Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE15 debates take a big step forward – but what about t

Comments

• Options
    Neil said:

JBriskin said:

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole · 2m2 minutes ago
    Silence for Carswell. They are scared.

Should they have thrown their underwear at him?
    Not whilst Reverend Underpants is in the House.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    surbiton said:

Mmm interesting.

Sir Peter Tapsell and Zac Goldsmith are going to introduce Douglas Carswell....

I don't think UKIP can win in Richmond.
    Louth and Horncastle on the other hand must be a very strong prospect.
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar

Turkey's KEY motivation in all this is to not let an independent Kurdistan come into being. They're very wary of anything that defends or promotes 'Kurdism'. Hence they sit a few hundred yards away from a Kurdish massacre (over the border). We need boots on the ground to fight IS - Kurdish Peshmerga boots - but Turkey ain't gonna help that AT ALL.

Indeed - so long as IS don't explicitly invade Turkey then they won't fight them. So IS won't unless they are particularly stupid. And they seem to be cruel and evil but definitely not stupid.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Neil said:

JBriskin said:

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole · 2m2 minutes ago
    Silence for Carswell. They are scared.

Should they have thrown their underwear at him?
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes · 3m3 minutes ago
    Video of Carswell reducing the Establishment to silence coming in 3 mins...

• Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

Mmm interesting.

There is no reason why Goldsmith couldn't stand down in Richmond and fight a different seat for UKIP in May

Louth and Horncastle perhaps !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Pulpstar said:

Mmm interesting.

Has Louth and Horncastle been polled ?

Could Tapsell step down and force a by-election ?

Presumably he wouldn't stand but may well endorse the successor ?
    I thought Tapsell recently said that he was always a Tory and will always be a Tory, and that backing Dave is the best way to get a referendum?
    Saying "I was born a Tory and shall die a Tory" is no guarantee of staying in the Conservative Party
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mmm interesting.

I thought Tapsell recently said that he was always a Tory and will always be a Tory, and that backing Dave is the best way to get a referendum?
    Didn't Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless promise everlasting loyalty shortly before they left ?
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Mmm interesting.

Saying "I was born a Tory and shall die a Tory" is no guarantee of staying in the Conservative Party
    But the latter part of his comment.

Then again, Douglas Iscariot said the same thing back in March.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    JBriskin said:

Socrates said:

JBriskin said:

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal · 1m1 minute ago
    It makes no sense to exclude Greens but include UKIP in election TV debates, whether going by number of seats or polling. Media stitch-up

Except UKIP are on three times the polling as the Greens...
    It's a twitter quote from a respected political commentator, Socrates. I only thought it was relevant to the current thread.
    I was disagreeing with Hundal, not your good self. :)
  • Options
    Actually, it's unfair of me to compare Douglas Carswell to Judas Iscariot.

Judas had the decency to hang himself after his betrayal.
  • Options

Socrates said:

JBriskin said:

It makes no sense to exclude Greens but include UKIP in election TV debates, whether going by number of seats or polling. Media stitch-up

And Tories and Labour are on twice the polling for UKIP.
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling-report-average-2
    Polls do tend to jump around and are sometimes wrong.
    Which is why it's reasonable the Tories and Labour get a debate for themselves.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

What are they supposed to do, sing Nessun Dorma?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

JBriskin said:

Socrates said:

JBriskin said:

It's a twitter quote from a respected political commentator, Socrates. I only thought it was relevant to the current thread.
    I was disagreeing with Hundal, not your good self. :)
    Thanks for clarifying.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

Socrates said:

JBriskin said:

And Tories and Labour are on twice the polling for UKIP.
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling-report-average-2
    Polls do tend to jump around and are sometimes wrong.
    With the exception of the rise of UKIP and Cameron's EU treaty veto bounce, the polling for this parliament has been very stable. It has been close to static over the last year.
  • Options

JBriskin said:

What are they supposed to do, sing Nessun Dorma?
    No pics, no see, no video I have seen - no comment.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. Eagles, according to some traditions he fell into a pit filled with spikes.
  • Options
    LibDems on the rise!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Guardian voodoo poll on the debates

The Whopper (the big five plus Plaid and the SNP) 50%
    The Famous Five 23%
    The Four Musketeers 8%
    The Three Stooges 4%
    Dumb & Dumber 3%
    No Thank You 11%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/poll/2014/oct/13/leaders-debates-general-election-2015-nigel-farage?CMP=twt_gu

Half of them want a seven-way debate? How crap would that be? No-one would have the time to lay out a vision or establish themselves, and it would inevitably devolve into a rowdy shouting match. Look at the chaos on QT with only five panelists, and the pressure to be heard there is a fraction of what it will be in the debates.

All of which strongly reinforces my view/prejudice of Guardianistas as moronic idealogues.

• Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Financier said:

The Enemy Within

More than £250,000 of suspected Islamic State (IS) funds have been seized at Manchester Airport and other north-west ports in the past year, anti-terrorist officers said.

The NW Counter Terrorism Unit used civil powers under the Terrorism Act to confiscate cash found hidden in luggage or under clothing.

Most was seized from passengers flying from Manchester to Turkey, said police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29599902

A few days ago the BBC lead with £30k being raised by Muslim charities for Alan Henning´s family.

• Options
    If UKIP are on 14% with ICM, they are definitely on at least 14%.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    SeanT said:

I also got the AV result right, and was just about the only pb-er to call the 2010 election right, along with Bob Sykes, I think: A Tory NOM..

I did - although to be fair the Tories did win a number of northern marginals I had consistently said, even when the Tories were 20 points clear in the polls, they simply wouldn't win (Pendle, Rossendale etc), and it was my perception that the Tories were still uniformly toxic across the north which underpinned my predictions of no more than 300 seats. They did a bit better up here than I expected, and Labour were surprisingly more resilient in places you'd not have expected them to be. Plus they didn't make the gains from the LDs that I assumed. So I broadly got it right, but not necessarily for all the right reasons!

I hasten to add that if I rated the Tories 7/10 on the "northern toxicity scale" in 2010, i would say in 2014 it's now about 9.

Largely self-inflicted pain too, like cutting the totemic 50p band too soon and the pointless and expensive NHS re-organisation which the likes of me (and probably SeanT too) were decrying as an impending catastrophe in the face of others on the PB Right bigging up the wise and learned Lansley.

And they've got a surging UKIP, nearly winning the constituency a mile down the road from mine, and a collapsing LD vote to contend with!

I'd say Cameron's prospects in 2015 look about as rosy as Major's did in 1997! Major though had to contend with voter ennui at 18 years of the same old Tory faces and a youthful and vibrant Blair re-energising the nation.

Cameron's battling someone who can't even master a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    @ManOfKent

Very droll :)

Dumb and Dumber - which is which?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Usual Tory/UKIP vote trading depending on how much UKIP make the news.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,740
    Pulpstar said:

Feeding that into Electoral Calculus gives:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

I suspect that UKIP will do better than that, Clacton.
  • Options
    That's a lot of words for droll - _Bobajob_
  • Options
    @LordAshcroft: Ashcroft National Poll, 10-12 October: CON 28%, LAB 32%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 19%, GRN 5%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm
  • Options
    The Guardian never knowingly promotes Labour. Labour's lead doubles and it goes on about the Kippers!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I would've thought Zac Goldsmith would be more likely to defect to the Lib Dems (or even the Greens) than UKIP...
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, very low polling for both major parties.
  • Options
    Tories back in the 20s with the Great Gatsby (The Good Lord)
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

@ManOfKent

Very droll :)

Dumb and Dumber - which is which?

It depends which week it is. Given Miliband's recent speech and his woeful flight from Heywood he probably holds the dumber crown at the moment but I never discount Cameron's ability to put his foot in his mouth. I'm sure there is another Rebekah's horse episode just around the corner. He looked pretty furtive and cringing on the TV this morning talking about the debates, as it goes, in the way he refused to even say the name UKIP. It was pretty puerile.
  • Options
    Electoral calculus is like having a model that predicts t20 cricket runs using stats from 1995 One day matches

Sussex need 28 from 3 overs to win? No chance, 50/1!

• Options

Actually, it's unfair of me to compare Douglas Carswell to Judas Iscariot.

Judas had the decency to hang himself after his betrayal.

Other gospels have him cutting his bowels open. If you're a biblical literalist, you believe he somehow did both at the same time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I would've thought Zac Goldsmith would be more likely to defect to the Lib Dems (or even the Greens) than UKIP...

Has he defected?

I understand he is still what is classed as a "Non-dom", or a "Non-Dom".

Very charming on Tv - he appears to be quite passionate about power of recall.

• Options
    It's that time of the week again!

The Sunil on Sunday presents its latest ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week), for week-ending 12th October. Includes all polls with fieldwork end-dates 5th to 11th October inclusive. There were 11 such polls, with a total weighted sample-size of 16,396 (in brackets are changes from last week).

Lab 34.1% (-1.5)
    Con 31.5 (-1.1)
    UKIP 16.2% (+1.8)
    LD 8.1% (+0.7)

Lab lead 2.6% (-0.3)

Changes from our very first ELBOW, week-ending 17th August:

Lab -2.1%
    Con -1.6%
    UKIP +3.1%

LD -0.7%

Lab lead -0.5%

UKIP rising
    LD seem to be stabilising
    Lab and Con both falling
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    My dream of a much needed Tory ejection from office seems much closer to a reality right now.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

The Famous Five 23%
    The Four Musketeers 8%
    The Three Stooges 4%
    Dumb & Dumber 3%
    No Thank You 11%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/poll/2014/oct/13/leaders-debates-general-election-2015-nigel-farage?CMP=twt_gu

Half of them want a seven-way debate? How crap would that be? No-one would have the time to lay out a vision or establish themselves, and it would inevitably devolve into a rowdy shouting match. Look at the chaos on QT with only five panelists, and the pressure to be heard there is a fraction of what it will be in the debates.

All of which strongly reinforces my view/prejudice of Guardianistas as moronic idealogues.

I suspect the Scots Nats have been piling in. Its a voodoo poll after all
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    No one tell "the 45" what percentage the SNP got in Ashcroft's poll please.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

Boston and Skegness will go too. For sure.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    NHS the most important issue in the ICM poll.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Artist said:

Hah just had a look at the tables.

Can anyone point me to a poor subsample table for the SNP in the last fortnight ?

80,000 new SNP members since the indy ref - that is a staggering number for a Scotland only party and as I've said before is the equivalent of almost a million if the party were UK wide.

Is the 80k figure correct ?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    For all the Star Wars fans, a chance to see the movie as it should have been made!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/13/star-wars-fans-remake-the-empire-strikes-back
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Beginning to look as if no party will get over 30% in 2015!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

For all the Star Wars fans, a chance to see the movie as it should have been made!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/13/star-wars-fans-remake-the-empire-strikes-back

Nonsense, ESB was the best film in the entire Star Wars saga!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Smarmeron said:

I understand there may be three more Star Wars films - they would have to be sequels this time. I don't know the latin word for nine films. I would have thought the British film industry will get some investment of some sorts.

EDITED

• Options
    SeanT said:

antifrank said:

SeanT said:

@Pulpstar

Yet another of Dan "The Anti Tipster" Hodges' forecasts to go bust?

So far:

D. Miliband to win Lab leadership
    A. Murray to lose 2013 Wimbledon final
    N. Clegg to resign

If Dan bets on red, shovel everything you have on black

Hodges is constructing quite a portfolio of embarrassingly inaccurate predictions. He was telling us all for months that the YES vote didn't have a chance in the indyref, then suddenly in the last week he was all Oh yes of course the SNP might win but it won't matter much...

Risible.

He's a very fine writer, an interesting thinker, and a nice guy - but his soothsaying skills are, frankly, shite.
    Shall I remind you of your performance during the last weeks of the Indyref ?

You went all ponceyboots Gaylord over one poll and you were acting like it was the fall of Singapore.
    Best of all, SeanT and Dan Hodges share in common one tip - David Miliband for Labour party leader.
    Ouch.
    We all tipped David Miliband for leader, in that final week. How many pb-ers can say otherwise?

I can. I predicted an EdM win and a hung Parliament in 2010, having switched from a Tory majority position. I also forecast a Boris victory in 2008, which is what brought me to this place initially.

If I get it right, it's so obvious that it's not worth crowing about.

• Options

The Sunil on Sunday presents its latest ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week), for week-ending 12th October. Includes all polls with fieldwork end-dates 5th to 11th October inclusive. There were 11 such polls, with a total weighted sample-size of 16,396 (in brackets are changes from last week).

Lab 34.1% (-1.5)
    Con 31.5 (-1.1)
    UKIP 16.2% (+1.8)
    LD 8.1% (+0.7)

Lab lead 2.6% (-0.3)

Lab -2.1%
    Con -1.6%
    UKIP +3.1%

LD -0.7%

Lab lead -0.5%

UKIP rising
    Lab and Con both falling

Sunil

Why does The Sunil On Sunday come out on a Monday?

(Thinks....somehow I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking this.)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

@LordAshcroft: Ashcroft National Poll, 10-12 October: CON 28%, LAB 32%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 19%, GRN 5%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm

Lab Maj 40. No UKIP seats with Electoral Calculus.

Doesn’t seem right.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,740
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

Have the Kippers selected a candidate for Boston yet? For what must be as close as they are ever going to get to a 'gimme' it seems like they are being somewhat slow about it. Lack of a genuine local candidate? Waiting for a defector from somewhere else that needs a 'safe seat' as their current one isn't Kippery (eg Zac Goldsmith or Kate Hoey)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

Just to give it an air of reality, don't you just add in the UKIP seats where they are odds on, or plainly would be if any odds were being quoted?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Mmm interesting.

Louth and Horncastle on the other hand must be a very strong prospect.
    Patrick said:

Pulpstar

Turkey's KEY motivation in all this is to not let an independent Kurdistan come into being. They're very wary of anything that defends or promotes 'Kurdism'. Hence they sit a few hundred yards away from a Kurdish massacre (over the border). We need boots on the ground to fight IS - Kurdish Peshmerga boots - but Turkey ain't gonna help that AT ALL.

Indeed - so long as IS don't explicitly invade Turkey then they won't fight them. So IS won't unless they are particularly stupid. And they seem to be cruel and evil but definitely not stupid.
    East Lindsey Euro results (which includes Horncastle and Louth)

UKIP 44.00%
    Con 28.00%
    Lab 13.00%
    LD 5.00%
    Green 4.00%
    Other 6.00%

The seat includes Mablethorpe and the other seaside resorts north of Skegness so its potential UKIP territory. Unfortunately the County Council results are heavily influenced by a large Lincolnshire independents vote and UKIP didn't fight all the CC seats. So the 2013 CC results don't tell us much.

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Populus: Ed Miliband PM, Majority 4
    Ashcroft: Ed Miliband PM, Majority 40
    ICM: Ed Miliband PM, Majority 42

Swingback crossover swingback crossover tick tock tick tock....
  • Options

Doesn’t seem right.
    How many LibDem?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

The Famous Five 23%
    The Four Musketeers 8%
    The Three Stooges 4%
    Dumb & Dumber 3%
    No Thank You 11%

I suspect the Scots Nats have been piling in. Its a voodoo poll after all
    Ah. That's quiet possibly what happened. The Nats tend to flock together, don't they.
  • Options

Doesn’t seem right.
    The models are broken for UKIP doesn't take into account "Eastern stronghold" factor.
  • Options
    Ashcroft - since summer

Tory range 27-33
    Labour range 30-35

Call it 2 points.

UKIP 19 - the LD to Kippers creeping up, vote in Wales/SW up.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    edited October 2014

Lab 34.1% (-1.5)
    Con 31.5 (-1.1)
    UKIP 16.2% (+1.8)
    LD 8.1% (+0.7)

Lab lead 2.6% (-0.3)

Lab -2.1%
    Con -1.6%
    UKIP +3.1%

LD -0.7%

Lab lead -0.5%

UKIP rising
    Lab and Con both falling

Sunil

Um, we blame some of the pollsters for not releasing their tables on time! (I had to mail Opinium a couple of hours back, but they did get back to me pronto - thanks Adam D!)
  • Options

Doesn’t seem right.
    At a guess, OKC, such a vote share would give Labour a wafer thin majority, UKIP about ten seats, and the Greens a couple.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

Just to give it an air of reality, don't you just add in the UKIP seats where they are odds on, or plainly would be if any odds were being quoted?

Well, yes. I have £70 on them in this seat due to the you know what ^_~

I'd be miffed if they didn't win !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Doesn’t seem right.
    The models are broken for UKIP doesn't take into account "Eastern stronghold" factor.
    Probably not broken for Majority figures, as it is irrelevant if other seats are Tory UKIP LibDEM Green or anything else to calculate the majority.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,408
    edited October 2014

Lab 34.1% (-1.5)
    Con 31.5 (-1.1)
    UKIP 16.2% (+1.8)
    LD 8.1% (+0.7)

Lab lead 2.6% (-0.3)

Lab -2.1%
    Con -1.6%
    UKIP +3.1%

LD -0.7%

Lab lead -0.5%

UKIP rising
    Lab and Con both falling

Sunil

Um, we blame some of the pollsters for not releasing their tables on time! (I had to mail Opinium a couple of hours back, but they did get back to me pronto - thanks Adam D!)
    OK.

Not such a dumb question then. Phew.
  • Options
    The Guardian ICM in October 2009 had a Tory lead of 17%, the other two ICM polls that month had Tory leads of 19% and 17%
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

Doesn’t seem right.
    Probably not broken for Majority figures, as it is irrelevant if other seats are Tory UKIP LibDEM Green or anything else to calculate the majority.
    I just can't see a Labour majority of 40 seats given how their vote seems to evaporate like spring snow when people actually get to the polls.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

Maybe on those figures the fairest option for the debates would be to go with 3-3-3, with the third place rotating between Farage, Clegg and Farage again.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    edited October 2014
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

Have the Kippers selected a candidate for Boston yet? For what must be as close as they are ever going to get to a 'gimme' it seems like they are being somewhat slow about it. Lack of a genuine local candidate? Waiting for a defector from somewhere else that needs a 'safe seat' as their current one isn't Kippery (eg Zac Goldsmith or Kate Hoey)
    Don't understand all this talk about a possible Zac Goldsmith defection. It strikes me as wholly unlikely. The only reason I can see is that his father helped found the party, but as with Jemima I don't think the political views of either sibling have much in common with those of the late Sir James.
  • Options
    The ICM does appear to back up Survation and UKIP surge.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Artist said:

Can anyone point me to a poor subsample table for the SNP in the last fortnight ?

80,000 new SNP members since the indy ref - that is a staggering number for a Scotland only party and as I've said before is the equivalent of almost a million if the party were UK wide.

80k is total memeber. They already had 25k existing so "Only" got 55k new memebers.
  • Options
    Is Philip Hammond urging the Scots to hang Alex Salmond?

Telegraph News ‏@TelegraphNews

Philip Hammond says he hopes the experience of Scotland's referendum 'will be a useful model for Iraq' http://fw.to/KXB1snE
  • Options
    Hang on! I just included an Ashcroft national for ELBOW - dates are 8/9 October.

So this is another Ashcroft?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Artist said:

80k is total memeber. They already had 25k existing so "Only" got 55k new memebers.
    Still a huge surge.

Panic is going to set in the SLAB ranks when some Scotland only polls come out I reckon.
  • Options
    joncraigSKY ‏@joncraig

MPs predicting Michael Gove may move writ tomorrow for Rochester & Strood by-election on Nov 20. Tories holding primary to pick candidate
  • Options

Hang on! I just included an Ashcroft national for ELBOW - dates are 8/9 October.

Yes, the 8/9th poll is the post conference polling, conducted online

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Post-Conference-poll-summary-October-2014.pdf
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    The Prime Minister will be either Ed Miliband or David Cameron. Have a debate between those two.

Then let the rest - UKIP, SNP, Lib Dem, Green - debate amongst themselves in a second.
  • Options
    Is Heywood and Middleton a sort of General Election predictor -

Labour win but very narrowly and unconvincingly, the Conservatives fail to impress too with UKIP surging ahead in votes but failing to take many seats ?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    edited October 2014

The way it's going we could get a Labour landslide on 32% of the vote (that's not a prediction, btw!)
  • Options

ELBOW shows them on 16.2% this week, +1.8% on last week.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Artist said:

Still a huge surge.

Panic is going to set in the SLAB ranks when some Scotland only polls come out I reckon.
    My bet is the Scotland only polls will put SNP/Labour neck and neck (within 2 percentage points). Which would mean big vote gain but very, very few seats going Labour->SNP. If SNP are going to make big seat gains it will have to be at the expense of the Lib Dems but I haven't checked to whta the results were in terms of GE2010 in the Lib Dem seats.

The Lib Dem apocalypse that happened at Holyrood is not generalisable to GE15 as Scottish voters clearly vote differently in Holyrood and Westminster elections.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited October 2014

The way it's going we could get a Labour landslide on 32% of the vote (that's not a prediction, btw!)
    Yup, I think we're going to see some very odd results at the next election.

Such as some Lib Dem gains, and some Labour losses to the Tories.

Of course there's an inherent danger of reading too much in the Heywood and Middleton result on a low turnout.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,950

No it doesn't. It's fascinating to see what short memories some people have. Last month, and indeed for every month since time immaterial, I've been telling people that ICM is perfectly capable and has a history of throwing out occasional outlier numbers for individual parties.

The 9% UKIP number last month (down seven from August) was one such. The "surge" today needs to be seen in that context and this is a correction from last month which had all the UKIP fans on here wailing.

The key number today is of course not the UKIP number in isolation but the Conservative number of around 30% which is in contrast to YouGov's 35% but sits well with other pollsters.

Beyond that, Ashcroft has Con-UKIP at 47%, ICM has it at 45%. That's the key ratio for next year - the Conservatives need that vote to split differently from 28-19 or 31-14 to more likely 38-8. If that doesn't happen, the Conservatives won't het anywhere near a majority.

• Options

Yes, the 8/9th poll is the post conference polling, conducted online

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Post-Conference-poll-summary-October-2014.pdf
    Thanks - however, will include that next week as (to keep things consistent) we define an "ELBOW week" as everything with f/work end-dates from Sunday to Saturday (eg. 5th Oct to 11th Oct).
  • Options
    Most importanly, I get to watch the Shawshank Redemption on the big screen tonight.
  • Options
    Is 19% a new peak for UKIP with Ashcroft?

England: Lab 33, Tory 30, UKIP 21.

Take London out, and what do you have left? A three way dust-up.
  • Options
    @TSE

Tories still got a long way to fall if we assume history is to repeat itself then
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Con 250
    Lab 346
    LD 26
    UKIP 0

I don't think they have selected a candidate yet... maybe they are waiting for someone. I don't think it will be Neil Hamilton
  • Options

SeanT said:

antifrank said:

SeanT said:

@Pulpstar

Yet another of Dan "The Anti Tipster" Hodges' forecasts to go bust?

So far:

D. Miliband to win Lab leadership
    A. Murray to lose 2013 Wimbledon final
    N. Clegg to resign

If Dan bets on red, shovel everything you have on black

Hodges is constructing quite a portfolio of embarrassingly inaccurate predictions. He was telling us all for months that the YES vote didn't have a chance in the indyref, then suddenly in the last week he was all Oh yes of course the SNP might win but it won't matter much...

Risible.

He's a very fine writer, an interesting thinker, and a nice guy - but his soothsaying skills are, frankly, shite.
    Shall I remind you of your performance during the last weeks of the Indyref ?

You went all ponceyboots Gaylord over one poll and you were acting like it was the fall of Singapore.
    Best of all, SeanT and Dan Hodges share in common one tip - David Miliband for Labour party leader.
    Ouch.
    We all tipped David Miliband for leader, in that final week. How many pb-ers can say otherwise?

I can. I predicted an EdM win and a hung Parliament in 2010, having switched from a Tory majority position. I also forecast a Boris victory in 2008, which is what brought me to this place initially.

If I get it right, it's so obvious that it's not worth crowing about.

Southam,
    I'm close to asking you and Dan Hodges to categorically, unequivocally, and definitively predict that I WILL be made redundant in the next five years, in the hope that your collective anti-prediction mojo keeps my job safe.

• Options
    stodge said:

No it doesn't. It's fascinating to see what short memories some people have. Last month, and indeed for every month since time immaterial, I've been telling people that ICM is perfectly capable and has a history of throwing out occasional outlier numbers for individual parties.

The 9% UKIP number last month (down seven from August) was one such. The "surge" today needs to be seen in that context and this is a correction from last month which had all the UKIP fans on here wailing.

The key number today is of course not the UKIP number in isolation but the Conservative number of around 30% which is in contrast to YouGov's 35% but sits well with other pollsters.

Beyond that, Ashcroft has Con-UKIP at 47%, ICM has it at 45%. That's the key ratio for next year - the Conservatives need that vote to split differently from 28-19 or 31-14 to more likely 38-8. If that doesn't happen, the Conservatives won't het anywhere near a majority.

Survation sees UKIP up six, ICM, sees them up five.
  • Options

Most importanly, I get to watch the Shawshank Redemption on the big screen tonight.

Cool. Big screen as in a cinema?
  • Options

****I AM ASSUMING YOU HAVE SEEN THIS FIM BEFORE****

How did he blue tac the corners of the poster to the wall from the tunnel?
  • Options
    @ Hugh

206 days to go, polls nosing back towards normal service
  • Options

@TSE

Tories still got a long way to fall if we assume history is to repeat itself then

The other way, the Opposition has a long way to fall if history repeats itself.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited October 2014
    Sunil - Yes, at the cinema

Isam - I've seen it many, many times. It is one of my favourite films of all time.

Up there with The Godfather II, The Avengers, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Dollars Trilogy, and my favourite film of all time, The Wrath of Khan.

Edit - How can I forget Se7en and the Usual Suspects
  • Options
    @BenM

Would this be the same NHS on which Dave waved through billions of pounds worth of restructing, without understanding it? That one?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I imagine stuff like this will influence the parties ongoing responses to the debates negotiations. From Ashcroft's Conhome piece on his new poll

Meanwhile, as last week’s by-elections suggest, UKIP continue to have momentum on their side. In the ANP I found 29 per cent of voters saying they were “moving towards” the party, a higher share than for the Tories, Labour or the Lib Dems. This includes 23 per cent of Conservative voters, 12 per cent of Labour voters and 31 per cent of swing voters (those who either do not know how they will vote or say they may change their minds before election day).

Conservative voters were the least enthusiastic about their own party, with 59 per cent saying they were moving towards the Tories and 13 per cent away – a net score of 46 points. This compared to 63 points for Labour among Labour voters, 53 points for the Lib Dems among (the admittedly scarce) Lib Dem voters and 92 points for UKIP among UKIP voters

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/10/lord-ashcroft-labours-lead-grows-to-four-in-my-latest-national-poll.html.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

@ Hugh

206 days to go, polls nosing back towards normal service

Not quite normal, availing myself of information lifted from an Elbow downthread:
    Lab 34.1% (-1.5)
    Con 31.5 (-1.1)

Normality appears to be a downward drift for the (former) big two.
  • Options
    @TSE
    You could read it either way I guess. The nightmare scenario for Dave's Tories is that they get less popular as elections approach.
  • Options
    Incidentally, caught the back end of a programme on BBC4, 8-9pm, about Rome and its religious history. Was disappointed, frankly, that when the Crisis of the Third Century was raised the presenter immediately leapt to Diocletian and the purges.

For a start, the Gothic Claudius and Aurelian restored the empire (reclaiming the Palmyrene and Gallic territories for the 'real' empire). In addition, Diocletian only conducted the purges later in his reign (I'd need to check but I think things were relatively stable by that time) rather than as an immediate act to try and prevent the gods being angry at Christian worship (or neglect of themselves, if you prefer).

Perhaps that's an unfair criticism. It irks me when Aurelian is overlooked.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    LA Poll uncrossover

Ed is crap is PM
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    chestnut said:

Is 19% a new peak for UKIP with Ashcroft?

England: Lab 33, Tory 30, UKIP 21.

Take London out, and what do you have left? A three way dust-up.

It equals their previous high. I wish the pollsters would report their results using the standard English regions and not their own useless subsets.....
This discussion has been closed.