Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Boris is serious about helping his party he’d seek to be

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:

The government trying to scare us all to death once again with these silly terror alerts. The main effect of them will probably be a more vigorous manhandling from airport security staff.

I'm not so sure Andy. An acquaintance of mine, posting on a cricket site where bag searches were being discussed, opined that security services were "confidently" expecting a 7/7 type atrocity "soon". And, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Another post somewhere else would be triangulation.

Mr YOkel, what say you?
  • Options

SeanT said:

To Do list found in Rotherham

1 Buy detergent
    2 Rape kids
    3 Go to Syria (behead infidel?)
    4 Force marriage
    5 Order pizza
    6 Honour kill sister?
    7 Put wife in burqa (check for FGM!)
    8 Bins

You missed:

Sign on
    And:
    Vote Labour

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Breaking my sabbatical briefly because I owe Mark Senior some money. When he's next around, could someone get him to let me know how he would like payment?

Welcome (briefly?) back!

How should he get in touch with you?

[Oh, and what was the bet?]
    It was about the nature of the first defection in this parliament. Douglas Carswell hasn't just let the Conservatives down, far more shockingly he's let me down (I'd been counting on a Lib Dem to Labour defection first).

Vanilla is probably the best way for Mark Senior to contact me - I've changed email address since the bet was set up. I'll be watching out for the next few days.
    Hi antifrank . I will of course accept payment though I must confess that I thought that our bet only was valid between the 3 major parties and I do not consider that a defector to UKIP meets that condition .
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @SeanT

"I'm going to try and think about something else. Maybe gin"

That's the idea, though I'd lay of the gin as it can be a depressive for some people.

Champagne is the stuff if you are feeling pissed off, either the original or, better value, go for the British stuff. AlanBrooke will say Nyetimber (but he is an Ulsterman), I say RidgeView, take your pick and let us know what you think.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

The government trying to scare us all to death once again with these silly terror alerts. The main effect of them will probably be a more vigorous manhandling from airport security staff.

I'm not so sure Andy. An acquaintance of mine, posting on a cricket site where bag searches were being discussed, opined that security services were "confidently" expecting a 7/7 type atrocity "soon". And, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Mr YOkel, what say you?
    The public won't tolerate another major terrorist attack. Those judged to have facilitated such a state of affairs will be cast into outer darkness by the electorate.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    MikeK said:

I thought this is an interesting point of view from another Kipper.
    Below is a post by Helen J
    Blogging on
    http://www.coffeehousewall.co.uk/the-coffee-house-wall-25th31st-august/#comment-144433

I have to say one has to be careful with high-profile defections because of the Trojan Horse.
    What if Carswell stabs Farage in the back at some point?

It was quite clear during the European elections that UKIP had been infiltrated by lots of these who timed their exits with maximum media timing damage. There was a very memorable youth member (Asian girl) who did just that.

Big Media have ignored UKIP since that victory (they either smear or ignore).
    But now Big Media write it up as Carswell’s story. He won’t have lost all his links to the establishment. Watch out with that. Drink with the devil, then take a long spoon.
    Rather than being Carswell’s story, this is the story of the people of Essex and elsewhere.
    Carswell’s ‘man of principle’ charade doesn’t fool me. No politician is ever a man of principle and if they say so, run a mile.

Carswell knows what side his bread is buttered on. And where the voters are headed. He did not want to lose his seat to UKIP.
    And he would have.

I have a relative in Essex who runs a breakdown recovery firm. He reports that everybody who gets in the cab when the vehicle is being towed plans to vote UKIP at the next election.
    I know chatter in a breakdown truck cab is only a straw poll, but look at the European election results there.

UKIP were on course to win. Carswell or not.
    The fear is that if, at any point, Carswell exits, the media will write it up as: ‘Ah, look, you’ve lost your star turn. End of UKIP.’

The people were already on the march in Essex and Carswell didn’t want to get left behind.
    Forget all the tat you read about him being ‘intellectual’ and a ‘man of principle’.
    No. This was a case of running with the herd for fear of being left behind.

I’m not keen on ex-this and ex-that going into UKIP but just look at the level of smears thrown at the party by the Daily Mail and Telegraph in those European elections.
    They do need someone to take that flak.
    Other than that, isn’t it nice to know the end of LibLabCon cartel is on its way.
    That’s the good part. But I don’t want the people to stop now and defer to people like Carswell.

I want them to keep on marching.
    I want LibLabCon wiped out.
    Forever.

I had Helens permission to publish the above on PB

Do not decry "chatter in a breakdown truck".It is bound to have more scientific basis than most of the snake-oil peddled here.

I'm a little surprised you haven't "come out" for Roger Lord,the genuine Ukip candidate.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Breaking my sabbatical briefly because I owe Mark Senior some money. When he's next around, could someone get him to let me know how he would like payment?

Welcome (briefly?) back!

It was about the nature of the first defection in this parliament. Douglas Carswell hasn't just let the Conservatives down, far more shockingly he's let me down (I'd been counting on a Lib Dem to Labour defection first).

Vanilla is probably the best way for Mark Senior to contact me - I've changed email address since the bet was set up. I'll be watching out for the next few days.
    Hi antifrank . I will of course accept payment though I must confess that I thought that our bet only was valid between the 3 major parties and I do not consider that a defector to UKIP meets that condition .
    It's that long I can't remember the exact terms and I don't currently have access to my records (I'm in exotic Belfast right now). Can you fish out the exact terms of the bet? I confess I thought I'd now lost!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2014

AndyJS said:

Mr YOkel, what say you?
    We host the NATO conference next week, although that was never really Al-Qaeda's sort of target.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875

@SeanT

That's the idea, though I'd lay of the gin as it can be a depressive for some people.

oh I dunno....

My favourite Martini bar has some wonderful sayings about the magical powers of a Dry Martini, the truest of which is:

One is just right
    Two is too many
    Three not enough!

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Welcome (briefly?) back!

It's that long I can't remember the exact terms and I don't currently have access to my records (I'm in exotic Belfast right now). Can you fish out the exact terms of the bet? I confess I thought I'd now lost!
    I no longer have the original Email but I am sure the wording was defections between the major parties . There may have been some dispute if the SNP or Plaid became involved but I am sure we did not consider UKIP to be a major party at the time .
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The big story today is surely the remarkable turnaround in the Tories fortunes in the latest Populus VI poll - not that you'd notice from the insignificant attention it receives on this site - no sign of the flashy multi-coloured bar charts it would seem when the Blues score a big hit, these are clearly reserved for Labour and even occasionally UKIP triumphs.
    In the course of just 4 days the Tories have turned a 6% Labour lead into a 1% lead in their favour and yes I'm aware that we have to take account of margins of error, etc but I personally rate this as being a much bigger story than the rather silly and hugely unlikely prospect of Boris standing in the Clacton by-election.

But Mike has to back up his op ed in City AM that this is a disaster for Cameron.

It's not.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@SeanT

Champagne is the stuff if you are feeling pissed off, either the original or, better value, go for the British stuff. AlanBrooke will say Nyetimber (but he is an Ulsterman), I say RidgeView, take your pick and let us know what you think.

I like English sparkling wine. I had some pretty good Cornish *champagne* last month, and some excellent Home Counties stuff the month before that.

At its best it is just as good as the nice stuff from France or Spain: we are finally getting the hang of at least one kind of wine.

However the idea it is "better value" is a bit bonkers? Good UK bubbly is pricey.
    No, it really isn't. Get a bottle of RidgeView (they knock it out for about £25 a bottle for the ordinary stuff) and compare it to a bottle of the Frog stuff of the same style on sale at the same sort of price. I guarantee RidgeView will come out on top in a blind tasting. Good Brit Fizz is superb value for money.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    A parade of potential 2016 GOP presidential hopefuls will be on display at an influential conservative group's annual summit.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence are appearing Friday at a gathering of Americans for Prosperity in Dallas.
    Perry's favorability outside Texas has climbed since his indictment on two felony counts of abuse of power. Paul, meanwhile, has hired staff in Iowa, which opens presidential voting.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/feedarticle/11513317
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    SeanT said:

@SeanT

"As for prosecutions and inquiries, the Blob will fiercely resist this, and they might succeed. It depends whether more crimes, of a similar kind, come to light - in which case public outrage will overwhelm all obstacles."

Don't be so silly. No politician local or national, nor any senior plod will ever be charged with any offence in relation the the Rotherham scandal or any like it anywhere else. The allegations already in the public domain are enough for such people to be suspended even arrested, but it hasn't happened. The reason why so many people want a full, independent, judge-led enquiry is to make so nobody in senior positions of authority, let alone a politician, is ever held to account.

I fear you are right. Eternally depressing.

If I was Scottish I'd vote YES just because of this. England is diseased.

Not sure a UK story has ever astonished and dismayed me like this. 1400 raped, abused and tortured kids - and that's the "tip of the iceberg"??!

And no one will carry the can. Ever.

I'm going to try and think about something else. Maybe gin.

Personally it's still an improvement. What's effectively happened over the last 14 (30 really) years is a segment of the population were thrown out of the lifeboat by the political class with them having one foot in the boat and the other foot on the head of the people in the water making sure they drown. People from those kind of areas only ever expect sh*te anyway so that's that but the most annoying bit was everyone else in the boat applauding because they'd been told the person being drowned had done something wrong.

• Options
    O?T

I have just been down stairs to check out the tantalising and superb smells coming from the kitchen. Herself is cooking sausages for our evening meal. Sausages on a Friday! Its either the end of civilisation as we know it or her convent school education is finally beginning to wear off.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Welcome (briefly?) back!

I no longer have the original Email but I am sure the wording was defections between the major parties . There may have been some dispute if the SNP or Plaid became involved but I am sure we did not consider UKIP to be a major party at the time .
    I shall check my records when I'm home - but that will not now be for a month, I'm afraid. Thanks for making contact so quickly.

I hope everyone enjoys what is obviously going to be a very quiet political month of September.
  • Options
    What's the betting that the Enhanced Terrorism Prevention and Investigation
    Measures Bill
    which has been lurking on the Home Office's wish list since 2011 will be introduced by the government into Parliament shortly? It would be depressing, albeit unsurprising, if this government reintroduces control orders, that is, if it can be accepted they ever abolished them in the first place.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875

O?T

I have just been down stairs to check out the tantalising and superb smells coming from the kitchen. Herself is cooking sausages for our evening meal. Sausages on a Friday! Its either the end of civilisation as we know it or her convent school education is finally beginning to wear off.

Or she's bought something she thinks you may think extravagant....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Milton Keynes mayor resigns over rape by a taxi driver.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-28983417

Why not something similar by the honourable Rotherham Councillors?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Does anyone watch the Yesterday channel? There's some super documentaries on there.

I only tripped across it whilst bored in a hotel room and my laptop was kaput. Whilst I watch ZERO terrestrial telly, I'd buy a sub to Yesterday.

yesterday.uktv.co.uk/on-demand
    taffys said:

The V2 rockets didn't...

Captured British servicemen were sometimes treated reasonably by the Nazis

Any and all British service people captured by ISIS can expect a summary beheading in front of a camera, without exception.

• Options
    Nothing beats Mdme Lily Bollinger
    “I only drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad.
    Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone.
    When I have company I consider it obligatory.
    I trifle with it if I'm not in a hurry and drink it when I am, otherwise I never touch the stuff unless I am thirsty.”

@SeanT

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Plato said:

Does anyone watch the Yesterday channel? There's some super documentaries on there.

I only tripped across it whilst bored in a hotel room and my laptop was kaput. Whilst I watch ZERO terrestrial telly, I'd buy a sub to Yesterday.

taffys said:

The V2 rockets didn't...

Any and all British service people captured by ISIS can expect a summary beheading in front of a camera, without exception.

You don't need to buy a sub. Just download a free to air TV app (like catch up TV) and it's free on there
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

SeanT said:

@SeanT

I like English sparkling wine. I had some pretty good Cornish *champagne* last month, and some excellent Home Counties stuff the month before that.

At its best it is just as good as the nice stuff from France or Spain: we are finally getting the hang of at least one kind of wine.

However the idea it is "better value" is a bit bonkers? Good UK bubbly is pricey.
    No, it really isn't. Get a bottle of RidgeView (they knock it out for about £25 a bottle for the ordinary stuff) and compare it to a bottle of the Frog stuff of the same style on sale at the same sort of price. I guarantee RidgeView will come out on top in a blind tasting. Good Brit Fizz is superb value for money.
    Talking of the fizz (more agreeable than the fuzz) did you receive my reply to your e-mail. Does my suggestion appeal?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    I'm flying BA to NY to see my daughter and celebrate her birthday next week.

I hope Heathrow's security is up to the job.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,231
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

BBC – Egged MP suspends Scots referendum tour.

"Labour MP Jim Murphy has suspended his Scotland-wide tour ahead of the independence referendum, citing "coordinated abuse" from "Yes" voters."

(this is serious stuff, no yolks pls)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28986714

Just because someone answered back at the poor dear??

There was some discussion on #indyref by Yes supporters, including how shocking the waste of an egg was. There was support for waving boxes of eggs at Mr M and then taking them to the food bank ...

Just because someone answered back at the poor dear??

You mean Murphy was egging the crowd on ? Trying to get the Nats to come out of their shells.

This is hardly the most eggsiting campaign ever and most of us can't wait until it's ova.
    That idea (deliberately trying to provoke the crowd to get some nasty nat media sympathy) was certainly the view of some who have watched the roadshow. There was also the interesting sight of a Tory councillor cheering him on (see wingsoverscotland.com today).

However, there is an alternative (and not mutually exclusive) analysis going around, that Mr M is laying the groundwork for hatching a plot to take over the SLAB nest in the wake of Ms Lamont. I wonder what Mr Sarwar thinks of that?

Would not be surprised if it was staged. Given the pounding he has been getting I can imagine he was looking forward to Glasgow with trepidation. Very convenient that someone walks up behind him and hits him with an egg. Especially given the goons he has with him and the boys with earpieces. Normal Labour tactics methinks.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

Amazed at the level of interest being shown to an increased threat level – by the same who had nothing to say on the small matter of 1,400 sexually abused children in Rotherham.

Who poses the greater risk - ISIS, or Labour voting child abusers in the north of England?
    Could be the very same young Pakistani men in all honesty.
    I wonder if there are any who have actually done both? A few years of child rape, then off to behead some infidels, then back to England to claim more benefits.

How about this bloke... A few years for child abuse in Rotherham! then off to Pakistan for "a long holiday"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737201/My-abuser-jail-tormenting-Facebook-At-13-Lizzie-raped-says-authorities-nothing.html
  • Options
    JohnO said:

SeanT said:

@SeanT

Talking of the fizz (more agreeable than the fuzz) did you receive my reply to your e-mail. Does my suggestion appeal?
    Sorry, just found your response and have replied. Thank you. You now need to get Alanbrooke to stump up for his bottle and you are set. Being as how he is a noted gentleman I am sure he will.

Cheers

HL
  • Options
    SeanT said:

To Do list found in Rotherham

1 Buy detergent
    2 Rape kids
    3 Go to Syria (behead infidel?)
    4 Force marriage
    5 Order pizza
    6 Honour kill sister?
    7 Put wife in burqa (check for FGM!)
    8 Bins

Drive taxi?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Plato said:

I trifle with it if I'm not in a hurry and drink it when I am, otherwise I never touch the stuff unless I am thirsty.”

Its a lovely quote, I especially like the finish, "other than that I never touch the stuff, unless I am thirsty", You just have imagine the pause on the last comma.

John Mortimer, of Rumpole fame, was another great champagne drinker. As he got old he, like most of us, started to have for the first time regular contact with the medical profession. Apparently at one of the early interviews his doctor asked him about his drinking habits, Mortimer allegedly replied, "I never start too early, a half bottle of champagne is quite sufficient in the mornings". To which the Doctor replied, "Good grief, how long have you been doing that?" "Ever since I could afford it", replied Mortimer.

It is alleged that at, possibly the same interview, the doctor asked Mortimer if he got out of breath after exercise, "My dear boy, how would I know?", was the response.

Mortimer died aged 85
  • Options
    I ADORED the Rumpole books - had the whole lot and have lost them.

*makes mental note to get another set*

Plato said:

Its a lovely quote, I especially like the finish, "other than that I never touch the stuff, unless I am thirsty", You just have imagine the pause on the last comma.

John Mortimer, of Rumpole fame, was another great champagne drinker. As he got old he, like most of us, started to have for the first time regular contact with the medical profession. Apparently at one of the early interviews his doctor asked him about his drinking habits, Mortimer allegedly replied, "I never start too early, a half bottle of champagne is quite sufficient in the mornings". To which the Doctor replied, "Good grief, how long have you been doing that?" "Ever since I could afford it", replied Mortimer.

It is alleged that at, possibly the same interview, the doctor asked Mortimer if he got out of breath after exercise, "My dear boy, how would I know?", was the response.

Mortimer died aged 85
  • Options
    Thanx Woolie.

I've got Catch-Up as a bookmark but never noticed Yesterday was in there.

Plato said:

taffys said:

The V2 rockets didn't...

You don't need to buy a sub. Just download a free to air TV app (like catch up TV) and it's free on there
  • Options

O?T

Or she's bought something she thinks you may think extravagant....
    You miss the point Mrs Vance. Sausages are meat, well sort of, and we never ever have meat on a Friday. So after more than 30 years something must have shifted. Possibly her body clock is still confused because of the bank holiday. I am not complaining, mind, and I think I'll wait a few days before raising the subject

P.S. Jolly good sausages they were too, from Clive Miller the local butcher, none of your supermarket mass produced rubbish.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2014

@VolcanoPete
    Do not decry "chatter in a breakdown truck".It is bound to have more scientific basis than most of the snake-oil peddled here.

I'm a little surprised you haven't "come out" for Roger Lord,the genuine Ukip candidate.

My attitude to the Clapton rumpus by Mr.Lord is that he is having a childish tantrum and appears more than a little bit unstable. If Lord had been privy to the secret of Carswell's defection from the Tories it wouldn't have remained a secret for very long. The fact is most Kippers approve of the defection and think it will give a boost to UKIP just when it's needed. However, there will be members who think that things are going fine without defections from the two main parties.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Welcome (briefly?) back!

Surely you collected on the Farage Thanet bet ????
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It turns out only one copper named in the Rotherham report still serves with South Yorks police.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/rotherham-abuse-scandal-laid-bare-police-failings-admits-chief-constable-1-6812751

His name is Richard Tweed and he has since moved from Rotherham, becoming Dist Commander in.... Doncaster

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/content/doncaster-district-commander

I'm trying to remember the name of the MP there. In Doncaster. Presumably he will have spoken out about the scandal, given that one of his council chiefs is ALSO implicated.

Tut, tut, Mr T: Leaders of Opposition are busy men, what with tweeting about the deaths of 91 year old actors. All in good time, I'm sure.

• Options
    SeanT said:

It turns out only one copper named in the Rotherham report still serves with South Yorks police.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/rotherham-abuse-scandal-laid-bare-police-failings-admits-chief-constable-1-6812751

His name is Richard Tweed and he has since moved from Rotherham, becoming Dist Commander in.... Doncaster

I'm trying to remember the name of the MP there. In Doncaster. Presumably he will have spoken out about the scandal, given that one of his council chiefs is ALSO implicated.

Tut, tut, Mr T.

Leaders of Opposition are busy men, what with tweeting about the deaths of 91 year old actors.

All in good time, I'm sure.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Tut, tut, Mr T: Leaders of Opposition are busy men, what with tweeting about the deaths of 91 year old actors. All in good time, I'm sure.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Boris wont stand in a seat that is not in London, that is clear.

On the Populus numbers it might be one of two, either its Rotherham or its a return of the fridays/mondays issue.
    We wont know the full effect of the scandal and Carswell until Tuesday, so be patient.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

Out of curiosity I looked at Harman's Twitter feed.

Harriet Harman @HarrietHarman · Aug 27
    Rotherham: support victims, prosecute criminals, hold to account those in authority who failed, learn lessons.

Is she serious? Wonder if she backs silent Ed.

I think it is a good tactic for Labour to say the standard stuff for now.
This discussion has been closed.