Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Theresa May’s new anti-terrorist measures

2»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    JBriskin said:

Thanks for the replies re:accounts/Gps. I guess I/we were being naïve. Plus - great card flashing OKC.

Purely academic now Mr Briskin, I assure you. Any opportunities would be referred to younger, much more up to date colleagues! And without any financial implications!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    Poll - Tory voters would prefer a LD coalition to a minority government by 53 to 37%, Labour voters would prefer a minority government to a LD coalition by 41 to 40%. Amongst all voters 39% prefer a minority government, 21% a Con Lab deal, 19% a Lab LD deal and 22% don't know http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/poll-conservative-lib-dem-coalition-_n_5903692.html
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

kle4 said:

currystar said:

This is a must-read - a magisterial end-of-year-4 report on the Cameron government by Anthony Seldon:

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/cameron-the-first-cut

Richard: that's a very interesting read, an impressive piece of work, but very pro-Cameron.

It takes some doing to describe Oliver Letwin as an "Éminence grise".
    Maybe just maybe Cameron is a bit more capable than many on here believe, I have always felt that he has done a fine job given the country he inherited. Can you imagine the position we would be if labour had won.
    I don't see that it would have been that bad really. I mean, I don't like the narrative that all the parties are literally the same, but with big savings needed - and we are repeatedly told for 2015 that even if Labour are in denial now about what needs doing, they will end up doing what is needed just in a less planned fashion - you can tweak things here and there, but the biggest savings have to come from areas of biggest expenditure in the end. So what else would have been different? Fewer academies and some differences over welfare? Oh, and the income tax threshold maybe, though I don't know what Labour policy on that was.

The coalition government have done much to encourage people to get jobs rather than sit on welfare. Labour would never have done that, they have always produced policies which encourage welfare dependancy
    So GO wants to make work pay by freezing in work benefits.

You do know most benefits go to those workers whose employers arent prepared to pay sufficient levels of wages. The taxpayer subsidising companies making millions or billions in profits really is a joke.

Of course most of our welfare state payments go to oldies.

So do you see it as a failure of the coalition to get people who were on benefit into work ?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

O/T
    Local paper in Braintree has been running a poll of readers on whether or not Brooks Newmark should resign as an MP. 58% Yes, 42% No. No idea of how many votes or any other controls on the "poll".

Newmark should resign as an MP for this reason. If you were a young women that needed help, would you feel comfortable visiting a constituency surgery held by Newmark. If the answer is no, then he cannot perform an important function of being an MP.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,177
    edited September 2014

Sean_F said:

This is a must-read - a magisterial end-of-year-4 report on the Cameron government by Anthony Seldon:

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/cameron-the-first-cut

Richard: that's a very interesting read, an impressive piece of work, but very pro-Cameron.

It takes some doing to describe Oliver Letwin as an "Éminence grise".
    I think "Jonah" would be a better description for Oliver Letwin.
    Quite. I've never understood the question to which Oliver Letwin is the answer. He's clever, and personally a charming man. But his political and personal judgement is naive in the extreme, and his competence somewhat variable.
    Letwin is, to put it bluntly and with no malice intended, a fuckwit.

He might have made a good absent-minded professor in a highly intellectual non-real world subject.

But for anything connected with the other 99% of us ...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    We need to change the relationship to GPs and the patient.

We don't need our own GP. It is an anachronism in the modern world that heaps cost on the system with very little benefit.

Radical change, top down is the way to approach the rotund corporate feline executives that masquerade as GPs.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2014
    Y0kel said:

IS...Syria..Turkey.

Tomb of Suleyman Shah...worth looking up as it may be of significance shortly.

Yes, I've seen the tanks amassing on the border.
    Will it lead to a wider invasion though?
    And the reaction to it by the west, by Iran, by Assad and the Kurds?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170
    hucks67 said:

O/T
    Local paper in Braintree has been running a poll of readers on whether or not Brooks Newmark should resign as an MP. 58% Yes, 42% No. No idea of how many votes or any other controls on the "poll".

Newmark should resign as an MP for this reason. If you were a young women that needed help, would you feel comfortable visiting a constituency surgery held by Newmark. If the answer is no, then he cannot perform an important function of being an MP.
    I shall, later this week, be involved in a discussion about a social gathering to which he is invited. “Twill be “interesting” to learn the opinion of the females in that discussion.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I keep receiving campaign literature in the post from CCHQ. They seem to be spending an awful lot of money. Is this how the Tories are getting around any election spending limits( if there are any) by sending out election campaign leaflets, before the offical campaign period has started ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Did Reckless just have fewer friends than Carswell, or was it that his defection proved the Tories UKIP problem is catastrophic rather than isolated, that has led to him being given so much more crap than Carswell over his defection?

The Tories are panicing.

All the abuse being aimed at Reckless is to convince other would be defectors not to follow him.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,740
    hucks67 said:

I keep receiving campaign literature in the post from CCHQ. They seem to be spending an awful lot of money. Is this how the Tories are getting around any election spending limits( if there are any) by sending out election campaign leaflets, before the offical campaign period has started ?

Presumably you are in a marginal constituency? Are they generic (ie to all voters) or specific to something that you have commented on, replied to, etc?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    HYUFD said:

Poll - Tory voters would prefer a LD coalition to a minority government by 53 to 37%, Labour voters would prefer a minority government to a LD coalition by 41 to 40%. Amongst all voters 39% prefer a minority government, 21% a Con Lab deal, 19% a Lab LD deal and 22% don't know http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/poll-conservative-lib-dem-coalition-_n_5903692.html

At this point even if by some miracle they are in a position where a coalition with either is viable, why would the LDs even want to enter into a coalition again? They seem to get no benefit from doing so, not electorally, and there is less need to enter a coalition now even if the math works out.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I suppose I better watch the second half then...

Ashley Cole plays for Roma now? Who knew.

I canna keep up.

See you all in 45
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,585
    That is a genuinely laugh out loud cartoon. Brilliant.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited September 2014
    hucks67 said:

O/T

A bit harsh old son (he who casts stones etc) - I have already said on PB his embarrassing spare time activities weren't compatible with continuing as a minister. However he was subject to a politically motivated and dodgy sting set up by the odious Mirror Group and as such he deserves a chance to redeem himself as a politician. If the illusory young woman you refer to really has a problem no doubt he can arrange for another female assistant to be present.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

7 days GP working is a crap idea. The NHS is already horribly stretched after David Cameron's multi billion top-down reorganisation. GPs at breaking point with workload. An ageing population.

The NHS needs more money and the rolling back of the Lansley / Cameron privatisation agenda chaos, no doubt. It doesn't need precious cash diverted to electoral gimmicks.

Yes, it really doesn't get enough spent on it does it? If we could just get the world to lend us another £100billion to lavish on it, we might really get somewhere. Gold-plated flower vases for the elderly to drink out of would be good -and somewhere where you can get a nice head and shoulder massage -it's so stressful having to constantly ignore some old codger begging for a bedpan.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Hugh

'The NHS needs more money and the rolling back of the Lansley / Cameron privatisation agenda chaos, no doubt. It doesn't need precious cash diverted to electoral gimmicks.'

And to think Labour in Wales cut their NHS budget by 8% you must be gobsmacked.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

IS...Syria..Turkey.

It has already been of significance -Turkey planned a false flag attack upon it in order to justify them launching a ground invasion of Syria. When a recording of it became public, they banned twitter to try and shut the rumours down.

Are they reviving this plan?

• Options
    Lennon said:

hucks67 said:

Presumably you are in a marginal constituency? Are they generic (ie to all voters) or specific to something that you have commented on, replied to, etc?
    I live in Kingston-upon-Thames (Con/LibDem marginal). I've already had a survey on national supposedly from David Cameron (he seems to have moved out of Downing Street and into a data processing centre in Hull) as well as a flyer on local issues from the Conservative PPC
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    hucks67 said:

O/T

I suspect the poll (which anyway is a voodoo poll) reflects a general aversion to politicians. To be fair I don't think most young women would feel especially uncomfortable visiting Newmark for advice on benefits or the like just because he'd tried to send a smutty picture to someone whom he thought he knew. There must be loads of MPs, doctors, dentists and other people who've occasionally done something indiscreet in their private lives - we can't avoid them all. It's different from the serial groper type who tries his luck on any woman in range.

The question that Letwin answers is "Does the Conserv ative Party have any strategic thinkers that map out where they're trying to go?" Apart from maybe IDS, I can't think of anyone else. They're rare in all parties.

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Speedy said:

Y0kel said:

IS...Syria..Turkey.

Yes, I've seen the tanks amassing on the border.
    Will it lead to a wider invasion though?
    And the reaction to it by the west, by Iran, by Assad and the Kurds?
    We await to see.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Lennon said:

hucks67 said:

I got a survey from my MP through the door the other day? Is this usual?
  • Options

Lennon said:

hucks67 said:

I live in Kingston-upon-Thames (Con/LibDem marginal). I've already had a survey on national supposedly from David Cameron (he seems to have moved out of Downing Street and into a data processing centre in Hull)
    Saves money. All in this together after all.

• Options
    isam said:

Lennon said:

hucks67 said:

Hell, I only get 2 leaflets from my MP at GE time, and even then it barely mentions him so I doubt he has had anything to do with it, so if you are in a safe seat like me I suspect it is very unusual.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,707
    edited September 2014
    The story about ISIS advancing on the tomb on Al Arabia: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/09/30/Turkey-ISIS-advancing-on-Suleyman-Shah-tomb.html

It's of no strategic importance except as a way to justify a Turkish invasion of Syria. Turkey also happens to be the one letting ISIS over the Syrian border. ISIS -our weapon against Syria. We need to realise this. We need to come to terms with the fact that our Governments put us in danger by nurturing Islamic extremism for their own ends. And then decide what we can do, democratically and peacefully, about this fact.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

O/T

I suspect the poll (which anyway is a voodoo poll) reflects a general aversion to politicians. To be fair I don't think most young women would feel especially uncomfortable visiting Newmark for advice on benefits or the like just because he'd tried to send a smutty picture to someone whom he thought he knew. There must be loads of MPs, doctors, dentists and other people who've occasionally done something indiscreet in their private lives - we can't avoid them all. It's different from the serial groper type who tries his luck on any woman in range.

The question that Letwin answers is "Does the Conserv ative Party have any strategic thinkers that map out where they're trying to go?" Apart from maybe IDS, I can't think of anyone else. They're rare in all parties.

That was more Steve Hilton. Letwin is certainly a keen policy junkie, and obsessive about detail, but a real equivocater. I doubt he could map out his route back home from the office.

Right now, it's probably Crosby and Osborne. Strangely enough.
  • Options
    kle4 They are in government for the first time since Lloyd George, there is no point getting 23% of the vote as a party of protest if none of your plans can be put into practice
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Lennon said:

hucks67 said:

Hell, I only get 2 leaflets from my MP at GE time, and even then it barely mentions him so I doubt he has had anything to do with it, so if you are in a safe seat like me I suspect it is very unusual.
    Hornchurch & Upminster

Asking what I thought of the govt, their reaction to terrorism threat, who I voted for last time, likelihood (out of 10) to vote for the 4 main contenders

It was called "Angela's survey" as if it was correspondence from Dame Watkinson herself! Maybe it was!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 They are in government for the first time since Lloyd George, there is no point getting 23% of the vote as a party of protest if none of your plans can be put into practice

Coalition is something they have been driving at for that very reason of course - but clearly if they want as many MPs as possible, they don't want to put that into practice. Apparently a lot of that 23% either had stricter limitations on when a coalition was a good idea, or just wanted a party of protest. Fair play to the LDs for sticking with the Coalition idea if they get the opportunity, but for those who just want to increase the size of the party, not doing so is probably a better option for them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

@Rob_Merrick: Pubs minister Kris Hopkins tells CAMRA meeting he lost his voice at a 'Good Riddance to Reckless You Treacherous Bastard' party #cpc14

Why on earth did the Conservatives pick him as a candidate in the first place?

Apparently Peter Oborne hated him so much he campaigned for Labour in 2005, and now everyones calling him all the names under the sun...

Yea, I've not really worked out why Oborne was so hostile in 2005. I was planning to canvass in Clacton on Saturday, but may go down to Rochester instead.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

@Rob_Merrick: Pubs minister Kris Hopkins tells CAMRA meeting he lost his voice at a 'Good Riddance to Reckless You Treacherous Bastard' party #cpc14

Why on earth did the Conservatives pick him as a candidate in the first place?

Apparently Peter Oborne hated him so much he campaigned for Labour in 2005, and now everyones calling him all the names under the sun...

Yea, I've not really worked out why Oborne was so hostile in 2005. I was planning to canvass in Clacton on Saturday, but may go down to Rochester instead.

Wasn't it more a case of Oborne being pro Bob Marshall Andrews?
  • Options
    kle4 It is a pointless idea anyway, after the Tuition fees u-turn and their support for austerity I doubt the LDs will breach 20% again for a generation, so if they are offered a chance at power they should snap the hands off the party which offers it
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Yes - in fact you'll find they will do it during the election too, since only correspondence relating to the specific constituency counts against spending limits (apart from the high national limit). It's a loophole. Cameron can write to you ever day between now and May 7 and so long as he's writing to other people too, it doesn't count against the constituency limit.

The MP surveys are used by all parties partly to harvest your personal details (phone number, email address, etc.) and anything you're willing to disclose about your leanings - if it's paid for by the House of Commons, the MP can't ask your party prerference, but can ask if you think they're doing a good job, which is a surrogate. As a bonus, the MP gets credit for being in touch. It's possible that your MP is also interested in your views on whatever it was in the surbey, but it'd be naive to think that was the only reason. People here used to go on about the annual report that MPs wrote, which has been abolished, but the surveys are in the same tradition.

I'd like to see it tightened up a lot. That said, it does seem to have diminishing returns - if the MP actually has anything important to say, it risks getting chucked away as "more bloody junk mail from the politiicans".

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 It is a pointless idea anyway, after the Tuition fees u-turn and their support for austerity I doubt the LDs will breach 20% again for a generation, so if they are offered a chance at power they should snap the hands off the party which offers it

Yeah, good point. Whoever picks up the scraps after Clegg and co are ousted might as well get some real achievements down if they can.
  • Options
    kle4 Exactly
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,585
    Surely the whole point of the 7 day a week GP is to take pressure off casualty and to try to divert some of the madding crowds who turn up there because no one else is interested.
    If it achieves that it will be a good idea.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    DavidL said:

Surely the whole point of the 7 day a week GP is to take pressure off casualty and to try to divert some of the madding crowds who turn up there because no one else is interested.
    If it achieves that it will be a good idea.

Agreed but cant get enough GP trainees to cover a 5 day 9-5 service so unless we allow in more non EU immigrants it will not happen.
  • Options
    ComRes Phone poll out at 10 pm
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    edited September 2014
    Scott_P said:

Thing is that is utterly meaningless. I could host a 'Michael Gove is a useless Bastard who should be hung up by his balls party' * and probably fill the Albert Hall and it would be just as meaningless.

* I wouldn't of course as I believe Gove was one of the few unquestionably good things about the Government.
  • Options

When was the fieldwork do you know?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @STVNews: Yes campaign chief says BBC referendum coverage was not biased http://t.co/ejxPm0GZKQ #indyref

On, no, he has been hoodwinked by the establishment...
  • Options
    9.55 YG and 10pm CR

5 mins do not get more exciting than that
  • Options

When was the fieldwork do you know?
    Friday to Sunday inclusive
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Hugh said:

You Gov

40% of British people think the Conservatives would eliminate the deficit by 2020 – but only 17% think Labour would

See http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/30/tories-twice-trusted-deficit/

Who cares? Osborne has long since failed on the deficit and trashed the UK credit rating, the sky didn't fall in.

The Cost of Living Crisis is where the action is at now. Who benefits from this so-called "recovery"?
    "Who cares "- so speaks Labour

borrow til we go bust.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Hugh said:

You Gov

40% of British people think the Conservatives would eliminate the deficit by 2020 – but only 17% think Labour would

See http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/30/tories-twice-trusted-deficit/

Who cares? Osborne has long since failed on the deficit and trashed the UK credit rating, the sky didn't fall in.

The Cost of Living Crisis is where the action is at now. Who benefits from this so-called "recovery"?
    how about all those people in new jobs and those who avoided redundancy?
  • Options
    You've spelt "you're" incorrectly
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Did Reckless just have fewer friends than Carswell, or was it that his defection proved the Tories UKIP problem is catastrophic rather than isolated, that has led to him being given so much more crap than Carswell over his defection?

Don't let the current narrative fool you, Carswell was accused of theaving party data by the Conservatives, & being a traitor to his constituents etc on here when he first defected, while it was doubted that he would retain his seat until the polls showed him with a 44 point lead...

Then they rumbled it was pointless and left it. Now they act as if it was always the case

If a poll shows Reckless well in the lead in R&S no doubt the slime will be put back in the bucket for the next defector

Pointed, viscious and eloquent that post.

And exactly right.

• Options
    isam said:

You've spelt "you're" incorrectly
    Already corrected Mr Sked.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thing is that is utterly meaningless. I could host a 'Michael Gove is a useless Bastard who should be hung up by his balls party' * and probably fill the Albert Hall and it would be just as meaningless.

* I wouldn't of course as I believe Gove was one of the few unquestionably good things about the Government.
    Is this for real? I thought it was a piss take.

Someone reassure me that the Tories didn't hold a party in Reckless's dishonour.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

cant get enough GP trainees to cover a 5 day 9-5 service

I thought the NHS was the envy of the world.

• Options
    I realise that. I must be getting old. :(
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah, good point. Whoever picks up the scraps after Clegg and co are ousted might as well get some real achievements down if they can.
    What they should do in that case (and probably should have done this time) is get a half-dozen flagship policies (which have to be ones that people actually care about) which are feasible to make it through Coalition negotiations, get them in, and scream it from the rooftops.

That, and a slack handful of "red lines" to prevent one or t'other of the Big Two from implementing - but ones that they could actually hold to. Breaching a red-line promise is, as we've seen, damn near fatal.

Of course, actually achieving all of this isn't exactly trivial.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I realise that. I must be getting old. :(
    Age is just a state of mind.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Their pensions are.
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics ·

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead remains five points: CON 31%, LAB 36%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    chestnut said:

That must be why they're choosing to work in NHS hospitals target than be self employed GPs.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead remains five points: CON 31%, LAB 36%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%

It's the Gold Standard, y'know.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Remarkable stability, given events and conferences.
  • Options
    Why wouldn't Zac Goldsmith be the next defector?
  • Options
    A few weeks ago the USA brought back an Ebola sufferer and cured him.

One good turn now turns deadly:

Ian Geldard ‏@igeldard 13m2 minutes ago
    First Case Of Ebola In The US Confirmed http://read.bi/1poUaCl by @fedira
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 33s33 seconds ago
    ComRes phone poll for Indy
    CON 29
    LAB 35
    LD 10
    UKIP 15
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 19s19 seconds ago
    ComRes phone poll for Indy
    CON 29
    LAB 35
    LD 10
    UKIP 15
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,322
    isam said:

Because UKIP wouldn't win Richmond?
  • Options
    And CR 6-point lead - on second thoughts, that's the Gold Standard.
  • Options
    Tonights YG LAB 354 CON 248 LD 21 EICIPM

Tonights Com Res LAB 360 CON 229 LD 33 EICIPM
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,322
    isam said:

Also, he's a bit of a green, which doesn't fit with UKIP energy policies. And the LibDems might slip through and win Richmond in the case of a by-election.

This discussion has been closed.