Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Memo to Mr. Salmond: Don’t now throw it all away like Kinno

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Just a quickie in passing.

Douglas Carswell has written a blog this morning for the DT in which he laments how 8,000 have to share one GP and it's not right.

Apparently, however, this hapless overworked GP is...Romanian!

Is this actually true? Anyone know?

So,he's Romanian,so what ?

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

A modest blog by me where I admit I was right about everything to do with the referendum.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100285753/stupid-david-cameron-and-poisonous-labour-have-let-the-union-wither-and-maybe-die-i-told-you-so/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks to Moniker for the "wanton destruction" phrase.

I'm sure your fans will take every word to heart:

Such as a leaner, meaner Tory party under a Eurosceptic like Philip Hammond, united in a Coalition with Nigel Farage’s Ukip, sweeping into power, taking us out of Europe, and forcing through a ferocious divorce with the helpless, grass-eating Scots where they get a broken souvenir from Benidorm, and not much else.
    I do have some fans on there, now. Comment below the line:

"twowolves • 6 minutes ago
    Sean, you are the best and most gifted writer on the Telegraph payroll, I immensely enjoy your every publication. They should make you editor.

Write more, please."

That's not my mum, honest. Hah. Also he's slightly over-egging the pudding. Bojo on form is still the best columnist, by a distance.
    I fear that a large number of those 'fans', are not the kind of individuals that one would like to find unexpectedly waiting for you at home, on a dark and lonely night.
    Christ, you'll set him off again..
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

A modest blog by me where I admit I was right about everything to do with the referendum.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100285753/stupid-david-cameron-and-poisonous-labour-have-let-the-union-wither-and-maybe-die-i-told-you-so/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Such as a leaner, meaner Tory party under a Eurosceptic like Philip Hammond, united in a Coalition with Nigel Farage’s Ukip, sweeping into power, taking us out of Europe, and forcing through a ferocious divorce with the helpless, grass-eating Scots where they get a broken souvenir from Benidorm, and not much else.

Sean, you are the best and most gifted writer on the Telegraph payroll, I immensely enjoy your every publication. They should make you editor.

Write more, please."

That's not my mum, honest. Hah. Also he's slightly over-egging the pudding. Bojo on form is still the best columnist, by a distance.
    I fear that a large number of those 'fans', are not the kind of individuals that one would like to find unexpectedly waiting for you at home, on a dark and lonely night.
    Christ, you'll set him off again..
    A glimpse of a tin of shortbread will likely set him off.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,997
    Neil said:

Meanwhile constitutional issues in another far-flung corner of the union:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stormont-no-longer-fit-for-purpose-says-robinson-1.1922667

108 useless tossers agreeing nothing except they are the victim.

knee cap the bastards.
  • Options

Neil said:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/stormont-no-longer-fit-for-purpose-says-robinson-1.1922667

knee cap the bastards.
    Hand it all over to the South.
  • Options

Neil said:

knee cap the bastards.
    why do you want to sink the South ?

the Irish aren't as stupid as you think.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Checking in briefly from a Greek Island with glacial broadband... Skimming through the comments on the impact of a Yes vote on HMRC it seems the headless chicken tendency remains out in force, ..

Regarding the last minute Devolution proposal... If the Scots really want DevoMax then vote Yes and negotiate from that position of strength.... Can foresee the circumstances in which a Yes vote leads to a Federal structure with a very thin Federal layer, outside of the EU with Ireland seeking to join in the next five years...
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2014

Douglas Carswell has written a blog this morning for the DT in which he laments how 8,000 have to share one GP and it's not right.

Well, does it need to be spelt out? If UKIP got their way, he would find it a lot harder to work in this country.

Minus immigrants, Clacton's GP queue would fall to 7,900, and the number of GPs would fall to 0. Vote UKIP!

It's from the comments under the blog. Ole Dougie was apparently on Channel 4 and mentioned a Romanian GP in his constitchency. One presumes that this mention was to enthusiastically endorse some Romanians.

The trouble with this argument / protestation, if that's what he said, is that the NHS relies on EU and non-EU nationals for its manpower. This is not just in skilled roles, but also in those others for which no skill is required, a la Starbucks. At some point, UKIP is going to have to explain who will do these jobs when the drawbridge comes up, given that Britons could do them now but won't and UKIP's points wheeze will exclude low skill immigrants who will do them.

I shudder at the prospect of a British cleaner...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,257

In my experience (with a PCT and before) single-handed GP’s either want it that way or have a series of assistants, en route to somewhere better.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

knee cap the bastards.
    I think you'll find that the answer would probably be "thanks, but no thanks".
  • Options
    Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 2m

David Cameron and Ed Miliband have agreed to cancel their weekly Question Time clash in the Commons to travel to Scotland tomorrow.

It's over...
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

with Ireland seeking to join in the next five years...

Yeah, that definitely wont happen. The big chance for that was 100 years ago but the Lords fluffed it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Carswell said as much in his Ch4 interview with Cathy Newman

So what? No one at UKIP is saying skilled immigrants that we need aren't welcome wherever they are from.
  • Options

David Cameron and Ed Miliband have agreed to cancel their weekly Question Time clash in the Commons to travel to Scotland tomorrow.

It's over...

Hilarious.

• Options
    edited September 2014

It's over...

Loathed Westminster politicians pitching up to tell them how to vote, is only going to push it one way.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Write more, please."

Disappointed you didn't work a reference to Cassandra into that column!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    isam said:

So what? No one at UKIP is saying skilled immigrants that we need aren't welcome wherever they are from.
    Right. The UKIP policy is to address the "quantity and quality" of migration. We'd still have the best and brightest coming in. Thickos in the mainstream parties don't seem to get this. That's why they point to a slightly larger minority of immigrants than Brits having degrees, and then thinking that's evidence why bringing over more unskilled Somalis and Filipino cleaners is a good thing.
  • Options

Well, does it need to be spelt out? If UKIP got their way, he would find it a lot harder to work in this country.

Minus immigrants, Clacton's GP queue would fall to 7,900, and the number of GPs would fall to 0. Vote UKIP!

It's from the comments under the blog. Ole Dougie was apparently on Channel 4 and mentioned a Romanian GP in his constitchency. One presumes that this mention was to enthusiastically endorse some Romanians.

The trouble with this argument / protestation, if that's what he said, is that the NHS relies on EU and non-EU nationals for its manpower. This is not just in skilled roles, but also in those others for which no skill is required, a la Starbucks. At some point, UKIP is going to have to explain who will do these jobs when the drawbridge comes up, given that Britons could do them now but won't and UKIP's points wheeze will exclude low skill immigrants who will do them.

I shudder at the prospect of a British cleaner...
    " the number of GPs would fall to 0. Vote UKIP!"

No it wouldnt
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,433

Alistair said:

I think it's fairly notable that the group most in favour of independence, in all polls across all companies is the 35-44 year old group.

Thatcher's Children.

or families with children.
    Why has share ownership gone down then?
    No significant new privatisations, people selling shares to cover bills and building societies going tits up so wiping out the shares.
    My understanding is that share ownership by the general public is lower now than in 1979. And many of the “public” untilities are now wholly owned by primarily non-British companies.
    wouldn't surprise me. When people need money they sell shares, I'll be selling a whack of mine to pay Uni fees. What's your point ?

Alistair said:

I think it's fairly notable that the group most in favour of independence, in all polls across all companies is the 35-44 year old group.

Thatcher's Children.

No significant new privatisations, people selling shares to cover bills and building societies going tits up so wiping out the shares.
    My understanding is that share ownership by the general public is lower now than in 1979. And many of the “public” untilities are now wholly owned by primarily non-British companies.
    Why does it matter who the ultimate owner of Thames Water or Heathrow Airport is, so long as they provide an efficient service?

Re share ownership: actually, we're all massively more bought into shares than we were in 1979. In 1979, people genuinely thought that SERPS was going to pay their pensions, now they know better. The difference is that share ownership today is more likely to be through funds (particularly index ones) or through pensions.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,065
    Sean, you've gone into the Home Of UKIP and predicted the end of Cameron and a Con/UKIP government! You will hence-force be elevated to GOD-LIKE status at the Telegraph Blogs!

Well done.
  • Options
    Riddle me this, oh PB brains trust: Why is Dave not (yet) pushing for a Federal UK?

I can see absolutely why Labour abhor the idea. I can see absolutely why Farage pushes for a FUK. But why - really why - is there radio silence from the Tories? I don't get it.
  • Options

It's over...

Who the hell thinks this is a good idea?

• Options
    Since Sporting Index opened their Turnout market on the referendum the price has drifted slowly up from (buy) 79 to 80.2.

I still think this is a bit of a snip. It's hard to imagine turnout being much below 80% and 85% or more seems rather more likely.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @GIN1138
    "Who the hell thinks this is a good idea?"

Wee Eck?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

It's over...

Loathed Westminster politicians pitching up to tell them how to vote, is only going to push it one way.
    It's certainly and obviously a risk, but they presumably think doing nothing is now even riskier, and they are possibly right.

Because, much as you may wish it away, a YES vote would be very very grim, economically. Every single economist and banker knows this. I am mystified by people like you who so blithely dismiss this threat - even if you want Scotland to push off, is it worth a new and nasty recession? Or do you think all the economists are wrong and after a YES vote it will be fine.

Serious question. I am puzzled.
    'Yes' will not be grim (well maybe north of the border). There will be pitfalls, and additional costs, but grim? Really? You need to calm down, take off the hysteria goggles, and stop the frankly irresponsible, shrieking,
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Thatcher's Children.

wouldn't surprise me. When people need money they sell shares, I'll be selling a whack of mine to pay Uni fees. What's your point ?

Alistair said:

Thatcher's Children.

Why does it matter who the ultimate owner of Thames Water or Heathrow Airport is, so long as they provide an efficient service?

Re share ownership: actually, we're all massively more bought into shares than we were in 1979. In 1979, people genuinely thought that SERPS was going to pay their pensions, now they know better. The difference is that share ownership today is more likely to be through funds (particularly index ones) or through pensions.
    Well let's see if the company is UK domiciled and primarily owned by Uk shareholders chances are it will pay taxes. If its foreign owned with foreign shareholders chances are it will pay taxes elsewhere, do its R&D elsewhere and not give a second thought to closing operations since it has no allegiance to the place it's based in.

That's why national infrastructure counts.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Riddle me this, oh PB brains trust: Why is Dave not (yet) pushing for a Federal UK?

I can see absolutely why Labour abhor the idea. I can see absolutely why Farage pushes for a FUK. But why - really why - is there radio silence from the Tories? I don't get it.

Because the Conservatives "raison d'etre" is to conserve. I.E. maintain the status quo.

Only time they went against that was when they allowed Heath to sign us up to the EU, but they have faught a terrible battle about that ever since.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747

Neil said:

knee cap the bastards.
    Give it to Scotland post a Yes vote as part of the divorce settlement.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Alanbrooke

"That's why national infrastructure counts"

Couldn't agree more. Though we will eviscerate each other over how it should be done. :-)
  • Options

It's over...

At this point the only way to save the union is for patriotic British rail workers to reroute their train to Penzance.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I can't help thinking that we might not have got to this stage if a proper federal constitution for the UK had been adopted, rather than the excessive tinkering and constitutional creep we have in fact had to endure.

• Options
    Maybe Cameron and Miliband should head up to Edinburgh to review the OO parade as part of their efforts to save the union? Or maybe they should do the colouring in on the back of the fag packet that Brown drew up his major constitutional reforms on yesterday. No wonder these people are being given the runaround by Farage and Salmond, they're useless!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Again, for those airily dismissing the economic fall-out from YES.

"Japan’s biggest bank, Nomura, has advised clients to slash financial exposure to the UK and brace for a possible collapse of the pound after polls showed the independence campaign running neck and neck, warning that the separation of England and Scotland after more than 300 years would be a “cataclysmic shock

"“We could see a lot of money being pulled out of UK investments. Sterling could fall at least 15pc in a worst case scenario. These are scary times,” Mr Rochester added."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11082976/Britain-faces-storm-as-giant-global-investors-awaken-to-break-up-dangers.html

Are these the same analysts who didn't see the banking crash hurtling toward us?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

Because the Conservatives "raison d'etre" is to conserve. I.E. maintain the status quo.

Only time they went against that was when they allowed Heath to sign us up to the EU, but they have faught a terrible battle about that ever since.

But a FUK would conserve the UK. Maintaining the WLQ will kill the UK in vairly short order. The national sentiment has moved but the politics has not caught up - and that's always dangerous for politicians playing catch-up.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

I disagree - it's the perfect response to those who say they daren't set foot in Scotland and if the eventual vote is secession then fair enough - they tried. Under those circumstances Yes would be the right result for all of us. Far from being funny it increases my respect for all three of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Patrick said:

But the status quo is a pig's ear of assymetric devolution. The reason Con and Lab don't want it changed is that it would devastate their Westminster power base and the gravy train that goes with it.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Patrick said:

I can't help thinking that we might not have got to this stage if a proper federal constitution for the UK had been adopted, rather than the excessive tinkering and constitutional creep we have in fact had to endure.

Sums up Cameron nicely..."the excessive tinkering and constitutional creep."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2014

Since Sporting Index opened their Turnout market on the referendum the price has drifted slowly up from (buy) 79 to 80.2.

I still think this is a bit of a snip. It's hard to imagine turnout being much below 80% and 85% or more seems rather more likely.

I was abae to get money on >75.01% at Betfair when it was evens. I've hedged it out by taking 70-75 as well but it was basically a money purchase - the coverage of those two options is still, just, below 100%
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Having just read SeanT's blog on the DT, this line stood out for me

"Labour will lurch into bitter recriminations, as half its senior figures, such as Gordon Brown, instantly become foreigners."

I had thought that the 65 Scottish seats that would go would hurt Labour but I had not followed it to the obvious conclusion that Labour would lose so many senior figures.
  • Options

It's over...

At this point the only way to save the union is for patriotic British rail workers to reroute their train to Penzance.
    True, but it would be a hell of a shot in the arm for the Cornish separatist movement.

• Options
    felix said:

Far from being funny it increases my respect for all three of them.

It increases your respect for them that they only realised today that it might be a good idea for them to be campaigning to save the country they govern or aspire to govern instead of shouting at each other to no end over the despatch boxes?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

knee cap the bastards.
    I think you'll find that the answer would probably be "thanks, but no thanks".
    Scotland should get NI. We should always have made it a price of Scottish independence.

• Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Right. The UKIP policy is to address the "quantity and quality" of migration. We'd still have the best and brightest coming in. Thickos in the mainstream parties don't seem to get this. That's why they point to a slightly larger minority of immigrants than Brits having degrees, and then thinking that's evidence why bringing over more unskilled Somalis and Filipino cleaners is a good thing.
    I remember how the 'thickos' in UKIP squealed when I asked how the "quantity and quality" of migration would be addressed, and what it would mean for the companies I work for.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

"Japan’s biggest bank, Nomura, has advised clients to slash financial exposure to the UK and brace for a possible collapse of the pound after polls showed the independence campaign running neck and neck, warning that the separation of England and Scotland after more than 300 years would be a “cataclysmic shock

"“We could see a lot of money being pulled out of UK investments. Sterling could fall at least 15pc in a worst case scenario. These are scary times,” Mr Rochester added."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11082976/Britain-faces-storm-as-giant-global-investors-awaken-to-break-up-dangers.html

15% devaluation of sterling.

Imports cost more, exports become cheaper. Balance of payments improves. All at a time when the UK economy is growing faster than virtually all it's competitors. If only the Greeks could be so lucky.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Why does it matter who the ultimate owner of Thames Water or Heathrow Airport is, so long as they provide an efficient service?"

Yes, I think it does. The owners of Thames Water is, I think, and Australian company that has been taking dividends out of the Company and back home. AT the same time Thames Water wants to, has to, invest in new infrastructure. The solution? Surcharge the tethered customers, who can't go anywhere else, and carry on exporting dividends (i.e. wealth) to Australia.

Now whatever system that is, it ain't capitalism. The shareholders of the Australian company are not taking a risk with their money, they have simply brought the ability to tax English citizens. In days of yore we had that system, where by a rich person could buy a "Staple" or a monopoly but we got rid of it for good reasons. It should never have been allowed back and should now be abolished.

If Thames Water need to invest N million quid to meet their obligations let them raise the money and make the investment. If they cannot do that and still make a profit then the shareholders loose their shirts and the business comes back into public ownership.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Imports cost more, exports become cheaper. Balance of payments improves. All at a time when the UK economy is growing faster than virtually all it's competitors. If only the Greeks could be so lucky.
    That sounds grim.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I was abae to get money on >75.01% at Betfair when it was evens. I've hedged it out by taking 70-75 as well but it was basically a money purchase - the coverage of those two options is still, just, below 100%

Yes, the Betfair market is a safer if less profitable option.

If you have a cash float you can safely invest it in >75% at a 30% return over the next 9 days. You can even add a little cheap insurance by buying 70/75% at 4.9, to soften the blow in case it pees down with rain on voting day.

Anything less than 70% is inconceivable short of a Tsunami washing 30% of eligible voters into the North Sea.
  • Options
    Neil said:

felix said:

It increases your respect for them that they only realised today that it might be a good idea for them to be campaigning to save the country they govern or aspire to govern instead of shouting at each other to no end over the despatch boxes?
    Yes. All of the previous advice was for them to stay out of it. And here we are. Maybe it is too late and the game is over. But it must be right that they stand up for the Union in this way if only to test the resolve of the Scots to secede. I personally am fairly ambivalent about the result [although I foresee economic problems in both countries at a time when they are not needed to put it mildly]. But I do admire their willingness to tackle the issue head on however late in the day. The cynical of course will always sneer from the sidelines - if that's what floats your boat good on you.
  • Options

SeanT said:

hmmm

maybe not quite.

short term prices soar as it takes time to switch. We only export more if we have the capacity which currently isn't the case.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,526
    edited September 2014
    felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

I disagree - it's the perfect response to those who say they daren't set foot in Scotland and if the eventual vote is secession then fair enough - they tried. Under those circumstances Yes would be the right result for all of us. Far from being funny it increases my respect for all three of them.
    Who's saying they 'daren't' set foot in Scotland? It's what they do when they're there. Miliband was in Scotland last week in Labour 'heartlands' pretending to be old Labour and Cameron the week before blathering to the CBI (though even they gave him a hard time on a possible EU referendum).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    felix said:

Neil said:

felix said:

Yes. All of the previous advice was for them to stay out of it. And here we are. Maybe it is too late and the game is over. But it must be right that they stand up for the Union in this way if only to test the resolve of the Scots to secede. I personally am fairly ambivalent about the result [although I foresee economic problems in both countries at a time when they are not needed to put it mildly]. But I do admire their willingness to tackle the issue head on however late in the day. The cynical of course will always sneer from the sidelines - if that's what floats your boat good on you.
    the fun now is can Salmond track Cameron down and debate him in the street with a crowd of vociferous nats on tow.

First mistake Cameron has made on this unless he can keep his distance. Really business as usual was the better option.
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

I remember how the 'thickos' in UKIP squealed when I asked how the "quantity and quality" of migration would be addressed, and what it would mean for the companies I work for.
    Probably because you were asking people who agreed with the thrust of the ukip policy without actually being the people in charge of writing it

You should get in touch with @timaker on twitter maybe instead of using this useless argument

• Options
    edited September 2014

Socrates said:

isam said:

Actually, Mr. J., I don't remember. Will you, please, remind us?

P.S. Was it last week you and your lady had your big day out in London? Of so can you tell us how it went and what you did?
  • Options
    @HurstLlama
    It's where the "free market" fails to deliver because it's interests are not the customers, but the shareholders.
    Where the "market" works, needs to be separated from where it doesn't.
    Heresy to many on PB, but perfectly rational to almost everyone else.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,127
    When i s the next indyref poll due? Will be interesting to see the effect of the YouGov shocker...
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Probably because you were asking people who agreed with the thrust of the ukip policy without actually being the people in charge of writing it

You should get in touch with @timaker on twitter maybe instead of using this useless argument

Well, you support the policy and shout about it endlessly. If people come up with reasoned questions about it, I suggest you either try to come up with reasoned answers, or admit they may have a point.

It seems you have absolutely no clue.

• Options

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

Who's saying they 'daren't' set foot in Scotland? It's what they do when they're there. Miliband was in Scotland last week in Labour 'heartlands' pretending to be old Labour and Cameron the week before blathering to the CBI (though even they gave him a hard time on a possible EU referndum).
    I can't quote anyone specific but I think that the general SNP line was that English politicians should largely stay away. I suspect that Malc G may have been more explicit. However, either way, I respect their decision to act. It demonstrates a respect, however belated, for both no supporters and those they are trying to convince. It may well not pay off and if so fair enough - the Scots will get what they want and maybe for the RoUK the removal of 5 million or so who say it's 'undemocratic' that they have had to put up with governments they didn't vote for, will prove a good thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@HurstLlama
    It's where the "free market" fails to deliver because it's interests are not the customers, but the shareholders.
    Where the "market" works, needs to be separated from where it doesn't.
    Heresy to many on PB, but perfectly rational to almost everyone else.

With Thames Water there isn't actually a market, let alone a free market.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Well, you support the policy and shout about it endlessly. If people come up with reasoned questions about it, I suggest you either try to come up with reasoned answers, or admit they may have a point.

It seems you have absolutely no clue.

Yes I support there being a control on immigration based on what people can offer the country

I am not a politician or involved in politics at all, so why should I have to answer, or be expected to be able to answer, forensic questions specific to the business of someone I don't know from Adam?

I am guessing that you wanted me to come up with a few ideas so that you could shoot them down with your idea of how they couldn't work based on details about your business that I couldn't possibly know.. but I am not getting drawn into that

I forwarded you the name of UKIPs head of Policy, is it so unreasonable to think he may have a better idea than me?

Anyway, why do you care? Why not just vote for someone else?
  • Options
    Some serious money has just been dumped on the Betfair market again. It's gone from hundreds to thousands being available. Would love to know where the liquidity is coming from.
  • Options
    Not sure how to add a jpeg to my comment so I've temporarily changed my avatar. This is the Swedish Social Democrat, (Mikael Damberg), who will probably take over as education minister after this Sunday's election.

Remind you of anyone?
  • Options

Alistair said:

If you have a cash float you can safely invest it in >75% at a 30% return over the next 9 days. You can even add a little cheap insurance by buying 70/75% at 4.9, to soften the blow in case it pees down with rain on voting day.

Anything less than 70% is inconceivable short of a Tsunami washing 30% of eligible voters into the North Sea.
    Well, the concern has to be as to what "full turnout" actually would be, given the state of the register. NP has suggested 90-95%, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure whether 1/3 is great value any longer but obviously I'd expect it to win.

I actually got on this at an average of 4.1 but laid it off in pieces all the way down to 1.75 (plenty to other pb'ers, or so I gather). In my defence the polling wasn't nearly as close then!

Most importantly, I believe you & I both have an antepost voucher from 2007 on "Scotland to be independent by 2017". Would anyone care to price this eventuality in the event of a Yes? And has anyone ever won an antepost bet at 50/1 on this site before? ;-)
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

SeanT said:

hmmm

maybe not quite.

short term prices soar as it takes time to switch. We only export more if we have the capacity which currently isn't the case.
    The latter point's untrue but don't worry about it. I have a different, glass half full, view of the Midlands' economy.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama
    I kind of thought that at the time they were getting sold off, but that was heresy in the brave new world of Mrs. Thatcher and Hayek.
    She was smart enough to see where things needed sorted, unfortunately she applied the wrong "fix" in a few places.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    There is “nothing to fear” from leaving the European Union if David Cameron is unable to renegotiate Britain’s relationship with Brussels, leading economists and academics say today.

In a letter to The Telegraph, they warn that the debate over the UK’s membership of the EU “has been characterised by half-truths and outright fabrications”.

In the letter, organised by the Business for Britain campaign group, the experts write that they want a new relationship between Britain and the European Union and support an in-out referendum........

Signatories include Dr Ruth Lea, the chairman of Economists for Britain, and John Mills, chairman of JML and a key Labour Party donor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11083426/No-need-for-Britain-to-fear-leaving-EU-say-economists.html
  • Options

Would anyone care to price this eventuality in the event of a Yes?

I would have thought it was better than evens given the views of the Scottish Government (and past experience).
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

Actually, Mr. J., I don't remember. Will, please, remind us?

P.S. Was it last week you and your lady had your big day out in London? Of so can you tell us how it went and what you did?
    Basically, some of it went over how our industry has a large skilled staff shortage, and find it hard to recruit. The visa process we have at the moment is time-consuming, expensive, and often we cannot get the staff we require, even when they are excellently qualified.

That is under the current system. UKIPpers generally are all piss and wind when it comes to questions of how the "quantity and quality" of migration will be addressed without adversely affecting industries such as ours.

The answers I got were the same as iSam's below: basically, "I really believe this policy will help, but have absolutely no clue on how it will work or the effects it will have."

If they spent a tenth of the time they spend worrying about Filipino cleaners thinking about it, they might have better answers.

As for your p.s.: we're going next week, it should be fun! Thanks again for everyone's advice.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I did the same. The price was very generous for a long time.
  • Options

Most importantly, I believe you & I both have an antepost voucher from 2007 on "Scotland to be independent by 2017". Would anyone care to price this eventuality in the event of a Yes? And has anyone ever won an antepost bet at 50/1 on this site before? ;-)

I'm starting ot feel that 2016 is looking optimistic to have "full" (which I think was the provisio) independence by then. Is it the start or end of 2017 the bet is for?
  • Options
    RobD said:

When i s the next indyref poll due? Will be interesting to see the effect of the YouGov shocker...

Survation Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

Not sure when the embargo is lifted.
  • Options

Not sure how to add a jpeg to my comment so I've temporarily changed my avatar. This is the Swedish Social Democrat, (Mikael Damberg), who will probably take over as education minister after this Sunday's election.

Remind you of anyone?

He must have joined the Witness Protection Programme to escape over there. Sleeper agent on the Left as well, to avoid suspicion.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm starting ot feel that 2016 is looking optimistic to have "full" (which I think was the provisio) independence by then. Is it the start or end of 2017 the bet is for?
    This is a very good question. The said voucher is in my filing cabinet at home, so I will have to check (unless PtP can advise).

I'd have thought "best done quickly" applies here; I appreciate there is a lot to negotiate and sort but neither side would be well served by delay.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes I support there being a control on immigration based on what people can offer the country

I am not a politician or involved in politics at all, so why should I have to answer, or be expected to be able to answer, forensic questions specific to the business of someone I don't know from Adam?

I am guessing that you wanted me to come up with a few ideas so that you could shoot them down with your idea of how they couldn't work based on details about your business that I couldn't possibly know.. but I am not getting drawn into that

I forwarded you the name of UKIPs head of Policy, is it so unreasonable to think he may have a better idea than me?

So you loudly support a policy you are absolutely clueless about? And they are hardly 'forensic' questions.

An example of the questions such policies throw up : if a company hires a brilliant engineer from (say) India, should (s)he be able to bring in his family of eight with him, even if some of them may become cleaners? Can they come over immediately, or should there be a waiting period? Should they be able to apply for residency after a certain period in the UK?

That is hardly a complex set of questions for you to answer from your own viewpoint, if you do not even know UKIP's position.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Socrates said:

isam said:

Basically, some of it went over how our industry has a large skilled staff shortage, and find it hard to recruit. The visa process we have at the moment is time-consuming, expensive, and often we cannot get the staff we require, even when they are excellently qualified.

That is under the current system. UKIPpers generally are all piss and wind when it comes to questions of how the "quantity and quality" of migration will be addressed without adversely affecting industries such as ours.

The answers I got were the same as iSam's below: basically, "I really believe this policy will help, but have absolutely no clue on how it will work or the effects it will have."

If they spent a tenth of the time they spend worrying about Filipino cleaners thinking about it, they might have better answers.

As for your p.s.: we're going next week, it should be fun! Thanks again for everyone's advice.
    Good God you are an tiresome bore

The policy will stop areas of the country being flooded with people from poor countries undercutting English people, and stop entire towns changing in a a matter of years to the detriment of the people who lived there previously.

But as I say I don't get why you expect people that are broadly interested in politics to be able to forensically dissect policy specific to the business of strangers.. and that you claim victory and speak of people in derogatory terms for not guessing is just plain weird

Why not find out for yourself and vote accordingly?
  • Options
    matt said:

SeanT said:

hmmm

maybe not quite.

The latter point's untrue but don't worry about it. I have a different, glass half full, view of the Midlands' economy.
    up to you of course, but where do we manufacture consumer electronics, iphones or kitchen hardware. Then add in say oil or bananas. Big chunks of the UK deficit are structural so either we put the structure back in or hope that the other bits we haven't lost can make up the difference.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

"Why does it matter who the ultimate owner of Thames Water or Heathrow Airport is, so long as they provide an efficient service?"

Yes, I think it does. The owners of Thames Water is, I think, and Australian company that has been taking dividends out of the Company and back home. AT the same time Thames Water wants to, has to, invest in new infrastructure. The solution? Surcharge the tethered customers, who can't go anywhere else, and carry on exporting dividends (i.e. wealth) to Australia.

Now whatever system that is, it ain't capitalism. The shareholders of the Australian company are not taking a risk with their money, they have simply brought the ability to tax English citizens. In days of yore we had that system, where by a rich person could buy a "Staple" or a monopoly but we got rid of it for good reasons. It should never have been allowed back and should now be abolished.

If Thames Water need to invest N million quid to meet their obligations let them raise the money and make the investment. If they cannot do that and still make a profit then the shareholders loose their shirts and the business comes back into public ownership.

The utilities are borrowing money to invest. Quite a lot. The utility markets are regulated
    http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/watercompanies/profits/

But in any event where do you think money comes from - trees?
    If the govt run the utilites do you think they would be free? Whoever runs them the money would have to come from somewhere. Charges and borrowing.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

Who's saying they 'daren't' set foot in Scotland? It's what they do when they're there. Miliband was in Scotland last week in Labour 'heartlands' pretending to be old Labour and Cameron the week before blathering to the CBI (though even they gave him a hard time on a possible EU referndum).
    I can't quote anyone specific but I think that the general SNP line was that English politicians should largely stay away. I suspect that Malc G may have been more explicit. However, either way, I respect their decision to act. It demonstrates a respect, however belated, for both no supporters and those they are trying to convince. It may well not pay off and if so fair enough - the Scots will get what they want and maybe for the RoUK the removal of 5 million or so who say it's 'undemocratic' that they have had to put up with governments they didn't vote for, will prove a good thing.
    I'll eat a kilo of jellied eels if either of them put themselves into the position of taking questions from 'ordinary' voters. It's been suggested Cameron backed out of an STV interview with a Scottish audience because he wanted to choose the interviewer, have it recorded (non live) and have editorial oversight. If Cameron goes beyond that comfort zone now, my respect for him will increase somewhat.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    burnt out Salmond on the news.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

So you loudly support a policy you are absolutely clueless about? And they are hardly 'forensic' questions.

An example of the questions such policies throw up : if a company hires a brilliant engineer from (say) India, should (s)he be able to bring in his family of eight with him, even if some of them may become cleaners? Can they come over immediately, or should there be a waiting period? Should they be able to apply for residency after a certain period in the UK?

That is hardly a complex set of questions for you to answer from your own viewpoint, if you do not even know UKIP's position.
    If you are going to use "(s)he" you probably shouldnt refer to the person as "him"

A wife and six kids, I say ok, (if the kids are under 16) but they cant claim any kind of state benefit

Residency... yes after 5-6 years I guess
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

I'll eat a kilo of jellied eels if either of them put themselves into the position of taking questions from 'ordinary' voters. It's been suggested Cameron backed out of an STV interview with a Scottish audience because he wanted to choose the interviewer, have it recorded (non live) and have editorial oversight. If Cameron goes beyond that comfort zone now, my respect for him will increase somewhat.
    from total twat to merely twat ? Can't see him rushing for that one.
  • Options

"Labour will lurch into bitter recriminations, as half its senior figures, such as Gordon Brown, instantly become foreigners."

I had thought that the 65 Scottish seats that would go would hurt Labour but I had not followed it to the obvious conclusion that Labour would lose so many senior figures.

From 1992 to 2010. None of these Labour Leaders would have been in charge of the HoC Labour party if Scotland was already independent.
    John Smith, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

Let's see - i doubt anyone would hold you to your first sentence. Of course it is so difficult to define 'ordinary' voters but I'd say they would give anyone a fair hearing - it's the zealots on both sides who we so often hear rather than the ordinary Jo's
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2014

isam said:

..................An example of the questions such policies throw up : if a company hires a brilliant engineer from (say) India, should (s)he be able to bring in his family of eight with him, even if some of them may become cleaners? Can they come over immediately, or should there be a waiting period? Should they be able to apply for residency after a certain period in the UK?.....
    A work permit for each of them should be required. Charge top end folk £10k to £20k pa for the work permits. Charge cleaners £2k to £3k pa. Look at the Cayman Islands way of coping with circa 50% of its workers on permits.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Well, the concern has to be as to what "full turnout" actually would be, given the state of the register. NP has suggested 90-95%, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure whether 1/3 is great value any longer but obviously I'd expect it to win.

I actually got on this at an average of 4.1 but laid it off in pieces all the way down to 1.75 (plenty to other pb'ers, or so I gather). In my defence the polling wasn't nearly as close then!

Seems too high. Some will be ill, incapacitated, indisposed, or unable to find/get to the polling station in time, a few will be too lazy, unbelievably a handful may even just forget to go. Some might walk by, see the queues, and decide they can't be arsed.

Not a large number, admittedly, but I'd have thought 85% as an absolute cap.
  • Options

Alistair said:

This is a very good question. The said voucher is in my filing cabinet at home, so I will have to check (unless PtP can advise).

I'd have thought "best done quickly" applies here; I appreciate there is a lot to negotiate and sort but neither side would be well served by delay.
    My voucher says 'End of May 2017'.

A Yes vote would bring about Independence well before this date, probably by March 2016, so no sweat on that point. In fact I should think Hills may well pay out soon after the referendum if it goes that way.

• Options

felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

Oh dear - an 'ordinary' voter?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    He's bluffing...

@faisalislam: Mark Carney: in context of currency union refusal "a currency union is incompatible with sovereignty"

@PickardJE: Big news from Mark Carney Q&A in Liverpool: "A currency union is incompatible with Scotland."
  • Options
    Anyone who feels like having a few bob on the outcome of Sunday's upcoming Swedish election.

3 opinion polls in the last couple of days have shown a massive drop in the Left block, (S+MP+V), lead over the governing right block alliance, (M+FP+KD+C). Down from 11-13.5% a week ago to 4.2/5% today.

I still don't think it's enough to keep them in government but that's a big swing in just a few days.

Stefan Löfven, the leader of the Social Democrats, is seen as a nice guy but very inexperienced. He's made some bad mistakes in televised debates. He probably would prefer to lead a government across the two blocks as opposed to being beholden to the nutjob Left commie party,(V). (Not sure his own supporters are too keen on that idea though.)

As it stands today the Swedish Democrats, (think Ukip but with a lot more unsavoury history), are polling double the difference, (over 10%), between the two blocks. Since no other party will work with them a cross block accommodation seems the likely outcome.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,452

It's over...

Not much use if it is an electric train!

It's over...

True, but it would be a hell of a shot in the arm for the Cornish separatist movement.

Especially with the Trident facilities moving to Falmouth (and the subs to Guz).

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    No desperation in sight. No, siree.

http://order-order.com/2014/09/09/beyond-saltire
  • Options
    @Casino Royal

It was 93% at the Quebec referendum. General election turnout there tended to be a bit lower than Scotland, and I can't see any other major relevant differences apart possibly from the state of the Register.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He's bluffing...

@faisalislam: Mark Carney: in context of currency union refusal "a currency union is incompatible with sovereignty"

@PickardJE: Big news from Mark Carney Q&A in Liverpool: "A currency union is incompatible with Scotland."

One of those seems to have gotten their tweet very wrong! I'm guessing the one from the FT.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,452
    edited September 2014

From 1992 to 2010. None of these Labour Leaders would have been in charge of the HoC Labour party if Scotland was already independent.
    Blair? Mr Blair was surely English [edit: or more precisely non-Scottish] by mentality, insofar as he thought in that way at all, and he sat for Sedgefield, which hasn't been Scottish since (very temporarily) sometime in the 14th century IIRC.

• Options
    SeanT said:

felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

nments they didn't vote for, will prove a good thing.
    Let's see - i doubt anyone would hold you to your first sentence. Of course it is so difficult to define 'ordinary' voters but I'd say they would give anyone a fair hearing - it's the zealots on both sides who we so often hear rather than the ordinary Jo's
    It would also have been impossible to go on with PMQs as a third of the country threatens to break away. It would look crazily parochial, and blinkered, and bad for NO - the two party leaders bickering in London as Britain is about to dissolve. Just underlining that London doesn't care about Scotland.

So PMQs had to be cancelled anyway (I wonder if they will also cancel next week?).
    And they just realised this today.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Blair? Mr Blair was surely English [edit: or more precisely non-Scottish] by mentality, insofar as he thought in that way at all, and he sat for Sedgefield, which hasn't been Scottish since (very temporarily) sometime in the 14th century IIRC.
    Born in Scotland. Both parents grew up in Scotland.
  • Options
    If nothing else, at least having the three leaders in Scotland trying to save the "Union", might save us from waiting till their conference speeches?
    They will have to try to sell a vision of a "future" UK rather than the present one?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Neil said:

It's being reported they realised this yesterday, just announced it today...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,526
    edited September 2014

felix said:

felix said:

Neil said:

It's over...

Hilarious.

I chose the word 'somewhat' quite carefully.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Neil said:

It's being reported they realised this yesterday, just announced it today...
    Phew! The union is safe in their hands!

• Options

Neil said:

knee cap the bastards.
    why do you want to sink the South ?

the Irish aren't as stupid as you think.
    One of the ironies of the Troubles was that our friends across the pond got it 100% wrong-

They thought Eire wanted the north (wouldn't touch it with a barge pole), the North wanted to join them and only the British (Who'd dump the North in a heartbeat) were standing in the way.....
This discussion has been closed.