Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why positive poll ratings on economic competence might not

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why positive poll ratings on economic competence might not be enough for the Tories

In the run up to the May elections the George Osborne biographer and FT columnist wrote the following which goes right to the heart of the Tory challenge on economic policy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

Indeed, persistent smearing leaves a stain.
  • Options
    UKPR reports:

"Finally we have another academic election prediction site, joining Steve Fisher’s projection here and Rob Ford, Will Jennings et al’s projection here. The latest addition is from Nick Vivyan, Chris Hanretty & Ben Lauderdale at ElectionForecast.co.uk. As I write Steve is predicting a Conservative lead of 4 points at the next election, producing a hung Parliament with the Conservatives the largest party; Rob and colleagues are predicting a 0.7% Labour lead at the next election; Nick, Ben and Chris are predicting a 1.2% Conservative lead, producing a hung Parliament with Labour the largest party."
  • Options
    Hmm, I always remember hearing during the 80s and early 90s.

"The Tories are heartless bastards, but they know how to run an economy"

The one thing we should remember, in recent times no opposition has ever won a general election whilst trailing on both the economy and leadership ratings

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/12/11/is-it-all-about-leader-ratings-and-the-economic-lead/
  • Options
    Spot on.

There has to be a reason why, in the face of an epically out-of-his-depth Ed, a Labour party bereft of a coherent set of policies and a recovering economy, the Tories are not already home and dry with regards to the outcome of the next election.

Obviously, as they always do, the Tories will blame the BBC, the Guardian, public sector workers, scroungers, charities, lying Labour, perfidious LDs, the EU, irrational UKIPers, stupid voters and a whole heap of others for this. But maybe one day they will have a look at themselves. When they do they could start with how they have reacted to the growth of food banks over recent years.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    J. Ali (@junayed_)
    14/08/2014 18:02
    The best, angriest local newspaper letter you will read today: pic.twitter.com/0qE7IwI6f7

Download the official Twitter app here
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, food banks began during the boom times under Labour and grew even before the crash. The idea they're due to wicked Tories eating babies and setting fire to nuns is entirely wrong.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Spot on.

There has to be a reason why, in the face of an epically out-of-his-depth Ed, a Labour party bereft of a coherent set of policies and a recovering economy, the Tories are not already home and dry with regards to the outcome of the next election.

Obviously, as they always do, the Tories will blame the BBC, the Guardian, public sector workers, scroungers, charities, lying Labour, perfidious LDs, the EU, irrational UKIPers, stupid voters and a whole heap of others for this. But maybe one day they will have a look at themselves. When they do they could start with how they have reacted to the growth of food banks over recent years.

There's probably a simpler explanation. While Ed trails Dave, Dave hasn't got a strong enough leader rating to carry him over the line. He's simply the best of a bad bunch.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,748

Mr. Observer, food banks began during the boom times under Labour and grew even before the crash. The idea they're due to wicked Tories eating babies and setting fire to nuns is entirely wrong.

And of course the wicked Tories allowed Job Centres to tell people about food banks - something sainted Labour blocked them from doing.....

It is a problem - and there is a flaw with the obvious solution - ditching Cameron - he polls better than his party.....

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited August 2014
    I see SO is in pious lecture mode today -urhhh!

anyway next election could be very close in terms of seats. If the tories stay in power somehow by getting more seats than labour it will be a remarkable achievement given the legacy they inherited
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    It is a big picture, little picture problem. Most people, other than the odd loon like Blanchflower, would recognise that Osborne has worked wonders on the big picture give what he started with and what was possible given the international economy.

But what about me? Or any other individual? The vast majority of us have seen declining living standards for years. In addition if you work in the public sector you are still worried about your job as much more serious cuts are planned. There is not a lot to be cheerful about so there is little inclination to give the government much credit.

What Ed has done is skilful but dishonest. He is saying, "well if we are doing so much better and you are no better off where are the gains going? They must all be going to those rich bastards that support the tories."

It is good politics but the truth is that this country was living so far beyond its means in the last government that the situation can improve considerably with no one at all benefitting as we simply close the gap between the fantasy and the reality.
  • Options

The one thing we should remember, in recent times no opposition has ever won a general election whilst trailing on both the economy and leadership ratings

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/12/11/is-it-all-about-leader-ratings-and-the-economic-lead/

But hitherto TSE you've been consistently expressing the belief, despite your personal preference, that Labour would win the most seats at the 2015 GE, steadfastly refusing, like OGH, to place any credence in Stephen Fisher's projections.
    Are you starting to change your mind?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    On the other hand quite why anyone should believe metropolitan millionaire Ed gives a shit about the less well off than Dave does is beyond me.

Same mould.
  • Options

UKPR reports:

"Finally we have another academic election prediction site, joining Steve Fisher’s projection here and Rob Ford, Will Jennings et al’s projection here. The latest addition is from Nick Vivyan, Chris Hanretty & Ben Lauderdale at ElectionForecast.co.uk. As I write Steve is predicting a Conservative lead of 4 points at the next election, producing a hung Parliament with the Conservatives the largest party; Rob and colleagues are predicting a 0.7% Labour lead at the next election; Nick, Ben and Chris are predicting a 1.2% Conservative lead, producing a hung Parliament with Labour the largest party."

I agree with Nick! deja vu all over again.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SouthamObserver

'When they do they could start with how they have reacted to the growth of food banks over recent years.'

Labour crashes the economy and then pretend to be outraged when the use of food banks,which started to grow when they were still in office, increases.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Strong correlation between various economic indicators and polling levels which has been the case for this government so far too. Where is the evidence this is changed apart from some journalist whose background couldn't be further from that of the average British voter. Conservatives most votes but no majority most likely.

Strange article after we have seen crossover now on a number of polls.
  • Options

But hitherto TSE you've been consistently expressing the belief, despite your personal preference, that Labour would win the most seats at the 2015 GE, steadfastly refusing, like OGH, to place any credence in Stephen Fisher's projections.
    I think the Tories leading the popular vote is very likely now.

Have been betting on the Tories to win the popular vote/Lab to win the most seats options for a while.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    edited August 2014
    I blame the BBC, the Guardian, public sector workers, scroungers, charities, lying Labour, perfidious LDs, the EU, irrational UKIPers, stupid voters and a whole heap of others.
  • Options

I blame the BBC, the Guardian, public sector workers, scroungers, charities, lying Labour, perfidious LDs, the EU, irrational UKIPers, stupid voters and a whole heap of others.

For what exactly?
  • Options
    This is another way of saying 'voters can elect elect themselves a welfare state we can't afford'.

The Tories are 'heartless' because they care about the macroeconomics. Genuine fear of going all Argentina/Venezuela/Greece/UKinthe1970s matters more to them than the hardships of those at the bottom of the heap. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Labour are 'nice' because they like to shower the poor and the state with taxpayers' money - until it runs out - and genuinely don't care if they bankrupt us in doing so because it's the 'nasty' Tories who will get the blame when they are elected to sort out the mess. All must have prizes.

In a rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul democracy, Paul can outvote Peter. And so we have a damaging electoral cycle of 'nice profligacy' and 'nasty discipline'. Usually the Tory phase builds enough financial capacity to weather the Labour phase. This time it's a bit different. The scale of the Labour hole in 2010 was not repairable in one parliament (or two). So we run the terrifying prospect of entering a 'nice' phase with a still much too large deficit and debt.

Buy gold. Or vote sensibly.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The biggest potential change to public perception of the Tory brand could have taken place if the Tory party had followed through Osborne's "We are all in it together" as if they meant it.The 2012 Budget which gave away the"tax cuts for millionaires" ended this possibility and through it into reverse,largely through Duncan Smith's actions with the bedroom tax,closure of the ILF,20% cuts in the switch from DLA to PIP ,deaths which have occurred following a WCA assessment finding they were fit for work.
    I said at the time Osborne cutting the 50% rate was political suicide as it completely destroyed
  • Options
    Apparently Russian military vehicles have entered Ukraine:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28798246
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The Right can never outdo the Left in terms of being caring, nurturing, and touchy-feely. And really, there's no point trying.

The Right's appeal to the voters must always be on the basis of being competent, and hard-headed.
  • Options
    Current UKPR Polling Average: Con 33%, Lab 36%, LD 9%, UKIP 12% so little/no change expected in today's GE Seats projection from Stephen Fisher.
    Next week's however could prove interesting should the recent trend to the Blues continue.
  • Options

Take them all out & shoot them...

• Options
    O/T I saw on a previous thread a suggestion that the phrase "on the brew" was a Scottish corruption of "on the burgh" by a poster called @PAW

This sounded phonetically unlikely to me. This site suggests it is a Glasgow corruption of "bureau" as in Employment Bureau: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/91897/im-on-the-brew

I do vaguely recall from my youth that one of the endless iterations of the DWP was the Employment Bureau so this sounds possible but the phrase was as well known and used on the east coast as in Glasgow.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Patrick said:

This is another way of saying 'voters can elect elect themselves a welfare state we can't afford'.

The Tories are 'heartless' because they care about the macroeconomics. Genuine fear of going all Argentina/Venezuela/Greece/UKinthe1970s matters more to them than the hardships of those at the bottom of the heap. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Labour are 'nice' because they like to shower the poor and the state with taxpayers' money - until it runs out - and genuinely don't care if they bankrupt us in doing so because it's the 'nasty' Tories who will get the blame when they are elected to sort out the mess. All must have prizes.

In a rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul democracy, Paul can outvote Peter. And so we have a damaging electoral cycle of 'nice profligacy' and 'nasty discipline'. Usually the Tory phase builds enough financial capacity to weather the Labour phase. This time it's a bit different. The scale of the Labour hole in 2010 was not repairable in one parliament (or two). So we run the terrifying prospect of entering a 'nice' phase with a still much too large deficit and debt.

Very true - most people would rather have the 'pound in their pocket' now and worry about the future later. That is why private pensions are often a hard sell.

Labour loves power and enjoys it and make a big trough for itself and its friends - does not matter to what happens to those outside the trough or those who are not its friends - they can always blame the doctor who has to prescribe nasty medicine to keep the patient alive. Of course Labour and their friends have insulated themselves from any effects or consequences that result from their policies - so they are all right, Ed, Ed, Jack, Tony etc.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

That's a good start ...

Evidence that Labour voters found by polling will turn up at the GE when they haven't been seen since 2005 ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited August 2014
    As if the compound the misery for Europe, UK growth has been uprated from 3.1% YoY to 3.2% YoY, compared to Germany which was downgraded from 1.5% YoY to 0.8% YoY and showed a shock contraction.

We may have issues that need solving concerning productivity, housing and short-termism in management, but SeanT is right, I would rather be here than in Europe.

Construction is also uprated to stagnation from contraction, that will probably be pushed upwards in the final estimate.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    The "cost of living crisis" is good politics being very hard to counter... e.g., the drop in average wages is meaningless for any individual but powerfully underpins the Labour message.

The Tories will rely on a combination of:

- Labour = last financial crash
    - the job's not finished
    - look at France
    - growing take home pay
    - the pension reforms
    - a vote on the EU
    - Ed as prospective PM

My feel is that Labour will need some powerful scare stories to get the vote out and expect them to target women and public sector workers.
  • Options

Have been betting on the Tories to win the popular vote/Lab to win the most seats options for a while.
    This was a good bet at 6/1 (even better when OGH first spotted it at 8/1), but I'm not so sure about Ladbrokes' current odds of 10/3.

• Options
    Patrick said:

I thought the depth of the hole was due to the behaviour of American bankers' speculations. If the Tories are so financially responsible why do State pensions keep going up? How deep does the hole have to get before they're means-tested?

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Sean_F said:

The Right can never outdo the Left in terms of being caring, nurturing, and touchy-feely. And really, there's no point trying.

The Right's appeal to the voters must always be on the basis of being competent, and hard-headed.

The electoral appeal of One-Nation Toryism was to contrast a paternalistic sense of responsibility for the nation as a whole with the Left's class war setting one part of society against another.

It's a massive mistake for the Right to allow the impression to be created that they don't care about those left behind, and that anyone in material difficulties has only their own failings to blame for that.

I don't know how you frame a "Tory knows best" sort of paternalism in an age of pandering to consumer choice, but that sense of the successful having a duty to care for the unsuccessful is at the core of a right-wing ideology that can win a majority. There has to be a genuine sense of philanthropy to replace redistribution, or it will be seen simply as a fig-leaf.
  • Options

This was a good bet at 6/1 (even better when OGH first spotted it at 8/1), but I'm not so sure about Ladbrokes' current odds of 10/3.

The value has gone from that market.

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    edited August 2014
    The present pb system of having to go to the bottom of a thread, then scroll up and then scroll down for each comment during which you have to read the same "blue" comments loads of times is certainly tedious, but I would have expected that people would have realised to whom I was responding with my "Blame" comment whilst the thread is still so short.
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

The "cost of living crisis" is good politics being very hard to counter... e.g., the drop in average wages is meaningless for any individual but powerfully underpins the Labour message.

The Tories will rely on a combination of:

- Labour = last financial crash
    - the job's not finished
    - look at France
    - growing take home pay
    - the pension reforms
    - a vote on the EU
    - Ed as prospective PM

My feel is that Labour will need some powerful scare stories to get the vote out and expect them to target women and public sector workers.

The trouble for Labour is there are now more than a million fewer public sector workers than in 2010. Difficult to believe, but true ...... what in God's name were they all doing?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

The biggest potential change to public perception of the Tory brand could have taken place if the Tory party had followed through Osborne's "We are all in it together" as if they meant it.The 2012 Budget which gave away the"tax cuts for millionaires" ended this possibility and through it into reverse,largely through Duncan Smith's actions with the bedroom tax,closure of the ILF,20% cuts in the switch from DLA to PIP ,deaths which have occurred following a WCA assessment finding they were fit for work.
    I said at the time Osborne cutting the 50% rate was political suicide as it completely destroyed

Given the Tories image issue cutting the 50% rate was not at all smart politically, I agree, as it gives rise to the "tax cuts for millionaires" line. The trouble is my perception would be that lots on the Labour side would want the 50% rate there even if there was overwhelming evidence (and I believe there's a fair bit out there) that it was economically counter productive compared to (say) 40% and produced less actual tax for public spending. Denis Healey, pips squeaking, and all that.
  • Options

Patrick said:

I thought the depth of the hole was due to the behaviour of American bankers' speculations. If the Tories are so financially responsible why do State pensions keep going up? How deep does the hole have to get before they're means-tested?

The fact of the hole has, indeed, alot to do with the US banking sector. The depth of the UK's hole was entirely a factor of Gordonomics. (running a 3% deficit even at the height of the boom and creating huge structural spending commitments. FFS!). Our recession was alot deeper and longer than others. The explosion in our debt position and appalling national finances the deliberate choice of a Labour government.

I believe the Tory instinct is towards financial responsibility. But they need to get elected to deliver it. Catch-22.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @peter_from_putney
    Some were working on flood defences, some in the passport office,some were working in the homecare for the elderly, etc. Some of these people have been paid off and then rehired at lower wages and conditions, while some have pocketed redundancy then been rehired to do the same job, but as private workers.
    In the vast majority of cases though, most on here won't notice any difference because they don't need the services those workers supplied.
    Other peoples experiences may vary.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Oh Mike they're not going to like this
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Sean_F said:

Where would you place 'Help to Buy' politics wise ? Left or ring wing ? It is not something I would have though a Conservative goverment would have introduced. The state becoming involved in helping people buy houses.

Personally I think IDS has caused a lot of damage to the Tory image. Not because he has implemented important changes to the benefits system, but because of the way he has appeared to have done it with zeal. There have been numerous examples of benefits being withdrawn which has led to the death of some people. e.g the ex soldier who starved to death after benefits were withdrawn. If you have a minister who does not care a sh1t about people because they are on a mission, it does not come across very well to fair minded people.

David Cameron not being concerned by the image of the UK having food banks. This would bother most people.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

The electoral appeal of One-Nation Toryism was to contrast a paternalistic sense of responsibility for the nation as a whole with the Left's class war setting one part of society against another.

It's a massive mistake for the Right to allow the impression to be created that they don't care about those left behind, and that anyone in material difficulties has only their own failings to blame for that.

I don't know how you frame a "Tory knows best" sort of paternalism in an age of pandering to consumer choice, but that sense of the successful having a duty to care for the unsuccessful is at the core of a right-wing ideology that can win a majority. There has to be a genuine sense of philanthropy to replace redistribution, or it will be seen simply as a fig-leaf.
    The trope of heartless but efficient Tories vs caring but inompetent Labour is almost a century old. Strange as it may seem, the left said much the same things about Macmillan's government as they say about this one.

How anybody could conclude this is a far-right government is beyond me.
  • Options
    Jim Murphy on Indy Ref.

"At its heart, the referendum choice is between the disruptive risk of change with the Nationalists, versus further devolved change as part of the UK. And at times of turmoil, tumult or disruption there’s one group that is always left paying the bill and it’s those that can least afford it.

No-one disputes that Independence is disruptive change – for Nationalists it’s the very nature of disruptive change of leaving the UK that makes it so appealing. But for working people, the idea of upheaval is less attractive – and that message is coming through loud and clear.

We just need to look at our recent history. There have been three disruptive shocks in my lifetime.

The oil shock of the 70s, which saw prices quadruple, the industrial shock of the 1980s, and the third was the financial shock in 2008 brought about by the global crisis – which of course had it not been for the broader shoulders of the UK, could have wiped out the banks that share Scotland’s name.

Oil: as we saw earlier this year, a collapse in oil revenues would have meant a £4.4 billion cut in the funding for public services in one year

Industrial: we have seen Scotland’s big employers, from Shipyards to Standard Life, raise the prospect of Scotland losing thousands of jobs.

And Financial: the SNP’s lack of a credible currency plan – so brilliantly exposed by Alistair Darling last week – raising the prospect of a fresh period of financial upheaval.

However there are two big differences between independence and the past shocks. First, that this is a Scottish decision with international impacts rather than an international event with Scottish consequences. It would probably be the first ’100% Made in Scotland’ disruptive change of my life.
    And second, major difference is that a vote to leave the UK on September 18th is irreversible. Other shocks were prolonged but not permanent.

And those at risk are the people I call the copers. Those who cope but are only ever one wage packet away from hardship; those who if their fridge or cooker broke down wouldn’t know where to get the money for a new one.

They won’t enjoy the corporation tax cuts Alex Salmond will give to the rich – they’ll endure the spending cuts to public service. As the SNP come under relentless pressure for a Plan B on the economy working class voters are still waiting to hear a Plan A on how they won’t have to foot the independence bill.

The SNP must think these voters’ heads button up the back. But working Scots are pretty straightforward. They ask hard questions. They expect straight answers. They are entitled to know just how much more they would they have to pay to fund the SNP’s dreams. A year ago many of those working class voters were willing to give the SNP the benefit of the doubt. But their patience has run out. And for the SNP so is time."

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/the-scottish-referendum-more-than-a-month-to-go-and-anything-can-happen/
  • Options
    @PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 35 (-2), Con 32 (-1), LD 9 (=), UKIP 14 (+2), Oth 9 (=). Tables here: http://t.co/E1d151pZBr
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014
    Fisher's latest GE seats projection (with changes over the past week):

Con ........ 301 (-2 seats)
    Lab ......... 292 (unchanged)
    LibDem .... 28 (+2 seats)
    Others ...... 29 (unchanged)

Total ...... 650
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

The fact of the hole has, indeed, alot to do with the US banking sector. The depth of the UK's hole was entirely a factor of Gordonomics. (running a 3% deficit even at the height of the boom and creating huge structural spending commitments. FFS!). Our recession was alot deeper and longer than others. The explosion in our debt position and appalling national finances the deliberate choice of a Labour government.

I believe the Tory instinct is towards financial responsibility. But they need to get elected to deliver it. Catch-22.
    If "our recession was a lot deeper and longer than others" why is our economy doing better than those across the Channel? Why are the Tories better at economics than, say, Angela Merkel?

• Options

Fisher's latest GE seats projection:

Con ........ 301
    Lab ......... 292
    LibDem .... 28
    Others ...... 29

Total ...... 650

That's a Parliament that won't last long. Ought to be a betting opportunity somewhere thereabouts...

• Options
    hucks67 said:

Sean_F said:

Where would you place 'Help to Buy' politics wise ? Left or ring wing ? It is not something I would have though a Conservative goverment would have introduced. The state becoming involved in helping people buy houses.
    The state stepping in to resolve failures in the flow of capital is straight out of the Austrian School of economists playbook... read Hayek's works to learn more (Friedrich that is, not Selma).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

And there's the Left's response - an army of public sector employees to administer the means test....

• Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    The reason Cameron nearly won an election is because he nearly pursuaded enough people that his Tories were not the usual nasty b*stards in it for themselves and their rich mates.

Their actions in Government have totally destroyed that, from food banks to flogging our NHS to Tory supporters, brutal benefit cuts to the most vulnerable whilst cutting tax for millionaires.

If Osborne hadn't flatlined a growing economy, borrowed more than Labour did in 13 years, and created a dangerously unbalanced bubble economy to get him through the election, people might have give them enough credit on the economy to overcome all that.

Bending over backwards to please the bankers who caused our economic mess in the first place hasn't helped the Tories either.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Re UK GDP

Where's @BenM when you need him?

Charles bet him £10 last year at evens that UK GDP would be greater than 2%
    I offered BenM 3/2 to try and entice him into another bet, but no joy :-(
  • Options

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

If "our recession was a lot deeper and longer than others" why is our economy doing better than those across the Channel? Why are the Tories better at economics than, say, Angela Merkel?

Our economy is not doing better - in the sense that we only very recently (was it last month?) returned to pre-2008 economic output. Much later than others such as the USA, Canada, Germany. What we do see is that the current pace of growth is higher than theirs as welfare / benefit reform and macroeconomic policy effects finally kick in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I'm always very wary of predictions that depend on a narrow range - in this case a Tory lead of maybe 0-5%. It's fairly easy to foresee either a continuation of the narrow Labour lead (today's Populus is quite good for the Friday version) or a switch one way or the other if someone develops a killer argument. You're betting on a modest twitch.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@peter_from_putney
    Some were working on flood defences, some in the passport office,some were working in the homecare for the elderly, etc. Some of these people have been paid off and then rehired at lower wages and conditions, while some have pocketed redundancy then been rehired to do the same job, but as private workers.
    In the vast majority of cases though, most on here won't notice any difference because they don't need the services those workers supplied.
    Other peoples experiences may vary.

Those ex- public sector workers are probably feeling healthier;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/hr-news/9266687/Public-sector-workers-more-likely-to-take-sickies.html
  • Options

Fisher's latest GE seats projection (with changes over the past week):

Con ........ 301 (-2 seats)
    Lab ......... 292 (unchanged)
    LibDem .... 28 (+2 seats)
    Others ...... 29 (unchanged)

Total ...... 650

I expected the tories to fall below 300 after the ICM on Monday but they have had better figures later in the week.

Nevertheless, as Fisher says:
    "It’s moved a touch away from the Conservatives and towards Labour this week, essentially because of the Tories’ failure to make up ground in the polls as expected by our model."

The clock is ticking for the tories and there is little sign of progress in recent times.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

continued on page 94.
  • Options
    @Innocent_Abroad
    Our recession was deeper because it mainly hit the financial sector, which is the majority of our "economy".
    Our "recovery" at face value is due to the same sector, but still leaves us vulnerable to instability in other markets.
    This type of "recovery" tends to benefit only certain sections of the population, while disadvantaging the rest.
    This is not a major problem, unless events elsewhere cause another dip, because those at the bottom cannot pay for the same mistakes again as they have not recovered from the last one.
    George promised a new economy, but has fallen back on the old "Thatcherite/Blair/Brown" economics.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    The fact that the Tories score well on competence really jars. I think both Lib and Lab need to ask themselves why they've been able to do this. Certainly Labour's attacks since 2010 haven't been sharp enough on the whole. They should have made more ground on the economy and health. As for the Lib Dems, Clegg's differentiation has revolved around fairness - the whole Tories have a head but no heart. At no point has he dared to say that this would have been a less competent government if the Tories had been in power alone. I think you could see Cable's frustration when he talked about the Lib Dems not merely being a nicer version of the Tories. But that is how Clegg wants to play it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 35 (-2), Con 32 (-1), LD 9 (=), UKIP 14 (+2), Oth 9 (=). Tables here: http://t.co/E1d151pZBr

309 UKIP supporters found - the exact same number as the last poll. But 10/10 to vote up from 73% to 79%.

The internals for the Lib Dems are utterly dire.

Not only are they upweighted (Not much this time mind) but 53% 10/10 to vote on an already dire base is really really bad.
  • Options
    Mr. Hugh, you're a silly sausage.

Food banks began (and increased) under Labour. Under the Coalition the trend has simply continued.

Flogging 'our NHS', hmm? What's changed since Labour? Under Labour, I got seen by a very nice private hospital because the NHS couldn't attend to me in sufficient time. I can assure you I wasn't complaining about evil baby-eating Tories buying the NHS.

Brutal benefit cuts? The benefit cap of £26,000 exceeds (after taxes) the average wage, and is well in excess of my income, I can assure you. Why should people earning less than the cap pay taxes which fund a greater income for someone who earns nothing?

Tax cuts for millionaires: you've confused income with wealth.

The flat-lining economy is arguably in the best shape in Europe, although the deficit remains a serious problem. Your borrowing 'argument' neglects the fact that Labour inherited a golden economic legacy and left the Coalition with a crippling deficit. Labour also argued against cuts which were 'too far and too fast'. It's hypocritical and nonsensical to argue against getting the deficit down so fast and then complain it's too large and the debt is increasing too swiftly.

In short, you are ascending the mountain of wrongness armed with the trusty pickaxe of nonsense.

Or, to rephrase in video format:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUttbZcv7WI
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Hugh said:

The reason Cameron nearly won an election is because he nearly pursuaded enough people that his Tories were not the usual nasty b*stards in it for themselves and their rich mates.

Their actions in Government have totally destroyed that, from food banks to flogging our NHS to Tory supporters, brutal benefit cuts to the most vulnerable whilst cutting tax for millionaires.

If Osborne hadn't flatlined a growing economy, borrowed more than Labour did in 13 years, and created a dangerously unbalanced bubble economy to get him through the election, people might have give them enough credit on the economy to overcome all that.

Bending over backwards to please the bankers who caused our economic mess in the first place hasn't helped the Tories either.

Shall we put you down as a maybe?

• Options
    welshowl said:

Given the Tories image issue cutting the 50% rate was not at all smart politically, I agree, as it gives rise to the "tax cuts for millionaires" line. The trouble is my perception would be that lots on the Labour side would want the 50% rate there even if there was overwhelming evidence (and I believe there's a fair bit out there) that it was economically counter productive compared to (say) 40% and produced less actual tax for public spending. Denis Healey, pips squeaking, and all that.
    The economists are blind to the politics.Gordon Brown left this elephant trap for any incoming Tory government and as soon as Osborne said "We are all in this together",through his own actions,turned an elephant trap into a full scene from Indiana Jones and the Tories regressed to became "the party of the rich" again.

• Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    "Under the Coalition the trend has simply continued."
    You missed out "exponentially" from the end of that sentence.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,004
    Financier said:

Jim Murphy on Indy Ref.

"At its heart, the referendum choice is between the disruptive risk of change with the Nationalists, versus further devolved change as part of the UK. And at times of turmoil, tumult or disruption there’s one group that is always left paying the bill and it’s those that can least afford it.

No-one disputes that Independence is disruptive change – for Nationalists it’s the very nature of disruptive change of leaving the UK that makes it so appealing. But for working people, the idea of upheaval is less attractive – and that message is coming through loud and clear.

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/the-scottish-referendum-more-than-a-month-to-go-and-anything-can-happen/

Murphy is a useless trougher. He cannot answer any question put to him. Just his usual verbal diahorrea. He has a cheek to talk about bills given the one him and his cronies stuck on us, we will be paying for his incompetence for at least 100 years.
  • Options

Certainly Labour's attacks since 2010 haven't been sharp enough on the whole.

That's harsh on Hugh and Smarmeron, they are trying hard. The latter even embodies the sharpest of Swiftian satire in his choice of name.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Interesting that the uncertainty range on the Conservative share (+/- 7.4) is so much wider than on the Labour share (+/- 5.5).

This means that Fisher's forecast rules out some Labour shares that they've achieved in the opinion polls within the last month or so - the forecast gives only a 2.5% probability of the Labour share exceeding 38%.

I wouldn't say that I think such a share for Labour is at all likely, but only a 1-in-40 chance? The uncertainty bands on this forecast are certainly narrowing.
  • Options
    Could I ask a favour of everyone here by the way - if you're in a safe Labour or Conservative seat, can you vote Conservative and if you live in Labour targets 1-50 or so vote Labour.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    Pulpstar said:

Could I ask a favour of everyone here by the way - if you're in a safe Labour or Conservative seat, can you vote Conservative and if you live in Labour targets 1-50 or so vote Labour.

I live in a safe Labour seat and will be voting for neither of them... does that help you at all? ;-)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Innocent_Abroad
    Our recession was deeper because it mainly hit the financial sector, which is the majority of our "economy".
    Our "recovery" at face value is due to the same sector, but still leaves us vulnerable to instability in other markets.
    This type of "recovery" tends to benefit only certain sections of the population, while disadvantaging the rest.
    This is not a major problem, unless events elsewhere cause another dip, because those at the bottom cannot pay for the same mistakes again as they have not recovered from the last one.
    George promised a new economy, but has fallen back on the old "Thatcherite/Blair/Brown" economics.

Financial service is around 8% of the UK economy not 'the majority'. (See: https://fullfact.org/factchecks/does_banking_dominate_the_uk_economy-1512)
  • Options

I'm always very wary of predictions that depend on a narrow range - in this case a Tory lead of maybe 0-5%. It's fairly easy to foresee either a continuation of the narrow Labour lead (today's Populus is quite good for the Friday version) or a switch one way or the other if someone develops a killer argument. You're betting on a modest twitch.

The odds are tumbling in my favour though.

From 8/1 to 10/3

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Morris_Dancer
    "Under the Coalition the trend has simply continued."
    You missed out "exponentially" from the end of that sentence.

Do you know what the word 'exponential' means?
  • Options
    @rcs1000
    Semantics.
    from your link:-
    "The economic reach of the banking sector is certainly greater than in any other sector, meaning that the risk inherent in its assets depends to a greater extent on business and household debts. It is therefore fair to argue, as Mr Kirby does, that when the banking system fails as it did in 2007, the impact is such that it can be seen to be the ‘dominant’ economic concern."
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Frankly, if voters really vote on the basis of what Janan Ganesh calls an 'extravagant slander', then God help us. If people don't want good government, they won't get it.

What remains to be seen is whether, when it actually comes to the choice between good government and the two Eds, voters really will choose the latter, as the opinion polls currently suggest they might. It would certainly be a perverse choice, given the fact that the UK is now doing so well and is finally getting round to repairing much of the damage done to education, the welfare system, and above all the economy by the last Labour government. What would make it even more perverse is Labour's total and deliberate refusal to come up with anything resembling a coherent policy platform; even if that does get Ed into No 10, it won't help him actually govern.

Of course voters may be perverse. We shall see in 2015.
  • Options

The flat-lining economy is arguably in the best shape in Europe, although the deficit remains a serious problem.

I don't think you need the word 'arguably' :-)

That said, if you want to be picky, it's quite possible the Irish economy will (slightly) outgrow us this year. You could also point out that Germany has lower unemployment than the UK.

But all things considered, the UK economy is doing pretty well (thank you).

I would like to refer everyone to the GDP forecasts I posted in January of this year, where I was bullish on Ireland, the UK and Spain (all of whom are beating forecasts handily) and bearish on France and Germany (both of which have seen forecasts lowered).

My mea culpa is China, where I predicted the slowdown would continue. It hasn't and seems to be reversing.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Innocent_Abroad

How many of the additional 2 million now in employment do you think work in the financial sector? 1%? Less?

All sectors of our economy are currently growing. Construction, manufacturing and services. Those who are already in work have seen little benefit from the growth. Those looking for work have done much, much better. Kind of the reverse of the conventional wisdom really.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@rcs1000
    Semantics.
    from your link:-
    "The economic reach of the banking sector is certainly greater than in any other sector, meaning that the risk inherent in its assets depends to a greater extent on business and household debts. It is therefore fair to argue, as Mr Kirby does, that when the banking system fails as it did in 2007, the impact is such that it can be seen to be the ‘dominant’ economic concern."

'Majority' means more than 50%.

As with your use of the word 'exponentially', you use language lazily.
  • Options
    As it is the European Athletics Championships in Zurich, in racing parlance, the UK's economy has worked its way from the back of the field (and it's a 10,000m or marathon and not a sprint) to be in contention, but it is handicapped by a gammy knee (the debt) and its lack of training evidenced by a beer belly (the deficit). If it can improve its speed (economic performance) then the beer belly (deficit) will reduce but more surgery is required to eliminate the problem of the gammy knee.
  • Options
    DavidL - everyone but the odd loon like Blanchflower thinks Osborne has done a great job? Seriously, who exactly are you listening to? I now there's the odd zealot like David Smith in the Sunday Times who seems to be a real favourite for Tories on here, but amongst serious economists? I'd suggest he has virtually no support at all.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited August 2014
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

I live in a safe Labour seat and will be voting for neither of them... does that help you at all? ;-)
    I live in a safe Tory seat and I will be voting for neither of them either
  • Options
    I live in a marginal and don't know who I'm going to vote for, or if - indeed - I will be voting.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @DavidL
    Many of those people you mention need help from the state to survive, despite being in full time work. As for the part timers, those on zero hours contracts, and the newly self employed?
    The majority of the latter two are even more heavily dependent. (there were always positive benefits of them for certain sections)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Hugh said:

C+ for effort. Must try harder.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2014

DavidL - everyone but the odd loon like Blanchflower thinks Osborne has done a great job? Seriously, who exactly are you listening to? I now there's the odd zealot like David Smith in the Sunday Times who seems to be a real favourite for Tories on here, but amongst serious economists? I'd suggest he has virtually no support at all.

Have you seen this ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28800141

And this ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11036043/Top-of-the-world-UK-economy-winning-global-growth-race.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Hugh said:

The most deeply unpleasant political party in the UK is Labour. The BNP could get the crown if they ever got power. But they never get near power. Labour however do get power. And when they do get power, they invariably implement their broken business model, which invariably has one result. It hurts the poorest in our society.

The nastiest, most cynical trick to play in politics is to give someone something, knowing it is unsustainable. And then blame the other lot when economic reality is forced to intervene.

It's the only political weapon Labour have had to deploy this Parliament. Meanwhile this Government has pressed on with fixing that which was broken by Labour. And of getting work for the workers. Yet again, we see that Labour - who always leave office with unemployment higher than they inherited - have to be bailed out.

On the growing use of food banks under this Govt. - it's just a damning indictment of how inept Labour was unable to get food to the hungriest. You think as a Tory I am somehow embarrassed at the rise of food banks? Hardly. I just wish it could better incorporate distribution of food that was at its sell by date - food which is otherwise thrown away.

And if you want to see a party of the usual nasty b*stards in it for themselves and their rich mates, I suggest you look no further than the Blair Government.

Hypocrisy oozes out of every word of your post.

• Options
    rcs - have you seen the trade figures? To be fair it's not easy for the UK when our major trading partners are where they are. Current growth seems impressive for UK, but medium to long term looks decidedly dodgy, no?
  • Options
    Osborne repeated his phrase "We are all in this together" in Nov 2012 at the Tory party conference,after his budget for millionaires.Perhaps,his rise up the approval ratings is that he has not said it since then.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2012/oct/08/george-osborne-tory-conference-video
  • Options
    I like to think of the financial and banking sector has having the same effect as when a major employer leaves a small town.

For instance TATA Steel at Port Talbot employs about 3,000 people. How many of the towns population of about 37,000 would be affected by its closure - probably 50%?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2014
    There are more food banks in the socialist paradise of France, run by Ed Miliband's hero and mentor François Hollande, where state spending accounts for around 57% of GDP, than in Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583954/Food-banks-Britons-LEAST-hungry-developed-world-Number-families-say-eat-falls-past-five-years.html
  • Options

Have you seen this ?

And this ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11036043/Top-of-the-world-UK-economy-winning-global-growth-race.html
    It should be blindingly obvious that if someone runs a single fast lap around the track after three slow ones they aren't actually doing that well. We're winning the fatuous 'global race' if you consider 2013 to be year zero. Unfortunately for the coalition they came to power in 2010.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@DavidL
    Many of those people you mention need help from the state to survive, despite being in full time work. As for the part timers, those on zero hours contracts, and the newly self employed?
    The majority of the latter two are even more heavily dependent. (there were always positive benefits of them for certain sections)

Are they better off? Yes they are. The combination of earning and generous (compared to the alternative) in work benefits makes sure they are. 2 million of them. It is a remarkable achievement.

• Options
    Mr. Booth, and in 2010 they inherited running shorts made of sandpaper and trainers that were on fire.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The odds are tumbling in my favour though.

From 8/1 to 10/3

The best way to do this bet right now is to stake £100 at Ladbrokes 4-5 on Con most votes and £100 at William Hills 5-6 (Or £100 11-13 Bwin).

Con Seats, Con Votes Win £80 @ Ladbrokes, Lose £100 @ Hills (£100 @ Bwin)

Net Loss £20

Lab Seats, Lab Votes Lose £16.67 @ Ladbrokes, Hills - a bit less using Bwin.

Con Seats, Lab Votes Win £163.33 (Or £164.62 using Bwin)

Lab Votes, Con Seats is vanishingly unlikely to happen, or if you want to be thorough you can cover your £200 stake by backing Con Seats, Lab votes @ 66-1 with Ladbrokes for £3.03

That takes the potential max loss to £23.03 and the Con Seats, Lab votes to £160.29 which represents odds of 6.96-1. And you have 8.13-1 should Labour "win"

You can tweak it slightly so that you get ~ 7.5-1 about both outcomes though I can't remember the maths to do this.

At any rate this is a damn sight better than taking the 10-3 on Con votes, Lab Seats being offered by Ladbrokes right now !!!!

@TheScreamingEagles *Message, cough*
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @DavidL
    Well, that's two million extra voters who will be putting their X next to the Tory candidate.
    Con maj. nailed on!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:
    The magic money tree is indeed prolific!

How will we make up the budget?
  • Options

Have you seen this ?

And this ?

It should be blindingly obvious that if someone runs a single fast lap around the track after three slow ones they aren't actually doing that well. We're winning the fatuous 'global race' if you consider 2013 to be year zero. Unfortunately for the coalition they came to power in 2010.

I agree with you that the coalition were unfortunate to come into power after 13 years of Labour economic delinquency and with "no money left".
  • Options

Hugh said:

The most deeply unpleasant political party in the UK is Labour. The BNP could get the crown if they ever got power. But they never get near power. Labour however do get power. And when they do get power, they invariably implement their broken business model, which invariably has one result. It hurts the poorest in our society.

The nastiest, most cynical trick to play in politics is to give someone something, knowing it is unsustainable. And then blame the other lot when economic reality is forced to intervene.

It's the only political weapon Labour have had to deploy this Parliament. Meanwhile this Government has pressed on with fixing that which was broken by Labour. And of getting work for the workers. Yet again, we see that Labour - who always leave office with unemployment higher than they inherited - have to be bailed out.

On the growing use of food banks under this Govt. - it's just a damning indictment of how inept Labour was unable to get food to the hungriest. You think as a Tory I am somehow embarrassed at the rise of food banks? Hardly. I just wish it could better incorporate distribution of food that was at its sell by date - food which is otherwise thrown away.

And if you want to see a party of the usual nasty b*stards in it for themselves and their rich mates, I suggest you look no further than the Blair Government.

Hypocrisy oozes out of every word of your post.

If you believe all that, you should also believe that it would be better to criminalise not only the Labour Party but all left-of-centre thinking, whether by individuals or institutions.

But you don't. Because you can't think straight.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Is this the best Friday Populus for Lab for weeks?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    isam said:
    Sounds like a good freeby giveaway, but aren't NHS trusts already in financial straits - who will make up the short fall?
This discussion has been closed.