Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s local By-Election Results

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s local By-Election Results

Castle on Carlisle (Lab Defence)
Result: Labour 364 (38% -4% on 2011), Conservatives 212 (22%), UKIP 208 (22%), Liberal Democrats 112 (12% -22%), Greens 51 (5% -5%)
Labour HOLD with a majority of 152 (16%) on a swing of 13% from Labour to Conservative

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited September 2014
    Boring results ! No fun. Where was UKIP ?

I looked at the numbers again. UKIP did well.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Oxford and Newark are not known to be UKIP hotspots.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    FPT @Richard_Nabavi

We also have a lot of economists saying this:

Dear Sirs,

As economists and economic commentators we are writing to add our voices to the growing demands for a new relationship between Britain and the European Union and to express our support for an In/Out referendum.

For too long the debate over Britain’s EU membership has been characterised by half-truths and outright fabrications. The wholly misleading claim that millions of jobs would be lost if the UK were to leave the EU has been comprehensively disproven and refuted.

Research shows that British business wants and needs a substantial change in our relationship with the EU. The Prime Minister’s own Red Tape Task Force has warned that EU red tape is holding back job creation and business expansion. However, before thinking about leaving the EU, we must see if the British Government can first secure better terms of membership. But if the negotiations do not deliver, there is nothing to fear from leaving.

The UK’s future prosperity increasingly depends on its ability to trade with the whole world, not just its European neighbours. In 1980 the EU accounted for over 30 per cent of world GDP, today that figure is less than 19 per cent. The share of UK exports to the rest of the EU has fallen by 10 per cent in the last ten years alone. We need to move beyond a 20th Century economic mind set and be free to develop our links with the rising economies outside Europe.

Just as “little Englanders” are wrong to argue for protectionism, so too are “little Europeans” who only focus on Britain’s trade with its next-door neighbours. We need a global vision, a vision that looks beyond the limits of Europe and sees the opportunities that the wider world offers.

(Signed by 20 economists I don't have space to write here)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Oxford and Newark are not known to be UKIP hotspots.

Newham, you mean. London, innit !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited September 2014
    All holds? Boring! That said, Vale of the White Horse District Council is a pretty decent Council name to be attached to at least
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Speaking with their wallets telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11093574/Scotland-heading-for-a-Great-Depression-after-a-Yes-vote.html

With the battle over Scotland’s future reaching fever pitch on the final weekend of campaigning, it also emerged that investors’ concern over the end of the Union has seen the greatest exodus of cash from the UK since the height of the financial crisis.
    This is all a bluff.
  • Options
    From the same article
    In a foreword to Deutsche Bank report, David Folkerts-Landau, its chief economist, said everyone has a right to self-determination but some political decisions have negative consequences far beyond what voters imagine.

“We feel that we are the threshold of one such moment. A Yes vote for Scottish independence on Thursday would go down in history as a political and economic mistake as large as Winston Churchill's decision in 1925 to return the pound to the Gold Standard or the failure of the Federal Reserve to provide sufficient liquidity to the US banking system, which we now know brought on the Great Depression in the US,” he said.

“These decisions – well-intentioned as they were – contributed to years of depression and suffering and could have been avoided had alternative decisions been taken.”
  • Options
    Plato said:

Speaking with their wallets telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11093574/Scotland-heading-for-a-Great-Depression-after-a-Yes-vote.html

With the battle over Scotland’s future reaching fever pitch on the final weekend of campaigning, it also emerged that investors’ concern over the end of the Union has seen the greatest exodus of cash from the UK since the height of the financial crisis.
    This is all a bluff.

There won't be a depression. They'll get a recession, but once they figure out they need their own central bank, they'll start growing again - just less than they would inside the UK. The only way they'd get a depression is signing up to the Eurozone.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Socrates said:

Plato said:

This is all a bluff.
    There won't be a depression. They'll get a recession, but once they figure out they need their own central bank, they'll start growing again - just less than they would inside the UK. The only way they'd get a depression is signing up to the Eurozone.

I somehow think they'd have to and then impose convergence citeria.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ruth Dudley-Edwards doesn't shrink from speaking ill of the dead. He'll always be Dr No to me.
    His political career consisted mainly of destroying every unionist leader who wanted to make peace with Irish nationalists, his most distinguished scalp being David Trimble, a man of vision and courage, who was downed by Paisley’s tribal appeals to reject the power-sharing deal with Sinn Fein, "the spawn of Satan".

That he agreed a virtually identical deal himself was no surprise to Paisley-connoisseurs. He was well suited to holding office with Sinn Fein, whose mastery of hypocritical rhetoric rivalled his. What became known as the Paisley-McGuinness "Chuckle Brothers" routine was hailed by the credulous as a sign that old enemies were now united. What they had done, of course, was to take power and divide the spoils.

"Very sad to learn that Ian Paisley has died," Martin McGuinness says. "My deepest sympathy to his wife Eileen & family. Once political opponents – I have lost a friend."

I wonder how the victims of both these men feel today.
    blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ruthdudleyedwards/100286257/ian-paisley-is-dead-the-old-hypocrite/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

Boring results ! No fun. Where was UKIP ?

I looked at the numbers again. UKIP did well.

Not as well as Labour, looking at the results.
  • Options
    Hmm... A full house of HOLDs. Interesting.

Perhaps some people right now fear it's not the time for change?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @Socrates

On the previous post you said:
    The Better Off Out campaign and UKIP desperately need to communicate to business what an out would look like. There is a lot of concern right now that leaving the EU would mean an end to trade and we need to make sure that isn't the case. We need to make clear the campaign is "trade, not union" and that we would sign a free trade deal and keep high skilled immigration available. It should also be made clear which regulations we would scrap and which free trade deals elsewhere we would prioritise, with NAFTA, Brazil and India being priorities. It will be a serious mistake if we don't do this.
    I think that's absolutely right.

While I think that the UK's trading position would not change dramatically, I am similarly unconvinced that much of the EU's "burden" on British business would evaporate, either.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    On topic - 7/7 status quo's ...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Has the dear leader aka Wee Jung Eck told Deutsche Bank that they will rue the day yet?

How did they put it?

oh yes " a historic mistake like great depression"
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Plato said:

From the same article

In a foreword to Deutsche Bank report, David Folkerts-Landau, its chief economist, said everyone has a right to self-determination but some political decisions have negative consequences far beyond what voters imagine.

“We feel that we are the threshold of one such moment. A Yes vote for Scottish independence on Thursday would go down in history as a political and economic mistake as large as Winston Churchill's decision in 1925 to return the pound to the Gold Standard or the failure of the Federal Reserve to provide sufficient liquidity to the US banking system, which we now know brought on the Great Depression in the US,” he said.

“These decisions – well-intentioned as they were – contributed to years of depression and suffering and could have been avoided had alternative decisions been taken.”
    If only David Folkerts-Landau had held a senior position in one of the world's largest banks in the run-up to the Lehmann Brothers catastrophe of 2008. A man of his perspicacity and courage would surely have foreseen and forewarned us of the peril we were in.
  • Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/11/referendum-registered-voters-scotland-four-million-97-per-cent

I think all these polls are frankly irrelevant. If the groundwork by YES, supported by government machinery, has done their job properly, a YES majority is almost guaranteed.

I cannot remember any British Local Authority has ever had close to 97% of the population registered. I would think 75% would be lucky. I am not talking about turnout - only registration.
  • Options
    FPT:

Congratulations to MD on his news.
  • Options
    In other news ....

Wee Jung Eck surrounds himself with sycophants at press conferences.

The SNP try to silence business from pointing out the truth by threats and bluster..... wouldn't want to frighten the horses would we.

and...................

They organise marches to the polling stations ... reminds me of the 1930's

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    Floater said:

In other news ....

The SNP try to silence business from pointing out the truth by threats and bluster..... wouldn't want to frighten the horses would we.

and...................

I don't recall Mosley's party going in for bairns with balloons and facepaint, do you?
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Well, Jim has made the front page of at least 2 papers
  • Options
    @politicshome: Tomorrow's Daily Mail front page: Tirade of hate that shames Salmond http://t.co/DCySB59z05
  • Options
    @politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent front page: Fear and loathing in the battle for Scotland http://t.co/bp106HFTo6
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    surbiton said:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/11/referendum-registered-voters-scotland-four-million-97-per-cent

I think all these polls are frankly irrelevant. If the groundwork by YES, supported by government machinery, has done their job properly, a YES majority is almost guaranteed.

I cannot remember any British Local Authority has ever had close to 97% of the population registered. I would think 75% would be lucky. I am not talking about turnout - only registration.

You may well have a point. Surely there's a bias towards Yes in all those new registrations? We shall see.

It's going to be an interesting week. Could lose 30% of UK's land area, a PM, have a bank run in Scotland, a three centuries old financial industry in Edinburgh could go west before next weekend ( effectively), have a traumatised Labour Party in despair, an insufferable Farage, and Berwick Rangers applying to the FA. Failing that we've just got to work out what Devo Max means ( and for England/Wales/NI ), how many MP's Scotland would retain (25?), and if Ms Sturgeon is going to be a good SNP leader.

Not dull at least.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

With apologies to Harry and the benefit of some local knowledge, a shade more analysis on the Beckton by-election result. The contest was triggered by the sudden death of Alec Kellaway about a month after the May local election. A Labour Councillor friend told me the death was entirely unexpected and a real shock as he had worked hard in the May elections.

Oddly enough, Kellaway came third of the Labour Councillors elected in Beckton where the party polled 64% in May. The Conservatives polled 28% and the Christian People's Alliance got 8%. No other parties contested the seat.

The Conservative candidate for the by-election fought the seat in May and polled some 300 votes more than his colleagues on the Tory ticket and he has some local following.

Yesterday, Labour polled 51% (-13%), Conservatives 30% (+2%), UKIP 11% (+11%) with the Others getting 8% between them - Greens were fourth, Lib Dems fifth, CPA sixth and a TUSC candidate last so oddly enough the same order as in the Mayoral election across the whole Borough in May.

The turnout was a derisory 19% so the 7.5% swing from Conservatives to Labour may not mean as much as it appears. UKIP polled 6% in the Borough-wide Mayoral election in May but on these numbers Stephen Timms has little reason to lose any sleep.

Beckton isn't typical of much of Newham. The extension of the DLR brought a rash of new building in the 1980s and 1990s and many of these new flats were bought up initially by City commuters though many of them are now rental properties. It's a nice commute from Beckton to either Docklands or the City so it has attracted a professional and higher-earning group especially to the new estates around and near the DLR stop.

I understand the Conservatives put quite a bit of effort into this by-election and UKIP were out canvassing as well but the Labour machine in Newham is impressive to view. While other parties struggle to get three or four activists out for an evening's canvassing, Labour mobilise thirty or forty workers and can swamp an area. Breaking Labour's stranglehold on Newham won't happen any time soon.
  • Options
    In a further development, it emerged that thousands of public sector jobs could go in an independent Scotland because of a rule making it illegal for UK taxpayer information to be held in a foreign country.

HM Revenue and Customs Cumbernauld site, which employs several thousand people would no longer be able to continue functioning in its present form because of the rule. Nearly 8,500 Scottish jobs would be at risk.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/referendum/article4205339.ece
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Independent front page: Fear and loathing in the battle for Scotland http://t.co/bp106HFTo6

If Jim Sillars is a Nationalist leader I'm a Panda at the Edinburgh Zoo. Utterly discredits the piece within the first three words.

• Options
    Speaking on behalf of the Better Together campaign, Labour MP Ian Davidson said: "The 'Yes' campaign's mask slipped today as Jim Sillars revealed their message for the final week of this campaign - vote 'Yes' or else.

"His words are a clear threat to anyone who points out the true costs of separation to the people of Scotland.

"The 'Yes' campaign has been a campaign of fear and intimidation from the start. Many people have been silenced. Now those who put their head above the parapet get pot shots from desperate nationalists."

Mr Davidson added: "We have seen the 'Yes' campaign's thugs on the street - now we see their thugs with microphones and press releases.

"Sillars stood shoulder to shoulder with Alex Salmond this week claiming to be positive. Now we see the real face of nationalism in all its ugliness."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29181989
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Daily Mail front page: Tirade of hate that shames Salmond http://t.co/DCySB59z05

Scott_P said:

He might have just lost the referendum for YES.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

And if Jim Sillars is a leading fgure in the SNP I'm a Golden Lion Tamarin at the Zoo and that story is my faeces.

Don't suppose you could give a critical assessment for once, could you? We've discussed Mr Sillars and the media often enough, so the basics are here on PB.

Moreover, we've been told often enough on PB that the banks would be broken up anyway. And they are publicly owned. So what's new?

• Options

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Who is the most popular profession in Scotland? Clue: it's not the bankers.

What is the most widely read paper in Scotland: Not the Indy, and not quite the DM.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

FPT:

If anyone is wondering what Mr. Jessop is talking about it is the spiffing news from Morris Dancer, Gentleman (mostly) of this parish that he posted:

"Got one of those book deal thingummyjigs for Sir Edric's Temple and the follow-up, Sir Edric's Treasure (with Tickety Boo Press). No ETA, but I think next year's possible and 2016 maybe (hoping it's 2015 though)"

If you haven't read Sir Edric's Temple you are missing out on a treat. Sir Edric's Temple is available through Amazon (at a stupidly low price) and I am really looking forward to the follow-up. I have no idea what a "book deal thingummyjigs" actually entails but I hope it means Mr. Dancer making lots of money. He deserves it for the quality of his work.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Speaking on behalf of the Better Together campaign, Labour MP Ian Davidson said: "The 'Yes' campaign's mask slipped today as Jim Sillars revealed their message for the final week of this campaign - vote 'Yes' or else.

"His words are a clear threat to anyone who points out the true costs of separation to the people of Scotland.

"The 'Yes' campaign has been a campaign of fear and intimidation from the start. Many people have been silenced. Now those who put their head above the parapet get pot shots from desperate nationalists."

Mr Davidson added: "We have seen the 'Yes' campaign's thugs on the street - now we see their thugs with microphones and press releases.

"Sillars stood shoulder to shoulder with Alex Salmond this week claiming to be positive. Now we see the real face of nationalism in all its ugliness."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29181989

Oh yes, that Mr Davidson who speaks of bayoneting his opponents.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

And if Jim Sillars is a leading fgure in the SNP I'm a Golden Lion Tamarin at the Zoo and that story is my faeces.

Don't suppose you could give a critical assessment for once, could you? We've discussed Mr Sillars and the media often enough, so the basics are here on PB.

Moreover, we've been told often enough on PB that the banks would be broken up anyway. And they are publicly owned. So what's new?

No one will care about his official 'position'. They will see the picture of him next to Salmond and draw the inference. The same Salmond who said 'rue the day' about the Economist taking the p*ss out of independence. This is on top of the relentless aggression and intimidation by independence supporters - now a daily occurrence.

This plays into and confirms all of people's worst fears about nationalists and the YES campaign. It's a totem. Which is precisely why it is so toxic for them. It will further turn off women and floating voters.

Right, I have a Friday evening to enjoy with my wife. Goodnight all.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

If Jim Sillars is a Nationalist leader I'm a Panda at the Edinburgh Zoo. Utterly discredits the piece within the first three words.

You are right of course, but it's the impression all this is giving when combined with the other pronouncements of Yes. Believe me it looks bloody awful from 400 miles away. Scotland is getting hurt whatever the result and it pains me, I've got friends and relatives there ( I'm pretty certain I could claim a passport myself if there's a Yes due to my family background).
  • Options
    Who is the guy in this picture, standing shoulder to shoulder with Eck while he gives a Hitler salute to his troops?

Could he be a leading figure in the Yes campaign perhaps? He has even managed to upstage Wee Patrick

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/scottish-independence-salmond-sillars-team-up-2612937.html
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

Who is the most popular profession in Scotland? Clue: it's not the bankers.

What is the most widely read paper in Scotland: Not the Indy, and not quite the DM.

Yawn. You're in denial. Desperate search for figleafs to cling to.

Now, I must go. I have much better things to do than argue with dyed in the wool nats. By all means keep up the 'good work'.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: In Nats "day of reckoning" (Jim Sillars) after they've done banks, supermarkets, oil firms will they have a day of reckoning with No voters?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Well, you don't expect reasoned argument, with a balanced opinion from the Wail. Does anyone?
  • Options
    Floater said:

In other news ....

and...................

That's the Orange Order you're thinking about.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited September 2014
    surbiton said:

Sorry but your 75% figure is way off.

2011 England & Wales electorate (ie registered voters) = 40.6 million

2011 England & Wales population = 56.1 million

Don't have figure for children but must be somewhat over 20% of population meaning at an absolute minimum 90% of adults are registered to vote. In reality it will be about 93%.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited September 2014
    Double post.
  • Options
    Could some-one from the No campaign explain this?
    The government claims that no contingency campaigns in case of a Yes vote have been made, but a government-owned company has very publicly announced its contingency plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29185319
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Scott_P said:

In a further development, it emerged that thousands of public sector jobs could go in an independent Scotland because of a rule making it illegal for UK taxpayer information to be held in a foreign country.

HM Revenue and Customs Cumbernauld site, which employs several thousand people would no longer be able to continue functioning in its present form because of the rule. Nearly 8,500 Scottish jobs would be at risk.

Cumbernauld is HMRC's payment centre together with Shipley in Yorkshire. Surprising numbers still pay by cheque. Obviously these payments couldn't be sent to a foreign country either.
  • Options

FPT:

If anyone is wondering what Mr. Jessop is talking about it is the spiffing news from Morris Dancer, Gentleman (mostly) of this parish that he posted:

"Got one of those book deal thingummyjigs for Sir Edric's Temple and the follow-up, Sir Edric's Treasure (with Tickety Boo Press). No ETA, but I think next year's possible and 2016 maybe (hoping it's 2015 though)"

If you haven't read Sir Edric's Temple you are missing out on a treat. Sir Edric's Temple is available through Amazon (at a stupidly low price) and I am really looking forward to the follow-up. I have no idea what a "book deal thingummyjigs" actually entails but I hope it means Mr. Dancer making lots of money. He deserves it for the quality of his work.
    +1
  • Options
    Bit of news - Labour lose control of Inverclyde council thanks to defection over indyref.

http://www.inverclydenow.com/photostream/12852-labour-lose-control-of-council-as-councillor-goes-independent
    welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

You are right of course, but it's the impression all this is giving when combined with the other pronouncements of Yes. Believe me it looks bloody awful from 400 miles away. Scotland is getting hurt whatever the result and it pains me, I've got friends and relatives there ( I'm pretty certain I could claim a passport myself if there's a Yes due to my family background).
    Quite. I suppose that if it weren't Mr Sillars it would be someone else - or just queues in South African polling stations or Norwegian fish. However, people are noticing here too. So I'm just wondering if this approach is as productive vote-wise as it might have seemed.

On passports, the White Paper has proposals - subject of course to confirmation.

• Options
    Norm said:

Cumbernauld is HMRC's payment centre together with Shipley in Yorkshire. Surprising numbers still pay by cheque. Obviously these payments couldn't be sent to a foreign country either.

Yeah, it was discussed here the other day. The prospect of the jobs moving south was dismissed by the Nats. Obviously.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited September 2014
    RodCrosby said:
    "Marches on streets require to be notified to local authorities and the police at least 28 days in advance. If no notification is provided, police officers can take enforcement action.
    A spokeswoman for Chief Counting Officer Mary Pitcaithly said: 'The Chief Counting Officer is responsible for the delivery of the referendum, not for its policing. Any issues which might raise concerns about issues of public order at polling places would be addressed by Police Scotland.'
    "Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins said: 'The referendum is a significant event which is expected to attract a higher than normal turnout.
    'Policing arrangements for the referendum are well in hand and will be appropriate and proportionate.
    'Police Scotland's priority is to ensure public safety and security. We will respond appropriately to any issues which arise. We will not offer comment on the numbers of officers or their specific operational deployment.' "

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    I think the SNP could have made THE key mistake of this campaign with their "Day of Reckoning" rhetoric.

Win or lose, after the referendum they should be looking to mend fences and heal what will be a community that's deeply divided.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nah it's all bairns with balloons and facepaint,

One people under Wee Jung Eck
  • Options

Could some-one from the No campaign explain this?
    The government claims that no contingency campaigns in case of a Yes vote have been made, but a government-owned company has very publicly announced its contingency plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29185319

I'd be interested. I think I read that the BoE [sic] had done so as well. Though I suppose that neither are strictlu speaking civil servants. Certainly RBS pay scales for top grades are not quite conformable with Estacode (or whatever it is now).

BTW Peter de Vink is a pro-indy Conservative or rather conservative (I think he got the heave-ho or resigned from the Tories) - he's now a councillor on Midlothian Council.

• Options
    Norm said:

Scott_P said:

Swings and roundabouts. People in Scotland have their Social Security processed in Newcastle, and their driving licences processed in Swansea, so obviously there will be jobs moving the other way, too.
  • Options
    Jim scores another

@SkyNews: FT FRONT PAGE "Businesses face 'day of reckoning'" #skypapers http://t.co/pP2pNOsEF8
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

Nah it's all bairns with balloons and facepaint,

One people under Wee Jung Eck
    No, that's Mr Miliband's spiel.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think the SNP could have made THE key mistake of this campaign with their "Day of Reckoning" rhetoric.

Win or lose, after the referendum they should be looking to mend fences and heal what will be a community that's deeply divided.

I am struggling a bit with this one.

I want a No vote because I want Scotland to remain a prosperous part of a Great Nation, and I despair for the economic tragedy that the SNP are willing upon my friends and family, but...

...much of the damage is done.

If there is a No, the bastards will get away with it.

If there is a Yes, they will face a day of reckoning. Cold comfort for millions. but the least they deserve
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Bit of news - Labour lose control of Inverclyde council thanks to defection over indyref.

http://www.inverclydenow.com/photostream/12852-labour-lose-control-of-council-as-councillor-goes-independent

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Quite. I suppose that if it weren't Mr Sillars it would be someone else - or just queues in South African polling stations or Norwegian fish. However, people are noticing here too. So I'm just wondering if this approach is as productive vote-wise as it might have seemed.

On passports, the White Paper has proposals - subject of course to confirmation.

What is the passports proposal by the way? My grandad was born in Scotland do I qualify? ( Not that I'm taking it up - just idle curiosity)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No, they key mistake of this campaign has been their ineptitude over currency. If they had just said from the beginning they'd aim for a currency union, but if that's not possible they'd use a Scottish pound, then it would have been fine.
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: EXCL: Yes vote could see Scots' energy bills rise by £329 a year: http://t.co/9IlDjpsuc6
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    edited September 2014
    Scott_P said:

Jim scores another

@SkyNews: FT FRONT PAGE "Businesses face 'day of reckoning'" #skypapers http://t.co/pP2pNOsEF8

The Sillars stuff has exploded across the national media in all its ugliness. Surely Salmond's only option is to expel Sillars and grovel to the Scottish business community, explaining it was all a misunderstanding. If he doesn't the financial flight will become a stampede, leaving Scotland a forsaken wasteland.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MONSTER money has just appeared on Betfair - £150,000 from 1.26-1.28 for No and 13 grand just appeared at 4.8 for Yes.
  • Options
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-09-11/edinburgh-awaits-protestant-marchers-drumming-up-votes-for-union
    'Fearing a backlash amongst Catholic voters, who account for about 15 percent of the population in Scotland, the main anti-independence group, Better Together, asked the Orange Order to cancel the march, Wilson said. He says he doesn’t believe the march will prompt Catholics to vote for independence.

“That seems to me to be insulting and shallow,” he said. “In Scotland, we live cheek by jowl. This is not Northern Ireland.”

Wilson said only order members will be allowed to join the parade, and that will ensure they can control it. The parade starts at 11 a.m., and a rally will be addressed by the grand masters of the Irish, Scottish and English Orders.

“There have been suggestions of violence, the temperature is definitely rising and we’ve heard there may well be counter demonstrations,” he said. “I’m fine with that, as long as they are peaceful. We will be telling our people not to be provoked.”'
  • Options

Norm said:

Scott_P said:

Swings and roundabouts. People in Scotland have their Social Security processed in Newcastle, and their driving licences processed in Swansea, so obviously there will be jobs moving the other way, too.

NOA, shit not you too ?

Do the numbers, 58 million people live in rUK and 5 million in Scotland which way do you think the flow of work will go ?

57,000 jobs in Scotland are UK govt jobs, you'll lose about 90% of them. There's no reason to keep them in Scotland and in some cases there are impediments to doing so.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: EXCL: Yes vote could see Scots' energy bills rise by £329 a year: http://t.co/9IlDjpsuc6

So the 'leccy bills of an electricity exporting nation would rise?
  • Options
    Unlucky Jim. Not this time

@journodave: Well, tomorrow's @Daily_Record is certainly not pulling any punches in #indyref http://t.co/sIxMLyFBsW
  • Options
    Boris is the candidate for Uxbridge
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

What is the passports proposal by the way? My grandad was born in Scotland do I qualify? ( Not that I'm taking it up - just idle curiosity)
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/11/9348/11

Rediscovering your inner Gododdin would seem an option then?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2014
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

You're forever telling us the Yes isn't just about the SNP and that you have no personal affiliation to the SNP but support the broad based Yes campaign. So why are you so eager to distance yourself from Sillars who represents the views of many Yes supporters?
  • Options
    Static Indy poll = it's a disaster for Yes, unseemly triumphalism, complacency
    Threat of good poll for Yes =panty wetting, quivering lips, snotters
    Good poll for Yes = rage, squirrel finding, plucking at straws based on almost complete ignorance of Scottish politics

Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Unlucky Jim. Not this time

@journodave: Well, tomorrow's @Daily_Record is certainly not pulling any punches in #indyref http://t.co/sIxMLyFBsW

Would the view of a German bank really matter to anyone?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

You're forever telling us the Yes isn't just about the SNP and that you, have no personal affiliation to the SNP but support the broad based Yes campaign. So why are you so eager to distance yourself from Sillars who represents the views of many Yes supporters?
    Just trying to inject some accuracy into this debate.

And I did point out that his views are not entirely without some resonance, especially with the way things have gone and are going (and academic as to some of the banks).

• Options

FPT:

Well done MD
  • Options

Good poll for Yes = rage, squirrel finding, plucking at straws based on almost complete ignorance of Scottish politics

Lather, rinse, repeat.

makes you wonder why the vote wasn't 18 months ago to avoid this tedious crap.
  • Options
    Floater said:

FPT:

Well done MD
    Hear hear. Any book is an achievement - and a hell of a lot of work bound up in it.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Would the view of a German bank really matter to anyone?

No. And Yes.

It won't change any votes, but during the depression when the cries of "why did nobody tell us" are ringing out these words will be quoted often.
  • Options
    "ROYAL Mile publicans have been warned to expect clashes between football fans during an Orange Order march through the city centre tomorrow.

The Evening News understands pub owners have been told by police that groups of Hibs and Rangers fans are planning to cause trouble at the controversial event, being held just days before the referendum.

With supporters set to arrive from as far afield as London, it is also understood a counter-demonstration will be held at Holyrood.

However, police and city licensing chiefs today said they were unaware of any official protest scheduled to coincide with tomorrow’s procession, which will see around 12,000 Orange Lodge members march from the Meadows to Regent Road.

Organisers said the event would be the largest held in Scotland since July 1951..."
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/violence-warning-ahead-of-orange-order-march-1-3539494
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MONSTER money has just appeared on Betfair - £150,000 from 1.26-1.28 for No and 13 grand just appeared at 4.8 for Yes.

Wow, battle is joined.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: In Nats "day of reckoning" (Jim Sillars) after they've done banks, supermarkets, oil firms will they have a day of reckoning with No voters?

what is it they shout at no supporters?

Oh yes "traitors" and "your not real Scots"

Amongst others.....
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Well, there was no unseemly triumphalism from the Yes camp when a poll finally put them in front, not just closing the gap, that's for sure. No, only the No side have ever engaged in overreacting based on scant evidence, drawing trends and momentum from tiny samples of polling and extrapolating them on to an entire campaign.

Before anyone gets annoyed at the above, apart from the bit about almost complete ignorance of Scottish politics (true for some, no doubt, though I very much doubt every Yes supporter is as clued in as the most engaged either), TUD is not incorrect, not entirely at any rate. I would contest there was more despondency than rage for good Yes polls, though still some rage.
  • Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Are you old enough to vote ? You write like a child.

• Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You've repeated the tedious crap line so often I assume you must have been in Scotland in the last 18 months. You should have dropped me a line, I'd have bought you a fine Scottish pint with GB pounds.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

what is it they shout at no supporters?

Oh yes "traitors" and "your not real Scots"

Amongst others.....
    that's called nation building

Birth of a Nation and all that
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Naval chiefs: Scottish independence will do 'immense damage' to Forces http://t.co/0qqqAom2M1
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Quite. There's been a bit more detail here and there from time to time, but 18 months was hardly necessary, and it's a testimony to the drive of the main participants they can still find the emotion to make the same points over and over again for that long. Which parts are crap depend on which side one supports of course, but even hearing the arguments one supports for so long and such repetition wears. Fair play to the Scottish people for keeping up their spirits.
  • Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Are you old enough to vote ? You write like a child.

I sense the wee, quivery lip of a child.
  • Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You've repeated the tedious crap line so often I assume you must have been in Scotland in the last 18 months. You should have dropped me a line, I'd have bought you a fine Scottish pint with GB pounds.
    I was on hols in the borders and Edinburgh last year, but I thought you're West coast no ?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Thank you. Indeed it does, though I'm descended from that lot on my mother's side ( great grand father, who came from Dalbeattie/Kirkcudbright) but my paternal grandfather was born in Stromness in Orkney, so it's less my inner Gododdin than my Eric Blood Axe the Viking ( or whatever name my Norwegian forebear had). I went to Orkney a few years ago and found a graveyard full of my relatives. There was a blue plaque on the local church saying it had been the site of a Viking drinking hall, which I thought was a great place for the relatives to be buried!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Thank you. Indeed it does, though I'm descended from that lot on my mother's side ( great grand father, who came from Dalbeattie/Kirkcudbright) but my paternal grandfather was born in Stromness in Orkney, so it's less my inner Gododdin than my Eric Blood Axe the Viking ( or whatever name my Norwegian forebear had). I went to Orkney a few years ago and found a graveyard full of my relatives. There was a blue plaque on the local church saying it had been the site of a Viking drinking hall, which I thought was a great place for the relatives to be buried!
    Oh, that's a nice mix. Was the graveyard the one on the sea coast a couple of miles southwest of Stromness, on the way to the Bishop's Palace at Breckness? It's got quite a few Hudson's Bay Cpmpany folk too.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, that's a nice mix. Was the graveyard the one on the sea coast a couple of miles southwest of Stromness, on the way to the Bishop's Palace at Breckness? It's got quite a few Hudson's Bay Cpmpany folk too.

No in Orphir.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    edited September 2014

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I was on hols in the borders and Edinburgh last year, but I thought you're West coast no ?
    Glasgow, but we do occasionally venture out of the ghetto (or welcome metropolitan sophisticates).
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

No in Orphir.
    Isn't tha the one near the old seaplane base at Houton, with the view over Scapa?
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    GIN1138 said:

Aye. Funnily, I was waiting for the real blunder line every major Political occasion has.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    RodCrosby said:

"ROYAL Mile publicans have been warned to expect clashes between football fans during an Orange Order march through the city centre tomorrow.

The Evening News understands pub owners have been told by police that groups of Hibs and Rangers fans are planning to cause trouble at the controversial event, being held just days before the referendum.

With supporters set to arrive from as far afield as London, it is also understood a counter-demonstration will be held at Holyrood.

However, police and city licensing chiefs today said they were unaware of any official protest scheduled to coincide with tomorrow’s procession, which will see around 12,000 Orange Lodge members march from the Meadows to Regent Road.

Organisers said the event would be the largest held in Scotland since July 1951..."
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/violence-warning-ahead-of-orange-order-march-1-3539494

Garbage. Rangers played tonight in Fife. Won't be anywhere near this tomorrow.

• Options
    welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

welshowl said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

small world, my maternal grandfather was also born in Kirkcudbright.
  • Options

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Glasgow, but we do occasionally venture out of the ghetto (or welcome metropolitan sophisticates).
    ever go SOTB ?
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited September 2014
    TGOHF said:

RodCrosby said:

Garbage. Rangers played tonight in Fife. Won't be anywhere near this tomorrow.

Maybe they meant "Diet Rangers," - Hearts.

Edit - there was an Orange Walk next to Hearts stadium, Tynecastle at the beginning of the month.

• Options
    'Will two days of Protestant supremacist imagery on the news bulletins add to that effect? Labour MPs have been sufficiently worried to plead privately with the Orange Order to stand down its march. They can now look forward to a day or so of TV news bulletins showing the union jack in the possession of Ian Paisley, the Orange Order and for good measure, up on a visit tonight, Nigel Farage. Not the grid Better Together would want.' - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/paisleys-death-revives-memories-sectarian-scotland/29141#sthash.VkXxba9k.dpuf
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    A flag thought

Why take the blue bits off the Union flag?

It's a nice flag so why change it plus it can represent all the Scottish refugees left in England.
This discussion has been closed.