Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says “LAB most votes – CON most seats” is a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says “LAB most votes – CON most seats” is a good bet at 66-1

Labour has won most votes at a general election before and come out behind on seats.  It happened in 1951, when Attlee’s Labour polled over 13.9m votes:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited September 2014
    I think that your point about CON votes in safe seats seeping to UKIP is a good one and will compress the overall CON vote

Not sure about the overall conclusion though. Remember in 2005 the Tories won most votes in England but LAB secured 92 more seats. See

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/08/05/remember-when-the-tories-won-england-at-ge2005-ahead-on-the-popular-vote-but-92-behind-on-seats/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    Second...... Is OGH acting on insider information? Someone should report him to the police...;-)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    1) Labour are already on a trajectory to lose the popular vote in 2015.

2) The SNP can only clean up in Scotland via a collapse in the Labour vote there, further depressing Labour's UK vote.

So it appears the value bet is Labour loses the popular vote and their vote becomes less efficient...
  • Options
    Society Disagrees Scotland is “Better Together”

... Majestic is a big data source which can extrapolate deep insights from the way in which pages and entities on the web connect to each other. We thought it would be useful to turn our insights onto the Scottish independence referendum.

From my analysis, it looks like the Yes campaign will beat the No campaign on polling day. As I write this I am personally very disappointed as I think Scotland would be stronger in the union. We predicted it correctly for the Mayor of London, and Obama vs Romney – so we do have a track of calling these things.

... I wish I could be sure… but I think Scotland will vote for Independence by much more than the polls suggest. I can’t say for sure because I had to work this out on a morning’s analysis. With more time I would start drilling down into the location and demographics of the users on the sites passing Trust Flow into the two campaigns. I am not paid to do that, but any political commentator ignoring Topical Trust Flow as a signal in any election is missing a trick now.

http://blog.majesticseo.com/research/scottish-election-poll/#sthash.FvkaBETD.dpuf
  • Options

Society Disagrees Scotland is “Better Together”

... Majestic is a big data source which can extrapolate deep insights from the way in which pages and entities on the web connect to each other. We thought it would be useful to turn our insights onto the Scottish independence referendum.

From my analysis, it looks like the Yes campaign will beat the No campaign on polling day. As I write this I am personally very disappointed as I think Scotland would be stronger in the union. We predicted it correctly for the Mayor of London, and Obama vs Romney – so we do have a track of calling these things.

... I wish I could be sure… but I think Scotland will vote for Independence by much more than the polls suggest. I can’t say for sure because I had to work this out on a morning’s analysis. With more time I would start drilling down into the location and demographics of the users on the sites passing Trust Flow into the two campaigns. I am not paid to do that, but any political commentator ignoring Topical Trust Flow as a signal in any election is missing a trick now.

http://blog.majesticseo.com/research/scottish-election-poll/#sthash.FvkaBETD.dpuf

May as well call off the plebicite! ;-)

This is probably biased by Yes being very active online, younger activists etc. Same goes for Obama.. maybe not Boris, though.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Anyone else think the very name "Better Together" is weak and ironical?

I mean, it could just as well be the name of the YES campaign, if you think about it.

"We Ourselves" (aka Sinn Fein) is not a million miles away in meaning, and is, of course, the antithesis of Unionism...

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2014
    I mostly agree with the way David Herdson talks through what has to happen but what happens when we put some numbers to it?
    1) Independence: Generously, 1 in 4.
    2) Lab lead thereafter: 1 in 2
    3) But only a teensy little one: 1 in 4
    4) Compressed Con vote from strong UKIP performance in safe seats, but Con not resulting in Con losing enough marginal seats to break (3): Exceedingly generously 1 in 4
    => 4 * 2 * 4 * 4 = 1 in 128

Admittedly there are some other ways to get to the same place, but it's not obvious they make up the gap.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014
    Given at best we are only talking about the Tories having a smalI lead in seats in this scenario I think that the third factor is not particularly plausible. If the Tory vote is squeezed sufficiently by UKIP it will not just be in the safe seats that conveniently won't hurt the Tories. If anything it will be most prominent in those seats (otherwise relatively safe Tory seats) where UKIP have been most successful already and therefore the chances are if the squeeze is sufficient to damage the Tories vote disproportionately then it would likely result in UKIP taking seats of the Tories in the Eastern coastal region likely pushing their seat total below Labour's.

I think the actual margin of error in such circumstances which would allow for the Labour most votes Tory most seats scenario is tiny. 66-1 seems optimistic to me.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Not in itself. What perhaps makes it ironic is the (until very recently) Scots-only nature of its campaign, as if to say: we are better off united with rUK, even though the English in particular are repugnant liars who would repel the man on the Glasgow omnibus.

Stepping back, perhaps Salmond's first victory was to frame the debate in those terms.

So unable to celebrate Britain, BT's campaign has not been Better Together but rather its corollary, the negative Worse Alone.
  • Options

I mostly agree with the way David Herdson talks through what has to happen but what happens when we put some numbers to it?
    4) Compressed Con vote from strong UKIP performance in safe seats, but Con not resulting in Con losing enough marginal seats to break (3): Exceedingly generously 1 in 4

Admittedly there are some other ways to get to the same place, but it's not obvious they make up the gap.

Independence at 1 in 4 might be the weak point in the analysis. If independence is a certainty, then the rest of the bet is 2 x 4 x 4 = 33/1, so effectively Shadsy offers Even money against independence. So it is still a bad bet, but on the grounds that true believers can get far better odds backing independence on its own: 7/2 from Ladbrokes.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

I mean, it could just as well be the name of the YES campaign, if you think about it.

"We Ourselves" (aka Sinn Fein) is not a million miles away in meaning, and is, of course, the antithesis of Unionism...

It's clunky certainly. The fact that they've constantly tried rebranding (UKOK, No Thanks, United with Labour) shows it wasn't a comfortable fit, but given they were in a cleft stick in trying to avoid being NO, it's understandable.
    Probably should execute the spotty little SPAD that came up with Project Fear though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Imagine Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling in pith helmets, leading a posse of Scottish voters down a jungle path and coming to a fork. “There’s a tiger that way!” Darling would say. “Project fear,” Salmond would retort. “But it’s, um, right there,” Darling would quail, pointing. “Stop patronising Scotland!” Salmond would declaim, and lead the group blundering on. Then all you’d hear was the shrieks.

People who don’t see the tiger are people who don’t want to see the tiger. Deep down, they must know that it is there.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4205243.ece
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Thinking about the campaign I wondered why we hadn’t seen more of the Lost Leader, Charlie Kennedy.
    Maybe of course he’s been active in Scotland and as usual, it’s not reported in the London media.
  • Options
    I'm becoming more and more convinced that the narrowing of the polls is down to fear of admitting their voting preference by no voters. As well as the press reports in both Guardian and Mail today, I have also seen forum/press comments of incidents, such as one where a poster stated that in nearby flats all the windows with "no" posters were broken while the windows with "yes" voters remained. I think if I was living in a Glasgow council estate I think I would be telling everyone I was voting "yes" to get them off my back.

I suspect SNP will also suffer a backlash in the 2015 general election. With the libdem vote on the floor also, I can see the tories regaining quite a few seats in Scotland
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

RodCrosby said:

It's clunky certainly. The fact that they've constantly tried rebranding (UKOK, No Thanks, United with Labour) shows it wasn't a comfortable fit, but given they were in a cleft stick in trying to avoid being NO, it's understandable.
    Probably should execute the spotty little SPAD that came up with Project Fear though.
    They didn't really try UKOK did they? For UK Unity might have been worse, acronym-wise, but calling it youcock is about as dumb as it gets..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Imagine Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling in pith helmets, leading a posse of Scottish voters down a jungle path and coming to a fork. “There’s a tiger that way!” Darling would say. “Project fear,” Salmond would retort. “But it’s, um, right there,” Darling would quail, pointing. “Stop patronising Scotland!” Salmond would declaim, and lead the group blundering on. Then all you’d hear was the shrieks.

People who don’t see the tiger are people who don’t want to see the tiger. Deep down, they must know that it is there.

I suspect when it comes to putting the x on the ballot that some may hesitate. Some will overcome it, some wont.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

They didn't really try UKOK did they? For UK Unity might have been worse, acronym-wise, but calling it youcock is about as dumb as it gets..
    Hah quite.

How about "Strength Through Unity" ;)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    RodCrosby said:

The Better Together brand was doomed as soon as 'Jonah' Brown and chums started pushing their way in. Brown's pathological hatred of all things Tory means that this crazy "United with Labour" has weakened the effectiveness of the campaign.

In the Borders and Highlands, Aberdeenshire, Perthshire and the leafier areas of the Central Belt, Tories and Labour (plus LibDems) have comfortably campaigned together. A perfect example has been the sight of Ken MacKintosh the Labour MSP for Eastwood and Jackson Carlaw his Tory opposite number he beat in 2011, being seen campaigning together. However frothing Broon and chums have been campaigning using the Labour party colours for their United with Labour and many non-Labour voters haven't identified them as part of the NO camp.

It will have been Broon and chums who will have lost the Union. "Wallace" Milibland speaking to rooms full of Labour party activists has done no good for the NO campaign. Last night he spoke to an audience of 400. Those 400 should have been out pounding the streets.

The more UK and foreign institutions "tell" the Scots what is good for us, the more certain that they overwhelming majority of Scots will respond "fcuk off" and vote YES.

OGH has expressed surprise that the Edinburgh postal vote returns so far are only 75% or thereabouts. There has been such a high registration that returning officers have been sending them out in tranches. In Highland, the 2nd tranche were only posted out on Monday. Mine arrived on Tuesday apparently and was posted back on Thursday.

I am delighted that today I will be well away from all the campaigning, surrounded by fellow clansmen and women from all around the world at the Highland Association of Clans International Gathering in Inverness. Last night we had a torchlit procession through Inverness City Centre with roughly 500 people from 20 clans and the salute taken by the Inverness (LibDem) Provost, the Lord Lieutenant and the Earl of Cromartie as Chief of the organising clan, the Mackenzies. It was good to see some of the Clan Chiefs like Godfrey and Lady Claire MacDonald of MacDonald who had made the trip over from Skye. We all appreciated the surprisingly large crowd which lined the fog bound streets at 9pm on a Friday evening.
  • Options

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the narrowing of the polls is down to fear of admitting their voting preference by no voters. As well as the press reports in both Guardian and Mail today, I have also seen forum/press comments of incidents, such as one where a poster stated that in nearby flats all the windows with "no" posters were broken while the windows with "yes" voters remained. I think if I was living in a Glasgow council estate I think I would be telling everyone I was voting "yes" to get them off my back.

I suspect SNP will also suffer a backlash in the 2015 general election. With the libdem vote on the floor also, I can see the tories regaining quite a few seats in Scotland

Yeah, this is going to leave some deep wounds, which ever way it goes (probably shouldn't have doubted that from the start).

Careful about predicting Tory gains at the election, you'll be accused of being a PB Tory Surger ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yeah, this is going to leave some deep wounds, which ever way it goes (probably shouldn't have doubted that from the start).

Careful about predicting Tory gains at the election, you'll be accused of being a PB Tory Surger ;-)
    I can only speak from my experience but the people who have hitherto been silent about YES and NO are (in my opinion) sadly breaking for NO. When I posted on my Facebook page that I had voten NO, a colleague who owns a decent sized business in Argyll stunned me by writing on my page that he "felt sorry for me". I would never have taken him for a YES supporter but he certainly is.

Incidentally in the last couple of days I have heard suggestions of the YES side inviting all their supporters to withdraw their business from banks and businesses who are pushing for a NO vote. Never mind Jim Sillars and his fantasy 1970s Labour nationalisation politics.
  • Options
    Freudian slip, I meant sadly breaking for YES!!!
  • Options
    Jim Sillars on Sky News now making a fool of himself.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244

Incidentally in the last couple of days I have heard suggestions of the YES side inviting all their supporters to withdraw their business from banks and businesses who are pushing for a NO vote. Never mind Jim Sillars and his fantasy 1970s Labour nationalisation politics.

So they're all putting their money under the bed then?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    edited September 2014
    Some of the themes about a reduction in the efficiency of the Labour vote and an overall increase in the efficiency of the Tory vote seem very familiar!
    But the key to this bet is Scotland. If there is a yes I still don't believe that there will be Scottish MPs elected in 2015. If there isn't a major part of the efficiency of the Labour vote will be lost at a stroke making the bet more plausible if still unlikely. Would it be voided though if the number of seats were changed in this way?

I am going to be spending most of the day doing my best to ensure this particular risk does not come to pass.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Some of the themes about a reduction in the efficiency of the Labour vote and an overall increase in the efficiency of the Tory vote seem very familiar!
    But the key to this bet is Scotland. If there is a yes I still don't believe that there will be Scottish MPs elected in 2015. If there isn't a major part of the efficiency of the Labour vote will be lost at a stroke making the bet more plausible if still unlikely. Would it be voided though if the number of seats were changed in this way?

I am going to be spending most of the day doing my best to ensure this particular risk does not come to pass.

Hope you have a successful day David.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,008
    Scott_P said:

Cowardly Scott would be hiding a mile behind Alex , petrified to decide which path to take, he would rather stand where he is and starve to death , frozen in fear , a pathetic quivering jelly with no brains , a complete and utter failure. On his headstone would be written , Here lies a fool and a coward, good for nothing he came to nothing.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Thanks. On your earlier comment I have been working happily with members of the Labour Party and even a Labour MSP throughout. I have used some Labour Party material where that was most likely to be effective. I suffered the trauma of clapping Gordon Brown. His pathetic hatred of all things Tory does not really bother me. It is just one of the psychological flaws that made him unfit to be PM. There are many more. With the Tory vote in the high 90s for no it has not done any damage and if it encourages a few deluded souls in Labour to vote no I can live with it. This is just too important.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    IMO, all this talk of the Indyref race being neck-and-neck is just media hype, based on opinion polls where there remain a high percentage of don’t knows, e.g. 17% in the most recent ICM poll. Sadly, while big banks/businesses and Unionist politicians have been warning of dire consequences should Scots have the temerity to vote YES, in Scotland itself there appears to have been widespread intimidation by over-enthusiastic nationalists of anyone who does not agree with them. IMO, many Scottish voters are therefore not disclosing their views to anyone (including pollsters), but will turn up to vote NO in the secrecy of the polling booth.

I expect a NO majority of at least 10% on 18/9/14, but that Unionist politicians will then renege on their promises to revise devolution, or deliver new arrangements for Scotland that would be much more financially deleterious than independence. Westminster politicians will know that the possibility of secession has been put off for a generation and that their success depends on the views of English voters, not those from the Celtic fringes.
  • Options

Thinking about the campaign I wondered why we hadn’t seen more of the Lost Leader, Charlie Kennedy.
    Maybe of course he’s been active in Scotland and as usual, it’s not reported in the London media.

Saw him once and his face was puffed up and he did not look well, talked crap as well to be fair. Must be hard for him trying to defend Tory and labour positions.
  • Options

Paul I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are easily led rather than being stupid. The rags you mention would make up any lie. There have been zero reports of any window being broken due to NO. Your suspicions are bollocks as well.
  • Options

As with all long-odds bets, I’m not suggesting that this scenario is going to happen. What I do think is that there’s a better than 1 in 67 chance that it will – and on that basis, there’s value.

Efficiency of vote can certainly change, so I wouldn't completely rule it out, but is it more likely than 1-in-67?

There are simply too many counter-indications. We see the Labour vote collapsing even where they are potential contenders - as in Newark. To get most votes and not most seats Labour would need lots of votes in seats they don't win. Pre-UKIP you might have expected lots of votes for Labour in safe Tory seats where Labour voters have previously voted Lib Dem - but those voters are most likely to go for UKIP this time.

You would also need to see a higher turnout in safe Labour seats, but the growth of UKIP in areas such as Rotherham is likely to increase the efficiency of the Labour vote in their northern urban heartlands.

Also, the bar for Labour winning most seats is quite low. Setting aside Lib Dem held seats they need to win only about 25 seats from the Tories to get ahead. The tipping point seat is Hove on a swing of less than 2%. Bearing in mind that in 2010 the Lib Dem's increased their vote most in Lab-Con marginals and it's hard to see why there wouldn't be a bigger Con-Lab swing in the Con-Lab marginals than the national vote totals.

Tory hopes for 2010 lie not so much in the relative efficiency of the Labour or Tory vote, but in Labour losing votes compared to 2010. Here they have reason to hope. I do think that there are Labour 2010 voters who can be persuaded to vote for the Conservatives. There are also lots of Labour 2010 voters who will vote for UKIP. The Lib Dems 2010 voters who will vote Labour may not be numerous enough to offset these losses - particularly if they are the sort of "voters" who didn't manage to vote for the Lib Dems in 2010 anyway....
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

The Better Together brand was doomed as soon as 'Jonah' Brown and chums started pushing their way in. Brown's pathological hatred of all things Tory means that this crazy "United with Labour" has weakened the effectiveness of the campaign.

In the Borders and Highlands, Aberdeenshire, Perthshire and the leafier areas of the Central Belt, Tories and Labour (plus LibDems) have comfortably campaigned together. A perfect example has been the sight of Ken MacKintosh the Labour MSP for Eastwood and Jackson Carlaw his Tory opposite number he beat in 2011, being seen campaigning together. However frothing Broon and chums have been campaigning using the Labour party colours for their United with Labour and many non-Labour voters haven't identified them as part of the NO camp.

It will have been Broon and chums who will have lost the Union. "Wallace" Milibland speaking to rooms full of Labour party activists has done no good for the NO campaign. Last night he spoke to an audience of 400. Those 400 should have been out pounding the streets.

The more UK and foreign institutions "tell" the Scots what is good for us, the more certain that they overwhelming majority of Scots will respond "fcuk off" and vote YES.

OGH has expressed surprise that the Edinburgh postal vote returns so far are only 75% or thereabouts. There has been such a high registration that returning officers have been sending them out in tranches. In Highland, the 2nd tranche were only posted out on Monday. Mine arrived on Tuesday apparently and was posted back on Thursday.

I am delighted that today I will be well away from all the campaigning, surrounded by fellow clansmen and women from all around the world at the Highland Association of Clans International Gathering in Inverness. Last night we had a torchlit procession through Inverness City Centre with roughly 500 people from 20 clans and the salute taken by the Inverness (LibDem) Provost, the Lord Lieutenant and the Earl of Cromartie as Chief of the organising clan, the Mackenzies. It was good to see some of the Clan Chiefs like Godfrey and Lady Claire MacDonald of MacDonald who had made the trip over from Skye. We all appreciated the surprisingly large crowd which lined the fog bound streets at 9pm on a Friday evening.
    Easterross, have a great day
  • Options

Independence at 1 in 4 might be the weak point in the analysis. If independence is a certainty, then the rest of the bet is 2 x 4 x 4 = 33/1, so effectively Shadsy offers Even money against independence. So it is still a bad bet, but on the grounds that true believers can get far better odds backing independence on its own: 7/2 from Ladbrokes.

It's a trading position. Professional punters like OGH only.

IMHO the value bet, if you can find it, is for UKIP to win both pending by-elections.

• Options

He does seem to have lost the plot , but given Margo's death and the hours he has been piling in I would expect the stress to get to him at that age.
  • Options

Sadly, I agree, and expect NO to win by a majority of at least 10%.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Go for it, Jim

@skynewsniall: Jim Sillars giein' it laldy this am - his comments on a "day of reckoning" for BP and others widely reported #indyref http://t.co/nFxILyDe8f
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Thanks. On your earlier comment I have been working happily with members of the Labour Party and even a Labour MSP throughout. I have used some Labour Party material where that was most likely to be effective. I suffered the trauma of clapping Gordon Brown. His pathetic hatred of all things Tory does not really bother me. It is just one of the psychological flaws that made him unfit to be PM. There are many more. With the Tory vote in the high 90s for no it has not done any damage and if it encourages a few deluded souls in Labour to vote no I can live with it. This is just too important.
    Well done David. Keep up the good work.
  • Options

DavidL said:

David, I hope it is as sad a day as normal for NO, you are flogging a dead horse but I admire your determination to keep flogging it. Soon you will be able to put your determination and talents to making a better Scotland.
  • Options
    daodao said:

IMO, all this talk of the Indyref race being neck-and-neck is just media hype, based on opinion polls where there remain a high percentage of don’t knows, e.g. 17% in the most recent ICM poll. Sadly, while big banks/businesses and Unionist politicians have been warning of dire consequences should Scots have the temerity to vote YES, in Scotland itself there appears to have been widespread intimidation by over-enthusiastic nationalists of anyone who does not agree with them. IMO, many Scottish voters are therefore not disclosing their views to anyone (including pollsters), but will turn up to vote NO in the secrecy of the polling booth.

I expect a NO majority of at least 10% on 18/9/14, but that Unionist politicians will then renege on their promises to revise devolution, or deliver new arrangements for Scotland that would be much more financially deleterious than independence. Westminster politicians will know that the possibility of secession has been put off for a generation and that their success depends on the views of English voters, not those from the Celtic fringes.

Another thick Daily Mail reading halfwit spouts diahorrea.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He does seem to have lost the plot , but given Margo's death and the hours he has been piling in I would expect the stress to get to him at that age.
    Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RodCrosby said:

Not in itself. What perhaps makes it ironic is the (until very recently) Scots-only nature of its campaign, as if to say: we are better off united with rUK, even though the English in particular are repugnant liars who would repel the man on the Glasgow omnibus.

Stepping back, perhaps Salmond's first victory was to frame the debate in those terms.

So unable to celebrate Britain, BT's campaign has not been Better Together but rather its corollary, the negative Worse Alone.
    Worse Alone would be a terrible slogan, but it has been a fairly accurate description of much of the negativity of the No campaign. It may work, but only result in a bitter grudging Union. For all their faults, the Orange Order is loyalist in principle.

But the Yes campaign has been very negative too, painting Independence as an easy way to avoid austerity (and not very plausibly).

Whatever the outcome, the process is going to lead to major recriminations as well as lasting damage.

I am increasingly leaning to Yes. I don't see much benefit to England being shackled to a zombie Union.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
    cockroaches are crawling out from under their rocks early today
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Worse Alone would be a terrible slogan, but it has been a fairly accurate description of much of the negativity of the No campaign. It may work, but only result in a bitter grudging Union. For all their faults, the Orange Order is loyalist in principle.

But the Yes campaign has been very negative too, painting Independence as an easy way to avoid austerity (and not very plausibly).

Whatever the outcome, the process is going to lead to major recriminations as well as lasting damage.

I am increasingly leaning to Yes. I don't see much benefit to England being shackled to a zombie Union.
    Fox, they have not said it would be easy , they have said it is the only way to have a chance. Stay with Westminster and austerity is guaranteed , independence and you have a chance to do things differently.
    So it is hope versus NO hope, as you say people will likely grab the olive branch.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David, I hope it is as sad a day as normal for NO, you are flogging a dead horse but I admire your determination to keep flogging it. Soon you will be able to put your determination and talents to making a better Scotland.
    Well thank you Malcolm ( think). I hope you have a pleasant day too.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    See in Guardian this morning that Darling is considering moving from Westminster to Holyrood.Maybe Gordon is moving in the same direction.Up and coming contest for SLAB leadership looming?
  • Options
    rogerh said:

See in Guardian this morning that Darling is considering moving from Westminster to Holyrood.Maybe Gordon is moving in the same direction.Up and coming contest for SLAB leadership looming?

He knows he is jobless in Westminster and unlikely to get ermine after failing to hold the union together, only place he can try to get his snout in would thus be Holyrood. Hopefully we are not stuck with the parasite after independence.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

RodCrosby said:

Oh yes. UKOK was indeed their original slogan/logo. To be fair it was on two lines so it didn't directly spell out You Cock but it was comically bizarre.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Interesting as usual from David. I agree that 66-1 for what is esssentially a quirk in the way voting happens are pretty good odds, and that if Scotland voted Yes it would be a step towards that, since almost the entire "bias in the system" is due to the Tory vote yielding almost no seats in Scotland (in England, the vote:seat ratios are not that different). The LibDem vote in marginals didn't go Labour last time for two reasons, though: first, it seemed a reasonable compromise for people who are anti-Tory but didn't like Brown, and second, the seats didn't feel especially marginal, but rather they felt lost to Labour anyway. Neither factor is relevant now and I do expect the LibDem vote in Con/Lab marginals to collapse, mostly to Labour's benefit.

Still think that the obvious value bet this week is Yes, though - they ought to be no more than 7-4.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

daodao said:

Another thick Daily Mail reading halfwit spouts .........
    You haven't read my post in full, in particular the last 2 sentences, which point out the unfortunate consequences of a NO vote for the people of Scotland. Once the immediate costs of becoming independent are paid, IMO Scotland would be better off both financially and socially as an independent state. I just don't think it's going to happen, and suspect that the wilder nationalist fringes will be partly responsible for putting voters off.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Such an incident would have hit the front pages. And I haven't seen it. Source please?

I'm wondering if it is a garbled reference to an incident where a Glaswegian housing agency reportedly ordered its tenants to remove (presumably mostly Yes) posters.

• Options

RodCrosby said:

Yes, they did.
  • Options
    daodao said:

malcolmg said:

daodao said:

Another thick Daily Mail reading halfwit spouts .........
    You haven't read my post in full, in particular the last 2 sentences, which point out the unfortunate consequences of a NO vote for the people of Scotland. Once the immediate costs of becoming independent are paid, IMO Scotland would be better off both financially and socially as an independent state. I just don't think it's going to happen, and suspect that the wilder nationalist fringes will be partly responsible for putting voters off.
    It will happen and hopefully your conclusion is correct, apologies if you were not influenced by London rags diahorrea and merely pointing out how stupid it was.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    By the way, I'd really discount the "scared no voter" theory (that No has a reserve of voters who won't admit it to the polls). I can see people being nervous about putting up posters (that happens even in Broxtowe, where the probability of someone throwing a stone is virtually zero - the normal reaction when people find their neighbours disagree is mild amusement), but not being nervous filling out an online survey or talking to some anonymous phone interviewer.

The question about the polls is more in the weighting issue - it's very hard to guess whether they are weighting previous non-voters and teenagers correctly. However, with all the polls showing much the same picture, the default assumption must be that they're right and No is marginally ahead right now.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    I've wavered on the wider impact of this political campaign for the past couple of weeks. Can't imagine Labour recovering their position in Scotland after this, second, disaster (the first being offering devolution in 97) I think a tipping point has been reached. Not, as Stuart was suggesting earlier in the week, for Indy - but instead for the total collapse of the red team north of the border. Disgruntled Scots voters who stuck to labour out of familiarity, local custom, heavy Scottish presence in leadership etc will desert the Miliwagon.

In the event of a No next week, which I'm hoping for and can also just about imagine happening, the offer of more Devo for Scots will similarly be so unpopular elsewhere in the UK that more red votes will soften in England - especially in the poorer marginals.

I'm hoping that the political earthquakes of the last 2 weeks will actually shake people out of cosy yet negative outdated political allegiances (e.g. Anyone but Tories). The dynamism of necessary political radicalism has shifted towards the Tories, in some cases it has shifted towards the margins UKIP, SNP - people of my generation (under 30, just) would simply not consider voting old labour, they won't forgive new labour, and only see palatable radical change (away from ever growing state) from the blues.

Could it be that saddling my generation with student debts was yet another failure of the last 15 years - it provokes an awful lot less faith in the truth or fairness of universal welfarism - and provokes 30 years of balancing the budgets, reducing the scope of the state and more emphasis on personal responsibility?

(Another lurker (10+ years), coming in from the cold.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Such an incident would have hit the front pages. And I haven't seen it. Source please?

I'm wondering if it is a garbled reference to an incident where a Glaswegian housing agency reportedly ordered its tenants to remove (presumably mostly Yes) posters.

Carnyx, it is usual bollocks straight from Daily Mail , by a thick stupid , ignorant half witted Daily mail reader.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

rogerh said:

He knows he is jobless in Westminster and unlikely to get ermine after failing to hold the union together, only place he can try to get his snout in would thus be Holyrood. Hopefully we are not stuck with the parasite after independence.
    I think both Darling and Brown see no future for themselves at Westminster. With some form of Devomax having to include EVFEL I can see that there will be fewer and fewer politically ambitious Scots at Westminster.

Any Devomax solution is just a halfway house to independence in a decade or so; better to do it now and skip the tedious wrangling over devomax.

I agree that the value bet is on Yes, with the polls so close, but look to be getting longer.
  • Options

I would put independence at less than 1 in 4. When the Yes-leading YouGov came out, I'd have had it at 6/4 and I'd still have it in that kind of area. The current odds are crazy.

I'd also put the chance of a Labour lead in the 0-2% range at less than the 7/1 you suggest. I think it's very unlikely that a lead for either party will be more than 5% with precisely the Lab0-2 as the most likely option. I don't think that 4/1 is unrealistic. (Though obviously, the further from zero the lead, the less likely a Con lead in seats).

So my working assumption was that the condition re how the votes shift between Lib Dem and Lab, and Con and UKIP only has to be less than 4/1 for there to be some value.
  • Options

By the way, I'd really discount the "scared no voter" theory (that No has a reserve of voters who won't admit it to the polls). I can see people being nervous about putting up posters (that happens even in Broxtowe, where the probability of someone throwing a stone is virtually zero - the normal reaction when people find their neighbours disagree is mild amusement), but not being nervous filling out an online survey or talking to some anonymous phone interviewer.

The question about the polls is more in the weighting issue - it's very hard to guess whether they are weighting previous non-voters and teenagers correctly. However, with all the polls showing much the same picture, the default assumption must be that they're right and No is marginally ahead right now.

That would only be the assumption if you are for NO and need a comfort blanket to save you facing the truth. It looks very likely that Jonah has done it once again, once the great clunking halfwit got started on his lies it was game over on any chance of NO being in the game. The man is a maniac , lumbering about a stage in front of hand picked sock puppets and promising the world when we know he is a broken troughing has been with no influence is guaranteed to harden the YES vote.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,593
    RodCrosby said:

Did Sinn Fein really use such an incontinent slogan?

Brilliant!

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

malcolmg said:

rogerh said:

I think both Darling and Brown see no future for themselves at Westminster. With some form of Devomax having to include EVFEL I can see that there will be fewer and fewer politically ambitious Scots at Westminster.

Any Devomax solution is just a halfway house to independence in a decade or so; better to do it now and skip the tedious wrangling over devomax.

I agree that the value bet is on Yes, with the polls so close, but look to be getting longer.
    Scottish Labour have just realised they have been fighting the wrong enemy for the last 10 years.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx, it is usual bollocks straight from Daily Mail , by a thick stupid , ignorant half witted Daily mail reader.
    I made a point of stating that I had read such articles in the Guardian, not just the Mail.

The broken windows report was, as I said on a forum (a non politiical webforum) on a fairly civilized "off topic" discussion on indyref. The poster does not strike me as having an agenda. The post is #272 on this page.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=105183&page=19

The rudeness of your above post inferring that I am a "thick stupid , ignorant half witted Daily mail reader", does I feel, rather prove my point.

• Options
    MattW said:

RodCrosby said:

Did Sinn Fein really use such an incontinent slogan?

Brilliant!

It.s what sinn (we) fein (self) means in Irish.

Our own people might be a better translation or just "Us"
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

I made a point of stating that I had read such articles in the Guardian, not just the Mail.

The broken windows report was, as I said in a non politiical webforum on a fairly civilized "off topic" discussion on indyref. The poster does not strike me as having an agenda. The post is #272 on this page.

The rudeness of your above post inferring that I am a "thick stupid , ignorant half witted Daily mail reader", does I feel, rather prove my point.

However you did post blatant lies with no foundation, purely to abuse Scottish people and YES supporters. You are therefore an ignorant halfwit. An intelligent person would perhaps wondered if it had been reported in Scotland rather than just in rabid unionist London rags.
  • Options

I'd agree so far as polling is concerned Nick. After all those who agree to take part in such polls ( don't) have already agreed to give their opinion.

Going around the doors there are quite a number of people who have said that they have made up their minds but that they are not telling anyone but that is a different phenomenon from polling.

My guess, FWIW, is that No is still marginally ahead but the gap is such that a strong finish by Yes could overcome that. I think the risk of differential turnout in favour of yes has largely, if not completely, been dealt with because the closeness of the polls has energised the No vote.

One interesting feature is that pretty much everyone who I come in contact with who has already voted has voted no. As I have said before this reflects the demographics of those that tend to use postal votes to some extent but it is really noticeable. Yes supporters are much keener to vote and to be seen to vote (I think) on the day. I suppose if you feel you are going to be a part of something historic that makes a kind of sense.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Given the increasingly bad-tempered atmosphere, I do know genuinely wonder whether the losing side (whether Yes or No) is actually going to accept a close referendum result.

Cries of foul play have already started (from both sides).

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The broken windows report was, as I said in a non politiical webforum on a fairly civilized "off topic" discussion on indyref. The poster does not strike me as having an agenda. The post is #272 on this page.

However you did post blatant lies with no foundation, purely to abuse Scottish people and YES supporters. You are therefore an ignorant halfwit. An intelligent person would perhaps wondered if it had been reported in Scotland rather than just in rabid unionist London rags.
    No I did not post "blatant lies with no foundation, purely to abuse Scottish people and YES supporters". For the alleged broken window incident. I've given you my (Edinburgh) source from a nonpolitical public webforum, not a "rabid unionist London rag".

Furthermore the Guardian today quotes extensively from Alistair Darling who states "But what I think is unacceptable is where a line has been crossed, where people feel afraid to speak out. This has been a feature, it's not just businesses, it's people in the arts world, just individuals scared of speaking out.."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/12/alistair-darling-accuses-scottish-yes-camp-physical-verbal-abuse-independence

Sorry but your responses to my post, do the YES campaign no credit whatsoever.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I'd agree so far as polling is concerned Nick. After all those who agree to take part in such polls ( don't) have already agreed to give their opinion.

Going around the doors there are quite a number of people who have said that they have made up their minds but that they are not telling anyone but that is a different phenomenon from polling.

My guess, FWIW, is that No is still marginally ahead but the gap is such that a strong finish by Yes could overcome that. I think the risk of differential turnout in favour of yes has largely, if not completely, been dealt with because the closeness of the polls has energised the No vote.

One interesting feature is that pretty much everyone who I come in contact with who has already voted has voted no. As I have said before this reflects the demographics of those that tend to use postal votes to some extent but it is really noticeable. Yes supporters are much keener to vote and to be seen to vote (I think) on the day. I suppose if you feel you are going to be a part of something historic that makes a kind of sense.
    Yes, I think it's all going to come down to which way the waverers decide to vote. The messaging of BT in the last few days is going to be crucial. Emphasis on our shared history, and the Scottish contribution to it is the way to go. Hysterical Englishmen warning of the dire economic consequences of separation is not (the agenda is palpable), which is why I'm rather worried about the nature of this morning's front pages.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Bollocks!! Spinning like a wheel and acting like a rebuttal service for the SNP/Yes campaign is not trying to inject some accuracy into this debate. Please don't insult our intelligence by trying to claim that you are somehow a 'neutral bystander' seeking to add some balance to the debate.

Most posters on this site have a damn sight more integrity than you, and they are happy to be open and honest about nailing their own political leaning to the mast when debating on here, what ever their political persuasions. And as a result, that can often enhance rather undermine their contributions to the site. Two of the best contributors to this site over the years were Libdems, the late SBS and Yellow Submarine. Both much missed, although I know Yellow Submarine has briefly surfaced recently. And lets not forget that OGH is a Libdem too. :)

Oh dear. Not sure what I have done to upset you, but the fact that the Yes movement is not just the SNP is an absolutely fundamental issue in understanding indyref. To imply otherwise is as unwise as it is to imply that Alistair Darling is a Tory, or that the Orange Order are doing the bidding of Blair McDougall.

I (a) am not a SNP member, (b) obviously - and overtly as in that posting you quote - support the Yes campaign, and (c) was trying to point out some serious errors of fact, and therefore of analysis, in reporting and discussion of the indyref debate. Those serious errors were being posted and accepted as gospel on this site. It's not good for any southern PBer, for instance, to be led to believe that Mr Sillars is a leader of the SNP. Correcting that throws light also on the newspaper (and presumably BT) strategy involved. All good and proper meat for discussion here.

I'm sure that a hypothetical SNP rebuttal service might say something similar. But that doesn't mean it is wrong.

I can think of some other aspects of the Sillars affair, and their impact on the vote which would not occur to our south of the border colleagues less familir with Scottish politics, but after your unpleasant personal attack I just can't be bothered to explore it more. I come to this website precisely to make sure I'm not in a pro-indy confirmation bias bubble, and have often been put right (to my benefit) by such as Mr Nabavi, to take just one recent and appreciated example. However, it works both ways, and I see that the Buckfast joke count indicator is climbing, which is always a bad sign. I'd probably be best to jack it in.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

I've wavered on the wider impact of this political campaign for the past couple of weeks. Can't imagine Labour recovering their position in Scotland after this, second, disaster (the first being offering devolution in 97) I think a tipping point has been reached. Not, as Stuart was suggesting earlier in the week, for Indy - but instead for the total collapse of the red team north of the border. Disgruntled Scots voters who stuck to labour out of familiarity, local custom, heavy Scottish presence in leadership etc will desert the Miliwagon.

In the event of a No next week, which I'm hoping for and can also just about imagine happening, the offer of more Devo for Scots will similarly be so unpopular elsewhere in the UK that more red votes will soften in England - especially in the poorer marginals.

I'm hoping that the political earthquakes of the last 2 weeks will actually shake people out of cosy yet negative outdated political allegiances (e.g. Anyone but Tories). The dynamism of necessary political radicalism has shifted towards the Tories, in some cases it has shifted towards the margins UKIP, SNP - people of my generation (under 30, just) would simply not consider voting old labour, they won't forgive new labour, and only see palatable radical change (away from ever growing state) from the blues.

Could it be that saddling my generation with student debts was yet another failure of the last 15 years - it provokes an awful lot less faith in the truth or fairness of universal welfarism - and provokes 30 years of balancing the budgets, reducing the scope of the state and more emphasis on personal responsibility?

(Another lurker (10+ years), coming in from the cold.

Welcome inside to another lurker - the referendum is having the excellent effect of encouraging more contributors.

FWIW I think you overestimate the salience of the Scottish issue to most English voters. The SeanTs who feel passionately about it, or the West Lothian Question, or EV4EL, are a minority who are mostly already committed to a party - that's why the Tories, who would gain most from EV4EL, haqven't been pushing it. I also think that few people see palatable change from anyone, unfortunately - no sign whatever that young people are rushing to back the Tories, but also not anyone else. The Greens and UKIP benefit from that, as they purport to offer a simple solution, so some are inclined to give them a spin.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the narrowing

Scotland rather than just in rabid unionist London rags.
    No I did not post "blatant lies with no foundation, purely to abuse Scottish people and YES supporters". For the alleged broken window incident. I've given you my (Edinburgh) source from a nonpolitical public webforum, not a "rabid unionist London rag".

Furthermore the Guardian today quotes extensively from Alistair Darling who states "But what I think is unacceptable is where a line has been crossed, where people feel afraid to speak out. This has been a feature, it's not just businesses, it's people in the arts world, just individuals scared of speaking out.."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/12/alistair-darling-accuses-scottish-yes-camp-physical-verbal-abuse-independence

Sorry but your responses to my post, do the YES campaign no credit whatsoever.
    So you just repeated the words of a person known to be unfamiliar with the truth who does not mention windows, some lies from Daily Mail and an anecdote from some halfwit on a non political forum. You are not making me warm to your cause or change my first opinions.. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are easily taken in rather than malicious.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Carnyx
    You are a handy antidote to the normal raving on here, and as such would be sorely missed.
  • Options
    Welcome Mortimer and thanks for delurking. You seem a very sensible chap!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

fitalass said:

Bollocks!! Spinning like a wheel and acting like a rebuttal service for the SNP/Yes campaign is not trying to inject some accuracy into this debate. Please don't insult our intelligence by trying to claim that you are somehow a 'neutral bystander' seeking to add some balance to the debate.

Most posters on this site have a damn sight more integrity than you, and they are happy to be open and honest about nailing their own political leaning to the mast when debating on here, what ever their political persuasions. And as a result, that can often enhance rather undermine their contributions to the site. Two of the best contributors to this site over the years were Libdems, the late SBS and Yellow Submarine. Both much missed, although I know Yellow Submarine has briefly surfaced recently. And lets not forget that OGH is a Libdem too. :)

our south of the border colleagues less familir with Scottish politics, but after your unpleasant personal attack I just can't be bothered to explore it more. I come to this website precisely to make sure I'm not in a pro-indy confirmation bias bubble, and have often been put right (to my benefit) by such as Mr Nabavi, to take just one recent and appreciated example. However, it works both ways, and I see that the Buckfast joke count indicator is climbing, which is always a bad sign. I'd probably be best to jack it in.

Carnyx , Another blind Tory who likes to write drivel and pontificate and ridicule people's opinions but has skin as thin as rice paper when called out on her lies and delusions. Another of the stupid frothers on here who have limited horizons and cannot see beyond their narrow viewpoints and are unable to take any opposite opinions as anything other than an insult. Best ignored
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

The broken windows report was, as I said on a forum (a non politiical webforum) on a fairly civilized "off topic" discussion on indyref. The poster does not strike me as having an agenda. The post is #272 on this page.

Ah, thank you for taking the trouble.

What the poster is saying however that a block of flats near him has etc.

It does not say that he saw it himself, as his admission that he can't remember where it was tends to confirm, and his link is a generic Google search for intimidation Scotland, so he is remembering something that he read.

When I try to refine it with the addition of windows broken flats, I get just one hit - but it is to a car fire which broke windows in the adjacent block of flats in Stirling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-29177100

Even when I omit flats I get remarkably few hits and some are irrelevant.

If you can find it, then great, but I would be genuinely surprised, for, as I said before, if it had really happened it would be all over the media: it'd be a gift for them.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Carnyx
    You are a handy antidote to the normal raving on here, and as such would be sorely missed.

Agreed. I don't know what occasioned fitalass' attack, but I find Carynx's posts to be thoughtful and polite - as is clearly evident from the response below.
  • Options
    Malc - In your open honest and unbiased personal opinion what do you think the outcome will be? Clearly you're saying a YES - but by how much?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited September 2014

TBF I think you can put the theory better than "scared". If you've got one side that's all hope and pride and romance while the other side is running on fear, uncertainty and doubt, you might prefer to tell _yourself_ that you're with yes or still on the fence when answering a poll that won't affect anything, but then when you know your vote actually counts jump to no.

That said, I think it's generally best not to get too clever and "correct" for polls, because there's so much room for cognitive bias. Generally if the polling average says X leads 3% over Y, the most likely of the outcomes is for X to lead 3% over Y, and each point in either direction gets progressively less likely.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    I suspect the reason that the West Lothian Question & the Barnett formula impact to date have had little impact in England is due to low English voter awareness.

Let's roll forward to post the election and little Ed's in power by virtue of Scottish & Welsh seats. If Labour change English taxes, or English education, or English NHS by dint of their non English MP's, the English will be in revolt.

If the Tories do not make a huge play of being the party for England over the next 8 months, they are idiots. You can guarantee UKIP will if they don't. Labour of course can't as they are the ones who reap the rewards of our dodgy "democracy".
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

It does not say that he saw it himself, as his admission that he can't remember where it was tends to confirm, and his link is a generic Google search for intimidation Scotland, so he is remembering something that he read.

When I try to refine it with the addition of windows broken flats, I get just one hit - but it is to a car fire which broke windows in the adjacent block of flats in Stirling.

If you can find it, then great, but I would be genuinely surprised, for, as I said before, if it had really happened it would be all over the media: it'd be a gift for them.

Thank you for a civilised response Carnyx (unlike certain others who I could mention). As I have said before, as a UKIP supporter I am instinctively sympathetic to the idea of YES. However an honest debate is needed in which the inevitable cost and hardships of independence in the first 10-20 years need to be balanced against the benefits of running you own affairs., and sadly this just has not happened.

Frankly, the impression I get is that the nats are their own worst enemies.
  • Options
    @Carnyx
    True or not,both sides have their mindless idiots.
    I would hazard a guess that their are parts of Larkhall where a "yes" poster might attract the attention of a drunk adolescent or two.
  • Options
    Saddo

Dave can have a landslide if he pushes the right buttons on:

Devolution / Scotland / England / WLQ / equality for all citizens
    Rotherham / multiculti / Labour vote buying
    Economic recovery / Brown and Balls / 'not those muppets again'
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Thank you for a civilised response Carnyx (unlike certain others who I could mention). As I have said before, as a UKIP supporter I am instinctively sympathetic to the idea of YES. However an honest debate is needed in which the inevitable cost and hardships of independence in the first 10-20 years need to be balanced against the benefits of running you own affairs., and sadly this just has not happened.

when they split they will be.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    The SNP will only really split on a "Yes" vote, As long as the "cause" is there, they will survive.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    If the atmosphere in real life remotely approaches that on line, Scotland is in for a rough ride regardless of Thursday's result.

Fortunately, the more "active" posters on line are invariably cowards when stripped of their keyboards and anonymity, so are unlikely to come face to face with the targets of their on line heroism.
  • Options
    @saddened
    You will be glad to know that, in my neck of the woods at least, we seem to be taking it all in our stride.
    The one conclusion we have mutually agreed on is nobody is telling the truth.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I think you're being a little unfair: aren't (2) and (3) really the same point - or at least it should be at the 1 in 4 odds not at 1 in 8 [i.e 2 *4] that you are suggesting.

This would put your implied odds at 1 in 64 - pretty much where the bookies are.
  • Options
    surprising from Gardham who has been staunch NO..............https://archive.today/TC8va
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    The SNP will only really split on a "Yes" vote, As long as the "cause" is there, they will survive.

The coalition that is the SNP is inherently unstable. Post indyref what's to keep them together ? The left will want to pull left to an ultra purer republic the business bloc will take stock and maybe decice Devo Max is what they want. The centre won't hold.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Smarmeron said:

@saddened
    You will be glad to know that, in my neck of the woods at least, we seem to be taking it all in our stride.
    The one conclusion we have mutually agreed on is nobody is telling the truth.

Good to hear, as I say the keyboard commandos tend to remain quiet when forced to enter real life which makes for a better experience for everyone.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Meanwhile, a study by Deutsche Bank said a Yes vote for Scottish independence would "go down in history as a political and economic mistake" on a par with Winston Churchill’s decision in 1925 to return the pound to the Gold Standard or the failures by the Federal Reserve in America that triggered the Great Depression in the 1930s.

.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11093574/Scotland-heading-for-a-Great-Depression-after-a-Yes-vote.html

If this came to pass many would need to be on David Herdson 66-1 suggestion.

I hope in the final week it goes to a decisive vote and not a 50 -50 near draw.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,827
    edited September 2014

Interesting as usual from David. I agree that 66-1 for what is esssentially a quirk in the way voting happens are pretty good odds, and that if Scotland voted Yes it would be a step towards that, since almost the entire "bias in the system" is due to the Tory vote yielding almost no seats in Scotland (in England, the vote:seat ratios are not that different). The LibDem vote in marginals didn't go Labour last time for two reasons, though: first, it seemed a reasonable compromise for people who are anti-Tory but didn't like Brown, and second, the seats didn't feel especially marginal, but rather they felt lost to Labour anyway. Neither factor is relevant now and I do expect the LibDem vote in Con/Lab marginals to collapse, mostly to Labour's benefit.

Still think that the obvious value bet this week is Yes, though - they ought to be no more than 7-4.

I will be voting Yes on Thursday but, just in case, I have a modest wager on Yes 45%-50% at 2/1.

On topic, I think the greatest decline in the LD vote in 2015 will be in those seats where they were 2nd to Labour 2010, so that aids David's theory.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    I would assume that on a "no" they will lose some support, but that they will still be a major force.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Malc - In your open honest and unbiased personal opinion what do you think the outcome will be? Clearly you're saying a YES - but by how much?

Patrick, putting me on the spot. I think the lies this week will change some people's mind , my own daughter is wobbling re finances , mortgages etc, but overall it will have hardened opinions to YES. Th emillionaire MP's taking a day trip, Effete Westminster party leaders talking to selected groups behind locked doors and dullards like Brown and Farage trying to feel important will all drive people to Yes.
    I think in region of 55% YES is a reasonable number, but the sense of optimism may really change things.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Saddo

I completely agree, but I'm sure he's got the killer instinct in him to deliver the narrative. I hope he has or others around him force it through eg Ossie, Boris, Gove
  • Options
    Bleak assessment of the financial future for solo Scotland by Martin Wolf in this morning's FT:

Almost certainly no currency union, Scotland in the ERM with its own, soft, currency awaiting the Euro, massive debt liabilities etc etc:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/67017a0a-390d-11e4-9526-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz3DBIgSQ1I
  • Options
    saddo said:

Patrick said:

Saddo

I completely agree, but I'm sure he's got the killer instinct in him to deliver the narrative. I hope he has or others around him force it through eg Ossie, Boris, Gove
    Sorry, I question his lack of killer instinct
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke

The coalition that is the SNP is inherently unstable. Post indyref what's to keep them together ? The left will want to pull left to an ultra purer republic the business bloc will take stock and maybe decice Devo Max is what they want. The centre won't hold.
    I agree. There are many Scottish centre right minded people who don't support the Tories because they think that leads nowhere in Scotland. A 'not SLAB' voting block. The outright nastiness and hard leftiness of the SNP campaign will have a chunk of them looking elsewhere in May.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Civilised honest debate needs honest sensible people, not idiots that spread propaganda and lies as facts.
This discussion has been closed.