Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to the Tories: Never hate your enemies. It affects you

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to the Tories: Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgement

Since the defection of Mark Reckless to UKIP, I’ve not been surprised at the opprobrium heaped at Mark Reckless from the Tories, mostly because of his timing and his assurances that he wouldn’t defect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Good column. I don't think I've seen a pathological hatred in British politics as much as the one the Tories have for UKIP. I think it comes from a sense of entitlement to the right-wing vote. But as Hannan says, they aren't "our votes", they belong to the people who cast them. Hannan is also right on the potential for a UKIP-Tory alliance in terms of standing aside for each other. The Tories could get a right-wing coalition and Cameron could stay on as PM. But they won't, because they're putting emotion over logic.
  • Options
    FPT

Patrick said:

Only if you worry about the Joneses. My stepsister had a white Capri long bonnet with go-faster stripes and racing seats - coolest 'motor' ever. Doubly cool in fact because it was naff as hell and gave her extra street cred with her Sloaney friends. Was a hoot.

*gasp*

You don't mean she had...she didn't really have...Recaro Fishnet Head Restraints!!!??
    http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=82936

O...M...G...

<...envy...>
  • Options
    On this occasion I'd say this advice is exactly wrong.

The Tories' problem with UKIP is that far too many of them secretly have had a soft spot for the Kippers, seeing them as kin. They first have to learn to hate them before they stand any chance of seeing them off as a threat.

Incidentally, Tories showing that they hate UKIP makes the Tories a lot more attractive to centrist voters sympathetic to their economic approach but alienated by the headbanging right.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited September 2014
    Wise words... Douglas Carswell has been retweeting most of these comments and adding "UKIP voters, this is what the tories think of you"

Mike Smithson seems to think the Tories being angry means they are a bet in Rochester and Strood though.

Seems remarkably similar to Clacton to me, in that UKIP stood aside in 2010 and the defector won handsomely, coupled with UKIP walking the Euros in May of this year

I am probably lacking confidence as the spin says Reckless isn't such a shoo-in, but the data is very similar to Clacton... I think UKIP will win and 8/11 is a bet
  • Options
    You warned us about the bad language but not the bad logic . If he cannot say' Jeremy Hunt' then how can he say it twice?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Yet the Kippers hate the Cons and Cameron even more - enough to make us all suffer 5 years of Ed Miliband and have no referendum.

Why else would they deliberately sabotage their conference with these defections ?

Kippers have been indulged too long frankly.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    There is no bigger hatred than the Labourites have for the Tories. I am not sure it has done them any harm. Even though it nearly split the Union asunder.
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The Tories' problem with UKIP is that far too many of them secretly have had a soft spot for the Kippers, seeing them as kin. They first have to learn to hate them before they stand any chance of seeing them off as a threat.

Incidentally, Tories showing that they hate UKIP makes the Tories a lot more attractive to centrist voters sympathetic to their economic approach but alienated by the headbanging right.

But UKIP won the May Euros in Rochester and Strood.. that means these insults are directed at UKIP voters
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited September 2014
    'fat arse' lol I would have loved to see Cameron call him that. A revival of 'Great Playground Insults' would be much appreciated in this PC age
  • Options
    antifrank said:

"centrist voters sympathetic to their economic approach but alienated by the headbanging right" is the classic misguided insight of someone that spends all their time in certain circles. Centrist voters aren't really like this at all: large majorities support limiting immigration and want the EU as little more than a trade agreement. Centrist voters actually like the right wing on social issues, but feel like the Tories only represent rich people. Anyone that regularly spoke to the working class outside of London would know this.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited September 2014
    antifrank said:

And yet it is clear that this is failing to improve the Tories' fortunes in the polls.

Which rather gives the lie to the much claimed idea that the Tories can win by rejecting their Right wing and gaining votes in the centre. Those votes simply aren't there.
  • Options
    I agree with the main article that some of the anger is counter productive and wrong.

But Reckless's duplicity was on a different scale than Carswell and he attacked his previous party for not strictly following its 2010 manifesto (compromised by coalition) and instead, on principle, joins UKIP a party where its 2010 manifesto has been completely ignored by its current Leader. Where would a UKIP MP be now if they had got elected in 2010? Resigning on the wholesale breaking of all manifesto pledges? Cough... I doubt it.
  • Options
    Good post. I agree. Cameron et al need to be careful not to overdo it. At best it just keeps it in the news. At worst it looks undignified and unedifying, and further turns voters off the Tories.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Whether they hate them or treat them with aloof disdain, all that people not obsessed with politics see is a party that appears divided and can't keep its own MPs on board.

That does not appear to me to be a winning formula.

As for announcements, May is reheating a policy which did not work when it was tried with the IRA, has failed to do what Cameron promised years ago e.g. the banning of Hizb-ut-Tahir and which is not sufficiently focused on preventing the spread of extremism in schools (see the recent references to Trojan Horse problems in Tower Hamlets worse than those found in Birmingham), Osborne has removed a tax which most people didn't even know existed and, er, that's it.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TGOHF said:

Yet the Kippers hate the Cons and Cameron even more - enough to make us all suffer 5 years of Ed Miliband and have no referendum.

Why else would they deliberately sabotage their conference with these defections ?

Many Tories secretly believed kippers were really wayward brothers who will see the light eventually. Fargae is thinking of replacing the Tory party !
  • Options
    Yup, the Tories need voters who have already voted UKIP in the Euros or local elections, they're mad to sound like they're talking down to them.

They should be taking the Richard Nabavi tone, namely:
    1) More in sorrow than anger.
    2) Serious government vs protest politics.

That said, they should absolutely be using anything personal they've got against the defectors (drinking problems etc) pour encourager les autres.
  • Options

I agree with the main article that some of the anger is counter productive and wrong.

But Reckless's duplicity was on a different scale than Carswell and he attacked his previous party for not strictly following its 2010 manifesto (compromised by coalition) and instead, on principle, joins UKIP a party where its 2010 manifesto has been completely ignored by its current Leader. Where would a UKIP MP be now if they had got elected in 2010? Resigning on the wholesale breaking of all manifesto pledges? Cough... I doubt it.

A manifesto is a platform for government. If you're not in government, it no longer applies.
  • Options
    Ps. Wasn't it Edward Heath who said in the 1970s that the Tory party consists of sh*ts, bloody sh*ts and f*ck*ng sh*ts?

No idea which category defectors fall into, but I do get the impression Reckless wasn't universally popular in the Party anyway. The (right wing) Spectator even advised voting against him in Medway in the 2005 general election.
  • Options
    The Tories are hitting out at the psychological malaise that infects the party.James Kirkup picks up on the underlying unresolved anxiety destroying the morale of the Tory party."Who's next ?" to defect is at the back of Tories' minds,the most dreadful uncertainty of sniper fire from their own side.It is no wonder the nasty party is gnashing its teeth and hitting out indiscriminately
    .http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100288177/ukip-defections-the-only-question-being-asked-in-birmingham-is-whos-next/

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    What happens if Dave has to do a deal with UKIP, and Farage sends Reckless and Carswell to negotiate for him? Calling them fruitcakes and racists is bad enough, but to imply your rivals are sexual deviants or perverts doesn't look statesmanlike.
  • Options

FPT

Patrick said:

Only if you worry about the Joneses. My stepsister had a white Capri long bonnet with go-faster stripes and racing seats - coolest 'motor' ever. Doubly cool in fact because it was naff as hell and gave her extra street cred with her Sloaney friends. Was a hoot.

*gasp*

You don't mean she had...she didn't really have...Recaro Fishnet Head Restraints!!!??
    http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=82936

O...M...G...

<...envy...>

Yes I think it was - a LONG time ago but seems very familiar. I envied that car. (Today I want a giant Hummer - just to piss off the watermelons).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

A manifesto is a platform for government. If you're not in government, it no longer applies.
    Farage was one of 3 people signing its 14 pages of text yet felt he was able to deny properly reading it and insulted those inside UKIP who put the work in and would have upset voters if a UKIP MP had got in. This is a very unprofessional way of behaving which is why so many senior folk in UKIP have left the party.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this. The Tories need to start looking as though they are fighting back (winning would be even better!), not just taking blows from the disgruntled and disaffected. Cameron on R4 Today this morning was in feisty form, and we're seeing some good fight-back stuff from Hague, Osborne, May and Boris at the conference. A bit of anger, if not over-done, can be an inspiration and a motivating force.

And, let's face it, there's plenty to be angry about. The self-indulgent antics of Farage and his band risk installing the two Eds in Downing St, and thus wrecking the economy, reversing all the hard-won progress that has been made, and leaving the position with respect to the EU fixed in its current unsatisfactory state. Anger seems an entirely healthy response.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

What happens if Dave has to do a deal with UKIP, and Farage sends Reckless and Carswell to negotiate for him? Calling them fruitcakes and racists is bad enough, but to imply your rivals are sexual deviants or perverts doesn't look statesmanlike.

Talk me through the Parliamentary numbers where the only deal available to the Conservatives is with UKIP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    Many more defections and Labour and LibDem line will be "If you vote Tory you might well get a Kipper!"

And since UKIP is, according all the polls the most disliked party .......
  • Options
    The Tory party is now really two distinct parties: One, a party of business who would insist on remaining in the EU. Example, EEF survey - 85% to 7%

http://www.eef.org.uk/releases/uk/2014/EEF-Survey-–-Manufacturers-remain-overwhelmingly-in-favour-of-remaining-in-EU.htm

This is, of course, diametrically opposite of what many grassroot members want. Secretly, they had been hoping for some pact with UKIP. Until very recently, they could not concieve that the kippers could possibly harm the Tories. After all, they were all from the same family.

Farage needs WWC votes. The name Moseley comes to mind.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Anybody who deals with a serious political opponent by hurling insults is on to a loser.

Engage with UKIP's arguments, surely.
  • Options

I'm not sure about this. The Tories need to start looking as though they are fighting back (winning would be even better!), not just taking blows from the disgruntled and disaffected. Cameron on R4 Today this morning was in feisty form, and we're seeing some good fight-back stuff from Hague, Osborne, May and Boris at the conference. A bit of anger, if not over-done, can be an inspiration and a motivating force.

And, let's face it, there's plenty to be angry about. The self-indulgent antics of Farage and his band risk installing the two Eds in Downing St, and thus wrecking the economy, reversing all the hard-won progress that has been made, and leaving the position with respect to the EU fixed in its current unsatisfactory state. Anger seems an entirely healthy response.

The self-indulgence on display is Cameron refusing to accept a new right-wing party is in town and forming an alliance in order to keep Ed out. But you lot are more interested in spiting those you see as traitors than stopping Labour.

• Options
    antifrank said:

GPWM.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Anybody who deals with a serious political opponent by hurling insults is on to a loser.

Engage with UKIP's arguments, surely.

Er????????
  • Options
    Boris does have seem to have a thing about vacuum cleaners. He's on R4 now talking about the EU ban on more powerful models.
  • Options
    I find it very enlightening that people respond to comments like Ken Clarke's in tones of "it's not sensible to say" rather than "it's wrong". This is ironically nothing other than a form of Political Correctness.

Now we can't say the truth because it's not PC to kippers. Funny I didn't realise they were such fans of PC language in other scenarios.

This is pure hypocrisy.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

dr_spyn said:

Talk me through the Parliamentary numbers where the only deal available to the Conservatives is with UKIP.
    There could , in theory, be a "coalition" or "supply and confidence" based on Tories, SNP / UKIP and DUP.

This, of course, depends on a Lib Dem crash !
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Focused hatred can provide strong motivation.

But whom is the hatred focused upon; UKIP voters or specific individuals?

If the latter, how does your hatred feed into your wider message or vision that will slowly seep into the populus at large?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,322
    edited September 2014
    A good Leader needs to pick his fights carefully, and make sure he wins them.

It seems DC took stock of the Clacton situation and wisely decided not to put more than taken forces into it. It seems he has decided to fight and fight hard in Rochester.

It's far too early to tell whether he has called Rochester right but it is absolutely essential he wins, otherwise UKIP will be all the stronger for having taken on and defeated the enemy at its full force. The consequences so close to an election could be far-reaching.

It seems to me the risks are very great in relation to the potential rewards. UKIP are likely to be fighting off the back of a win in Clacton, quite possibly a rout. And there may be further defections before we get to Rochester.

Brave, Dave, very brave.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Kippers think of the Conservatives what the Yes voters think of the English. One should crush people who hate you, not suck up to them.

"Conan! What is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women."
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

The self-indulgence on display is Cameron refusing to accept a new right-wing party is in town and forming an alliance in order to keep Ed out. But you lot are more interested in spiting those you see as traitors than stopping Labour.

How can you have an alliance with a party which says it wants a referendum on leaving the EU (in fact, will 'do a deal with the devil' to get one in the next parliament), and then does everything in its power to sabotage it?

As Dan Hannan has rightly asked, which bit of the word 'Yes' do these people not understand?

• Options

Socrates said:

Farage was one of 3 people signing its 14 pages of text yet felt he was able to deny properly reading it and insulted those inside UKIP who put the work in and would have upset voters if a UKIP MP had got in. This is a very unprofessional way of behaving which is why so many senior folk in UKIP have left the party.
    Are you saying parties that lose elections and change leaders aren't allowed to change their manifestos?
  • Options
    The moral high ground is firmly with UKIP, certain senior tories should be ashamed of themselves. The reaction in the past 24 hours has shown plenty up for what they are
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jennirsl: Osborne at @thetimes: all elex won on: are you the future, do u have good leader, do u have economic plan? We have all 3. Lab none #cpc14
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

It s the kind of thing I used to do as a teenager when I thought my girlfriend might fancy another bloke

The Tories are looking like David Brent when Neil turned up in the 2nd series of The Office
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The Tory party is now really two distinct parties: One, a party of business who would insist on remaining in the EU. Example, EEF survey - 85% to 7%

http://www.eef.org.uk/releases/uk/2014/EEF-Survey-–-Manufacturers-remain-overwhelmingly-in-favour-of-remaining-in-EU.htm

This is, of course, diametrically opposite of what many grassroot members want. Secretly, they had been hoping for some pact with UKIP. Until very recently, they could not concieve that the kippers could possibly harm the Tories. After all, they were all from the same family.

Farage needs WWC votes. The name Moseley comes to mind.

Again worth pointing out that when polled a decade ago this same organisation found 74% of its members in favour of the UK joining the single currency.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jennirsl: Osborne at @thetimes: all elex won on: are you the future, do u have good leader, do u have economic plan? We have all 3. Lab none #cpc14

Yes, to paraphrase a famous British admiral: I don't say Labour can't win, I say they can't win under Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    The original version of this article began with the headline should the Tory motto be "Farage/Kipper delenda est"
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited September 2014
    However much I might have a grain of sympathy with some Ukip policies I can't get my head around the basic fact their growing popularity will simply result in a Labour victory in 2015 following which any chance of a referendum will be scuppered and inevitable national decline will ensue as Labour tax policy frightens away the exact people and businesses this country needs in the next five years. Come 2020 we'll have a new set of protagonists, a reduced national situation and absolutely no guarantee of an EU referendum - so where's the gain Mr Farage?

• Options
    ‘Don’t get angry, get even’ - would be wise advice for those shooting their mouths off.
  • Options

I find it very enlightening that people respond to comments like Ken Clarke's in tones of "it's not sensible to say" rather than "it's wrong". This is ironically nothing other than a form of Political Correctness.

Now we can't say the truth because it's not PC to kippers. Funny I didn't realise they were such fans of PC language in other scenarios.

This is pure hypocrisy.

What's sensible to say is the entire point of this site. Whether it's true is off-topic.

That said there is another perspective here, which is that there's an inter-Tory factional argument going on. If you're a centrist like Clarke, or probably Boris (although it's hard to say because he's ambitious and it helps to look right-wing) you want the Tories to start drawing stronger lines to distinguish themselves from UKIP. The thin end of that wedge is anger against people who are deliberately trying to hurt the Tories, but the fat end would be speaking up for traditional mainstream Conservative positions like membership of the EU.
  • Options
    Or it was Reckless delenda est
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I was expecting the Nabavi thread...

You're such a trolly troll TSE
  • Options
    Farage = Hannibal.

Won a few battles, but had no credible plan to win the war, and in pursuing a bad plan, ensured the enemy victory.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    What this does all show is that BOO have zero chance of winning a referendum.

To win a referendum, you need to be able to build bridges and reach out so that your support exceeds 50 per cent.

If there is anger & disarray between UKIP and right of the Tory party, then there is no chance of constructing a still wider coalition that can reach out to > 50 per cent of the population.

I suspect when/if this referendum happens, the BOO will not do anywhere near as well as Salmond's 45 per cent.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

dr_spyn said:

who knows what the numbers might be, a continuation of Con / LD might be more to Cameron's taste than Con / UKIP or Con Uncle Tom Cobleigh et al. Yet some Tories do seem to have some sort of anal fixation.
  • Options

This is pure hypocrisy.

What the fuck are you talking about?
  • Options
    If anyone has ever played Risk or Diplomacy (with more than 2 players) they will understand the anger the tories have to UKIP -Why are you attacking me and not him!!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,521
    edited September 2014
    JBriskin said:

I was expecting the Nabavi thread...

You're such a trolly troll TSE

Wait until you see my Indy ref thread later on this week.

That is a master class in political trollinganalysis
  • Options

This is pure hypocrisy.

What's sensible to say is the entire point of this site. Whether it's true is off-topic.

That said there is another perspective here, which is that there's an inter-Tory factional argument going on. If you're a centrist like Clarke, or probably Boris (although it's hard to say because he's ambitious and it helps to look right-wing) you want the Tories to start drawing stronger lines to distinguish themselves from UKIP. The thin end of that wedge is anger against people who are deliberately trying to hurt the Tories, but the fat end would be speaking up for traditional mainstream Conservative positions like membership of the EU.
    Ken Clarke isn't a centrist. He's one of the extreme Europhiles that only has agreement from <10% of the UK population.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Balls, Harman and Miliband will be having a good laugh about all of this. The Tories could well fall apart before May 2015. All we need now is for Cameron to be caught on camera talking about the b*stards within his party. We know from his recent comment about The Queen purring that he has a loose tongue.

If the public don't think the Tories are electable, they will back Labour to a majority, even if they are not offering policies that add up. The electorate showed in 1997 that they will not tolerate a divided party.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It seems DC took stock of the Clacton situation and wisely decided not to put more than taken forces into it. It seems he has decided to fight and fight hard in Rochester.

It's far too early to tell whether he has called Rochester right but it is absolutely essential he wins, otherwise UKIP will be all the stronger for having taken on and defeated the enemy at its full force. The consequences so close to an election could be far-reaching.

It seems to me the risks are very great in relation to the potential rewards. UKIP are likely to be fighting off the back of a win in Clacton, quite possibly a rout. And there may be further defections before we get to Rochester.

Brave, Dave, very brave.

Why would the same people who voted Reckless overwhelmingly as their MP (with no UKIP opposition), who then voted overwhelmingly for UKIP in the locals and Euros (With non Reckless tory opposition) not vote for Reckless as the UKIP candidate?

The only thing stopping this being ridiculous value at 8/11 ( given its similarities to Clacton in almost every way measurable election data wise) is the "Angry Tories" rumour, which smacks of wishful thinking to me

They said the same when Carswell defected, they're just pretending they didn't now because he is going to win so easily... look back at the threads
  • Options
    Norm said:

However much I might have a grain of sympathy with some Ukip policies I can't get my head around the basic fact their growing popularity will simply result in a Labour victory in 2015 following which any chance of a referendum will be scuppered and inevitable national decline will ensue as Labour tax policy frightens away the exact people and businesses this country needs in the next five years. Come 2020 we'll have a new set of protagonists, a reduced national situation and absolutely no guarantee of an EU referendum - so where's the gain Mr Farage?

You seriously expect UKIP to throw in everything they've achieved as a party for the off-chance Cameron can win? The Tories aren't even willing to give up 3% of their seats for a deal that would guarantee them victory...
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    isam said:

dr_spyn said:

It s the kind of thing I used to do as a teenager when I thought my girlfriend might fancy another bloke

The Tories are looking like David Brent when Neil turned up in the 2nd series of The Office
    Are you serious

The pure anger shown by Kippers on here when anyone dare criticise the glorious Nigel is venomous. And you moan when the tories get angry with someone who has spent the last few months lying continuosly to his local party and costing them £1000s in wasted leaflets.

Take a look at some of your and your ilks comments over the last few months, you lot should be the last to criticize.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

antifrank said:

dr_spyn said:

who knows what the numbers might be, a continuation of Con / LD might be more to Cameron's taste than Con / UKIP or Con Uncle Tom Cobleigh et al. Yet some Tories do seem to have some sort of anal fixation.
    My point is that if David Cameron has options on a coalition, Nigel Farage will not be able to make 5am calls to him to make his demands. It's hard to see how the only coalition option would be Conservative/UKIP.
  • Options

To win a referendum, you need to be able to build bridges and reach out so that your support exceeds 50 per cent.

If there is anger & disarray between UKIP and right of the Tory party, then there is no chance of constructing a still wider coalition that can reach out to > 50 per cent of the population.

I suspect when/if this referendum happens, the BOO will not do anywhere near as well as Salmond's 45 per cent.

Absolutely. Farage knows this and is desperate for there to be no such referendum, since at that point, his comedy career is over. He's a pure Establishment figure, occupying a niche because it's there.

UKIP resembles the Labour Party in that way. Both have long since lost sight of their original purpose, and now exist simply to perpetuate themselves. Labour therefore stands for bad education, a bloated public sector, and limitless third world immigration, because this is what buys them their votes. UKIP stands for a referendum on EU membership tomorrow.
  • Options
    isam said:

Brave, Dave, very brave.

Why would the same people who voted Reckless overwhelmingly as their MP (with no UKIP opposition), who then voted overwhelmingly for UKIP in the locals and Euros (With non Reckless tory opposition) not vote for Reckless as the UKIP candidate?

The only thing stopping this being ridiculous value at 8/11 ( given its similarities to Clacton in almost every way measurable election data wise) is the "Angry Tories" rumour, which smacks of wishful thinking to me

They said the same when Carswell defected, they're just pretending they didn't now because he is going to win so easily... look back at the threads
    People tend to vote for parties though. And if people do vote for personalities they do not think being disloyal is a good quality
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Norm said:

You seriously expect UKIP to throw in everything they've achieved as a party for the off-chance Cameron can win? The Tories aren't even willing to give up 3% of their seats for a deal that would guarantee them victory...
    What has UKIP achieved?

Can you list, say, five accomplishments that have flowed from having UKIP MEPs, for example? Or one clearly beneficial thing that one of those MEPs has accomplished?
  • Options

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    Establishing themselves as the third biggest political party in the UK.
  • Options
    Interesting BBC piece on what is apparently becoming seen as a major issue in Clacton. Nothing to do with Europe and if immigration is important, then it's favourable.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29374081,
  • Options
    @antifrank Hard not to disagree, but much depends on numbers May 2015. UKIP could remain a busted flush after the votes come in.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    So that's the end in itself, is it? I thought so, too. As I said above:

UKIP resembles the Labour Party in that way. Both have long since lost sight of their original purpose, and now exist simply to perpetuate themselves. Labour therefore stands for bad education, a bloated public sector, and limitless third world immigration, because this is what buys them their votes. UKIP stands for a referendum on EU membership tomorrow.
  • Options

isam said:

Brave, Dave, very brave.

People tend to vote for parties though. And if people do vote for personalities they do not think being disloyal is a good quality
    They voted for UKIP in May in Rochester and Strood, that's the point.

You cant count on loyalty to a party when they've already voted for someone else
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Exactly so - it's about their egos, not about actually achieving what they claim are their political goals (which in any case change from one day to the next).
  • Options
    currystar said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you serious

The pure anger shown by Kippers on here when anyone dare criticise the glorious Nigel is venomous. And you moan when the tories get angry with someone who has spent the last few months lying continuosly to his local party and costing them £1000s in wasted leaflets.

Take a look at some of your and your ilks comments over the last few months, you lot should be the last to criticize.
    I cant remember particularly praising Farage on here to be honest.. feel free to check

Was it you that said I was a hypocrite for not wanting repatriation of immigrants?
  • Options

Well said - as we have recently seen in Scotland, in order to exceed the magic 50%, the party message must appeal to a wider vote than just it's core members. As a BOOer, if things remain as is, I think it unlikely an 'out' vote would win, unfortunately.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Brave, Dave, very brave.

You cant count on loyalty to a party when they've already voted for someone else
    You know as well as I do that euro elections are different to general elections. Even I have voted UKIP in euro elections in the past
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    Would that be on the number of MPs or local councillors?
  • Options
    currystar said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you serious

Clearly untrue since I criticise Farage almost daily and get no abuse for it. Many of the Tories on here are utter hypocrites and generally much prefer to smear than to have a constructive argument.

It is notable that we can have a far more reasoned and informed discussion with Labour or non - party contributors who do not tend to throw insults than we can with many Tories (with some honorable exceptions.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Brave, Dave, very brave.

You know as well as I do that euro elections are different to general elections. Even I have voted UKIP in euro elections in the past
    So people tend to vote for parties.. except when they vote for other parties

People used exactly the same excuse in Clacton when I cited the Euros there as evidence that Carswell was a very good thing to win
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    On the number of voters that support them - the most important measure of party strength.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited September 2014

Brave, Dave, very brave.

Losing one MP to UKIP can be written off as the actions of a quirky and misguided individual. Losing two MPs to UKIP begins to look like a pattern.

Regardless of whether Rochester is an easier seat for the Tories to hold against UKIP than Clacton, at some point the Tories have to be seen to fight. Better to do so now, with the second defector, than later with the third or fourth.

What's the line from the film "The American President"? "Oh, you only fight the fights you can win? You fight the fights that need fighting!"
  • Options

Socrates said:

Exactly so - it's about their egos, not about actually achieving what they claim are their political goals (which in any case change from one day to the next).
    Political goals will come once we are in government. It's not something you contract out to a leader of another party that hates you and has utterly failed to deliver in the past.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Sorry to be pedantic : Robert / anyone else relevant: there is a blank pixel between what I assume is a header image and the main page background that keeps making me think I've broken my tablet.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    On the number of voters that support them - the most important measure of party strength.
    Not under the British electoral system it isn't.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    So that's the end in itself, is it? I thought so, too. As I said above:

No, it is what is necessary to achieve on the way to government. Look at the SNP if you can't grasp this.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    Long-term it is. UKIP clearly have more of a future than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Political goals will come once we are in government. It's not something you contract out to a leader of another party that hates you and has utterly failed to deliver in the past.
    UKIP actually have had an achievement and that is to force the tories to offer a referendum . Its ironic that UKIP will now throw this away by splitting the anti-EU vote and allow in a labour government
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Grandiose said:

Sorry to be pedantic : Robert / anyone else relevant: there is a blank pixel between what I assume is a header image and the main page background that keeps making me think I've broken my tablet.

Ha ha ha - Classic TSE!!!

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    Quite you've said it.. The growth of their party is everything - problem is they will never supplant the Tories for the reasons aired often enough on PB, at least all the while the Tories wish to remain the main centre right party. If the Tories went to the centre and amalgamated with the Lib Dems maybe there would be space on the right but is that seriously ever going to happen?. Only PR can change the game and make a Tory/UKIP coalition possible, under FPTP UKIP is a spoiler party, nothing more.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    Long-term it is. UKIP clearly have more of a future than the Lib Dems.
    Two unsupported assertions in a single post with no other content. That's impressive, even by your standards.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

currystar said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you serious

Clearly untrue since I criticise Farage almost daily and get no abuse for it. Many of the Tories on here are utter hypocrites and generally much prefer to smear than to have a constructive argument.

It is notable that we can have a far more reasoned and informed discussion with Labour or non - party contributors who do not tend to throw insults than we can with many Tories (with some honorable exceptions.
    So you are on here most days and you have never seen a Kipper write a venomous attack on anyone who has criticized Farage or UKIP?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    @antifrank hits the nail squarely on the head with this comment. Having watched the way the SNP operate up here in Scotland, the similarities to UKIP when it comes to peddling very nasty and divisive politics is quite stark. The Conservative party needs to not only get angry, it needs to stand up and speak for the silent majority in the centre/centre right rather than pander to the very angry and noisy minority on the far right who now sit in the UKIP tent.
    antifrank said:

• Options
    currystar said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you serious

Arf, nail on head Mr currystar - the myopia by some kippers is quite a sight.. ; )
  • Options

I agree - nothing wrong with a bit of anger - especially with those who profess to want similar things to you, but then go about sabotaging it - its the old Tory story of those who would prefer the perfect purity of powerless opposition to the pragmatists who want power to get the job done. Which one was Thatcher?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Political goals will come once we are in government.
    I'd actually vote Labour to stop that happening.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    antifrank said:

Two unsupported assertions in a single post with no other content. That's impressive, even by your standards.

Does this really have to be spelt out? The long-term survival of elected officials is entirely dependent on having a large base of support in the electorate. Because voters elect representatives, not the other way round. Thus voters are the most important base. If you look at the emergence of every new party: Labour, the SNP etc, has started with getting the popular base there first.

EDIT: And your post that I was responding to was an assertion with no other content! Greenhouses etc.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Norm said:

What has UKIP achieved?
    That's fixable. The Tories should come around to PR partway through Ed Miliband's third term.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Are you saying parties that lose elections and change leaders aren't allowed to change their manifestos?
    Just saying that you cannot trust a man who signs up to 14 pages and then turns round and denounces it all a few months later. But if you are comfortable with that type of Leader, then you will have nothing to complain about each and every time he changes policies. It falls under the "cult of the Leader".
  • Options

Brave, Dave, very brave.

Losing one MP to UKIP can be written off as the actions of a quirky and misguided individual. Losing two MPs to UKIP begins to look like a pattern.

Regardless of whether Rochester is an easier seat for the Tories to hold against UKIP than Clacton, at some point the Tories have to be seen to fight. Better to do so now, with the second defector, than later with the third or fourth.

What's the line from the film "The American President"? "Oh, you only fight the fights you can win? You fight the fights that need fighting!"
    In that case, Obitus, I'd say the Conservatives should have started fighting the Eurosceptics a long, long time ago - back when they had to choose between Clarke and IDS as a leader, say.

But better late than never.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Oh Thatcher was definitely a pragmatist, she would rather be fixing the problems from a position of power rather than howling at the moon from the Opposition benches lamenting the fact that if only the party went more rightwards.

I agree - nothing wrong with a bit of anger - especially with those who profess to want similar things to you, but then go about sabotaging it - its the old Tory story of those who would prefer the perfect purity of powerless opposition to the pragmatists who want power to get the job done. Which one was Thatcher?

• Options
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Does this really have to be spelt out? The long-term survival of elected officials is entirely dependent on having a large base of support in the electorate. Because voters elect representatives, not the other way round. Thus voters are the most important base. If you look at the emergence of every new party: Labour, the SNP etc, has started with getting the popular base there first.
    These are not your votes, they belong to the people that cast them. Someone mentioned that downthread and it was a smart observation.

I have a strong faith in the fundamental decency of the British public, and they will continue decisively rejecting the hatred, bitterness and parochialism that UKIP represent, fortunately.
  • Options
    currystar said:

currystar said:

isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Are you serious

So you are on here most days and you have never seen a Kipper write a venomous attack on anyone who has criticized Farage or UKIP?
    Nothing that even comes close to the sort of vitriol poured on any Kipper who dares to attack the blessed Dave. The party fanatics are there on both sides. The sense of self righteous indignation and belief that they have a natural right to all Right wing votes is the preserve of the Tories.
This discussion has been closed.