Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the rumours that a YES lead poll is about to be publi

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    well who could have seen that coming ?

Having said he would go to get an Indy Scotland, now Salmond says he won't step down.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/alex-salmond-won-t-step-down-in-event-of-no-vote-1-3531594
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Charles said:

taffys said:

Just seen a tweet of the front page of the local Clacton rag, with the headline

'EXODUS'

150 tory workers cross the line to UKIP. Cast iron tories in a copper bottomed tory seat.

Lots of metal analogies there, for some reason...

Didn't the Exodus take 40 years?

If so, most of them will probably have died before they find UKIP

;-)
    Would it really have taken 40 years to walk from Nile to Jordan? Just asking!
    IIRC, they spent quite a bit of time in Sinai and Arabia, before eventually reaching Canaan.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited September 2014
    Neil said:

pbr2013 said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    Oddly, there are many religions that have a "flood myth", and not just the ones based on the old testament. Miracle births, and crucifixion/sacrifice also figure highly.
    Things like that are some of the gems that cause a Zen Christian to smile.

Only a theory, I know, but the innundation of the Black Sea happened around the right time for Jewish and Sumerian flood myths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

But how did Noah know it was going to happen?
    "You remember only one deluge, though there have been many" - Plato.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    Oddly, there are many religions that have a "flood myth", and not just the ones based on the old testament. Miracle births, and crucifixion/sacrifice also figure highly.

The virgin birth is a fascinating case of myth-making. For most of history, humans believed that it was only the father than provided the seed, and the women was merely the environment that allowed that seed to grow. Thus you could have a divine messiah be born to a woman: his origin came entirely from his father, God Almighty, and his mother was merely a host.

Once science realised this was not the case, and our origins come from both the male and female sides, this proved problematic. If Jesus had human lineage, then that meant he inherited original sin that all humans have inherited from Adam. The Catholic Church panicked when this came out, and quickly brought out the doctrine of immaculate conception: that God intervened when Mary was conceived, preventing her from receiving Adam's sin. That meant in turn she couldn't pass it on to Jesus.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014

Carnyx said:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scottish-independence-rmt-union-backs-yes-vote-1-3531501

Now that did surprise me. On the other hand, they did ask their members.

Sir Brian will be delighted.

"For employers who want to break the unions, one of their greatest weapons is the scab."
    That's a grisly combination - the RMT and Sir Brian Souter!

Of course, one of the advantages that the Yes is that people can project their own fantasies on to what independence will mean, even if they are completely contradictory. (The LibDems used to benefit from this, too).
    You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh when his bus factory in Falkirk closes.
    And move all it's production to Guildford? Lovely jubbly.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

The virgin birth is a fascinating case of myth-making. For most of history, humans believed that it was only the father than provided the seed, and the women was merely the environment that allowed that seed to grow. Thus you could have a divine messiah be born to a woman: his origin came entirely from his father, God Almighty, and his mother was merely a host.

Once science realised this was not the case, and our origins come from both the male and female sides, this proved problematic. If Jesus had human lineage, then that meant he inherited original sin that all humans have inherited from Adam. The Catholic Church panicked when this came out, and quickly brought out the doctrine of immaculate conception: that God intervened when Mary was conceived, preventing her from receiving Adam's sin. That meant in turn she couldn't pass it on to Jesus.
    The Christian virgin birth story is very similar to Hinduism's virgin birth story, that of Karna to Kunti, who later bore three of the five Pandavas of Mahabharata fame.

And then there's the Buddha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_births
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    Douglas Carswell (@DouglasCarswell)
    04/09/2014 16:28
    @grantshapps @GregHands Guys, Can you stop the negative briefing over this now, please? talkcarswell.com/home/quit-maki…
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Smarmeron said:

@Neil
    It's possible "Noah" was a Sumerian, they have a very similar myth that predates the old testament.

I thought it was something to do with the Black Sea! AFAIK the Dogger Bank area flooded slowly, as one would expect.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Smarmeron said:

@Neil
    It's possible "Noah" was a Sumerian, they have a very similar myth that predates the old testament.

I thought it was something to do with the Black Sea! AFAIK the Dogger Bank area flooded slowly, as one would expect.
    http://www.grahamhancock.com/archive/underworld/DrSunilAtlantis.php
    http://www.grahamhancock.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=118801&t=118801
  • Options
    FF42 said:

In my view David Cameron made two big mistakes in his negotiations over the referendum:

1. He should have insisted on agreeing the question before signing off the Edinburgh. He would then require the question to include the option of remaining in the Union, eg Do you think Scotland should A) be an independent country? or B) remain part of the United Kingdom?

The question is then, as it should be, a choice between alternatives rather an assertion.

2. He should have insisted on the franchise including Scottish born residents in the UK as well as all residents in Scotland.

If it is a Yes in a fortnight, it will be close enough that those two mistakes will have made the difference.

I don't think point 2 would have been practical - although it would certainly have been desirable. You are spot on with point 1 though.

I can only imagine that Cameron and his advisors were:

1. Very confident about the outcome
    2. Did not wish to give the SNP anything they could gripe about, ie, "look, the circumstances were the best they could have been for you, but you still lost. And that's that." This, of course, only works if they do, indeed, lose.
  • Options
    @Patrick - but even she said, famously; "Every Prime Minister needs a Willie."
  • Options
    Richard Lord continues to add to the gaiety of the Nation:

Now that Douglas Carswell is Nigel’s bitch; he will perpetually be picking up the political equivalent of prison soap. Trust me on that one.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/04/nigel-farage-candidate-ukip-clacton-douglas-carswell?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

You are spot on with point 1 though.

2. Did not wish to give the SNP anything they could gripe about, ie, "look, the circumstances were the best they could have been for you, but you still lost. And that's that." This, of course, only works if they do, indeed, lose.

Maybe he just thought that a question that was "fair, easy to understand and capable of producing a result that is accepted and commands confidence" and also subject to a review process undertaken by the Electoral Commission was quite a good outcome.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scottish-independence-rmt-union-backs-yes-vote-1-3531501

"For employers who want to break the unions, one of their greatest weapons is the scab."

Of course, one of the advantages that the Yes is that people can project their own fantasies on to what independence will mean, even if they are completely contradictory. (The LibDems used to benefit from this, too).
    You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh when his bus factory in Falkirk closes.
    Or Wrightbus in Ballymena or Optare in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    Pulpstar said:

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 1m

BUSTED >> SNP MSP encourages Yes campaigners to turn up and disrupt @jimmurphy event

http://labli.st/1rOhTCv

He's asked them to turn up and "ask the important questions" - not yell abuse or egg Murphy or whatnot.
    Might not get an answer. As for egging on, see

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/290908-stuart-mackenzie-threw-eggs-at-labour-mp-jim-murphy-in-kirkcaldy/

Not exactly masterminded by Yes Scotland, was it? Or egged on by them?

• Options

Carnyx said:

Ballymena would probably suit better - fewer homos.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014
    TGOHF said:

This sounds luvvie tastic - will Jude Law be playing Andy Coulson ?

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/george-clooney-to-direct-film-about-uk-phone-hacking/350959

"George Clooney has announced he will direct a film about the UK phone-hacking scandal.

The star of Gravity and producer of the Oscar-winning Argo will adapt the book Hack Attack written by The Guardian journalist Nick Davies."

"looney said in a statement: "This has all the elements – lying, corruption, blackmail – at the highest levels of government by the biggest newspaper in London."

Will be funny if 20th Century Fox pays for and distributes it...

• Options

Smarmeron said:

@Neil

Old King Cole

Sumeria as you know was in modern Iraq - Iraq has an outlet to the Gulf, and the entire Gulf would have been a fertile plain above water during the Ice Age, with a single combined Tigris and Euphrates bisecting it all the way to the current Strait of Hormuz.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Carnyx said:

Ballymena would probably suit better - fewer homos.

I wouldn't quite believe everything the DUP say.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Neil said:

Neil said:

pbr2013 said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Only a theory, I know, but the innundation of the Black Sea happened around the right time for Jewish and Sumerian flood myths.

How do the Greens know it's going to happen?
    After the first 39 days and nights of incessant rain we had a hunch.
    Nonsense, that's just Summer in Limerick.
    Thank you, Mr. Brooke! You have no idea how much I needed the belly laugh that post prompted.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Now that Douglas Carswell is Nigel’s bitch; he will perpetually be picking up the political equivalent of prison soap. Trust me on that one.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/04/nigel-farage-candidate-ukip-clacton-douglas-carswell?CMP=twt_gu

I fear the phrase "prison soap" may haunt Carswell until the end of his political career (May 2015).

• Options
    <
    A nation is about to die, or, at least, lose a third of its territory. The constitutional, financial, political, economic and cultural aftershocks will dominate the rest of the decade for all Britons, and beyond - and not in a good way. It is inconceivable that a prime minister could preside over such a calamity and not step down in shame when it happens on his watch.

Quite agree. Unfortunately not may people either side of the border seem to get it. (Sigh)
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I imagine that in a parallel universe where Braveheart hadn't been made, the Yes vote would be much smaller. I believe that all that FREEDOM!!!!! balls reinforced the lead in the pencils of the likes of Malc etc.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Neil said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Neil said:

David Cameron: I will not resign if Scotland votes for independence

Give him a whiskey, a revolver and put him in a dark room with SeanT and he will do the right thing.
    Cameron or SeanT?
    Mr. Charles I think the original author's idea was that Cameron would drink the whiskey and SeantT would then shoot him Maybe I read it wrong and that Sean would drink the Whiskey and then shoot Cameron, or perhaps Cameron would do the drinking and then shoot himself with SeanT standing by as a, thirsty, witness. The key bit is that, even if Sean doesn't do anything, Cameron comes out of the room feet first.
    Interesting.

I read it as Sean would start harranging Cameron until he decided to 'make it stop'
    I was going for (and seem to have achieved!) deliberate ambiguity.

If Scotland votes Yes, SeanT will much prefer to taunt Labour people over losing Scotland, than making Dave resign.
    Well Dave's said that he definitely not going to resign.

And we all know that he never changes his mind*

;-)

* (Although I don't think he will actually resign, but it's quite funny he actually had to say that!)
  • Options

A somewhat graphic image – has Mr Lord not heard the expression ‘too much information’?....
  • Options
    FF42 said:

In my view David Cameron made two big mistakes in his negotiations over the referendum:

1. He should have insisted on agreeing the question before signing off the Edinburgh. He would then require the question to include the option of remaining in the Union, eg Do you think Scotland should A) be an independent country? or B) remain part of the United Kingdom?

The question is then, as it should be, a choice between alternatives rather an assertion.

2. He should have insisted on the franchise including Scottish born residents in the UK as well as all residents in Scotland.

If it is a Yes in a fortnight, it will be close enough that those two mistakes will have made the difference.

Fair enough, Mr. 42, but why? If the Scots are really so unhappy that they can only accept a Labour government at Westminster then the union is bust. There is no point in trying to hang on to it.
  • Options
    Neil said:

You are spot on with point 1 though.

Maybe he just thought that a question that was "fair, easy to understand and capable of producing a result that is accepted and commands confidence" and also subject to a review process undertaken by the Electoral Commission was quite a good outcome.
    Yes, it's striking the number who seem to think that something other than the settled will of the people of Scotland is a desirable outcome.

Salmond had to change the question when the EC struck out "do you agree that"...
  • Options

A somewhat graphic image – has Mr Lord not heard the expression ‘too much information’?....
    Mysoginistic language, old fashioned gay stereotypes... Typical lib dem
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Just seen a tweet of the front page of the local Clacton rag, with the headline

'EXODUS'

150 tory workers cross the line to UKIP. Cast iron tories in a copper bottomed tory seat.

Lots of metal analogies there, for some reason...

Didn't the Exodus take 40 years?

If so, most of them will probably have died before they find UKIP

;-)
    Would it really have taken 40 years to walk from Nile to Jordan? Just asking!
    In the Bible "forty" usually means "a lot" - i.e. more than about 7.

that's why Jesus had 40 disciples.

and why he was able to feed the 40 using 7 fishes and a scottish plain loaf or two.

(maybe yr rule only applies in the old testament)
    Well I think it applies to the forty days & nights He spent in the wilderness as well. As @Plato said there could well be a religious significance as well - it's been a long time since I studied theology - but it's not *literally* a fixed period of time
  • Options
    Vibrant, diverse London where we all play happily

khads (@_khxds)
    04/09/2014 17:03
    looool so i man had just beheaded a woman, threatened and injured a police officer with a machete and he was only tasered? yup, defo white.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RobD said:

Neil said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Neil said:

David Cameron: I will not resign if Scotland votes for independence

Give him a whiskey, a revolver and put him in a dark room with SeanT and he will do the right thing.
    Cameron or SeanT?
    Mr. Charles I think the original author's idea was that Cameron would drink the whiskey and SeantT would then shoot him Maybe I read it wrong and that Sean would drink the Whiskey and then shoot Cameron, or perhaps Cameron would do the drinking and then shoot himself with SeanT standing by as a, thirsty, witness. The key bit is that, even if Sean doesn't do anything, Cameron comes out of the room feet first.
    Interesting.

I read it as Sean would start harranging Cameron until he decided to 'make it stop'
    I was going for (and seem to have achieved!) deliberate ambiguity.

If Scotland votes Yes, SeanT will much prefer to taunt Labour people over losing Scotland, than making Dave resign.
    I'm looking forward to SeanT's reaction if/when No win... :')
    It'll be a bit like Ewok Celebration at the end of Return of the Jedi...

I imagine that in a parallel universe where Braveheart hadn't been made, the Yes vote would be much smaller. I believe that all that FREEDOM!!!!! balls reinforced the lead in the pencils of the likes of Malc etc.

It's all Mel's fault then?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

FF42 said:

Fair enough, Mr. 42, but why? If the Scots are really so unhappy that they can only accept a Labour government at Westminster then the union is bust. There is no point in trying to hang on to it.
    That's an important point. I want the Union to continue. But, if Scots are only prepared for it to continue upon condition that the UK has as left wing government, then we must end it.

• Options
    Neil said:

pbr2013 said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Cos he was a drunk nutter who was building a boat anyway?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    The main worry for "No" is that almost everyone deep down knows that the UK is broken.
    The choice between staying in and fixing it, or getting out and starting from scratch is a close run thing for many
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Tim not taking labour losing votes to ukip well?

Martin Buhagiar (@TimesIndyEditor)
    04/09/2014 17:07
    Other witnesses tell us they saw machete-wielding man also killing cats. #Edmonton enfieldindependent.co.uk/news
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF42 said:

That's an important point. I want the Union to continue. But, if Scots are only prepared for it to continue upon condition that the UK has as left wing government, then we must end it.

Yes. And if they vote "Yes" but then try to backtrack as Project Fib turns to dust, the whole package should be put to all of the UK, not just 8% of it....

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Lib Dem ? - Aye, I thought he was a UKIP county councillor before quitting.
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114

FF42 said:

I don't think point 2 would have been practical - although it would certainly have been desirable. You are spot on with point 1 though.

I don't see why (2) wouldn't be practical. Add an extra box in the EWNI Electoral Registration forms: Please list any Scottish born residents with full name and DOB. They could then check the databases that the combination is unique and issue a postal vote; otherwise they require the voter to turn up in person at a polling station - say one per major town - with a passport or birth certificate that names the place of birth
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Smarmeron said:

The main worry for "No" is that almost everyone deep down knows that the UK is broken.
    The choice between staying in and fixing it, or getting out and starting from scratch is a close run thing for many

In what ways is it broken?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

pbr2013 said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Cos he was a drunk nutter who was building a boat anyway?
    Bloody hell, except for the boat building he sounds like my kind of guy. I knew I should have gone to see the movie.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

I suspect over 90% of the world's population could cope with our "broken"....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    SeanT said:

FF42 said:

I do wish you guys would stop talking about when I am wandering the remoter parts of the Rhineland. There is no 3G in Bacharach, so I am unable to defend myself against charges of premeditating homicide.

ON topic, I think Cameron bungled almost everything to do with the referendum, from not allowing Devomax to not insisting on a more positive campaign (alongside the necessary fear-mongering) to the points raised above.

This is one reason why he will resign if it is YES. But I think he'd resign even if his political judgment had been proved impeccable. THE UNITED KINGDOM IS ON THE VERGE OF BREAKING UP.

A nation is about to die, or, at least, lose a third of its territory. The constitutional, financial, political, economic and cultural aftershocks will dominate the rest of the decade for all Britons, and beyond - and not in a good way. It is inconceivable that a prime minister could preside over such a calamity and not step down in shame when it happens on his watch.

That said, as of this moment I still expect NO to edge it - just. But it is very very close, and it could go the other way all to easily, and this should never have been the case.

Cameron is a bungler of epic proportions.

I wonder if Smithson Junior is now so confident of his 60/40 No/Yes predictions? I doubt it.
    Yes I am.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

I hear Mel is blaming the Jews.
  • Options

One thing I have learnt over the last two years is that mentioning that film in the context of UK politics is one of the most reliable indicators of a Unionist known to humanity. Amazing what a grievance they have against the unfortunate Mr Gibson.

• Options
    @CarlottaVance

It's the percentages in the UK I was talking about.
  • Options
    Anatole Kaletsky:

Until this week almost nobody outside Scotland took very seriously the possibility that Europe’s most stable and durable nation, the only big country on earth not to have suffered invasion, revolution or civil war at any time in the past 300 years, might soon be wiped off the map.

http://blogs.reuters.com/anatole-kaletsky/2014/09/04/as-chances-of-uk-split-grow-costs-to-the-world-become-clearer/
  • Options
    Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair overlap in the FREEDOM!!!!ers and the people who blame the Jews for everything
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Patrick said:

A YES poll lead woud give that 400,000 quid NO punter palpitations I imagine.

I thought he had topped it up twice and is now at 800K , so will be on toilet for a few weeks more like
  • Options

I should say, further to what I wrote below, my hat is off to Jim Murphy. Shown real grit in getting out there day after day. Done more for Better Together than anyone else. Hope a few more start stepping up.

Murphy has been excellent. A future Labour leader, streets ahead of EdM.
    You set an incredibly low bar there
  • Options

Anatole Kaletsky:

Until this week almost nobody outside Scotland took very seriously the possibility that Europe’s most stable and durable nation, the only big country on earth not to have suffered invasion, revolution or civil war at any time in the past 300 years, might soon be wiped off the map.

http://blogs.reuters.com/anatole-kaletsky/2014/09/04/as-chances-of-uk-split-grow-costs-to-the-world-become-clearer/

People are still paying that guy for his "insights"?!

I suppose there's been a gap in the market since mystic Mogg left us.

• Options
    edited September 2014

FF42 said:

Mr Llama I am as you know a Unionist and have spent many happy hours pointing out the lunacy some of our Nats like to call economics. So I would be disppaointed if Scotland leaves and as it happens I still don't think that will be the outcome, poll wobbles are all part and parcel of election campaigns.

However say they do then there are of course many silver linings in this cloud.

1. 50 less Labour MPs and the party that split the Union suffers most
    2. Scotland's finance industry will move to London
    3. No currency union so they'll have to make their own way or join nice Mrs Merkel's club
    4. As many of our expert posters on here have indicated they will have an oil crisis of some sort thereby hollowing out the rest of their finances
    5. We can keep them out of the EU as long as we want since initially at least that will be in our interest
    6. Salmond will get monstered when all the promises he made can't be delivered so a decade of entertainment beckons

If it's Yes then too stupid will have won, it would be criminal not to take their money off them.

• Options

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair overlap in the FREEDOM!!!!ers and the people who blame the Jews for everything
    Dont be so pathetic.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

I thought lefties didn't believe in Broken Britain ?

Didn't you scorn Cameron for it ?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Have panelbase been ditched by the Sunday Times ?

Looks like it.
    YES were actively trying to get activists to register with YG as far back as April.
    Panelbase had the same issue.

IIRC, both pollsters took steps to stop the Nat infestation of their panels.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/new-recruits-banned-by-panelbase-from-indyref-polls.1378556935
    I have been with Yougov for years and never once polled on referendum
  • Options

isam said:

Lib Dem ? - Aye, I thought he was a UKIP county councillor before quitting.
    Sure I read he was defecting to the LDs?!?!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Looks like it.
    YES were actively trying to get activists to register with YG as far back as April.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/new-recruits-banned-by-panelbase-from-indyref-polls.1378556935
    They got tired of you answering "turnip" to every question?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

One thing I have learnt over the last two years is that mentioning that film in the context of UK politics is one of the most reliable indicators of a Unionist known to humanity. Amazing what a grievance they have against the unfortunate Mr Gibson.

I refuse to believe that the most ardent Nats don't get a tear in their eye and a bit of a stiffy when they watch that scene
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    We see different "brokens" from the ones you do, though sometimes we agree on the what, if not on how to fix it.
  • Options
    All of this suggests that Scotland’s health service has been over-funded rather than under-funded thanks to the Barnett system.

The same report shows that Scotland had significantly more nurses, hospital doctors and GPs per 1,000 population than any other UK country from 1996 to 2011.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-scotlands-nhs-threat-westminster/18821

And yet, worse health outcomes......
  • Options
    Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Isn't Mel drunk in a gutter somewhere in down-town LA?

• Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Dont be so pathetic.
    says the man who calls swinging Ballymena homophobic.
  • Options

I should say, further to what I wrote below, my hat is off to Jim Murphy. Shown real grit in getting out there day after day. Done more for Better Together than anyone else. Hope a few more start stepping up.

Whilst I do not like him I have to say he is one if not the only one that has actually shown a bit of passion and get up and go. Luckily they chose loser Darling to lead the campaign. Looks like Jim may get JoLo's job in Scotland after being dumped.
  • Options

Anatole Kaletsky:

"The fact that Scotland did not elect a single Conservative Member of Parliament in the last UK election [...]"

Poor Mr Mundell!

• Options
    Neil said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Looks like it.

They got tired of you answering "turnip" to every question?

Turnip
  • Options

F*** me, you Scots didn't just join the union.. you ran the whole f****** show, says Bob Geldof

THE outspoken Live Aid hero believes passionately that separation is wrong and says Scots should be true to their history by staying in the UK.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/better-together-takeover-bob-geldof-4161186

He wants to look after his own affairs methinks
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    We see different "brokens" from the ones you do, though sometimes we agree on the what, if not on how to fix it.

right so you trhink only you can define broken ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

I wonder if Smithson Junior is now so confident of his 60/40 No/Yes predictions? I doubt it.

Yes I am.

Haven't we got a bet on this?

[serious question, I seem to remember some gentlemanly wager twixt you and I re the scale (or existence) of the NO victory]
    Well: you told me that you would buy me a bottle of champagne at the Groucho Club in the event of a 'no'. (This was in recompense for the beer you owe me.)

However, I am going to lose my China bet with you. So, I will owe you something :-)
  • Options
    Isabel Hardman (@IsabelHardman)
    04/09/2014 17:18
    Exclusive: Ukip re-approaching Tory MPs offering to pay for constituency polls with carrot-and-stick approach specc.ie/1oIgSnU
  • Options

F*** me, you Scots didn't just join the union.. you ran the whole f****** show, says Bob Geldof

THE outspoken Live Aid hero believes passionately that separation is wrong and says Scots should be true to their history by staying in the UK.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/better-together-takeover-bob-geldof-4161186

Those quotes from Bob Geldof are brilliant.

I think the one individual capable of making a difference to this campaign is Billy Connolly. The Big Yin is hugely popular - particularly in Glasgow - and he hates nationalism. However he was so monstered by the nats that he seems to have withdrawn altogether and has pledged not to stick his toe into the festering pit. If I was directing Better Together I'd be on the phone to him right now.
    Yes sure he could send a message from the USA , he would make no difference other than getting himself pilloried. If you seriously think a spent comedian could make a difference you must be smoking something good.
  • Options

<

Quite agree. Unfortunately not may people either side of the border seem to get it. (Sigh)

I think Mr. T, not for the first time exaggerates for full effect. A country may not be about to lose a third of its territory (most of which consists of wilderness because the land is unproductive and nobody wants to live there), what may happen is less than 10% of the country want to go off and set-up on their own (taking with them that mostly unsettled territory).

Why that should cause us in the settled parts of the country to flap, and panic let alone endure, "Cultural aftershocks" I have no idea. If the Scots decide to piss off and go it alone, it will undoubtedly cause ructions around Whitehall and Westminster. The effect on the normal Englishman or English woman will be rather less than that weeks 2 for 1 offers at Tescos.

It is quite often and, I think very truly, said on here that the vast majority of people pay very little attention to politics outside the great set-piece issues (i.e. elections when as many as two-thirds can be persuaded to take an interest). Well for the vast majority of the population of this great nation of ours (i.e. those that live in England) what happens in Scotland or to Scotland matters about as much as what happens in or to Walloonia.

If, however, the English come to perceive (and it might take a few hammers to do that) that they are being "had over" in the resultant negotiations (DevoMax or Out) then their wrath will be felt by the party held responsible and that wrath will be entirely unforgiving.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He wants to look after his own affairs methinks
    Isn't he entitled to his opinion like everybody else?

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited September 2014

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Funny, don't remember the BNP expressing support for YES, and afaicr it's only No that has a known holocaust denier registered as an official campaigner.
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance
    Hospitals and health services serving a population of five million over an area a third the size of the UK mainland costs more and needs more staff?
    No shit Sherlock!
  • Options

doesn't everybody think he's a dick, though?

No.

OK, apart from a dick like you
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 1m

BUSTED >> SNP MSP encourages Yes campaigners to turn up and disrupt @jimmurphy event

http://labli.st/1rOhTCv

He's asked them to turn up and "ask the important questions" - not yell abuse or egg Murphy or whatnot.
    What do you expect from frothers
  • Options

<

I think Mr. T, not for the first time exaggerates for full effect. A country may not be about to lose a third of its territory (most of which consists of wilderness because the land is unproductive and nobody wants to live there), what may happen is less than 10% of the country want to go off and set-up on their own (taking with them that mostly unsettled territory).

Why that should cause us in the settled parts of the country to flap, and panic let alone endure, "Cultural aftershocks" I have no idea. If the Scots decide to piss off and go it alone, it will undoubtedly cause ructions around Whitehall and Westminster. The effect on the normal Englishman or English woman will be rather less than that weeks 2 for 1 offers at Tescos.

It is quite often and, I think very truly, said on here that the vast majority of people pay very little attention to politics outside the great set-piece issues (i.e. elections when as many as two-thirds can be persuaded to take an interest). Well for the vast majority of the population of this great nation of ours (i.e. those that live in England) what happens in Scotland or to Scotland matters about as much as what happens in or to Walloonia.

If, however, the English come to perceive (and it might take a few hammers to do that) that they are being "had over" in the resultant negotiations (DevoMax or Out) then their wrath will be felt by the party held responsible and that wrath will be entirely unforgiving.
    The effect on the normal Englishman or English woman will be rather less than that weeks 2 for 1 offers at Tescos.

LOL, astute observation Mr L.
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Dont be so pathetic.
    Like there's much swinging going on in Ballymena.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539

DavidL said:

>

It even has the 3,500 figure. The White paper says:
    "
    Land forces

An army HQ function and an all-arms brigade, with three infantry/marine units, equipped initially from a negotiated share of current UK assets, and supported by:
    a deployable Brigade HQ
    two light armoured reconnaissance units
    two light artillery units
    one engineer unit deploying a range of equipment for bridging, mine clearance and engineering functions
    one aviation unit operating six helicopters for reconnaissance and liaison
    two communication units
    one transport unit
    one logistics unit
    one medical unit

Special forces, explosives and ordnance disposal teams will bring the total to around 3,500 regular and at least 1,200 reserve personnel."

So no lie. Except from Robertson of course.

I tried hard at the time of publication but I could never make that list of units and the number of people available to fill them actually work. However I cut it I ended up with units too small to actually be worthwhile. It can be done but only if your, for example, transport unit consists of one sergeant and a few squaddies.

One needs to factor in training. Soldiering is by its nature a young man's game - you need far more people under 25 than over 25. That is taken care of in a big enough force because most youngsters join up for a limited period (for the fun of it and the adventure not as a long term career) but it does involve a lot of churn and a permanent long-term training commitment. If you force is only 3,500 strong in total there is no capacity to cope with that and in the specialist units not enough people to have a big enough core left to deploy.

You might get a combat brigade of 3,500 people with all those functions but only if you can draw that brigade from a much larger army.

P.S. The idea that one, very, small unit of engineers will contain enough men trained to build bridges do mine clearance and other aspects of combat engineering is laughable.
    Quite. We really should not bother pretending we will have an army at all. We could have some reservists to cover the tattoo. Anything else is a pointless gesture at this level as the vets were all saying in Perth today.

But no doubt Malcolm is right. Yes always are, apparently.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Is there not a medical term to describe someone who doesn't think Geldof is a dick?

Gadfly's got it
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Dont be so pathetic.

I rest my case.

Crystal Swing were presented with The Best Single of The Year Award at The Hot Country Awards Night at Tullyglass House, Ballymena, Co. Antrim on 2/4/14

http://www.crystalswing.com/news.html
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

doesn't everybody think he's a dick, though?

No.

OK, apart from a dick like you
    If YES win's will you actually be nice to everyone on here, just for one day, on 19th September?

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

Smarmeron said:

I thought lefties didn't believe in Broken Britain ?

Didn't you scorn Cameron for it ?
    As I said in my Telegraph blog (now with 3k shares, ahem) the left doesn't really think Britain is "broken" they just hate Britain and Britishness and think the ordinary English are racist or capitalist scum, so anything that helps to destroy Britain, or hurt the English, is good.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100284604/the-self-loathing-of-the-british-left-is-now-a-problem-for-us-all/

This is why supposedly unionist lefties find it so hard to defeat Salmond's pitiful fibs: they are telling a lie themselves. They don't actually believe in the Union.
    Could you imagine a British leftie waxing lyrical about Britain creating the modern world, the way Geldof, and Irish leftie just did?
  • Options

The post below, by the way, explains why Sir Ian Wood, the billionaire oil magnate, came out recently to trash the SNP's claims about oil prospects. (Not that any of this seems likely to sway anyone's intention to vote Yes up here, of course. Getting their own back on Mrs Thatcher is far too important for that).

He was trashing his own previous public figures purely because he was coming out for NO and he cut the number of years he was counting. Another unionist fibber.
    Either he was a dickhead six months ago or he is a liar now.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

One thing I have learnt over the last two years is that mentioning that film in the context of UK politics is one of the most reliable indicators of a Unionist known to humanity.
    Up to a point, though idiot is usually the larger of the sets in that particular Venn diagram. The intersection is pretty substantial too.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Eggthrower gets sentenced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29066058

80 hours of community work.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FF42 said:

Yes. And if they vote "Yes" but then try to backtrack as Project Fib turns to dust, the whole package should be put to all of the UK, not just 8% of it....

Only to the 92% - there would need to be two votes: (a) do the Scots want to rejoin and (b) do we want them?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

GIN1138 said:

Dont be so pathetic.

I rest my case.

Crystal Swing were presented with The Best Single of The Year Award at The Hot Country Awards Night at Tullyglass House, Ballymena, Co. Antrim on 2/4/14

http://www.crystalswing.com/news.html
    Alanbrooke ... what can I say ... you bringing pbc Crystal Swing news before TSE or I? This has to be your best post ever! ;)

What a night that must have been!

I expect this to be in the next edition of your diary.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Those quotes from Bob Geldof are brilliant.

I think the one individual capable of making a difference to this campaign is Billy Connolly. The Big Yin is hugely popular - particularly in Glasgow - and he hates nationalism. However he was so monstered by the nats that he seems to have withdrawn altogether and has pledged not to stick his toe into the festering pit. If I was directing Better Together I'd be on the phone to him right now.
    If you seriously think a spent comedian could make a difference you must be smoking something good.
    Did someone mention Salmond?

• Options
    @Alanbrooke
    No, the "left" can't fix the problems, just as the "right" can't, the "middle" is a swamp where good ideas slowly sink and drown.
    What might work is seeing where each of our ideas offer the best solution in different fields.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

Whilst I do not like him I have to say he is one if not the only one that has actually shown a bit of passion and get up and go. Luckily they chose loser Darling to lead the campaign. Looks like Jim may get JoLo's job in Scotland after being dumped.
    You will no doubt be delighted that Stuart Mackenzie, the guy who egged him in Kirkcaldy, has been given 80 hours of unpaid work for his troubles.

• Options

Anatole Kaletsky:

My first thought was of the Irish War for Independence, but 300 years would also cover some of the Jacobite rebellions - didn't they get to Derby in 1745?

I know educational standards are low these days, but that's a shocking lack of historical knowledge.

The fact that the possible Independence of Scotland is occurring by a constitutional method is something to be proud of.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@CarlottaVance
    Hospitals and health services serving a population of five million over an area a third the size of the UK mainland costs more and needs more staff?
    No shit Sherlock!

Where 4 of the 5 million are in the Central Belt?

Go and flaunt your ignorance somewhere else....

www.transportscotland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/rrd_reports/uploaded_reports/j7106v1/j7106v1-g05.gif
  • Options

Having said he would go to get an Indy Scotland, now Salmond says he won't step down.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/alex-salmond-won-t-step-down-in-event-of-no-vote-1-3531594

Tut Tut Alan you are being obtuse and fibby there
  • Options

FF42 said:

Mr Llama I am as you know a Unionist and have spent many happy hours pointing out the lunacy some of our Nats like to call economics. So I would be disppaointed if Scotland leaves and as it happens I still don't think that will be the outcome, poll wobbles are all part and parcel of election campaigns.

However say they do then there are of course many silver linings in this cloud.

1. 50 less Labour MPs and the party that split the Union suffers most
    2. Scotland's finance industry will move to London
    3. No currency union so they'll have to make their own way or join nice Mrs Merkel's club
    4. As many of our expert posters on here have indicated they will have an oil crisis of some sort thereby hollowing out the rest of their finances
    5. We can keep them out of the EU as long as we want since initially at least that will be in our interest
    6. Salmond will get monstered when all the promises he made can't be delivered so a decade of entertainment beckons

If it's Yes then too stupid will have won, it would be criminal not to take their money off them.

I agree Mr. Brooke. I have posted on here many times that if I was a Scot I would be voting "Yes" and as a patriotic Englishman I hope the Scots will vote, "Yes" (not least for some of the reasons you mention and a good many others more obliging to England than nasty for the Scots). However, when ever I used to post on such matters you, yes you, Mr. Brooke, would chide me. "It will lead to generations of blame being lumped on the English", you used to say, "Look at the example of Ireland. No good will come of it". And so on and so forth.

Yet now you seem more relaxed. What has changed?
  • Options

FF42 said:

Word you are looking for is STUPID
  • Options
    Having read Carswell's slippery blog response to dan Hodges re allegedly pulling off Merlin data pre-defection, and the latest missiles from Roger Lord, it is clear the most UKIP UKIP candidate is surely Mr. Lord - perhaps he should stand as the Real or Continuity UKIP in Clacton.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tut Tut Alan you are being obtuse and fibby there
    In June, he said: "If nominated I'll decline. If drafted I'll defer. And if elected I'll resign."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3895575.stm
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

<

I heard all this from a neutral, well-informed observer,
    A banker, weeping into his champagne? About whom you appear to know remarkably little?

Less interested in the effect on the populace, more bothered by the reduced opportunities to fleece people.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @CarlottaVance
    It's the one filth that live outside the central belt, and the fact that the Central Belt itself is less densely populated than large parts of England that means less scope for efficiencies.
    Consider ignorance flaunted.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Totally O/T , 8 weeks ago today college lecturers went on strike, one day before they finished for their summer holiday to protest about how horrible their job is now. They are just about to complete their 8th week of fully paid summer leave. What a horrible job!
This discussion has been closed.