Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The day after: Betting and other by-election round up

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

The problem with postal votes is that they are issued at the beginning of a campaign so they are returned by election day.

This means most are received and returned before the campaign is complete, which means the voters will not be influenced by the campaign. This gives a massive and in my opinion unfair advantage to the incumbent party.

When postal voting was restricted to a tiny number it wasn't much of a problem but now it is a problem.

I think they should be moved on line in the same way as you can vote for building society elections online after receiving the code through the post, with online voting only allowed between 7AM and 10PM on election day.

I don't see why we can't adopt the Australian system where postal votes can be cast up to polling day, and are not counted until later. They rarely affect the result in more than a couple of seats.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Plato said:

Mr Hodges made an interesting point - but is it true? It feels to me like the Bleedin' Obvious, then again - would Labour really lose more than it gained? blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100289196/after-the-catastrophe-of-heywood-labour-is-staring-down-the-barrels-of-ukips-tanks/

What do the 6% LD voters look like? How many DNVers are there that are going Kipper which Labour could bring home? Is having EdM in charge a fatal flaw in any such plan as he's just too metropolitan?

But only one party is in a position to do anything about it. Cameron can shift his party to the Right to meet the Ukip threat. If he shifts too far it will be electorally disastrous. But he can reach out incrementally to disaffected Ukip supporters in a range of areas – immigration, welfare, English votes, Europe, law and order, etc, and still go with the political grain of his party.

Miliband can’t. Last night wasn’t the moment he nearly lost a parliamentary seat. It was the moment he lost his entire electoral strategy. He has built his hopes of victory around taking the 29 per cent of people who voted Labour in 2010, and bolting on an additional 6 per cent of disaffected Lib Dem voters. The 35 per cent strategy.

That strategy is dead. His 35 per cent coalition is fracturing (or is at least perceived to be fracturing). And there is nothing – literally nothing – he can do about it. To beat back Farage he needs to move Right on all those issues I listed above. But he can’t. Because if he turns right on immigration or welfare or law and order, the Left of his party will turn on him and the Lib Dem refugees will abandon him.
    The result in Clacton was really bad for the Conservatives. They'd been hoping to get far closer to UKIP (cf Bunnco's post yesterday), and had campaigned with some vigour. They got nowhere.
    Labour tried all out in Heywood too. They both look weak.
    Having spent the day thinking about it, I think Clacton was worse for the Conservatives than H&M was for Labour. Labour supporters largely sat on their hands in H&M, and Labour can reasonably hope that they will turn out in much greater numbers in 2015 - though Labour should be worried that yet again they have been unable to motivate their core vote to come out and vote for them. Erstwhile Conservative supporters defected to UKIP. They won't be coming back.I agree that Clacton was worse, but in Heywood, with the full effort of the national Labour Party machine focused on the constituency, they added 0.8% to their 2010 result. Not good.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Plato said:

Mr Hodges made an interesting point - but is it true? It feels to me like the Bleedin' Obvious, then again - would Labour really lose more than it gained? blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100289196/after-the-catastrophe-of-heywood-labour-is-staring-down-the-barrels-of-ukips-tanks/

What do the 6% LD voters look like? How many DNVers are there that are going Kipper which Labour could bring home? Is having EdM in charge a fatal flaw in any such plan as he's just too metropolitan?

That strategy is dead. His 35 per cent coalition is fracturing (or is at least perceived to be fracturing). And there is nothing – literally nothing – he can do about it. To beat back Farage he needs to move Right on all those issues I listed above. But he can’t. Because if he turns right on immigration or welfare or law and order, the Left of his party will turn on him and the Lib Dem refugees will abandon him.
    The result in Clacton was really bad for the Conservatives. They'd been hoping to get far closer to UKIP (cf Bunnco's post yesterday), and had campaigned with some vigour. They got nowhere.
    Having spent the day thinking about it, I think Clacton was worse for the Conservatives than H&M was for Labour. Labour supporters largely sat on their hands in H&M, and Labour can reasonably hope that they will turn out in much greater numbers in 2015 - though Labour should be worried that yet again they have been unable to motivate their core vote to come out and vote for them. Erstwhile Conservative supporters defected to UKIP. They won't be coming back.

Save that if Labour voters think that by sitting on their hands, UKIP will take votes off Tories, the risk is that too many sit on their hands and UKIP could end up taking seats off Labour.

I agree that the result is worse for the Tories but Labour should be worried. To turn a safe seat into a marginal one this close to an election is not good for them. They appear barely to have advanced from their worst vote share of 2010.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Oh I met Peter Whittle yesterday too.. a really cool guy, I didn't even know he was semi famous!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Plato said:

But only one party is in a position to do anything about it. Cameron can shift his party to the Right to meet the Ukip threat. If he shifts too far it will be electorally disastrous. But he can reach out incrementally to disaffected Ukip supporters in a range of areas – immigration, welfare, English votes, Europe, law and order, etc, and still go with the political grain of his

Having spent the day thinking about it, I think Clacton was worse for the Conservatives than H&M was for Labour. Labour supporters largely sat on their hands in H&M, and Labour can reasonably hope that they will turn out in much greater numbers in 2015 - though Labour should be worried that yet again they have been unable to motivate their core vote to come out and vote for them. Erstwhile Conservative supporters defected to UKIP. They won't be coming back.
    Given Carswell's strong personal vote - he might even have won as an independent - it's tough to call - Rochester will be far more telling - if they can't hold that they are in very deeply serious trouble. But yes, it was less damaging for Labour - as with SINDY they were given a near death experience - but not death.....
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Roger said:

As I was googling for a decent rendition of 'Age of Aquarius' at Woodstock or early Glastonbury it occurred to me that anyone alive and aware at that time could never have imagined that forty years later a disc jockey would have been given a suspended jail term for briefly touching a friend's clothed breasts and a fascist party led by a beer swilling vulgarian would be changing the face of British politics

Calling UKIP fascist makes you sound stupid and ill-informed, and calling people vulgarians makes you sound silly, snobbish and socially insecure. And you have the facts of the dj case wrong.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    How risky is it to sing your national anthem while skating?

This the number 1 today on ESPN's Not Top Ten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesn-cFrYUY
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Cameron's Long Term Economic plan, pathetic sound bite stuff from DC - don't mention the debt, don't mention the trade deficits, the artificially low interest rates.

Next he will be spouting tractor stats just like Brown.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

I could lend Roger one of my Hawkwind albums... if he wants to go for the whole dropping acid trip. Or Mott The Hoople if that's more his cup of dandelion.

* I now have visions of Roger doing a Hendrix complete with flowery headband*
    isam said:

Roger said:

As I was googling for a decent rendition of 'Age of Aquarius' at Woodstock or early Glastonbury it occurred to me that anyone alive and aware at that time could never have imagined that forty years later a disc jockey would have been given a suspended jail term for briefly touching a friend's clothed breasts and a fascist party led by a beer swilling vulgarian would be changing the face of British politics

Yeah man, we just thought the world would run on peace and love, and we could eat acid for breakfast and it would all be like far out

Even hippies have to grow up.. you sound more and more like Malcolm from the Modern parents with every post
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    dr_spyn said:

Cameron's Long Term Economic plan, pathetic sound bite stuff from DC - don't mention the debt, don't mention the trade deficits, the artificially low interest rates.

Next he will be spouting tractor stats just like Brown.

His loyal followers have been doing that for ages cf avery's yellow boxes

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    Ishmael

"calling people vulgarians makes you sound silly, snobbish and socially insecure."

What would you call it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypLwI5AQvY
  • Options
    I'm not looking at Clacton at all - it's all about Rochester for me. Mr Carswell's personal vote was very substantial, and he did a pretty decent job of departing the Tories.

Mr Reckless is another kettle of fish, and even allowing for the manner of his departure - he's more like Lobby Fodder than anything else.

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Plato said:

snip

Given Carswell's strong personal vote - he might even have won as an independent - it's tough to call - Rochester will be far more telling - if they can't hold that they are in very deeply serious trouble. But yes, it was less damaging for Labour - as with SINDY they were given a near death experience - but not death.....

• Options
    Roger said:

Ishmael

"calling people vulgarians makes you sound silly, snobbish and socially insecure."

What would you call it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypLwI5AQvY

Speaking your mind?

While I am not a Farage fan nor a UKIP supporter it is nice to see a politician not falling into "weasel style pr wonk talk". This is what many ordinary people like about him. He speaks in terms they understand about issues they care about. More politicians should try it.

The fact you don't like it is irrelevant much like you and your metrosexual london luvvies

• Options
    Or watch Cliff and the Shadows 50th anniversary dvd. If that doesn't drive you to it then nothing will!
    Plato said:

LOL

I could lend Roger one of my Hawkwind albums... if he wants to go for the whole dropping acid trip. Or Mott The Hoople if that's more his cup of dandelion.

isam said:

Roger said:

Yeah man, we just thought the world would run on peace and love, and we could eat acid for breakfast and it would all be like far out

Even hippies have to grow up.. you sound more and more like Malcolm from the Modern parents with every post
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,511
    Roger said:

Ignoring the snobbery dripping from that post, do you not see the connection? One of the prime causes of UKIP's rise is the extent to which the political classes have lost touch with the values of the everyday person, and the agenda of the one is not supported by the other.
  • Options
    Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I'd have thought Little Jimmy Osmond was more Roger's style.......
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Dropping an unpopular useless leader didn't harm Labor in Australia in the 1983 GE.

http://primeministers.naa.gov.au/primeministers/hawke/before-office.aspx
  • Options

Roger said:

Ignoring the snobbery dripping from that post, do you not see the connection? One of the prime causes of UKIP's rise is the extent to which the political classes have lost touch with the values of the everyday person, and the agenda of the one is not supported by the other.
    You are talking to deaf ears here. I have been saying the same thing for ages before PB even moved to Vanilla and been told I am wrong by tribalists of all colours

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Hannan speaking sense:

What, then, should we do? We should offer something better. If British identity is systematically derided and traduced, if British history is presented as a hateful chronicle of racism and exploitation, if British patriotism is seen as knuckle-headed, don’t be surprised if many English, Scottish and Welsh people grope back towards older patriotisms. But where does this leave the children of immigrants? Is it any wonder that a few cast around for a more assertive identity?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100289156/the-way-to-defeat-british-jihadis-is-to-offer-something-better/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Thatcher just held Finchley in BBC Parliament 1974 election replay, also nip and tuck as to whether Liberals or SNP have most seats, interesting for next year
  • Options
    That sounds like something you've endured. Some friends of mine are huge fans of Cliff's Christian stuff - Xmas round their house is just painful... 5hrs of Mistletoe and Wine...

They're also tee-total just to add to the festive fun!
    Tim_B said:

Or watch Cliff and the Shadows 50th anniversary dvd. If that doesn't drive you to it then nothing will!

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

• Options
    I'll Be Your Long-Haired Lover From Liverpool should have got Jimmy Osmond time on remand at least.

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414
    @Plato "Mr Reckless is another kettle of fish"

A kipper?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,233
    The real Cliftian connoisseurs prefer 'Saviours Day' dontcha know.
    Plato said:

That sounds like something you've endured. Some friends of mine are huge fans of Cliff's Christian stuff - Xmas round their house is just painful... 5hrs of Mistletoe and Wine...

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    drspyn Indeed, but UK Labour presently has no Hawke and Cameron is no Fraser
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Socrates said:

Hannan speaking sense:

What, then, should we do? We should offer something better. If British identity is systematically derided and traduced, if British history is presented as a hateful chronicle of racism and exploitation, if British patriotism is seen as knuckle-headed, don’t be surprised if many English, Scottish and Welsh people grope back towards older patriotisms. But where does this leave the children of immigrants? Is it any wonder that a few cast around for a more assertive identity?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100289156/the-way-to-defeat-british-jihadis-is-to-offer-something-better/

Daniel Hannan is a very clever man and I like him and his fight for liberalism and freedom.
    However he knows nothing of Jihadism and the Wahabi base it derives from.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

As a kid we lived near Blackpool for a while. During the summer the shows took a night off each Sunday and they would have 1 night shows. So I got to see Cliff and the Shadows, the Beatles, Frank Ifield (!) and many others.

One of my favorite memories was of the Beatles, who walked off the stage leaving Paul McCartney alone to introduce a new song, who then sang what I thought at the time was a slow, dreadfully boring dirge that seemed to go on for ever.

Of course, it was "Yesterday".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    edited October 2014
    DH

"One of the prime causes of UKIP's rise is the extent to which the political classes have lost touch with the values of the everyday person"

I don't believe in what you call the "values of the everyday person". It's all down to persuasion and fashion. Very few have common grievances. They are taught by those with an interest

If the movers and shakers (The Sun and Mail) stopped selling this ultra rightism that Farage is peddling we could for example be following a generous or even a hippy agenda. Any idea can be made de rigueur if promoted by trusted and engaging people.

Movements like Farage's are there because Farage is there. If Simon Cowell and The Sun decided to promote the unique value and talent of Latvians you can be sure the Clacton's of this world would take them to their hearts.
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned Prof Fishers latest forecast that has Tories 6 seats ahead again? 299 Tories to 293 Lab.
  • Options
    They do not like it up 'em...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_uJAFRwBM
  • Options
    Roger said:

DH

"One of the prime causes of UKIP's rise is the extent to which the political classes have lost touch with the values of the everyday person"

I don't believe in what you call the "values of the everyday person". It's all down to persuasion and fashion. Very few have common grievances. They are taught by those with an interest

If the movers and shakers (The Sun and Mail) stopped selling this ultra rightism that Farage is peddling we could for example be following a generous or even a hippy agenda. Any idea can be made de rigueur if promoted by trusted and engaging people.

Movements like Farage's are there because Farage is there. If Simon Cowell and The Sun decided to promote the unique value and talent of Latvians you can be sure the Clacton's of this world would take them to their hearts.

Plato said:

I'll Be Your Long-Haired Lover From Liverpool should have got Jimmy Osmond time on remand at least.

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

Another thing Roger deserves!
  • Options
    Roger said:

DH

And there is the attitude in a nutshell....ordinary people would believe the same as me if they weren't so thick, uncouth and uncultured. If only one of our leaders would instruct them how to think properly like I do.

You wonder why we dislike you so much?

• Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

During the early 70s I was entertainment secretary for my local Young Conservatives. This meant I got to go to all the discos and parties put on by other branches all over south and west London,from Godstone and Guilford to out past Heathrow.

Whenever a dj played Long Haired Lover from Liverpool we would get up a collection of the price of the single, buy the record from the dj and we would destroy it by stamping on it.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    RodCrosby said:

The problem with postal votes is that they are issued at the beginning of a campaign so they are returned by election day.

This means most are received and returned before the campaign is complete, which means the voters will not be influenced by the campaign. This gives a massive and in my opinion unfair advantage to the incumbent party.

When postal voting was restricted to a tiny number it wasn't much of a problem but now it is a problem.

I think they should be moved on line in the same way as you can vote for building society elections online after receiving the code through the post, with online voting only allowed between 7AM and 10PM on election day.

I don't see why we can't adopt the Australian system where postal votes can be cast up to polling day, and are not counted until later. They rarely affect the result in more than a couple of seats.
    If you forget to post it you can turn up to the polling station on the day with the postal vote and have it counted.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

Hannan speaking sense:

Daniel Hannan is a very clever man and I like him and his fight for liberalism and freedom.
    However he knows nothing of Jihadism and the Wahabi base it derives from.
    Neither do the british jihadis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2684714/I-tell-I-m-going-jihad-Lol-I-ll-arrested-What-British-terrorist-Birmingham-told-childhood-friend-travelled-Syria-join-rebel-fighters.html

http://www.city-journal.org/html/15_4_suicide_bombers.html
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

During the early 70s I was entertainment secretary for my local Young Conservatives. This meant I got to go to all the discos and parties put on by other branches all over south and west London,from Godstone and Guilford to out past Heathrow.

Whenever a dj played Long Haired Lover from Liverpool we would get up a collection of the price of the single, buy the record from the dj and we would destroy it by stamping on it.
    Long Haired Lover From Liverpool featured on 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again'. They played the track for about 5 secs, then a gunshot rang out - Bill Oddie added 'too good for him'.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Roger said:

DH

The irony is that the Mail in particular foments a particular kind of outrage only to find that those of that temperament will vote for a party which will enable a leftie government to be installed.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The most important development for UKIP today (apart from the by-elections) is that they are beginning to use the very successful Ron Paul method of campaign finance:

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 3h3 hours ago
    UKIP has already raised over £12,000 online for an 'Elect MPs' moneybomb. The future. https://electmps-ukip.nationbuilder.com/elect_ukip_mps
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

Long Haired Lover From Liverpool featured on 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again'. They played the track for about 5 secs, then a gunshot rang out - Bill Oddie added 'too good for him'.
    I remember that! ISIRTA also had the 'dirty song book' where they would take songs and censor the naughty bits. They did Tom Jones - It's not unusual to have BUZZ with anyone - Julie Andrews - I could have BUZZ all night - and Rolf Harris - Two little boys had two little BUZZ.
  • Options
    Indeed - but is he a sprat to catch a mackerel?

A kipper?

• Options
    Plato said:

A kipper?

Is he hard of herring?
  • Options
    perdix said:

Roger said:

DH

The irony is that the Mail in particular foments a particular kind of outrage only to find that those of that temperament will vote for a party which will enable a leftie government to be installed.

See this is your classic pb tory mistake.

Labour moved to the centre under blair, they haven't left

Conservatives moved to the centre under Cameron, they haven't left.

Whichever gets in we have a centrist government. Why should we give a toss whether its a millibrand or a cameron they both are not going to do anything about any of our concerns.

You want to cuddle up to the centre which is probably about 40 to 45% of voters then don't be surprised if the left and right voters go off looking elsewhere.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Breitbart have an interesting piece. The cash benefits for UKIP having an MP.

"Short Money – Annual Value = £142,685

The money is open to any political party that has either two MPs or one MP plus over 150,000 voters at the last election. Eligible parties get £14,015 for every seat won at the last election plus £27.99 for every 200 votes gained. This would give UKIP a whopping £142,685."

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/10/UKIPs-350k-A-Year-Clacton-Lottery-Win
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I remember that! ISIRTA also had the 'dirty song book' where they would take songs and censor the naughty bits. They did Tom Jones - It's not unusual to have BUZZ with anyone - Julie Andrews - I could have BUZZ all night - and Rolf Harris - Two little boys had two little BUZZ.
    Found a clip for Rolf Harris.

http://www.youtube.com
    /watch?v=LUtmt6WinUA
  • Options
    Love it! Did they call them dark nights then too? I remember coming across DNs [I think it was Mondays] first in the States when I'd no idea that almost every LVegas show took the same nights off together... Didn't get caught out by those again on my next trip.
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

As a kid we lived near Blackpool for a while. During the summer the shows took a night off each Sunday and they would have 1 night shows. So I got to see Cliff and the Shadows, the Beatles, Frank Ifield (!) and many others.

One of my favorite memories was of the Beatles, who walked off the stage leaving Paul McCartney alone to introduce a new song, who then sang what I thought at the time was a slow, dreadfully boring dirge that seemed to go on for ever.

Of course, it was "Yesterday".
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,863
    Roger said:

DH

Nope. In a cutthroat news industry, the key to success (it would seem to me) is to find the direction that people are already going and to peddle whatever marches with that.

"Deciding" on a direction unilaterally and trying to push everyone in that direction is a far more 'courageous' approach, and not one followed by most of the big players.

Find out what people want, and sell it to them. In tonne lots, accentuated to the maximum. That's the philosophy that shifts the most.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DH

Perfect, absolutely perfect.

As long as elitist idiots like you have that attitude the more Ukip will continue to prosper. Labour have lost the WWC forever and the Islington elite still can't work out why.
  • Options
    @Tim_B

Football Scores.

/watch?v=-pwGAx8jBGM

Has someone uploaded Alice in Wonderland?
  • Options
    It could've been worse - Johnny Mathis and When A Child Is Born... Wow I HATE that song. Boney M and Mary's Boy Child runs it a close second.

The real Cliftian connoisseurs prefer 'Saviours Day' dontcha know.

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Tim_B said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

Found a clip for Rolf Harris.

/watch?v=LUtmt6WinUA
    Wonderful stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUtmt6WinUA
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

And there is the attitude in a nutshell....ordinary people would believe the same as me if they weren't so thick, uncouth and uncultured. If only one of our leaders would instruct them how to think properly like I do.

I wonder if such sentiments were expressed in much the same way in the years after the founding of the Labour party when the ungrateful plebs who the had so recently been given the vote for started to vote Labour in large numbers and deserted the parties of their betters?

I've been saying for a while that UKIP are the UKs DUP and will do to the Tories what the DUP have done to the UUP.

This is a divorce of the C1s, C2s and "Basildon" & rural D's from the As and Bs of the tory party who have treated them with such contempt.

And a divorce of the rest of the Ds and the Es from a Labour party now run by A's and B's who thought they “had nowhere else to go”
  • Options
    Danny Morrison ‏@molloy1916 28s29 seconds ago
    The poor English - Ed Miliband, the alternative.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Roger said:

DH

Are you channeling Russell Brand again today?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128

Don't a large number of countries demand that those visiting on a short term basis, or even migrating permanently, must buy health insurance for a certain transitional period e.g. first 6-12 months. So if that was the case your point would be mute.

Don't think so. I've visited about 20 countries on every continent except Australasia in the last few years. I've never been asked if I have health insurance (I don't). Wouldn't mean we couldn't do it (except for EEA citizens) but it'd be unusual and presumably have a cost to the tourist trade (hassle factor and forcing healthy young people to take a policy). A serious study of the comparative costs and savings would be helpful.

I believe most countries require permanent settlers to have private cover or pay into the national system through work. Tourists , etc are expected to have travel insurance. The EHIC card is solely for emergency treatment.It's interesting to know how limited is the knowledge of some prospective and past MPs. In Spain proof of medical insurance is a requirement of the issue of residency.

The link may help widen your knowledge of the position here in the UK Mr. Palmer;
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/healthcare_e/healthcare_help_wi
  • Options
    In the end, the big parties should have realised that UK turnouts dropping from 77.7% in 1992 to 59.4, 61.4 & 65.4 in 2001, 2005 and 2010 respectively, after being in the high seventies or even eighties for most of the post war period, was an ominous sign.

The voters hadn't lost interest, they just didn't feel any of the parties standing represented them. And now they are back.
  • Options
    Daily Mirror ‏@DailyMirror 38s38 seconds ago
    Ed Miliband right man - despite 'panda eyes and strange lips', says Jack Straw
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed-miliband-right-man-job-4417130

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ha!

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

I never got the Osmond's fan thingy. I'd give a Most Embarrassing Track Award to them for Crazy Horses.

I can't even type those words without simultaneously laughing and cringing at the ridiculous screaming guitar-neighing. For anyone who was fortunate enough to have missed it > here it is youtube.com/watch?v=qMM3MgS4yxc

Osmonds doing their version of heavy metal...
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

• Options
    Sue Jones ‏@SueFJones 5m5 minutes ago
    Who advised @Ed_Miliband not to answer questions today? He says I'm going to listen & then walks away. That looks & is really bad.
  • Options

ZenPagan said:

I wonder if such sentiments were expressed in much the same way in the years after the founding of the Labour party when the ungrateful plebs who the had so recently been given the vote for started to vote Labour in large numbers and deserted the parties of their betters?

I've been saying for a while that UKIP are the UKs DUP and will do to the Tories what the DUP have done to the UUP.

This is a divorce of the C1s, C2s and "Basildon" & rural D's from the As and Bs of the tory party who have treated them with such contempt.

And a divorce of the rest of the Ds and the Es from a Labour party now run by A's and B's who thought they “had nowhere else to go”
    Well frankly while I regard myself as an ordinary person I am probably categorised as b/c1

I do not think that any of the three main parties either understands or wishes to understand and better my lot. Will UKIP do either, no probably not. I am unlikely to vote for them as they have few policies I like except leave the EU and I want that for entirely different reasons to most (but not all ukip members). I have nowhere to go but I have reached the point where I won't vote rather than vote for the least worst choice because they then take that vote as "I like your policies".

I said the other night if people stopped voting against parties and only voted for parties that had policies they thought good then parties would have to start tailoring their policies to what people wanted I stand by that.

To me the ideal election in 2015 is that every single voter goes "nope not going to play, go away and come up with policies we like then ask us again"

• Options
    Plato said:

A kipper?

My favourite pun is asking if the Kippers are red herrings
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2m2 minutes ago
    Do expect Ed Miliband to harden Labour's position on immigration.......
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ha!

I never got the Osmond's fan thingy. I'd give a Most Embarrassing Track Award to them for Crazy Horses.

I can't even type those words without simultaneously laughing and cringing at the ridiculous screaming guitar-neighing. For anyone who was fortunate enough to have missed it > here it is youtube.com/watch?v=qMM3MgS4yxc

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I have two older sisters. One was an Osmond's fan, the other was a Bay City Rollers fan. The 70's in my home was a nightmare.

• Options
    Excellent.

There is a time and plaice for everything.
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

A kipper?

• Options
    From Damian Thompson

@Holysmoke

"'On[c]e Labor represented cream of the working class; now the dregs of the middle class.' Refers to Australia but so pertinent tonight."
  • Options

I've been saying for a while that UKIP are the UKs DUP

The DUP are the UKs DUP, surely? Unless there was an NI IndyRef while I was asleep.
  • Options
    My condolences. Did the BCR fan wear high waisted trousers and stitch on her own tartan too?

That was a craze and a half. I couldn't name a single BCR song, their drummer was called Derek IIRC and looked very odd. The girl who sat next to me at primary school had a poster of him stuck to the lid of her desk, then she traded him in for David Essex - complete with sparkly eyeshadow. Eww.

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I have two older sisters. One was an Osmond's fan, the other was a Bay City Rollers fan. The 70's in my home was a nightmare.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Innumerate reporter on the BBC this evening whilst getting the carry out. Said the UKIP vote had increased by nearly 60%. This sort of thing drives me mad. Why are people like this even employed?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Innumerate reporter on the BBC this evening whilst getting the carry out. Said the UKIP vote had increased by nearly 60%. This sort of thing drives me mad. Why are people like this even employed?
  • Options

In the end, the big parties should have realised that UK turnouts dropping from 77.7% in 1992 to 59.4, 61.4 & 65.4 in 2001, 2005 and 2010 respectively, after being in the high seventies or even eighties for most of the post war period, was an ominous sign.

The voters hadn't lost interest, they just didn't feel any of the parties standing represented them. And now they are back.

You're overstating the past turnouts.

The 80s were a rare exception (50 and 51 wasn't it?) that regressed back to the long term norm (I think 70-80% has held true with occasional exceptions back through the last hundred and 50 years or so).

Likewise the general turnout was low 70s about as often as it was high 70s (off the top of my head). 1997 was the lowest in the post-war period but by a very small amount.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    dr_spyn said:

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2m2 minutes ago
    Do expect Ed Miliband to harden Labour's position on immigration.......

Doubt it will happen it's simply not within his DNA to act or even sound credible on this issue.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

A kipper?

Well as long as they do not flounder I'm sure many of us will be perfectly happy
  • Options
    Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I like crazy horses as a song, I think without the Osmonds connection it'd be a bit better thought of.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,459

A kipper?

Don't humour her
  • Options
    Plato said:

My condolences. Did the BCR fan wear high waisted trousers and stitch on her own tartan too?

That was a craze and a half. I couldn't name a single BCR song, their drummer was called Derek IIRC and looked very odd. The girl who sat next to me at primary school had a poster of him stuck to the lid of her desk, then she traded him in for David Essex - complete with sparkly eyeshadow. Eww.

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

Tartan was every-bleedin-where.
    Bye Bye Baby was probably their most famous song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwW108ITzw
  • Options
    Plato said:

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

As a side note Plato.

May I submit, Dschingkis Khan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrsMi_-5AfM
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Plato said:

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwW108ITzw
    That song always reminds me of this scene, which I find incredibly sad watching today knowing that later Liam really did lose his wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJbXSiuRdE

• Options
    Somewhere else, we discussed socially embarrassing songs we rather liked/owned.

I confessed to owning a Gilbert O'Sullivan track... and All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. Crazy Horses is a step too far even more me, and I once owned a Barry Manilow album.
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I like crazy horses as a song, I think without the Osmonds connection it'd be a bit better thought of.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    Have UKIP suddenly become extremists for proposing an HIV-immigration test similar to Canada ?
    http://smith-hughes.com/papers/pdf_bin/Overview-of-Canadian-Immigration-LawPoliciesHIV.pdf
    Imagine. Aping those notorious maple-syrup-eating bstards!
    When I think of the trouble Canadian Extremism has caused the world, I want to !spit!
  • Options
    @corporeal‌ Holy Hell.
  • Options
    Oh that's where I remember it from... I didn't know his wife in real life died, very sad indeed.

Plato said:

snip

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

snip

That song always reminds me of this scene, which I find incredibly sad watching today knowing that later Liam really did lose his wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJbXSiuRdE

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Plato said:

Oh that's where I remember it from... I didn't know his wife in real life died, very sad indeed.

Plato said:

snip

Plato said:

Ha!

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

snip

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tJbXSiuRdE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson#Injury_and_death
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

Have UKIP suddenly become extremists for proposing an HIV-immigration test similar to Canada ?
    http://smith-hughes.com/papers/pdf_bin/Overview-of-Canadian-Immigration-LawPoliciesHIV.pdf
    When I think of the trouble Canadian Extremism has caused the world, I want to !spit!

UKIP have always been extremist because they do not submit themselves to upholding the common purpose/ guardian/metropolitan elite mantra

• Options
    OT Quick Rolling Stones question. Never been a fan, only have Paint It Black and Play With Fire as tracks- any recommendations that are similar to these? Just the titles are fine to save hunting out YTubery.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

OT Quick Rolling Stones question. Never been a fan, only have Paint It Black and Play With Fire as tracks- any recommendations that are similar to these? Just the titles are fine to save hunting out YTubery.

Their psychedilic period was fairly short. You may like "Ruby Tuesday" or "Get off of my Cloud"

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

The obvious famous ones would be Gimme Shelter (somewhat heavier though) and Sympathy for the Devil, You can't always get what you want (you'll remember from House) and Wild Horses.

(These are probably heavily influenced by my lack of Stones knowledge, I'm more of a Boss fan).
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

The obvious famous ones would be Gimme Shelter (somewhat heavier though) and Sympathy for the Devil, You can't always get what you want (you'll remember from House) and Wild Horses.
    Waiting On A Friend is magnificent
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

I confessed to owning a Gilbert O'Sullivan track... and All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. Crazy Horses is a step too far even more me, and I once owned a Barry Manilow album.

corporeal said:

Plato said:

Ha!

Brilliant. Just

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

LOL

isam said:

Roger said:

I remember (vaguely) a wild party in a Nurses home where we played only Cliff Richard. It was rather before ironic post modernism was fashionable!
  • Options
    Plato said:

As far as I can remember, I have only ever bought one single (Back in the short part of my music listening life where people still bought music).

It was a duet between Sting and Craig David.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

(These are probably heavily influenced by my lack of Stones knowledge, I'm more of a Boss fan).
    Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Satisfaction...
  • Options
    Plato said:

Stray Cat Blues should be right up your street.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Plato said:

Another Boss fan? Love it, that's two of us on PB!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Knives are out for Ed..... but its far, far to late.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Fat_Steve said:

Quite unlike Farage's suggestion, as he presented/defended it.

• Options

Plato said:

Stray Cat Blues should be right up your street.
    So would Country Honk
  • Options
    Having seen the Stones many many times, I'm a fan.

My favourite Stones tracks

Start Me Up, I'm Free, Brown Sugar, Paint It Black, You Can't Always Get What You Want, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Was performed on their Forty Licks Tour and is on the Live Licks album), Not Fade Away, Let's Spend The Night Together, She's A Rainbow, Wild Horses, Ruby Tuesday.

Also a Springsteen fan, download his cover of Because The Night on iTunes.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @plmrgn: Fella from Clacton on the radio then, "I voted UKIP because I haven't seen my MP since the last election!"

Hate to break it to ya, pal...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Start Me Up, I'm Free, Brown Sugar, Paint It Black, You Can't Always Get What You Want, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (Was performed on their Forty Licks Tour and is on the Live Licks album), Not Fade Away, Let's Spend The Night Together, She's A Rainbow, Wild Horses, Ruby Tuesday.

Cover? COVER?

• Options

Erm, it's not a cover

He wrote it.
  • Options

Ahem, Mr Eagles. Given Bruce co-wrote the song it's not really a cover.

(and is my tweet responsible for your arrival?)
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Cover? COVER?

My memory maybe a bit hazy, I knew he wrote it, but wasn't it first performed by The Patti Smith Group?

Or is this my biggest musical faux pas on PB since I outed myself as a Right Said Fred fan.
This discussion has been closed.