLS the Times.

You are right nobody is briefing LOL

• Options

Poppy cock. It's not the first strike for 32 years:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/sep/22/uk.health

Nor is it the first dispute over pay - the only difference is that Labour gave in:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/jun/07/nhs.health

http://metro.co.uk/2007/07/23/last-bid-to-halt-mass-nhs-strike-561971/

But that was when the City was bankrolling Labour profligacy.

The only consolation we will get from a Miliband government if, God forbid, it happens, will be the grim amusement of watching all this load of manure land in his lap.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The new Mrs Clooney is in Greece campaigning for Britain to give back Elgin Marbles. What's it got to do with her.

How many Greek-Americans are there? Clooney wouldn't be the first actor to try to become President...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

I was wrong!

ENP 4.0
    Pardon?
    If we get to near four ENP does Bertha perform a reverse ferret?
    No, the wheels come off FPTP and it is invariably replaced...
  • Options
    Scots Nits was of course a 'hilarious misspelling' that did the rounds on here.

Nothing comes close to Dave Chameleon for me. So contrived a pun no one could ever stoop as low again.
  • Options

Ozzy doesn't appear to agree with you, that it was a good reform. Not according to the reports this morning.

Not so. The reports were that he thought it was a mistake. I agree, and I said so here at the time. That doesn't mean it's not a good reform.
  • Options

Nor is it the first dispute over pay - the only difference is that Labour gave in:

The only consolation we will get from a Miliband government if, God forbid, it happens, will be the grim amusement of watching all this load of manure land in his lap.
    "Gave in" being a somewhat inflammatory way of presenting what others might call "agreeing a deal". God forbid the government capitulates to the nurses.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ninoinoz said:

Pong said:

It's a start.

Gays exist. Whoopee.

Apparently there wasn't any child abuse carried out by Catholic priests, it was all am invention of the BBC

I guess the Boy's Scouts didn't work out.

NAMBLA.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Scots Nits was of course a 'hilarious misspelling' that did the rounds on here.

Nothing comes close to Dave Chameleon for me. So contrived a pun no one could ever stoop as low again.

And yet it is one of the few that was used by an opposing political party. Tragic.

I don't remember the Tories making an ad featuring Miliband the millipede, but maybe I missed it?
  • Options
    To @Ninoinoz

We have your Pope and he's going to do what we want.

From,

The Gays

xx

(Those kisses were with tongue)
  • Options
    edited October 2014

How many Greek-Americans are there? Clooney wouldn't be the first actor to try to become President...
    Well if he did run,he wouldn't be after the English American vote,the population dropping fast in that bracket ;-)

(1980 census; self reported)[1]

(2010 census; self reported)[2]

9.0% of the U.S. population (2010)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    O/T

I am getting seriously concerned at the rising tide of homophobia on this site.

Admittedly it is restricted to a small number of posters - but it is creating a very unpleasant atmosphere.

There is always going to be a certain level of 'banter' and abuse going on - but this is something that the moderation team should be tackling.

If it was racist language being used, action would be taken. Why should homophobic language be permitted?

I will no doubt be called a liberal bigot again or some of the more colourful terms of abuse that were hurled my way a day or two ago when I raised the topic of homophobia before. But I will continue to flag it up when it happens - as it really should never be tolerated.
  • Options

"Gave in" being a somewhat inflammatory way of presenting what others might call "agreeing a deal". God forbid the government capitulates to the nurses.

Well, any fool can stop a strike by giving in to the demands. Many fools did, 1965-1979, with absolutely disastrous results - amongst which were an ever-increasing number of strikes of course.

Since public sector workers are hugely better paid than their private-sector equivalents, at a time of very, very tight public finances, it would be irresponsible to increase pay even further.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi

The Coalition does have the enviable record of getting both the Midwives and Headteachers to strike for the first time in history.
  • Options

First ever strike by Midwives

First national strike by NHS staff over payfor 32 years

As you say very muted
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Richard_Nabavi

The Coalition does have the enviable record of getting both the Midwives and Headteachers to strike for the first time in history.

I'm quite certain a future Miliband government would break all records of that sort.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Ninoinoz said:

Pong said:

It's a start.

eh?

What's that got to do with how the church treats a young boy or girl who is brave enough to be honest about their sexuality?
  • Options
    Neil said:

To @Ninoinoz

We have your Pope and he's going to do what we want.

From,

The Gays

xx

(Those kisses were with tongue)

Nope. But thanks for our concise theological analysis.

The key doctrine is contained in Humanae Vitae - where contraception was confirmed as sinful. There will be no change to that under this Pope. Thus no change to regarding homosexual acts as sinful.

What you must remember is that there is a large and fast growing church in Africa and they make my views on homosexuality look positively liberal. This is (I think) what the synod is addressing.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

rcs1000 said:

Try actually reading my post before making a complete arse of yourself.

An apology, please.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,016

O/T

Admittedly it is restricted to a small number of posters - but it is creating a very unpleasant atmosphere.

There is always going to be a certain level of 'banter' and abuse going on - but this is something that the moderation team should be tackling.

If it was racist language being used, action would be taken. Why should homophobic language be permitted?

I will no doubt be called a liberal bigot again or some of the more colourful terms of abuse that were hurled my way a day or two ago when I raised the topic of homophobia before. But I will continue to flag it up when it happens - as it really should never be tolerated.

Care to point out any?
  • Options
    Strikers like spoiled children are best not indulged..
  • Options
    Pong said:

Ninoinoz said:

Pong said:

It's a start.

eh?

What's that got to do with how the church treats a young boy or girl who is brave enough to be honest about their sexuality?
    So, you didn't notice the clerical child abuse scandal in the USA? Do you live in a cave?

Do you honestly expect a Catholic to ignore it? Not to take on board some lessons?

To be blunt, homosexual Catholics were welcomed into the highest positions in the Catholic Church in America and, boy, did they let us down.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

To be blunt, homosexual Catholics were welcomed into the highest positions in the Catholic Church in America and, boy, did they let us down.

I think that's what you were looking for, @isam.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

So, you approve of child rape? Because homosexuals did it?

I think you'd better clarify your position.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

So, you approve of child rape? Because homosexuals did it?

I think you'd better clarify your position.
    Oh, bless you, Nino, I enjoy a good mud wrestle from time to time but I think I'll pass.

• Options
    RobD said:

Ninoinoz said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Palestinian State recognised

274:12

Well not at all, actually.

A non-binding motion that means absolutely nothing.

What a great use of parliamentary time...
    Let's wait until Her Majesty actually receives the High Commissioner from Palestine.
    Would Palestine join the Commonwealth?
    According to Sunil, all countries should ;-)
    Not exactly :)

All current Commonwealth members
    The former members (all of which have English as an official language):
    Ireland
    Zimbabwe
    Gambia

The nine other countries with English as an official language:
    USA USA!
    Philippines
    Eritrea
    Liberia
    Sudan
    South Sudan
    Palau
    Marshall Islands
    Micronesia

And Hong Kong (in spite if its return to China, still using English officially!)

And the other 24 non-Commonwealth EU nations, man! English is an official language of the EU, of course!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

O/T

Yeah, and more generally the endless squabbling about race and sex is at best tedious. Bring back AV and Scottish referendums.
  • Options
    Divisions lists are now out.

The Nos were

Beith, rh Sir Alan
    Blackman, Bob
    Djanogly, Mr Jonathan
    Dodds, rh Mr Nigel
    Freer, Mike
    McCrea, Dr William
    Mills, Nigel
    Offord, Dr Matthew
    Paisley, Ian
    Shannon, Jim
    Simpson, David
    Syms, Mr Robert

Now let's look who showed up for yes...or rather who didn't show up
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

If you're going to be blunt, I will be too.

You're projecting your own... Actually I'd better stop before I get banned.
  • Options
    @Andrea

Wouldnt have been many 'Nos' without the DUP!
  • Options
    Ayes

Dougie
    Benn
    Burnham
    Coaker
    Yvette
    Cruddas
    Curran
    De Piero
    the 2 Eagles
    Flint
    Harriet
    Khan
    Leslie
    EdM
    Reynolds
    Smith
    Thornberry
    Trickett
    Umunna
    Rosie

rest of shadow cabinet absent
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    What Tories voted for Palestine?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

O/T

Yeah, and more generally the endless squabbling about race and sex is at best tedious. Bring back AV and Scottish referendums.
    The problem is with ukip doing so well it brings out lots of trolls who smear us as BNP or racist, then the denials kick off a row

Roger keeps linking to pictures of hitler, Carlotta quotes interviewers rather than Farage, logical song links to spoofs from dick Delingpole, tonight hugh has called ukip racist

You can't really expect people not to respond when they're constantly trolled

• Options
    Some Tories for the Aye

Bacon
    Baker
    Benyon
    Bottomley
    Bridgen
    Crouch
    Davies from Monmouth
    Dinky
    Fuller
    Garnier
    Gillan
    Grieve
    Hollobone
    Holloway
    Jones David
    Latham
    Leigh
    Leslie Charlotte
    Lumley
    Main
    McCartney
    Menzies
    Ollerenshaw
    Robathan
    Robertson, both Hugh and Laurence
    Soames
    Bob Stewart
    Stephenson
    Turner from Isle of Wight
    Wharton
    Wollaston
    Yeo

• Options
    isam said:

O/T

The problem is with ukip doing so well it brings out lots of trolls who smear us as BNP or racist, then the denials kick off a row

Roger keeps linking to pictures of hitler, Carlotta quotes interviewers rather than Farage, logical song links to spoofs from dick Delingpole, tonight hugh has called ukip racist

Aw the poor wee lambs...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

O/T

Aw the poor wee lambs...
    Just explaining why race gets mentioned so much, I'd be very surprised if ukip posters were the ones instigating it

Don't see why you are always so provocative to be honest, I can't remember ever even responding to anything you said
  • Options

O/T

Excuse me? Aren't you bidding to join the House of Commons?

Part of your job will be to clear up the mess in Rotherham, so you'd better get used to it.

Or find alternative employment.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Ninoinoz said:

If you're going to be blunt, I will be too.

You're projecting your own... Actually I'd better stop before I get banned.
    That's not very blunt, if I may say so.

Do go on .....
  • Options
    isam said:

O/T

And Sunil keeps tweeting about UKIP's strong by-election performance in 2014 :)
  • Options
    I see Smithson Jr. has slinked off after making a complete fool of himself.

Is this now the official PB way?

I do sympathise, though.
  • Options
    anyone got a complete list of 2014 Euro results by council area?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

I do sympathise, though.

Well, that's one take on the last hour or so on pbc.

• Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    UKIP must be rid of Energy spokesman Roger Helmer. He's talking gobbldygook.http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/sack-roger-helmer-ukips-policies-are.html
  • Options
    Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

I do sympathise, though.

Another would be that I've accused homosexuals of heinous crimes and your response has been to post snarky and irrelevant comments.

A true intellectual giant.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

I do sympathise, though.

Another would be that I've accused homosexuals of heinous crimes
    Are you trying to blame us for Eurovision again? You'll never get yourself a man that way.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    isam said:

I know the temptation to respond to provocation, but it's unwise to give in. SeanT has trolled me for years (sometimes he's even right) - I reply now and then, but mostly I just chuckle and move on. Otherwise it goes round in circles, doesn't it?

Anyway, g'night all.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Well, in fairness, could you bear to listen to a lecture from Patricia Hewitt ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    I see Danger Mouse's homophobic friend has been ranting and raving for the last few hours.

G'night all ^_~
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    isam said:

Just explaining why race gets mentioned so much, I'd be very surprised if ukip posters were the ones instigating it

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n19/james-meek/in-farageland

thought this was quite interesting. clearly from a liberal left point of view, but maybe a bit more nuanced than the usual
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I see Danger Mouse's homophobic friend has been ranting and raving for the last few hours.

G'night all ^_~

I think those episodes were all censored by the communist bbc, so I don't remember penfold beign like that at all, somehow
  • Options
    Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

Neil said:

Ninoinoz said:

I do sympathise, though.

Another would be that I've accused homosexuals of heinous crimes
    Are you trying to blame us for Eurovision again? You'll never get yourself a man that way.
    Well, the British people voted for the Polish entry, yet this was excluded for some unfathomable reason.

Or just pure racism.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

G'night all ^_~

I think those episodes were all censored by the communist bbc, so I don't remember penfold beign like that at all, somehow
    Well, I suppose Danger Mouse appearing on ITV could be construed as BBC censorship.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Pulpstar said:

G'night all ^_~

Well, I suppose Danger Mouse appearing on ITV could be construed as BBC censorship.
    I just assumed you were cowardly pervert like Penfold was ?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

examples

Sefton PR^2 constituency (3 seats) 2010, quotas

Con 1.07
    Lab 1.55
    LD 1.13

Three parties all have a quota, so all seats are filled, 1 for each party. If these parties ran more than one candidate, the second preferences of voters for eliminated parties would come into play to decide which would be elected. 1 seat would be deducted from the national total for the three parties.

Bolton PR^2 constituency (3 seats) 2010, quotas

Con 1.35
    Lab 1.75
    LD 0.62

Two parties have a quota, with one seat indeterminate at this point. After comparing the relative performance of the parties across constituencies, Labour would probably get a second seat. Proceed with 1,2,3 to discriminate between candidates, as necessary.

Note that the Tories would win seats in areas they didn't under FPTP.

Taking England 2010 as an example.

Entitlement PR^2

Con 283
    Lab 142
    LD 106
    UKIP 2

Quotas obtained across the constituencies (seats remaining to be assigned)

Con 184 (99)
    Lab 106 (36)
    LD 52 (54)
    UKIP 0 (2)

To assign the remainders you could start with the smallest party (UKIP) and scan the (unfilled) constituencies to find its two best results, giving it seats there, and so on in order of size. Or you could use Buhagiar's Priority Queue, or some other method...

The PR^2 would be performed separately in the 4 nations, giving an overall UK (2010) result of:-

Con 302 (inc. 2 UCUNF)
    Lab 201
    LD 119
    SNP 8
    SF 7
    DUP 6
    SDLP 3
    PC 2
    UKIP 2
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Pulpstar said:

G'night all ^_~

its a zionist conspiracy, most likely
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,477
    edited October 2014
    Seems like I can't get ICM's tables to give the published tallies of 35, 31, 14, 11. Using their spiral of silence adjustment I get:

Lab 35.1
    Con 31.3
    UKIP 13.3
    LD 11.2

UKIP should really be 13%, not 14%.

Likewise, for Lord Ashcroft's 32, 28, 19, 8, I get:

Lab 32.0
    Con 27.8
    UKIP 18.2
    LD 9.6

UKIP should really be 18%, not 19%, and LD 10%, not 8%!

And on that bombshell, good night!
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

isam said:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n19/james-meek/in-farageland

thought this was quite interesting. clearly from a liberal left point of view, but maybe a bit more nuanced than the usual
    It would be if it wasn't such a selective piece written for effect (loads of urban liberal dog whistles all over the place). However he doesn't mention that it suffered 13 years of decline under a Labour MP 1997-2010 (Westminster ignored it for 40 years) whilst its neighbouring seat survived better under a Tory MP. He doesn't mention that Thanet has a single council so as ever Margate's gain (the Turner Gallery) is Ramsgate's loss. Margate always was the wealthier town. He omits to mention Ramsgate once had a small fishing industry which disappeared because of the CFP and had a lot more agriculture around it but the CAP has seen to that or that it had a significant mining community until first Labour and then the Tories closed all the Kent pits. Thanet and Ramsgate in particular has been up against it since the late 1960's

Still for the former chief of the Guardian's Moscow bureau, I suppose it must count for as factual as it can get even if it is as bleak as mid-winter in a Gulag in Siberia.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

@RodCrosby

Tell me how PR^2 maintains a constituency-candidate link, as you've claimed recently. Surely a big chunk of MPs would have to be top-ups?

I hope you can see from my examples that the implementation of PR^2 I have designed is intended to avoid:-

i) two classes of MP, constituency and list (top-ups)
    ii) the confusing 2 votes, one for the constituency, one for the list
    iii) lists altogether

although it would be perfectly possible to have a PR^2 system which included these, or a list only system (shudder), or various other electoral paraphernalia...
This discussion has been closed.