Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Richard Nabavi asks Would Ed face a coup a few months after

Comments

• Jonathan said:

Thank-you Richard for your article.

IMO any trouble that Labour might get into after a close GE result, would be nought compared to the trouble Dave would experience trying to navigate an EU negotiation.

That may be so, but it's a theme which has been well explored. In fact it's not the only such trouble Dave might face:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/robertcolvile/100288771/does-david-cameron-realise-how-miserable-a-second-term-would-be/
  • JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I hope that was satire Plato.

Happens to the best of us.
  • dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Fascinating to read Labour "supporters" panicking after three basically statistical dead-heats from YouGov (leads of 1-2% are well within MoE) yet ignoring yesterday's Populus showing a 6% Labour lead.

No surprise either to see the Conservative-inclined quite to pick up and amplify such "despair" but that's the nature of politics.

You mean like the Guardian?

They relegate the populus poll to the bottom almost as an afterthought

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/07/labour-poll-rating-four-year-low-miliband
    I am sure I read in The Guardian yesterday that Farage wasn't doing much better in terms of popularity than other party leaders, showed by him being on net (-1) against Miliband and Clegg who were (-36) & (-40odd)
    The Guardian wrote this

If all the established Westminster leaders emerge as distinctly unloved, the most prominent political insurgent is not exactly mopping up all the lost affection. Just 36% say Nigel Farage is doing a good job, while 37% think he is performing badly. That produces a net –1 for the Ukip leader in the week of the Clacton-on-Sea byelection. It is a modest improvement over some of his recent scores, but remains a considerable setback from May 2013, when he briefly enjoyed net approval of +17.

Seems fair.
    You can dislike Farage and his policies all you want but having led his party to victory in the European elections, built a considerable councillor base in local government, pushed the Conservatives to the right, forced Cameron to pledge an in/out referendum and engineered the defections of two tory MP's in almost total secrecy I don't see how anyone can objectively say he is performing badly.
    He's making sure the UKIP raison d'être, an in/out referendum is less likely.

As strategic blunders go, it's up there with the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbour to keep America out of the Second World War
  • isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Fascinating to read Labour "supporters" panicking after three basically statistical dead-heats from YouGov (leads of 1-2% are well within MoE) yet ignoring yesterday's Populus showing a 6% Labour lead.

No surprise either to see the Conservative-inclined quite to pick up and amplify such "despair" but that's the nature of politics.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/07/labour-poll-rating-four-year-low-miliband
    I am sure I read in The Guardian yesterday that Farage wasn't doing much better in terms of popularity than other party leaders, showed by him being on net (-1) against Miliband and Clegg who were (-36) & (-40odd)
    The Guardian wrote this

If all the established Westminster leaders emerge as distinctly unloved, the most prominent political insurgent is not exactly mopping up all the lost affection. Just 36% say Nigel Farage is doing a good job, while 37% think he is performing badly. That produces a net –1 for the Ukip leader in the week of the Clacton-on-Sea byelection. It is a modest improvement over some of his recent scores, but remains a considerable setback from May 2013, when he briefly enjoyed net approval of +17.

Seems fair.
    How many points clear of Miliband and Clegg is he?

If that is from all voters, he is doing very well.,I keep hearing that UKIP are the most disliked party, yet he is not unpopular, and two of his rivals are 30-40 points more unpopular, despite leading more popular parties
    You wrote "I am sure I read in The Guardian yesterday that Farage wasn't doing much better in terms of popularity than other party leaders" which I proved causes epistemological problems.
    What are you arguing about here?
    Your original point that the guardian misreported their own poll.

• MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

SeanT said:

No.

Back to Kobane.

I am mystified by Turkey's continued stasis. Sure, I can see why Erdogan was reluctant to tackle ISIS, he prefers them to the PKK.

But violent riots are now erupting across Turkey. Twitter says one Kurd has been shot dead by police in Varto. Statues of Ataturk are going up in flames:

http://tinyurl.com/nvxbg27

Turkey's inaction as Kobane falls pretty much guarantees a new generation of Kurdish resentment, possibly even nationwide violence and insurrection. Stupid. Turkey is sowing the wind but will reap the whirlwind.

Kobane will be Turkey's Srebrenica. Well armed soldiers standing by and passively allowing a massacre. The idea that air power can somehow hold back the tide is being well and truly deconstructed in front of our eyes. I'm sure Turkey's Nato friends are thoroughly impressed. Not
    Erdogan will be pleased that statues of Ataturk are going up in flames. Ataturk, was anti religious and tried hard to follow western thought and methods when he was in power. Erdogan is the opposite, an islamist whose plan is to make all Turkey into a religious muslim state: Ataturk going up in flames will be a balm to his breast.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Indeed. And I always think of Will Hay as Mr Porter and his expression

"I can say what I like".

Not anymore.

TGOHF said:

FPT - @Roger - which Scottish Labour MPs voted against gay marriage in England

Tom Clarke (Coatbridge, Chryston & Bellshill)

Brian Donohoe (Ayrshire Central)

Michael McCann (East Kilbride, Strathaven & Lesmahagow)

Jim McGovern (Dundee West),

Iain McKenzie (Inverclyde)

Frank Roy (Motherwell & Wishaw)

Jim Sheridan (Paisley & Renfrewshire North)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/labour-and-lib-dem-mps-who-voted-against-gay-marriage-full-list

All areas with a high Catholic vote. And areas that voted Yes in high numbers. All a coincidence.

If EVEL can free us from these medieval religious influences then we should all applaud.
    139 Conservative MPs voted against
    Not sure I'd use the word medieval. Around 15 years ago, a majority of public opinion would have been clearly against - not sure we were medieval in 1999?

Rightly or wrongly (and I'm not sure I'm too fussed either way) there are still a significant number of people who hold a traditional view of marriage: a legal sexual union of two opposing genders. I don't think they should be vilified for it, although I recognise that it's now outdated.

What gripes with me is how it's almost impossible for anyone to oppose same-sex marriage, today, without being called homophobic. You sometimes can't even defend those that do without being 'implicated' yourself.

I don't like that. Not at all. Bigotry seems to be wonderful when it's in the name of opposing alleged bigotry.
    There are a number of commonplaces of conversation from years ago that I remember hearing and saying in maybe the 1970s, but no longer do.

One is: It's a free country.
    Two is: I'm entitled to my opinion.
    Three is: Nice one Cyril.

Have I stopped hearing all three for rhe same reason? Or is there something sinister about the extinction of the first two? When did this happen?
  • FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

Damian McBride ‏@DPMcBride · 11m11 minutes ago
    There comes a time when every leader needs 'fat men' around them. Ed M will finally be learning that now.

do what ? - Is that some odd reference to Labour Grandee John Prescott?
    It means he needs some muscle. In Ed's place I would be on the phone to Mandelson and McBride today and getting them into my tent for the campaign while sending the likes of Axelrod and the other imported campaign runners packing. Part of this obsession Labour have with the Obama victory of 2008 is going to kill them in 2015.
    Ed going back to the arch-prince of New Labour in the Prince of Darkness?

Can't see it. Even Brown had to be dragged kicking and screaming to use Mandy again.
    If Ed is serious about winning then he needs to get Mandy on the phone sooner rather than later. The fact that he hasn't is quite telling though. 35% becomes 33% and that will become 30% by May 2015, now it is all about how poorly the Lib Dems do and how much the Tories can draw away from Lab 2010 and UKIP's current VI.
    How well would campaigning for a Labour government go down with Mandelson's banking paymasters, the brothers Lazard etc?
    Its one thing (albeit bad enough) to bring Mandelson back when you are in govt and he can sit on and chair cabinet committees and pull strings, but its another when you are an opposition and he has little he can do. But does anyone really see the nation's bush telegraph flickering with joy at the announcement that 'Mandy is back'?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368

Jonathan said:

Thank-you Richard for your article.

IMO any trouble that Labour might get into after a close GE result, would be nought compared to the trouble Dave would experience trying to navigate an EU negotiation.

That may be so, but it's a theme which has been well explored. In fact it's not the only such trouble Dave might face:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/robertcolvile/100288771/does-david-cameron-realise-how-miserable-a-second-term-would-be/
    A Labour administration could be the more stable option.

Dave has not made a second term easy for himself

(a) raising expectations on tax cuts and ring-fenced budgets
    (b) kicking cans down the road (on which he will now be expected to deliver) most of all the EU
    (c) an increasingly itchy 2010 intake who see their careers not happening.

• isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited October 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.
    How many points clear of Miliband and Clegg is he?

If that is from all voters, he is doing very well.,I keep hearing that UKIP are the most disliked party, yet he is not unpopular, and two of his rivals are 30-40 points more unpopular, despite leading more popular parties
    You wrote "I am sure I read in The Guardian yesterday that Farage wasn't doing much better in terms of popularity than other party leaders" which I proved causes epistemological problems.
    What are you arguing about here?
    Your original point that the guardian misreported their own poll.

EDIT: Actually, don't respond, I cant be getting into pointless arguments like this, so dull

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.
    You can dislike Farage and his policies all you want but having led his party to victory in the European elections, built a considerable councillor base in local government, pushed the Conservatives to the right, forced Cameron to pledge an in/out referendum and engineered the defections of two tory MP's in almost total secrecy I don't see how anyone can objectively say he is performing badly.

As strategic blunders go, it's up there with the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbour to keep America out of the Second World War
    As usual you can't stop talking rubbish or using hyperbole where UKIP and Farage is concerned. Do grow up!
  • Ishmael_X said:

TGOHF said:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/labour-and-lib-dem-mps-who-voted-against-gay-marriage-full-list

All areas with a high Catholic vote. And areas that voted Yes in high numbers. All a coincidence.

If EVEL can free us from these medieval religious influences then we should all applaud.
    117 Conservative MPs vote in favour.
    And they all represented English constituencies, voting on an issue that would only affect them.

Why should Scottish voters have two says in the matter - once in Scotland, and again in England?

Because they are MPs all of whom are entitled to vote on all Westminster votes?
    Yes, well spotted, but the question under review is whether they should continue to have that entitlement. As has already been said this really isn't difficult.
    Apparently it is difficult

Precisely which bills are ‘English’? A large proportion are a mixture of English and UK extent, as other measures are added during the passage of a Bill. What about ‘English’ bills that have public expenditure implications across the UK? Would such a system create two classes of MP?
    It's very simple.

If the matter is one devolved to the Scotch parliament then Scotch MPs are excluded from the vote at Westminster.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 596

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.

An in/out referendum probably cannot be won in 2017 under a Tory government. Cameron will declare a great victory for Britain regardless of negotiations and big business will put the frighteners on people as they did in Scotland. Better wait until a Labour government is forced into giving a referendum or a genuine Eurosceptic becomes Tory leader. A lost referendum in 2017 would probably be a mortal blow for UKIP and any chance of the UK ever leaving the EU.
  • SeanT said:

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.

Piffle. Farage knows very well that an IN/OUT vote under Cameron, after some phoney reform, would very likely be won by IN. 95% chance.

He wants - like Salmond - to seize the day at the right moment. An EU vote in the early 2020s under a Tory-UKIP Coalition would be much more winnable.

Tory fear and loathing of Farage - shared by many on the left - blinds them to his ovbvious skills and nous. He is a smart operator. He really is like Salmond. He's played a blinder the last five years.
    You mean like Salmond that lost the referendum and possibly ended Scottish independence for a generation ?

Yes I see the comparison. Both ultimately vanquished by Cameron
  • ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

TGOHF said:

Not sure I'd use the word medieval. Around 15 years ago, a majority of public opinion would have been clearly against - not sure we were medieval in 1999?

Rightly or wrongly (and I'm not sure I'm too fussed either way) there are still a significant number of people who hold a traditional view of marriage: a legal sexual union of two opposing genders. I don't think they should be vilified for it, although I recognise that it's now outdated.

What gripes with me is how it's almost impossible for anyone to oppose same-sex marriage, today, without being called homophobic. You sometimes can't even defend those that do without being 'implicated' yourself.

I don't like that. Not at all. Bigotry seems to be wonderful when it's in the name of opposing alleged bigotry.
    And being guilty of a PC-thought crime, NuLabour´s storm troopers will happily come round to arrest you.
  • Jonathan said:

(c) an increasingly itchy 2010 intake who see their careers not happening.

Not sure that's right. Yes, of course not all of the 100 or so new 2010 MPs will see their careers taking off - that's just arithmetic, would be true of any government, and is exacerbated by the fact of being in coalition. Even so, it's hard to argue that, for example, Nicky Morgan (entered parliament 2010, promoted to a senior cabinet role in 2014) has seen her career 'not happening'.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

Damian McBride ‏@DPMcBride · 11m11 minutes ago
    There comes a time when every leader needs 'fat men' around them. Ed M will finally be learning that now.

do what ? - Is that some odd reference to Labour Grandee John Prescott?
    It means he needs some muscle. In Ed's place I would be on the phone to Mandelson and McBride today and getting them into my tent for the campaign while sending the likes of Axelrod and the other imported campaign runners packing. Part of this obsession Labour have with the Obama victory of 2008 is going to kill them in 2015.
    Ed going back to the arch-prince of New Labour in the Prince of Darkness?

Can't see it. Even Brown had to be dragged kicking and screaming to use Mandy again.
    If Ed is serious about winning then he needs to get Mandy on the phone sooner rather than later. The fact that he hasn't is quite telling though. 35% becomes 33% and that will become 30% by May 2015, now it is all about how poorly the Lib Dems do and how much the Tories can draw away from Lab 2010 and UKIP's current VI.
    How well would campaigning for a Labour government go down with Mandelson's banking paymasters, the brothers Lazard etc?
    Its one thing (albeit bad enough) to bring Mandelson back when you are in govt and he can sit on and chair cabinet committees and pull strings, but its another when you are an opposition and he has little he can do. But does anyone really see the nation's bush telegraph flickering with joy at the announcement that 'Mandy is back'?
    The cult of Mandelson is all very well but he lost for Kinnock, won with Blair but built on a lead established by John Smith who'd had nothing to do with Mandelson, and then lost again with Brown. Whether Mandelson was the author of some of Brown's dafter stunts, I could not say.
  • TSE

Maybe Farage is a deeper thinker than you give credit for. A 2017 referendum will very likely result in a a No (ie stay in). Dave knows this. Hell, even the LibDems are saying a 2017 referendum need not be feared. It'd be Sindy on steroids.

So...Farage needs Dave to lose 2015 and Ed Is Crap Is PM to come to pass. The EU itself (or the Euro) will be 5 years closer to the undertakers anyway by then. And 5 years of lefty EU surrender from Ed - marvelous!

Strategically Nigel needs to eat into Dave as far as possible and ruin his election if we are ever to actually leave the EU.
  • It always amuses me to see the Kippers slide seamlessly from 'Cameron is a traitor because he won't give us a referendum!' to 'Cameron is a traitor because he is going to give us a referendum!'
  • MikeK said:

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.

As usual you can't stop talking rubbish or using hyperbole where UKIP and Farage is concerned. Do grow up!
    Well some of us are worried about the devastation caused by little boy and fat man(The Two Eds) being unleashed on the country.
  • It always amuses me to see the Kippers slide seamlessly from 'Cameron is a traitor because he won't give us a referendum!' to 'Cameron is a traitor because he is going to give us a referendum!'

It's great fun to watch Richard. Kippers can be very entertaining. Every zoo should have a pair.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Astonishing. ISIS in Kobane: the Tweetable Terror.

Aa well as not fighting themselves, the Turks are preventing thousands of Kurds from crossing the border into Kobane to help the Kurdish fighters.

Even without the Turks, the Kurds could probably turn the town into a giant killing field for ISIS (and themselves).

• Patrick said:

TSE

Maybe Farage is a deeper thinker than you give credit for. A 2017 referendum will very likely result in a a No (ie stay in). Dave knows this. Hell, even the LibDems are saying a 2017 referendum need not be feared. It'd be Sindy on steroids.

So...Farage needs Dave to lose 2015 and Ed Is Crap Is PM to come to pass. The EU itself (or the Euro) will be 5 years closer to the undertakers anyway by then. And 5 years of lefty EU surrender from Ed - marvelous!

Strategically Nigel needs to eat into Dave as far as possible and ruin his election if we are ever to actually leave the EU.

I'm sorry. Ed as PM is too higher a price to pay for that.
  • wumperwumper Posts: 35
    This is a most ridiculous article as the Labour party supporters would never allow it to happen. If there was a plot then members of the party would leave in droves leaving them with no income.
    Why oh why do i have to read such drivel

It always amuses me to see the Kippers slide seamlessly from 'Cameron is a traitor because he won't give us a referendum!' to 'Cameron is a traitor because he is going to give us a referendum!'

You cant be amused often as no one has said Cameron is a traitor as far as I can remember

Plenty of people call Carswell and Reckless traitors though, despite being men who left cushy jobs after hearing first hand what Cameron plans to do regarding EU renegotiations
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It's very simple.

If the matter is one devolved to the Scotch parliament then Scotch MPs are excluded from the vote at Westminster.

That is indeed the obvious and common-sense answer.

And it's NOT the one the SNP use in Westminster today.
  • Patrick said:

TSE

There are three flaws in that argument. Firstly it's almost certainly the only chance of a referendum we'll get for a generation; secondly, and more importantly, a Stay In result is near-certain in all circumstances; and thirdly, the 'strategy' (if that's the right word) is based on a fantasy that somehow the lesson of the SDP doesn't need to be learnt, and that a divided Right can actually win an election. That's a poor basis to wreck the UK recovery on.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope · 2 mins2 minutes ago
    Interesting. Labour could seize power in a hung Parliamemt by striking a deal with the SNP after #GE2015, Labour donor John Mills says

Yeah...because that won't increase the level of WLQ at all..
    All of a sudden we see the opinionated anti EU brigade running a mile from the prospect of an EU referendum. And this at a time when there would be something worth voting on, at a time when the EU was changing to an ever closer union where we would have every instinct to vote against.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,277

It always amuses me to see the Kippers slide seamlessly from 'Cameron is a traitor because he won't give us a referendum!' to 'Cameron is a traitor because he is going to give us a referendum!'

And even more seeing them spluttering with laughable indignation when the self evident truth that they are willing collaborators in ushering in a Miliband government is gently pointed out to them.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Labour MPs voted on an English only matter for which they had no responsibility for with their own constituents. They could vote without any fear of reaction from their own constituents.

Except that, oddly, in the case of Gay Marriage, quite the opposite seems to be the case. Some of them voted against precisely because they were scared of the response of their more strident Catholic constituents.

It will be their constituents who will object to having second-class MPs in Westminster, barred from certain votes, and that's why Socrates is right to argue that English Votes for English Laws is uniquely dangerous for the future of the Union.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    wumper said:

This is a most ridiculous article as the Labour party supporters would never allow it to happen. If there was a plot then members of the party would leave in droves leaving them with no income.
    Why oh why do i have to read such drivel

You don't have to. In any case, wild speculation about unlikely outcomes is the order of the day in political bloggin, unless one can find an audience for a particular niche theme, eg, Ed M is always terrible even when he's on course for majority, a la Dan H
    edited October 2014

Keep being amused. Cameron is what he is; a hubristic egotist who is leading the country on the path chosen by the governing elite since 1951. That path, as you know, is to perdition.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Fascinating to read Labour "supporters" panicking after three basically statistical dead-heats from YouGov (leads of 1-2% are well within MoE) yet ignoring yesterday's Populus showing a 6% Labour l.

The

Seems fair.
    f two tory MP's in almost total secrecy I don't see how anyone can objectively say he is performing badly.

Piffle. Farage knows very well that an IN/OUT vote under Cameron, after some phoney reform, would very likely be won by IN. 95% chance.

He wants - like Salmond - to seize the day at the right moment. An EU vote in the early 2020s under a Tory-UKIP Coalition would be much more winnable.

Tory fear and loathing of Farage - shared by many on the left - blinds them to his ovbvious skills and nous. He is a smart operator. He really is like Salmond. He's played a blinder the last five years.
    You mean like Salmond that lost the referendum and possibly ended Scottish independence for a generation ?

Yes I see the comparison. Both ultimately vanquished by Cameron
    Don't be a dick. Salmond's achievement was incredible. Who'd have thought Scotland would come that close to independence - losing by just ten points to NO - five or ten years ago? It was all Salmond's doing. He danced round Cameron. And Cameron got so desperate to win he had to promise the devomax he refused in the first place.

Salmond is a brilliant operator. Cameron is mediocre. That said, Cameron might still win in 2015 because he faces probably the worst Opposition leader in a century of British politics.

Cameron is mediocre... but maybe lucky.
    So Cameron is mediocre. Yet the Scots voted to continue to have Dave as PM.

All those that said Dave would have to resign if Yes won are going to have to live with the flip side. A no victory is a great tribute for Dave.

Patrick said:

TSE

There are three flaws in that argument. Firstly it's almost certainly the only chance of a referendum we'll get for a generation; secondly, and more importantly, a Stay In result is near-certain in all circumstances; and thirdly, the 'strategy' (if that's the right word) is based on a fantasy that somehow the lesson of the SDP doesn't need to be learnt, and that a divided Right can actually win an election. That's a poor basis to wreck the UK recovery on.
    "Firstly it's almost certainly the only chance of a referendum we'll get for a generation"

Absolute nonsense

You just wrote a thread, this thread, saying Ed may well be ousted after months as PM if he wins next year.. its incredible you are making this argument in light of that
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good afternoon, everyone.

The piece has somewhat been overtaken by events, with Miliband being briefed against quite a bit (although I'm uncertain whether or not Gareth remains loyal).

I'm not sure it'd happen. Labour failed to axe Brown, they're failing to axe Miliband now. They're just not very competent. Burnham's overrated, probably because everyone else seems even worse.
    JohnO said:

And even more seeing them spluttering with laughable indignation when the self evident truth that they are willing collaborators in ushering in a Miliband government is gently pointed out to them.
    Miliband and Cameron: two peas in a pod. Kippers like peeling peas.
  • TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014

Interesting. Labour could seize power in a hung Parliamemt by striking a deal with the SNP after #GE2015, Labour donor John Mills says

Suggestions from an obscenely rich Labour bankroller that his party should 'seize' power, doesn't strike one as particularly democratic.

Imagine the kerfuffle here if a Tory backer had come up with that line.
  • isam said:

You just wrote a thread, this thread, saying Ed may well be ousted after months as PM if he wins next year.. its incredible you are making this argument in light of that

Ousted and replaced by Yvette Cooper or Andy Burnham. Not by Nigel Farage.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Plato said:

Thirded.

TGOHF said:

Completely agree. We have this juvenile streak in politics today which brands anything other than a 'liberal' view as being something to be ridiculed or to be angry about. Probably started by 'right-on' comedians but now entered mainstream . Lets kick it out and act grown up
    Thanks. We need to be careful. Otherwise we'll end up with more things like that - for instance, that human 'real-life' slavery exhibition being intimidated into cancellation by protesters (who hadn't seen it) because they thought it was racist.
    MikeK said:

Keep being amused. Cameron is what he is; a hubristic egotist who is leading the country on the path chosen by the governing elite since 1951. That path, as you know, is to perdition.
    A pretty ignorant comment based on nothing more than prejudice and devoid of facts. It just hides what a rabid extremist right winger you are and why you want to see a sane centre party destroyed.
  • ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    dodrade said:

dodrade said:

isam said:

stodge said:

The Guardian wrote this

Seems fair.

An in/out referendum probably cannot be won in 2017 under a Tory government. Cameron will declare a great victory for Britain regardless of negotiations and big business will put the frighteners on people as they did in Scotland. Better wait until a Labour government is forced into giving a referendum or a genuine Eurosceptic becomes Tory leader. A lost referendum in 2017 would probably be a mortal blow for UKIP and any chance of the UK ever leaving the EU.

Possibly.
    Alternatively a mid term referendum with an unpopular Tory government. They say vote YES, protest votes vote NO.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    @Richard Nabavi - agreed, thanks. Sorry I should have caveated my post with what happens if Labour are in government. That possibility must have slipped my mind.
    JohnO said:

Why would anyone look at the conduct in the AV referendum campaign which was by any standard a pretty nasty affair and trust them to deliver a fair vote?

• SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2014

Good afternoon, everyone.

The piece has somewhat been overtaken by events, with Miliband being briefed against quite a bit (although I'm uncertain whether or not Gareth remains loyal).

I can assure you, if Gareth has not received his free owl by May, he'll not be voting for Ed.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

The SNP clearly can distinguish between things that affect Scotland and those that don't as they abstain from any English/Welsh votes

Will this meme never die?

The SNP voted on English tuition fees. They abstain on some votes, but they vote on other things when it suits their purpose
    Barnett consequentials, remember.

That's a pretty spurious argument. Firstly it's very much a second-order effect, but more importantly, spending is set in the Budget and the Autumn Statement. Scottish MPs should vote on those, not on any bills implementing the detail of policy as it applies to England & Wales.
    Point taken, from one viewpoint, but from another, it was a pretty massive financial change, and they wouldn't be changing the Budget unless the vote had happened.

Also - it may be that some of us are forgetting that the issue was not so much the fees for English students, but the pro rata cuts in university grant moneys which most certainly had an immediate effect. This is the statement at the time.

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2010/dec/snp-mps-vote-against-student-fee-hike
  • Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Why would anyone look at the conduct in the AV referendum campaign which was by any standard a pretty nasty affair and trust them to deliver a fair vote?

Why did they try and make the whites angry?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546
    On topic, nope, once he's PM he's PM. Apart from anything else the rules make him hard to shift, unlike the Tory ones which merely require the most unhinged 15% of the parliamentary party to clear their throats.

The time to knife him is if he doesn't get a majority, right before he becomes PM. That's exactly the move Labour insiders and the LibDems pulled on Gordon Brown, and all the same reasons would hold if they actually had the numbers.
    Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

The Tories resorting to ballot-rigging in 2017? That's certainly a novel one.
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @bigjohnowls

'Precisely which bills are ‘English’?'

Foundation hospitals & increased tuition fees (England only) only voted through due to Scottish MP's.
  • The time to knife him is if he doesn't get a majority, right before he becomes PM. That's exactly the move Labour insiders and the LibDems pulled on Gordon Brown, and all the same reasons would hold if they actually had the numbers.

Yes, that's an interesting point. The Steve Webb comments of yesterday make me wonder if it's a point being actively considered. It would be tricky to pull off without a lot of collateral damage, though.
  • JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

They'd have MI5 on their side like they did in the Indyref

Labour MPs voted on an English only matter for which they had no responsibility for with their own constituents. They could vote without any fear of reaction from their own constituents.

Except that, oddly, in the case of Gay Marriage, quite the opposite seems to be the case. Some of them voted against precisely because they were scared of the response of their more strident Catholic constituents.

It will be their constituents who will object to having second-class MPs in Westminster, barred from certain votes, and that's why Socrates is right to argue that English Votes for English Laws is uniquely dangerous for the future of the Union.
    Why should people in Glasgow be interested in what happens in England?
    Why should they be upset that their MP did not vote on an issue which did not not affect them?
    ''barred from certain laws'? What on earth is that garbage comment about. Barred from voting on English only matters in the same way that English MPs are barred from voting on Scottish only matters.
    There is a reek of prejudice and bias all over your remarks. its hardly sur[prising the labour lead has slumped.

• volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I urge a suspension of judgement from those engaging in Milibashing until the TV debates.Why won't Cameron agree to them?
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Who said anything about Farage?

If you think a weak Labour government with a new leader and a strong UKIP taking votes from it has zero chance of offering an EU referendum for a generation, then we will have to agree to disagree

All those that said Dave would have to resign if Yes won are going to have to live with the flip side. A no victory is a great tribute for Dave.

No way. The No victory, such as it was, owed absolutely nothing to him. The only thing Dave contributed was a sense of panic.
    I see that the PB Tories are getting pretty twitchy and spiteful today. Can it be that in less than 48 hours, two important bi-elections start have anything to do with it?

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

How crass of me to forget that. Jonathan may have a point after all.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

So? Tories and LDs imposing control over Scotland by striking a deal and seizing power? Goose and gander?

More importantly, I find Mr Hope's notion extraordinary, given SLAB's attitude to the SNP (remember the Bain Principle). That really would mean London Labour imposing a huge degree of control over SLAB, for whom that would seem the ultimate betrayal. I am almost inclined to think that SLAB - or a large chunk of it - would rather split off than come to Mr Miliband's heel. Which would defeat the aim.

I read about that via a piece from David Aaronovitch - I was WTF? It reminded me of the play a load of Sikhs objected to and they'd not seen it either.

AFAIC, if you don't want to see it, don't see it. The Banning Brigade has the bit between its teeth far too often for me.

Plato said:

Thirded.

TGOHF said:

Completely agree. We have this juvenile streak in politics today which brands anything other than a 'liberal' view as being something to be ridiculed or to be angry about. Probably started by 'right-on' comedians but now entered mainstream . Lets kick it out and act grown up
    Thanks. We need to be careful. Otherwise we'll end up with more things like that - for instance, that human 'real-life' slavery exhibition being intimidated into cancellation by protesters (who hadn't seen it) because they thought it was racist.
  • Jonathan said:

No way. The No victory, such as it was, owed absolutely nothing to him. The only thing Dave contributed was a sense of panic.
    If he was going to be responsible for defeat then you're going to have to say he was responsible for victory. Cameron henceforth is known as Malleus Salmondtorum
  • isam said:

If you think a weak Labour government with a new leader and a strong UKIP taking votes from it has zero chance of offering an EU referendum for a generation, then we will have to agree to disagree

Why should they? They would be maintained in power precisely by UKIP squabbling with the Tories, defectors defecting, all the usual stuff. The last thing they'd want to do is interrupt the fight going on in the opposite corner of the room whilst they get on with enjoying power.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited October 2014
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

How else do you think us PB Tories managed to get our Indyref predictions so close to the actual result unlike the on ground Nats.

Patrick said:

TSE

Correct. I for one an grateful that you are continually willing to make the points to a group of people who are deaf to reason.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited October 2014
    Carnyx said:

So? Tories and LDs imposing control over Scotland by striking a deal and seizing power? Goose and gander?
    Except the areas the Tories and Lib Dems are imposing control over are non-devolved UK-wide issues. An SNP-Labour government would be imposing control over English-only issues despite having a minority in England.

You Scots don't get to have one-way control over England any more. You've wanted devolved status. Now you've got it, so you don't get to whinge when England demands the same.

Jonathan said:

If he was going to be responsible for defeat then you're going to have to say he was responsible for victory.
    Nope. Pure revisionism. Doubt Dave secured a single vote for the UK, but a great many against. If any Tory deserve credit, it is the hugely impressive Ruth Davidson.

• Patrick said:

TSE

No shit Sherlock. But we face the very real and very horrifying prospect of a weak EICIPM administration taking the UK in all sorts of Hollandish directions. Buckle up! (Lord - can we really, really be heading for another Labour government? WTF is wrong with 1/3 of the country?).
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    How many times this year has Nigel Farage predicted the demise of either David Cameron or Ed Miliband? If only shadsy had run a book on this at the start of the year.

The time to knife him is if he doesn't get a majority, right before he becomes PM. That's exactly the move Labour insiders and the LibDems pulled on Gordon Brown, and all the same reasons would hold if they actually had the numbers.

Yes, that's an interesting point. The Steve Webb comments of yesterday make me wonder if it's a point being actively considered. It would be tricky to pull off without a lot of collateral damage, though.
    No election for five years, they can do what they like.

They interesting thing about this possibility from the LibDem point of view is that they get to play Labour factions off against each other. If they back Ed Miliband he gets to be PM, if they work with rivals his career is over.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Why should people in Glasgow be interested in what happens in England?
    Why should they be upset that their MP did not vote on an issue which did not not affect them?
    ''barred from certain laws'? What on earth is that garbage comment about. Barred from voting on English only matters in the same way that English MPs are barred from voting on Scottish only matters.
    There is a reek of prejudice and bias all over your remarks. its hardly sur[prising the labour lead has slumped.
    Why else did Labour MPs representing Catholic areas vote against the law in England? It was because their constituents were interested.

I'm not saying that is democratically justified, I was just pointing out what I thought was an interesting contradiction in your post. Quite what it has to do with the Labour poll lead is baffling.
    edited October 2014

isam said:

Why should they? They would be maintained in power precisely by UKIP squabbling with the Tories, defectors defecting, all the usual stuff. The last thing they'd want to do is interrupt the fight going on in the opposite corner of the room whilst they get on with enjoying power.
    Sorry?

"Enjoying" power so much that they are getting rid of their own PM according to your theory..

The "defectors" are Tories, don't forget.. Tories who know the inner workings of the party better than you and I

The turnout bet is now 8/11 btw, are you on?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I know you are just being contrary for the lolz but the third largest city in the country doesn't want to be part of the country. If you think that's an awesome epitaph for a Prime Minister of a country then you are easily pleased.
    edited October 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

Crazy thinking.

You're quite deluded if you think Labour would go for a referendum.

isam said:

Patrick said:

TSE

"Firstly it's almost certainly the only chance of a referendum we'll get for a generation"

Absolute nonsense

All three of his points are completely wrong. On one, if the Tories lose because of a big UKIP vote, they will almost certainly swing right on EU issues and give us a referendum in their next manifesto, and there's a fair chance Labour will too. On two, referendums in Denmark, France and Holland have shown eurosceptics can win debates despite the entire establishment being in favour - and we're starting from a stronger polling position. On three, if a Lib-Lab government brings in PR then it's quite possible a UKIP-Tory coalition could win an election. Even if they don't, an electoral non-compete alliance could also see the right win.
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

Astonishing. ISIS in Kobane: the Tweetable Terror.

Aa well as not fighting themselves, the Turks are preventing thousands of Kurds from crossing the border into Kobane to help the Kurdish fighters.

Even without the Turks, the Kurds could probably turn the town into a giant killing field for ISIS (and themselves).

Look at this intense footage, from ISIS, of their soldier-rapists streetfighting in Kobane. The Kurds are not giving in easily.

http://tinyurl.com/ls4l637

I don't think I have ever experienced anything - from the safety of Primrose Hill borders - as vicariously compelling yet unnerving as the whole ISIS phenomenon. The internet and social media means you can follow the war and the atrocities second by second, and see film as it is shot, there and then.

Very hard to look away. Yet very hard to watch.
    Reminds me actions in the town of Suez towards the end of the Yom Kippor War.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Socrates, quite right on the English matter.

Labour could, by such a hypothetical move, win power in 2015, but it might very well prove Pyrrhic (except, of course, that Pyrrhus was a competent general known for being personally loyal to his friends and family).
    SeanT said:

@skymarkwhite 2m2 minutes ago
    4 men arrested by counter terror police in London, one was tasered during arrest. All 4 being questioned re Islamist related terrorism

ISIS in England.

You're surprised?

The flag was flying in Tower Hamlets two months ago
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MikeK said:

I see that the PB Tories are getting pretty twitchy and spiteful today. Can it be that in less than 48 hours, two important bi-elections start have anything to do with it?

Well there is a lot of concern that a large number of misguided people are going to give succour to a party that will help Red into No 10.

edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

4 men arrested by counter terror police in London, one was tasered during arrest. All 4 being questioned re Islamist related terrorism

ISIS in England.

Err, so the previous terrorists were ISIS too were they?

Best you stay barricaded in your Camden bedsit, lest they pick you off in Inverness Street or Parkway.
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

How many times this year has Nigel Farage predicted the demise of either David Cameron or Ed Miliband? If only shadsy had run a book on this at the start of the year.

Probably about 500 times less on each than smart arse PB commentators

isam said:

Except a big part of the Labour vote are people that are only backing them as a protest to the Tories, and will become massively disillusioned with them in power. Once they lose faith in Labour, they're hardly going to go back to Coalition parties, but UKIP will be waiting in the wings to sweep them up. That movement will trigger panic in Labour. As much as they want to win by getting big majorities among students and ethnic minorities, they can't afford to lose the white working class.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,357
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

ISIS in England.

And now here on the BBC, we go for a quiet friendly chat with former bookshop owner Moazzam Begg....
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

How else do you think us PB Tories managed to get our Indyref predictions so close to the actual result unlike the on ground Nats.
    JackW was miles out wasnt he?

Have you solved the WLQ in the last 2 hrs?

Apparently its very difficult.
    Forgive my dementia here - what does EICIPM stand for?
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

TSE

No shit Sherlock. But we face the very real and very horrifying prospect of a weak EICIPM administration taking the UK in all sorts of Hollandish directions. Buckle up! (Lord - can we really, really be heading for another Labour government? WTF is wrong with 1/3 of the country?).

isam said:

isam said:

Crazy thinking.

Sorry , I was actually thinking if they had a quick GE with a new leader because of a minority government.. if they just sack Ed three months into a Labour majority (prob about 10,000/1) then of course they wont offer one
  • Alistair said:

I know you are just being contrary for the lolz but the third largest city in the country doesn't want to be part of the country. If you think that's an awesome epitaph for a Prime Minister of a country then you are easily pleased.
    I'm pleased that by a majority 10% on an 80% plus turnout the Scots wanted to remain part of the UK.

I'm pleased that Edinburgh the heart of Scotland overwhelmingly voted No.
    isam said:

antifrank said:

I understand that Nigel Farage's touch cures scrofula as well.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

All three of his points are completely wrong. On one, if the Tories lose because of a big UKIP vote, they will almost certainly swing right on EU issues and give us a referendum in their next manifesto, and there's a fair chance Labour will too. On two, referendums in Denmark, France and Holland have shown eurosceptics can win debates despite the entire establishment being in favour - and we're starting from a stronger polling position. On three, if a Lib-Lab government brings in PR then it's quite possible a UKIP-Tory coalition could win an election. Even if they don't, an electoral non-compete alliance could also see the right win.

Err, there will be a referendum commitment in the 2015 manifesto. Why on earth go through a whole series of increasingly fantastical hypothetical steps to get a referendum in the distant future which you can have one in 2017?

Do you want a referendum or not? If you're so sure it could be won, why in heaven's name vote anything other than Conservative? You might even get support for a No from people like myself, once renegotiation has been tried, provided a sane Out case (not based on fantasy à la Salmond) has been put together
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2014
    "Ed is crap is PM" - it's a tag line for Mr Owl's nightly UNS seat projection.
    Plato said:

Forgive my dementia here - what does EICIPM stand for?

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

TSE

isam said:

isam said:

Crazy thinking.

Jon Cruddas, who writes the policy, and Ed Balls are in favour of one.

So is Len McCluskey

So, why deluded?
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

ISIS in England.

Suspected ISIS in England. Wait and see if it pans out, sometimes they just shoot a random Brazilian.
    Well I see Ed is still crap and EV4EL is still a disaster for him.

On a brighter note

The good news is Maccabi Petach Tikvaood have just taken the lead i am laying my bet now
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Ed Miliband needs something or other, a sex scandal perhaps.
    Pulpstar said:

Well if he keeps wandering around Hampstead Heath talking with strangers, that should sort itself out without too much extra effort.
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Oh fo sho!

(wtf?)
    Pulpstar said:

ARE YOU VOLUNTEERING?
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Oh fo sho!

(wtf?)
    I tell you isam, who the gods want dead, they first make mad.
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Oh fo sho!

(wtf?)
    You need to lighten up a little when anything that might be construed as criticism of Nigel Farage is made.

Anyway, are there any other sorts of commentators on PB other than smart arse ones?
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited October 2014
    George Osborne is the public's favourite politician

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-osborne-is-the-publics-favourite-politician--with-a-score-of-zero-9779764.html

This post was sponsored by NewsSense™
    Sorry Pulpstar caps lock still on in case there is an EICIPM moment!!!
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

JackW was miles out wasnt he?

Have you solved the WLQ in the last 2 hrs?

Apparently its very difficult.
    The simplest way to solve the WLQ and EV4EL is have a directly elected Dictator.

My solution has real élan.
This discussion has been closed.