Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As long as we see polling like this it increases the chance

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As long as we see polling like this it increases the chances of tactical voting against UKIP

Whilst the polling on this question has improved slightly for UKIP since May, it still represents a problem for the party. I’ve noted in the past that in politics, sometimes perceptions matter more than the facts, and unfortunately they are perceived as the party of fruit cakes and loonies and closet racists mostly.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Lol
  • Options
    LDs are such a bunch of haters.

Keep on trucking Kippers!!!
  • Options
    I'd like to meet the 2% of Kippers who think their party is racist
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    There was some evidence of an increased level of 2010 Lib Dems voting for Conservatives in the Rochester and Strood poll but not so many 2010 Labour at this stage..
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Do you think the Conservative Party is a racist party?
    Do you think the Labour Party is a racist party?
    Do you think the LD Party is a racist party?

If you want to compare attitudes to parties, you need comparable data.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I would tactically vote for UKIP if I thought it would help stop the most evil party in the UK - the Greens
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

Is it not 9%? I think the 2% is the share who don't know.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

You'll find them on the comments section of the telegraph or the guido Fawkes site advocating final solutions for anyone who isn't a facsimile of them.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    (On the previous thread I've thanked all those who replied to my question)

Is it me, or do the UKIP bars look like an extended middle finger?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is it not 9%? I think the 2% is the share who don't know.
    It's the first graph you need to look at. The second graph is to do with UKIP candidate.

9% is the number of Kippers who think their candidates are more likely to hold racist/offensive views.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    More likelier? Less likelier?
  • Options

Do you think the Conservative Party is a racist party?
    Do you think the Labour Party is a racist party?
    Do you think the LD Party is a racist party?

If you want to compare attitudes to parties, you need comparable data.

My undergraduate study of the social sciences confirms that this is valid.

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    That's because they are all fruit cakes, loonies and closet racists.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Hmm. From the DT RSS feed
    Vince Cable says British firms are 'struggling' to compete with international rivals on price because of carbon taxes
  • Options
    antifrank said:

That's a typo on my part, will shortly be fixed
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    You're right that this hurts UKIP. This is very unfortunate, as the most racist party is Labour, which will ignore racial dimensions of mass crime depending on which ethnic group committed them.
  • Options
    The party is happy to retain in its ranks at a senior level someone who casually refers to ting tongs. It may or may not be a racist party but it certainly is a party that doesn't care that much about shaking off that image.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Wonder how many will vote for UKIP BECAUSE it is a racist party?

Racism, or rather "racism", is considered the great thought crime among the great and the good. I am not sure the great unwashed get so agitated about it.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

They're probably the 2% of the party that is racist themselves.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What does "offensive views" mean? Offensive to whom?
  • Options
    Will this be the last Sunil on Sunday ELBOW to show a Lab lead?

9 polls with fieldwork end-dates 28th Sep to 4th Oct, total weighted sample size 11,610:

Lab 35.6% (-0.5)
    Con 32.7% (+1.0)
    UKIP 14.4% (-0.3)
    LD 7.4% (+0.1)

Lab lead 2.9% (-1.5%)
  • Options

I would tactically vote for UKIP if I thought it would help stop the most evil party in the UK - the Greens

Can you please explain how you arrived at the vote shares for the Rochester poll, excluding 2010 'did not vote' on the previous thread.

When I do it, I get:

Ukip (281-62) 36%
    Con (216-22) 32%
    Lab (177-6) 28%

There are 91 'did not vote': total voters (697-91)

p.8, table 5
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Confidential-Rochester-and-Strood-Constituency-Poll-Weighted_Oct03.pdf
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited October 2014
    antifrank said:

Grammar ? What grammar ?
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

That's because they are all fruit cakes, loonies and closet racists.

That's got a nice ring to it - some politician should try and slip that phrase in somewhere.

Although my undergraduate study of philosophy classes this as an Ad Hominem attack.

• Options

Establishment LibDems really hate Greens.

Establishment Tories really hate UKIP.

If there was an anti-establishment leftist party it would really be hated by Establishment Labour.

The common theme being the establishment hates anything that threatens change.
  • Options

Any stats for the other parties being racist?
  • Options
    I'm so embarrassed with my likelier gaffe.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Plato said:

Hmm. From the DT RSS feed

Vince Cable says British firms are 'struggling' to compete with international rivals on price because of carbon taxes

Does that mean the LDs will stop bleating on about climate change?
    Sadly, probably not.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited October 2014
    Eagle

"I'd like to meet the 2% of Kippers who think their party is racist"

Look for ones without their fingers crossed
  • Options

Any stats for the other parties being racist?
    Nope, but we can use the second question as a proxy.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

I think they might have been supporters of another party until recently
  • Options

Exile to Guido!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Eagle

"I'd like to meet the 2% of Kippers who think their party is racist"

Look for one without their fingers crossed

Well when I say meet....
  • Options

I thought you were a lawyer.

Can't crap grammar completely change the meaning of a contract ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    antifrank said:

The party is happy to retain in its ranks at a senior level someone who casually refers to ting tongs. It may or may not be a racist party but it certainly is a party that doesn't care that much about shaking off that image.

Referring to a character from Little Britain seems a very minor issue to me.
  • Options

I thought you were a lawyer.

Can't crap grammar completely change the meaning of a contract ?
    It can, that's why I had so many proof checkers.

My major problem has been leaving out words, which totally feck things up.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Ting Tong was a character in the lefty BBC's "Little Britain"!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The LD party is happy to retain in its ranks councillors who aided a convicted rapist in acquiring a taxi cab licence.

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/politics/200-sign-petition-calling-for-resignations-over-milton-keynes-rapist-taxi-driver-scandal-1-6287499

That seems like a serious matter. Shouldn't the LDs expel people like that?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited October 2014
    BJ can you kindly refrain in future from posting the Strictly result in advance. It wasn't a betting tip, so even putting 'Spoiler' didn't stop me catching it whilst scrolling through which many of us do on here.

It isn't clever, and it isn't funny.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I took my car to be valeted today and three Romanians did the work.

EU migrants in the Welsh valleys.

And my little boy is in class with a Lithunian girl. Stunningly pretty she is.

Eastern European immigration us changing the landscape even in deepest, darkest Wales
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

BJ can you kindly refrain in future from posting the Strictly result in advance. It wasn't a betting tip, so even putting 'Spoiler' didn't stop me catching it whilst scrolling through which many of us do on here.

It isn't clever, and it isn't funny.

For the avoidance of doubt this is to: bigjohnowls
  • Options
    The Kippers on here are queuing up to prove my point.
  • Options

Exile to Guido!
    No conhome is more appropriate.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Ting Tong was a character in the lefty BBC's "Little Britain". They popularised the name.
  • Options
    There was a big piece in the Sunday Times property section bewailing a possible 'mansion tax'.

Including the usual complaints of "I bought my house for only £400k and now I'll get taxed through no fault of my own".

That said people have made a seven figure capital gain through no effort of their own is never mentioned.
  • Options
    Interestingly the Rochester poll also did an Issues index which came out like this:

1st Immigration 28.7%
    2nd Economy 12.8%
    3rd Health 9%
    4th Cost Of Living 7%
    5th The EU 6.8%
    6th Education 6.1%
    7th Poverty 3.4%
    8th Welfare 3.3%
    9th Housing 1.6%
    Other 21,4%

Good luck to the Tories and Labour trying to defend their records on Immigration.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Confidential-Rochester-and-Strood-Constituency-Poll-Weighted_Oct03.pdf

Its a pity so many parties so often conflate the issues and immigration and race because ironically its not UKIP who demand that migrants from the African, Asian and American continents have a good standard of English whilst allowing entry to Europeans who do not speak a word of the language without blinking an eyelid.
  • Options
    If I felt UKIP were a racist party, I wouldn't have voted for them at the Euros back in May!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Take it we all have seen this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11142076/Coalition-with-Ed-Miliband-would-be-enormously-damaging-for-Liberal-Democrats-minister-warns.html

"The Liberal Democrats must not go into coalition with Labour even if they win more seats after the general election because the association with Ed Miliband would be so “damaging” for the party, a minister has warned."
  • Options

Have you overtaken tim in the number of comments ?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
    As I said in the last thread. Just because 68% of labour supporters and 59% of conservative supporters think UKIP more likely to have candidates with racist or offensive views than other political parties; that dosent mean it will hinder their electoral chances.

What that dosent say is how many of that 68%, 59% of them either:

* Think they are a probably a bit racist but are not greatly bothered as they care more about the economy/immigration/national sovereignty/tax etc.

* Think they are a bit racist but not bothered unless they are overtly racist. (ie being rude about foreigners when in the pub with friends is one thing, bricks through windows and ostracising a relation for marrying someone black is another).

* Think they are a racist party but secretly rather approve of this providing they keep immigration down.

* Think they are not racist enough but better than the other three sets of liberal bigots

While racism is the sin against the holy ghost for the elite, many other people are not particularly exercised by it as an issue unless it involves nastiness/rudeness to invididual people or the risk of the state behaving like franco's Spain or apartheid South Africa, neither of which are remotely likely even if UKIPs wilder members formed a majority in parliament.

This post is surely further evidence of (a) why the Libdems hate them so much (81% and they probably all feel quite strongly about it) and (b) why our elite just don't get it.

• Options

Pass. Possibly

That said, I shall be taking a break from PB for most of this month.

Holiday end of the month, and plus editing PB takes a lot of you, especially during these hectic times.
  • Options

There was a big piece in the Sunday Times property section bewailing a possible 'mansion tax'.

Including the usual complaints of "I bought my house for only £400k and now I'll get taxed through no fault of my own".

That said people have made a seven figure capital gain through no effort of their own is never mentioned.

Nor is the fact that they have only made a seven figure capital gain if they sell it, otherwise it's just a house that they live in.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Take it we all have seen this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11142076/Coalition-with-Ed-Miliband-would-be-enormously-damaging-for-Liberal-Democrats-minister-warns.html

"The Liberal Democrats must not go into coalition with Labour even if they win more seats after the general election because the association with Ed Miliband would be so “damaging” for the party, a minister has warned."

And association with the Tories hasn't hurt the LDs?
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    Worth noting that the Labour candidate is of south Asian heritage (I think).

I guess the Tories would pick an English Rose type, if they could find one. Failing that, they could go with the Allo Allo guy again I suppose, assuming he hasn't got any work on at the moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Fenster said:

Eastern European immigration us changing the landscape even in deepest, darkest Wales

It is our 29th wedding anniversary today and we were in a very fine hotel in deepest Perthshire last night to celebrate. The food was truly exceptional but none of the staff were Scottish. A wide mix of eastern Europeans and a Zimbabwean.

Are our children so bedazzled with all the certificates, diplomas and other valueless qualifications that we give them that they can't see jobs right on their doorstep? It is disappointing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

It is our 29th wedding anniversary today and we were in a very fine hotel in deepest Perthshire to celebrate.
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

It is our 29th wedding anniversary today and we were in a very fine hotel in deepest Perthshire last night to celebrate. The food was truly exceptional but none of the staff were Scottish. A wide mix of eastern Europeans and a Zimbabwean.

Are our children so bedazzled with all the certificates, diplomas and other valueless qualifications that we give them that they can't see jobs right on their doorstep? It is disappointing.
    If you want to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary, is posting on PB during your 29th the best way to go?
  • Options

Its a pity so many parties so often conflate the issues and immigration and race because ironically its not UKIP who demand that migrants from the African, Asian and American continents have a good standard of English whilst allowing entry to Europeans who do not speak a word of the language without blinking an eyelid.

The increasing numbers of Eastern European Roma will also affect thoughts on immigration in that they differ significantly from the 'Poles'.

The 'Poles' live similarly to local British people - they go to work in the morning, come home in the evening, have their dinner, watch TV then go to bed.

With the Roma you instead get a lot of loitering around the streets day and night. Which makes them both much more visible to local people and much more concerning.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ed is more toxic than Tories.

See Scottish sub-samples...
  • Options
    [Are our children so bedazzled with all the certificates, diplomas and other valueless qualifications that we give them that they can't see jobs right on their doorstep?]

Hurrah for low skill, low prestige, low wage jobs! We should have some sort of system where we all have one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

UKIP are ethnocentric, not racist. A significant difference.

Not if you are on the left (unless you are ethnocentric to the non indigenous population in which case it's ok)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

If you want to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary, is posting on PB during your 29th the best way to go?
    Well my wife has gone off to see some chick flick with my daughter so I have a pass now.

Thanks Sunil. I am a very lucky man.
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Holiday end of the month, and plus editing PB takes a lot of you, especially during these hectic times.
    I should think its almost a full time job. Takes long enough just reading the comments!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    To compare attitudes to parties, ComRes' is a better example.

"Please indicate whether you have a favourable or unfavourable view of each of the following."

Green Party: +27% / -29% (-2)
    Labour Party: +30% / -43% (-13)
    UKIP: +27% / -43% (-16)
    The EU: +23% / -45% (-22)
    Conservative Party: +25% / -48% (-23)

The ugly sister there is the Conservatives. (There was no LD Party question.)

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/IoS_SM_Political_Poll_28th_September_2014_8723.pdf

EDIT
    The previous month included the LDs

Lib Dems: +13% / -53% (-40)

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/SM_IoS_Political_Poll_24th_August_2014_12371.pdf
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited October 2014
    Scott_P said:

Pre-2010 election, the LDs hit the dizzy heights of 30+ in the polls. Now they are in single-digits...
  • Options

Pre-2010 election, the LDs hit the dizzy heights of 30+ in the polls. Now they are in single-digits...

And they don't want to lose those...
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Scott_P said:

And the excitable YouGov polling panel had the biggest exaggerations not supported by other pollsters.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Fenster said:

It will be my 33rd anniversary next month, however we would have split up years ago but neither of us wanted the kids!
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

I should think its almost a full time job. Takes long enough just reading the comments!
    Is more I'm at the mercy of events.

Take last Saturday, I wanted a quiet Saturday afternoon, what happens, Mark Reckless defects, and Brooks Newmark's bizarre love triangle with todger and mobile phone happen.

Last Wednesday really peed me off, and that was Farage's fault.

I'm at the cinema, at 5pm, with their big defection news scheduled for then.
  • Options
    There's a lot of truth in that. I've met quite a lot of C2 DE people recently through voluntary work who have expressed concerns about immigration and there's definitely an undercurrent of *bloody foreigners* in their language. And a conspicuous kicking back against PCness.

It's almost as if they're being deliberately provocative - and want to take a bit of stand.

I can see many of them thinking that if Kippers were of the same views - well then they're Like Me. As you say, they wouldn't approve of name calling or being aggressive - but they want what they feel is their country back/to stop apologising for being British.

This group also includes a chunk of people who work in client contact in social services. I was surprised how unPC they were about how they felt. I was left with the overwhelming impression that they're sick of the piss-taking they deal with as part of their day jobs.

An interesting bit of anecdata from my POV.

As I said in the last thread. Just because 68% of labour supporters and 59% of conservative supporters think UKIP more likely to have candidates with racist or offensive views than other political parties; that dosent mean it will hinder their electoral chances.

* Think they are a probably a bit racist but are not greatly bothered as they care more about the economy/immigration/national sovereignty/tax etc.

* Think they are a bit racist but not bothered unless they are overtly racist. (ie being rude about foreigners when in the pub with friends is one thing, bricks through windows and ostracising a relation for marrying someone black is another).

* Think they are a racist party but secretly rather approve of this providing they keep immigration down.

* Think they are not racist enough but better than the other three sets of liberal bigots

While racism is the sin against the holy ghost for the elite, many other people are not particularly exercised by it as an issue unless it involves nastiness/rudeness to invididual people or the risk of the state behaving like franco's Spain or apartheid South Africa, neither of which are remotely likely even if UKIPs wilder members formed a majority in parliament.

This post is surely further evidence of (a) why the Libdems hate them so much (81% and they probably all feel quite strongly about it) and (b) why our elite just don't get it.

• Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I wrote this earlier during the day and on the last thread.......

It's getting pretty obvious that nearly every second thread presented by TSE is in someway anti UKIP or biased against UKIP. I think that this is a deliberate policy cooked up by TSE to keep his and Mikes end up against the coming deluge.

I don't mind myself but it's getting bloody boring.

.........not only was I right, but TSE continues his slanted threads on UKIP. He must really fear UKIP may eventually swamp the Tories that he so supports.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Eagles, don't forsake us entirely.

Whilst the site's collective knowledge of classical history would be improved (markedly) by your absence, the terrible 1980s pop references would suffer a dramatic decline.
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
    Heh.

Don't worry, if more polls show the Tories ahead, I'll be back.

Or if any more thrice cursed, traitorous pig dogs defect and join UKIP, I'll be back to denounce them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    antifrank said:

Yet, you've expressed a readiness to vote for a party that contains members (some prominent) who've done and said far more outrageous things than any Kipper has.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It's getting pretty obvious that nearly every second thread presented by TSE is in someway anti UKIP or biased against UKIP. I think that this is a deliberate policy cooked up by TSE to keep his and Mikes end up against the coming deluge.

.........not only was I right, but TSE continues his slanted threads on UKIP. He must really fear UKIP may eventually swamp the Tories that he so supports.

And I replied on the last thread

To the deluded Kippers screaming victimisation.

I go where the polling and betting angle takes me.

Clearly you have reading and comprehension issues otherwise you may have missed my threads from just this week which

1) Pointed out backing UKIP in Rochester and Stroud was value which has turned out to be a profitable tip

2) A thread that criticised the Tories for attacking Mark Reckless/Kippers

Didn't see you complaining then.

• Options
    Of course I'm not scientific about it - and certainly I'm not overly caring about its accuracy - the phrase did just pop in my head - and it's a total PB cliché and even the lurkers will hate me for it.

But I think we just hit Peak Plato!!!!!
  • Options

Nor is the fact that they have only made a seven figure capital gain if they sell it, otherwise it's just a house that they live in.
    Isn't the whole idea behind 'my property is my pension' concept that you DO sell your house and move somewhere smaller (and you have no need of a large house after the children have grown up and left) thus providing you with a tax free capital lump sum.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JBriskin
    A platonic climax?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

I thought you'd flounced off?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

There's a lot of truth in that. I've met quite a lot of C2 DE people recently through voluntary work

Well done you for volunteering.

(Note to self: volunteer for something!)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,128
    edited October 2014
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Did you ask how much those jobs paid ?

And then compare it with how much local house prices are ?
  • Options
    Mr Briskin would need to do a great deal better than once a night.
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    A platonic climax?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Blueberry said:

Worth noting that the Labour candidate is of south Asian heritage (I think).

I guess the Tories would pick an English Rose type, if they could find one. Failing that, they could go with the Allo Allo guy again I suppose, assuming he hasn't got any work on at the moment.

It seems easier to get off a bus from Warsaw and get a job in a west end hotel, than to get off a bus from Tottenham and do the same.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, don't forsake us entirely.

Whilst the site's collective knowledge of classical history would be improved (markedly) by your absence, the terrible 1980s pop references would suffer a dramatic decline.

Don't worry, I'll be here, just posting less.

I need a few weeks not thinking about politics.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Plato was POTY one year.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    A platonic climax?

It was quite something.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

JBriskin said:

Plato was POTY one year.
    I voted Tim!!!

• Options
    Scott_P said:

JBriskin said:

Plato was POTY one year.
    Sucks - I'd forgotten that!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Note to self: OGH has uncovered our plans to enslave the human race, have him eliminated.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. T, worth mentioning some on the right (including on here) are also against bombing ISIS, on the grounds the war has no readily apparent endgame.

ISIS are so vile, abhorrent and dangerous we've got to do what we can to stop them. Diplomacy matters more than the military, for us, but if bombing ISIS helps the Kurds and Iraqi Government then bomb we should.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Another Guardianista says "we mustn't bomb ISIS coz blah" yet offers no serious alternative.

Everyone agrees we should arm the Kurds (if Turkey lets us) but that won't win the war. Iraq is about to fall. Baghdad is now in ISIS artillery range. ISIS are sweeping up to the Turkish border. Meanwhile, the useful idiots of the Left march on.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/05/isis-islamic-state-bombing

Wouldn't the easiest thing be to give Assad his chemical weapons back ?

Anyway I very much doubt that ISIS will capture Baghdad, its too big and majority Shia now.

Still events in the region do suggest that Qatar might not be the best place to hold a FIFA World Cup.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

If I felt UKIP were a racist party, I wouldn't have voted for them at the Euros back in May!

Are you considering supporting them at the general election?
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
    Relax, Don't do it

When two tribes go to war, money's all that you can score!
  • Options
    I was reminded of something from Truman earlier today - about the Soviets - but it works for ISIS and their cronies
    It is now clear that we are now facing an implacable enemy whose avowed objective is world domination... there are no rules in such a game. Hitherto acceptable norms of human conduct do not apply. If the US is to survive, it must be more clever, more sophisticated and more effective means that those used against us
    SeanT said:

Another Guardianista says "we mustn't bomb ISIS coz blah" yet offers no serious alternative.

Everyone agrees we should arm the Kurds (if Turkey lets us) but that won't win the war. Iraq is about to fall. Baghdad is now in ISIS artillery range. ISIS are sweeping up to the Turkish border. Meanwhile, the useful idiots of the Left march on.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/05/isis-islamic-state-bombing

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited October 2014
    DavidL said:

Fenster said:

Happy anniversary. 10 years for me next year, gone quick.
    I don't really have a view on immigration, I'm not at all affected by it. I tend to like everybody by default, regardless of where they are from (although I have experienced a few dodgy moments with Somalians in Cardiff. They are very territorial and from anecdote it appears a lot of non-Somalians have had issues with them), I'm typically dopey, friendly Welsh in that respect. Chris Mullin summed up immigration and 'sending them 'ome' best for me. His diaries showed that it is very easy and simplistic to be anti-immigration, particularly against illegal immigrants. But not so easy when you are the one sending a working mam and dad and their crying children back to some hellhole in Africa.
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
    Relax, Don't do it

Just Can't Get Enough!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Are you considering supporting them at the general election?
    Possibly.
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
    Relax, Don't do it

Just Can't Get Enough!
    You've done too much, far too young...
  • Options

Pass. Possibly

Don't leave me this way!
    Relax, Don't do it

Just Can't Get Enough!
    You've done too much, far too young...
    I should be so lucky!
This discussion has been closed.