Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s local By-Election Results

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    RodCrosby said:

'Will two days of Protestant supremacist imagery on the news bulletins add to that effect? Labour MPs have been sufficiently worried to plead privately with the Orange Order to stand down its march. They can now look forward to a day or so of TV news bulletins showing the union jack in the possession of Ian Paisley, the Orange Order and for good measure, up on a visit tonight, Nigel Farage. Not the grid Better Together would want.' - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/paisleys-death-revives-memories-sectarian-scotland/29141#sthash.VkXxba9k.dpuf

you mean you're not marching Rod ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Unlucky Jim. Not this time

@journodave: Well, tomorrow's @Daily_Record is certainly not pulling any punches in #indyref http://t.co/sIxMLyFBsW

Would the view of a German bank really matter to anyone?
    Maybe not on their own.

They are not the only people speaking out though are they?

drip, drip, drip
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,123
    TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

"ROYAL Mile publicans have been warned to expect clashes between football fans during an Orange Order march through the city centre tomorrow.

The Evening News understands pub owners have been told by police that groups of Hibs and Rangers fans are planning to cause trouble at the controversial event, being held just days before the referendum.

With supporters set to arrive from as far afield as London, it is also understood a counter-demonstration will be held at Holyrood.

However, police and city licensing chiefs today said they were unaware of any official protest scheduled to coincide with tomorrow’s procession, which will see around 12,000 Orange Lodge members march from the Meadows to Regent Road.

Organisers said the event would be the largest held in Scotland since July 1951..."
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/violence-warning-ahead-of-orange-order-march-1-3539494

Garbage. Rangers played tonight in Fife. Won't be anywhere near this tomorrow.

But some fans may feel like visiting the Museum of Childhood or the Writer's Museum tomorrow. You never know.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I think the SNP could have made THE key mistake of this campaign with their "Day of Reckoning" rhetoric.

Win or lose, after the referendum they should be looking to mend fences and heal what will be a community that's deeply divided.

I am struggling a bit with this one.

I want a No vote because I want Scotland to remain a prosperous part of a Great Nation, and I despair for the economic tragedy that the SNP are willing upon my friends and family, but...

...much of the damage is done.

If there is a No, the bastards will get away with it.

If there is a Yes, they will face a day of reckoning. Cold comfort for millions. but the least they deserve
    So in spite of the fact that one way or another close to half of the population may well be voting in favour of Independence next Thursday you would have denied them that right and consider them all to be bastards?

That's a nice democratic position to hold - where even wanting a vote on an issue makes someone a bastard.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Daily Record front page a cracker - can't find a link.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I think the SNP could have made THE key mistake of this campaign with their "Day of Reckoning" rhetoric.

Win or lose, after the referendum they should be looking to mend fences and heal what will be a community that's deeply divided.

I am struggling a bit with this one.

I want a No vote because I want Scotland to remain a prosperous part of a Great Nation, and I despair for the economic tragedy that the SNP are willing upon my friends and family, but...

...much of the damage is done.

If there is a No, the bastards will get away with it.

If there is a Yes, they will face a day of reckoning. Cold comfort for millions. but the least they deserve
    So in spite of the fact that one way or another close to half of the population may well be voting in favour of Independence next Thursday you would have denied them that right and consider them all to be bastards?

That's a nice democratic position to hold - where even wanting a vote on an issue makes someone a bastard.

Hear hear.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

@ Carnyx

Not sure. It's near Swanbister and certainly overlooks Scapa Flow right on the coast. It was simply the graveyard with the best view ( if you know what I mean) I've ever seen. It's near a farm called Waterslap where my great grand parents had a few cows I believe.
  • Options
    And just to remind some folk on PB of the reality -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/12/scotland-vote-braveheart-nationalism-democracy-independence

"It is striking that the referendum has turned out not to be about certain things: Braveheart, kilts, the saltire, hating Sassenachs, Rabbie Burns, Renton’s rant in Trainspotting about the Scots allowing themselves to be “colonised by wankers”. The language of tribal nationalism is starkly unspoken. For an issue of such moment, the debate has been remarkably civilised and thoughtful. If you’re Irish, you can only look on in admiration and envy: Scotland has the opportunity to acquire independence without murders, without civil wars, without partition, without a toxic bitterness being passed on through generations. There have been a few nasty incidents and there may be more but having an egg thrown at you or being abused on Twitter is not quite like being put against the wall and shot."
    [...]

"For while it is the Scottish Question that is on the ballot paper, it is the British Question that is really on the table. Alongside the absence of nationalist sentimentality on one side of the argument, there is something equally remarkable on the other: the inability of the no campaign to articulate a coherent, passionate and convincing case for the existing United Kingdom seems, from the outside, quite staggering."

Anyway, goodnight. And looking forward (?) to the next poll, and the next scare do jour.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

"ROYAL Mile publicans have been warned to expect clashes between football fans during an Orange Order march through the city centre tomorrow.

The Evening News understands pub owners have been told by police that groups of Hibs and Rangers fans are planning to cause trouble at the controversial event, being held just days before the referendum.

With supporters set to arrive from as far afield as London, it is also understood a counter-demonstration will be held at Holyrood.

However, police and city licensing chiefs today said they were unaware of any official protest scheduled to coincide with tomorrow’s procession, which will see around 12,000 Orange Lodge members march from the Meadows to Regent Road.

Organisers said the event would be the largest held in Scotland since July 1951..."
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/violence-warning-ahead-of-orange-order-march-1-3539494

But some fans may feel like visiting the Museum of Childhood or the Writer's Museum tomorrow. You never know.

So might some vegetarians.

Arrest them all ?
  • Options
    Is the truth of Scotland's wealth and its role in underpinning the UK economy dawning on international investors?

Investors pulled $27 billion out of UK financial assets last month - the biggest capital outflow since the Lehman crisis in 2008 - as concern mounted about the economic and financial consequences if Scotland left the UK, according to Reuters.

Furthermore, Morgan Stanley said daily equity flow data pointed to "some of the largest UK equity selling on record."

As investments in London are closing at a rapid pace Scots are asking how it is that an insignificant, benefit scrounging, subsidy junky, subsidised region that is is lucky to be in the UK - as Scots are continually reminded - could cause such financial distress for London?

Many voters as well as investors are concluding that it is the potential loss of the oil revenues that is leading to scare stories coming out of sources in or linked to London City and Westminster.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Is the truth of Scotland's wealth and its role in underpinning the UK economy dawning on international investors?

Investors pulled $27 billion out of UK financial assets last month - the biggest capital outflow since the Lehman crisis in 2008 - as concern mounted about the economic and financial consequences if Scotland left the UK, according to Reuters.

Furthermore, Morgan Stanley said daily equity flow data pointed to "some of the largest UK equity selling on record."

As investments in London are closing at a rapid pace Scots are asking how it is that an insignificant, benefit scrounging, subsidy junky, subsidised region that is is lucky to be in the UK - as Scots are continually reminded - could cause such financial distress for London?

Many voters as well as investors are concluding that it is the potential loss of the oil revenues that is leading to scare stories coming out of sources in or linked to London City and Westminster.

Well spotted. Companies are falling over themselves trying to invest in iEckland.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

@ Carnyx

Not sure. It's near Swanbister and certainly overlooks Scapa Flow right on the coast. It was simply the graveyard with the best view ( if you know what I mean) I've ever seen. It's near a farm called Waterslap where my great grand parents had a few cows I believe.

On checking, it's indeed the next bay along (more or less) from where the Houton ferry terminal (for Hoy) is. Must go and have another Orcadian holiday when the long days return. I'm Lothian and Borders with a strong infusion of Aberdeenshire Doric myself!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

GIN1138 said:

No, they key mistake of this campaign has been their ineptitude over currency. If they had just said from the beginning they'd aim for a currency union, but if that's not possible they'd use a Scottish pound, then it would have been fine.
    Have to agree! Or just say iCurrency is plan A even better. All the uncertainty would have gone.. They still might get away with it though as all the scare stories from Better Together have immunised the voters to genuine fears..

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Rod: updated the prediction spreadsheet with final electorate figures:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBxvVgbyO_msx2eJxVbUlh6MubdD4-fZ-UIBFkwNIaI/edit#gid=0
  • Options

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Bit of news - Labour lose control of Inverclyde council thanks to defection over indyref.

http://www.inverclydenow.com/photostream/12852-labour-lose-control-of-council-as-councillor-goes-independent

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent front page: Fear and loathing in the battle for Scotland http://t.co/bp106HFTo6

If Jim Sillars is a Nationalist leader I'm a Panda at the Edinburgh Zoo. Utterly discredits the piece within the first three words.

You are right of course, but it's the impression all this is giving when combined with the other pronouncements of Yes. Believe me it looks bloody awful from 400 miles away. Scotland is getting hurt whatever the result and it pains me, I've got friends and relatives there ( I'm pretty certain I could claim a passport myself if there's a Yes due to my family background).
    Quite. I suppose that if it weren't Mr Sillars it would be someone else - or just queues in South African polling stations or Norwegian fish. However, people are noticing here too. So I'm just wondering if this approach is as productive vote-wise as it might have seemed.

On passports, the White Paper has proposals - subject of course to confirmation.

What is the passports proposal by the way? My grandad was born in Scotland do I qualify? ( Not that I'm taking it up - just idle curiosity)
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/11

Rediscovering your inner Gododdin would seem an option then?
    Thank you. Indeed it does, though I'm descended from that lot on my mother's side ( great grand father, who came from Dalbeattie/Kirkcudbright) but my paternal grandfather was born in Stromness in Orkney, so it's less my inner Gododdin than my Eric Blood Axe the Viking ( or whatever name my Norwegian forebear had). I went to Orkney a few years ago and found a graveyard full of my relatives. There was a blue plaque on the local church saying it had been the site of a Viking drinking hall, which I thought was a great place for the relatives to be buried!
    small world, my maternal grandfather was also born in Kirkcudbright.
    We might be related! Actually I have a friend from university from Ruthin in N Wales whose family goes back there to the year dot. We worked out my great great great grandmother from Ruthin who shared my friend's maiden name was in all likelihood her great great great grandmother too.
  • Options

Static Indy poll = it's a disaster for Yes, unseemly triumphalism, complacency
    Threat of good poll for Yes =panty wetting, quivering lips, snotters
    Good poll for Yes = rage, squirrel finding, plucking at straws based on almost complete ignorance of Scottish politics

Lather, rinse, repeat.

makes you wonder why the vote wasn't 18 months ago to avoid this tedious crap.
    You've repeated the tedious crap line so often I assume you must have been in Scotland in the last 18 months. You should have dropped me a line, I'd have bought you a fine Scottish pint with GB pounds.
    I was on hols in the borders and Edinburgh last year, but I thought you're West coast no ?
    Glasgow, but we do occasionally venture out of the ghetto (or welcome metropolitan sophisticates).
    ever go SOTB ?
    Only cheap deal visits to London over the last few years. Unfortunately the business I work in is dying on it's arse so subsidised travel is very much off the menu.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    RodCrosby said:

'Will two days of Protestant supremacist imagery on the news bulletins add to that effect? Labour MPs have been sufficiently worried to plead privately with the Orange Order to stand down its march. They can now look forward to a day or so of TV news bulletins showing the union jack in the possession of Ian Paisley, the Orange Order and for good measure, up on a visit tonight, Nigel Farage. Not the grid Better Together would want.' - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/paisleys-death-revives-memories-sectarian-scotland/29141#sthash.VkXxba9k.dpuf

Sounds great to me. The orange, the purple, the red white and blue should be part of British patriotism.

• Options

ROFLMAO

that's it, Scotland is the biggest and richest economy in the world, this time next year you'll be millionaires Mcdelboy.

# toostupid
  • Options

It's a laugh, isn't it? I hope mummy and daddy are taking every precaution for precious wee Dougie's future.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

You surely must have seen an Orange walk? All the hangers on bedecked in their Rangers tops.
    And they have the day off from football.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Boris is the candidate for Uxbridge

Well there's a surprise!
  • Options

Good poll for Yes = rage, squirrel finding, plucking at straws based on almost complete ignorance of Scottish politics

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You've repeated the tedious crap line so often I assume you must have been in Scotland in the last 18 months. You should have dropped me a line, I'd have bought you a fine Scottish pint with GB pounds.
    I was on hols in the borders and Edinburgh last year, but I thought you're West coast no ?
    Glasgow, but we do occasionally venture out of the ghetto (or welcome metropolitan sophisticates).
    ever go SOTB ?
    Only cheap deal visits to London over the last few years. Unfortunately the business I work in is dying on it's arse so subsidised travel is very much off the menu.

sorry to hear that, but it has been years since I;ve been to Glasgow so if I'm up I'll stand you a pint if you're about. I was half thinking of going up forn the Games but work meant I couldn't. Shame.

Anyway off to bed, have a good evening.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBxvVgbyO_msx2eJxVbUlh6MubdD4-fZ-UIBFkwNIaI/edit#gid=0

If your table is right then the Western Isles are a steal at 8/1 for highest Yes vote at Ladbrokes.

How did you derive your data?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    AndyJS said:

Scottish Electorate:

2011 (per Boundary Commission) - 3,928k
    Today - 4,285k

Change - Up 357k (9%)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

@ Carnyx

On checking, it's indeed the next bay along (more or less) from where the Houton ferry terminal (for Hoy) is. Must go and have another Orcadian holiday when the long days return. I'm Lothian and Borders with a strong infusion of Aberdeenshire Doric myself!
    We were impressed with Orkney. Really cool place. Loved Maes Howe and the Viking graffiti (the runic "Ingemar is the sexiest girl in Sweden" was great). My dad was offered a place to go back to his uncle's firm in the late 50's but declined, otherwise I might be there now and not in the different world of Cardiff.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

AndyJS said:

If your table is right then the Western Isles are a steal at 8/1 for highest Yes vote at Ladbrokes.

My own personal predictions based on lots of different factors. I'm not that confident about some of the council area forecasts. I was hoping other people would have a go as well so I wouldn't be the only one looking stupid on election night!

The Western Isles are of course largely Gaellic speaking so it seems likely it'll have the highest Yes vote, but there is the slight complication of Protestants and Catholics in that area who might vote differently to each other.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

My own personal predictions based on lots of different factors. I'm not that confident about some of the council area forecasts. I was hoping other people would have a go as well so I wouldn't be the only one looking stupid on election night!
    It's more knowledge than I have over the geography of the referendum. I have put a few quid on to keep it interesting.

• Options
    MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Scottish Electorate:

Today - 4,285k

Change - Up 357k (9%)
    Most of that increase is apparently from poor voters on council estates in Glasgow and Edinburgh. They're likely to vote Yes by a significant margin.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    AndyJS said:

On such a high turnout it will be interesting to see which areas poll more than 100%
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Scottish Electorate:

Today - 4,285k

Change - Up 357k (9%)
    Most of that increase is apparently from poor voters on council estates in Glasgow and Edinburgh. They're likely to vote Yes by a significant margin.
    If they vote.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sean_F said:

RodCrosby said:

Sounds great to me. The orange, the purple, the red white and blue should be part of British patriotism.

Perhaps, but in this context, there are 15% of the voters in Scotland to which they are anathema. And the polls are neck and neck.

Not a smart move from the bowler-hatted bigots...
  • Options

TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

You surely must have seen an Orange walk? All the hangers on bedecked in their Rangers tops.
    And they have the day off from football.
    Ban them !
  • Options
    Too close to call IMO:

Angus
    Clackmannanshire
    Glasgow
    Highland
    Moray
    North Lanarkshire
    West Lothian
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thanks, Andy.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks, Andy.
    I increased the overall turnout from 80% to 83% based on various recent reports.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks, Andy.
    I increased the overall turnout from 80% to 83% based on various recent reports.
    I'm going to try and build a predictive model, to update a forecast as the results come in.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

Scottish Electorate:

Today - 4,285k

Change - Up 357k (9%)
    16-17 year-olds?
  • Options
    saddo said:

A flag thought

Why take the blue bits off the Union flag?

It's a nice flag so why change it plus it can represent all the Scottish refugees left in England.

They are different shades of blue in any case. Pantone 280 v. 300.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

You mean Scotland already has its own independent football league? Really?

I was under the impression that we is a UNITED Kingdom, and we is BETTER TOGETHER!

:)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sean_F said:

RodCrosby said:

Perhaps, but in this context, there are 15% of the voters in Scotland to which they are anathema. And the polls are neck and neck.

Not a smart move from the bowler-hatted bigots...
    They are however pro-British, and appealing to a Protestant British identity that has deep Scottish roots, not to dry economic arguments.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Taking the 1997 referendum as a baseline, and assuming UNS, ignoring electorate and turnout variability, these are the % targets for YES

Na h-Eileanan Siar 55.1
    North Lanarkshire 58.3
    Inverclyde 53.7
    Orkney 33.0
    East Lothian 49.9
    Perth and Kinross 37.4
    Moray 42.9
    Clackmannanshire 55.7
    West Dunbartonshire 60.4
    Dumfries and Galloway 36.4
    Angus 40.4
    South Lanarkshire 53.5
    East Renfrewshire 37.4
    Dundee City 51.7
    Falkirk 55.7
    Renfrewshire 54.7
    East Ayrshire 56.8
    Aberdeenshire 39.6
    Stirling 44.2
    Midlothian 55.6
    Argyll and Bute 43.0
    West Lothian 55.3
    South Ayrshire 42.6
    Shetland 38.1
    East Dunbartonshire 45.5
    Fife 51.8
    Highland 48.3
    North Ayrshire 52.0
    Scottish Borders 38.5
    City of Edinburgh 47.6
    Glasgow City 59.3
    Aberdeen City 47.5

I will try and refine this model by Thursday.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MONSTER money has just appeared on Betfair - £150,000 from 1.26-1.28 for No and 13 grand just appeared at 4.8 for Yes.

For info, that's the same money. On two-way markets, Betfair automatically represents the bet on both sides of the ledger.
  • Options
    IIRC Every Scottish region voted YES to devolution and tax-varying powers in 1997 except for Orkney and Shetland, which only voted YES to devolution.
  • Options

IIRC Every Scottish region voted YES to devolution and tax-varying powers in 1997 except for Orkney and Shetland, which only voted YES to devolution.

Almost right. It was Orkney; and Dumfries & Galloway.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    SeanT In 1995 in Quebec Yes were now ahead in every poll at this stage, and yet they still lost as undecideds went for No, in Scotland every poll now has a clear No lead, albeit not a large one
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Mad independence campaigner chases Labour MPs around Glasgow playing the Darth Vader March shouting 'bow down to your imperial masters' http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/11/scottish-independence-darth-vader-music_n_5804224.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
  • Options
    I think a pro British message from tomorrow's Proms, and I am attending Proms in the Park and will try and do my bit, will more than drown out any negativity from the Orange Order March, which will be overshadowed by Paisley's death anyway.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    HYUFD said:

SeanT In 1995 in Quebec Yes were now ahead in every poll at this stage, and yet they still lost as undecideds went for No, in Scotland every poll now has a clear No lead, albeit not a large one

Not an encouraging thought, that one. With all the potential risks and emotional pleas to stay, it is neck and neck, and it just seems more likely to me that enough people either optimistic about future prospects even in the face of difficulty, or so angry at whoever they perceive to be the worse establishment, will push Yes over the line.

Night all.
  • Options
    "EDIT: I wonder if someone has seen either the postal voting, or private polling."

Even if the postal votes for a particular region were improperly known, in a close national contest it's difficult to believe that such information would prove of much value from a betting perspective. As regards "private polling", I fail to see to what degree this would be more reliable than large sample polls carried out by the top professional pollsters.

My own view is that two factors are giving confidence to those betting that there will be a NO outcome - the underestimation in the polling figures of "shy NOs" and the fact that historically in such types of referenda, the late deciding "don't knows" tend to break heavily in favour of the status quo, i.e.against independence.
    Sticking my neck out, I have a feeling that the NOs will win by a margin of between 7% - 9%, with the result therefore being of the order of 54% - 46%.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    HYUFD said:

I think a pro British message from tomorrow's Proms, and I am attending Proms in the Park and will try and do my bit, will more than drown out any negativity from the Orange Order March, which will be overshadowed by Paisley's death anyway.

They would be better off playing this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-F5dmRV5Bc&list=RD2-F5dmRV5Bc#t=24
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Almost right. It was Orkney; and Dumfries & Galloway.
    Ah, damn my memory!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Lather, rinse, repeat.

ever go SOTB ?

Scottish banking sector is it?
  • Options
    kle4 No, Yes need to have a clear lead at this stage to have a chance, the final undecideds almost always stick with the status quo. Last weekend they had a chance had they built on that Yes lead, they did not, in my view a No vote is now probable, though it will probably be tight on the night
  • Options
    The Welsh devolution referendum in 1997 was won by the YES side by only 0.6% (50.3 v. 49.7).
  • Options
    Rod I believe part of Proms in the Park comes from Glasgow so helpfully some Celtic music form there too
  • Options
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Betfair is still utterly convinced it will be NO. I am finding it hard to square this with the polls.

OK up to a week ago, you could have said this was clueless English money: rich London bettors presuming a NO as the alternative seemed unthinkable.

But now everyone knows how tight the polling is, and no one risks these enormous sums without doing a bit of research.

YES has actually moved OUT, to 4.9/5, since the ICM poll.

Weird.

EDIT: I wonder if someone has seen either the postal voting, or private polling.

I can't be arsed to do the maths, but if you make the reasonable assumption that early postal voting has broken for NO, then YES has to be doing somewhat better than neck-and-neck at this stage to get over the finish line.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    As a fellow Scot who happens to know folk who work for all these companies, it will be interesting to see their reaction to this threat to their livelihoods!
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Daily Mail front page: Tirade of hate that shames Salmond http://t.co/DCySB59z05

Scott_P said:

Well, Jim has made the front page of at least 2 papers

He might have just lost the referendum for YES.
    Who is the most popular profession in Scotland? Clue: it's not the bankers.

What is the most widely read paper in Scotland: Not the Indy, and not quite the DM.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    SeanT said:

saddo said:

A flag thought

It's a nice flag so why change it plus it can represent all the Scottish refugees left in England.

They are different shades of blue in any case. Pantone 280 v. 300.
    99% certain we will keep the flag, even if Scotland flounces out.

Too good a brand, too expensive to replace.
    They can represent our comrades in the Borders region ;-)
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Thanks, Andy.
    I'm going to try and build a predictive model, to update a forecast as the results come in.

Looking forward to seeing it.
  • Options
    Michael Crick tweets:

"If Sir John Randall were to quit his seat, Boris Johnson would be just 4 weeks from becoming an MP, & so qualified to stand for Tory leader
    12:16am - 13 Sep 14"

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelLCrick
  • Options
    "Huge fire at University of Nottingham campus building site
    Around 60 firefighters called in to tackle the blaze, with no injuries reported at the Triumph Road property"

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/12/blaze-university-of-nottingham-building-site
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited September 2014
    Bollocks!! Spinning like a wheel and acting like a rebuttal service for the SNP/Yes campaign is not trying to inject some accuracy into this debate. Please don't insult our intelligence by trying to claim that you are somehow a 'neutral bystander' seeking to add some balance to the debate.

Most posters on this site have a damn sight more integrity than you, and they are happy to be open and honest about nailing their own political leaning to the mast when debating on here, what ever their political persuasions. And as a result, that can often enhance rather undermine their contributions to the site. Two of the best contributors to this site over the years were Libdems, the late SBS and Yellow Submarine. Both much missed, although I know Yellow Submarine has briefly surfaced recently. And lets not forget that OGH is a Libdem too. :)
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Daily Mail front page: Tirade of hate that shames Salmond http://t.co/DCySB59z05

And if Jim Sillars is a leading fgure in the SNP I'm a Golden Lion Tamarin at the Zoo and that story is my faeces.

Don't suppose you could give a critical assessment for once, could you? We've discussed Mr Sillars and the media often enough, so the basics are here on PB.

Moreover, we've been told often enough on PB that the banks would be broken up anyway. And they are publicly owned. So what's new?

You're forever telling us the Yes isn't just about the SNP and that you, have no personal affiliation to the SNP but support the broad based Yes campaign. So why are you so eager to distance yourself from Sillars who represents the views of many Yes supporters?
    Just trying to inject some accuracy into this debate.

And I did point out that his views are not entirely without some resonance, especially with the way things have gone and are going (and academic as to some of the banks).

• Options

"EDIT: I wonder if someone has seen either the postal voting, or private polling."

Even if the postal votes for a particular region were improperly known, in a close national contest it's difficult to believe that such information would prove of much value from a betting perspective. As regards "private polling", I fail to see to what degree this would be more reliable than large sample polls carried out by the top professional pollsters.

My own view is that two factors are giving confidence to those betting that there will be a NO outcome - the underestimation in the polling figures of "shy NOs" and the fact that historically in such types of referenda, the late deciding "don't knows" tend to break heavily in favour of the status quo, i.e.against independence.
    Sticking my neck out, I have a feeling that the NOs will win by a margin of between 7% - 9%, with the result therefore being of the order of 54% - 46%.

Also the polling isn't really _that_ close. The September polls average out at a 3% lead. That's certainly not a comfortable margin, but you'd be doing quite well to turn around a 3% lead in a two-sided race.
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/510460547067052032
  • Options
    I know one thing, doing some simulations.

Friday morning is going to be a helluva betting experience, and not for the faint-hearted.

The running total lead could change at least four times. YES could start building a sizeable lead, lose it and continue to fall further behind by an even bigger and increasing margin, only to sneak it with the last two results...

May do a guest article.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,175
    RodCrosby said:

Friday morning is going to be a helluva betting experience, and not for the faint-hearted.

The running total lead could change at least four times. YES could start building a sizeable lead, lose it and continue to fall further behind by an even bigger and increasing margin, only to sneak it with the last two results...

May do a guest article.

Rod, what software are you using for the modelling?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

May do a guest article.

Excel, as usual.
  • Options

Well spotted. Companies are falling over themselves trying to invest in iEckland.
    Eck's irrelevant. When the oil revs head to Edinburgh the capital flow will follow. I've seen some patronising pap on this thread but no answer in terms of the facts and stats that back up the narrative. I hollowed out Business for Scotland's case but they were far more formidable opponents than the Tories on here. It really is some pretty inadequate cry-for-comfort-from-nanny bleating. Who would have guessed it would all be so easy? And from a west-coast Irish catholic scumbag schemie Glasgwegian too! The Jedi mind-tricks just don't cut it these days.. Well, looks like it's down to the scumbag Scots to see if they have the nads to take on the financiers. Adieu my Norman serf friends - it was nearly a pleasure :p Sleep tight.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,175
    RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

May do a guest article.

Excel, as usual.
    Thank you

• Options

Eck's irrelevant. When the oil revs head to Edinburgh the capital flow will follow. I've seen some patronising pap on this thread but no answer in terms of the facts and stats that back up the narrative. I hollowed out Business for Scotland's case but they were far more formidable opponents than the Tories on here. It really is some pretty inadequate cry-for-comfort-from-nanny bleating. Who would have guessed it would all be so easy? And from a west-coast Irish catholic scumbag schemie Glasgwegian too! The Jedi mind-tricks just don't cut it these days.. Well, looks like it's down to the scumbag Scots to see if they have the nads to take on the financiers. Adieu my Norman serf friends - it was nearly a pleasure :p Sleep tight.
    I'm not really sure who you are talking about. But why is his religion relevant, anyhow?

Or is this referendum just an excuse to divide over anything and everything, irrelevant to the question at hand?
  • Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

ever go SOTB ?

Scottish banking sector is it?
    Ah, the piano wire porker strikes again.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Bollocks!! Spinning like a wheel and acting like a rebuttal service for the SNP/Yes campaign is not trying to inject some accuracy into this debate. Please don't insult our intelligence by trying to claim that you are somehow a 'neutral bystander' seeking to add some balance to the debate.

You seem a little antsy.
    How's your 35% for Yes prediction looking?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited September 2014

No. The bastards I am referring to are Eck and his merry band. If the union survives, they will get off scot free for the wilful damage they have done to it.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    saddo said:

A flag thought

Right. It's not even the Scottish blue any more, seeing as the Saltire changed its shade.

I think we also go for "The United Kingdom of Southern Britain and Northern Ireland" so we can still call ourselves British. Given that Ireland can call itself the Republic of Ireland without having the whole island, we might not need to change our name at all...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

saddo said:

A flag thought

Right. It's not even the Scottish blue any more, seeing as the Saltire changed its shade.

I think we also go for "The United Kingdom of Southern Britain and Northern Ireland" so we can still call ourselves British. Given that Ireland can call itself the Republic of Ireland without having the whole island, we might not need to change our name at all...
    Not sure if this was covered down thread but I saw a version of the "new union flag" with the blue replaced by black and a yellow band put outside the cross of St George whilst leaving the crosses of St George and Patrick as they are now. What this was doing was incorporating the cross of St David (yellow cross - but like St George's ) on a black background into the flag. Worked really well, kept same theme but represented the E/W/NI idea.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804
    Monkeys said:

TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

Maybe they meant "Diet Rangers," - Hearts.

Edit - there was an Orange Walk next to Hearts stadium, Tynecastle at the beginning of the month.

Impromptu poll seems to tell a different story:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/144357-how-will-you-vote-jkb-independence-referendum-poll-september-2014/
This discussion has been closed.