Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why positive poll ratings on economic competence might not

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,097
    Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    There are two large general hospitals within 10 miles of me. Both have charges for their parking. Both car parks are usually almost full. The parking cost is unwelcome but it does improve chances of getting a space. Free will lead to abuse. Lower charges would be the best way to go to test their effects on a case by case basis.
    Seems to me the best way is to give free tickets at reception to genuine visitors/patients and charge big for peopl using the car park for shopping/commuting
    And how exactly would you make that work? Any system, such as you suggest, would be open to abuse, would require all sorts of additional staff to implement.

How do you stop someone from being a visitor and then using the car park for 6 hours afterwards so they can go off and do other things?

How can someone check to see if a car is parked by a legitimate user or not?

And where is the money going to come from to pay for all the extra staff as well as having to make up the shortfall in income? Oh yes - clamping down on 'Health Tourism' - and what new measures do you actually propose to collect all of this extra money? Details are needed if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise it is just a cheap bit of populism - right out of the New Labour spin book.
    Ok lets just charge people to visit their family & friends in hospital as we do now
    How about providing a free minibus service to the local bus/train station?

Then people have an alternative to driving. If people want to convenience of being able to drive, then they should be willing to contribute to the costs.
    Here is a Tory MP arguing in favour of it, I agree with him. Frank Field is in favour too.

I think you're just on PB "auto argue with UKIP" mode

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28211781
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:
    How will you replace th lost income for hospitals? A higher deficit, higher taxes or spending cuts elsewhere? If the last, what is less important than asking people to make a contribution to the cost of the NHS owning parking facilities?
    Charging immigrants to use the NHS is their proposal, as outlined in the link I provided

Why don't you read that, written by ukip, instead of asking me, who isn't a ukip policy maker?
    Cause I'm too busy to read press releases from political parties.

Lots of governments have already spent that money though.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2014
    Osborne is unpopular partly because he is the man who has to make the difficult announcements that are necessary to pay down the deficit.

But there's another reason. Osborne is unpopular because he is in thrall to the maoists at the treasury and HMRC who want to legalise the arbitrary confiscation of the monies of ordinary citizens.

Will Dave drop George to stay in power? he may need to.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

2 of my workmates will be voting UKIP at the GE. One is a former Lib Dem, the other used to vote Labour.

Come join the Peoples Army; vote UKIP
    It is the use of language such as 'People's Army' that makes UKIP deeply unpalatable for many.

Politics may be a battle of ideas and ideologies, a clash of personalities and policies - but to reference 'army' so explicitly is something that I, personally, find scary.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

@DavidL
    Many of those people you mention need help from the state to survive, despite being in full time work. As for the part timers, those on zero hours contracts, and the newly self employed?
    The majority of the latter two are even more heavily dependent. (there were always positive benefits of them for certain sections)

Are they better off? Yes they are. The combination of earning and generous (compared to the alternative) in work benefits makes sure they are. 2 million of them. It is a remarkable achievement.

LOL, if only everybody could see the world from the viewpoint of the wealthy, next you will be saying they can eat cake.
    I'm sure Waitrose will give you some old brioche if you ask nicely
    Luckily I am not one of the unfortunate ones and can afford to buy the brioche fresh , no sell by bargains necessary. There are many many not so lucky , all that pooling and sharing does not seem to be working too well. Seems to be we do lots of pooling and some others share more like.
    The explosion of food banks in Scotland under the SNP must make your heart bleed.

Cuckoo
  • Options

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

2 of my workmates will be voting UKIP at the GE. One is a former Lib Dem, the other used to vote Labour.

It is the use of language such as 'People's Army' that makes UKIP deeply unpalatable for many.

Politics may be a battle of ideas and ideologies, a clash of personalities and policies - but to reference 'army' so explicitly is something that I, personally, find scary.
    Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

You're really, really not going to vote UKIP, are you?

• Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

@DavidL
    Many of those people you mention need help from the state to survive, despite being in full time work. As for the part timers, those on zero hours contracts, and the newly self employed?
    The majority of the latter two are even more heavily dependent. (there were always positive benefits of them for certain sections)

Are they better off? Yes they are. The combination of earning and generous (compared to the alternative) in work benefits makes sure they are. 2 million of them. It is a remarkable achievement.

LOL, if only everybody could see the world from the viewpoint of the wealthy, next you will be saying they can eat cake.
    I'm sure Waitrose will give you some old brioche if you ask nicely
    Luckily I am not one of the unfortunate ones and can afford to buy the brioche fresh , no sell by bargains necessary. There are many many not so lucky , all that pooling and sharing does not seem to be working too well. Seems to be we do lots of pooling and some others share more like.
    My point was that even though Marie-Antoinette most likely never said "let them eat cake" even the original smear refered to brioche - which is bread, not cake.
    OK, however the meaning behind it remains the same. It is very easy for someone who earns shedloads of money to be glib and say poor people should be grateful they have a zero hours contract instead of being unemployed. It is just a shuffle of benefits , which can cause issues , to make employment look good. Similar to Thatcher making everyone unfit for work and eligible for disability benefits.
    It merely masks the problems and does not help the poor but it appears to slave David's conscience OK.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:
    How will you replace th lost income for hospitals? A higher deficit, higher taxes or spending cuts elsewhere? If the last, what is less important than asking people to make a contribution to the cost of the NHS owning parking facilities?
    Charging immigrants to use the NHS is their proposal, as outlined in the link I provided

Why don't you read that, written by ukip, instead of asking me, who isn't a ukip policy maker?
    Cause I'm too busy to read press releases from political parties.

Lots of governments have already spent that money though.
    Maybe you should be a little bit less busy about the policy until you read the details
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    I do think the use of People's Army will deter some voters.

Personally, I think it's a clunky and naive use of language, but not indicative of anything more than that.

And it's worth mentioning nobody thinks twice about referring to a Praetorian Guard when it comes to a leader's close allies*.

*Ironic, given Praetorian Guards probably killed more Emperors than they saved. Varangian Guard would be a lot more loyal.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11035432/France-rebels-against-austerity-as-Europes-recovery-collapses.html

I think the public will excuse UKIP a few clunky slogans, given the economic strife that is going on in Europe/
  • Options
    UKIP is more Hannibal's army at Zama than Caesar's army at Pharsalus.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MikeK said:

You will see much UKIP new policy, and reaffirmation of some old policies, being declared at the September UKIP conference in Doncaster. Not only that #oxfordsimon, you'll find plenty of established policy if you cared to look at the UKIP web sites. There you can 'scrute' as long as you like.

Mike, no word so far from the people you contacted about informing NGOs of stand availability/prices. We're still up for exhibiting (I've got a hotel room in Doncaster for it), but if much more time passes we'll conclude that UKIP doesn't want any stands and do something else instead.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

This is a great thread!!

Devon weather update: warm, broken cloud, occasional threats of spotty rain....

Snow next week!! Looks like it'll be cold. But a fortnight of reading, beer drinking and bracing walks in beautiful country does not sound half bad to me.

If you want any local info or recommendations, feel free to contact me via Mike/Vanilla.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Neil said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

You're really, really not going to vote UKIP, are you?

Why would I? They have no coherent policy platform, no experience of running even a local council. I vote - or spoil my ballot paper - based on the candidates, their policies, their record and the national party platform. I have never seen any positive message from UKIP that can persuade me why they are worthy of consideration let alone my vote.

Yes, they want to pull out of the EU - but that is not a platform for government. There are many problems with Europe and the institutions, but walking away is not as easy as UKIP would have people believe.
  • Options
    Applicants to Labour selection in Bootle:

Henry Clarke (solicitor from Tiverton)
    Matthew Doyle (former SpAd to Blair and Mandelson)
    Peter Dowd (Sefton council leader)
    Paul Edwards (Barnet Cllr)
    Owen Fields (teacher from Harrow)
    Alex Flynn (Unite head of Campaigns)
    Kevin Graham (former Hexham GE candidate)
    Kevin Hickson (Crewe Cllr, works at Liverpool University)
    Neil Humphrey (from Broxtowe, tried in Battarsea)
    Dave Landrum (work(ed) at the House of Commons, born locally)
    Julie MacManus (from Wirral, shortlisted in Ellesmere Port)
    Alex Mayer (Euro candidate in East of England)
    Luthfur Rahman (Manchester Cllr)
    Jacqueline Robinson (from Birmingham, shortlisted in Ellesmere Port, tried in Salford & Eccles)
    James Stewart Laing (2001 candidate in Thanet North, lives in Wallasey)
    Stephen Tudhope (from Woking)
    Lo Vincent (from Wembley)

Some more here: crosbywaterloo.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/new-mp-for-bootle-constituency/

• Options
    edited August 2014
    It seems to me that UKIP are going quite big on localism... we have candidates standing in constituencies that they are from, despite perhaps being better placed elsewhere, councillors paying for parking tickets they feel were incorrectly issued, and now a policy to scrap parking charges for hospital visitors

Same as any other party policy there will be pros and cons, but I think it fits in with the findings from Goodwin and Fords book "Revolt on the Right" about big governments seeming distant and uncaring to the issues that worry people at a local level. UKIP know that and so are basing their approach accordingly IMO
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    There are two large general hospitals within 10 miles of me. Both have charges for their parking. Both car parks are usually almost full. The parking cost is unwelcome but it does improve chances of getting a space. Free will lead to abuse. Lower charges would be the best way to go to test their effects on a case by case basis.
    Seems to me the best way is to give free tickets at reception to genuine visitors/patients and charge big for peopl using the car park for shopping/commuting
    And how exactly would you make that work? Any system, such as you suggest, would be open to abuse, would require all sorts of additional staff to implement.

How do you stop someone from being a visitor and then using the car park for 6 hours afterwards so they can go off and do other things?

And where is the money going to come from to pay for all the extra staff as well as having to make up the shortfall in income? Oh yes - clamping down on 'Health Tourism' - and what new measures do you actually propose to collect all of this extra money? Details are needed if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise it is just a cheap bit of populism - right out of the New Labour spin book.
    Ok lets just charge people to visit their family & friends in hospital as we do now

Then people have an alternative to driving. If people want to convenience of being able to drive, then they should be willing to contribute to the costs.
    While I'm a big supporter of public transport in general, and I recognise that making parking free in hospitals would make it impossible for the people who need to park there to find a parking spot, the charging for parking at hospitals does really rankle.

Particularly when you realise that - for obvious reasons - many of the people who are being driven to or from hospital are in no condition to use public transport. You're not able to walk home from a bus stop if you're less than 48 hours post knee operation, for example.

This is the sort of thing that is lost when central planners make decisions about centralising care in super-hospitals, that are even further away from where many of their patients live.
  • Options

Jacqueline Robinson (from Birmingham, shortlisted in Ellesmere Port, tried in Salford & Eccles)

Some more here: crosbywaterloo.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/new-mp-for-bootle-constituency/

And yet *another* seat that Euan Blair was meant to be lining up (prompting yet more nepotism stories and posts here) seems to be selecting without him applying.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

UKIP is more Hannibal's army at Zama than Caesar's army at Pharsalus.

More like Alexander's army at Issus.

• Options
    It seems to me that UKIP are going quite big on localism.

Quite, but O'Flynn taking on Cambridge?? Booming, techy, student rich Cambridge?

One of UKIP's most lucid performers, he must have better chances elsewhere.
  • Options

Charles said:

isam said:

isam said:

While I'm a big supporter of public transport in general, and I recognise that making parking free in hospitals would make it impossible for the people who need to park there to find a parking spot, the charging for parking at hospitals does really rankle.

Particularly when you realise that - for obvious reasons - many of the people who are being driven to or from hospital are in no condition to use public transport. You're not able to walk home from a bus stop if you're less than 48 hours post knee operation, for example.

This is the sort of thing that is lost when central planners make decisions about centralising care in super-hospitals, that are even further away from where many of their patients live.
    " parking free in hospitals would make it impossible for the people who need to park there to find a parking spot,"

No it wouldn't.. . you could have a system at the barrier where people had to say who they were visiting to be allowed in. Staff could have passes.. this is hardly Rocket science, its just a good policy from a party that other parties don't like to be seen agreeing with, despite many in the commons already campaigning for it
  • Options
    isam said:

councillors paying for parking tickets they feel were incorrectly issued

Isnt that just treating?
  • Options
    taffys said:

It seems to me that UKIP are going quite big on localism.

Quite, but O'Flynn taking on Cambridge?? Booming, techy, student rich Cambridge?

One of UKIP's most lucid performers, he must have better chances elsewhere.

Especially as other Cambridge seats are more UKIP friendly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Cambridgeshire_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

One has to be careful not to confuse Luthfur Rahman with Lutfur Rahman.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Afternoon all :)

I'm a lifelong non-Conservative (rather than anti-Conservative) but I certainly don't believe Conservatives are "indifferent" to people's fortunes - after all, they need said people to vote for them to stay in power and simply saying "it would be worse with Labour" simply isn't enough.

I know my living standards have deteriorated in the past five years under the Coalition - I also know that for all the grandiose promises we have, in a sense, been marking time in terms of dealing with the debt and deficit issue and it's perfectly clear we will need to set aside billions to pay down debt interest before dealing with the actual debt itself.

Economic growth has returned and the trumpetting of statistics notwithstanding it is clear we are no longer staring into the abyss as we were in 2008-09.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Neil said:

And yet *another* seat that Euan Blair was meant to be lining up (prompting yet more nepotism stories and posts here) seems to be selecting without him applying.

Luthfur Rahman (Manchester Cllr) :O
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Isnt that just treating?
    Not sure what you mean but here is the case in point

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ukip-pays-fine-to-end-misery-for-pensioner-1-6237951
  • Options
    ''saying "it would be worse with Labour" simply isn't enough''.

Some hard thinking ahead for certain tories on this site, then...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11035432/France-rebels-against-austerity-as-Europes-recovery-collapses.html

I think the public will excuse UKIP a few clunky slogans, given the economic strife that is going on in Europe/

As rcs1000 has pointed out many, many times - anyone who has bet on AEP being right would be very poor right now. He plays to the gallery, the Telegraph's readers want to see bad news about Europe and AEP delivers it in his own style. His articles are overly alarmist and almost none of his dire predictions/warnings have come true.

That's not to say the French saying "non" to the EU over deficit targets is a good thing, just that it won't make any difference. What will make a difference is if France can't get their economy growing and if inflation continues to fall from already dangerously low levels.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,427
    edited August 2014
    isam said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!
    Its the 'People's ' bit I find tedious. Anything that has the word 'people's ' in it is usually patronising or communist or silly in general
  • Options
    Mr. F, I fear that's crossing the line from optimism to madness.

Alexander had the best cavalry and infantry in the world (and even his second and third class cavalry were fantastic) as well as numerous brilliant senior officers.

If Farage were Alexander or UKIP Alexander's army he'd already be Prime Minister, we'd be out of Europe and Calais would be ours again.
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Isnt that just treating?
    Positive press coverage and being seen to help out a pensioner is a bargain for £70.

So long as it is his own money I don't have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Isnt that just treating?
    Positive press coverage and being seen to help out a pensioner is a bargain for £70.

Where do you draw the line? Large scale treating is obviously beyond the pale (and against the law) - is individual treating fine?

• Options
    taffys said:

''saying "it would be worse with Labour" simply isn't enough''.

Some hard thinking ahead for certain tories on this site, then...

That seems to be the message from the Conservative-inclined along with "stick with us" and similar themes. I won't be voting Conservative and even if I did in East Ham it wouldn't make a scintilla of difference to the overall result. I'd rather waste my vote on my principles than the illusion of a tactical masterplan.

People are, I think, tired of austerity as defined by declining living standards and working longer hours for less. Vague promises of "jam tomorrow" won't cut it so Osborne's ploy will be to create the feelgood factor in his pre-election Budget and sort out the bill once he's back at No.11.

• Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!
    Its the 'People's ' bit I find tedious. Anything that has the word 'people's ' in it is usually patronising or communist or silly in general
    To be honest I don't take any notice of it. Probably a bit patronising you are right... but if people respond I guess they will use it....

The whole kaboodle is about giving a voice to people who feel disenfranchised, that no one is listening to them, or tells them they are wrong to think the way they do.. so making it feel they are part of a movement of some kind probably appeals
  • Options
    Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Isnt that just treating?

Where do you draw the line? Large scale treating is obviously beyond the pale (and against the law) - is individual treating fine?

That's why small local government is better than a big beauracratic state
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2014
    Bootle selection will take place on October 5th.

Before it there will be the selection in Ashton under Lyne on September 6th

Selection process just started in Neath with the timetable set.

Other seats with Labour MP retiring and no PPC yet selected are

Sheffield Brightside & Hillsborough (Open)
    Bradford South (AWS)
    Warkington (AWS)
    Swansea East (AWS)
    Cynon Valley (AWS)
    Holborn & St Pancras

Target seats still to select

Bradford East (Open)
    Bradford West (AWS)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A UKIP Annecdote Alert

Although I am not a member of any political party this morning I got dragooned into spending two hours in Hurspierpoint High Street wearing a UKIP rosette dishing out leaflets. I was stunned at the response.

Hurst is not a thriving metropolis and is widely regarded as a staunch Tory area. I ran out of leaflets and about 20% of the people who walked by came up to me and started conversations about how glad they were that UKIP was coming into the area and how fed up they were with the major parties. Dammit, I even, without trying, signed up four new members on the spot - they filled in the form including the payment/standing order details! I didn't even ask them, they asked me.

The local UKIP PPC turned up to see how we were getting on. A very nice chap, ex-RN, and he needs to make more of that, and even he was surprised.

An anecdote, from a rock solid safe Tory seat. Probably means not much but a straw in the wind I thought worth sharing.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @stodge
    It's already in the pipeline. Have a look at the new regulations for the "self employed" due to come into force after the elections. ;-)
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, you are Parmenio and I claim five talents.

Anyway, I am off for a bit.
  • Options
    MaxPB

I think AEP's musings on the Euro are exactly right. But...the timeframe over which things will unfold is very hard to call. It's not going to come apart tomorrow. But then again 10 years is not feasible either. Another recession/stock market collapse/bank run/government default/other macro nasty is going to happen sooner or later.

Italy cannot just keep ploughing ever deeper into debt/GDP oblivion without something snapping. Probably the pain of unwinding the Euro is too much to bear and we'll get QE big style with lots of money printing and ZIRP for a decade/the Eurozone becoming a real de facto EUSSR superstate/Germany & Bundesbank capitulate.

This would represent a less exciting outcome than AEP clearly postulates - which would be more along the lines of external shock->stock market collapse->debt market collapse-> EU bank runs-> bailouts->national insolvencies->ECB swallows the entire Eurozone govt bond market with printed money.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'm a lifelong non-Conservative (rather than anti-Conservative) but I certainly don't believe Conservatives are "indifferent" to people's fortunes - after all, they need said people to vote for them to stay in power and simply saying "it would be worse with Labour" simply isn't enough.

I know my living standards have deteriorated in the past five years under the Coalition - I also know that for all the grandiose promises we have, in a sense, been marking time in terms of dealing with the debt and deficit issue and it's perfectly clear we will need to set aside billions to pay down debt interest before dealing with the actual debt itself.

Economic growth has returned and the trumpetting of statistics notwithstanding it is clear we are no longer staring into the abyss as we were in 2008-09.

Agreed Mr Stodge.
    But the problems of living standards deteriorating is a function of the terrible recession the tories inherited. If 'living standards' ,ie wages, were higher then so would inflation and so there would have been no one actually better off. In fact there has been a trade off. Workers have shown wage restraint and a) kept themselves in a job and b) facilitated the creation of more jobs. Wage restraint has in fact improved 'living standards' since people are immeasurably better off in work than being unemployed. On top of which the tax allowance has gone up.

Do people really think that when, by the time it left office, the Labour govt were spending £80 billion more than the economy could ever hope to sustain in revenues (ie a non cyclical ever present deficit - a structural deficit) that this could just be magicked away without pain?

• Options
    Unfortunately, you can't explain Free Market economics to people using brief and emotive buzz phrases and catchy slogans. It will always be popular to promise "free" stuff and to say that the blame for everything wrong with your life lies with somebody else.
  • Options

A UKIP Annecdote Alert

Although I am not a member of any political party this morning I got dragooned into spending two hours in Hurspierpoint High Street wearing a UKIP rosette dishing out leaflets. I was stunned at the response.

Hurst is not a thriving metropolis and is widely regarded as a staunch Tory area. I ran out of leaflets and about 20% of the people who walked by came up to me and started conversations about how glad they were that UKIP was coming into the area and how fed up they were with the major parties. Dammit, I even, without trying, signed up four new members on the spot - they filled in the form including the payment/standing order details! I didn't even ask them, they asked me.

The local UKIP PPC turned up to see how we were getting on. A very nice chap, ex-RN, and he needs to make more of that, and even he was surprised.

An anecdote, from a rock solid safe Tory seat. Probably means not much but a straw in the wind I thought worth sharing.

I stayed at a mates in Henfield a fortnight ago for Goodwood festival week, next time I am there maybe we can have a pint?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    'Greece has modest growth, but its economy is shrinking.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28785700

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!
    To be honest I don't take any notice of it. Probably a bit patronising you are right... but if people respond I guess they will use it....

The whole kaboodle is about giving a voice to people who feel disenfranchised, that no one is listening to them, or tells them they are wrong to think the way they do.. so making it feel they are part of a movement of some kind probably appeals

Unlike Oxfordsimon I don't cower when the term comes out . More like a sigh. I explained why I find 'people's ' a bit tedious but the overall term reminds me of 'Dad's army 'which ,whilst I have affection for it, the joke was that they are well intentioned but incompetent.
    To many that sums up UKIP
  • Options
    "... people who feel disenfranchised, that no one is listening to them, or tells them they are wrong to think the way they do ..."

That's what I kept hearing this morning, and from all walks of life too. People off the local council estate, from the three bed 1970s semis and from some of the bigger houses. The story was exactly that, disenfranchised, ignored and fed up with it.
  • Options
    isam said:

A UKIP Annecdote Alert

I stayed at a mates in Henfield a fortnight ago for Goodwood festival week, next time I am there maybe we can have a pint?
    Love to.
  • Options

Unfortunately, you can't explain Free Market economics to people using brief and emotive buzz phrases and catchy slogans. It will always be popular to promise "free" stuff and to say that the blame for everything wrong with your life lies with somebody else.

Very true . I wish sometimes when various pressure groups want spending on their pet project some time is expended as to say ' That's nice where do you propose the money comes from, what will you cut?'
  • Options

Mr. F, I fear that's crossing the line from optimism to madness.

Alexander had the best cavalry and infantry in the world (and even his second and third class cavalry were fantastic) as well as numerous brilliant senior officers.

If Farage were Alexander or UKIP Alexander's army he'd already be Prime Minister, we'd be out of Europe and Calais would be ours again.

He's more their Varro.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    India - 38 for 5 ;-)
  • Options

isam said:

A UKIP Annecdote Alert

Love to.
    Great. Not sure when but will let you know. Lovely part of the world, must be great to live there
  • Options

A UKIP Annecdote Alert

Dan Hodges better hope he can find a large Nigel Farage mask.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!

Unlike Oxfordsimon I don't cower when the term comes out . More like a sigh. I explained why I find 'people's ' a bit tedious but the overall term reminds me of 'Dad's army 'which ,whilst I have affection for it, the joke was that they are well intentioned but incompetent.
    I agree it does sum them up to many... but the people who have turned to UKIP think the other parties are not well intentioned towards them (racist/loonies) , as well as being incompetent (Wars/recession), annoying/interfering (Political correctness) and dishonest (expenses)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

You will see much UKIP new policy, and reaffirmation of some old policies, being declared at the September UKIP conference in Doncaster. Not only that #oxfordsimon, you'll find plenty of established policy if you cared to look at the UKIP web sites. There you can 'scrute' as long as you like.

Mike, no word so far from the people you contacted about informing NGOs of stand availability/prices. We're still up for exhibiting (I've got a hotel room in Doncaster for it), but if much more time passes we'll conclude that UKIP doesn't want any stands and do something else instead.

I really am sorry about that Nick. all I can suggest is that you contact the organisers direct through the UKIP web page devoted to the conference. They really deserve a kicking.

There is a line further down the page that says: "To apply for individual media accreditation please click here'' Maybe that will help you.

http://www.ukip.org/doncaster
  • Options
    India suffering at the Oval. Will they eat their lunch?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Isam,

If UKIP can get away with painting themselves as a party of honesty that's some spin job given the behaviour of several of their MEP's over the years. Something I think the other parties should bring up more if UKIP try and say they are cleaner than other parties.

As for not interfering, UKIP ,as far as I know, are the only party to insist on a certain design scheme for trains
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    43 runs in an entire session? That must be one of the lowest figures ever for the first session of a Test at the Oval.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@stodge
    It's already in the pipeline. Have a look at the new regulations for the "self employed" due to come into force after the elections. ;-)

Please explain or link to "new regulations for the "self employed" due to come into force after the elections" thanks.
  • Options
    UKIP membership reached 39,000 a couple of months ago. At the rate it was increasing, numbers should have easily hit 40K by now. I'm guessing that it already has, but they want to wait until the party conference to make the big announcement.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdotal:

Hahaha ah diddums

ARMY!!!!!!!

I agree it does sum them up to many... but the people who have turned to UKIP think the other parties are not well intentioned towards them (racist/loonies) , as well as being incompetent (Wars/recession), annoying/interfering (Political correctness) and dishonest (expenses)
    Indeed, I have found this attitude across GB and it applies to concillors and council officials as well as MPs, some Judges and civil servants.
  • Options

The England football team has undoubtedly improved since the players got their tax cut. What further proof do you need that low taxes for the wealthiest incentivises better performance.

The England team donate their England fees to charity. So they play for free. Is that the problem?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2632671/Englands-World-Cup-squad-raise-whopping-362-000-charity-gala.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

43 runs in an entire session? That must be one of the lowest figures ever for the first session of a Test at the Oval.

England could have the match won on Saturday.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What a boring, waste of time Cricket is!
  • Options

Agreed Mr Stodge.
    But the problems of living standards deteriorating is a function of the terrible recession the tories inherited. If 'living standards' ,ie wages, were higher then so would inflation and so there would have been no one actually better off. In fact there has been a trade off. Workers have shown wage restraint and a) kept themselves in a job and b) facilitated the creation of more jobs. Wage restraint has in fact improved 'living standards' since people are immeasurably better off in work than being unemployed. On top of which the tax allowance has gone up.

Do people really think that when, by the time it left office, the Labour govt were spending £80 billion more than the economy could ever hope to sustain in revenues (ie a non cyclical ever present deficit - a structural deficit) that this could just be magicked away without pain?

Indeed and labour capacity leading to wage-driven inflation has killed off many economic booms in the past - the 1980s being a good example. By the mid-80s there was full employment in the south-east - indeed, there was a shortage of labour and that led to increasing wages and in turn inflation.

Now, thanks to immigration (and I'll wait for the inevitable response to that comment), we are simply throwing more and more cheap labour into the mix which means companies don't need to improve processes or spend capital to improve how they do things when they can simply get some labour in for next to nothing.

Workers have been forced to show restraint because they know there are plenty of available replacements - witness the late 80s and the way unions were able to win strikes because labour was scarce (I took part in the public sector workers action in 1989-90 when we won a huge pay increase).

As to the "macro" aspects, most people neither know nor care. In simplistic terms, they had the library or the swimming pool or the youth centre during the Labour years and now the "nasty Tories" have closed it (and if it's been closed by a Labour Council you can be sure they've blamed the Conservative Government). By the way, it doesn't help when Conservative Councillors award themselves huge increases in allowances as has happened in Surrey and some other places.

• Options
    edited August 2014

AndyJS said:

What a boring, waste of time Cricket is!
    Especially when India appear on their uppers. ;)
  • Options

MikeK said:

http://www.ukip.org/commercial_and_fringe_packages

Sent the form off ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Mr. Observer, food banks began during the boom times under Labour and grew even before the crash. The idea they're due to wicked Tories eating babies and setting fire to nuns is entirely wrong.

Southam has his own set of prejudices, as we all do to a degree.
  • Options
    I think India must have lost mental concentration after winning at Lords, just assuming they'd at worst draw the series.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Anyone interested in constituency betting needs to take account of the politics of fracking.Today,Breast Cancer UK came out against it because of the carcinogenic chemicals used in the fracking process.Have the political parties really thought through the implications yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28774052
  • Options
    Have the political parties really thought through the implications yet?

Good point, but I'd have thought that the conflagrations in Russia and the middle east have one a few converts to increased domestic energy security, too.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:

I think India must have lost mental concentration after winning at Lords, just assuming they'd at worst draw the series.

They should play Scotland: (NZ A batting)

Sharif to Watling, SIX, driven classically over long-off, and that is a stunning hundred from the skipper. His second fifty off just 14 balls.

Sharif to Watling, SIX, more punishment, over cover for another maximum.
    Sharif to Watling, 2 runs, DROPPED oh dear, mis-timed over mid-off and the skipper Machan puts it down. Not easy, but not hard...
    Sharif to Watling, FOUR, walks across his stumps and pulls a ball outside off stump over backward square leg.
    Sharif to Watling, SIX, another shovel sweep over fine leg, and it's gone a long long way.
    Sharif to Watling, 1 wide, slower ball bouncer, with third man and fine leg up. Fortunately for him, it was down leg side, missed and called wide.
    Sharif to Watling, FOUR, different bowler, same result. On a length, and slapped over cover.

Wardlaw to Watling, 1 run, short and wide but with a third man this time, and they only get a single this time. A productive over nevertheless.
    Wardlaw to Watling, no run, well bowled, slower ball bouncer deceives the batsman. Gets his dot.
    Wardlaw to Watling, FOUR, short and wide, and the pitch doesn't have the pace for that to be effective. The upper cut comes out and beats the fielders chasing.
    Wardlaw to Watling, SIX, down the track, and hit over point this time, for another maximum. This is sheer power at this point.
    Wardlaw to Watling, SIX, flat-batted over cow corner, clearing the ropes by a few metres, but staying out of the neighbouring gardens.
    Wardlaw to Watling, FOUR, sliced over short third man. Pretty fortunate, but that's just the way things have gone for Scotland in the last 15 overs.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    stodge said:

Agreed Mr Stodge.

Indeed and labour capacity leading to wage-driven inflation has killed off many economic booms in the past - the 1980s being a good example. By the mid-80s there was full employment in the south-east - indeed, there was a shortage of labour and that led to increasing wages and in turn inflation.

Now, thanks to immigration (and I'll wait for the inevitable response to that comment), we are simply throwing more and more cheap labour into the mix which means companies don't need to improve processes or spend capital to improve how they do things when they can simply get some labour in for next to nothing.

Workers have been forced to show restraint because they know there are plenty of available replacements - witness the late 80s and the way unions were able to win strikes because labour was scarce (I took part in the public sector workers action in 1989-90 when we won a huge pay increase).

As to the "macro" aspects, most people neither know nor care. In simplistic terms, they had the library or the swimming pool or the youth centre during the Labour years and now the "nasty Tories" have closed it (and if it's been closed by a Labour Council you can be sure they've blamed the Conservative Government). By the way, it doesn't help when Conservative Councillors award themselves huge increases in allowances as has happened in Surrey and some other places.

For virtually everybody, except those parkd on benefits, immigration helps. It provides services it keeps inflation down. We still have many people on benefits who could work. But are they employable?
    In broad terms we could price ourselves out of a sustainable recovery. At the moment we are not. Wage restraint is good news, it keeps the lid on inflation and makes us more competitive.
  • Options
    Scots getting tonked, England handing out a beating.
  • Options

Isam,

If UKIP can get away with painting themselves as a party of honesty that's some spin job given the behaviour of several of their MEP's over the years. Something I think the other parties should bring up more if UKIP try and say they are cleaner than other parties.

As for not interfering, UKIP ,as far as I know, are the only party to insist on a certain design scheme for trains

I think the MEP thing has been tried countless times and failed miserably.

True or not, and annoying as it may be for diehards of other parties, UKIP are seen as an alternative to the normal parties that have let them down by a significant minority of the public
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2014
    6 down for 44. I am at the Oval tomorrow. not sure it'll be a full days play..
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    taffys said:

Have the political parties really thought through the implications yet?

Good point, but I'd have thought that the conflagrations in Russia and the middle east have one a few converts to increased domestic energy security, too.

The people of Balcombe,and many other places across the UK,inc Northern Ireland,are clearly not convinced by that argument.
  • Options
    isam said:

True or not, and annoying as it may be for diehards of other parties, UKIP are seen as an alternative to the normal parties that have let them down by a significant minority of the public

It's not so much annoying as amusing. In particular the ideas that UKIP somehow have been cleaner on expenses, or are more honest in their policies, are hilarious.

Of course it will no longer be funny if it leads to a Miliband government.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scots getting tonked, England handing out a beating.

It is only rounders
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

isam said:

It's not so much annoying as amusing. In particular the ideas that UKIP somehow have been cleaner on expenses, or are more honest in their policies, are hilarious.

Of course it will no longer be funny if it leads to a Miliband government.
    Why blame UKIP for Cameron's failings ?

If we have a Miliband govt. it's because Cameron can't make himself electable.
  • Options

'the other lot will be much much worse' is no way to win an election, as stodge points out below.
  • Options
  • Options

If, God forbid, we get a Miliband government, it will be because voters want one, or at least are prepared to accept one, in preference to a Cameron government. That's up to them, of course, but it would certainly be a perverse decision.
  • Options
    taffys said:

'the other lot will be much much worse' is no way to win an election, as stodge points out below.

It's all Richard's got.
  • Options
    Paul Nuttall gets some advice:

Paul Nuttall ‏@paulnuttallukip 22h
    You might not agree, but I wasn't expecting this! http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/14/Student-newspaper-editor-tells-ukip-to-f-his-mother@UKIP #ukip
  • Options
    taffys said:

Partly true, but that's certainly not the way the Conservatives are trying to win the election: they will be standing on the excellent record of the Conservative-led government, one of the best of the post-war years.
  • Options

If, God forbid, we get a Miliband government, it will be because voters want one, or at least are prepared to accept one, in preference to a Cameron government. That's up to them, of course, but it would certainly be a perverse decision.
    Why ? For most people there's little difference between Cameron and Miliband. That's not perverse it's the default position.
  • Options

Why ? For most people there's little difference between Cameron and Miliband. That's not perverse it's the default position.

Anyone who thinks that is, quite frankly, an idiot, or, more likely, not paying attention.

It's not a misapprehension which will survive many months of a Miliband government, of course. But by then it will be too late.
  • Options
    @TCPoliticalBetting
    Sorry for the late reply. The new benefit regulations for self employment are meant to undo all those mythical jobs that the agencies found for the long term unemployed (for a handsome reward)
    The government knows it is a con, but it suits them at the moment despite being unsustainable.
    With the new reforms to combat this, it will make genuine business start ups almost impossible without external capital.
    Here is your starter for ten, google is your friend.
    http://www.prowess.org.uk/universal-credit-self-employed
  • Options

taffys said:

Partly true, but that's certainly not the way the Conservatives are trying to win the election: they will be standing on the excellent record of the Conservative-led government, one of the best of the post-war years.
    Conservative majority in Scotland nailed on; must be, they're that good.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Anyone who thinks that is, quite frankly, an idiot, or, more likely, not paying attention.

It's not a misapprehension which will survive many months of a Miliband government, of course. But by then it will be too late.
    On that basis we can take it that Cameron just isn't very good at politics then; should he step aside for someone better ?
  • Options

On that basis we can take it that Cameron just isn't very good at politics then; should he step aside for someone better ?

If there were anyone better, yes of course.
  • Options

If there were anyone better, yes of course.
    Wot ?????

George is WORSE than Dave ??????

Well I've always said he's fairly useless, glad to see you agree. ;-)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TCPoliticalBetting
    Sorry for the late reply. The new benefit regulations for self employment are meant to undo all those mythical jobs that the agencies found for the long term unemployed (for a handsome reward)
    The government knows it is a con, but it suits them at the moment despite being unsustainable.
    With the new reforms to combat this, it will make genuine business start ups almost impossible without external capital.
    Here is your starter for ten, google is your friend.
    http://www.prowess.org.uk/universal-credit-self-employed

Thanks, but this looks to be a very good thing in removing a lot of subsidies particularly at a time when we move closer to full employment.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Nonsense. Not true and not true in the polls. Did the Tories make you pay some tax or something?

• Options
    perdix said:

Nonsense. Not true and not true in the polls. Did the Tories make you pay some tax or something?

chortle

is that really the best you can do ?
  • Options
    @TCPoliticalBetting
    Whatever floats your boat, your idea of "full employment" is whatever the Tory spin tells you it is,
    Yes the rules need tightening, but like so many of George's little wheezes, smoke and mirrors are hiding a great deal from the gullible
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

They will have reached this decision after something like four years of having the alternatives argued out in front of them between Miliband and Cameron. If Cameron can't win that debate that isn't the electorate's fault.
This discussion has been closed.