Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Dave’s big speech begins – Rumour has it the third defec

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Dave’s big speech begins – Rumour has it the third defection is expected at 5pm

As Cameron's big speech, rumours emerge of a 3rd MP defecting at 5pm

http://t.co/KV1CuwLK9T … pic.twitter.com/naCD1zapXY

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    First!
  • Options
    Tom Bradby: His reference to a D Day vet he met possibly a safer bet than Ed M and Gareth in the park.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Tom Bradby: His reference to a D Day vet he met possibly a safer bet than Ed M and Gareth in the park.

This, Ed.

Do you now see how idiotic your speech was last week?

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    No wealth without work?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014
    I can tell you one thing 100% for sure. UKIP's puerile and vindictive antics guarantee that Farage won't be in any debates. That may be what they want, of course.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Dave needs a new speechwriter. This is just noise.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Cut the basic rate to 19% and the higher rate to 39%. Policies that will win over lower paid and middle income people. Time to win the election.

The top rate of tax only affects the top 15-20% of earners.

Cutting it does nothing for "middle-income" people unless middle income has now been redefined to mean highest earners in the country.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I can tell you one thing 100% for sure. UKIP's puerile and vindictive antics guarantee that Farage won't be in any debates. That may be what they want, of course.

Puerile and vindictive? I know that the Tories havent attracted any defecting MPs recently so may not be up-to-speed about how to respond but show me which party ever has refused one?

• Options
    Is it too soon to breathlessly declare the speech a triumph? (I'm not watching it so need guidance on this.)
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Death by a thousand cuts.

Sweet irony.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Is it too soon to breathlessly declare the speech a triumph? (I'm not watching it so need guidance on this.)

David Cameron: Germany

Ed Miliband = Ireland
  • Options
    Neil said:

Toby Helm @tobyhelm
    Ed Miliband speech makes Cameron's look so polished. Labour will be hating the slickness of this performance.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

So that's how you'll try to spin Cameron's cowardice in debating Farage. It's a novel excuse, but I don't think it will convince many.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Neil, nothing too noteworthy (perhaps excepting reaffirming English votes for English laws).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Cut the basic rate to 19% and the higher rate to 39%. Policies that will win over lower paid and middle income people. Time to win the election.

Cutting it does nothing for "middle-income" people unless middle income has now been redefined to mean highest earners in the country.
    Teachers, firefighters, nurses, policemen. All of these professions include a significant number of higher rate payers. There are millions of people who have been dragged in over the last 10 years helping them would go a long way to winning the election.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Puerile and vindictive? I know that the Tories havent attracted any defecting MPs recently so may not be up-to-speed about how to respond but show me which party ever has refused one?

I was referring to trying to disrupt the Conference. It has been a convention for decades that parties don't do that (and quite rightly so, democracy is not helped by trying to drown out any party laying out its platform for the election). Remember the flak Gordon Brown got when it looked as though he was doing so with his trip to Afghanistan?
  • Options
    Neil said:

So far I think Dave's 'D-Day Vet' has trumped Ed's 'Gareth he met in a park'......

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    There is no chance of me voting for Cameron or Miliband, but if people are swayed by Conference speeches, Cameron is on a different level

Like a Dad vs a student , really I feel like a PB Tory!
  • Options

Neil said:

I was referring to trying to disrupt the Conference. It has been a convention for decades that parties don't do that (and quite rightly so, democracy is not helped by trying to drown out any party laying out its platform for the election). Remember the flak Gordon Brown got when it looked as though he was doing so with his trip to Afghanistan?
    Remember last week when the Kippers moaned like whores about Cameron/Obama/ISIS conspiring to derail the Kipper conference.
  • Options
    @TSE

Carswell has used a picture of you to illustrate his hatred of party whips

http://www.talkcarswell.com/
  • Options
    Neil said:

You don't understand Neil. UKIP are supposed to unilaterally disband as a political party in the hope that the Conservatives manage to hoover up their vote so Miliband is stopped from No 10. Anything less than that is just malicious hatred for the misunderstood and unfairly treated Tories.

Of course, the appalling evil of Ed as Prime Minister isn't bad enough that the Tories are willing to stand by in 5% of their seats to get an alliance with UKIP...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Options

Neil said:

I was referring to trying to disrupt the Conference.
    Farage's place in the debates should be determined objectively and not by whether he played nice while the Tories were in Birmingham. As it happens all these defections are removing the last main barrier to Farage being included - that they dont have any MPs.
  • Options

Neil said:

Reckless was unveiled at UKIPs conference.. what's the problem with that?

You Conservatives said the same about the timing of Carswells defection, its all noise, you'll say the same whenever one of your MP's sees the light.
  • Options

Neil said:

So far I think Dave's 'D-Day Vet' has trumped Ed's 'Gareth he met in a park'......

Looking at the performance so far, hate to say it but Cameron is maschine-gunning trump cards all over Ed.

Still angry about last week.
  • Options
    Dave's going after the soft Labour vote.
  • Options

Neil said:

Remember last week when the Kippers moaned like whores about Cameron/Obama/ISIS conspiring to derail the Kipper conference.
    Did that moaning include our party leader calling any Tories "fat arse" or "dickhead"?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

So that's how you'll try to spin Cameron's cowardice in debating Farage. It's a novel excuse, but I don't think it will convince many.
    I'm not spinning anything. I'm just giving my opinion that UKIP's vindicative behaviour will anger Cameron, and quite rightly so, and that therefore any small chance there was of Farage being in the debates is now gone. Feel free to disagree, and argue that it makes it more likely.

The fact that you see anything posted on here as 'spinning' shows how out of touch with reality you are.
  • Options
    There's a rabbit, wouldn't call it jumbo though.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

UKIP will have MPs as well as a high poll score in the period when participation in any debates is decided, so his claim for involvement will be stronger.

My guess is that Miliband will be glad not to be debating Cameron, Cameron will be glad not to be debating Farage, and I'm not sure whether Clegg will be desperate enough to debate Farage just to garner a bit more attention, since that didn't go so well for the European elections.

So the debates are unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    BenM said:

Neil said:

Looking at the performance so far, hate to say it but Cameron is maschine-gunning trump cards all over Ed.

Still angry about last week.
    You may be many things Ben (love you really xx), but you are certainly honest.
  • Options

Neil said:

Ed Miliband = Ireland
    Ouch - is Cameron trailing that far behind Miliband's blazing economic growth figures? (Fwiw Ireland's GDP per capita is higher than Germany's ... now if only they hadnt made us pay off their stupid bond investments we'd be fine.)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Personal allowance to rise to £12,500.

Edited, forgot the £500.
  • Options
    Should have gone for NI. Oh wait.
  • Options
    There's your jumbo rabbit.
  • Options
    Mary Ann Seighart: That’s the Lib Dem conference buggered then.
  • Options
    Good policy. Mega jumbo rabbit right there.
  • Options

The fact that you see anything posted on here as 'spinning' shows how out of touch with reality you are.

Nonsense, Richard, the swing PB Tory vote will win or lose dozens of marginals! ;)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Ed Miliband = Ireland
    Ouch - is Cameron trailing that far behind Miliband's blazing economic growth figures? (Fwiw Ireland's GDP per capita is higher than Germany's ... now if only they hadnt made us pay off their stupid bond investments we'd be fine.)

I'm talking about the football teams.

How'd the last match in Dublin turn out?
  • Options
    40p rate to £50,000
  • Options

UKIP will have MPs as well as a high poll score in the period when participation in any debates is decided, so his claim for involvement will be stronger.

My guess is that Miliband will be glad not to be debating Cameron, Cameron will be glad not to be debating Farage, and I'm not sure whether Clegg will be desperate enough to debate Farage just to garner a bit more attention, since that didn't go so well for the European elections.

So the debates are unlikely to happen.
    They will just empty chair anyone not turning up, so I'm pretty sure they will. Given how much Cameron demanded them last time, he can't exactly make up excuses now.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709
    That 40% tax threshold for me is good timing!! (got a new job starting in a few weeks).
  • Options

I await your plaudits on the 40% threshold....
  • Options
    Possible £1800 saving for people on middle incomes. Massive policy.
  • Options
    How much is the £50k 40% threshold going to cost?

Sounds expensive
  • Options
    The normally composed Janan Ganesh: Jesus, that hike in the 40p threshold is huge
  • Options

You are the Poch of the tax world.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 1m1 minute ago
    40p tax rate only payable at 50,000 under Tories. If this speech doesn't shift polls a bit, difficult to know what will.
    Expand
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Tax cuts paid for by in work benefits freeze and massive cuts where?
  • Options
    Unless the defector's George Osborne I think the tax cuts will get the headlines.
  • Options

40p rate to £50,000

Cameron's priorities in a nutshell - hardworking families struggling to get by lose hundreds a year to pay for feckless homosexuals who dont need the money to get a tax break.

Any details on the timeframe so we know exactly how much of the low earners' benefits are being thrown to the highest earners?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Osborne and Cameron doing the classic Bad Cop/Good Cop routine. Not a bad approach.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MaxPB said:

Increasing the 40% threshold is hardly targeted on C2s, though, so we see that I was write to criticise that as spin.

Also, median earnings are a lot lower than the current 40% threshold, so moving that around has no impact on people on "middle incomes". It's a tax cut for the richest decile or two in society.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I'm not spinning anything. I'm just giving my opinion that UKIP's vindicative behaviour will anger Cameron, and quite rightly so, and that therefore any small chance there was of Farage being in the debates is now gone. Feel free to disagree, and argue that it makes it more likely.

Childishly petulant and capable of bearing a grudge as I have no doubt Cameron is, the contention that he will take a tactical decision based solely on smouldering resentment that a defection overshadowed his party conference months beforehand is utterly ridiculous. Cameron, in conjunction with Crosby, Osborne and whoever else, will decide what line he wants to push on the leaders debates based on where he thinks the advantage lies, and what he feels he can get away with, nothing more. To imagine otherwise is to do him a disservice.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MaxPB said:

It's £400 for everyone (£2k * 20%) and £2000 for higher earners (£2k * 20% + £8k * 20%).

Ish?
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sounds expensive

It will be very interesting to see how much this costs.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I salute your indefatigability. - Take a bow, Sir. ; )
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sounds expensive

Back of the fag packet says ~£3bn.

Oh yes. Finally low price houses for younger first time buyers as o suggested a few months back!
  • Options
    Good to see 40p coming in at £50k which will make me a lot better off.

Hope the child benefit tax charge threshold is moved up to in tandem.

Nice tax cut. The end of any nonsense about the Tories targetting the deficit.

Will cost an absolute fortune.

And so I rest my case Antifrank.

QED.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    These tax changes that Cameron promises are gradual, with them being reached by 2020. They seem pretty fair to me and I cannot see why Labour plus the Lib Dems would not match these.

It is always easier for current PM's/chancellors to make announcements as they have full access to the Treasury. Opposition parties don't gain access normally until the election is called.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Loads of new houses for first time buyers subsidised by 20% of market value by the taxpayer.

Wow lower taxes and extra commitments out of taxpayer.

Planet Tory
  • Options

Socrates said:

So you're arguing that Cameron is petulant enough that he will change what he thinks is the right strategic choice because that nasty Nigel has been mean to him? I see.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

MaxPB said:

It's £400 for everyone (£2k * 20%) and £2000 for higher earners (£2k * 20% + £8k * 20%).

Ish?
    He's said he's going to increase it overnight? I really, really doubt that's the case. If the aspiration is to get it there by the end of the next Parliament, for example, then the cost is much lower and the savings likewise.

• Options
    A wonderfully snooty comment by Andrew Sparrow in his Guardian live blog:

And lifting the 40p threshold significantly is something that will appeal enormously to what the Daily Telegraph and the Daily Mail call the middle class.

Of course no Guardian journalist would regard a salary as low as £50K as being the 'middle'.
  • Options
    Angry Salmond ‏@AngrySalmond 1m1 minute ago
    Imagine having a political party that's so awful people leave it to join UKIP. #CPC14
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Loads of new houses for first time buyers subsidised by 20% of market value by the taxpayer.

Planet Tory

Bored with Riot Club already?
  • Options
    Is that growing rumbling the sound of a herd of formerly disillusioned now ex-UKIP voters heading back to the Conservative fold?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

So you're arguing that Cameron is petulant enough that he will change what he thinks is the right strategic choice because that nasty Nigel has been mean to him? I see.

Yes, although I wouldn't put it quite like that.
  • Options
    Did he just say who we "resent". I'm sure he did.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

Planet Tory

The Tories are gambling on a sustained recovery with tax income from increased employment, retail/business spending and stamp duty. If the economy slows down again, they would struggle to meet the promises made.
  • Options
    It's curious that he cut income tax rather than national insurance...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yep.....'represent' bit of a mouthful in a mini climax...unfortunate slip of the tongue.....

• Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    MaxPB said:

Yes he did.

• Options

A wonderfully snooty comment by Andrew Sparrow in his Guardian live blog:

And lifting the 40p threshold significantly is something that will appeal enormously to what the Daily Telegraph and the Daily Mail call the middle class.

Of course no Guardian journalist would regard a salary as low as £50K as being the 'middle'.

It isn't middle is it? That's more like £27K. Not saying it is or is not a bad policy but it does benefit only the top 10% to 15% of earners.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Ed floor wiped.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

As Andrew Neil said beforehand, people believe that NI pays for the NHS when it is just any other tax. There is not enough time to have that debate and educate voters that cutting NI doesn't mean cutting NHS funding.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Teachers
    The upper end for classroom teachers is £37,000 ish, you can creep over £40,000 if you are top level and are teaching in central London. Head teachers will be happily going into 40% rate territory but no-one would class a a manager of a multi-million pound business as a "middle earner" surely?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MaxPB said:

He sure did!!

While talking about the Tories being like a trade union too!!

That was never going to be convincing in all honesty

He lost me at "ZILCH!"
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Good to see 40p coming in at £50k which will make me a lot better off.

Hope the child benefit tax charge threshold is moved up to in tandem.

Nice tax cut. The end of any nonsense about the Tories targetting the deficit.

Will cost an absolute fortune.

And so I rest my case Antifrank.

QED.

There's none so blind as will not see.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    BenM said:

Is that growing rumbling the sound of a herd of formerly disillusioned now ex-UKIP voters heading back to the Conservative fold?

I doubt it.

Not unless Cameron offered to expel all dem foreigners.
  • Options
    Neil said:

RodCrosby said:

MaxPB said:

Ish?
    If the aspiration is to get it there by the end of the next Parliament, for example, then the cost is much lower and the savings likewise.
    I'm sure that's the case - as with the personal allowance - in fairness they can point to their promise/record on that in this parliament.....

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Can I point out, and probably not for the last time, that the 40p threshold rise is the policy I said a few weeks ago would be the only one that could save the Tories.
    That one's a freebie, Dave, next time I'll expect a cheque
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I said Cameron would go emotional for this speech. I'm pleased. I hope this will shore the Conservatives up where UKIP have no chance. Could also significantly improve their chances in Scotland?

'Is that growing rumbling the sound of a herd of formerly disillusioned now ex-UKIP voters heading back to the Conservative fold?'

However this is fantasy.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is not often that tears come during a political speech - but Cameron was genuinely moving then. His comments on the NHS and his personal experience were very powerful
  • Options
    Sam Cam in tears?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I can see an opening for UKIP on this, they could say:
    "The government is forced to adopted UKIP policies, because people vote UKIP, the more people vote for UKIP, the more of what they want becomes government policy. Taxes, hospitals, the EU, what UKIP says in the end the government is forced to do it"
  • Options
    BenM said:

It isn't middle is it? That's more like £27K. Not saying it is or is not a bad policy but it does benefit only the top 10% to 15% of earners.

The overarching theme (Osborne + Cameron) is letting people keep more of their own money, rather than taking it away from them and then giving some of it back with in-work benefits. Sound Conservative stuff.
  • Options
    Got to say, not a fan of the emotional stuff (in general). Also think slagging off the opposition should be kept light, and not overdone.
  • Options
    Why does Cam resent hard-working people? Eh?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2014
    john_zims said:

Ed floor wiped.

I thought Cameron just cut Ed some slack - he mocked Ed Miliband for forgetting to mention the deficit in his speech. - then joked about how he once forgot his daughter down the pub.

It sounded quite funny. ; )
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

It is not often that tears come during a political speech - but Cameron was genuinely moving then. His comments on the NHS and his personal experience were very powerful

Yes Sam looked close to tears.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 14s14 seconds ago
    Cameron in tears as he says "how dare" Labour suggest he'd put NHS at risk, given his own son Ivan's experience.

Date night next?
  • Options
    From a not uncritical friend - Lord Ashcroft: Cameron doing well today...touching all the issues....and attempting to set the battle lines...Miliband will have to respond....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    No VAT cut on vacuum cleaners ? Kippers wont be happy. ..
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Socrates said:

As Andrew Neil said beforehand, people believe that NI pays for the NHS when it is just any other tax. There is not enough time to have that debate and educate voters that cutting NI doesn't mean cutting NHS funding.
    He could have just "merged" them, rather than cutting.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Cameron impressive so far in my opinion.

Targeting those who pull their socks up and want a better life with some good policies.

He looks passionate too. UKIP have pissed him off. Cameron with his back to the wall is a force to be reckoned with.
  • Options
    Important for Cameron to get across the link between economic success and the NHS. If he gets that across, it'd be a major win. If not, Labour can make hay with healthcare (ahem).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    jayfdee said:

Yes Sam looked close to tears.
    I did shed a few - it was something very rare in politics. Genuine passion.
  • Options
    Antifrank

LOL. Indeed.

You went for deficit reduction.

The Tories went for a gigantic tax cut.

Blind indeed.
  • Options
    Here comes the UKIP bit
This discussion has been closed.