Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night rolling polling blog

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RodCrosby said:

HYUFD said:

ZenPagan My preferred system would be AV + a PR top up, but I would accept two ballot votes as in France

My preferred system is the two ballot system as in France but I accept the difficulties in attaining such a voting system for this country.
    PR^2 has everything any-one could want, and more.

i) constituencies, not unlike the pre-1950 scenario in some places, and like the pre-1885 almost everywhere. Constituencies that represent proper communities too.
    ii) room for some local independents
    iii) both quasi-Majoritarian and quasi-PR. Single-party government still a possibility
    iv) no landslides
    v) choice of candidate within party, safe seats effectively abolished
    vi) voters' coalition preferences recorded, in the event of a hung-parliament
    vii) far more people get a party/MP they voted for
    viii) no electoral bias, no wrong-winner elections
    ix) every vote counts equally towards the result, a Tory in Glasgow as much as a Labourite in Surrey. Not just the marginals.
    x) regional polarization reduced. Tory MPs in Scotland, Labour MPs in the South.
    It's a great system with a terrible name.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,589

BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

UKIP is the frankenstein's monster of the Tory press and it is hilarious watching the sheer unadulterated panic in these organs now their creation is out of their control!

And running amok in the Labour heartlands.
    And losing. No prizes for 2nd place under FPTP.
    Impressed with the Labour performance were you?

A 600 majority in a safe seat and run out of town in Clacton, though of course we should point out that Labour have given up in the South.

One Nation rules eh?
    It's a Labour MP and not a hapless UKIP one.

Yes, I'm pleased.
    Talking of hapless did you see the Pilgrim's victory speech?

And I am pleased that you are pleased because it shows that you and Labour supporters like you have learnt the square root of fuck all.

I've learned UKIP are very good at coming 2nd to Labour in northern seats. Especially in low turnout elections.

Net result there so far: Zero UKIP MPs.

I was derided a few weeks back for saying that they would win 10 seats in GE 2015, now thats almost a given.

I hope not, I have a bet with PtP they won't get more than 5 at most!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

A little piece of news from North Britain those of you in Englandshire will not hear about.

As you may have seen on Twitter the SNP membership has risen from 25,000 to over 80,000 since 18th September. Apparently the Scottish Greens membership has tripled to over 6,000 and today former SNP MSP for Highlands John Finnie was unveiled at the Greens conference as their newest recruit. He will remain an Independent MSP until 2016 and then plans to stand for the Greens. A former leader of Highland Council, he was a police dog handler when I knew him 30 years ago.

As the increased SNP support threatens SLAB, so the increased Green support threatens what will be left of the Scottish LibDems in seats like Edinburgh West and Fife NE where there are reasonable numbers of students.

All those new members are going to revitalise the parties, but also change them. That is the danger of incomers, who are are a two edged sword.
  • Options
    Front page of the Sunday Times makes great reading for UKIP and appalling for Ed Miliband

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzsXSUyCYAEV3rz.jpg
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited October 2014
    Scott_P said:

Labour – which has been living on some distant planet where the realities of earthlings do not impinge – has been blown to smithereens. Bizarrely, they seem not to have seen this catastrophe at Heywood and Middleton coming, which is a testimony to just how out of touch they were. And it is so much more than the near-loss of a safe seat, so much worse than a defection of what would once have been a constituency of “Our People”. It is nothing less than a collision with a truth that makes them utterly irrelevant. The real national argument now – the only political debate that matters to ordinary voters – is being conducted on the Right. The Tories may have an electoral problem with Ukip, but at least they are still in the conversation.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11155291/Wake-up-Ed-Miliband.-Ukips-success-shows-the-totems-of-the-old-Left-are-now-history.html

Janet Daley thinks that? Well I never!

Which Party lost an MP on Thurs? Which is about to lose another next month? And potentially more after that?

Not Labour, if anyone wants a clue.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

It's never black and white.

Under FPTP

i) parties abandon manifesto commitments
    ii) parties introduce things that weren't in the manifesto
    iii) some voters vote for parties despite what's in their manifesto!
    iv) parties often have to cut grubby deals with their own rebellious members and/or minor parties, once they're in office, in any case.
    v) the system can't even guarantee the correct plurality winner gains a majority/plurality.

So much for the "purity" of single-party government under FPTP...

But the problem is deeper.

Aside from the government aspect, there is the representation aspect, and the House of Commons is intended to supply both.

In the hey-day of the two-party system, at least it could be said:-

i) the vast majority (90%+) supported one of two viable parties of government. If your party lost this time, there was always next time. You had a stake in the process... Now there appears to be 35%+ (before we even consider abstainers) who don't support the duoply, and whose votes are not reflected remotely accurately in the House of Commons.

ii) at the constituency-level, most people got an MP they voted for... At the last two general elections, most people didn't!. Any wonder only 20% can name their MP? [Hansard Society]

Combined, these two factors are responsible for falling turnouts, disengagement and the general alienation of voters from the political class.

There is a terminal malaise in the body politic, which no rational observer can deny or view with equanimity.

All of which is an indictment of our political parties and their policies and nothing to do with the voting system (hence when the electorate had the opportunity to change the voting system they voted it down by 2 to 1) and when they have the opportunity to vote for a credible alternative party offering counter proposals to the post war liberal consensus some quarter or so of the electorate start dabbling with them.
    The voters rejected another majoritarian system over the present one. Nothing more...

Well I'm glad you've had opportunity to survey everybody. Pity you missed me because personally I resented the fact that the Libdems wasted thousands on a referendum just to shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic. The voting system will not fix our broken politics only a considerable improvement in the quality and behaviour of our politicians will.
    The voting system is effectively the recruitment process. You think it doesn't affect the caliber and behaviours of the MPs?
  • Options
    Fenman said:

A little piece of news from North Britain those of you in Englandshire will not hear about.

As you may have seen on Twitter the SNP membership has risen from 25,000 to over 80,000 since 18th September. Apparently the Scottish Greens membership has tripled to over 6,000 and today former SNP MSP for Highlands John Finnie was unveiled at the Greens conference as their newest recruit. He will remain an Independent MSP until 2016 and then plans to stand for the Greens. A former leader of Highland Council, he was a police dog handler when I knew him 30 years ago.

As the increased SNP support threatens SLAB, so the increased Green support threatens what will be left of the Scottish LibDems in seats like Edinburgh West and Fife NE where there are reasonable numbers of students.

You will have to explain to me why the students won't vote LD. Didn't tuition fees remain the same in Scotland?
    They don't pay tuition fees......
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited October 2014

Ed M has done a piece for the Observer

Ukip is tapping into a seam of despair that Labour cannot and will not ignore

The opposition leader pledges to tackle immigration, invest in the NHS and pay a fair wage for hard work

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/11/ed-miliband-labour-hope-for-britains-future?CMP=twt_gu

My "UKIP bigot in the Daily Mail" downthread is actually Simon Danczuk, and ed is clearly writing with Danczuk's gun to his head. To recap;

"The political classes may benefit from immigration with cheap au pairs and cleaners, but people in my part of the world cannot afford au pairs or cleaners.
    Ed Miliband may feel uncomfortable at talking about immigration because he’s the son of immigrants.
    Well, I’m sorry, but he has no choice but to grasp the nettle."

So that's edm and danczuk scared witless by H&M, and BenM unconcerned. Whose judgment to trust?

LOL at this in ed's piece. the real villain of the piece is still of course FATCHA:

"I recognise Ukip is also tapping into a seam of discontent and despair that Labour cannot – and will not – ignore. It is a sentiment that has developed over decades during which industries that used to provide decent prospects have disappeared at the same time as immigration has wrought huge changes in some communities."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MattChorley: Survation/MoS poll puts UKIP on 25%. Lab 31% Con 31% LibDem 8%. Which in theory gives UKIP 128 MPs. #FarageMania
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 1m1 minute ago
    Survation/MoS poll puts UKIP on 25%. Lab 31% Con 31% LibDem 8%. Which in theory gives UKIP 128 MPs. #FarageMania

I leave for an hour and look what happens.

Farage for PM anyone?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

The opposition leader pledges to tackle immigration, invest in the NHS and pay a fair wage for hard work

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/11/ed-miliband-labour-hope-for-britains-future?CMP=twt_gu

So that's edm and danczuk scared witless by H&M, and BenM unconcerned. Whose judgment to trust?

Well I'm repeatedly informed Ed has terrible judgement, so I'm not sure.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,066
    BenM said:

BenM said:

UKIP is the frankenstein's monster of the Tory press and it is hilarious watching the sheer unadulterated panic in these organs now their creation is out of their control!

If Labour had lost by 600 votes, you'd be banging on about how close it was.

• Options

Front page of the Sunday Times makes great reading for UKIP and appalling for Ed Miliband

David Cameron won't have made it to the petty anti Miliband swipe. His bowels would have emptied at the headline.

Cameron is as good as out.
  • Options

All those new members are going to revitalise the parties, but also change them. That is the danger of incomers, who are are a two edged sword.
    Better in than out though I guess.
  • Options
    @Conorpope: Calling bullshit on this one RT @MichaelPDeacon: Well, I wonder http://t.co/hzQEIM8X3D
  • Options

And that's before the survation poll.
  • Options
    Sunday Times/YouGov Con 32%, Lab 34%, LD 9% UKIP16%
  • Options

BenM said:

BenM said:

Labour kept their MP.

Which is why Kippers ARE banging on about how close it was.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Is it a Faragasm?

• Options
    BenM said:

Scott_P said:

Labour – which has been living on some distant planet where the realities of earthlings do not impinge – has been blown to smithereens. Bizarrely, they seem not to have seen this catastrophe at Heywood and Middleton coming, which is a testimony to just how out of touch they were. And it is so much more than the near-loss of a safe seat, so much worse than a defection of what would once have been a constituency of “Our People”. It is nothing less than a collision with a truth that makes them utterly irrelevant. The real national argument now – the only political debate that matters to ordinary voters – is being conducted on the Right. The Tories may have an electoral problem with Ukip, but at least they are still in the conversation.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11155291/Wake-up-Ed-Miliband.-Ukips-success-shows-the-totems-of-the-old-Left-are-now-history.html

Which Party lost an MP on Thurs? Which is about to lose another next month? And potentially more after that?

Forget about childish tribal politics, what do you really think? I mean you Ben, not the spinning bollocks you delight in.

Are you happy with Ed? With abandoning your core vote? With the fact that the WWC have left Labour forever?

No spinning shit as we will see right through it, answer honestly in the way Danny always does.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Conorpope: Calling bullshit on this one RT @MichaelPDeacon: Well, I wonder http://t.co/hzQEIM8X3D

Have to keep the 'We're not just Tories' thing in peoples' consciousness until something more solid comes up to prove it electorally, if it will happen.
  • Options

Is it a Faragasm?

I think we had multiple Faragasms since 2012.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    kle4 said:

I hear those things a lot...and then people vote in the same old lot as always, and although not as high as it could be, turnout has experienced a bit of an upturn as well, so for all those who say 'what is the point in voting?', we are not experiencing a terminal decline.

The Iraq war example just confused me, because if people were angry at being dismissed over such an issue - and while I was against it, what about the silent majority who could not give a damn apparently? Is it fair to do things on the basis of who shouts the loudest? - they could have voted for someone else, for parties that didn't vote for the war or who advocated for a whole new political system, and they didn't, they voted in Blair again. Sure it's tough under FPTP, but if people are as angry at the system as much as you seem to think they are, a candidate advocating a sweeping redesign of our politics would win handily whatever their partisan politics. And they don't.

People may not like our politicians or our system. But nor do they seem discontented to the point of action over it.

Ask people if they want more of a say in things, of course they'll say yes, but although models exist over that, to have more of say over individual policy, we are not yet at the stage where people care enough apparently. If there was an appetite for it, we'd see more of our current MPs advocate for such things than is currently the case, we're always told they have no backbone or real ideas and just react to things, if people were clamouring for that sort of thing, more of them would back it out of self preservation I suspect.

Maybe we'll get to such a pass one day, to totally redesigning how we do politics, but it does not look on the horizon from where I'm standing. UKIP may or may not break through in a significant way, but despite some different ideas, they'll operate in our system the same as anyone else, and that's all people seem to want right now. People do want a choice over more than red, blue or yellow...but unfortunately all they seem to want to do is add purple, green and maybe a few others to the list of options. People still seem very happy with tribal party politics as far as I can see, we're just seeing some changes in tribes.

Would you care to point out the party that has ever stood on a platform of completely reforming the political system? (Hint the lib dems are not an acceptable answer they like the current system and just want to tweak it a bit more into their favour)

People still vote for these parties because they have no other choice if they wish to vote. Its all thats on offer. Others have taken an ever bigger slice of the cake even so. Many constituencies are like mine however and have only 3 contenders, we didnt had a green or ukip candidate even in 2010 just 3 parties on the ballot.

I resent not voting but in 2015 I probably won't bother
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB Survation for MoS sees UKIP up 6% to new record high in any poll of 25%

CON 31% =
    LAB -31% -4
    UKIP 25% +6
    LD 8%=
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley 1m1 minute ago
    Survation/MoS poll puts UKIP on 25%. Lab 31% Con 31% LibDem 8%. Which in theory gives UKIP 128 MPs. #FarageMania

I leave for an hour and look what happens.

Farage for PM anyone?

I wondered if we might reach a scenario where all three parties might end up in the 20's. Not far to go......
  • Options
    Lol UKIP only hurts the Tories with Survation
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,035
    So...who was the first person here to get on the UKIP/LD match bet? I just about got better than evens. isam probably got something sickening like 3/1.

Oh well, off to bet on every constituency isam has ever mentioned!
  • Options
    Fair to say Opinium is an outlier.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,066
    BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Labour kept their MP.

Which is why Kippers ARE banging on about how close it was.
    One MP is neither here nor there at this stage of a Parliament, especially as UKIP got their man in in Clacton. Think what the swing would mean if replicated in other, more marginal, seats.

• Options
    edited October 2014

Fair to say Opinium is an outlier.

It was just conducted before the by-elections.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Scott_P said:

@MattChorley: Survation/MoS poll puts UKIP on 25%. Lab 31% Con 31% LibDem 8%. Which in theory gives UKIP 128 MPs. #FarageMania

Dunno where the 128 comes from.

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Well at last UKIP gets seats on electoral calculus, and one of them is in Scotland.
    That says it all about the computer models based on 2010GE.
  • Options

BenM said:

Scott_P said:

Forget about childish tribal politics, what do you really think? I mean you Ben, not the spinning bollocks you delight in.

Are you happy with Ed? With abandoning your core vote? With the fact that the WWC have left Labour forever?

No spinning shit as we will see right through it, answer honestly in the way Danny always does.

I want the Tories out of government. This is a parliamentary democracy. The Tories are desperate to turn this into a quite un-British presidential contest, but the public ain't buying it.

I may not be wholly enamoured of the leader of the Labour Party, but I relate to the values and ethos of the Labour Party itself which I feel are superior to those of the Tories (and no doubt many here feel the exact opposite which I at least respect), and massively more in touch with planet earth than the wretched reactionary wibblings from your lot.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    I think they've put the regional sub-samples into the mix.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

So...who was the first person here to get on the UKIP/LD match bet? I just about got better than evens. isam probably got something sickening like 3/1.

I can't believe Billy Hill is still offering 1.91 for 5 or more seats
  • Options
    @Ed_Miliband: Our best weapon in the battle ahead will be the real hope offered by Labour's plan for our country’s future http://t.co/mMNNNCJZJc
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ZenPagan said:

kle4 said:

s.

Would you care to point out the party that has ever stood on a platform of completely reforming the political system?

That's my point - no one has or will because there is no appetite for it. Even minor changes like which voting system to use are controversial to talk about, in that they are immediately told that there are more important things to worry about.
    ZenPagan said:

kle4 said:

I hear

People still vote for these parties because they have no other choice if they wish to vote. Its all thats on offer. Others have taken an ever bigger slice of the cake even so. Many constituencies are like mine however and have only 3 contenders, we didnt had a green or ukip candidate even in 2010 just 3 parties on the ballot.

No one is limiting the offer is my point. Any party could stand, or any current party could alter its stance to be that which you wish. Winning under FPTP would not be easy on such a platform, but with no-one preventing anyone from standing on that platform, or for people within the parties to push their colleagues to move to such a platform, if people were incensed over this 'lack of choice' they would do something about it.

Therefore, even though people moan about our system, I cannot agree they are really that angry about it, not to the point of even being close to sharing your own view on radical redevelopment of our politics (which for the record I would not be averse to, or at the least not averse to seeing more of a national debate about) as being a good idea, or we'd see some sign of it either in a new party advocating it, or major parts within the main parties sharing that view and pressing for such a position. There is nothing but glimmers.

If the voter turnout were in terminal decline then maybe I could concede that people were making their views know that way, but it isn't. It's not as high as it could be, but it went up last time and who knows this time, so people are not simply disengaging from our very system even if fewer are actually joining political parties (unless you are the SNP or Scottis Greens I guess).
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    If UKIP are 25% nationwide where could they be in lets say the east or the south?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    If UKIP are 25% nationwide where could they be in lets say the east or the south?
    Possibly.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Scott_P said:

I want the Tories out of government. This is a parliamentary democracy. The Tories are desperate to turn this into a quite un-British presidential contest, but the public ain't buying it.

I may not be wholly enamoured of the leader of the Labour Party, but I relate to the values and ethos of the Labour Party itself which I feel are superior to those of the Tories (and no doubt many here feel the exact opposite which I at least respect), and massively more in touch with planet earth than the wretched reactionary wibblings from your lot.

Fair enough, thanks.

I couldn't disagree more but that's not the point.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Ed_Miliband: Our best weapon in the battle ahead will be the real hope offered by Labour's plan for our country’s future http://t.co/mMNNNCJZJc

NHS NHS NHS ect ect.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

How is he going to tackle immigration?

Sorry but it's bollocks.
    fair point.

Also, they spent loads on the NHS last time they were in .... that went well didn't it.......

Also, where does the money come from this time???
  • Options
    BenM said:

David Cameron won't have made it to the petty anti Miliband swipe. His bowels would have emptied at the headline.

LOL. If that is a "petty swipe", please tell us what a serious indictment of Miliband's leadership would look like. And, while you are there, whether there are American tanks in Baghdad?

"Cameron is as good as out" - do you mean he is going to be deposed? Care to indicate when, roughly?
  • Options

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Possibly.
    "You might as well think about it, but I can't possibly comment".
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Sunday Times/YouGov Con 32%, Lab 34%, LD 9% UKIP16%

Tories/UKIP ducking and weaving. Labour flooring.

the election is all about the Tory/UKIP dynamic.

If Miliband gets in it will be the biggest accident ever. Even his own people don't really want it.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Looking at the Libs,could there be a bouncelet from their conference.On 2 matters,the legal regulation of medical cannabis,where even Australian President Abbott has declared his support,and STV in local elections to help prevent the one party states like Rotherham,they are,of course,correct.They could make 35 seats,including Bermondsey.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Possibly.
    "You might as well think about it, but I can't possibly comment".
    I didn't get an embargoed copy this time, so I don't know.

For sheer comedy value, I'd love to see the Scottish Sub-sample showing UKIP 37%, Con 20% LD 15% SNP 10% SLAB 10%
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,005
    edited October 2014
    Here we go on Newmark story...been sexting another woman apparently. Question is, is woman #2 real or no? He has got lucky, as it seems a footballer has been doing the same.
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

kle4 said:

I hear those things a lot...and then people vote in the same old lot as always, and although not as high as it could be, turnout has experienced a bit of an upturn as well, so for all those who say 'what is the point in voting?', we are not experiencing a terminal decline.

Would you care to point out the party that has ever stood on a platform of completely reforming the political system? (Hint the lib dems are not an acceptable answer they like the current system and just want to tweak it a bit more into their favour)

I resent not voting but in 2015 I probably won't bother
    Well UKIP are talking about quite considerable change to our democracy

Withdrawal from the EU
    Federalisation of the UK
    Abolition of the House Of Lords
    Abolition of whole Government departments (DCMS & Climate Change & Energy)
    Resolution of the English Question (and reforming Barnett devolving taxation powers to the home nations)
    Devolution of powers from central Government Departments to county and local level (Monitor, CQC, creation of Grammar Schools etc)
    Introduction of direct democracy over planning applications.

I suspect there would be further decentralisation over an extended period but you can only absorb a certain amount of change at any one time

• Options
    edited October 2014
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Scott_P said:

Labour – which has been living on some distant planet where the realities of earthlings do not impn.

While I personally do not particularly see the Labour Party as being superior in values or ethos as any of the other parties, not least because the parties leap all around the spectrum thesedays so there is not much consistency of values from any of them if they feel there are votes in it, and I scoff at the laziness of Labour arguments on being more in touch than the Tories (or at least the extent of it) without much evidence of differentiation from the Tories in background, style or many policies that would indicate such a sizable gap...I would actually agree that by and large most people, or at least the larger amount of people, do to one degree or another feel the same way regarding Labour being more in touch and having superior values re ordinary people, and those pinning hopes on a presidential contest are asking for one single factor to overcome a significant brand advantage to Labour, at the same time as the Tory brand is ruined - not by toxic actions in my view (I really don't see them as having done too much in this parliament that is reprehensible, there's just been quite a bit of incompetence), but by the rise of UKIP taking too much away from that brand, leaving not enough behind.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

"nearly as bad as foot"

oh dear......................

• Options
    edited October 2014

Here we go on Newmark story...been sexting another woman apparently. Question is, is woman #2 real or no? He has got lucky, as it seems a footballer has been doing the same.

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/521043377463508994

The contrast between the two is amazingly funny.
    On one side its like "hello" and on the other "I'm cool".
  • Options
    @kle4 @ZenPagan

I think that there is widespread dissatisfaction with the electoral system (though I am not convinced this is new). It is like the House of Lords: everyone agrees that it is not suited to purpose or to the modern world. It is nepotistic and full of patronage and anachronism. It is possible to get a place through connections to the party elite. No one wants it how it is.

But fixing our broken system is like fixing the HoL. No one agrees what it should look like. Even the kippers do not speak with one voice, and they have the support of only 25% max of the population.

• Options
    Not sure why the MoS think that 31/25/8/25 poll will put Ed in Downing Street.

Ed will get 253 MPs with that and libs 11

Tories will get 187 & UKIP 128 which between them is 315. Add in the DUP and you have a majority.

• Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Fenman said:

You will have to explain to me why the students won't vote LD. Didn't tuition fees remain the same in Scotland?
    Exactly. so why does EasterRoss think that the presence of students is likely to be a problem for the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

LOL. If that is a "petty swipe", please tell us what a serious indictment of Miliband's leadership would look like. And, while you are there, whether there are American tanks in Baghdad?

"Cameron is as good as out" - do you mean he is going to be deposed? Care to indicate when, roughly?
    7th May dude. It's coming.

We go through this rigmarole with every Sunday Times front page. A weekly petty personal Ed swipe there translates as bad YouGov poll on inside pages for the Tories.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Well UKIP polled just over 39% across Kent as a whole in the Euros
  • Options

@kle4 @ZenPagan

I think that there is widespread dissatisfaction with the electoral system (though I am not convinced this is new). It is like the House of Lords: everyone agrees that it is not suited to purpose or to the modern world. It is nepotistic and full of patronage and anachronism. It is possible to get a place through connections to the party elite. No one wants it how it is.

But fixing our broken system is like fixing the HoL. No one agrees what it should look like. Even the kippers do not speak with one voice, and they have the support of only 25% max of the population.

A fair comment I think. I suppose then my position is that 'the people' do not care enough to a coalesce around an actual solution to their dissatisfaction because they cannot agree on what that solution might be, and things are not so bad it is worth rushing things, so although not their intention, 'the people' are in effect endorsing the status quo for the forseeable future.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Fenman said:

Exactly. so why does EasterRoss think that the presence of students is likely to be a problem for the Lib Dems?
    It's not cool on Campus to vote LD anymore. I hear they're the same as Tories you know.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

@MSmithsonPB Survation for MoS sees UKIP up 6% to new record high in any poll of 25%

CON 31% =
    LAB -31% -4
    UKIP 25% +6
    LD 8%=

Interesting that UKIP hits Lab rather than Con. The big story was UKIP taking a seat from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scott_P said:

It seems now there's a good case for UKIP being included in ALL the debates.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

We go through this rigmarole with every Sunday Times front page. A weekly petty personal Ed swipe there translates as bad YouGov poll on inside pages for the Tories.
    Still not thought of a Labour policy?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    Theres quite a good election forecast site here:

http://electionsetc.com/

Their latest forecast, Tories 27 short of majority
  • Options
    Evening, my fellow fruitcakes!

The Sunil on Sunday ELBOW should be "interesting" this week :)
  • Options
    I think the main difference between tonight's polls is their timing, yougov need about 2-3 days to absorb events, opinium started the poll early in the week, I think Survation might be the only one to have shown the effects of the by-election results.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Declaring the free republic of Kent-n-Essex?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Miliband promises "stronger border controls"

What border controls? Tell us, please. Because I'm pretty sure he's lying out his arse.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,833
    Floater said:

"nearly as bad as foot"

oh dear......................

I like the cropping of the main photo. I don't think that was a happy accident
  • Options

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    And Linconshire & Norfolk.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    It should be noted that Survation have had UKIP on 22 and 23% before. They're consistently picking up much more UKIP support than other pollsters.

It will be interesting to see where UKIP will be with ICM this month, 9% last time.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,867
    edited October 2014
    Sunday Times

A new poll reveals today that voters judge Miliband to be almost as bad a leader as Foot, who led the party to its worst modern defeat in 1983.

Twenty-two per cent of voters think Miliband better than Foot, while 21% favour Foot. Twenty per cent say they are about the same. By clear margins Miliband is seen as a worse leader than Gordon Brown or Neil Kinnock.

By a margin of nine to one, voters think Labour would be better off without Miliband. Fifty-four per cent say Labour would fare better if he goes while just 6% say the party would benefit from him staying.

Labour voters also think the party would be better off if he quits, by a margin of 46% to 13%. David Miliband, Alan Johnson and Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, would all improve the party’s prospects, the poll found.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

No, there really isn't.
  • Options
    If Crosby had occured six months before the 1983 election with no Falklands in between Mike?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Quincel said:

Unfortunately not!

I have no betting accounts, so am only on that match bet with @Antifrank and @Neil on here I think at 6/4... possibly @DavidL as well, I have it written down somewhere

On over 10% with a few on here as well at 6/4, but only for £300 I think

For all my mouth, I am not really on that many constituencies either! Just the two Thurrocks in any size, and a few £20 bets on some outsiders.. Telford, Birmingham Yardley, Dudley North, Cambourne and Redruth, North Devon

When Farage is PM next May, the PB Headline may well be "Sam didn't win as much as he ought to have"

• Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB

Detailed data from Survation for Southern England has UKIP on 37.6% four pts ahead of the Tories
  • Options
    Looks like some very interesting sub-samples with Survation
  • Options
    saddened said:

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Go to their website. http://www.labour.org.uk
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JohnO said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Impressed with the Labour performance were you?

A 600 majority in a safe seat and run out of town in Clacton, though of course we should point out that Labour have given up in the South.

One Nation rules eh?
    It's a Labour MP and not a hapless UKIP one.

Yes, I'm pleased.
    Talking of hapless did you see the Pilgrim's victory speech?

And I am pleased that you are pleased because it shows that you and Labour supporters like you have learnt the square root of fuck all.

I've learned UKIP are very good at coming 2nd to Labour in northern seats. Especially in low turnout elections.

Net result there so far: Zero UKIP MPs.
    It was net everywhere zero UKIP MPs until last week.

I was derided a few weeks back for saying that they would win 10 seats in GE 2015, now thats almost a given.

Where UKIP will hurt you lot isn't in the northern inner cities, its in more marginal northern constituencies like Bury North where tories have a 3000 maj in 2010 and Bury South where Lab had a 3000 majority in 2010.

Miliband needs to win both those seats and many seats like them to have any chance of winning the election. Thanks to Labour losing the WWC to UKIP the tories will hold Bury north and may well win them both.
    "Given", is it? £50 evens that UKIP do not get 10 seats?
    Do you mean to say that you think UKIP will get more than 10 seats, JohnO?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Scott_P said:

Socrates said:

No, there really isn't.
    Hahaha oh and Im not on Farage to be in the debates at 2/1 because @ScottP was so sure he wouldn't be that he wont bet on it!
  • Options

Are the Scottish Conservatives benefiting from this new fashion for joining political parties?
  • Options
    Christopher Hope @christopherhope

If no deal on West Lothian Question by Nov 30, the Conservatives will end talks and develop their own plans, William Hague tells me. 2/3

Hague says the Tories will put their EVEL solution to a vote before the election. Labour will have to vote against English home rule. 3/3
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Survation/MoS poll has 30.3% of men backing UKIP compared with 18.9% of women
  • Options
    BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Except that 2 behind, with solid confirmation that it isn't an outlier, would have looked an exceptional yougov for the Tories only three weeks ago.

As for the petty swipe, give up. Everyone accepts that ed is crap after the conference speech. Your own claim that the Tories are trying to make things presidential is code for: OK ed is crap, but no one is allowed to say so.

And for god's sake chill. No one of any intelligence at all thinks it is remotely possible to predict the outcome of the election, and you getting all messianic on our asses is not going to alter that belief, or the actual result.

And do read the Danczuk piece which I would bet my shirt you would classify as "reactionary wibble" from any other source.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Went up to Dahlonega for lunch at our favorite Cajun restaurant and to watch some college football on TV. After lunch we toured the various antique malls, full of oddlots of furniture, LP records, recycled John Grisham hardbacks, and the inevitable wall of fridge magnets.

Favorite one - WINE - how classy people get wasted
  • Options

Detailed data from Survation for Southern England has UKIP on 37.6% four pts ahead of the Tories

That looks expected with Kent in that area.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

@kle4 @ZenPagan

A fair comment I think. I suppose then my position is that 'the people' do not care enough to a coalesce around an actual solution to their dissatisfaction because they cannot agree on what that solution might be, and things are not so bad it is worth rushing things, so although not their intention, 'the people' are in effect endorsing the status quo for the forseeable future.
    I agree. It is possible that in an atmosphere of discontent that we carry on muddling on in quiet desperation (that is the English way).

There is the risk of a charismatic leader presenting temptingly simplistic solutions. This is more of a european approach such as Golden Dawn. For some Islamism fills that gap...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,278
    Floater said:

Sorry but it's bollocks.
    fair point.

Also, they spent loads on the NHS last time they were in .... that went well didn't it.......

It did go very well record low waiting lists and times. People seem to forget prior to 1997 one third of waits were over 6 months. 90% under 18 weeks in 2010

Record high patient satisfaction. Waits for PB Tory Stafford references but patient satisfaction overall was up at 95% levels.

Money comes from Mansion tax this time and by not giving tax cuts to higher rate tax payers
  • Options

If no deal on West Lothian Question by Nov 30, the Conservatives will end talks and develop their own plans, William Hague tells me. 2/3

Hague says the Tories will put their EVEL solution to a vote before the election. Labour will have to vote against English home rule. 3/3

What a sudden movement, did they lose a by-election or something?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    They're going to have to come up with a better name for this new bastion of freedom and justice.
  • Options

All those Labour seats UKIP will be hoovering up. Oh, hang on....

Anyway nonsense poll.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    They're going to have to come up with a better name for this new bastion of freedom and justice.
    Cromwell country?
  • Options

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Survation/MoS poll has 30.3% of men backing UKIP compared with 18.9% of women

That is a surprise. I thought part of the boost was gong to be an equalisation of women and men ukip supporters.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BenM said:

saddened said:

BenM said:

Ishmael_X said:

BenM said:

Go to their website. http://www.labour.org.uk
    You're the one raising the issue of policy, give us your two most impressive.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Speedy
    Kipperlandia?
  • Options
    BenM said:

All those Labour seats UKIP will be hoovering up. Oh, hang on....

Anyway nonsense poll.
    Promising for those Portsmouth North/South betting slips, and the the dreadful mistake of Southampton Itchen.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    kle4 said:

@kle4 @ZenPagan

That I suspect is an answer that is nearer the truth. Sadly there are probably almost as many favoured solutions as people in favour of change. A national debate would be good to have but I fear unlikely to happen as it would have to be promulgated by politicians and I expect they would not want to give it a free run but instead impose a range of "solutions" to choose from rather than a rebuild from scratch strategy. Looks like we are stuck in the 17th century a while longer

• Options
    Speedy said:

What a sudden movement, did they lose a by-election or something?
    That will work well for Ed and the WWC
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    PR^2 Survation

Lab 232
    Con 232
    UKIP 151
    LD 16
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Scott_P said:

Baxtered

Lab 319
    Con 278
    LD 22
    UKIP 2
    Cromwell country?
    Good shot!
  • Options

Floater said:

Sorry but it's bollocks.
    fair point.

It did go very well record low waiting lists and times. People seem to forget prior to 1997 one third of waits were over 6 months. 90% under 18 weeks in 2010

Record high patient satisfaction. Waits for PB Tory Stafford references but patient satisfaction overall was up at 95% levels.

Money comes from Mansion tax this time and by not giving tax cuts to higher rate tax payers
    Suppose the 1,200 in Staffs didn't get the chance to vote
This discussion has been closed.