Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An inconvenient fact for Boris backers is that more people

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An inconvenient fact for Boris backers is that more people tell pollsters they’ll support him than actually give him their vote

For those like me who love watching political battles the ongoing tussle for the Tory leadership between Boris Johnson and George Osborne will be a pleasure to behold.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First again!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Dammit Tim!

How much of this was caused by Boris, as opposed to inaccuracies in the polling in general?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RobD said:

Dammit Tim!

How much of this was caused by Boris, as opposed to inaccuracies in the polling in general?

I think that this highlights the limits of polling contenders with high levels of recognition.

I remember the pro-longed Mayoral count in 2012 and at one stage there was just a possibility that Ken could squeeze it - something that seemed impossible from the polling.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    OGH posting @ 04:44am

I think Mike is moonlighting running a yellow cab service in Bedford ....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The 2012 result for Boris was not great. He really should have won by more given that Ken was a busted flush. In his first win he had a very successful GOTV campaign in parts of London that had not voted in such large numbers before. Last time around there was no question that the very successful GOTV London Labour campaign completely out did him. Luckily enough he was just far enough ahead for it not to matter too much.

In short there are some excuses for the fairly ordinary polling forecasts set out above and one data point does not necessarily justify a generality. Boris can undoubtedly reach parts of the electorate that other tories can't. If he couldn't he would not have won in London in the first place.
  • Options
    Two factors we should be mindful about Boris and the 2012 campaign.

Firstly he was re-elected as a Conservative against the backdrop of the nadir of the Coalition and secondly this re-election took place in London against a popular former mayor.

Boris may undershoot the polls but he wins in difficult circumstances.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Time for a next SNP leader thread ? Eck is taking a pasting from his own side post the debate shambles ..
  • Options

RobD said:

Dammit Tim!

I think that this highlights the limits of polling contenders with high levels of recognition.

I remember the pro-longed Mayoral count in 2012 and at one stage there was just a possibility that Ken could squeeze it - something that seemed impossible from the polling.

If there were not a "celebrity" factor at work in polls but not in polling booths, I think all parties would be courting celebrities a darn sight harder than they do. The rule Tories here and elsewhere need to remember is: "always do what your opponents don't want you to do".
    Is Labour quaking in its boots at the thought of Boris? I doubt it.

In fact I doubt that either Party is quaking in its boots at the thought of the next leader of the any of the others. I'm sure Cammo's polling is due to office (and being prevented from doing anything too ridiculous by the Cleggster). It's an almost eerie state of affairs.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Time for a next SNP leader thread ? Eck is taking a pasting from his own side post the debate shambles ..

Only if you want a day long troll-fest.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    'I wonder whether there’s a strong celebrity factor'

Wouldn't be surprised at all if there was - in the land of dull grey suits, Boris and his blond mop certainly sticks out from the crown. - name recognition, counts for a lot imho.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    SeanT speaks, Obama listens:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11020539/Barack-Obama-approves-airstrikes-in-Iraq.html

Is SeanT the most influential person in the world? Discuss...

*titters*
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Firstly he was re-elected as a Conservative against the backdrop of the nadir of the Coalition and secondly this re-election took place in London against a popular former mayor.

Is it really pro-Boris feeling? Or is it the feeling that it is time for a change of leadership?

Boris was not a notable success when an MP before, and I suspect would be bored by the mundane social work type elements. An outsider dropping in may not endear themselves to the body of MPs who have dealt with the hard grind of constituency work and government. The BOOers and those who want zero immigration would also want to run their own candidate.

It will be a contested election, and the clown prince may not wind up with the crown.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I reckon that we will see a repetition of 79, with major SNP infighting and loss of share. They probably do need to start with a fresh sheet of paper. What is the SNP for, if independence is off the agenda? And Salmond would be the guy who lost it.

The other night he had that exhausted look of a soldier who knows the battle is lost, but not yet over.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning.
    1. Rockets from Gaza again bombarding Israel
    2. Anyone know the full results of all the by-elections held yesterday?
  • Options
    Stephen Fisher's latest projection this morning of 2015 GE seats, based on UKPR's current averaging of the polls showing Lab 36% - Con 33% - LibDem 8% - Others - 23% is as follows (with changes compared with last week's projection):

Con .......... 303 seats (+4 seats)
    Lab .......... 292 seats (- 3 seats)
    LibDem ...... 26 seats (- 2 seats)
    Others ....... 29 seats (+ 1 seat)

Total ........ 650 seats
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602

RobD said:

Dammit Tim!

To be fair to YouGov, they forecast a 6% margin because their final poll counted only those who declared themselves 100% certain to vote. Anthony Wells had said that, had they instead just used a less extreme weighted turnout adjustment, their final poll would have been spot on.
  • Options
    If it was purely down to celebrity Lembit would either be Lib Dem leader or London Mayor.
  • Options

Stephen Fisher's latest projection this morning of 2015 GE seats, based on UKPR's current averaging of the polls showing Lab 36% - Con 33% - LibDem 8% - Others - 23% is as follows (with changes compared with last week's projection):

Total ........ 650 seats

Better numbers for the tories. Does anyone think that 292 Labour +26Lib Dems would be a workable majority if they went into coalition? I can't see a government like that lasting very long, especially if the Lib Dems were then tearing themselves apart with a leadership contest.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Better numbers for the tories. Does anyone think that 292 Labour +26Lib Dems would be a workable majority if they went into coalition? I can't see a government like that lasting very long, especially if the Lib Dems were then tearing themselves apart with a leadership contest.

I can't see those numbers producing a 5-year Parliament.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    "Treat the results with a pinch of salt" is right - any question including named candidates is probably biasing the question towards candidates and away from policies and parties - however:

- Boris still massively outpolled the Conservatives in the simultaneous GLA elections (admittedly, he was up against Ken rather than generic Labour, but even so).

- Was the polling overstatement due to people voting differently from how they said, from people saying they'd vote Boris and then not voting at all, or just polling methodological error? If people lied, then that at least means Boris had the better public perception against Ken. If it was non-voters, then that implies an even bigger pool of potential Boris supporters existed among the low-turnout groups.

A final thought: even if the polling is wrong, it won't be provably so until long after the leadership election has taken place. If there is a leadership election, the important thing would be not whether the polling is in fact accurate but how much stress Tory MPs and party members place on it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

If it was purely down to celebrity Lembit would either be Lib Dem leader or London Mayor.

Time to see what is happening in Europe...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited August 2014
    OT

Whilst listening to Today R4 this morning, to a discussion on Putin's food import sanctions and its effect on countries of the EU, I was surprised at his logic. Why should he wish to harm/put into difficulty the life of his own people, rather than turn down the gas taps and make suffer the people of his tormentors?

Of course all dictators rule by subjecting their people to their will and regularly reminding them of that fact and perhaps Putin is stuck in that mode?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

No, I agree. The five year Parliament provision is likely to prove another piece of constitutional meddling that does not survive the test of time. I really don't see the point of it at all.

• Options

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

I agree. A few leadership elections, then a rematch. Plenty to bet on, but probably not a good period of government.
  • Options

JackW said:

Is it really pro-Boris feeling? Or is it the feeling that it is time for a change of leadership?

Boris was not a notable success when an MP before, and I suspect would be bored by the mundane social work type elements. An outsider dropping in may not endear themselves to the body of MPs who have dealt with the hard grind of constituency work and government. The BOOers and those who want zero immigration would also want to run their own candidate.

It will be a contested election, and the clown prince may not wind up with the crown.
    MPs in marginal constituencies will be primarily interested in which candidate is likely to see them hold their seats, those with ambitions for red boxes will be interested in which can deliver enough gains to return to government.

Boris would also only need to make it to the final two for MPs votes to then not matter further, as the electorate then changes to the party membership.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    My feeling at the time was that Labour's London GOTV is now quite exceptional in Inner London and it was better than last time in Outer London, though still not great there. Boris attracts lots of people who aren't too bothered about politics, and it needs good GOTV to get them out. Tory GOTV is very airwar oriented - phone canvassing, reply-paid envelopes, etc. - as they are quite short of manpower for a broad campaign, though they can certainly do well in a single seat, as we saw in Newark. In highly mobile cities and suburbs, airwar doesn't cut it.

Where Boris would do well is in a "time for a change" atmosphere - the same sort of thing that gave Beppo and his 5 Star movement a surge.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014
    I never thought I'd say this, but Mike you're misreading the opinion polls.

Whilst, the pollsters may have overestimated the Boris lead, they largely got Boris' share of the vote right, and you keep on telling me, to watch the share of the vote, not the lead.

Here's what Boris share of the vote on the first round by the final poll by the pollsters said,

ComRes 45%
    Opinium 43%
    YouGov 43%
    TNS 45%
    Populus 46%
    Survation 42%

Actual result for Boris was 44%.

So, I'd say the polls were accurate for how people intended to vote for Boris.

3 pollsters under estimated Boris' vote, and 3 overestimated his vote.

http://www.ukpolitical.info/london-mayor-election-2012.htm
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

You need 326 for a majority, so they'd be 8 short of a majority.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2014
    DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Fisher's figures completely assume that 2010 LDs will abandon their switch to LAB. No sign of that at all. Totally based on old fashioned (pre 2005) polling trends.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

No, I agree. The five year Parliament provision is likely to prove another piece of constitutional meddling that does not survive the test of time. I really don't see the point of it at all.

Removing the ability of a PM to easily call an election at a favourable time to his or her party is a great step towards unbiasing the political field a little in favour of the government and therefore a Good Thing. Removing most of the speculation about election dates in the final two years of the parliament is also a Good Thing (except for those betting on such matters).

If the result was as speculated, the FTPA would still operate effectively. Chances are that if one government lost a vote of confidence, no other one could be formed and so an election would still result.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

I agree. A few leadership elections, then a rematch. Plenty to bet on, but probably not a good period of government.
    The key provision for the tories would be boundary changes being brought into force before the re-match.

Given that Fisher's figures must be based on a fairly healthy lead in the popular vote I would like to think that the argument for keeping ever more out of date boundaries would be unsustainable but then I would like to be naïve as I think naïve people have happier lives on the whole.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    TGOHF said:

Bollocks
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Fisher's figures completely assume that 2010 LDs will abandon their switch to LAB. No sign of that at all. Totally based on old fashioned polling.

Why does he assume that? Seems rather odd.

Many 2010 LDs are simply going home after discovering a LD vote is not a safe anti-Tory vote.
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

Only if you want a day long troll-fest.

Or arses pontificating
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Bollocks
    Jim Sillars, Dennis Canavan...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TGOHF

'Time for a next SNP leader thread ? Eck is taking a pasting from his own side post the debate shambles ..'

Wee Eck to wee Wreck in less than a week.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Fisher's figures completely assume that 2010 LDs will abandon their switch to LAB. No sign of that at all. Totally based on old fashioned (pre 2005) polling trends.

Mike - are you effectively saying that Stephen Fisher is overstating his figure of 26 seats for the LibDems?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Removing the ability of a PM to easily call an election at a favourable time to his or her party is a great step towards unbiasing the political field a little in favour of the government and therefore a Good Thing. Removing most of the speculation about election dates in the final two years of the parliament is also a Good Thing (except for those betting on such matters).

If the result was as speculated, the FTPA would still operate effectively. Chances are that if one government lost a vote of confidence, no other one could be formed and so an election would still result.
    As so often, I have a good deal of sympathy with your thoughts, David. One other possibility might be a Grand Coalition (to demolish the NHS?) particularly if the polls showed that people preferred that to a fresh election - which might, after all, produce the same result.

Another variable might be if Labour decides it wants 4-year Parliaments. After all, the Yanks live with a 4-year cycle, and we already have some evidence that Governments (again, of any colour) drift n their fifth year of office.

• Options

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Do they? That would be a major weakness if they do because I agree with you about their loyalty to Labour but I wonder if that can be the case.

Surely his projections must largely be based on current polling which for the Lib Dems is truly abysmal. And if he forecasting the Lib Dems losing 31 seats he is not assuming much of a recovery. I would guess something in the region of 12-14%. Present polling reflects that the majority of the departed have gone to Labour so that is also built in.

Where do you think he is going wrong? Do you think that the loyalty of 2010 Lib Dems to Labour simply reduces the scope for the sort of swingback he is assuming? I think there may be something in that but it is difficult to quantify.

• Options

JackW said:

MPs in marginal constituencies will be primarily interested in which candidate is likely to see them hold their seats, those with ambitions for red boxes will be interested in which can deliver enough gains to return to government.

Boris would also only need to make it to the final two for MPs votes to then not matter further, as the electorate then changes to the party membership.
    As we see on the other side of the house, not having majority support of your own MPs is quite a handicap.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2014
    john_zims said:

@TGOHF

'Time for a next SNP leader thread ? Eck is taking a pasting from his own side post the debate shambles ..'

Correction;_ He is taking an eck of a pasting from his own side and the media.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@TGOHF

I suspect that you are right. Which may be quite a distraction in the last month.

Any links to show this?
  • Options
    NO FISU

john_zims said:

@TGOHF

I suspect that you are right. Which may be quite a distraction in the last month.

Any links to show this?
    NO but they were talking about it on Radio 4 lunchtime news.. Even Malcolm G acknowledged the media was against ECk but it was his own side turning on him that was the discussion point I only caught a minute of it but that was the gist
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I am not convinced that historic polling is that imformative. With the passing of time potential voters have begun to see Boris as a serious politician who is capable of dealing with big issues and getting things done. Historically he was always associated with the word 'clown' but that has has become less so of late. His speech on Europe earlier this week was a masterpiece and his ambition to see 'British bus stops in Paris' was most telling.
  • Options
    IDF ‏@IDFSpokesperson 41m
    Since 8:00, over 18 rockets were fired from Gaza at Israel. 2 were intercepted above Ashkelon, 14 hit open areas & 2 landed in Gaza.

Hamas will continue to provoke Israel until she responds and then cry blue murder. Pathetic but effective to biased MSM.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Total ........ 650 seats

We already have some evidence that Governments (again, of any colour) drift n their fifth year of office.

Surely that is because it is their fifth year in office; hence they are simply treading water?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Gadfly said:

I am not convinced that historic polling is that imformative. With the passing of time potential voters have begun to see Boris as a serious politician who is capable of dealing with big issues and getting things done. Historically he was always associated with the word 'clown' but that has has become less so of late. His speech on Europe earlier this week was a masterpiece and his ambition to see 'British bus stops in Paris' was most telling.

And they say you can't do sarcasm on the web. Lovely stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Salmond's line at FMQs was "Its Scotland's pound and we are keeping it." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11018994/Alex-Salmond-declares-its-our-pound-and-were-keeping-it.html

This is because it reflects the sovereign will of the Scottish people apparently. Presumably the sovereign will of the English, Irish and Welsh peoples doesn't matter in this discussion.

It all brings to mind Denis Healey's famous aphorism doesn't it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Salmond's line at FMQs was "Its Scotland's pound and we are keeping it." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11018994/Alex-Salmond-declares-its-our-pound-and-were-keeping-it.html

This is because it reflects the sovereign will of the Scottish people apparently. Presumably the sovereign will of the English, Irish and Welsh peoples doesn't matter in this discussion.

Iff Scotland votes yes, then Rump UK should have a referendum on a currency union.

I'm fairly certain the polling says Rump UK would say no.

So our sovereign will trump yours Alex, 'cause size matters.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Financier said:

OT

Whilst listening to Today R4 this morning, to a discussion on Putin's food import sanctions and its effect on countries of the EU, I was surprised at his logic. Why should he wish to harm/put into difficulty the life of his own people, rather than turn down the gas taps and make suffer the people of his tormentors?

Of course all dictators rule by subjecting their people to their will and regularly reminding them of that fact and perhaps Putin is stuck in that mode?

Russian agriculture can't compete with US chemical industry / agribusiness so he's using the US sanctions as an excuse for a bit of agricultural protectionism.

Plus US food is pumped full of high fructose corn syrup which is basically poison so it's win-win.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Gadfly said:

And they say you can't do sarcasm on the web. Lovely stuff.
    Boris 2 Ken 0 would suggest he is correct.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

DavidL said:

Iff Scotland votes yes, then Rump UK should have a referendum on a currency union.

Interestingly, the guardian seems to have almost the opposite interpretation of what that slogan means: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/07/scotland-pound-independence-alex-salmond

Telegraph thinks it's Salmond trying to throw more weight behind his "this is what's happening, we don't need a plan B" line, Guardian thinks it's a pithy way of saying that plan B is to use the sterling without a currency union.

Honestly I'm not sure whether the vagueness of the slogan is a weakness or a strength

• Options
    Bloody Bleeding hearts

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1m

The Sun Says today: Nick Clegg is right - it's high time for a rethink on our drug laws pic.twitter.com/xTVfAt3peW

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 1m

EXCL: Nick Clegg reveals plan to stop jailing people just for possession of drugs http://bit.ly/1u2SXaq
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Since 8:00, over 18 rockets were fired from Gaza at Israel. 2 were intercepted above Ashkelon, 14 hit open areas & 2 landed in Gaza.

Hamas will continue to provoke Israel until she responds and then cry blue murder. Pathetic but effective to biased MSM.

That can be their only reason for Hamas refusing an extension to the cease-fire. Presumably they put political ambition far, far above humanity to their fellow mankind and especially towards their children.

With the high density population of Gaza, and the location of Hamas' rocket sites, it is nigh impossible to avoid consequential civilian casualties.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Interestingly, the guardian seems to have almost the opposite interpretation of what that slogan means: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/07/scotland-pound-independence-alex-salmond

Telegraph thinks it's Salmond trying to throw more weight behind his "this is what's happening, we don't need a plan B" line, Guardian thinks it's a pithy way of saying that plan B is to use the sterling without a currency union.

Honestly I'm not sure whether the vagueness of the slogan is a weakness or a strength

Neither do I.

The thing I can't work out the SNP/Yes got into this situation, on such a fundamental question, it's not like it wasn't obvious Darling was going to bring this up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

I'm more surprised the ceasefire held for its initial period than Hamas deciding to fire rockets rather than extend it.

Glad the media are finally paying some attention to ISIS/Iraq.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    I do think Betty Boothroyd is right; there ought to be some means of retirement from the House of Lords. The whole business has gone way beyond the ridiculous.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

Total ........ 650 seats

I don't understand this. How can Con have more seats with a lower vote percentage?

• Options
    I thought only Lab could do that.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I'm more surprised the ceasefire held for its initial period than Hamas deciding to fire rockets rather than extend it.

Glad the media are finally paying some attention to ISIS/Iraq.

But still being lapdogs to Hamas and the Palestinians.
    A BBC news announcer to a reporter this morning, "Are you sure that it's Hamas that is firing rockets into Israel this morning?" Really such is the pro arab bias in the BBC that it should rename itself ABC, and you know waht the A stands for.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    On the Boris question: the key will not be how he polls with real electorate, but whether he can get into the run-off that the Party votes on. He will need MPs on board to do that. A lot of the media coverage has indicated how untrusted he is by backbenchers. He has work to do there and will have little time. Osborne has spent years re-organising the party around his web.
  • Options
    A leading economist in the Telegraph agrees with me (and many others) that sterlingisation, as it's been termed, would see financial institutions flee south of the border, if Yes win and there's no currency union:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11019890/Scottish-independence-Keeping-pound-without-currency-union-would-see-banks-relocate.html
  • Options

DavidL said:

Neither do I.

The thing I can't work out the SNP/Yes got into this situation, on such a fundamental question, it's not like it wasn't obvious Darling was going to bring this up.
    Salmond basically brought the wrong rulebook to the debate. He treated it like FMQs or an interview with the news where the golden rules are:
    1) Prefer blatantly evading a question over giving an answer that might make for a damaging soundbite
    2) Sling as much dirt as thick and fast as you can at your opponents and hope that some of it sticks

So he refused to answer that obviously important question, and spent all his time on bringing up old out-of-context quotes which weren't particularly damaging. It made the whole Yes campaign look cheap.

Though it wasn't entirely a matter of just misjudging the one event. The "we don't need to talk about plan B" thing has been looking pretty silly for a while. "They're bluffing!" may be a good campaign position to take, but it's not enough for something so important that so clearly needs a serious policy answer.
  • Options
    Mr. K, the link posted here yesterday from the Times of India was well worth reading (basically, they confirmed Hamas was firing rockets from residential areas and explained why journalists were afraid of reporting that fact).
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

I don't understand this. How can Con have more seats with a lower vote percentage?

The percentages are the current polling average, the seats are predicted. He gives predicted vote share too
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

DavidL said:

Neither do I.

The capacity common among politicians to believe one's own propaganda and be blind and deaf to objective assessment.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

DavidL said:

Neither do I.

Can only conclude that Salmond is delusional and believes what he says will come to pass - or else he is scared stiff of making a change of policy for fear of being seen as weak and indecisive.

Of course people who become very self-deluded and believe in their own grandeur, often end up in the care of people in white coats.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

His projection of swing-back between now and May 2015?
  • Options

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

The percentages are the current polling average, the seats are predicted. He gives predicted vote share too
    And the predicted vote share is higher for Con?

• Options
    Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 7m
    Good read from @wallaceme: When will the anti-war Left start protesting against ISIS and Assad? Add Hamas to the list http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/08/when-will-the-left-start-protesting-against-assad-or-isis.html
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    edited August 2014
    Financier said:

MikeK said:

That can be their only reason for Hamas refusing an extension to the cease-fire. Presumably they put political ambition far, far above humanity to their fellow mankind and especially towards their children.

With the high density population of Gaza, and the location of Hamas' rocket sites, it is nigh impossible to avoid consequential civilian casualties.
    Entirely predictable that if civilian casualties gain support for Hamas or weaken support for Israel in the west then Hamas will make sure they happen again. Milliband needs to realise that playing student politics has consequences...
  • Options

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Bloody hell - Swing-back theory being taking that seriously now??? Kudos to Crosby

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    On the currency union. I can't understand either how they have got into this mess. But I do think it is a bit unfair for everyone to blame Salmond. For a start, Nicola Sturgeon is head of the 'Yes' campaign, and presumably the idea of keeping the pound has had some serious debate within SNP and wider 'yes' groups over the years.

Personally, I don't see the point of having your own country and not having your own currency, or accepting the way most small countries in Europe act and joining the Euro.

I have money on a 'Yes', as I never bet against Salmond, but looks like this time I will be wrong.

• Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Website says predictions are:

Con: 36.0% (±7.4, i.e. 29% – 43%)
    Lab: 32.1% (±5.6, i.e. 27% – 38%)
    LD: 11.8% (±8.3, i.e. 4% – 20%)
  • Options
    Thanks Stereotomy
  • Options
    Or is Fisher using Ed is Crap theory??

Sorry, I guess I should be doing my own research a bit more.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 7m
    Good read from @wallaceme: When will the anti-war Left start protesting against ISIS and Assad? Add Hamas to the list http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/08/when-will-the-left-start-protesting-against-assad-or-isis.html

This gets said a lot and I never quite understand why. Surely the focus on Israel can be explained by the very different attitude the government takes towards Israel compared to, say, ISIS.

• Options
    DM – “Apocalypse ignored: As Gaza grabs the headlines, epic slaughter engulfs the rest of the region. But where are the protests?”

Looks like the Middle East off to Hell in a hand cart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719460/Apocalypse-ignored-As-Gaza-grabs-headlines-epic-slaughter-engulfs-rest-region-But-protests.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Got a message from a CNN journo last night saying all the US News channels were hastily reading my Yazidi piece, and using it as the basis for their reports which then piled pressure on Obama to act.

So basically I have just saved an entire people from genocide.

I'd also like to nominate this as the most ludicrously hubristic comment in the history of pb. I doubt it can be bettered.

Nobel Peace Prize for you.
  • Options
    Marvellous INNIT. The left scream if anyone from the right queries anything about a poll oand what do we see today, lefties dissing Fisher projections....

Hmmmm...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    SeanT said:

Got a message from a CNN journo last night saying all the US News channels were hastily reading my Yazidi piece, and using it as the basis for their reports which then piled pressure on Obama to act.

I'd also like to nominate this as the most ludicrously hubristic comment in the history of pb. I doubt it can be bettered.

Congratulations.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The Nobel peace price is surely "nailed on"

Well it would be if you were black and Palestinian....
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

Financier said:

MikeK said:

Entirely predictable that if civilian casualties gain support for Hamas or weaken support for Israel in the west then Hamas will make sure they happen again. Milliband needs to realise that playing student politics has consequences...
    Such cynicism by Hamas is akin to genocide. Does Hamas (in partnership with Hezbollah and ISIS) want to carve a new/restore an old Islamic crescent from the Mediterranean to the Persian Gulf?
  • Options

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Is there any tracking of how much his +/- bands are narrowing over time ?

• Options
    SeanT said:

Well done - A Pulitzer prize must surely be on the cards?
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Bloody hell - Swing-back theory being taking that seriously now??? Kudos to Crosby

Well swing back is taking place after a fashion.

If you look at the Labour leads have fallen over the last 18 months with a lot of pollsters.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Sort of, graphically:
    http://electionsetc.com/latest-forecast/

• Options
    A Nobel Peace Prize?

I hope not, given what happened after Obama and the EU won theirs.
  • Options

On the currency union. I can't understand either how they have got into this mess. But I do think it is a bit unfair for everyone to blame Salmond. For a start, Nicola Sturgeon is head of the 'Yes' campaign, and presumably the idea of keeping the pound has had some serious debate within SNP and wider 'yes' groups over the years.

Personally, I don't see the point of having your own country and not having your own currency, or accepting the way most small countries in Europe act and joining the Euro.

I have money on a 'Yes', as I never bet against Salmond, but looks like this time I will be wrong.

They thought they could bluff and bluster their way through it .

I wonder if Sturgeon will take over from Eck - she may be tarred with the same brush of poor campaigning and imminent failure.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Bloody Hell.

Your blog may well have saved some lives.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Total ........ 650 seats

Sort of, graphically:
    http://electionsetc.com/latest-forecast/

Thanks - given the gradient of his bands he will still have a sizeable error range next Spring.
  • Options
    http://labourlist.org/2014/08/labourlist-readers-fear-ukip-will-harm-labour-vote/

"At the Estadio Mineirao the Brazilains were booed as they went down 7-1 to Germany. On Tuesday night Salmond was jeered as he couldn’t fend off the reasonable questions from the audience. It must be galling for a nationalist to be booed by an audience of his compatriots.

Maybe for the next debate, Mr Salmond, we can hear a little less about aliens, pandas and rocks melting in the sun. Maybe we could hear a little more about the issues raised with me during my hundred street meetings – things like the pound, pensions and the economy. And while he’s at it, maybe next time the First Minister will listen to the opinions of Scots who do have a vote instead of talking endlessly about a Prime Minister who doesn’t. Just a thought."

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/the-boy-from-banff-played-more-like-brazil-circa-2014-not-1970/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    SeanT said:

Sounds genuinely good to me!

• Options
    Procrastinating (I'll work shortly) and checked the BBC News Channel. Blanket coverage of Pistorius' trial, again. Good job there's not a big news story they should be covering.
  • Options
    @SeanT

You may even have inspired the Mail - not sure if that is kudos?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2719460/Apocalypse-ignored-As-Gaza-grabs-headlines-epic-slaughter-engulfs-rest-region-But-protests.html

"What is so extraordinary is that the voices protesting so vehemently against Israel’s actions remain resolutely silent over this bloodshed which is on a far greater scale than ever took place in Gaza.

Despite the indignation of so many at Israel’s ruthless display of power, the country has gone to great lengths to prevent civilian casualties by using leaflets, text messages and phone calls in Arabic to warn people to leave targeted buildings.

No such niceties were afforded the hundreds of innocent victims of armed militia groups running rampant in Libya and battling for control of its major cities Tripoli and Benghazi. There were a staggering 1,700 of these groups at the last count.

Yesterday, it emerged that 40,000 members of one of Iraq’s oldest minorities have been stranded for days on a mountain in the north-west of the country without food or water.

These people from the Yazidi sect were driven there by Islamist militant group the Islamic State, formerly ISIS. They now have to choose between slaughter at the hands of the Islamic State jihadists waiting for them below, or death by dehydration if they stay on the mountain.

Where are the protests in the West for action to stop their suffering?"
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    SeanT said:

fucks sake Sean, where were you during Rwanda?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    SeanT said:

I "shared" that blog with quite a few people. Really powerful stuff, not surprised that it got picked up by the US networks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Congratulations.
    Hah. Ta. I am not serious of course - it wasn't just my blog - there were other reports, and then all those horrific videos - the MP crying etc.

But I did get that message from the CNN woman so I guess my blog was a factor, in raising awareness.

I may have done one small good thing in my mainly sinful life.
    Well done Sean!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Bollocks
    Jim Sillars, Dennis Canavan...
    Flash, what you don't understand is that YES does not equal SNP, there are several views on many topics around independence. These guys have their views Salmond has his, however they all want a YES vote. Dumb unionist politicians cannot seem to grasp that fact.
This discussion has been closed.