Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night rolling polling blog

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night rolling polling blog

For ICM’s Wisdom Index those sampled are not not asked who they’d vote for but to give their predictions of party %ages, At GE15 it was sai to have been more accurate than any other poll.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    So glad the Tories aren't peaking too soon
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Interesting...

Ladbrokes halved UKIPs braintree odds at lunchtime.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/braintree/winning-party/bet-history/ukip/today
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Not convinced by Conservatives being on 28.

Incidentally, my pre-race piece on Russia's race is here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/russia-pre-race.html

I must try and remember penalties better in the future.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pong said:
    Labour might be worth a few quid at 33/1. Presumably they'll pick up a good chunk of the 2010 LD vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    ENPs of 4.2 and 4.4 respectively...

2015 to be FPTP's swansong?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:
    Labour might be worth a few quid at 33/1. Presumably they'll pick up a good chunk of the 2010 LD vote.

Agreed and it is a seat they held in 97 and 2001
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited October 2014
    Here's an astonishing fact bringing two maelstroms together.

@Pong's highlighted an article on the last thread, on the s***storm surrounding Alex Day - if you don't know who he is, and why he matters, it's worth having a readaround. The allegations that are flying around the current crop of young virtual "stars" are becoming a kind of Gen 2.0 counterpoint to the re-emergence of 70s scandals that the media are eating themselves with at the moment. There's some nuance in that - which Pong's article well reflects - but it's impossible to avoid the similarities.

Now if your stomach can take it, there is an excellent article archived by the Guardian from 2001, concerning the fall of Jonathan King. King clearly felt he'd fallen into a grey and nuanced area, with his systematic modes of entrapping his young fans during "market research". Of course the Law felt otherwise, that a line had been crossed, and King had to pay a high price for it. One reason I think Pong's article is of general interest, is that it highlights some aspects of teenage life that parents may find unsettling. The fact that today's virtual stars are more accessible - just the push of a button away - to their 15 and 16 year old fans, and more likely to interact, than King's generation were, ought to be of concern. But the routinised methodology, pretty much down to a typed script of "seduction", is uncannily reminiscent.

And then we come to 2011 and a shockingly unrepentant interview in the Indy. Less quease-inducing as the fine detail is skipped over, but an awareness of the background of the conviction makes King's self-justification even more troubling. He hits back at the terms of his punishment: being on the sex offenders register means he "cannot discover and nurture a new Peter Gabriel, or a Joni Mitchell, or a Prince, should they be under 18." And yet all is not lost. "Because I think I'm still quite good at spotting things. I have my protégé at the moment, Alex Day."

King was a mentor to Day, helped him make the transition from a purely "virtual" star, to one who reached out into the wider world - radio play, chart success.

The relationship between Alex Day and Jonathan King has been little-remarked, in fact I've seen no reference to it anywhere in press coverage of the Day controversy: I suspect simply because those aware of the existence of one, know little to nothing about the other. Two utterly different generations, and cultures, after all. But the way two of our current socio-cultural convulsings come so close together really made me sit up when I first realised it..
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

No. Especially if Labour win a majority on 32% of the vote.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited October 2014
    Pong said:

Pong said:

Not a chance, they both polled less than 20% in 2010 and I've look at their candidate.
    If HYUFD local description of Braintree is accurate, then it's just a typical Essex seat that UKIP does very good at.
    I put the wining post there at 35%, which is doable for only the Tories and UKIP.
  • Options

Perhaps they did last week.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    On these 2 polls Labour are on an average of 33% (32% in ICM, 34% in Omnium). The Tories are on an average of 28.5% (30% in ICM, 27% in Omnium). The LDs are on an average of 12% (15% in ICM, 9% in Omnium). That means Labour are doing worse than in 1992, the Tories worse than in 1997 and the LDs worse than 1979. They are terrible results for all the main parties, even if they mean Miliband scrapes home.

UKIP by contrast are on an average of 16% (15% in ICM, 17% in Omnium) ie the same total the LDs got in 1997 when they won more than 40 seats. The Greens are on 4% with Omnium, still 3% up on 2010
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RodCrosby said:

But if LAB wins majority under this system what's the incentive for them to initiate change? I'm totally in agreement with you on the sentiment but turkeys don't vote for Xmas.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    What other polls apart from ICM wisdom and Opinium are we expecting.?
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    Point of Order

At GE15 it was sai to have been more accurate than any other poll.

Should that say GE10 not GE15 (PS there is a typo as well 'sai'(d))
  • Options
    Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

The most disproportional election in UK history, and probably the most disproportional in the "democratic" world....
  • Options

Are you sure last week wasn't it?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

The most disproportional election in UK history, and probably the most disproportional in the "democratic" world....

Baxter has gone the way of the dinosours; It should be put out of it's misery.
  • Options

Yeah, it was the inevitable Tory bounce because Dave was on the telly.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

The wisdom index isn't a poll and most of the public are behind the curve on politics.
    For example no one who has followed the opinion polls and the results since 2010 thinks that the LD will retain almost all their seats next year.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

Baxter has gone the way of the dinosours; It should be put out of it's misery.
    I'm not a fan either, but it's one of the few tools we have. Won't be a million miles off if the votes pan out that way...
  • Options

Dave's always on the Telly?
  • Options

He hits back at the terms of his punishment: being on the sex offenders register means he "cannot discover and nurture a new Peter Gabriel, or a Joni Mitchell, or a Prince, should they be under 18."

Aye, as if.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    The Opinium survey was from Tuesday till 9am on Friday so will indeed have been mainly pre-by-election - I know because I was in the sample and have just checked the invitation.

The Wisdom survey is of course methodological bollocks regardless of when it was taken.
  • Options
  • Options

The Opinium survey was from Tuesday till 9am on Friday so will indeed have been mainly pre-by-election - I know because I was in the sample and have just checked the invitation.

The Wisdom survey is of course methodological bollocks regardless of when it was taken.

Don't worry there will probably be a MORI and a proper ICM poll next week.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

The wisdom index isn't a poll and most of the public are behind the curve on politics.
    For example no one who has followed the opinion polls and the results since 2010 thinks that the LD will retain almost all their seats next year.
    Um, the Wisdom Index is supposed to tease out the voters' real voting intentions, I understand...
  • Options

Dave's always on the Telly?
    Not like this.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

Lord Ashcroft's marginal polls seems to think so.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

We would have 38% of the voters [LD + UKIP + Others] obtaining less than 10% of the seats.

Who could justify such an outcome?
  • Options
    Looks like we're getting some Lord Ashcroft polling tonight.
  • Options

I was in the sample as well.

• Options

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

Lord Ashcroft's marginal polls seems to think so.
    Indeed Lord A's polling of LD held CON-LD marginals 2 weeks ago had the yellows and blues level pegging on 32%.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Speedy said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

Not a chance, they both polled less than 20% in 2010 and I've look at their candidate.
    If HYUFD local description of Braintree is accurate, then it's just a typical Essex seat that UKIP does very good at.
    I put the wining post there at 35%, which is doable for only the Tories and UKIP.
    I agree and at the risk of being bullied into laying a 50/1shot, I think its a 50/1 shot
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So Opinium's poll includes OGH and Nick Palmer ex MP, so good to see it is sampling the average elector. As NP stated it also will not have shown any of the by-election fallout
  • Options
    TSE Yet 8/15 of the seats polled showed Tory gains from LD
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

We would have 38% of the voters [LD + UKIP + Others] obtaining less than 10% of the seats.

Anyone (Osborne, Shapps/Green) who thinks FPTP is the best system for elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TSE Yet 8/15 of the seats polled showed Tory gains from LD

So they are on course to lose half their seats, which what the discussion is about.

"For example no one who has followed the opinion polls and the results since 2010 thinks that the LD will retain almost all their seats next year."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I know why.
    Lord Ashcroft Heywood poll:
    Q1

LAB 24%
    UKIP 17%
    CON 7%
    LD 2%
    GR 2%
    DK 35%
    Not vote 13%

All certain to vote (10/10) 47% (actual turnout 36%)

LAB 32%
    UKIP 23%
    CON 8%
    GR 3%
    LD 1%
    DK 46%

So the DK's did it.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

Anyone (Osborne, Shapps/Green) who thinks FPTP is the best system for elections.
    I use "justify" in its commonly-accepted meaning...
  • Options
    King Cole, every candidate elected will have more votes than any rival candidate in that seat. It's perfectly fair.

PR is a recipe for compromise, weak government, permanent coalitions and general nonsense.
  • Options
    PR^2 (Wisdom Index)

Lab 262
    Con 240
    LD 60
    UKIP 60
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

Somewhat different constituency, and the Labour voting Witham area (don't be mislead by the name of Priti Patel's seat) has been taken out.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Wisdom Index Baxtered

Lab 327
    Con 249
    LD 45
    UKIP 0

Everyone who supports Labour and the Tories I expect. Also decentralists, true localists and people who want to restrict the power of political parties.
  • Options

Pong said:

Pong said:

Somewhat different constituency, and the Labour voting Witham area (don't be mislead by the name of Priti Patel's seat) has been taken out.
    Ah many thanks
  • Options
    edited October 2014

King Cole, every candidate elected will have more votes than any rival candidate in that seat. It's perfectly fair.

PR is a recipe for compromise, weak government, permanent coalitions and general nonsense.

Mr Dancer, there are some things on which we agree. And some upon which we don't.
  • Options
    MorrisDancer John Key in New Zealand and Salmond have both won majorities under PR, has Merkel's government been weak under PR? The last years of the Major, Brown and Callaghan governments were all pretty weak under FPTP and Major had to rely on the Unionists, Callaghan the Liberals to stay in power.
  • Options
    King Cole, I'd be disturbed if we agreed on everything. It's entirely possible for reasonable people to look at the same situation and reach radically different conclusions.
  • Options

He hits back at the terms of his punishment: being on the sex offenders register means he "cannot discover and nurture a new Peter Gabriel, or a Joni Mitchell, or a Prince, should they be under 18."

Aye, as if.
    One of the things I find most spooky in all his interviews, is the contrast between his self-awareness and self-importance. And yet those who have met him report he has "charm". I could just about tolerate reading about him; I did once try watching one of his self-justifying youtube videos (possibly this one) and I just couldn't stand it. Those with a darker sense of humour than me might find it quite funny, but the purported charm seems to me to be nothing but an intolerable creepiness.

And as you say, he's hardly about to nurture the next Peter Gabriel. He's down at the level of promoting Alex Day and Tom Milsom (who's got his own scandal unfolding, though it had less publicity in the mainstream press than Alex Day did).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Could there be a common problem with over estimating the size of the Labour support? Clacton was polled 16% for Labour and they actually got 11%, 5% points less.
    Heywood's labour polling forecast a 19% lead with 47% and Labour actually got 41% of the vote on the day a drop of 6% on polling.

Applying a 4% to 6% polling error for Labour at the GE would of course be quite wrong .... but fun!

Do Labour have a problem with lying or lazy voters?
  • Options
    TSE They will lose more than half with Labour taking most of their LD targets too with the odd exception like Southwark
  • Options

King Cole, I'd be disturbed if we agreed on everything. It's entirely possible for reasonable people to look at the same situation and reach radically different conclusions.

You should both agree that a Directly Elected Dictator is the most equitable way to go.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, I see your Merkel Government and raise you Italian governance since WWII.

FPTP does not guarantee strong government but makes it far likelier than PR, which shifts government-forming power from the people to the political class.
  • Options
    Speedy Yes a big DK swing to UKIP
  • Options

Mr Dancer, agreed. If that's quite the right word to use!

But then we're both brought up in a liberal tradition.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, I see your Merkel Government and raise you Italian governance since WWII.

FPTP does not guarantee strong government but makes it far likelier than PR, which shifts government-forming power from the people to the political class.

The Irish Republic?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Speedy Yes a big DK swing to UKIP

If UKIP are within 10% of winning with lots and lots of DK, then the result will be very close, since DK are mainly NOTA's.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

OK, if one more PBer says they were polled we can safely call this a rogue. Anyone?

Incidentally, from the thread post:

"For ICM’s Wisdom Index those sampled are not not asked who they’d vote for but to give their predictions of party %ages, At GE10 it was said to have been more accurate than any other poll."

I've heard this claim often, does anyone know the original source? Presumably an ICM press release or something, but has anyone ever seen the tables or even headline VI from the 2010 Wisdom Index? Not that I think ICM would lie, but just for verification.
  • Options

"It's perfectly fair" if you believe a national election is to be determined more by the shapes some mandarins draw on a map, rather than the voters' collective decision.

Now that would meet the definition of "general nonsense"...
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

Coalition government is the huge problem with PR. No one knows what the hell they are voting for as our current overlords have shown

• Options
    Quincel said:

OK, if one more PBer says they were polled we can safely call this a rogue. Anyone?

"For ICM’s Wisdom Index those sampled are not not asked who they’d vote for but to give their predictions of party %ages, At GE10 it was said to have been more accurate than any other poll."

I've heard this claim often, does anyone know the original source? Presumably an ICM press release or something, but has anyone ever seen the tables or even headline VI from the 2010 Wisdom Index? Not that I think ICM would lie, but just for verification.
    Martin Boon said it back in 2012, and I'm certain the figures were provided in a journal a few weeks later, I'll try and dig it out.
  • Options

Coalition governments are strong if there is no major ideological differences between the coalition parties.
    The Tories and LD are mostly the same on policy now, so are Social Democrats with Christian Democrats. Almost all centre-left and centre right parties have no major policy differences.
  • Options
    Mr. Speedy, one might argue two parties with almost identical ideologies offer little difference to the electorate. Indeed, such limp-wristed consensus amongst the big three parties is why people outside the cosy consensus are so enthusiastic about UKIP.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Coalition governments are strong if there is no major ideological differences between the coalition parties.
    The Tories and LD are mostly the same on policy now, so are Social Democrats with Christian Democrats. Almost all centre-left and centre right parties have no major policy differences.
    Are you sure that isn't the permanent government machine conditioning them?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Are you sure that isn't the permanent government machine conditioning them?
    Or indeed the fear of electoral rout that drives them?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The Independent says there is an invasion of alien Quagga Mussels-check date not 01/04-close to Heathrow.Beware the invasion of the Quagga Mussels.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/quagga-mussels-most-dangerous-alien-species-found-in-reservoir-near-heathrow-airport-9789069.html
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, isn't a quagga a creature akin to a cross between a horse and zebra?

Wikipedia confirms:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga
  • Options

Mr. Pete, isn't a quagga a creature akin to a cross between a horse and zebra?

Wikipedia confirms:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga

There are zebra mussels as well so perhaps if there is a horse mussel.....

• Options

Mr. Speedy, one might argue two parties with almost identical ideologies offer little difference to the electorate. Indeed, such limp-wristed consensus amongst the big three parties is why people outside the cosy consensus are so enthusiastic about UKIP.

Oh dear, Mr Dancer, we're agreeing again!

I can recall reading , years ago, a novel in which the chief character opined that people in England were either Roundhead or Cavalier, and that when the chips were down one knew, instinctively, on which side one was.

Me. I'm Roundhead. Or more probably Leveller!
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Bloody Quagga Mussels coming over here,killing our fish.It was the Tories who let them in.They will soon start breeding too. And with our women mussels.Where's the Go Home vans when you need them and why has Farage has allowed these alien immigrants into an English UKIP area?
  • Options
    King Cole, must admit, my knowledge of the English Civil War is atrocious. In my defence, it's so modern as to be almost vulgar.
  • Options
    TCPB I think Labour may have a problem as Yes did with getting all its voters out
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I can recall reading , years ago, a novel in which the chief character opined that people in England were either Roundhead or Cavalier, and that when the chips were down one knew, instinctively, on which side one was.

Count me in as a Ranter!
  • Options

Bloody Quagga Mussels coming over here,killing our fish.It was the Tories who let them in.They will soon start breeding too. And with our women mussels.Where's the Go Home vans when you need them and why has Farage has allowed these alien immigrants into an English UKIP area?

You just keep on being a right on guardian reading multicultural wonk...people will vote for your party in droves

• Options

Can you eat them? With a dry white wine?
  • Options

Quincel said:

Martin Boon said it back in 2012, and I'm certain the figures were provided in a journal a few weeks later, I'll try and dig it out.
    I found the paper.
    https://www.mrs.org.uk/pdf/IJMR_54_(4)_Boon.pdf

It was as accurate as ICM's normal poll in 2010 and followed the ICM normal poll closely until mid 2011, after that it diverged and there were concerns by Boon as to why starting from page 10, I highlight this:

"Prompting with the previous Liberal Democrat
    election share has the effect of pushing up their Wisdom share of the
    vote prediction in both the general election pre-test and post-election
    tracker tests. There is little evidence to explain why this might be, but
    we might speculate that there is a lower level of general understanding
    about previous Liberal Democrat performance"
  • Options
    MorrisDancer Berlusconi, Renzi, even Prodi all strong Italian PMs. FPTP entrenches the political class and gives us Blair and Miliband majority governments on barely more than a third of the votes, PR ensures UKIP and the Greens and LDs and Scottish Tories and Surrey Labour voters get fairly represented. No secret PR leads to higher turnouts than nations with FPTP on average at general elections
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Is that an example of left wing humour? If so next time give us a clue and we'll laugh.....
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OKC Ireland a good example

Speedy Agreed
  • Options
    ZenPagan We got this Coalition under FPTP. Under Coalition you have to accept you will not get everything you way, but better than 50%+ of the electorate gets some say in the government, than 35% getting all the say
  • Options
    And the silver bullet for the wisdom index from Boon's paper (page 15):

"We can only speculate as to why the predictions were so poor, but
    Surowiecki (2004) again offers clues. He suggests that there must be
    at least some information for the crowds to be smart, citing the likely
    inability of a group of children to buy and sell stocks in Thiokol in the
    way that traders successfully managed after the Challenger disaster. Here,
    we cannot assume that the crowd had sufficient information to evaluate
    the referendum outcome adequately."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    What are people' thoughts on over/under for SNP seats?

Kind of hinges on what's happening to the Lib Dem vote shirley?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    We simply have to eliminate UKIP as anything other than a disruptive force, capable of effecting the results of the other three parties; capable of doing little in reality. Assuming a level of 15% support on Polling Day they are unlikely to win more than a handful of seats and their vote will be low in the key battlegrounds of London and Scotland.

Therefore their true significance lies in how their score affects the results in the 150 or so seats that will 'make' the election result.

Because however unfair PR may appear to LD and UKIP supporters, it's the electoral reality.

Brutally the result of the election will depend upon how UKIP changes the result in Labour/Tory marginals and in the South West, Essex, Hertfordshire and Kent.

May 2015 will be a nightmare for psephologists - and an opportunity for those prepared to bet rationally on a seat by seat basis.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MorrisDancer Berlusconi, Renzi, even Prodi all strong Italian PMs. FPTP entrenches the political class and gives us Blair and Miliband majority governments on barely more than a third of the votes, PR ensures UKIP and the Greens and LDs and Scottish Tories and Surrey Labour voters get fairly represented. No secret PR leads to higher turnouts than nations with FPTP on average at general elections

PR leads to parties being able to promise anything then ditch those promises as part of the coalition agreement and blame their partners for why they weren't upheld.

If you want to change the system go with the French one with two rounds of voting the second round being the top two in vote tallies

• Options
    Mr. HYUFD, a strong government to serve the national interest is more important than an 'all must have prizes' approach to the electoral system. How can political parties be held to account when they decide who forms the government under PR, and then decide which manifesto pledges are really just bargaining chips to be bartered and discarded?
  • Options
    Speedy Which is why the likes of the Greens on the left and UKIP on the right have grown, PR ensures they are fairly represented
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Now there's a joke if ever I heard one. Italy can't even properly get rid of that crook Berlusconi even after he's been convicted of a crime
  • Options

Count me in as a Ranter!
    Do you have "a general lack of moral values or restraint in worldly pleasures."

Sounds attractive, I must admit! Particularly the latter!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Opinium: c 2000 interviews from their panel of 30,000. They must be asking the same people fairly regularly.

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    UKIP is the frankenstein's monster of the Tory press and it is hilarious watching the sheer unadulterated panic in these organs now their creation is out of their control!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Opinium: c 2000 interviews from their panel of 30,000. They must be asking the same people fairly regularly.

I have the opinion that it's good to mix online polls with phone polls, since not everyone uses a computer daily and not everyone has a landline, also perceptions chance if you use the internet to be informed instead of newspapers or TV.
  • Options
    Opinium have also done a wisdom index

Despite giving Labour a 7pt lead more people now expect the Conservatives to win the next election than Labour. This is a reversal of the finding when the question was asked last year.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/11/labour-lead-over-tories-poll-conservatives-election
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    It seems as though the main appeal of Farage is that he's 'someone you could have a drink with in a pub'.

Or a Beer Hall, perhaps?
  • Options
    No, it doesn't work at all.
    For instance what if a party or candidate moved towards xbox gamer friendly policies and away from non xbox gamer friendly policies. They will jump in support from gamers but slump among everyone else.

To make it closer to Britain, it's like doing a poll in the TUC conference floor and use that as a proxy for the general election.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2014

Count me in as a Ranter!
    Do you have "a general lack of moral values or restraint in worldly pleasures."

Sounds attractive, I must admit! Particularly the latter!
    It is quite liberating!

Ranters are like the Cathars; what is written was written by their enemies.

Ranters were a revolutionary NonConformist sect, who believed in the direct experience of God, and believed that Priests were deceivers.

It is all phrased in religious rather than political terms (as were a lot of 17th Century discussions) but in many ways a similar disillusion with the established order to todays political disenchantment..
  • Options

Opinium have also done a wisdom index

Despite giving Labour a 7pt lead more people now expect the Conservatives to win the next election than Labour. This is a reversal of the finding when the question was asked last year.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/11/labour-lead-over-tories-poll-conservatives-election

As I have said (and found in Martin Boon's paper), people are behind the curve.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

It seems as though the main appeal of Farage is that he's 'someone you could have a drink with in a pub'.

Or a Beer Hall, perhaps?

I think its more that he doesnt speak "political wonk" but talks like a real human being

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
    Speedy said:

I have the opinion that it's good to mix online polls with phone polls, since not everyone uses a computer daily and not everyone has a landline, also perceptions chance if you use the internet to be informed instead of newspapers or TV.

I also wonder whether the association of any pollster with a particular newspaper is likely to warp the sample in online cases - not intentionally, but just because the readership are more familiar with the pollster, and therefore more likely to register.

I know they try to weight this out, but I'm not entirely convinced that they actually manage it.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Speedy said:

Quincel said:

I found the paper.
    https://www.mrs.org.uk/pdf/IJMR_54_(4)_Boon.pdf

It was as accurate as ICM's normal poll in 2010 and followed the ICM normal poll closely until mid 2011, after that it diverged and there were concerns by Boon as to why starting from page 10, I highlight this:

"Prompting with the previous Liberal Democrat
    election share has the effect of pushing up their Wisdom share of the
    vote prediction in both the general election pre-test and post-election
    tracker tests. There is little evidence to explain why this might be, but
    we might speculate that there is a lower level of general understanding
    about previous Liberal Democrat performance"
    Many thanks Speedy, this is perfect Saturday night reading.
  • Options
    Speedy said:
    When was it tried for you to be so certain about it not working?

This discussion has been closed.