Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Theresa May’s new anti-terrorist measures

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Theresa May’s new anti-terrorist measures

If you would like to purchase one of Marf’s prints or originals, please contact her here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,351
    Sweet Marf cartoon!
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014
    FPT

kle4 said:

» show previous quotes
    It was a blow, but no-one really thinks a UK PM of any stripe can get anything meaningful from the EU bureaucrats, so it was more a symptom of his wider problem and in any case what everyone expected, whereas the other issues listed are things another leader could have done something about.

Then why did Cameron bother making such a fuss about it? He clearly thought he could make a stand and they pulled the rug from under him. Given he is trying to get the British people to believe he can have meaningful negotiations with Brussels on a whole raft of things it was a massive blow. The whole credibility of his EU referendum position was at stake and Brussels left it in tatters.

Whether he should have known better or not is a different matter.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Merkel Merkel Merkel Merkel Merkel Merkel
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

FPT

kle4 said:

» show previous quotes
    It was a blow, but no-one really thinks a UK PM of any stripe can get anything meaningful from the EU bureaucrats, so it was more a symptom of his wider problem and in any case what everyone expected, whereas the other issues listed are things another leader could have done something about.

Then why did Cameron bother making such a fuss about it? He clearly thought he could make a stand and they pulled the rug from under him. Given he is trying to get the British people to believe he can have meaningful negotiations with Brussels on a whole raft of things it was a massive blow. The whole credibility of his EU referendum position was at stake and Brussels left it in tatters.

He thought attempting to make a stand was better than nothing I suspect, as he did need to get people to believe he could get something credible. I think we're quibbling over nothing> I don't think it particularly made him a laughing stock even though it wounded him, because the British position on this is already a laughing stock, so he didn't comparitively get wounded as much as with the other issues.
  • Options
    That's good!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    FPT

@oxfordsimon said:

» show previous quotes

No-one - other than you (and a few others determined to twist this) has suggested making GPs work a 7 day week.

What is necessary and desirable is that patients have access to primary medical care at a local level at times that suit the needs of the patients.

People fall ill and require treatment 7 days a week. Our hospitals are not the appropriate place for many of them to go to get that treatment - so it must fall to the GPs to provide this necessary care.

It requires them to change their working hours and to be more flexible. It does not require them to work 7 days a week.

It is about living in the modern world.

And you, of course, know this - you just want to oppose it for the sake of opposing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

isam said

Stop telling me what I think. It is annoying and patronising.. and more to the point you are wrong about what I think

I am not particularly opposing it. Find where I said I did.

I don't see why weekends are all that different really

I only repeated what a GP interviewed on TV said, it wasn't my opinion, you just were so eager to argue you put words in my mouth, then argued against them

Maybe they should start off by making it 6 days a week?

But changing working hours rather than extending them assumes we have a load of doctors on the subs bench ready to fill in the gaps/extra hours, and the point the guy on TV made was that there aren't.

Also the Tescos comparsison, without having a go at Tesco workers, is rubbish, as Tescos is an unskilled job and extra hours are easy to recruit for.. I wouldn't want some disinterested student with a hangover as my Doctor, but I don't mind them on the till at Tescos
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Personally, I'd have thought we need to do more non-criminal work to deal with extremist views within society e.g. on the education front, on the enforcement of existing laws, on vigorous debate and challenge to the extremist narrative in newspapers, in schools, universities and by politicians and by civil society more widely, by cracking down on so-called sharia courts, by shaming those organisations and people who associate with or give space to extremists etc etc.

Criminal laws have their part but you don't win the battle of ideas just by locking people up.
  • Options
    disinterested scans soo much better than the, correct, uninterested.

I'm claiming a PB point for that.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:

FPT

@oxfordsimon said:

» show previous quotes

No-one - other than you (and a few others determined to twist this) has suggested making GPs work a 7 day week.

What is necessary and desirable is that patients have access to primary medical care at a local level at times that suit the needs of the patients.

People fall ill and require treatment 7 days a week. Our hospitals are not the appropriate place for many of them to go to get that treatment - so it must fall to the GPs to provide this necessary care.

It requires them to change their working hours and to be more flexible. It does not require them to work 7 days a week.

It is about living in the modern world.

And you, of course, know this - you just want to oppose it for the sake of opposing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

isam said

Stop telling me what I think. It is annoying and patronising.. and more to the point you are wrong about what I think

I only repeated what a GP interviewed on TV said, it wasn't my opinion, you just were so eager to argue you put words in my mouth, then argued against them

But changing working hours rather than extending them assumes we have a load of doctors on the subs bench ready to fill in the gaps/extra hours, and the point the guy on TV made was that there aren't.

Also the Tescos comparsison, without having a go at Tesco workers, is rubbish, as Tescos is an unskilled job and extra hours are easy to recruit for.. I wouldn't want some disinterested student with a hangover as my Doctor, but I don't mind them on the till at Tescos

Stop being disingenuous. The suggestion was that supermarkets operated surgeries with fully qualified medical staff that they employed, not students. My local Sainsburys has a pharmacy - why not a doctor too?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited September 2014
    I were in a meeting this afternoon, looked at twitter and saw Bill Cash had defected to UKIP and Doctor Fox had been arrested over alleged sexual offences.

I then cursed Mike for going on holiday.

Then looked closer it was Bill Cash, son of Bill Cash MP who had defected, and it was the DJ Doctor Fox who had been arrested.

That was a scary minute in my head.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FPT

kle4 said:

» show previous quotes

He thought attempting to make a stand was better than nothing I suspect, as he did need to get people to believe he could get something credible. I think we're quibbling over nothing> I don't think it particularly made him a laughing stock even though it wounded him, because the British position on this is already a laughing stock, so he didn't comparitively get wounded as much as with the other issues.
    Well given most people who he was trying to impress likely viewed it as a futile gesture anyway I would tend to agree. However that he tried (again) and failed (again) was rather pathetic. Of course the other side of it is at least when Juncker's does his worst then Cameron can say 'well I tried to stop him'....

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    The bit about "reducing workloads", or the entire speech?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @TheWatcher

Stop being disingenuous. The suggestion was that supermarkets operated surgeries with fully qualified medical staff that they employed, not students. My local Sainsburys has a pharmacy - why not a doctor too?

----------------------------------------------------------

Im not, I am sorry I thought people were talking about Supermarkets being open 24/7 so why not Doctors.

Sorry if I got wrong end of the stick

Stop assuming the worst of people all the time
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Personally, I'd have thought we need to do more non-criminal work to deal with extremist views within society e.g. on the education front, on the enforcement of existing laws, on vigorous debate and challenge to the extremist narrative in newspapers, in schools, universities and by politicians and by civil society more widely, by cracking down on so-called sharia courts, by shaming those organisations and people who associate with or give space to extremists etc etc.

Criminal laws have their part but you don't win the battle of ideas just by locking people up.

Which is precisely what Theresa May said:

http://press.conservatives.com/post/98799073410/theresa-may-speech-to-conservative-party-conference
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Which is precisely what Theresa May said:

http://press.conservatives.com/post/98799073410/theresa-may-speech-to-conservative-party-conference
    I know. I worry that others in government and elsewhere are not pulling their weight on this. Why isn't the Universities Minister, for instance, coming down like a ton of bricks on those universities who host talks by extremist preachers? Why doesn't one of the many junior Ministers point out to the Quakers the utter grotesqueness of them allowing their halls to be used by speakers preaching violence and hatred against Jews? Etc etc.

May's speech may be good on this. Cameron has made some good speeches (including in opposition) but where's the follow-through? We're near the end of this government and these are plans for the next government, if they win.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited September 2014
    DJ Dr Neil Fox has been arrested today for historic sex offences.

Not many left that haven't been arrested, including Kid Jensen!
  • Options
    bunncobunnco Posts: 169
    Cameron's queen gaffe. As foretold by Bunnco - your man on the spot this morning.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, easy mistake to make, especially the Cash one. People should be more accurate when reporting such stuff.

Also, I dislike naming one's children after oneself.
  • Options
    This is a must-read - a magisterial end-of-year-4 report on the Cameron government by Anthony Seldon:

http://www.ippr.org/juncture/cameron-the-first-cut

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Nigel

"Not many left that haven't been arrested, including Kid Jensen! "

They haven't arrested David Jensen have they?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    It's only Timmy Mallett & the Chuckle Brothers left now.

Once they get them, my entire childhood is basically ruined.
  • Options
    Mr. Pong, the Chuckle Brothers were on Look North recently. Apparently they're doing a rap with someone or other.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Response to Morgan more positive all round. She's been meeting with unions re workload - in the 'more focus on actual teaching' sense - and *seems* sincere. Also more positive reception from teachers I know/am in contact with... mainly as she's not slagging us off 24/7. Plus she doesn't seem so fond of twisting stats.

She's on a charm offensive I think, we'll see where it leads.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    edited September 2014
    deleted
  • Options
    Pong said:

Depressingly, I've said pretty much the same thing here on PB - I think Tony Blackburn and Kid Jensen are the only ones standing from the time when TOTP was essential viewing for myself and siblings. #groan
  • Options

This is a must-read - a magisterial end-of-year-4 report on the Cameron government by Anthony Seldon:

I confess that I had not thought the government had regained momentum, although things did seem steadier before the summer this uear.
  • Options
    O/T
    Local paper in Braintree has been running a poll of readers on whether or not Brooks Newmark should resign as an MP. 58% Yes, 42% No. No idea of how many votes or any other controls on the "poll".
  • Options
    You Gov

40% of British people think the Conservatives would eliminate the deficit by 2020 – but only 17% think Labour would

See http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/09/30/tories-twice-trusted-deficit/
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

You Gov

40% of British people think the Conservatives would eliminate the deficit by 2020 – but only 17% think Labour would

Who cares? Osborne has long since failed on the deficit and trashed the UK credit rating, the sky didn't fall in.

The Cost of Living Crisis is where the action is at now. Who benefits from this so-called "recovery"?
  • Options
    [The Cost of Living Crisis is where the action is at now.]

Thank god labour has the answer...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I loved Peter Powell and Mike Reid - didn't Peter Powell become a record producer? Oh and Bruno Brookes was fun - and very short, along with Mark Goodier.

Mike Reid - I've no idea, but he did wear some very flashy blue tinted specs. Is he still alive? I know the other Mike Read is kaput.

I loathed Kid Jensen.

DJ Dr Neil Fox has been arrested today for historic sex offences.

Not many left that haven't been arrested, including Kid Jensen!

• Options

Richard: that's a very interesting read, an impressive piece of work, but very pro-Cameron.

It takes some doing to describe Oliver Letwin as an "Éminence grise".
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Well, to be sure the Tories haven’t.

Their “way forward” is to increase the gap for poorer families, so that it’s even more difficult for them.
  • Options

isam said

Limited number of doctors and trained staff available under the capitalist system equals higher wages and costs. We can, of course, import extra doctors into the UK and trained nurses and staff, but I thought that was a No No these days.

Then again, why, if I was a trained MD would I want to work my backside off in the UK when I could go to Australia, South Africa, Canada, etc, get a higher paid job, have restricted hours and a solid contract with better living standards? Why, if I was a newly graduated doctor, would I even want to go into GP work anyway?

Anyone taken their pet to a vet these days? £45 at least for a 15 minute visit, plus the cost of injections, pills and goodness knows what else. The last visit for standard boosters and health check cost £100.

We have, in the UK, got a misty eyed view of the NHS, Free at the point of Use. Except it is not "Free". If the government wants all these bells and whistles, 7/24 GP facilities, then someone is going to have to pay, and it is going to be you and me.
  • Options

JBriskin said:

Their “way forward” is to increase the gap for poorer families, so that it’s even more difficult for them.
    They've got a policy to "increase the gap"?? Which one's that then?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4743/reyhaneh-jabbari-execution

Iran's "Hanging Machine" to Execute Reyhaneh Jabbari
  • Options
    Not many posts. Is this thread broken?
  • Options

You Gov

I don't believe that people care. The Tories said they'd eliminate the deficit in 5 years, now it will be 8 (or rather 10), and people don't seem that mad at the delay. So long as the economy picks up and people feel a little better, they won't want to do any more cutting at all, even if they claim otherwise - in theory people want more cuts to spending, but in reality, if we feel ok, it isn't that urgent.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

What is it?

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    So I've had to go to Guernsey for work - have I missed a(nother) defection or anything?

Also - anyone know a decent real ale pub in St Peter Port?
    Finally - is @AndyJS around - have some Pirate Party candidates for him...
  • Options

You Gov

I doubt that figure will change much before next May unless Ed comes up with a policy to address the issue. Meanwhile, he appears desperate to ignore it, forget it or change the topic entirely.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JBriskin said:

What is it?

And let CCHQ get it for free - I don't think so!!!!

• Options
    7 days GP working is a crap idea. The NHS is already horribly stretched after David Cameron's multi billion top-down reorganisation. GPs at breaking point with workload. An ageing population.

The NHS needs more money and the rolling back of the Lansley / Cameron privatisation agenda chaos, no doubt. It doesn't need precious cash diverted to electoral gimmicks.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

The gap for poorer families between what has to go out and what comes in. The Tories appear to want to decrease the latter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JasonGroves1: Eurosceptic Tory MP Philip Hollobone, installed by bookies as 2/1 favourite to switch to UKIP, tells me: 'I am not defecting to Ukip'
  • Options

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

The gap for poorer families between what has to go out and what comes in. The Tories appear to want to decrease the latter.
    Which policy's that then?

All of them??

Ha ha - sounds about right - F-ing tories.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Richard: that's a very interesting read, an impressive piece of work, but very pro-Cameron.

I think "Jonah" would be a better description for Oliver Letwin.
  • Options
    Breitbart News ‏@BreitbartNews 4m50 seconds ago
    Sister: Iran Killed Nuclear Scientist for Refusing To Develop Nuke 12 Times Stronger than Hiroshima: Until now... http://bit.ly/1CEEx1S
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JBriskin said:

What is it?

Reduce the number of living with another mid-Staffs scandal?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Edin_Rokz said:

We have, in the UK, got a misty eyed view of the NHS, Free at the point of Use. Except it is not "Free". If the government wants all these bells and whistles, 7/24 GP facilities, then someone is going to have to pay, and it is going to be you and me.

The problem is this: many people want continuity of care under the same GP. However, they also want to be able to access that GP, seemingly, 24/7.

If your argument is "well, we don't need to see OUR GP during the night or at weekends", then that's fine - we already have GP Out of Hours services everywhere in the country delivering that. Now, if you want these services taken back into traditional practices, fair enough, we can do that, but let's at least be on top of the brief enough to know that the mooted weekend GP service already exists.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

7 days GP working is a crap idea. The NHS is already horribly stretched after David Cameron's multi billion top-down reorganisation. GPs at breaking point with workload. An ageing population.

The NHS needs more money and the rolling back of the Lansley / Cameron privatisation agenda chaos, no doubt. It doesn't need precious cash diverted to electoral gimmicks.

Surely the 100% private NHS (that was Lansley, wasn't it?) can choose to open on a Sunday if they so choose - like a supermarket. Supermarket's aren't forced to open on a Sunday - they do it because it is in their own self interest; i.e the profit motive.

• Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

All of them??

Gideon has just clobbered the working poor for a few billion. Again.

"You know who's had it too easy for too long Dave? The working poor. I'll get 'em"
  • Options
    My personal view is that there should be two "schemes" that you can choose from (and change between, say, every year at the most).

Option 1: you get access to a named GP in-hours, who will make care plans for you and co-ordinate your care, including in hospital and mental health services. However, you can't access walk-in clinics or centres unless your named GP refers you in (you can still go to A&E in an emergency). This would allow one person to manage your health fully, without duplicating costs. This would work well for people with overlapping chronic conditions or mental illness.

Option 2: you don't have a named GP or care planning, but you can access walk-in clinics at your convenience. This would be a good option for generally healthy people.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Got a lot of sympathy Hugh. The NHS often appears to be “managed” at the top by people from Mars.
    However, is there any reason why GP’s and other health professionals shouldn’t work on a four, five or whatever day basis. There’s no absolute requirment nowadays to have Sunday off. The big problem, it’s always seemed to me as one who worked most Saturdays and many Sundays thoughout his working life, is that there’s a lot of abuse for “not doing things with the family at weekends”.
    Square that circle ...... maybe by ensuring that “weekend" working is normal and on a rota of some sort and Robert’s your mother’s brother!
  • Options
    With friends like this...

@cathynewman: "I know what it's like" @JuliaGillard tells @Ed_Miliband to stick to his beliefs and ignore the insults
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

You Gov

I doubt that figure will change much before next May unless Ed comes up with a policy to address the issue. Meanwhile, he appears desperate to ignore it, forget it or change the topic entirely.
    I think it would hardly matter. Remember, the Tories said they would eliminate structural deficit by 2015 and THEY HAVE NOT. The world has not collapsed !

It was said at that time the market will do all sorts of things. Bugger all has happened. The Tories are happily borrowing circa £100 billion per year even now.

As long as Labour gives a reasonable time period , nothing will happen.

• Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Pong said:

Depressingly, I've said pretty much the same thing here on PB - I think Tony Blackburn and Kid Jensen are the only ones standing from the time when TOTP was essential viewing for myself and siblings. #groan
    TOTP repeats will never be the same - jailed, arrested, on trial, bailed, helping police with inquiries. It may just be a series of blank screens.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Carola said:

Response to Morgan more positive all round. She's been meeting with unions re workload - in the 'more focus on actual teaching' sense - and *seems* sincere. Also more positive reception from teachers I know/am in contact with... mainly as she's not slagging us off 24/7. Plus she doesn't seem so fond of twisting stats.

I have also heard from teacher friends that appears to be a human being and not like the other idiot who was always looking for a fight , for the sake of it !
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Hugh said:

Surely the 100% private NHS (that was Lansley, wasn't it?) can choose to open on a Sunday if they so choose - like a supermarket. Supermarket's aren't forced to open on a Sunday - they do it because it is in their own self interest; i.e the profit motive.

They could, but their only contractor (the government) doesn't contract with most of them for 7 day working. Out of Hours companies do that.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    kle4 said:

You Gov

I don't believe that people care. The Tories said they'd eliminate the deficit in 5 years, now it will be 8 (or rather 10), and people don't seem that mad at the delay. So long as the economy picks up and people feel a little better, they won't want to do any more cutting at all, even if they claim otherwise - in theory people want more cuts to spending, but in reality, if we feel ok, it isn't that urgent.
    It's like dieting (or exercising more). We know we have to do it, but we're happy with kicking it a bit more into the future. But we can feel guilty about it. A bit worried that we're not doing the right thing; a bit ashamed.

So ifwe get to choose someone who'll have authority to impose it on us, we're happier with THEM letting us eat just a few snacks more. Or take an extra break. Especially if, given a choice, we've chosen "the tougher one"

Because if we've got the tough one, we feel better inside - that we've been 'good' and self-denying where we should be - and if HE lets us eat a bit more and be less self-denying, it must be okay.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

All of them??

"You know who's had it too easy for too long Dave? The working poor. I'll get 'em"
    If they're working - why are they poor? I've always struggled with that one. I didn't get no benefits when I worked minimum wage.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited September 2014
    MikeK said:
    Is this an old April Fools story? It cannot possibly be real.
  • Options
    Minimum Wage In My Thirties.

I'm flashing my cards.

You can all go home now.
  • Options

Not many posts. Is this thread broken?

There's a limit to what PBers can take of the Tory conference and of defectors.
  • Options
    That was my satire post you've replied to Freggles. I very much admit the difference is subtle.
  • Options

Correctly so, IMO. But you expected that!

I think it's a very well-balanced assessment.
  • Options

MikeK said:
    TBH as someone who is in constant dispute with FirstBus I’ll believe quite a lot bad about them.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    surbiton said:

Carola said:

I have also heard from teacher friends that appears to be a human being and not like the other idiot who was always looking for a fight , for the sake of it !
    She's also a 'mother', as so many in the msm point out. Gove is a father, but that never got a mention, strangely.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

That was my satire post you've replied to Freggles. I very much admit the difference is subtle.

I knew you were teasing about Lansley and privatisation but this is GPs we're talking about, they are private contractors!
  • Options

MikeK said:
    I didn't make it up. The date of the DM is 30th Sept 2014.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I were in a meeting this afternoon, looked at twitter and saw Bill Cash had defected to UKIP and Doctor Fox had been arrested over alleged sexual offences.

I then cursed Mike for going on holiday.

Then looked closer it was Bill Cash, son of Bill Cash MP who had defected, and it was the DJ Doctor Fox who had been arrested.

That was a scary minute in my head.

I can assure you that this Dr Fox is not under investigation by the boys in blue!

But some Foxes misbehave...
  • Options
    Freggles said:

JBriskin said:

I knew you were teasing about Lansley and privatisation but this is GPs we're talking about, they are private contractors!
    Yes, we know. Me and Ms Briskin were discussing this not so long ago - where do they find the time to do their accounts/budgets stuff??? That's not a tease.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    Hugh said:

Yeah, when Labour finally come up with a policy, we'll be able to compare, won't we? At the moment, George Osborne (whom I imagine you are referring to in a particularly puerile way) is the only game in town, and he is making some choices. You might agree or disagree with them, but at least he's laid them out. Labour: Nothing. Nada. Not a sausage.

So we might have to wait and see the full aftershocks of Labour's deficit landing right in the laps of the two Eds. Who are they going to clobber? And how loudly will those poor people squeal when they discover they've been conned into voting Labour (or indeed UKIP)?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Maybe just maybe Cameron is a bit more capable than many on here believe, I have always felt that he has done a fine job given the country he inherited. Can you imagine the position we would be if labour had won.
  • Options
    @Rob_Merrick: Pubs minister Kris Hopkins tells CAMRA meeting he lost his voice at a 'Good Riddance to Reckless You Treacherous Bastard' party #cpc14
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Freggles said:

JBriskin said:

Yes, we know. Me and Ms Briskin were discussing this not so long ago - where do they find the time to do their accounts/budgets stuff??? That's not a tease.

Not sure about single-handed practices, but generally they have Practice Managers who do all the admin, I expect they will handle the finances as well (or at least employ an accounts clerk)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Hopefully the CB didnt tag team young girls. To me to you
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Totti now oldest goalscorer in Champions League.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Maybe just maybe Cameron is a bit more capable than many on here believe, I have always felt that he has done a fine job given the country he inherited. Can you imagine the position we would be if labour had won.
    I don't see that it would have been that bad really. I mean, I don't like the narrative that all the parties are literally the same, but with big savings needed - and we are repeatedly told for 2015 that even if Labour are in denial now about what needs doing, they will end up doing what is needed just in a less planned fashion - you can tweak things here and there, but the biggest savings have to come from areas of biggest expenditure in the end. So what else would have been different? Fewer academies and some differences over welfare? Oh, and the income tax threshold maybe, though I don't know what Labour policy on that was.

• Options
    Did Reckless just have fewer friends than Carswell, or was it that his defection proved the Tories UKIP problem is catastrophic rather than isolated, that has led to him being given so much more crap than Carswell over his defection?
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Freggles said:

JBriskin said:

They employ practice managers. Not sure if nowadays those PM’s are paid for by the NHS as they were, I think, once, but the accounts etc are part of their job. And as a pharmacist once upon a time I had jobs where I used to review prescribing expenditure against “norms” and comment and advise. I had those jobs in, in those days, a Primary Care Trust, and later, on a part-time basis in retirement, a small GP practice.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    IS...Syria..Turkey.

Tomb of Suleyman Shah...worth looking up as it may be of significance shortly.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Rob_Merrick: Pubs minister Kris Hopkins tells CAMRA meeting he lost his voice at a 'Good Riddance to Reckless You Treacherous Bastard' party #cpc14

Why on earth did the Conservatives pick him as a candidate in the first place?

Apparently Peter Oborne hated him so much he campaigned for Labour in 2005, and now everyones calling him all the names under the sun...

• Options
    Incidentally, our Leics PCC has ordered an investigation into suspected grooming and sex abuse cases in Leics.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Police-review-investigations-sexual-abuse/story-23015624-detail/story.html

Good to see a sound PCC in action. Are any other PCC's doing the same?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    kle4 said:

currystar said:

I don't see that it would have been that bad really. I mean, I don't like the narrative that all the parties are literally the same, but with big savings needed - and we are repeatedly told for 2015 that even if Labour are in denial now about what needs doing, they will end up doing what is needed just in a less planned fashion - you can tweak things here and there, but the biggest savings have to come from areas of biggest expenditure in the end. So what else would have been different? Fewer academies and some differences over welfare? Oh, and the income tax threshold maybe, though I don't know what Labour policy on that was.

The coalition government have done much to encourage people to get jobs rather than sit on welfare. Labour would never have done that, they have always produced policies which encourage welfare dependancy
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Why on earth did the Conservatives pick him as a candidate in the first place?

Apparently Peter Oborne hated him so much he campaigned for Labour in 2005, and now everyones calling him all the names under the sun...

I've joined the party.. tremendous title, reckless and treacherous.. sounds about right to me.
  • Options
    [IS...Syria..Turkey.]

The Raf using a footie match for cover again? Cheeky bastards.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

JBriskin said:

Freggles said:

JBriskin said:

Not sure about single-handed practices, but generally they have Practice Managers who do all the admin, I expect they will handle the finances as well (or at least employ an accounts clerk)
    Part-timers, Mr Freggles. Sometimes shared between two (or more) small practices.
  • Options

Incidentally, our Leics PCC has ordered an investigation into suspected grooming and sex abuse cases in Leics.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Police-review-investigations-sexual-abuse/story-23015624-detail/story.html

Stable door being bolted? Or am I being unfair?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kle4 said:

Did Reckless just have fewer friends than Carswell, or was it that his defection proved the Tories UKIP problem is catastrophic rather than isolated, that has led to him being given so much more crap than Carswell over his defection?

Don't let the current narrative fool you, Carswell was accused of theaving party data by the Conservatives, & being a traitor to his constituents etc on here when he first defected, while it was doubted that he would retain his seat until the polls showed him with a 44 point lead...

Then they rumbled it was pointless and left it. Now they act as if it was always the case

If a poll shows Reckless well in the lead in R&S no doubt the slime will be put back in the bucket for the next defector

• Options
    Thanks for the replies re:accounts/Gps. I guess I/we were being naïve. Plus - great card flashing OKC.
  • Options

There seems to have been only isolated cases reported locally, and of course the notorious case of a few years ago involving the boys home.

But good to see an active review is being undertaken, better late than never.
  • Options

Correctly so, IMO. But you expected that!

I think it's a very well-balanced assessment.
    Did you help him write it? ;-)

It's a very good piece of work. it gets better Not sure I'd called it well-balanced, though. It's very sympathetic:

"Similarly, Cameron made a brave decision after the SNP’s 2011 Scottish parliament victory to grasp the nettle and hold a referendum on independence in September 2014. The decision was very much Cameron’s own and was an example of his decisive leadership; many prime ministers could have tried to avoid such a potentially disruptive poll."

What other Prime Minister could have avoided such a poll?

"Cameron possesses many of the qualities that a prime minister needs: he is intellectually very bright, hardworking (despite the media’s perception that he is ‘chillaxed’) and measured. He runs tight meetings, controls the agenda without alienating attenders, and sums up succinctly. He is a good – occasionally great – public speaker, with an exceptional ability to master a brief quickly and to speak off the cuff. He is quick and effective at processing papers in his boxes, which a PM needs to do if he is to cut through the torrent of work and gain the respect of his officials. On foreign policy, he proved to be gifted at forging relationships with overseas leaders, a skill he wasn’t known for previously."

That's somewhat generous.

"‘Cometh the hour, cometh the man’ might well be Cameron’s epitaph. The ‘hour’ was 2010–15; the man, David Cameron."

Hmm...
    currystar said:

I agree that the position, had Labour won, would have been dire indeed.
  • Options
    currystar said:

kle4 said:

currystar said:

The coalition government have done much to encourage people to get jobs rather than sit on welfare. Labour would never have done that, they have always produced policies which encourage welfare dependancy
    So GO wants to make work pay by freezing in work benefits.

You do know most benefits go to those workers whose employers arent prepared to pay sufficient levels of wages. The taxpayer subsidising companies making millions or billions in profits really is a joke.

Of course most of our welfare state payments go to oldies.

• Options
    All the money is for Labour in Heywood & Middleton 1.08-1.09 on Betfair now
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think "Jonah" would be a better description for Oliver Letwin.
    Quite. I've never understood the question to which Oliver Letwin is the answer. He's clever, and personally a charming man. But his political and personal judgement is naive in the extreme, and his competence somewhat variable.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

There seems to have been only isolated cases reported locally, and of course the notorious case of a few years ago involving the boys home.

But good to see an active review is being undertaken, better late than never.
    Fair enough. Agree with you that other PCC’s ought to be doing the same. Must inquire locally.
  • Options
    Todays big announcement re 7 day GPs is unrealistic without more immigration IMO. We cant fill GP training places as it is.

The proportion of GP training places filled in certain parts of the UK has fallen as low as 62% in some areas, calling into serious doubt the Government’s plans to meet targets to increase the GP workforce.

The figures for the August 2014 intake - described by the GPC as ‘the worst ever’ - reveal that 2,564 of positions have been filled in England, representing 87% of those available, which is a decrease on the 2,764 positions filled in August 2013.
This discussion has been closed.