Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two weeks to go in Scotland and NO edges up on the exchange

124»

Comments

• Options

Socrates said:

Devastating for Cameron if true. He gets spat in the face with Juncker's appointment, and they don't even bother to give him a big job to make up for it. They haven't even decided on who they want as internal markets, but they have to decided to exclude the Brits. To make it worse, one of the big economic appointments goes to France! Clearly the EU just wants to screw us now and Juncker is getting his revenge.

The "we must stay in for influence" argument goes up in smoke if this goes through. Cameron must be fighting hard to overturn this.
    Hurdle one. Fell over.
    Cam out is becoming critical to the chances of stopping the lefties
    Doesn't the polling show that Cameron is more popular than the Conservative Party as a whole? If so, 'stopping the lefties' surely depends on keeping him in place?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014

<

Not water soldiers.

I have a weakness for having a massive Airborne/Air Assault Division(s)

Edit: Then again The Paras went 50 years without making combat jump

Have the Paras actually made a combat jump since Suez (my late father in law jumped in that and he was a Royal Marine). Small units have, for sure, but not what you would call a proper combat jump. What is more we don't have the capability to drop more than a company sized formation and I read a year or so back that many so-called Paras are no longer even qualified to jump. Not that many years ago one battalion of the three in the Parachute battalion was always in what they called Penguin mode, that is they had to spend a tour operating as ordinary infantry. Now we still have three battalions (though one is for special forces support) and of the other two only one company(ish) is jump capable, at any time. I suggest that the Parachute Regiment was called into being because of a particular set of circumstances, just like the Glider Pilot Regiment. Unlike the Glider Pilot Regiment, the Parachute Regiment has lived on beyond the period for which it was needed.

The Parachute Regiment is an example of the army's problem. Our defence needs have changed and they pretend to offer something that they can't deliver and which we don't need or which could be provided more effectively under a unified command structure elsewhere.

P.S. Don't get me started on Crab Air.
    They did in Afghanistan Dec 2010, The 1st Battalion, as part of a wider Airborne/Air Assault Campaign.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/uk-military-news/281210-paras-jump-into-action.php
    Special Forces Support Group jumped; is that not a 'small unit'?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    So the EU has given us Energy and Climate change. Juncker must have chortled into his brandy when that one was announced.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Pulpstar said:

So the EU has given us Energy and Climate change. Juncker must have chortled into his brandy when that one was announced.

It's not even the main energy post, as he's creating a separate vice-presidency for "Energy union" that our guy will report to.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

TGOHF said:

and it becomes clear that there it is going to be very expensive to set up an independent Scotland.

That's always been obvious to the more intelligent. An independent Defence force would have massive set up costs for example.

The price of energy would likely rise too - no more subsidised power from the south. Easy to disconnect the two grids as well.
    Would the Scottish SAS be going in to rescue this hostage chap ? After the Scottish Mi6 and military intelligence had found his location via their listening post at Scottish GCHQ ?

Recruiting will be fun - "Join the Scottish Army, and see the, well, err, Scotland"

"No thanks, I'll go south, and see the world with the rUK"
    You really are a twunk, thicker than mince
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Pulpstar said:

It hasnt been announced. Not all the commissioners have even been nominated yet.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The No Campaign summed up in 1 picture
    twitter.com/JamesMcLeary/status/507378637092315136/photo/1

The Yes campaign is summed up by the idiocy of that cartoon. Project fib indeed!
    But zoonies like you applaud the carcitures of Alex Salmond etc all the time as being great.
    I think Alex Salmond is a pompous, blustering windbag who would tell any fib to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish voters in order to win the vote.

But I cannot recall applauding any caricatures!

My mental image of yourself is a cartoon though:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundskeeper_Willie
    Personally I think you are an insular Little Englander who is unable to educate himself on the topic and just resorts to insulting Alex Salmond rather than address the topic. You typify the unionist in that you have no interest in Scotland and perfectly show why we are where we are today.
    Its a bit like the way you insult everybody who questions Yes whilst gladly supporting Salmond who out-rightly refuses to educate the Scottish electorate about his currency proposals. Talk about insular! ;-)

You stupid thick turnip do you ever read posts. I do not support Alex Salmond I support YES. For thick stupid cretins like you, there is a very big difference there.
    If you don't support Alex Salmond, do you support the reasons he's giving for a YES vote?
    If not, then he is indeed the leader of the Big Fib.

Edit: (I'll take the thick turnip bit as read, thanks)
    No need as an intelligent post. I do support the reason why we should have independence. Decisions on Scotland should be taken in Scotland by Scottish citizens not by people in London.
    There will be lots of negotiations and other things that need sorted out etc but does not change the basic premise of self determination.
    If the SNP had advanced a case along those lines - instead of their preposterous "don't frighten the horses" strategy I'd have a lot more sympathy for it.

As it is, it's going to end in tears, whatever the result, because the SNP did not trust the courage of the people of Scotland.
    That is what they have been saying , BT and their tame media just not been listening/printing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

People are so wrong misinterpreting this as an insult for Dave, It is a great honour for Dave, remember, Dave's Green agenda (vote Blue, Go Green), Juncker knows this, and that's why he's given the UK this portfolio, a subject matter that is close to Dave's heart.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

You lot trying to play down the mass child rape story are getting desperate. When did I ever say they were guilty?

Accusing me of 'trying to play down ... mass child rape' is an outlandish, and defamatory allegation, but let's put that to one side. You said Aylesbury could be added to the list. Of what? The unavoidable implication was town's where large scale sexual abuse of children had been proven in a court of law, whereas no such thing has been proven in Buckinghamshire.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mr. Away, I quite agree. It's unfair to not say anything about it, only for a Yes win to then lead to the refusal of a currency union. Scottish voters have to go into the polling booth with their eyes open.

But maybe that's just me

BTW its not a veiled threat its likely to be a hard fact . Scotland leaves the UK it will not share a currency with the UK. This needs pointing out before the vote, it would be unfair to not do so.
    I understand the reasons and need for things to be said, but it's like anything else in life, we've all just got yo get on with it after Sept 19 regardless. I'd have liked to have heard more positive encouragement to stay alongside the uncomfortable facts. That's what has been missing for me.

Its not up to the rest of the UK to provide the positive encouragement beyond a polite 'we don't want you to leave' . Its up to the people of Scotland who want to stay to do it. If ,in a marriage , one partner starts to make noises about leaving do you have to shower them with praise and beg for them to stay? -No. You may point out the consequences and say you do not wish a divorce but the bad feeling to be honest comes when one party says it may want to split (not when the other does not shower praises on the partner that is deciding whether to go or not)
    But it's not a marriage, it's a constitutional settlement.
    Anyway, this argument is circular. What's done is done.
    Woolie , they are just too thick. Liek broken records.
    That can spell?

NURTIP!
    Dear Dear how petty and pathetic can you get
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

Pulpstar said:

People are so wrong misinterpreting this as an insult for Dave, It is a great honour for Dave, remember, Dave's Green agenda (vote Blue, Go Green), Juncker knows this, and that's why he's given the UK this portfolio, a subject matter that is close to Dave's heart.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXAhwhsZ9k
  • Options

<

Not water soldiers.

Have the Paras actually made a combat jump since Suez (my late father in law jumped in that and he was a Royal Marine). Small units have, for sure, but not what you would call a proper combat jump. What is more we don't have the capability to drop more than a company sized formation and I read a year or so back that many so-called Paras are no longer even qualified to jump. Not that many years ago one battalion of the three in the Parachute battalion was always in what they called Penguin mode, that is they had to spend a tour operating as ordinary infantry. Now we still have three battalions (though one is for special forces support) and of the other two only one company(ish) is jump capable, at any time. I suggest that the Parachute Regiment was called into being because of a particular set of circumstances, just like the Glider Pilot Regiment. Unlike the Glider Pilot Regiment, the Parachute Regiment has lived on beyond the period for which it was needed.

The Parachute Regiment is an example of the army's problem. Our defence needs have changed and they pretend to offer something that they can't deliver and which we don't need or which could be provided more effectively under a unified command structure elsewhere.

They did in Afghanistan Dec 2010, The 1st Battalion, as part of a wider Airborne/Air Assault Campaign.

http://www.eliteukforces.info/uk-military-news/281210-paras-jump-into-action.php
    I read it as Battalion sized contribution, if I recall, a Battalion has around 600-1,000 soldiers.

Happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I think it is pretty clear that Eck's plan is a dollarised pound for a few years until Scotland joins he Euro in return for EU membership.

Would Scotland still be able to have their own notes in a dollarised pound?
    They could print them for internal use I suppose - but they wouldn't be legal tender in rUk.

Possibility but far easier to tie to the pound and more likely.

Through which you confirm that you have voted Yes on the basis of possibilities.

Turnip head , life is a possibilty. I have voted for what I believe to be best, who knows what will happen , it is called life.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Devastating for Cameron if true. He gets spat in the face with Juncker's appointment, and they don't even bother to give him a big job to make up for it. They haven't even decided on who they want as internal markets, but they have to decided to exclude the Brits. To make it worse, one of the big economic appointments goes to France! Clearly the EU just wants to screw us now and Juncker is getting his revenge.

The "we must stay in for influence" argument goes up in smoke if this goes through. Cameron must be fighting hard to overturn this.
    What this refutes is the idea that the British can get what they want by being generally grumpy and passive-aggressive.

That said, it was a bit weird to expect a non-Euro member to get a big economic post, and the UK had the foreign portfolio recently, so apart from EUCO president it's not obvious what bigger job they could have got. Not to mention the fact that while other countries nominate top-tier politicians, and sometimes actual Prime Ministers, Cameron picked a lobbyist who even most of us political nerds hadn't heard of.
    Given that the idea that the British can get what they want by being conciliatory (banging on about being at "the heart of Europe", getting rid of referendums and handing over half our rebate) was refuted during the Blair years, I guess we're left to conclude that we won't ever get what we want in the EU. It's a bastardised organisation where we're screwed whatever we do. We're better off just doing our own thing and signing deals with the rest of the world, while we still have friends.

There's about half a dozen big jobs in Europe and we didn't get any of them - they even scrapped one of the posts rather than give it to us. Given that the Finns continued to retain one of the big economic jobs, the "had the foreign position recently" excuse is a complete canard. We also need to look at having an agricultural commissioner that will fight reform to the CAP, a foreign affairs commissioner that fawns over Russia, and a geostrategy commissioner who is outside NATO. Oh, and they created a new position for the Latvian to oversee the Brit.

If the conservatives want to know why they are losing voters, activists and MPs to UKIP, here's a crystal clear example. They need to do something about the EU, and if Cameron isn't willing to do that, they need a leader who will. Until then, they're causing their own decline.
  • Options
    Neil said:

I read a quite recently that De Valera described the achievements of (and participants in) the early Free State governments as "magnificent". That he didnt immediately realise that this was a damning indictment of his own past positions and actions and resign says something about his self-image.

As soon as he accepted, after O'Higgins' murder in 1927, that the oath of allegiance was merely a form of words, he should never have been taken seriously again. That he was still in public office in the 1970s is astonishing.
  • Options

Here is a comment that a senior council member passed by me. Salmond needs to win not 1 but 2 votes. Say the referendum is 51% Yes and Salmond starts trying to negotiate independence. The UK Government go No you dont get to use the pound, EU says you need to use the Euro and it becomes clear that there it is going to be very expensive to set up an independent Scotland. In May we have a new Scottish election and the SNP get thrown out. Labour then suggests a new referendum based on what the reality would be which is rejected.
    This is within the 1 year before Scotland becomes independent.

Ha Ha Ha , what a turnip, obviously some thick Labour dumpling you were talking to , two losers swapping fairy tales.
  • Options

Socrates said:

You lot trying to play down the mass child rape story are getting desperate. When did I ever say they were guilty?

Accusing me of 'trying to play down ... mass child rape' is an outlandish, and defamatory allegation, but let's put that to one side. You said Aylesbury could be added to the list. Of what? The unavoidable implication was town's where large scale sexual abuse of children had been proven in a court of law, whereas no such thing has been proven in Buckinghamshire.
    I overstepped a line in frustration and I apologise. I retract the accusation.

"Added to the list" just meant "towns where the model of Muslim-background men raping serially raping young girls" is being investigated. That is all.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

<

Not water soldiers.

I read it as Battalion sized contribution, if I recall, a Battalion has around 600-1,000 soldiers.

Happy to be corrected.
    There were about 100 soldiers dropped, Mr. Eagles. Less than a company.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@AlanRoden: Some #indyref figures from campaign sources: Yes claim they can get 55%. Better Together claim postal vote canvasses are currently 67% No.

LOL, great source there turnip head
    To be fair postal voters are likely to be older and therefore swing more to no.
    Yes but the source is a numpty and it was retweeted by our resident numpty. I would not be betting my life on it for sure.
  • Options

and it becomes clear that there it is going to be very expensive to set up an independent Scotland.

That's always been obvious to the more intelligent. An independent Defence force would have massive set up costs for example.

The price of energy would likely rise too - no more subsidised power from the south. Easy to disconnect the two grids as well.
    LOL LOL LOL
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I think it is pretty clear that Eck's plan is a dollarised pound for a few years until Scotland joins he Euro in return for EU membership.

They could print them for internal use I suppose - but they wouldn't be legal tender in rUk.

Through which you confirm that you have voted Yes on the basis of possibilities.

Turnip head , life is a possibilty. I have voted for what I believe to be best, who knows what will happen , it is called life.
    Taking a gamble on the safety and security of your old age pension.

That takes McCullions.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

@AlanRoden: Some #indyref figures from campaign sources: Yes claim they can get 55%. Better Together claim postal vote canvasses are currently 67% No.

LOL, great source there turnip head
    To be fair postal voters are likely to be older and therefore swing more to no.

Given the education system I suppose only the older voters are able to read and write. The younger ones will just make their X mark on the day.
    Look what has crawled out from under its rock
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

"Added to the list" just meant "towns where the model of Muslim-background men raping serially raping young girls" is being investigated. That is all.
    Even that's inaccurate, if you read our own link.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Vikram Singh very likely and Jerome Joe possibly aren't Muslims.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

That he was still in public office in the 1970s is astonishing.

He came within 10,000 (about 1% of those who turned out) votes of a humiliating defeat when he went for re-election as President in 1966.
  • Options
    If you want to put a company of infantry on an enemy held bit of land (but over which you have air supremacy) the options these days are:
    1. Fly two big slow Hercules transports over and drop in the Paras by parachute.
    2. Fly in three slow but potentially very low flying Chinooks and drop who you like.
    In each case 'prep' the DZ and support with close air support aircraft (Apache).
    In the Chinook case you can also extract troops / casualties.

There just aren't missions any more that a paratroop drop can accomplish that can't be done better with helicopters. The invention of the helicopter kind of blew away the whole point of paratroops. 'Airborne' means 'Heliborne' these days.
  • Options

BTW, note Nick Palmer's admission below: legal ownership does not, in his mind, matter.

I expect that if Miliband wins in 2015 there will be some sort of Cyprus style raid of private deposit accounts, justified using the same sort of airy language.
  • Options

Here is a comment that a senior council member passed by me. Salmond needs to win not 1 but 2 votes. Say the referendum is 51% Yes and Salmond starts trying to negotiate independence. The UK Government go No you dont get to use the pound, EU says you need to use the Euro and it becomes clear that there it is going to be very expensive to set up an independent Scotland. In May we have a new Scottish election and the SNP get thrown out. Labour then suggests a new referendum based on what the reality would be which is rejected.

What happens if the Scottish people don't like they deal they can get? Well the answer would seem to be from both sides, tough, live with it.
    "Ooh, we've changed our minds, can we stay after all?"

I can imagine the response.

You do not have the brains to imagine anything. I seriously doubt you could tie your own shoe laces.
  • Options

<

Not water soldiers.

Happy to be corrected.
    There were about 100 soldiers dropped, Mr. Eagles. Less than a company.
    So it doesn't count then? yay, I can keep on winding up the Paras then.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The No Campaign summed up in 1 picture
    twitter.com/JamesMcLeary/status/507378637092315136/photo/1

The Yes campaign is summed up by the idiocy of that cartoon. Project fib indeed!
    But zoonies like you applaud the carcitures of Alex Salmond etc all the time as being great.
    I think Alex Salmond is a pompous, blustering windbag who would tell any fib to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish voters in order to win the vote.

But I cannot recall applauding any caricatures!

My mental image of yourself is a cartoon though:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundskeeper_Willie
    Personally I think you are an insular Little Englander who is unable to educate himself on the topic and just resorts to insulting Alex Salmond rather than address the topic. You typify the unionist in that you have no interest in Scotland and perfectly show why we are where we are today.
    Its a bit like the way you insult everybody who questions Yes whilst gladly supporting Salmond who out-rightly refuses to educate the Scottish electorate about his currency proposals. Talk about insular! ;-)

You stupid thick turnip do you ever read posts. I do not support Alex Salmond I support YES. For thick stupid cretins like you, there is a very big difference there.
    If you don't support Alex Salmond, do you support the reasons he's giving for a YES vote?
    If not, then he is indeed the leader of the Big Fib.

Edit: (I'll take the thick turnip bit as read, thanks)
    No need as an intelligent post. I do support the reason why we should have independence. Decisions on Scotland should be taken in Scotland by Scottish citizens not by people in London.
    There will be lots of negotiations and other things that need sorted out etc but does not change the basic premise of self determination.
    Malcolm - but I'm a dyed in the wool, lifelong, Tory Unionist with 25% Scots' genes. I may not be a thick turnip but can I at least have the honour of being a stupid, misguided cretin?
    I may be tempted given the garbage the usual sub cretins are posting on here
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Thanks for the retraction. Perhaps you could have made the fact that we were merely dealing with allegations, rather than anything else, clearer. From reading the BBC article you linked to, I'm not sure on what you're basing the claim that the defendants in the Aylesbury case are from a 'Muslim-background' either.
  • Options

Some people are terribly badly informed. The reality is that:

"Both Scotland and Wales are net exporters of electricity, with England importing electricity from both countries and from continental Europe"

England's electricity is much more likely to rise in price than Scotland's, following independence. It's not like Scotland won't have any cards to play in the Independence negotiations.
    Net exporters, yes, but how does the unit cost compare to that of power generated in England.
    You thicko , why do you think you import it , because you cannot generate it. DOH.
  • Options

If the independence deal is looking bad for the Scots post the independence vote, then Labour might takeover as the Scottish Government before it is implemented.

Then they could put the terms of independence to a referendum. The referendum question could be to accept the independence terms or to stay in the UK.

It would be like referendums about EU membership and terms. Countries keep being asked to vote until they produce the answer the establishment seeks.

sub cretin heads below recordable thickness scale
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Would the Scottish SAS be going in to rescue this hostage chap ? After the Scottish Mi6 and military intelligence had found his location via their listening post at Scottish GCHQ ?

Despite your puerile sneering I think you will find that many of the SAS have been Scottish throughout the years and were in fact invented by them.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

What happens if the Scottish people don't like they deal they can get? Well the answer would seem to be from both sides, tough, live with it.
    "Ooh, we've changed our minds, can we stay after all?"

I can imagine the response.

You do not have the brains to imagine anything. I seriously doubt you could tie your own shoe laces.
    Imagination is what one needs by the bucket load to believe many of Salmond's claims.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

BTW, note Nick Palmer's admission below: legal ownership does not, in his mind, matter.

That, I fear, is a distortion of what I said. I don't think legal ownership should be used as an excuse if in reality you're sitting on someone else's goods. I'm not suggesting that the Greeks should seize the marbles through an extension of the European Arrest Warrant, merely that we should give them back because it's the right thing to do.

But if they were legally purchased, then they are not the original person's goods.
    The legal purchase was from Elgin's Estate to the British Museum.

Elgin's acquisition was based on a letter (it was more than that, closer to a warrant, but I forget the precise Turkish term) from the Sultan permitting him to remove "some" marbles from Athens as a gift.
    Firman, is the term you want maybe?

That the one - I looked it up afterwards, but couldn't be bothered to post.

Having read the firman though (or at least the English translation of the Italian translation that is all that exists) most of it is about access to the site and the drawing of the marbles, with the throw away line about "no one will get in their way if they decide to remove any stones from the site"

It looks like Elgin aggressively interpreted his mandate!
    Ergo I was correct
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , what a turnip, obviously some thick Labour dumpling you were talking to , two losers swapping fairy tales.
    Well Malcolm. I would suggest you are the loser as all you have in your life is posting on this website. You think you are a true Scot but in the end you are a pawn in a game who is only a legend in his own lunchtime. Unlike you I have my own clan of loyal Scots who over the last 15 years have built up their own wee bit of glen to make something they can be proud of. As all true Scots our clan is way more important than our sense of being Scots or British.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I have just realised that TURNIP isn't an insult but an acronym.

Traditional
    Unionist
    Rational
    No-nonsense
    Intelligent
    Person

Thanks Malcolm! ;-)
  • Options

Some people are terribly badly informed. The reality is that:

"Both Scotland and Wales are net exporters of electricity, with England importing electricity from both countries and from continental Europe"

England's electricity is much more likely to rise in price than Scotland's, following independence. It's not like Scotland won't have any cards to play in the Independence negotiations.
    Net exporters, yes, but how does the unit cost compare to that of power generated in England.
    In your previous post you advocated cutting off the grid between England and Scotland, an action that would lead to the collapse of electricity supply in England.

You did this because you were hilariously badly informed about the realities of the electricity market, so why don't you go and find out about the differences in unit costs and find out what the true answer is rather than just making things up that might or might not be true?
    Private Eye ran an interesting article on this very topic a few weeks ago; why not find, and read it yourself and broaden your own knowledge?
    I have linked to official government figures and you waffle vaguely about an article in Private Eye.

Is that all you have?
    He is a turnip, he would not understand anything outside a comic book.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Juncker confirming what his office said a couple months back. He "owes nothing" to the UK:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-elections-2014/juncker-owes-cameron-nothing-over-top-jobs-303542

If the EU owes nothing to us, isn't it about time we stopped subsidising them? I don't really feel happy paying the salary for a French competition commissioner to further protect the French farmers we subsidise from competition...

Projecting their power as ever , ooops we have been chased again. Vacancy for bum wiper is open.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Socrates said:

Juncker has also created a new position of "Vice-President for energy union", so the British commissioner for energy won't even have autonomy, and will report to the former Latvian PM who has got this position:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/exclusive-juncker-team-revealed-308203

He really is intent on sidelining us.

By acting like a stroppy teenager; stomping about and slamming doors screaming "I hate you" I think we sidelined ourselves.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Socrates said:

Juncker confirming what his office said a couple months back. He "owes nothing" to the UK:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-elections-2014/juncker-owes-cameron-nothing-over-top-jobs-303542

If the EU owes nothing to us, isn't it about time we stopped subsidising them? I don't really feel happy paying the salary for a French competition commissioner to further protect the French farmers we subsidise from competition...

Projecting their power as ever , ooops we have been chased again. Vacancy for bum wiper is open.
    Here's an applicant.

http://bellacaledonia.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/baerlzicmaamob4.jpg
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Gadfly said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Taking a gamble on the safety and security of your old age pension.

That takes McCullions.
    Mine need a wheelbarrow
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Well Malcolm. I would suggest you are the loser as all you have in your life is posting on this website. You think you are a true Scot but in the end you are a pawn in a game who is only a legend in his own lunchtime. Unlike you I have my own clan of loyal Scots who over the last 15 years have built up their own wee bit of glen to make something they can be proud of. As all true Scots our clan is way more important than our sense of being Scots or British.
    Dear Dear, grow up and get into this century.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    New thread
  • Options
    Patrick said:

If you want to put a company of infantry on an enemy held bit of land (but over which you have air supremacy) the options these days are:
    1. Fly two big slow Hercules transports over and drop in the Paras by parachute.
    2. Fly in three slow but potentially very low flying Chinooks and drop who you like.
    In each case 'prep' the DZ and support with close air support aircraft (Apache).
    In the Chinook case you can also extract troops / casualties.

There just aren't missions any more that a paratroop drop can accomplish that can't be done better with helicopters. The invention of the helicopter kind of blew away the whole point of paratroops. 'Airborne' means 'Heliborne' these days.

Not entirely the case. Helicopters have their limitations in that they are noisy and susceptible to missiles. This has unfortunately been shown time and time again in Afghanistan and more recently in Ukraine. Paras doing either a conventional high level drop or a HALO drop might be susceptible to ground fire if there were any troops in the area but would not be a target for missiles.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    http://news.stv.tv/scotland/290908-stuart-mackenzie-threw-eggs-at-labour-mp-jim-murphy-in-kirkcaldy/

Not exactly masterminded by Yes Scotland, was it? Or egged on by them?
This discussion has been closed.