Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Enter PB Indyref prediction competition as Panelbase become

13»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963
    Scott_P said:

@STVNews: Final Ipsos-Mori poll for @STVNews: Yes 49% (+7) No 51% (-7) http://t.co/RE1zZBpXvz #ScotDecides http://t.co/6vZTqBRUlb

Yeesh. Far too many DK-Yes switchers it seems. Add in non-voters who probably aren't picked up well, and though my 53.23 might be a little over, it should be pretty close to that I think.
  • AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

The thing I'm looking forward to most of all...

The term "knife-edge" disappearing for as long as is feasibly possible.

And "momentum", please.
    Aye, momentum can sod off an all.
  • FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

And "momentum", please.
    Scaremongering
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    So YES has the Big Mo?
  • Today its Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy described the referendum as “a torpedo aimed at the European spirit”.

Yesterday his Europe minister spoke of a delay of at least five years before Scottish readmission, and even then only on the proviso that Edinburgh commit to joining the Euro, joining Schengen and losing its share of the UK budget rebate.

And these are not empty threats, because Spain (like each of the 28 members) has an absolute right of veto over the admission of any new member.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-17/brussels-is-officially-neutral-but-desperate-for-a-scottish-no/
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    49/51? Radically out of line with other polling companies - Ipsos-Mori really putting their reputation on the line
    FF42 said:

Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

And "momentum", please.
    Scaremongering
    Added..

Thats; "knife-edge, "momentum" and "scaremongering" on the list..

Anymore?
    The swing on the MORI poll is unremarkable for those in the know.

Just brings it in-line with their confederates.
    That 'outlier' with a large Yes lead isn't looking so impossible now, is it?
  • RodCrosby said:

So YES has the Big Mo?

+7%? When was the last Ipsos-MORI?
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited September 2014
    My punts:

Yes 47.9%

Turnout 80.7%
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,036
    Assuming that there is a tiny NO majority, how soon before the DevoMax proposals get kicked into the long grass? After all, Cameron will have “Saved the Union”!
  • Yes 47.72
    Turnout 87.27

Although I would love to see Yes win. Hopefully we would see that start of much needed political renewal in this country.

Seeing Gordon Brown and all the other dinosaurs/Great and good of the establishment being trundled out in favour of NO has been a very depressing sight.

No wonder the young are voting YES
  • taffys said:

One of the regular malcontents, is he?

I reckon there are plenty of them. And there will be a fair few English labour MPs worried too. UKIP will have a field day in labour constituencies if these powers and money are granted.

There isn;t enough money for your services because your MP gave it to Scots. And the Scots MPs voting on your issues (while you can't vote on theirs) intend to keep it that way...

It will go a bundle in all those former Labour now Tory coastal towns as well. The East Midlands, Eastern and South Eastern regions get the lowest PESA allocations of the lot. Cameron will come out of it 'beaten and bloodied' as well as all good 'Eton Trifles' should.
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    AllyM said:

FF42 said:

Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

And "momentum", please.
    Scaremongering
    Added..

Anymore?
    turnip

Ishmael_X said:

AllyM said:

FF42 said:

Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

And "momentum", please.
    Scaremongering
    Added..

Anymore?
    turnip

Added.

Anymore are welcome..
  • TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

AllyM said:

FF42 said:

Bazowzer said:

AllyM said:

And "momentum", please.
    Scaremongering
    Added..

Anymore?
    turnip

'erchie' - the cowards way of saying 'arse'.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

taffys said:

I reckon there are plenty of them. And there will be a fair few English labour MPs worried too. UKIP will have a field day in labour constituencies if these powers and money are granted.

There isn;t enough money for your services because your MP gave it to Scots. And the Scots MPs voting on your issues (while you can't vote on theirs) intend to keep it that way...

It will go a bundle in all those former Labour now Tory coastal towns as well. The East Midlands, Eastern and South Eastern regions get the lowest PESA allocations of the lot. Cameron will come out of it 'beaten and bloodied' as well as all good 'Eton Trifles' should.
    Eton Mess surely? Or is there some delicacy I don't know about?

• Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    Coming to you soon if Yes win

www.youtube.com/watch?v=asZdoUtACMs

taffys said:

Cameron will be swaggering.

On the "no more” words, how about “erchies”?
  • Went for a few beers at 5.3 and come back and it's 4.7 (Indyref)

What's up?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,757

So, either all the polling companies will be right, or they'll all be wrong, but none of them will stand out from the others as being wrong.
    edited September 2014
    Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Sounds like a pudding to avoid if it has blood in it.

"Ooh, I'll have the Eton Trifle. Extra jug of plasma on the side please"

Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Unlike black pudding!
    I'm seeing the last Ipsos-MORI Referendum poll was start of August.

That's another word of sorts added to the list; the # Indyref.
  • manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014

taffys said:

Cameron will be swaggering.

On the "no more” words, how about “erchies”?
    Staggering more like. He's been acting as if he's punch drunk for a good time already!
  • audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Sean_F said:

So, either all the polling companies will be right, or they'll all be wrong, but none of them will stand out from the others as being wrong.

YouGov still to come.
  • SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Is there anything new in politics?

"In 1913, William Cowan presented a successful Scottish home rule bill to Westminster, but the outbreak of World War One prevented the creation of a strong Scottish parliament which could have completely changed Scotland's modern history."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29048884
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    If the Betfair betting continues at the same rate, the matched total could top £17 million by close of polls.

Nearly £250k matched in the past hour....
  • 51 No 49 Yes IPSOS Mori

Farewell, then, Union.
  • FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    Other hateful and overused words to avoid to normal speech: Yes. And No.
    Smarmeron said:

"In 1913, William Cowan presented a successful Scottish home rule bill to Westminster, but the outbreak of World War One prevented the creation of a strong Scottish parliament which could have completely changed Scotland's modern history."

I read a book which was extracts from Hansard from 1913 back in 1997 just after Labout had come to power. There was Home Rule for Scotland, a Minimum Wage Law and a Social Housing bill. All were banjoed by the outbreak of the first world war.
  • Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Bravo but I don't think Black Pudding makers (no ecky thump jokes please) would agree with you. Actually an Eton Trifle is rather like a Soufflet. One good prod and all the hot air escapes and it's substance collapses before your eyes.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Smarmeron said:

If I'm to understand Yes, then under independence politicians will no longer act like politicians for some reason, that would be pretty new. Then again, UKIP/Lab/LD/Con also argue this would happen under a majority of their choosing, so perhaps it isn't new to promise it at least.
    SeanT said:

So are all the polling companies carefully weighting their data so they happen to end up in the same zone?

Waiting to get my hands on the cross tabs so I can see if they've tweaked anything since the last one.
    Alistair said:

Smarmeron said:

I read a book which was extracts from Hansard from 1913 back in 1997 just after Labout had come to power. There was Home Rule for Scotland, a Minimum Wage Law and a Social Housing bill. All were banjoed by the outbreak of the first world war.
    The Strange Death of Liberal England!

Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Actually an Eton Trifle is rather like a Soufflet. One good prod and all the hot air escapes and it's substance collapses before your eyes.
    In Scotland that's known as a Salmond Pudding.

• RodCrosby said:

So YES has the Big Mo?

Again?

After losing it?

Or are we parsing MOE?
  • Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Actually an Eton Trifle is rather like a Soufflet. One good prod and all the hot air escapes and it's substance collapses before your eyes.
    In Scotland that's known as a Salmond Pudding.

I can see the similarities. They have equally implausible EU policies for example!
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

By the way, SeanT and I have virtually identical predictions. Hmm. Has anyone seen us together in the same room?

You ARE SeanT and I claim my £50

You know what? I've had it with pb. No I am not betting 47 pence on whether Inverclyde's voting percentage is 84.1. I don't care about you morons who pretend you care, instead of spending your time in this ASTONISHING hotel in Balikpapan with FOUR balconies and THREE personal waitresses for every room where I'm just taking two minutes' break from my 26-year-old to pop a pill before going back for some more before spending MORE of my FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND REALS that I earned THIS WEEK when I sold my book to Brazil.

Inverclyde's result is in? Enjoy, you sad gits.

Heh.

I am looking forward to your next novel "The Lost Kingdom" with A bizarre political shrine, on the isolated Westminster Embankment, London. This is where the disinterested and self-regarding political leaders of Britain spent their final, brutal years before the Scots marched south demanding independence, a higher Barnett spend and DevoMax all at the same time.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Eton Trifles...

are those the same ones The Jam sang about??
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2014
    So if it's a no, it's likely to be by a squeak.

And the difference between a no and a yes will be a lot smaller than all those English tossers turnips people voting no (HOW DARE THEY). I think I'll Scotland a miss for a while...

By the way, SeanT and I have virtually identical predictions. Hmm. Has anyone seen us together in the same room?

You know what? I've had it with pb. No I am not betting 47 pence on whether Inverclyde's voting percentage is 84.1. I don't care about you morons who pretend you care, instead of spending your time in this ASTONISHING hotel in Balikpapan with FOUR balconies and THREE personal waitresses for every room where I'm just taking two minutes' break from my 26-year-old to pop a pill before going back for some more before spending MORE of my FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND REALS that I earned THIS WEEK when I sold my book to Brazil.

Heh.

I am looking forward to your next novel "The Lost Kingdom" with A bizarre political shrine, on the isolated Westminster Embankment, London. This is where the disinterested and self-regarding political leaders of Britain spent their final, brutal years before the Scots marched south demanding independence, a higher Barnett spend and DevoMax all at the same time.
    There’s 15 thousand Cornishmen ......

Who’ll be in on the act, too.

• By the way, SeanT and I have virtually identical predictions. Hmm. Has anyone seen us together in the same room?

Heh.

Re Beverley at 5.35pm - Nick Palmer said all that???????????????????? I have new found admiration for him.
    49/51 and still trading at 5.

Suggests gamblers are utterly stupid, or that they know full well how the DKs are going to break.
  • SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Soothing music for SeanT

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NEE-OHGThw
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    The final Yes and No events are the campaign in microcosm: Salmond meeting real people, Darling in a room with invited cheerleaders.
  • New Thread
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Richard_Nabavi Posts: 2,824
    3:38PM
    Perhaps the same 750 people are responding to all the pollsters!
    Flag Quote · Off Topic

The fellow from Survation hinted he thought that might not be far from the truth on the Daily Politics
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anorak said:

Suggests gamblers are utterly stupid, or that they know full well how the DKs are going to break.

If virtually every poll puts No ahead, maybe that indicates No is going to win, however narrowly.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I pressed the wrong button on betfair app and laid my YES position at 5.5 by mistake... How's my luck??!!! Laid the best price! Tried to have it back and it's come into 4.7

Groans
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2014
    Just put another £50 on No, in a moment of madness, perhaps.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Ishmael_X said:

Socrates said:

Jesus. An OAP punched in the face - surely Salmond will criticise this behaviour now? A call for calm would be what a true statesman would do.

It is arguable that that behaviour, if it occurred, (a) involves serious violence against a person (b) the use of which was designed to intimidate a section of the public, and (c) was made for the purposes of advancing a political or ideological cause. If so, it is terrorism within the meaning of s. 1 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
    It was also a story from the Telegraph, and the victim "wished to remain anonymous".

Astonishingly.

ie it was bollocks lies
    edited September 2014
    AndyJS said:

Anorak said:

If virtually every poll puts No ahead, maybe that indicates No is going to win, however narrowly.
    True - the margin of error in a poll-of-polls will be a lot smaller, but not that small. Plus, given the methodological similarities across all the polls, there could easily be a common fault (1992 and all that).

Given the above, the price is still out of kilter (geddit) with the polls. In my opinion.
  • I think it's going to be very close, with both sides turning out in droves. There is a strong emotional tide with "Yes" but but against that there are probably a lot of shy "No" voters and there are many reasons why voters might hesitate in the polling booth before voting "yes."

Add all those things up and the polls showing a very narrow win for "No" are probably right.
    Hence I went for with both sides turhn

Yes 48.20%
    Turnout 81.50%

But if there is a "Yes" win I'll offer an additional bet to anyone who wants to take it - despite the "Yes" propaganda that if they win there will be no more Tory governments ever in Scotland, and the even dafter suggestion from some quarters that there will be no more Labour governments in RUK, I will bet £50 that

1) within 20 years there will be a new government in Scotland which includes, possibly as part of a coalition, ministers who are recognisably centre-right (e.g. either members of whatever Scottish Conservative Party or it's successor organisation is called, or of some new party with a platform which is pro business, pro small government, and pro low taxes and light regulation,) and

2) unfortunately within the same timeframe there will also be a government in RUK which includes Labour ministers.

Odds negotiable - I'll start by suggesting evens but I think the probability of those two things both happening within 20 years given a "Yes" is higher than 50:50 so will consider a reasonable proposal for odds reflecting this.

If the person taking the bet with me is from Scotland I'm willing to consider a bet denominated in Euros, as if there is a "Yes" vote you won't be using the pound in 20 years' time.

Party support changes - within my lifetime there was a Conservative PM in the UK who had majority support in Scotland and there have been Labour governments with a majority of the vote in England. It is entirely possible, especially in the different environment which will exist after Friday whichever way the vote goes, that support might change round again.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,859
    Yes: 43.04
    Turn-out: 86.31

Personally I'd prefer a Yes so we got shot of the buggers. YeSNP have so poisoned it all that there'll be a shitstorm no matter what, and I'd rather be watching from another country.

Given history from about 1200, they'll be back next time they go bankrupt anyway.
  • Yes 48.79%
    Turnout 84.13%
    Good luck to everyone
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Yes 44.85 No 55.15 turnout 86.32%
    If I were to win I would wish that Mike Smithson places the bets on my behalf and all winnings to LUPUS UK.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    My late 2p

Yes 45.3
    No 54.7
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ave it says: Yes 43 No 57
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    malcolmg said:

Ishmael_X said:

Socrates said:

Jesus. An OAP punched in the face - surely Salmond will criticise this behaviour now? A call for calm would be what a true statesman would do.

It is arguable that that behaviour, if it occurred, (a) involves serious violence against a person (b) the use of which was designed to intimidate a section of the public, and (c) was made for the purposes of advancing a political or ideological cause. If so, it is terrorism within the meaning of s. 1 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
    It was also a story from the Telegraph, and the victim "wished to remain anonymous".

Astonishingly.

ie it was bollocks lies
    Se you Jimmy 43-57! :)
  • Yes - 47.87%
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,292
    Yes - 38%
    No- 62%
    Turnout - 85%
This discussion has been closed.