Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on The Curse of the Paisley Pyjamas

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on The Curse of the Paisley Pyjamas

If you would like to purchase one of Marf’s prints or originals, please contact her here.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Why I love Boris

James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers · 9m

Boris Johnson: those defecting to UKIP sort of people who go to hospital with 'barely credible injuries' caused by 'vacuum cleaners' #CPC14
  • Options
    Yay, I was first.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

Yay, I was first.

As ever, we're all just soaking up the genius that is Marf.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Why I love Boris

Boris Johnson: those defecting to UKIP sort of people who go to hospital with 'barely credible injuries' caused by 'vacuum cleaners' #CPC14

Wasn't only yesterday that a Tory MP was wanting to insert a red hot poker up the rear of some defecting Tories. Perhaps the late Sigmund Freud might have had something to say about them being at an anal unretentive stage.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Why I love Boris

Well he'd know.

• Options
    Jeez, I didn't know this guy was wearing paisley pyjamas!

That's too much. He had to resign.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

Wasn't only yesterday that a Tory MP was wanting to insert a red hot poker up the rear of some defecting Tories. Perhaps the late Sigmund Freud might have had something to say about them being at an anal unretentive stage.

Well that was temperate language to what Dave and I have been saying

The Prime Minister toured the regional receptions getting steadily more pumped up in his anger about Reckless’s duplicity. Rumour is rife the words ‘effing Reckless’, ‘fat arse’ and ‘dick head’ were blurted out in various versions of a tub-thumping turn by Cameron.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2014/09/angry-daves-jibe-at-fat-arse-reckless/
  • Options

Has Tory sleaze made paisley pyjamas sexy? Marks & Spencer sells out after Brooks Newmark scandal

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/28/has-tory-sleaze-made-paisley-pyjamas-sexy-marks-spencer-sells-out-after-brooks-newmark-scandal-4885274/
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Paisley pyjamas?

Two questions:

1) Why would ANYONE wear them?

2) What is the political significance? I assume there is some...
  • Options
    Bev-

1 - They ran out of tartan ones in the shop

2 - Apparently he has no nause
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2014
    Jonathan said:

Why I love Boris

Well he'd know.

Do we know if the Mirror freelancer tried to trap Boris?....I mean if I was going to set up such a sting of all the currently well known Tories, I have no idea why Boris would come top of my likely to succeed list...
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    JBriskin said:

Bev-

Thanks......
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PhilipDaviesMP: @MSmithsonPB I am delighted to be contributing to Ladbrokes profits! I usually contribute to them with my money!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

The Prime Minister toured the regional receptions getting steadily more pumped up in his anger about Reckless’s duplicity. Rumour is rife the words ‘effing Reckless’, ‘fat arse’ and ‘dick head’ were blurted out in various versions of a tub-thumping turn by Cameron.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2014/09/angry-daves-jibe-at-fat-arse-reckless/
    Slimline Dave?

Surprised he never called him baldy
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Given that millions have deserted the Tories since 2010,no wonder hospitals are full up!
  • Options

I know. Wearing pyjamas in so unmanly.
  • Options
    Why wouldn't Priti Patel be next to defect?

Dads a kipper, and when I last saw her interviewed she was almost speaking KIppernese!

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Iain Dale says, Stand by your beds.

Well, we are standing and waiting.

Stand by your beds!
    Here comes the Air Vice-Marshal,
    he's got some rings on his arm
    but he's only got one arsehole
  • Options
    As The Tories are in Brum, will the kipper tie joke be rerun?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    JBriskin said:

Bev-

What is a nause?

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    According to Iain Martin, Cameron regards Salmond as 'bagged, stuffed and mounted on my wall.' Dave really is full of delusional bravado. He plays virtually no part in the referendum campaign and then treats the result, far closer than many expected, as a personal triumph. Perhaps we should feel sorry for Dave. Given he couldn't win in 2010 and has not much chance next year either, perhaps this is the closest he'll ever come to a real political victory.

So who can blame him for wanting Salmond bagged stuffed and mounted on his wall? He should be reminded though that he was too much of a feeble weakling to go and kill the beast himself and needed others to do it for him. Given his Downton Abbey mindset, having others do things for him probably seems so natural that he doesn't get how silly he looks.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

Is Shadsy running a book on quotes for inclusion in Cameron's speech?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

JBriskin said:

Bev-

What is a nause?

I mean Nous-

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/nous
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    isam said:

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

Slimline Dave?

Surprised he never called him baldy
    "Mr. Reckless, your mother was a hamster. I wave my private parts in your general direction."
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why I love Boris

Well he'd know.

Do we know if the Mirror freelancer tried to trap Boris?....I mean if I was going to set up such a sting of all the currently well known Tories, I have no idea why Boris would come top of my likely to succeed list...
    He wouldn't need to send pictures of his genitalia, as they're already so well known.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Any sign of Ian Dale's Defection?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited September 2014
    Saw Boy George on telly this evening. Looking sharp, but has he had botox?

Hmmmmmm....
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

I suspect a line such as 'We won't be reckless with the recovery' might well crop up.
  • Options
    We want to make a new mark on politics.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

Cameron insulting people on their weight isn't something likely to impress the voters.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

We want to make a new mark on politics.

We'll stand firm on the deficit to avoid exposing Britain to the danger of insolvency.
  • Options
    isam said:

Dads a kipper, and when I last saw her interviewed she was almost speaking KIppernese!

She would be a fantastic addition. Can't see it happening though.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

Describing Mark Reckless as "fanny features."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,204
    edited September 2014
    Paisley pattern & the other Tory connection (with added exposure).

'Rear Window: Why Alan Clark is rich: Three generations prosper on the fruits of the spool

HOW DID Alan Clark, the former Tory minister, acquire a castle in Kent, a couple of farms in the West Country, a chalet in Zermatt, 27,000 acres of Highland estate, a fine collection of old paintings and cars, and a reputation for carefree '18th-century behaviour' which was last week embellished with allegations of him exposing himself to a 13-year-old girl? How did Mr Clark come to be worth, by his own estimate, pounds 20m?

...Demand for thread increased enormously with the invention of the domestic sewing machine in the United States in the 1840s. Around the same time came the collapse of the Paisley shawl industry, which had flooded Europe with its machine- made imitations of the original Kashmir pattern. It was simply a whim of fashion. Shawls were out. It meant, however, that Paisley had large supplies of cheap female labour. The Clarks prospered, overcame American protectionism by opening a factory in New Jersey, and by the second half of the century were making profits so large that they could give their native town a new town hall and bequests ranging from bowling greens to the Annie Clark Fund for Incurables.'

http://tinyurl.com/qy5omgs
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Any sign of Ian Dale's Defection?

Please no! I'd almost be tempted to cross back over the other way.

Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Ah!
    Anyway, nice one Marf. But, really, as Richard Feynman's first wife said to him: " What do you care what other people think?"
  • Options
    Douglas not a happy bunny

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell · 29m
    From the party that once produced Margaret Thatcher .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773868/Boris-building-Cameron-prepares-parade-star-player-Tory-conference-quell-UKIP-jitters.html

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell · 24m
    This is what they think of people who vote UKIP. This is how they see you. They aren't on your side http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773868/Boris-building-Cameron-prepares-parade-star-player-Tory-conference-quell-UKIP-jitters.html

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2014
    This article is a remarkably calm look at Ashcroft's surveys. Of 20 LD seats researched 14 would be lost. This does point to LD losses in the range of 30 of their 57 seats.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/ashcrofts-poll-of-lib-dem-battleground-seats-incumbency-is-alive-and-well-but-2015-will-be-a-survival-election-for-the-party-42613.html

But, nothing much to look at here, "incumbency will save us", except that this researches the likely result with incumbency.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Why I love Boris

"Forget" must be odds on.

• Options
    The Spanish Constitutional Court has declared the proposed Catalan independence referendum on 9th November illegal. Not a surprise, but now the fun and games begin. I expect an election will be called in Catalonia with the current government seeking a mandate for independence. That won't work either.
  • Options
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Boris reminds me of Quintin Hogg in his bell-ringing days at the 1964 election I think.
  • Options
    This was an interesting line by Boris:

"We want sensible control of the number of people coming in. It is the right and the duty of every state to have some idea of how many people want to settle in its boundaries, what jobs they propose to do there and how much it is going to cost its local authorities.’"

So immigration is on Cameron's repatriation list.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Douglas not a happy bunny

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell · 29m
    From the party that once produced Margaret Thatcher .... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773868/Boris-building-Cameron-prepares-parade-star-player-Tory-conference-quell-UKIP-jitters.html

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell · 24m
    This is what they think of people who vote UKIP. This is how they see you. They aren't on your side http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2773868/Boris-building-Cameron-prepares-parade-star-player-Tory-conference-quell-UKIP-jitters.html

Every time I see Boris these days he seems to look and behave more and more like Mr Blobby

http://thegaffer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/o-MR-BLOBBY-570.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

"We want sensible control of the number of people coming in. It is the right and the duty of every state to have some idea of how many people want to settle in its boundaries, what jobs they propose to do there and how much it is going to cost its local authorities.’"

When Immigration is the biggest concern in the country (according to Mori) the Tories are not going to say it isn't on their list now are they?
  • Options

This article is a remarkably calm look at Ashcroft's surveys. Of 20 LD seats researched 14 would be lost. This does point to LD losses in the range of 30 of their 57 seats.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/ashcrofts-poll-of-lib-dem-battleground-seats-incumbency-is-alive-and-well-but-2015-will-be-a-survival-election-for-the-party-42613.html

But, nothing much to look at here, "incumbency will save us", except that this researches the likely result with incumbency.

What really stuck me was Populus finding that the Lib Dems have lost 72% of their support from 2010. If that's repeated on the day, they'll get a 1959 or 1970-type result.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

A couple of weeks ago we were discussing rail services in Lincolnshire. It turns out that the abysmal Lincoln to Nottingham service (via Grantham) is being bolstered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29391904
  • Options
    Does anyone still wear pyjamas?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    isam said:

Her own ambition within the Tory party.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    edited September 2014
    Even for the professionals it might be hard to fake belief that they can win it, which doubtless could affect his enthusiasm and vigour.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    This UKIP defection is taking its time. Very boring. Wondering if we are going to see an entirely coincidental surprise promotion to the cabinet or knighthood soon.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Shipley MP Philip Davies insists he has no plans to follow MP pal by defecting to UKIP

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/airelocal/11501027.Shipley_MP_Philip_Davies_insists_he_has_no_plans_to_follow_MP_pal_by_defecting_to_UKIP/

That was 16 hours ago though ;-)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

JackW does.

Ooops....shouldn't have said.

• Options
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick · 2h
    Former Ukip Treasurer Stuart Wheeler tells me Mark Reckless wasn't one of the 6-7 Tories with whom he had lunch to get them to defect

• Options

Off-topic:

A couple of weeks ago we were discussing rail services in Lincolnshire. It turns out that the abysmal Lincoln to Nottingham service (via Grantham) is being bolstered.

Not via Grantham (which would make no sense). Via Newark which is a straight line.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

What really stuck me was Populus finding that the Lib Dems have lost 72% of their support from 2010. If that's repeated on the day, they'll get a 1959 or 1970-type result.
    Maybe, but unlikely. But we have a party expecting/hoping to have 40+ seats and thinking that worst case it will be 35 and then reality is that it will be in the range of 27 .... Most LD expectations are way out of line with the probable result. Conservatives probably expect a low of 280 and a high of 340. The probable result looks to be within their range of expectations. Labour similarly hope for 350 and expect a minimum of 290.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

At what point I wonder will he admit you can't have 'sensible control' as long as we remain inside the EU?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    If we do get another tory MP to defect,wouldn't the best time to do it,just before Cameron makes his tory conference speech ?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    felix said:

Boris reminds me of Quintin Hogg in his bell-ringing days at the 1964 election I think.

oi!
  • Options

If we do get another tory MP to defect,wouldn't the best time to do it,just before Cameron makes his tory conference speech ?

What if Cameron introduces one of the many UKIP people who have fallen out with Farage? Some ex UKIP Chairmen, some ex UKIP Leaders?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    antifrank said:

Pretty much any guerilla movement that has sent the US packing over the last 50 years has worn items with a pyjama-like quality. That, sandals and some kind of non-military headwear seem to be prominent factors.

If the US did intervention assessments based on those 3 factors they'd save themselves plenty of trouble.

They should not, therefore, attempt an attack on West Belfast around 8.30-8.45am on weekdays, that place is full of pyjama mamas delivering their kids to school.

• Options

Socrates said:

At what point I wonder will he admit you can't have 'sensible control' as long as we remain inside the EU?
    What if that was made part of the terms? A long shot - but Cameron etc may want to stay in power badly enough....

• Options

What if Cameron introduces one of the many UKIP people who have fallen out with Farage? Some ex UKIP Chairmen, some ex UKIP Leaders?
    It will look petty, small, and obsessed with a party who have no MPs.
  • Options
    Farage and his people really know how to undermine the Tory conference.

Boris is ranting like some meths soaked London vagrant, Dale's calling another defection, everyone and his grannie in the Tory party is denying they are defecting Kippers are adding hints that further confuse the issue and no one has a clue who might defect next yet everyone is expecting another defection.

Meanwhile the Tory message sinks without a trace.....

This is even more of a coup than the UKIP conference!
  • Options

An ex UKIP leader is already standing against Farage in South Thanet

The conservatives teamed up with the SWP in Rochester on Sunday so maybe they could get Alan Sked on board?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Even for the professionals it might be hard to fake belief that they can win it, which doubtless could affect his enthusiasm and vigour.
    Osborne's biographer Janan was painting an "election to lose" picture today.
  • Options
    @Conservatives: Nigel Farage is just making it up as he goes along.

RT this to let friends know. http://t.co/boJlnh0Phw
  • Options

Socrates said:

What if that was made part of the terms? A long shot - but Cameron etc may want to stay in power badly enough....

What you mean like the UKIP reject whose been selected to fight Farage in Thanet South?
  • Options
    isam said:

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick · 2h
    Former Ukip Treasurer Stuart Wheeler tells me Mark Reckless wasn't one of the 6-7 Tories with whom he had lunch to get them to defect

I think Reckless did a wannabe funny on WATO about "what I would say to SW if he asked me to lunch" on that story back in the summer.

• Options

Socrates said:

What you mean like the UKIP reject whose been selected to fight Farage in Thanet South?
    There are many others. Farage has a high ability at falling out with people. He is better at that than the maligned Cameron.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Scott_P said:

Haha that'll win em back!

A bit like "Decide or decline"... it doesn't even really make sense: Farage wasn't the one who said it in the first place

Who is in charge of these useless tweets? Not the same dud who thought up bingo gate?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336
    edited September 2014
    Surely the point of Osborne's speech was to compare and contrast the reality that he is seeking to deal with and the complete fantasy of what we saw at the Labour party conference. It wasn't supposed to be uplifting, it was supposed to show that there are serious problems that only a serious party can deal with. After all when did we last have a Chancellor who, in the party conference before the election, was promising another £25bn of cuts in spending?

Whether this will work as a strategy is harder to determine. The Scottish referendum suggests that, notwithstanding our bizarre and innumerate media, there is ultimately a majority in favour of sanity and reality. Not the loudest part of the population perhaps but there none the less.

Labour's determined refusal to engage with planet earth should make Osborne's job a little easier. We shall see.
  • Options

It will look petty, small, and obsessed with a party who have no MPs.
    Well they certainly are obsessed with UKIP after all, so it would be appripriate. Despite plenty of UKIP supporters not caring if Ed M becomes PM as a result of costing the Tories seats, and UKIP trying to appeal to Labour votes as well as Tory ones, it's amazing how many Tory MPs and pundits still act as though UKIP are not opponents to be faced (if ones with some views they agree with), but people they need to ally with despite no current wish from UKIP to do so.

manofkent is right, this might as well be a UKIP conference, it is entirely defined by them and all anyone will remember about it will be defections and bitter attempts to forestall defections.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Very true, often the cause of his numerous bust ups with others in UKIP.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Scott_P said:

Now I remember back in 2007 when the Tories were developing their policy portfolio there were things like car parking charges in Supermarkets which were similarly dumped in days. Of course there was also Minimum Alcohol Pricing which got slaughtered at the time so Cameron dropped it but the thick twerp decided it was a good idea and tried to bring it back when in power only to have to drop it again.

At least with UKIP their leader can spot an dodgy policy!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

As The Tories are in Brum, will the kipper tie joke be rerun?

If a party goes to the desolate north and someone goes for war drums can someone let me know that it's happened. Thanks

• Options

Scott_P said:

Now I remember back in 2007 when the Tories were developing their policy portfolio there were things like car parking charges in Supermarkets. Of course there was also Minimum Alcohol Pricing which got slaughtered at the time so Cameron dropped it but the thick twerp decided it was a good idea and tried to bring it back when in power only to have to drop it again.

It would be quite good if the UKIP leader could actually remember what the policies in his manifesto are... He didn't do so well with this last time out.
  • Options
    cluedont ‏@cluedont · 14m
    Hey @realDonaldTrump, wanna feel old? This is what the baby on Nirvana's Nevermind album cover looks like now. pic.twitter.com/ekBSiFwOR5

• Options

Off-topic:

Not via Grantham (which would make no sense). Via Newark which is a straight line.
    Ahem. You are, of course, correct. One of the reasons I posted it was that I believe you are from the Newark area, yet I wrote Grantham. Too little alcohol, methinks, a problem that will be easily rectified shortly ...
  • Options
    @GaryGibbonBlog: Osborne benefits freeze: political genius or death wish? http://t.co/FvdOY4m47o #c4news
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

A bit like "Decide or decline"... it doesn't even really make sense: Farage wasn't the one who said it in the first place

"Decide or decline" doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't follow your follow up - if someone on the Tory or Labour front benches announced something, or indicated something was to be policy, and the Leader then shot that down, it would be portrayed as chaos in the ranks or the leader testing the waters through their subordinate and then changing their mind. Either way, to be critcised. So the only question is whether the other guy is the economy spokesman (I haven't checked yet), capable of making such an announcement for his party which one would reasonably assume the Leader would be aware of, and was he just musing about the idea or formally announcing it.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

Now I remember back in 2007 when the Tories were developing their policy portfolio there were things like car parking charges in Supermarkets which were similarly dumped in days. Of course there was also Minimum Alcohol Pricing which got slaughtered at the time so Cameron dropped it but the thick twerp decided it was a good idea and tried to bring it back when in power only to have to drop it again.

Like restoring between the wars train livery? And uniforms for taxi drivers? A flat rate of tax?

I hope they are all back in the 2015 manifesto?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    There are many many names to select from folk who fell out with Farage over his Leadership "style". A couple rejoined, a few went to jail after being recommended to be UKIP candidates by Farage. My own favourite was Petrina Holdsworth Chairman of UKIP. Whose fault was to try and professionalise UKIP and get the UKIP MEPs to contribute to the parties funds...... That really did upset Farage!

http://ukip-vs-eukip.com/ukip-members-quit/

There is also the heroic Lechlade group that tried to bring in an element of democracy into the UKIP policy making....
  • Options
    FYI The Lechlade Group was an independent group of UKIP members named after their occasional Cotswold meeting place. Unable to endure any longer the way in which the leadership ‘Cabal’ ignored the rank and file.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

And of course we do not need to mention Steve Hilton being at the heart of Government now do we?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@GaryGibbonBlog: Osborne benefits freeze: political genius or death wish? http://t.co/FvdOY4m47o #c4news

On first look it did not look smart to only save £3bn and upset 10 million. A form of 2012 pasty tax. But we will see how this plays out. The papers fell for the death tax fix to a problem that Osborne partly created.....
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Scott_P said:

Like restoring between the wars train livery? And uniforms for taxi drivers? A flat rate of tax?

They are as likely to reappear as Steve Hilton's idea to boost the economy by axing maternity pay.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

You'd think that the remaining LDs would be resolute partisans. But today's Ashcroft poll, which has the LDs on 8%, finds only 27% of those will definitely vote LD, 73% "might end up voting differently".

That's a LD core vote of 2%.

twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/516605869854048256
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

antifrank said:

JackW does.

Ooops....shouldn't have said.

Mind boggles ! How do you know ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Surely the point of Osborne's speech was to compare and contrast the reality that he is seeking to deal with and the complete fantasy of what we saw at the Labour party conference. It wasn't supposed to be uplifting, it was supposed to show that there are serious problems that only a serious party can deal with. After all when did we last have a Chancellor who, in the party conference before the election, was promising another £25bn of cuts in spending?

Whether this will work as a strategy is harder to determine. The Scottish referendum suggests that, notwithstanding our bizarre and innumerate media, there is ultimately a majority in favour of sanity and reality. Not the loudest part of the population perhaps but there none the less.

Labour's determined refusal to engage with planet earth should make Osborne's job a little easier. We shall see.

It sounds to me the manifesto of someone who expects to be in government and wants to be honest with the electorate.

There is no real alternative to tackling the deficit in the next parliament, as even Ed Balls knows.
  • Options
    I don't get the politics of Osborne's speech today.

I understand that he wants to:

- Paint Labour as the 'welfare party'
    - Argue that further austerity is needed to balance the books
    - Show the Tories will make 'tough decisions'

The speech in political terms will help bolster these strengths. But it does nothing to address the weakness that people see the Conservatives as out of touch, only caring about the rich and as not valuing public services.

The government was popular up until the 2012 budget. Why? Because people genuinely believed the 'we're all in this together' line. They believed the national interest line. But cutting taxes for the wealthy made people think that while they were suffering the rich were not.

If the budget deficit is the most important danger facing the country then why use money providing a big tax cuts to wealthy pensioners while cutting support for young people? All it does is reinforce the Conservative's negatives.

They should look at Angela Merkel. The most successful Conservative politician in the world. She wins by dominating the centre and being seen as a leader for all Germans, not just the rich.

If the Tories hadn't cut the 50p tax rate and introduced temporary tax increases on the rich as part of a national effort to eliminate the deficit - as suggested by Tim Montgomery - they would be strolling to re-election and in a position to deliver tax cuts in a 2nd term.

Instead they have reinforced their negatives for another generation of voters. From someone who is supposedly an expert strategist I just don't get the strategy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

"Decide or decline" doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't follow your follow up - if someone on the Tory or Labour front benches announced something, or indicated something was to be policy, and the Leader then shot that down, it would be portrayed as chaos in the ranks or the leader testing the waters through their subordinate and then changing their mind. Either way, to be critcised. So the only question is whether the other guy is the economy spokesman (I haven't checked yet), capable of making such an announcement for his party which one would reasonably assume the Leader would be aware of, and was he just musing about the idea or formally announcing it.

He is the economy spokesman and he said something like " I want to investigate the feasibility of introducing.. etc etc"

Farage was asked about it a couple of days later and said it wont be happening

Make of it what you will, but "Farage is making it up as he goes along" only works if it was Farage who suggested it in the first place

Or would it be better if he let rubbish ideas become party policy?

Maybe I am different to other party supporters, but I don't see how they get so animated about minor goings on in UKIP... if Diane Abbott suiggested all black shortlists, and Ed Miliband said "That aint happening" I would think it made him look strong not weak, or if Cable said he wanted a mansion tax and Cleg said no, the same.. weird

• Options

Scott_P said:

They are as likely to reappear as Steve Hilton's idea to boost the economy by axing maternity pay
    Was that in the manifesto?
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

He is the economy spokesman and he said something like " I want to investigate the feasibility of introducing.. etc etc"

Make of it what you will, but "Farage is making it up as he goes along" only works if it was Farage who suggested it in the first place

Maybe I am different to other party supporters, but I don't see how they get so animated about minor goings on in UKIP... if Diane Abbott suiggested all black shortlists, and Ed Miliband said "That aint happening" I would think it made him look strong not weak, or if Cable said he wanted a mansion tax and Cleg said no, the same.. weird

Except O'Flynn is not some backbencher. He is the economics spokesperson for the party.

Though clearly Farage thinks that he should control all policies. The role of other party members is to stand back and applaud. Something that I think Carswell will get fed up with fairly quickly.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Sean_F said:

You'd think that the remaining LDs would be resolute partisans. But today's Ashcroft poll, which has the LDs on 8%, finds only 27% of those will definitely vote LD, 73% "might end up voting differently".
    That's a LD core vote of 2%.
    twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/516605869854048256
    Good point. But nay bother, they believe that they will get 40 MPs....
  • Options
    I'll only be 36 mins behind you lot....

BBC News Press Team ‏@BBCNewsPR · 4h
    Tonight in @EvanHD's first interview as #Newsnight presenter he'll be chatting to @David_Cameron. Tune in to #BBCTwo at 22:30.

• Options

Except O'Flynn is not some backbencher. He is the economics spokesperson for the party.

Quite

IIRC he was presenting their economic policy, billed as such on the links that various kippers posted to try and show there had not been a U-turn...

So the economic policy, as presented by the economic spokesman, is just a idea floated for discussion, and not in fact their economic policy.

That's almost worse than the U-turn
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Though clearly Farage thinks that he should control all policies. The role of other party members is to stand back and applaud. Something that I think Carswell will get fed up with fairly quickly.
    is there a market for Carswell re-defecting ?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

They are as likely to reappear as Steve Hilton's idea to boost the economy by axing maternity pay
    Was that in the manifesto?
    No that was when he was at the heart of government......

Although when it comes to the Tories its whats not in the manifesto that's seems to be more important.

Net Migration in the 100's of Thousand
    Raising VAT
    Redefining Marriage
    An EU Referendum
    Minimum Alcohol Pricing
    An AV+ Referendum
    Transferring 35 Criminal Justice Powers to Brussels
    Oh and of course getting into bed with the Libdems...
  • Options

isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

is there a market for Carswell re-defecting ?
    How much would you like to bet?
This discussion has been closed.