Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four final polls published, two more to come, and it looks

SystemSystem Posts: 11,713
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Four final polls published, two more to come, and it looks as though NO might have just edged it

Yesterday the other bit of Betfair, the one that operates like a traditional bookie with the firm fixing the odds, announced that it was paying out on NO winning bets. This part of the firm accounts for a very small slice of its business and serious punters don’t go near. That they only had to fork out a “six figure sum” says a lot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020
    Second. Is there going to be a PB prediction poll? Looking forward to the vote!
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    I can only see the results of three polls in the last thread.What is the 4th and when are the other two expected
  • Options
    Bill Clinton:

"Unity with maximum self-determination sends a powerful message to a world torn by identity conflicts that it is possible to respect our differences while living and working together. This is the great challenge of our time. The Scots can show us how to meet it."

http://www.glasgowsouthandeastwoodextra.co.uk/news/scottish-headlines/bill-clinton-urges-scots-to-stay-1-3543846
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    I wonder what new powers salmond will demand ?

X-ray vision, the ability to fly, time travel ?
  • Options
    And so as we head into the last day of campaigning before tomorrow’s referendum (I can’t tell you how much I’ve wanted to write those words) a combination of kind words from Canada and the harsh realities of life from Spain are making things very difficult indeed for Alex Salmond.

Oh yes, and whilst the SNP leader said to Andrew Marr on Sunday that he’d been holding preliminary accession talks with other EU countries, representatives of France, Spain and Belgium have told this newspaper that they’d heard nothing from the Scottish Government.

Somebody’s not telling the truth here. You choose.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11100819/Does-Salmond-know-what-our-friends-are-saying.html
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,813
    edited September 2014

Free Unicorns of course......

......but yes, it will never be enough....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,046
    Its one reason why I'm hoping for a YES vote. I really expect to find Mr Salmond hanging from a lamp post in 12 months time..
  • Options
    eek said:

Its one reason why I'm hoping for a YES vote. I really expect to find Mr Salmond hanging from a lamp post in 12 months time..
    It'd be an interesting history to watch play out.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,156

Bill Clinton:

"Unity with maximum self-determination sends a powerful message to a world torn by identity conflicts that it is possible to respect our differences while living and working together. This is the great challenge of our time. The Scots can show us how to meet it."

http://www.glasgowsouthandeastwoodextra.co.uk/news/scottish-headlines/bill-clinton-urges-scots-to-stay-1-3543846

Is Bill campaigning for America to rejoin the union, what a tosser.
  • Options

Bitter and Twisted to the bitter end
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    eek said:

What a lovely person you are, sad sack. What has this site come to that we have sick people hoping someone gets murdered, unbelievable.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,046
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

What a lovely person you are, sad sack. What has this site come to that we have sick people hoping someone gets murdered, unbelievable.
    Did I say anything about hope in my statement. I said expect because I don't desire it occurring... I think you need to go back to school and relearn how to use a dictionary...

Salmond has offered a utopia without problems to those who vote YES. To many of YES voters everything will be perfect and go exactly the way Salmond has claimed. When that doesn't occur and things go wrong (as inevitably some things will) those people are going to be very, very angry....

As I've said before, in many ways I think a YES vote is now the better of the two options however YES has been sold in a way that will result in many YES votes being rather annoyed by the reality.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Usual Nat tactic - play the man, not the ball.....to the bitter end......and it is a bitter end:

Scuffles broke out and insults were hurled on Tuesday as the battle for Scotland’s future descended into its most acrimonious day of political fighting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-alex-salmond-accused-of-campaign-of-lies-on-future-of-nhs-9736662.html
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Usual Nat tactic - play the man, not the ball.....to the bitter end......and it is a bitter end:

Scuffles broke out and insults were hurled on Tuesday as the battle for Scotland’s future descended into its most acrimonious day of political fighting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-alex-salmond-accused-of-campaign-of-lies-on-future-of-nhs-9736662.html
    Close Friends of yours no doubt............
    twitter.com/BjCruickshank/status/511992402794799106/photo/1
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    More stories emerge about the activities of Robert MugSalmonds war veterans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2758514/The-Seriously-Nasty-Party-With-one-day-damning-evidence-bullying-intimidation-voters-Scots-nationalists-just-ask-Miliband.html

"The Yes campaign's bullying and intimidation is worse than anything ITV's Tom Bradby saw while reporting on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.....

Further acts of intimidation have been reported by the No camp across Scotland, including:

Hundreds of campaign boards have been daubed with offensive graffiti or destroyed;

Homes with ‘No Thanks’ posters have been pelted with eggs and one householder in Edinburgh had ‘traitor’ etched into his front door;

Farmers have received anonymous phone calls saying their livestock will be set loose unless they take down campaign boards

Nationalists have bragged on Facebook about ripping down No signs and posted videos of them stamping on the posters

Pro-union canvassers been called ‘loyalist scum’ and ordered to hand over details of supporters so their ‘houses can be burned down’.... "

In Edinburgh, Richard Hickson, 57, had the word ‘coward’ carved into his front door after putting up a ‘No Thanks’ posters......When he did not take down the poster following the act of vandalism, a glass of urine was left outside his house.....

Pro-union voters have endured stone-throwing, been called traitors and faced threats that their houses will be torched.

Many are now said to be too scared to show their support for fear of reprisals that might follow a defeat for the nationalists in tomorrow’s vote.

Nice

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    edited September 2014
    I'm off to Aberdeen this morning and i've just been asked if I fancy 'doing the exits' tomorrow night. Obviously I said yes not wanting to look like a Sassenach Jessie........

I've no idea what it involves but if I'm on the front page of the Mail on Friday morning waving a bloodied handkerchief I'll know I've made a bad decision
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Oh look more of your pals here...........
    twitter.com/The_SSP_/status/511975012656746496/photo/1
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Look even more of your pals..............
    twitter.com/Mrscaldy/status/511994110157529088/photo/1
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Close Friends of yours no doubt............twitter.com/BjCruickshank/status/511992402794799106/photo/1
    Again, not addressing the issue - as the YESNP sowed, so have they reaped.....but then you are hardly a reliable source since your "Yes shop firebombed" was comprehensively debunked......

• Options
    Roger said:

I'm off to Aberdeen this morning and i've just been asked if I fancy 'doing the exits' tomorrow night. Obviously I said yes not wanting to look like a Sassenach Jessie........

I've no idea what it involves but if I'm on the front page of the Mail on Friday morning waving a bloodied handkerchief I'll know I've made a bad decision

Good luck! Who are you "doing the exits" for?

• Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Look more of your best pals handiwork...........
    twitter.com/notarealswan/status/511963111327145986/photo/1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Knob should have remembered his own words...........
    twitter.com/Irish_Fart14/status/511840034929258497/photo/1
  • Options
    Carlotta

"Good luck! Who are you "doing the exits" for?"

Thank you! I've been asked by someone from the NO campaign. I imagine we'll ask people who they voted for though I can't imagine who or what the information is for
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Close Friends of yours no doubt............twitter.com/BjCruickshank/status/511992402794799106/photo/1
    Again, not addressing the issue - as the YESNP sowed, so have they reaped.....but then you are hardly a reliable source since your "Yes shop firebombed" was comprehensively debunked......

Lovely friends you have , I note you don't deny them
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

Thank you! I've been asked by someone from the NO campaign. I imagine we'll ask people who they voted for though I can't imagine who or what the information is for

MI5.. gotta make sure the vote is going "well". ;)
  • Options
    One of Scotland's best known entrepreneurs, Sir Tom Hunter, has rejected Alex Salmond's proposals for a currency union and said the best option for Scotland's businesses is to remain in the UK.

In a significant blow to the first minister's currency plans, Hunter said: "On the narrow question of currency, there's no question that the way we are currently is best for business. Any other option is going to have costs, uncertainties and risks."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/16/scottish-businessman-sir-tom-hunter-rejects-alex-salmond-sterling-currency
  • Options

More stories emerge about the activities of Robert MugSalmonds war veterans.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2758514/The-Seriously-Nasty-Party-With-one-day-damning-evidence-bullying-intimidation-voters-Scots-nationalists-just-ask-Miliband.html

"The Yes campaign's bullying and intimidation is worse than anything ITV's Tom Bradby saw while reporting on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.....

Further acts of intimidation have been reported by the No camp across Scotland, including:

Hundreds of campaign boards have been daubed with offensive graffiti or destroyed;

Homes with ‘No Thanks’ posters have been pelted with eggs and one householder in Edinburgh had ‘traitor’ etched into his front door;

Farmers have received anonymous phone calls saying their livestock will be set loose unless they take down campaign boards

Nationalists have bragged on Facebook about ripping down No signs and posted videos of them stamping on the posters

Pro-union canvassers been called ‘loyalist scum’ and ordered to hand over details of supporters so their ‘houses can be burned down’.... "

In Edinburgh, Richard Hickson, 57, had the word ‘coward’ carved into his front door after putting up a ‘No Thanks’ posters......When he did not take down the poster following the act of vandalism, a glass of urine was left outside his house.....

Pro-union voters have endured stone-throwing, been called traitors and faced threats that their houses will be torched.

Many are now said to be too scared to show their support for fear of reprisals that might follow a defeat for the nationalists in tomorrow’s vote.

Nice

More fantasy from a nutter in Bed
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

Afaik it is used for "door knocking" - no point in going round to the homes of people who have already voted - so it will create a list of "no" voters who have not yet voted to encourage them to do so....
  • Options

Roger said:

Carlotta

Afaik it is used for "door knocking" - no point in going round to the homes of people who have already voted - so it will create a list of "no" voters who have not yet voted to encourage them to do so....

MI5 for sure.... ;)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Bill Clinton:

Lovely friends you have , I note you don't deny them
    Since your "Yes shop firebombed" proved to be a tissue of lies, what would the point be?
  • Options
    I absolutely agree with that last statement. Even assuming a basic 3% margin of error that means that YES could be as high as 51% or as low as 45% and that NO could be as high as 55% or as low as 49% (that's a YES by 2% to a NO by 10%). Either way I do hope that the losing side is able to take a collective deep breath and say "We accept the will of the Scottish people, we do necessarily share their view but we accept it and will over the next few months present a way forward within the layout of the constitution". Of course it's entirely possible that the SNP are now in a win/win situation. YES, they get independence, NO, they storm the Scottish element of the general election and over take the Lib Dems in terms of forming a coalition.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Don't.....as we converse, some Nat is tweeting about "confirmation of MI5 manipulation....."
  • Options
    Carlotta

"Afaik it is used for "door knocking" - no point in going round to the homes of people who have already voted - so it will create a list of "no" voters who have not yet voted to encourage them to do so...."

That sounds more interesting. So I will be doing my bit for the union!
  • Options

RobD said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Don't.....as we converse, some Nat is tweeting about "confirmation of MI5 manipulation....."
    What was their proof? I do like a good conspiracy!
  • Options
    Returning Officer on R4 790,000 postal votes, around 80% returned so far.
  • Options

Let's hope they start counting them at 10pm on the dot!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

The link makes an allegation that someone was beaten up, provides a photo of a chap with a heavy nosebleed and names him. It was posted nearly 24 hours ago.

However googling the guys name with or without "beaten up" added draws a complete blank, I can find nothing linked to, not even on the rentatrot sites. Which is odd, as I would expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

Sorry but some corroboration is needed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Your comment "I read it on the establishment political betting site PB.com....."
  • Options
    edited September 2014

RobD said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Your comment "I read it on the establishment political betting site PB.com....."
    Oh dear!

Edit: and PB has become part of the establishment! Huzzah!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Disgusting stuff about the graffiti on peoples homes. The toerags behind it must be found and punished.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

"Afaik it is used for "door knocking" - no point in going round to the homes of people who have already voted - so it will create a list of "no" voters who have not yet voted to encourage them to do so...."

Indeed!

Did you catch the Gordon Brown interview last night - worth watching - puts the current generation in the shade....

• Options

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Did you catch the Gordon Brown interview last night - worth watching - puts the current generation in the shade....

Practiced liar for sure , but the hyena smile always gives him away
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,435

Roger said:

Carlotta

Things will clearly vary from area to area depending on what resources are and have been available but in Dundee we are not using cards (I think Labour will in some areas) to mark off no voters. For a campaign built from scratch with no data base or previous history it has just not been possible to do something like that and the resources have been better used elsewhere.

We will be monitoring turnout in various wards thought on the basis of polling information to be leaning strongly one way or another across the City and we will be relying on phone banks and door knocking to GOTV of known supporters.

My final prediction for this is 53:47 for no. If we have a competition I might add or subtract a couple of tenths for that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Don't hold your breath.

A week or so ago Malcolm claimed a Yes shop had been firebombed.

Turned out it was:
    - an empty shop with Yes posters on it
    - a bin outside the shop which had been set on fire
    - leaving the shop, and posters, undamaged.

Basically he'll post any old Nat rubbish, he's either a fool or a knave - or possibly both....

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Writes the "Yes shop firebombed" liar.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

My final prediction for this is 53:47 for no. If we have a competition I might add or subtract a couple of tenths for that.
    Good luck - and thanks for all your hard work!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Carlotta

"Did you catch the Gordon Brown interview last night - worth watching - puts the current generation in the shade...."

I did and as you suggest in a different class to what we have now. More to the point it showed what Salmond looks like when he takes on the big boys....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Yestapo have been out and about...

@StephanieFraser: Passer by just alerted us to our torched sign. #freespeech #indyref #nothanks http://t.co/NDGbnnfbkJ
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,377
    edited September 2014
    Betting comment: after the unanimity fo three polls,. it's likely that the first of today's will show some movement, purely for sampling reasons. That might trigger an exaggerated response on Betfair as people stampede to "follow the trend". Caution is advisable! Of course, if they all do...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

"Did you catch the Gordon Brown interview last night - worth watching - puts the current generation in the shade...."

I did and as you suggest in a different class to what we have now. More to the point it showed what Salmond looks like when he takes on the big boys....

If Scotland votes Yes, I hope Brown (or failing that, Jim Murphy) stand for Holyrood and give the SNP a run for their money in 2016.....

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,435
    edited September 2014

DavidL said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Good luck - and thanks for all your hard work!
    The L family are on the march tomorrow. My daughters are taking days off university and work respectively and I am off work. We will have 4 of us manning the barricades polling stations.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

I'd forgotten about that. This morning I have been blaming the bedtime cheese for last night's amazing dream in which I found myself agreeing with Gordon Brown.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    ROFL

just caught up on Rupert's stance. Poor chap couldn't make up his mind who would win. He's gone soft.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Love your pals, keep encouraging them
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096

With two (at least) post deliveries to come! Didn’t someone say that the normal figure was about 60-70%? Presumably too, these are people who “normally” .... say 2 out of 3 elections .... vote.

Overall, does the postal vote percentage correlate with the on-the-day percentage?
  • Options

And that, I suppose, is the real argument for "no". More than enough is not enough, so might as well have Westminster to blame for it...

• Options

Roger said:

Carlotta

If Scotland votes Yes, I hope Brown (or failing that, Jim Murphy) stand for Holyrood and give the SNP a run for their money in 2016.....

Just what we need lying losers, but just about all Labour have. It will be their only option once cut off from the big trough.
  • Options
    The political parties have left much unsaid,especially on the NHS,and clarity is needed.I can guarantee the fight for the NHS will be a battle to the death.The indyref has guaranteed the NHS will be GE2015' Stalingrad.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

I'd forgotten about that. This morning I have been blaming the bedtime cheese for last night's amazing dream in which I found myself agreeing with Gordon Brown.

Yes - he was a man transformed on his own turf, eloquent, fluent, persuasive - very different from the brooding sulk in No 10......

• Options

malcolmg said:

The link makes an allegation that someone was beaten up, provides a photo of a chap with a heavy nosebleed and names him. It was posted nearly 24 hours ago.

However googling the guys name with or without "beaten up" added draws a complete blank, I can find nothing linked to, not even on the rentatrot sites. Which is odd, as I would expect them to be shouting it from the rooftops.

And answer came there none.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,813
    edited September 2014

ROFL

just caught up on Rupert's stance. Poor chap couldn't make up his mind who would win. He's gone soft.

Those 'reading the runes' saw a wavering in the past couple of days - having seen who some of the SNP's 'Yes' allies are.....

Scotland. Have to worry about some of Salmond's allies. Far left socialists and extreme greenies. Must change course to prosper if he wins.

SNP not talking about independence, but more more welfarism, expensive greenery, etc and passing sovereignty to Brussels.

Looks like he finally got round to the small print.....and after Eck had a chat with him too.......
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

You must have watched a different programme than the one in Scotland then. Hyena smile Brown lying for BT versus calm collected FM telling it as it is.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Still no retraction of your lie then? As ever, Nats dodging the issue and shooting the messenger......

• Options

Gadfly said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Yes - he was a man transformed on his own turf, eloquent, fluent, persuasive - very different from the brooding sulk in No 10......

LOL.........fanny alert
  • Options
    Unremarkable YouGov details - UKIP down a bit, Lab/Con up a bit, could be random. The SNP have been ahead in most Scottish subsamples for a while now and it's perhaps there we should expect the next movement in either direction.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Alistair Darling @bbcr4today criticises Alex Salmond's use of term Team Scotland as "deeply offensive" #indyref

Exclude medal winning athletes and grand slam winning captains.

Offensive and stupid.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Still no retraction of your lie then? As ever, Nats dodging the issue and shooting the messenger......

Go lick some more erchies
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Have you seen a doctor yet
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238
    So just a bit of PR then. Why pay out on bets before the race is over? Especially when, with the best will in the world, the result is nowhere near certain.
  • Options
    Clearly, if they do vote YES, the Scots would be stark raving mad to entrust the negotiations to Salmond when they could be undertaken in their interest by the politician who knows more about the UK's finances than the rest of them put together! Isn't that so, Malcolm?

BTW, I was talking the other night to a Scot who's going to vote yes even though he expects the Scottish economy to tank for at least a generation. Heads and hearts, indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    I think the Yes bully tactics are going to backfire. It will just galvanise No voters tomorrow. Idiots are letting this historic opportunity to slip through their hands. I honestly don't understand what they are thinking.
  • Options
    NOTE that the fourth final poll was the one last week from TNS showing 1% lead
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

Go lick some more erchies
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nice to see you maintaining the usual quality (sic) of your contribution to PB.com.....to your bitter end.

And once you've lost, perhaps you might ask yourself whether your infantile abuse helped your cause.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

There will be a PB prediction poll. Details will be published later today

• Options

RobD said:

There will be a PB prediction poll. Details will be published later today

Awesome! Will be interesting to see the results.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039

malcolmg said:

That was extensively discussed in PB a couple (I think) of days back. Arrests have been made and reported in the press (IIRC the victim was not named therein, but it seems to be the same incident).

• Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    What do people make of the Scottish Sun's stance? I read it as slightly, mildly pro-Yes. The cloud picture (day before yesterday?) was bizarre, showing GB without Scotland and referred to as an "omen". Ditto the picture (yesterday?) of a piece of battered fried chicken which was supposed to show the same. What are they saying? Got to be that Yes will probably win. What's the overall effect? I'm not sure! Are there any experienced Sun analysts in the house?

The photo of Alistair Darling on today's front page makes him look quite pleasant; the one of Alec Salmond guffawing is quite typical and will probably appeal to those who already like him and annoy those who don't.

But the pictures and articles included in today's coverage (Yes are "indy" mood to party, Ed Miliband gets chased away from somewhere) suggest a mild pro-Yes message.

Or does it come down to saying nothing other than "keep reading the Sun", playing it very safe, trying not to upset anyone too much and risk a fall in circulation?

What do other people think?

The weather's good. My prediction remains that No will get 54% and that turnout will be 83%.
    I'd be interested to hear other people's predictions :-)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

You must have watched a different programme than the one in Scotland then. Hyena smile Brown lying for BT versus calm collected FM telling it as it is.
    To be fair I thought they were both good. But we definitely need Gordon reinforcing the Holyrood effort.

With two (at least) post deliveries to come! Didn’t someone say that the normal figure was about 60-70%? Presumably too, these are people who “normally” .... say 2 out of 3 elections .... vote.

Overall, does the postal vote percentage correlate with the on-the-day percentage?
    I think the 60-70% estimate was from me. Generally we find that:

* PV turnout is about 10-15 points above turnout on the day
    * Nearly all PVs that are cast go in quickly. So that 80 will probably only change to 83-84.

Given that apparently only 20% of the total referendum vote had PVs, that figure suggests to me that total turnout will be in the 75-80 range. But it's possible that referendum dynamics will be different and the closeness of the polls will pull people out on the day. Certainly I wouldn't bet on it excedding 85%.

• Options
    Malc

"erchies"?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think the Yes bully tactics are going to backfire. It will just galvanise No voters tomorrow. Idiots are letting this historic opportunity to slip through their hands. I honestly don't understand what they are thinking.

Ironically it was Salmond who best summed up the Yes campaign when he spoke of " bluff, bluster and bullying".

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

To be fair I thought they were both good. But we definitely need Gordon reinforcing the Holyrood effort.

I think the 60-70% estimate was from me. Generally we find that:

* PV turnout is about 10-15 points above turnout on the day
    * Nearly all PVs that are cast go in quickly. So that 80 will probably only change to 83-84.

Given that apparently only 20% of the total referendum vote had PVs, that figure suggests to me that total turnout will be in the 75-80 range. But it's possible that referendum dynamics will be different and the closeness of the polls will pull people out on the day. Certainly I wouldn't bet on it excedding 85%.

Morning all,

I'm not sure the usual rules about posting votes early will apply this time, as so many people have seemed to struggle to make up their minds. Perhaps a larger chunk have waited to see more of the arguments.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Socrates said:

Disgusting stuff about the graffiti on peoples homes. The toerags behind it must be found and punished.

The US has lots of faults and makes lots of mistakes, and gets some things right. It started under the guidance of intelligent educated men: Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, and many others, for instance who separated Church and State, and Church and Education.
    The Scots punch above their weight in all sorts of ways---in Philosophy, research, engineering and so forth.
    But with whom do we associate this "revolution"?
    Salmond and a bunch of Yahoos.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    BTW, although the media like to highlight trouble, it doesn't strike me that we've really heard of anything serious enough to warrant some of the more excitable predictions of armed struggle and the like. In many ways it's been an inspiration to see so much passionate engagement on both sides. When I canvass, about a quarter of the voters express a strong preference, otherwise the gamut of emotions runs from A ("yeah, I'll probably support you, when is it anyway?") to B ("No, I don't think so, but not sure what else I'll do really"). For those of us who do care it's good to see a whole country full of people who are really interested, and Scots should feel a bit proud of that.

Especial thanks to DavidL for his calm, witty exploration of doorstep politics. Good luck to the Ls for a satisfying day tomorrow.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

ROFL

Those 'reading the runes' saw a wavering in the past couple of days - having seen who some of the SNP's 'Yes' allies are.....

Scotland. Have to worry about some of Salmond's allies. Far left socialists and extreme greenies. Must change course to prosper if he wins.

SNP not talking about independence, but more more welfarism, expensive greenery, etc and passing sovereignty to Brussels.

Looks like he finally got round to the small print.....and after Eck had a chat with him too.......
    Those Twitter posts are a red herring. The "far left" will be of little influence if Yes wins. In anothe tweet, Murdoch salivated at the idea of backing right-wing libertarians after a Yes win. Cf Fox News.

As for runes, did you get the cloud and the battered chicken? Bizarre to people with noticeable intellect, perhaps not so bizarre to Sun readers.
  • Options
    John_N said:

What do people make of the Scottish Sun's stance? I read it as slightly, mildly pro-Yes. The cloud picture (day before yesterday?) was bizarre, showing GB without Scotland and referred to as an "omen". Ditto the picture (yesterday?) of a piece of battered fried chicken which was supposed to show the same. What are they saying? Got to be that Yes will probably win. What's the overall effect? I'm not sure! Are there any experienced Sun analysts in the house?

The photo of Alistair Darling on today's front page makes him look quite pleasant; the one of Alec Salmond guffawing is quite typical and will probably appeal to those who already like him and annoy those who don't.

But the pictures and articles included in today's coverage (Yes are "indy" mood to party, Ed Miliband gets chased away from somewhere) suggest a mild pro-Yes message.

Or does it come down to saying nothing other than "keep reading the Sun", playing it very safe, trying not to upset anyone too much and risk a fall in circulation?

What do other people think?

The weather's good. My prediction remains that No will get 54% and that turnout will be 83%.
    I'd be interested to hear other people's predictions :-)

My turnout guess was the same! Vote - all over the place, because the status quo factor is going to be counteracted by the Irvine Welsh factor, the new/reregistration factor, and the increasing anger at the media approach (which has surprised even me, given how it has become apparent in people I know who have had very little active interest in politics). If I had to pick a number in the office sweepstake I'd go for 54% Yes if only to get a decent return!

Now back to your comments. The Scottish papers have done very poorly this year, on the whole, even by paper standards in general. One factor is likely to be the fact that they have been so overwhelmingly unionist - the decline of the Scotsman, compared to the Herald, has been very noticeable. (No doubt the same would have been true if they had been 100% hard Yes.)

The [daily] Herald is still very much unionist in news and editorial and some comment (though that odd editorial yesterday is a bit on the verge of fence-sitting) but it has some excellent columnists who have moved much more to Yes in recent weeks, and the Sunday Herald is very much pro-indy. Guess which newspaper has shown a 25% increase in sales year on year? Yes, the SH. I'd guess that the Sun is simply aware of the need not to tee off as near as dammit to half of its readers whatever side it takes, and has also taken note of the SH circulation news.

• Options

BTW, although the media like to highlight trouble, it doesn't strike me that we've really heard of anything serious enough to warrant some of the more excitable predictions of armed struggle and the like. In many ways it's been an inspiration to see so much passionate engagement on both sides. When I canvass, about a quarter of the voters express a strong preference, otherwise the gamut of emotions runs from A ("yeah, I'll probably support you, when is it anyway?") to B ("No, I don't think so, but not sure what else I'll do really"). For those of us who do care it's good to see a whole country full of people who are really interested, and Scots should feel a bit proud of that.

Especial thanks to DavidL for his calm, witty exploration of doorstep politics. Good luck to the Ls for a satisfying day tomorrow.

Thank goodness for some nicely understated common sense and a very nice sentiment from you.

• Options
    Spanish PM has just said 'Scotland would have to apply' in Cortes - which Naughtie just put to Salmond on R4......
  • Options

Clearly, if they do vote YES, the Scots would be stark raving mad to entrust the negotiations to Salmond when they could be undertaken in their interest by the politician who knows more about the UK's finances than the rest of them put together! Isn't that so, Malcolm?

BTW, I was talking the other night to a Scot who's going to vote yes even though he expects the Scottish economy to tank for at least a generation. Heads and hearts, indeed.

Innocent, I would not trust Brown or Darling to run a bath. Two more duplicitous self enhancing losers I have never seen. They seem only to have a golden touch when it is for their own pockets.
  • Options
    Three weeks since the Rotherham report and still no government action.

These questions need to be answered:

1) Why has Home secretary Teresa May taken no action against a police force which has collaborated with child rapists.

2) Why has Rotherham children's services not been placed in 'special measures' instead of remaining under the control of Joyce Thacker, who has admitted to the HoC Home Affairs Committee that she knowingly allowed child rapes to continue.

3) How much did the locally well connected former Communities Minister Sayeeda Warsi know about what was taking place and why did she do nothing about it.

4) Why has Prime Minister David Cameron allowed at least three government departments to take no action.

Since the Rotherham report was published there is now likely to be five NEW child rape victims on the numbers given in it.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Not long till D-Day. And immediately afterwards, the next constitutional crisis! [Either negotiations for separation or the politicians getting slammed for utter disregard towards England].

Still, at least there's the Singapore Grand Prix this weekend to distract us from such things.
  • Options

Spanish PM has just said 'Scotland would have to apply' in Cortes - which Naughtie just put to Salmond on R4......

Unionist bumbler...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Roger said:

Malc

"erchies"?

Think of JACK ................ ARSE but politely said
  • Options

BBC bias!!!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

So just a bit of PR then. Why pay out on bets before the race is over? Especially when, with the best will in the world, the result is nowhere near certain.

Publicity

They say they are paying out a six figure sum...

The no price has been big odds on with the bookies for a long while. Let's say betfair Sportsbook were 1/6.... That means if they pay out £100,000 , £84,000 of that is the punters stake money, so it's only costing them £16,000
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: "Generals should listen to the words of normal soldiers," says Salmond, quoting a 102-year-old ex Desert Rat in reply to 14 defence chiefs.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Are the mods going to put up with misogynistic insults to one of our few female posters?
    malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

Roger said:

Carlotta

Indeed!

LOL.........fanny alert
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Appointments not available due to SNP budget cuts to the NHS....
This discussion has been closed.