Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two weeks to go in Scotland and NO edges up on the exchange

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two weeks to go in Scotland and NO edges up on the exchanges to a 77% chance

The widely reported news at the start of the week of the dramatic polling changes from YouGov in Scotland led inevitably to the money on the £3m Betfair markets to edge more towards YES. At one stage YES touched being a 26.5% chance but that has now started to recede with NO moving back upwards.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First!
  • Options
    OGH clearly smart - a lot of "emotional" money going on this from both sides. Timing is everything. Postal ballots are being posted. Tick Tock....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    Hm, where did my comments go? Nothing controversial in them guvn'r!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2014
    It's noticeable that 12 of the 18 faces on the front of the Daily Record are female (excl. Darling). Fits in with the narrative that women are more likely to vote No.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

Eastleigh UKIP are due to select their candidate later today. I don't know if Diane James is on the shortlist.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    To pick up on yesterday's thread and this, no-one cares what the Scots do. I'm not interested and I don't know anyone else south of the border who is either.

You may think this is very bad, but I just don't care.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    What does this suggestion of "capital controls" in the event of a yes vote actually mean in practice? Even if it were possible to restrict movement between "Scottish" and English banks, how on earth would they distinguish between people simply moving money about (and out of Scotland) and genuine necessary transactions? Large English firms doing payroll, people paying mortgages etc etc
  • Options
    The days of the printed media being a serious influence on public opinion are surely long in the past.

Daily Records circulation is down something like 70% from peak
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

The days of the printed media being a serious influence on public opinion are surely long in the past.

That applies across the board. The Daily Mirror currently sells less than a million copies, versus over 5 million copies in the 1960s.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @‌RodC

FPT

No question on the Elgin Marbles

The British Museum bought them from the Earl of Elgin: they are owned by the trust behind the museum.

And the Earl was given them by the Imperial Sultan...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320
    Its a nice gimmick for the Daily Record and their sales are absolutely focussed on the key demographic of less prosperous Labour voters who will decide this thing so I would not underestimate their influence. The fact that Salmond gets his turn tomorrow shows that the paper is aware that their readership is not of one mind in this.

I am going to hear Ruth Davidson in Perth today at a Forces rally. This is another segment which will be strongly no and who will feel rather less shy about being proud of their country than Labour politicians are willing to admit to being when it has a Tory government.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Charles said:

@‌RodC

FPT

The British Museum bought them from the Earl of Elgin: they are owned by the trust behind the museum.

The legal ownership may be as you state, but these are an exceptional piece of greek art, and would be best seen in Athens.

The bicentenial of Greek independence is near, It would be a great anniversary gift.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Then why do other parts of the media (eg the BBC) get so excited when there’s a ludicrous story in, again eg, the Mail?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    If we end up with Little Scotland, what happens to the Great Scone?

It belongs to the UK, so does the UK get to keep 92% of it?
  • Options

The legal ownership may be as you state, but these are an exceptional piece of greek art, and would be best seen in Athens.

The bicentenial of Greek independence is near, It would be a great anniversary gift.

The Parthenon has been used by continentals as an arms dump before, with tragic and irreparable consequences. Who is to say the same would not reoccur if we returned the marbles? Let them be kept safe and sound in London.
  • Options
    I wonder if the pollsters take account of the fall off in newspaper circulation when doing their weighting.

There is some disparity in the fall-off in circulation figures since 2010, the election year.

The Star -37.25%
    Guardian -31.20%
    Daily Record -29.70%
    The Sun -26.37%
    Daily Express -25.82%
    The Times -24.39%
    Daily Telegraph -21.20%
    Daily Mirror -18.56%
    Daily Mail -16.02%

Obviously other factors will be at play, such as online readership, but in essence it would seem that sales, and therefore readership identifiability is down by some 25% .
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Then why do other parts of the media (eg the BBC) get so excited when there’s a ludicrous story in, again eg, the Mail?
    Because for many they have huge numbers of online readers. I haven't bought an actual newspaper for at least 5 years but I read several each day online.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    MattW said:

Give Scotland a few currants:))
  • Options
    We need a decent poll from a decent pollster. Come on ICM or Yougov - get yer fingers out!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FPT, SeanT, I certainly think that the political centre of gravity in rUK would be to the right of where it is in the UK as a whole. But, the loss of one third of the country would make this a very hollow victory, IMO.
  • Options
    Check out the new World Economic Forum international competitiveness rankings. The UK is 9th:

http://reports.weforum.org/global-competitiveness-report-2014-2015/economies/#economy=GBR

A quick look at the UK's spider chart tells us we'd be pretty much the world's most competitive economy but for our sorry public finances - thanks Gordon.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,320
    felix said:

MattW said:

Give Scotland a few currants:))
    We will all be living on dwarf bread if that comes to pass....

• Options

The Parthenon has been used by continentals as an arms dump before, with tragic and irreparable consequences. Who is to say the same would not reoccur if we returned the marbles? Let them be kept safe and sound in London.
    I think it pretty unlikely that the Greeks would turn the acropolis into a military base! They may have been at risk when Greece was being oppressed by the Ottomans, but would not be now.

The marbles should be seen in context, and a new museum to show them would be a great boost to Greek morale.
  • Options

It is doubtful that the perfidious Turks would be allowed to use the Parthenon as a munitions store again, but you never know. Or for the belligerent Venetians to lob a few shells at it.

However there are other arguments for keeping the Marbles here in the UK. We saved them: if they had been left in place, it is unlikely that many would still be there. In the century before Elgin purchased them, many had been removed and burnt to make lime. Worse, the remaining slabs were left in place until the 1990s, exposing them to the weather, acid rain, accidental damage and vandalism.

Removing the marbles actually made Greece understand what they had; they darned well did not care for it before.

More importantly, although the Greeks have made a museum to house the marbles, and care for the Parthenon and Acropolis site, they are not exactly doing a good job of preserving the rest of their ancient history. In particular, the need to prevent the uncontrolled destruction and looting of sites.

The Greeks need to show they care for their rich archaeological heritage besides the tourist-attracting moneypots.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    felix said:

Because for many they have huge numbers of online readers. I haven't bought an actual newspaper for at least 5 years but I read several each day online.
    Quite. I buy a paper on Saturdays, primarily for the comment and magazine sections, but I think that’s as much for old times sake.
    It’s a serious problem though, for the papers though; how to generate an income from us.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,013
    DavidL said:

Its a nice gimmick for the Daily Record and their sales are absolutely focussed on the key demographic of less prosperous Labour voters who will decide this thing so I would not underestimate their influence. The fact that Salmond gets his turn tomorrow shows that the paper is aware that their readership is not of one mind in this.

I am going to hear Ruth Davidson in Perth today at a Forces rally. This is another segment which will be strongly no and who will feel rather less shy about being proud of their country than Labour politicians are willing to admit to being when it has a Tory government.

Yes that is why they are shedding nearly 2000 readers a week
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Thanks to those who posted (somewhat unexpectedly) on the longevity of states on the previous thread. I had to disappear shortly after my last post, hence the lack of replies there.
  • Options

The Greeks need to show they care for their rich archaeological heritage besides the tourist-attracting moneypots.
    Even those can be a bit shabby. I was at the temple of Knossos in May, expecting something grander and better presented than the reality.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The No Campaign summed up in 1 picture
    twitter.com/JamesMcLeary/status/507378637092315136/photo/1
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Knossos does need extensive renovation, but that is hard to justify with Greek finances as they are.

I would like to see the marbles returned, they were saved when at risk under the Ottomans, but that would be different now. Greeks are very proud of their history and I would suggest that part of the gift was an agreement that the money raised by the new museum would go to restoring other architectural sites .

The 200th anniversary of a decisive British led bail out of the Greeks is coming up:

http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/navalbattles1800s/p/narvarino.htm

A good time to help our Greek friends and allies again with a magnanimous gesture!
  • Options
    Better Together Banks ranked at 89th on World List , well below banana republics , money launderers etc
    http://www.cityam.com/1409746217/scottish-independence-fresh-data-could-give-boost-salmonds-plans-keep-pound
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

The Yes campaign is summed up by the idiocy of that cartoon. Project fib indeed!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's noticeable that 12 of the 18 faces on the front of the Daily Record are female (excl. Darling). Fits in with the narrative that women are more likely to vote No.

It is also noticeable that their are no normal people , all BT officials , has been politicians etc.
  • Options
    You could not make it up , can these BT numpties really be so stupid

Jim murphy calls on BBC to call off sinister audience booing his answers
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

It is also noticeable that their are no normal people , all BT officials , has been politicians etc.
    Malcolm, what proportion of your fellow-countrymen do you expect to vote "No"? Do you have any respect, any respect at all, for even a single one of them?
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, they've mooted a Greek F1 race again. I don't see the point. It almost certainly won't happen and if it did it would be a disgrace, considering the nation's finances.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and on thread, I suspect the vast majority of the money spent on betting the IndyRef result is by people in England who don't actually have a vote or will have any involvement in the result. A great many YES voters will have no idea you can bet on political outcomes.

As for the lack of polls, probably has much to do with the fact the vast majority of people in England at best have a slight knowledge that something is happening in Scotland this month and at worst simply couldn't care less. Therefore there is no incentive for the English press to fund expensive polls which wont really interest their readers. Money would be better spent on polling on whether people think Judy Murray will win Strictly!
  • Options
    I believe Kellner has said there will be 3 Yougovs between now and the 18th (ht to Alex on the site which can't be named).
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, good to know. I'm also glad there's not a constant river of polls. Hope that's the case at the General Election but doubt it will be.

On the Sky paper review Daisy McAndrew and Stig Abell[sp] reckoned a Yes meant both a certain Cameron resignation *and* a delay to the 2015 election. Must say I disagree with both (the latter's possible but not certain).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The Yes campaign is summed up by the idiocy of that cartoon. Project fib indeed!
    But zoonies like you applaud the carcitures of Alex Salmond etc all the time as being great.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

OGH clearly smart - a lot of "emotional" money going on this from both sides. Timing is everything. Postal ballots are being posted. Tick Tock....

My postal vote hasn't arrived yet! Most of my friends returned theirs last week.
  • Options

Mr. Foxinsox, they've mooted a Greek F1 race again. I don't see the point. It almost certainly won't happen and if it did it would be a disgrace, considering the nation's finances.

You would have thought they would have learnt the lesson of their Olympics. What should have been a national showcase was a national disaster, and they cannot even agree how much they cost.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/may/09/athens-2004-olympics-athletes-home

In F1 news, I see Renault are calling for the engine freeze to be lifted. Given that Renault-powered cars have won three races this year, they should be told to go away and procreate elsewhere.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

It is doubtful that the perfidious Turks would be allowed to use the Parthenon as a munitions store again, but you never know. Or for the belligerent Venetians to lob a few shells at it.

However there are other arguments for keeping the Marbles here in the UK. We saved them: if they had been left in place, it is unlikely that many would still be there. In the century before Elgin purchased them, many had been removed and burnt to make lime. Worse, the remaining slabs were left in place until the 1990s, exposing them to the weather, acid rain, accidental damage and vandalism.

Removing the marbles actually made Greece understand what they had; they darned well did not care for it before.

More importantly, although the Greeks have made a museum to house the marbles, and care for the Parthenon and Acropolis site, they are not exactly doing a good job of preserving the rest of their ancient history. In particular, the need to prevent the uncontrolled destruction and looting of sites.

Special pleading - "I think I could look after your house better than you do, so I'll take it off you. It's in the interest of the built environment, y'know."

We're not exactly so poor in our own history that we need to keep someone else's - yes, I know the argument that we hold them kind of legally but the reality is perfectly plain: we're sitting on someone else's relics. If we are genuinely worried about the preservation of the Marbles, we can set conditions on their protection and I dare say UNESCO would shell out a bit to help.

• Options

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Malcolm, what proportion of your fellow-countrymen do you expect to vote "No"? Do you have any respect, any respect at all, for even a single one of them?
    For ordinary misguided people who are entitled to their opinion YES, to these lying troughers NO. It si made up of failed politicians, rich business people and BT officials because they have NO normal people to put up.
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, good to know. I'm also glad there's not a constant river of polls. Hope that's the case at the General Election but doubt it will be.

On the Sky paper review Daisy McAndrew and Stig Abell[sp] reckoned a Yes meant both a certain Cameron resignation *and* a delay to the 2015 election. Must say I disagree with both (the latter's possible but not certain).

I imagine Miliband's price for delaying the 2015 poll would be a "grand coalition". (Why would he settle for anything less?) And it would be far too risky for the present coalition partners to do it without Labour consent.

• Options

Special pleading - "I think I could look after your house better than you do, so I'll take it off you. It's in the interest of the built environment, y'know."

We're not exactly so poor in our own history that we need to keep someone else's - yes, I know the argument that we hold them kind of legally but the reality is perfectly plain: we're sitting on someone else's relics. If we are genuinely worried about the preservation of the Marbles, we can set conditions on their protection and I dare say UNESCO would shell out a bit to help.

Come on Nick, that's patently ridiculous.

I look forward for you calling on all British museums to be emptied as items are returned to their origin countries - after all, every piece of art produced abroad is someone else's relic.

We are most certainly not talking about war loot here.

I am not worried about the preservation of the marbles. I'm worried about the rest of Greek archaeology (and don't get me started on the state of Turkish archaeology).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

For ordinary misguided people who are entitled to their opinion YES, to these lying troughers NO. It si made up of failed politicians, rich business people and BT officials because they have NO normal people to put up.

Enter the old Marxist line that people who disagree with you are suffering from "false consciousness". Although the Marxists did maintain that it was nationalism which was a "false consciousness", securing the allegiance of the proletariat and lumpenproletariat to the economic interests of the ruling class.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,168
    edited September 2014
    Holyrood magazine ‏@HolyroodDaily 15 hrs
    STV denies it 'ran away' from Cameron. Invite to take part in programme meeting undecided voters still stands, the broadcaster says

I'm sure Dave will first apologise for any misunderstanding, and then clear a space in his diary.
  • Options

Charles said:

@‌RodC

FPT

You are aware that the Marbles which were left in Athens have rotted from pollution, and the new museum is in a terrible state, meaning that the majority of the pieces are now boxed away and not open to the public?

In London they are cared for and accessible to everyone
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    There's a poll in RedBox (the Times daily online chatterbox) on what the public think of "Western values", following a disagreement that I missed between Cameron (protect them) and Ashdown (don't diss other cultures). The response was a bit meh, as perhaps befits the vague concept. 34% thought the term meaningful and positive, 27% couldn't assign any particular meaning to it, 21% thought it had a meaning but didn't know if they were in favour or against, 7% thought it had a meaning and they were against it, and a mystery 11% said they thought it had "another meaning".
  • Options

Morning all and on thread, I suspect the vast majority of the money spent on betting the IndyRef result is by people in England who don't actually have a vote or will have any involvement in the result. A great many YES voters will have no idea you can bet on political outcomes.

As for the lack of polls, probably has much to do with the fact the vast majority of people in England at best have a slight knowledge that something is happening in Scotland this month and at worst simply couldn't care less. Therefore there is no incentive for the English press to fund expensive polls which wont really interest their readers. Money would be better spent on polling on whether people think Judy Murray will win Strictly!

It is probably true that most of the Betfair money comes from outside Scotland but 100% of Betfair money on US presidential elections comes from outside the US. American punters are barred from the site for fear of upsetting the Feds - something that ultimately did for Intrade. That didn't stop outside punters analysing the data available and (in 2012 at least) calling the result. The major difference is that there was far far more detailed polling data available in the US in 2012 than there is for this campaign. If the market is wrong it's for that reason. You don't risk emotional money on matters where, in your words, you "couldn't care less".

• Options
    BTW, note Nick Palmer's admission below: legal ownership does not, in his mind, matter.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

But zoonies like you applaud the carcitures of Alex Salmond etc all the time as being great.
    I think Alex Salmond is a pompous, blustering windbag who would tell any fib to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish voters in order to win the vote.

But I cannot recall applauding any caricatures!

My mental image of yourself is a cartoon though:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundskeeper_Willie
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

My postal vote hasn't arrived yet! Most of my friends returned theirs last week.
    I fear Mick Pork has eaten it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

But surely you wouldn't disagree with - "I think I could look after your money better than you do, so I'll take it off you. It's in the interest of the broader economy, y'know." ;-)

• Options

There's a poll in RedBox (the Times daily online chatterbox) on what the public think of "Western values", following a disagreement that I missed between Cameron (protect them) and Ashdown (don't diss other cultures). The response was a bit meh, as perhaps befits the vague concept. 34% thought the term meaningful and positive, 27% couldn't assign any particular meaning to it, 21% thought it had a meaning but didn't know if they were in favour or against, 7% thought it had a meaning and they were against it, and a mystery 11% said they thought it had "another meaning".

A more interesting "poll" - if that sort of thing could be dignified with the term - question might be: "do you think the Earth is big enough for both 'Western values' and Islam?"

(FWIW, I don't. Too many Muslims believe that they can only practise their religion in a country Muslims have conquered, which rather stretches our "Western" belief in religious tolerance to the limit, if not beyond.)

• Options
    Patrick said:

Even those can be a bit shabby. I was at the temple of Knossos in May, expecting something grander and better presented than the reality.
    Isn't much of the modern site actually a slightly dodgy "reconstruction" by Sir Arthur Evans and his team?

• Options
    My in-laws had their postal vote, and have voted.

No of course..
  • Options
    For those interested, here's my piece on state survival (a small bit of it's about Scotland and the referendum, so it's veering towards almost being an approximation of on-topic):
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/how-long-can-state-survive.html
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

@‌RodC

FPT

You are aware that the Marbles which were left in Athens have rotted from pollution, and the new museum is in a terrible state, meaning that the majority of the pieces are now boxed away and not open to the public?

I am not disputing legal ownership, and neither as I understand does NP.

The marbles should be returned as a gift to celebrate the Greek bicentennial, with some proper funding to display them well.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

In this case, it's reasonable. The Marbles weren't stolen, and are well cared for. Greece is a basket case, right now.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Enter the old Marxist line that people who disagree with you are suffering from "false consciousness". Although the Marxists did maintain that it was nationalism which was a "false consciousness", securing the allegiance of the proletariat and lumpenproletariat to the economic interests of the ruling class.
    Go and have aeronautical intercourse with a rolling doughnut.
  • Options
    Sausage-Fingers on formatting of last post - Wrong quotes
  • Options

No of course..

No hopers then, cowed and broken with no hope and no vision unable to think for themselves.
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, I hope it turns up soon.

Mr. Jessop, aye, Ferrari and Renault both agreed to the restrictions. It's pathetic bleating.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

@‌RodC

FPT

The marbles should be returned as a gift to celebrate the Greek bicentennial, with some proper funding to display them well.
    I'm sorry, you want to return them for free, but also pay the Greeks to display them?

How long would that last? After all, the Greeks would have us over a barrel: continue paying for the marbles or they'll go into dusty boxes in a basement somewhere.

Utter madness.

Also realise what this would mean for other legally-collected items in our collections.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

No of course..

No hopers then, cowed and broken with no hope and no vision unable to think for themselves.
    They love you too Malcolm.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I think Alex Salmond is a pompous, blustering windbag who would tell any fib to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish voters in order to win the vote.

Personally I think you are an insular Little Englander who is unable to educate himself on the topic and just resorts to insulting Alex Salmond rather than address the topic. You typify the unionist in that you have no interest in Scotland and perfectly show why we are where we are today.
  • Options

I think it pretty unlikely that the Greeks would turn the acropolis into a military base! They may have been at risk when Greece was being oppressed by the Ottomans, but would not be now.

The marbles should be seen in context, and a new museum to show them would be a great boost to Greek morale.
    They have a new museum - a mess - and have not taken care of their existing marbles
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Would that gather moss?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    "As a result of Carswell’s defection, Eurosceptics now have an exit threat. One of them explains: ‘What this means is that when ten of us go in to see the Prime Minister to ask him to give more details on his renegotiation package, he knows that if he doesn’t give us what we want, more of us will defect.’"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9304752/revolt-on-the-right/
  • Options

For those interested, here's my piece on state survival (a small bit of it's about Scotland and the referendum, so it's veering towards almost being an approximation of on-topic):

If you are right in supposing that a "yes" in the referendum means the end of the British identity (I am not convinced) then an unintended consequence will be an identity crisis in our black and brown communities, none of whom see themselves as English (let alone any kind of Celt) but as British.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

No of course..

Hang on, Malcolm, a few minutes ago you said that ordinary NO voters were poor misguided souls. Now you've done an about face and decided you do despise them after all...

• Options
    Morning all,
    Peter Oborne has interesting piece in Telegraph about Cameron's options with UKIP. Once again though a commentator fails to understand that many UKIPers see Tory and Labour as all as bad each other. This is anti-politics, not anti-Cameron.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11072727/David-Cameron-can-chart-a-course-past-Nigel-Farage-the-revolutionary.html
  • Options

If you are right in supposing that a "yes" in the referendum means the end of the British identity (I am not convinced) then an unintended consequence will be an identity crisis in our black and brown communities, none of whom see themselves as English (let alone any kind of Celt) but as British.

Garbage. Many do see themselves as English. Support England and wear England shirts. You might be right that the majority see themselves as British but to say Englishness is rejected by all of them is risible rubbish.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Personally I think you are an insular Little Englander who is unable to educate himself on the topic and just resorts to insulting Alex Salmond rather than address the topic. You typify the unionist in that you have no interest in Scotland and perfectly show why we are where we are today.
    Its a bit like the way you insult everybody who questions Yes whilst gladly supporting Salmond who out-rightly refuses to educate the Scottish electorate about his currency proposals. Talk about insular! ;-)

• Options

A more interesting "poll" - if that sort of thing could be dignified with the term - question might be: "do you think the Earth is big enough for both 'Western values' and Islam?"

(FWIW, I don't. Too many Muslims believe that they can only practise their religion in a country Muslims have conquered, which rather stretches our "Western" belief in religious tolerance to the limit, if not beyond.)

Not a great deal of "Western values" on display on PB on an everyday basis. Wild western values perhaps. Liberalism and tolerance in fairly short supply.
  • Options
    Damning article about Cameron in the Spectator

"Certainly, Cameron’s management of his party’s internal coalition has been appalling. Even before the Carswell defection, one Tory MP had nicknamed him Sir David Peel, a nod to the last leader to split the Tories. One long-serving Tory MP complains that what makes Cameron’s handling of the party so galling is ‘that we can see how he turns on the charm with the Libs, but he just won’t bother with us’. Even one Cameron loyalist bemoans how the Prime Minister has put himself at risk of ‘suffering death from a thousand slights’.

The Cameron leadership failed to grasp that the era of command and control politics was coming to an end. As one more reflective cabinet minister remarks, ‘Cameron became leader in the age of Blair and the pager. But he’s ended up as Prime Minister in the age of Twitter, when everyone is on broadcast — not receive — mode.’

In office, Cameron hasn’t changed. He stands accused of being an incompetent Namierite — an insider who doesn’t know the inside track. For instance, no one in No. 10 fully realised the damage that sacking Owen Paterson — the reforming, right-wing and well respected Environment Secretary — would inflict on Cameron’s relations with various parts of the Conservative family. All of this explains why so many on the right struggle to feel sympathy for Cameron now. A strikingly large number of backbenchers talk with glee about the leadership contest that so many of them expect next summer."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9304712/divide-and-dont-rule/
  • Options

I forget the name of the actress who started the campaign to get our marbles back in the 80s - but it was entirely to do with her political career (she was advised to "own an issue" and selected this one).

I got told a funny story, though, about a visit she made to the British Museum. She threw herelf on the floor in front of a wonderful collection of marbles, expostulating about how it rended her very soul to see them imprisoned in London rather than in Athens.

The Director let her carry on for five of six minutes before gently pointing out that they were Assyrian and the Elgin marbles were in the next room...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Malcolm

"The No Campaign summed up in 1 picture......"

and here's the the YES campaign in one picture.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FD3Rj1yAXK8/UPIS6PCiHYI/AAAAAAAAC6w/Vb7QY30Sk-A/s1600/braveheartrev032.jpg
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Charles said:

Charles said:

@‌RodC

FPT

Return them for a price. A couple of the nicer Dodecanese Islands.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

But surely you wouldn't disagree with - "I think I could look after your money better than you do, so I'll take it off you. It's in the interest of the broader economy, y'know." ;-)

lol - nice riposte. There are actually rather few politicians who don't favour taxation at all...

BTW, note Nick Palmer's admission below: legal ownership does not, in his mind, matter.

That, I fear, is a distortion of what I said. I don't think legal ownership should be used as an excuse if in reality you're sitting on someone else's goods. I'm not suggesting that the Greeks should seize the marbles through an extension of the European Arrest Warrant, merely that we should give them back because it's the right thing to do.

• Options
    Charles said:

I forget the name of the actress who started the campaign to get our marbles back in the 80s - but it was entirely to do with her political career (she was advised to "own an issue" and selected this one).

I got told a funny story, though, about a visit she made to the British Museum. She threw herelf on the floor in front of a wonderful collection of marbles, expostulating about how it rended her very soul to see them imprisoned in London rather than in Athens.

The Director let her carry on for five of six minutes before gently pointing out that they were Assyrian and the Elgin marbles were in the next room...
    You have to wonder whether the British Museum's aim to return many of the Nimrud Ivories to Iraq is in any way a good idea, given the region's history and recent events.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Would that gather moss?
    As it is rolling very unlikely
  • Options
    HanDodges said:

Garbage. Many do see themselves as English. Support England and wear England shirts. You might be right that the majority see themselves as British but to say Englishness is rejected by all of them is risible rubbish.
    I hope you're right. I think, on reflection, that you may well be in respect of the "third generation" who are more often of mixed race (like my son's girlfriend) and who have parents who were educated in this country. So my comment is a good deal less true than it was thirty years ago (when I got hold of the notion). Old age. Oh dear.

• Options

That, I fear, is a distortion of what I said. I don't think legal ownership should be used as an excuse if in reality you're sitting on someone else's goods. I'm not suggesting that the Greeks should seize the marbles through an extension of the European Arrest Warrant, merely that we should give them back because it's the right thing to do.

But if they were legally purchased, then they are not the original person's goods.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Its a bit like the way you insult everybody who questions Yes whilst gladly supporting Salmond who out-rightly refuses to educate the Scottish electorate about his currency proposals. Talk about insular! ;-)

You stupid thick turnip do you ever read posts. I do not support Alex Salmond I support YES. For thick stupid cretins like you, there is a very big difference there.
  • Options
    So a week after the Rotherham report and still no meaningful response from Cameron.

Compare his comment yesturday to those he made in May 2012 about abuse in Rochdale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dfPgnjD7s

They key part is between 26:00 and 26:30.

It would be interesting to know what Cameron and his newly appointed Communities Minister Sayeeda Warsi felt would be the priorities for her department.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

But if they were legally purchased, then they are not the original person's goods.
    There's a strong argument for saying such things are inherently inalienable, and no purchase of them could be legal.

• Options

Very true. It's not like America is going to give Alaska back to Russia after it bought it.
  • Options
    isam said:

Damning article about Cameron in the Spectator

Forsyth misuses the term "Namierite". It does not mean an insider, but an adherent to the thesis of The Structure of Politics at the Accession of George III. In that sense, to be accused of being a Namierite should be regarded as a compliment, not as an insult. That Cameron would nevertheless not be remotely out of place in the Structure of Politics is one of the more depressing things about British public life since Blair.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Would that gather moss?
    Burt a doughnut is not a stone. We all know a rolling stone gathers no moss, but surely the sticky-sugar coating on a doughnut would attract all sort of crud: dirt, pebbles and even moss.

Methinks an experiment is in order. I'll have to buy a variety of doughnuts in Cambridge and roll them down Castle Hill, then categorise everything they've gathered. Although the experiment might be hindered by some of the doughnuts disappearing en route.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

No of course..

Hang on, Malcolm, a few minutes ago you said that ordinary NO voters were poor misguided souls. Now you've done an about face and decided you do despise them after all...

Careful you may end up your own orifice with all your stupid twisting and turning.
    Where did I say I despise anyone perchance. I feel sorry for lots of people who are needy and have to have others make decisions for them but you lying and making up things is beyond the pale but not unexpected.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

There's a strong argument for saying such things are inherently inalienable, and no purchase of them could be legal.

Care to expand on that argument?
  • Options
    Dyedwoolie Monitor Final Sindy prediction.

No 48.7, Yes 51.3

Scotland is an independent nation.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    edited September 2014
    If the Marbles are returned to Greece, what next - the Rosetta stone to Egypt ?

Certain places in the world are simply more stable than others - the British Museum is in London which is basically a world city anyway.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You stupid thick turnip do you ever read posts. I do not support Alex Salmond I support YES. For thick stupid cretins like you, there is a very big difference there.
    So you have never defended Salmond's currency plans, and are perfectly happy to vote Yes without knowing what currency an independent Scotland would use. I think it could be you who is the stupid thick turnip ;-)
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin (@GoodwinMJ)
    04/09/2014 09:05
    Is Ukip beginning to own immigration issue? For the 2nd time this year "other" is the preferred party on immigration pic.twitter.com/DLYK24Am25
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    http://mic.com/articles/76321/9-priceless-artifacts-museums-should-return-to-their-home-countries

Not just an argument I'd apply to British Museum artifacts either - #1 on the list from Babylon - surely much safer in Berlin than Iraq right now !
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Would that gather moss?
    Burt a doughnut is not a stone. We all know a rolling stone gathers no moss, but surely the sticky-sugar coating on a doughnut would attract all sort of crud: dirt, pebbles and even moss.

Methinks an experiment is in order. I'll have to buy a variety of doughnuts in Cambridge and roll them down Castle Hill, then categorise everything they've gathered. Although the experiment might be hindered by some of the doughnuts disappearing en route.

I'll get my coat.
    Stick to testing the doughnut part however , the aeronautical intercourse could be dangerous especially as your testing it at speed going downhill
This discussion has been closed.