Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the latest YouGov IndyRef poll is right then the outcome

124»

Comments

• Andrew Marr:

On the other hand, wandering around Edinburgh, I was reminded that Scotland is really dominated by a regiment of small, stern-faced, grey-haired ladies. They have fierce Presbyterian views, hats, walk at great speed, and regard all politics as ‘damn nonsense’. When they finally take over the country, I tell you, it’s going to be a very different place.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/diary/9298272/andrew-marrs-diary-seeing-shadows-of-syria-in-limousins-ghost-village/
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Neil said:

If Scotland goes, our union flag becomes irrelevant.

Wont anyone think of the flag?!
    Actually I suspect we will keep the flag. We didn't change it when the Irish left, we won't change it now. We like it too much.
    That's the St. Patrick's cross. There is still a decent sized chunk of Ireland in the UK, making it justifiable. It is also used occassionally now (unofficially) by itself to represent Northern Ireland.

Scotland will secede in its entirety. That will make all the "blue" in the flag completely redundant (indeed, to continue to use the flag in its current form would almost be to invite ridicule) as it won't mean anything any more.

We'll still use it, for a while of course. But it'll be a bit of joke.
    But the blue on the Union Flag is a different shade from that used on the Saltire!

Pantone 280 as opposed to 300.
    I didn't think there was an official color for the Saltire, just a recommendation?
    The Union flag is not changing, whatever the Scots decide:

However, the College of Arms has told ITV News that there are no plans to change the Union Flag if Scotland becomes an independent state.

The authority for official flags for the UK and the Commonwealth said the Queen would remain the head of state in an independent Scotland, and therefore the Union Flag would not be affected.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-11-26/no-plans-to-change-union-flag/
    Does the Queen get a vote?
    Nope.

Something you may, or may not, find amusing:

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/youll-only-understand-jokes-youre-3711371
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,749

Sweet baby Jesus, rumour has it Falcao has failed his medical at Man U, which means the Welbeck deal is also off.

What?

Oh .. football.

• Leader ratings (net)
    Last August rating:
    Cameron/Miliband

2014: -12 / -46
    2013: -19 / -39
    2012: -26 / -28
    2011: -10 / -23
    2010: +27 / +20 (Miliband end September)

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/mkx2s70nst/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Leaders-Approval-290814.pdf
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

OT. Southampton hospital coming out of the Newsnight discussion very badly this evening. Claims that they knew the battery was not going to run down as was claimed, also that they knew the parents were not happy with the treatment and wanted to try the alternative. A complete breakdown in the hospital/parent relationship and claims of spite and misinformation given by the hospital after the by was taken.

The expert on medical ethics saying it is ridiculous that the parents are being charged with Child Cruelty and the only cruelty is the boy being kept away from his parents in Spain.

Not good at all.

I cant believe people are sticking up for the state

Watching the parents being pushed into a police car almost in tears "We just want the best for Ashya"... heartbreaking
    Not sticking up for the state. Sticking up for the professional obligation to consider the best interests of the child, and for this opinion on the best interests of the child to be put to an independent assessment by the legal system. Big difference.
    A position that is pretty much in tatters after this evening's comments on Newsnight. I am not sure the comments could have been any more scathing.
    Sometimes following legal and ethical obligations is unpopular.
    Did the hospital apply for guardianship ? If so I'm not sure the correct legal route has been followed.
    If so then they should return, and dispute it in court.
    They only applied after the boy had left with his parents

Just as "Yes Scotland shop Burnt Down" (in truth, wheely bin set alight outside empty shop with Yes posters on it, no damage to shop or posters) "Better Together supporter in unprovoked attack on pregnant woman" has proved to not be quite the full story.

Watch the video and decide for yourself.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29020575

On blackberry, so can't watch it. What happens?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited September 2014
    Charles said:

Just as "Yes Scotland shop Burnt Down" (in truth, wheely bin set alight outside empty shop with Yes posters on it, no damage to shop or posters) "Better Together supporter in unprovoked attack on pregnant woman" has proved to not be quite the full story.

Chap on soapbox (or irn bru crates) with megaphone talking to crowd with Yes supporters barracking him - someone tries to grab megaphone from him and he kicks out to defend himself and or megaphone - don't actually see where blow lands - but given he's standing on crates, quite possible it hit middle rather than shins - couple of minutes later someone seen lying on ground. Looks like a bad tempered affair all round.

What ever it was, it was not an "unprovoked attack on a pregnant woman" as some claimed at the time.

Charles said:

Chap on soapbox (or irn bru crates) with megaphone talking to crowd with Yes supporters barracking him - someone tries to grab megaphone from him and he kicks out to defend himself and or megaphone - don't actually see where blow lands - but given he's standing on crates, quite possible it hit middle rather than shins - couple of minutes later someone seen lying on ground. Looks like a bad tempered affair all round.

What ever it was, it was not an "unprovoked attack on a pregnant woman" as some claimed at the time.
    Which would explain why the original story had those 4 rather odd photos rather than a video.

I suspect she may have been struck during the dtruggle and then decided to lie down later to try and make it look worse than it was
  • Charles said:

Charles said:

Which would explain why the original story had those 4 rather odd photos rather than a video.

I suspect she may have been struck during the dtruggle and then decided to lie down later to try and make it look worse than it was
    What ever happened I trust she is unhurt. Certainly the ambulance that was called was cancelled so it looks like there is no medical corroboration of what injuries, if any, she received.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249

Charles said:

Charles said:

What ever happened I trust she is unhurt. Certainly the ambulance that was called was cancelled so it looks like there is no medical corroboration of what injuries, if any, she received.
    On the video at least it looks more like a shove with the leg than a kick in an attempt to stop her taking his magaphone. What the video shows once again is how hard it is to actually seek to put the Unionist case in the street. It is simply not allowed to be heard.
  • Go Scotland!
  • twidtwid Posts: 14
    Carnyx said:

Postpone the UKGE by one year, and you have the recommended Indy Day just 6 weeks and one day before the new May 2016 date. Not a coincidence, I think.

It would be a very neat solution. The only alternative I can see is speeding up the independence negotiations drastically (i.e., completing them in less than six months, which is what Czechoslovakia did).

Does any bookies take bets on Scottish independence happening *before* the next UK GE, but not specifying whether this would be due to a postponement of the GE?
  • It's hard to see Ukip as anything else than an Establishment party after the manner in which poor Roger Lord has been treated.No wonder he resigns.
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/politics-old/essex_ukip_county_councillor_roger_lord_resigns_after_being_deselected_as_clacton_election_candidate_1_3755662
This discussion has been closed.