Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A video of one of the key parts of tonight’s Salmond-Darli

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A video of one of the key parts of tonight’s Salmond-Darling debate

This really does get the flavour of the evening.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,971
    Second?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I'm still watching #scotnight - I might click later.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    pic.twitter.com/AW01kiNM7D
  • Options
    Not sure if this will work

twitter.com/amjey1978/status/496572161533169664/photo/1

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2014
    " I want you to contemplate for just one minute that you might be wrong".
    The killer line.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Not sure if this will work

twitter.com/amjey1978/status/496572161533169664/photo/1

Both of them worked.
  • Options
    They're both called Blair! I forgot that (sorry, still #scotnight)
  • Options
    Give in but basically says more about US weazly words condemming Israel whilst sending extra weaponary
  • Options
    It kind of worked the first time BJO - there will be other people like me who know how to get to the image. Embedded images are bad form anyway if that was what you were aiming for.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    O/T - FWIW my blog on Gaza.

http://www.nickpalmer.org.uk/gaza-its-time-to-stop-the-toleration-of-injustice/

The number of constituents who are either Jewish or Muslim is very small, but quite a lot of people are worried about it - certainly more than express any view on Scotland.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

It kind of worked the first time BJO - there will be other people like me who know how to get to the image. Embedded images are bad form anyway if that was what you were aiming for.

Copy and pasting into the address bar is super simple. Anyone who can log into Vanilla can do that (I hope!)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    On ed's bandwagon jumping on Gaza,proberly help labour with the muslim vote,bad news for labour,it's proberly helped George Galloway more in Bradford west.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    On a huge day of Blue on Blue incoming, the missiles have been too many to count. In other news.....
    My election predictor "The Lambert & Butler Election quantifier (Pony Juice derivitive) Southend on Sea schedule with 6,852 runs" now only shows the chance of a Tory Majority at 2,102%, Chance of Tory most seats 2,549%, Chance of Labour most seats 0.00000000000001%, chance of Labour majority 0%. Of course like any good election predictor, there will be one huge effing swing in it's results to whatever the polls say in the last few weeks and I will declare it as being very successful.

Ed is Crap!....Basil is knackered. Onward young squirrel, there is a long way to go.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JBriskin said:

Copy and pasting into the address bar is super simple. Anyone who can log into Vanilla can do that (I hope!)
    Super simple for me - and maybe I was patronising - but if people find things complicated they find things complicated.

Sorry, I'm just blethering, drunk and Darling win happy.

• Options

On a huge day of Blue on Blue incoming, the missiles have been too many to count. In other news.....
    My election predictor "The Lambert & Butler Election quantifier (Pony Juice derivitive) Southend on Sea schedule with 6,852 runs" now only shows the chance of a Tory Majority at 2,102%, Chance of Tory most seats 2,549%, Chance of Labour most seats 0.00000000000001%, chance of Labour majority 0%. Of course like any good election predictor, there will be one huge effing swing in it's results to whatever the polls say in the last few weeks and I will declare it as being very successful.

Ed is Crap!....Basil is knackered. Onward young squirrel, there is a long way to go.

What's the chance of crossover....? *titters*
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

RobD said:

JBriskin said:

Super simple for me - and maybe I was patronising - but if people find things complicated they find things complicated.

Sorry, I'm just blethering, drunk and Darling win happy.

Wasn't an attack at you, it was an attack aimed at people who can't copy/paste! (learn it, it's easy and useful!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

What's the chance of crossover....? *titters*
    Between now and the election....37333733%.....according to PB Hodges everywhere
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    For all I said about voting yes if I were Scottish, I don't warm to Salmond one bit. He comes across terribly evasive in mikes link
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

On ed's bandwagon jumping on Gaza,proberly help labour with the muslim vote,bad news for labour,it's proberly helped George Galloway more in Bradford west.

Do you mean Ed or Nick ?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Well I think he has abandoned the Jewish, what with this and the bacon sarnie incident
  • Options
    Fuck your Blue on Blue 'pouter-

While I admit I must give credence to you Lambert and Butler filter from past experience - I have still got most of a-

PINOT GRIGIO to go.

Amittedly that's not a polling filter - it's just in my fridge - but y'know - Lagershed.

Timestamp - 2300
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

For all I said about voting yes if I were Scottish, I don't warm to Salmond one bit. He comes across terribly evasive in mikes link

He looked well past his best. Tired.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Not sure why Salmond hasn't come up with a plan for his own currency - when push comes to shove it'll get him a better negotiating position for a sterling currency union.

Alistair Darling has done well, a points victory and he was scoring heavy, telling blows in the clip that Mike's linked to. No knockout blow but Salmond was on the ropes there.
  • Options
    "The well-known Tory lobbyist Peter Bingle tweeted: "Is it really true that the PM has appointed Basil Brush to succeed Baroness Warsi? Inspired ..." Harrumph!
  • Options

The number of constituents who are either Jewish or Muslim is very small, but quite a lot of people are worried about it - certainly more than express any view on Scotland.

Bravo.

• Options
    With all this Basil business I'm wondering where AveryLP has got to?
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Fuck your Blue on Blue 'pouter-

While I admit I must give credence to you Lambert and Butler filter from past experience - I have still got most of a-

PINOT GRIGIO to go.

Amittedly that's not a polling filter - it's just in my fridge - but y'know - Lagershed.

Timestamp - 2300

Never underestimate the power of the Lambert & Butler Election quantifier. It has actually moved from a 3,453% chance of a Tory Majority to 2,102% chance so there has been the swingback that PB Hodges everywhere are haning their political foreskin on...........just in the wrong direction.
  • Options
    Interesting debate extract, thanks OGH. Salmond's tactic rests heavily on attacking Darling, rather as though they were rivals for First Minister. Not sure that works in a referendum context.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Do you mean Ed or Nick ?
    I'm sick of backstabbing clegg,I hope Cameron tells him to F... o..

He's right though on selling weapons to Israel,cameron should have brought this up first,now it looks like he's been pushed into it.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited August 2014
    SeanT Previous thread, the Hispanic vote in the US is not a valid comparison, Dubya won over 40% of Hispanics in 2004, but the GOP also polls terribly with Muslims. Only 13% of Pakistani Muslims voted Tory in 2010, compared to 24% of Indian origin. http://www.runnymedetrust.org/uploads/EMBESbriefingFINALx.pdf
    30% of Jews were Tory in 2010 too http://www.brin.ac.uk/news/2010/political-leanings-of-britains-jews/

Hindus and Jews are the voters Cameron needs and he knows it, neither are pro Hamas
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Goodness me. I agree with you entirely, and find myself admiring your principles. I suppose I could add a couple of caveats - e.g. perhaps you don't quite allow enough latitude for the unique Israeli mindset, post Holocaust, which makes Jews unusually and allowably paranoid...

Nevertheless, that is a well judged commentary. If I were a Broxtowe voter I would now find myself in quite a dilemma, vote for the repulsive-but-Tory Soubry, or the Labour-but-decent Palmer?

I'd probably go UKIP.
    Labours tax plans for people like you sean,should bring you back into the tory fold ;-)

• Options
    Silly PB Tories are gonna lose the next election and the one after that if Scotland votes No.
  • Options
    He does ;-)

Everton looking good for this season,your manager is one of the best for me.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Goodness me. I agree with you entirely, and find myself admiring your principles. I suppose I could add a couple of caveats - e.g. perhaps you don't quite allow enough latitude for the unique Israeli mindset, post Holocaust, which makes Jews unusually and allowably paranoid...

Nevertheless, that is a well judged commentary. If I were a Broxtowe voter I would now find myself in quite a dilemma, vote for the repulsive-but-Tory Soubry, or the Labour-but-decent Palmer?

I'd probably go UKIP.
    Agree totally with Sean, I very much doubt I will ever agree with much that Nick Palmer supports, however in this case I am with you 100%.

Brilliant piece.
  • Options

Silly PB Tories are gonna lose the next election and the one after that if Scotland votes No.

I'd rather the UK stay together than scoring some cheap partisan advantages in the upcoming election. Just because something is beneficial to your team, doesn't mean you should support it.
  • Options

Well I think he has abandoned the Jewish, what with this and the bacon sarnie incident
    Don't the Muslims also eschew pork?
  • Options
    NP Gaza will be round again in the next newscycle, we only get 1 chance to save the Union, and happily Darling took it tonight!
  • Options

He does ;-)

Signing Lukaku is a statement of intent, however they should have done more to secure Atsu on loan, he would have done well.
  • Options

Didn't you vote ukip for the euro's and tories council,welcome back to the tory fold sunil ;-)

• Options
    Sunil Well Cameron was PM when the Union was saved if so, and of course Scotland is essentially the only UK region the Tories have increased their voteshare since 2010, I would expect at least 2/3 rural LD seats in Scotland to go Tory next year
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited August 2014
    Anybody know where our Middle East Peace Envoy stands on Israel/Gaza, BTW?
  • Options

He does ;-)

Felling confident for the coming season.....which generally means we will have a mare. Only really confident once in the last decade or so, which resuted in Moyes worst performance as Everton manager and only a Cahill goal at Sunderland away saving him from the sack.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    edited August 2014

Didn't you vote ukip for the euro's and tories council,welcome back to the tory fold sunil ;-)

The editorial team at the Sunil on Sunday are currently hotly debating whether we as a paper should go all out for Scottish Independence. Mystic Smeg predicts that either Yes or No will win the referendum. Film critic pursuivant Mark Commode wants the Union to remain, whereas our proprietor-boss dude Lord Sunil thinks that a strategic "Scottish Withdrawal" from the Union will hurt Labour badly.
  • Options

He does ;-)

Signing Lukaku is a statement of intent, however they should have done more to secure Atsu on loan, he would have done well.
    I have heard the loan fell through due to him going off for the Africa Nations cup*

*not exactly sure....don't even know if he is African to tell the truth.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

Sorry, but did you ever wonder why Gorgeous George has had to keep winning different seats to remain at Westminster? He manages to annoy his own electorate and support team every time while being a great showman on the public stage.

Don't get me wrong, I do admire him but I am aware of his many faults and I certainly wouldn't vote for him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'd rather the UK stay together than scoring some cheap partisan advantages in the upcoming election. Just because something is beneficial to your team, doesn't mean you should support it.
    How does the saying go?

"Be careful what you wish for..."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Anybody know where out Middle East Peace Envoy stands on Israel/Gaza, BTW?

Partying it seems.

'He should be in the Middle East, not the UK': Peace envoy Tony Blair blasted for throwing surprise birthday party for wife Cherie's 60th at their £6million mansion - as Gaza death toll passes 1,050

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2706941/He-Middle-East-not-UK-Peace-envoy-Tony-Blair-blasted-throwing-surprise-birthday-party-wife-Cheries-60th-6million-mansion-Gaza-death-toll-passes-1-000.html

• Options
    Not sure this picture will do Ed any favours, what did he say about photo ops? Still he could make out he thought it was Mel Brooks:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10761625/Ed-Milibands-hope-to-be-Britains-first-Jewish-PM.html
  • Options
    BTW it's a "shoo-in"! (not "shoe-in")
  • Options

BTW it's a "shoo-in"! (not "shoe-in")
    Ah, shoo off!
  • Options

He does ;-)

I have heard the loan fell through due to him going off for the Africa Nations cup*

He is From Ghana, but I heard it was because my lot were worried he wouldn't get much game time.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    GIN1138 said:

Anybody know where our Middle East Peace Envoy stands on Israel/Gaza, BTW?

Doubt the Palestinians can pay him enough to make it worth his while.
  • Options

He does ;-)

He is From Ghana, but I heard it was because my lot were worried he wouldn't get much game time.
    Well if he was pissing off to the Africa Nations, then he wouldn't get much really, unless they were knocked out early. Looks like we are off fishing in another pool for a loanee.
  • Options

Not sure this picture will do Ed any favours, what did he say about photo ops? Still he could make out he thought it was Mel Brooks:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10761625/Ed-Milibands-hope-to-be-Britains-first-Jewish-PM.html

It's good how the telegraph gets a photo of ed and Netanyahu together ;-)

• Options
    RandomRandom Posts: 107
    edited August 2014

Nick, just a couple of thoughts. Firstly, nice of you to acknowledge - briefly, and in passing - that Hamas want to destroy Israel. But couldn't you have also managed to acknowledge their ambitions don't stop there, and that they want to kill every Jew, everywhere? Or would that have have been too much reality for your painfully even handed journey to blaming the Israelis for defending themselves?

And secondly, you describe Hamas missile attacks on Israel as "intermittent". According to wikipedia, the numbers for the last few years are -

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Bearing these numbers in mind - just how many rockets do they have to fire before you're prepared to describe it as "frequent"?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Very interesting. In view of your comment that you want to work for the peaceful two-state solution you will be interested in what the Hamas charter says on this, namely:-

"the Hamas has been looking forward to implement Allah’s promise whatever time it might take. The prophet, prayer and peace be upon him, said: The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them); until the Jews hide behind rocks and trees, which will cry: O Muslim! there is a Jew hiding behind me, come on and kill him! This will not apply to the Gharqad, which is a Jewish tree (cited by Bukhari and Muslim)." and

"[Peace] initiatives, the so-called peaceful solutions, and the international conferences to resolve the Palestinian problem, are all contrary to the beliefs of the Islamic Resistance Movement. For renouncing any part of Palestine means renouncing part of the religion; the nationalism of the Islamic Resistance Movement is part of its faith, the movement educates its members to adhere to its principles and to raise the banner of Allah over their homeland as they fight their Jihad: “Allah is the all-powerful, but most people are not aware.” From time to time a clamoring is voiced, to hold an International Conference in search for a solution to the problem. Some accept the idea, others reject it, for one reason or another, demanding the implementation of this or that condition, as a prerequisite for agreeing to convene the Conference or for participating in it. But the Islamic Resistance Movement, which is aware of the [prospective] parties to this conference, and of their past and present positions towards the problems of the Muslims, does not believe that those conferences are capable of responding to demands, or of restoring rights or doing justice to the oppressed. Those conferences are no more than a means to appoint the nonbelievers as arbitrators in the lands of Islam. Since when did the Unbelievers do justice to the Believers?"

It is worth reading the Hamas charter in full. It is chilling. I'm sure you are genuine in your concern for the innocents killed. But don't be naive.

We sought to intervene in Syria because Assad was an awful dictator doing dreadful things to his people. Then we learnt more about those fighting him and realised that there were groups worse than him and now the clamour from the West to get rid of him has stopped as we realised that ISIS and others would be very worse for the Syrians and for us.

It is easy to criticise Israel and it can be justified but I think that if it is abandoned not only will we have another genocide of Jews on our hands but the plight of Palestinians, Muslim and Christians, will - in the hands of groups like Hamas and others - be even worse than now. Nor will it be any good for us.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    BTW, back to the debate, when Salmond was quoting the "government source" who said "of course the UK will enter into a currency union with an independent Scotland" wasn't that bloody useless Letwin again?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    RobD said:

I agree. Youshould do and support what is right. It is to the credit of the conservatives that even though it would be to their advantage, they do not support an independent scotland - they support the union. We are Great Britain, we are British and should stay so.

A load of pompous pretentious clap trap. Every bit as bandwagon jumping as Miliband.
    Figures from Al jezeera showed that the Palestinian deaths were overwhelmingly bmale of military age.
    You were hardly wringing your hands when Hamas were firing rockets from behind a scrurity wall of women and children
    The only way Israel could avoid being 'disproportionate' was to do the square root of bugger all and sit inder a shower of rockets and raids from tunnels.

And the reason i find you disgusting is that you say -- 'instead of adopting a pose of detached mock-neutrality, we should work actively to promote the two-state solution that most reasonable politicians on all sides has supported for the last 40 years. ' -- what a slimy statement that is -
    - first you ascribe a perjorative meaning to a supposed govt policy which is not the govts policy.
    - second you seek to deny what the govt policy actually is, which in fact a 2 state policy, and the reality of it doing its best to prompote it.
    You totally misrepresent the tories than attack them.
    You are a disgrace, a typical socialist disgrace - no wonder SeanT laps you up.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Cyclefree said:

We sought to intervene in Syria because Assad was an awful dictator doing dreadful things to his people. Then we learnt more about those fighting him and realised that there were groups worse than him and now the clamour from the West to get rid of him has stopped as we realised that ISIS and others would be very worse for the Syrians and for us.

We intervened in Syria because we wanted to overthrow Assad to get an energy pipeline built through there into Europe to bypass Russian energy - Syria is just a pawn in the wider geo-political strategic game. Not as though Mr Cameron informed us of that at the time!
  • Options

He does ;-)

Well if he was pissing off to the Africa Nations, then he wouldn't get much really, unless they were knocked out early. Looks like we are off fishing in another pool for a loanee.
    The ANC is a month at best, it has never stopped big clubs signing African players such as Ya Ya and Essien. Chelsea did not think he would play much at all so pulled the loan.

Agree what was said earlier about Martinez, as well as being a quality manager he seems a really decent bloke too.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Worth remembering that Tony Blair was partly brought down by an Israeli military offensive!

When he supported Israels attack against Lebanon in July 2006 it certainly seemed to be the final straw with a lot of Labour MP's - Brown's "bloodless coup" took place in September 2006, after which Blair was effectively finished.

I doubt Cameron will face similar problems tho...
  • Options
    Random said:

Nick, just a couple of thoughts. Firstly, nice of you to acknowledge - briefly, and in passing - that Hamas want to destroy Israel. But couldn't you have also managed to acknowledge their ambitions don't stop there, and that they want to kill every Jew, everywhere? Or would that have have been too much reality for your painfully even handed journey to blaming the Israelis for defending themselves?

And secondly, you describe Hamas missile attacks on Israel as "intermittent". According to wikipedia, the numbers for the last few years are -

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Bearing these numbers in mind - just how many rockets do they have to fire before you're prepared to describe it as "frequent"?
    Any stats on the no. of Israeli attacks (rockets/tank shells/aerial ordnance) on Gaza?
  • Options

He does ;-)

The ANC is a month at best, it has never stopped big clubs signing African players such as Ya Ya and Essien. Chelsea did not think he would play much at all so pulled the loan.

Agree what was said earlier about Martinez, as well as being a quality manager he seems a really decent bloke too.
    Next England manager ?

• Options

He does ;-)

Next England manager ?

Woooooooo there, we have only just got him. Maybe in 10 years time.
  • Options
    I would not vote for the sort of party that wants to get votes from the kind of people who support organisations such as Hamas.

I did not vote Livingstone because he cosied up to people like that. I would not vote for a Tory party that cosied up to the BNP or to voters who hated blacks or Jews or gays. And I would not vote for a Labour party that cosied up to Islamists. There are certain things that are more important than tax rates.
  • Options

He does ;-)

Next England manager ?

Can he start tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

He does ;-)

But there lies the problem. Teams like Chelsea and City can have players away for a few months. Teams like Everton can't. Do you know how many hubcaps it's going to take to pay off that money we owe you. You do realise we are paying you over 60 years don't you?
  • Options

He does ;-)

Next England manager ?

Can he start tomorrow?
    Jesus wept, less of this talk. It's making me come out in shivers. Fat Sam for Ingurland!
  • Options

He does ;-)

Next England manager ?

Can he start tomorrow?
    Jesus wept, less of this talk. It's making me come out in shivers. Fat Sam for Ingurland!
    No,he's taking over everton when Martinez joins England ;-)
  • Options

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Any stats on the no. of Israeli attacks (rockets/tank shells/aerial ordnance) on Gaza?
    Not off the top of my head. But what relevance does that have to Nick's curious definition of the term "intermittent"?
  • Options
    Random said:

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Not off the top of my head. But what relevance does that have to Nick's curious definition of the term "intermittent"?
    Would you describe Israeli attacks on Gaza as intermittent?
  • Options

He does ;-)

Next England manager ?

Can he start tomorrow?
    No,he's taking over everton when Martinez joins England ;-)
    Right, I'm off to bed. All this rubbish abour Martinez and Ingerlund was bad enough, but to inflict Fat Sam on us. It would cost us half a million for all the high balls landing in Stanley Park.

Basil, turn the light of and mind the nets.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,148
    Debate was a bit meh, Salmond too measured, Darling too shouty. Due to low initial expectations I'd just about give it to Darling on points.
    Slightly puzzled by Graun's post debate ICM that gave the win to Darling, however in the straight indy q they also showed a 4% swing to Yes (Y-47%/N-53%). Would Salmond trouncing Darling have produced a bigger swing?
  • Options
    Cyclefree, Random: It's an odd reading of my piece to suggest that I want to support Hamas, which I twice call an autocratic dictatorship and worse, or abandon Israel. But I disagree with the implicit idea that there is no middle ground between wishing to abandon Israel and accepting an attack of the dimensions and civilian impact that we have just seen. It's ridiculously disproportionate, and I'd say the same if it was conducted by anyone at all. It is possible to have evil enemies and still be wrong.

SeanT, Moniker, Nigel: thanks!

Flightpath: ? We seem to live on different planets, so I'll wish you good night.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I would not vote for the sort of party that wants to get votes from the kind of people who support organisations such as Hamas.

I did not vote Livingstone because he cosied up to people like that. I would not vote for a Tory party that cosied up to the BNP or to voters who hated blacks or Jews or gays. And I would not vote for a Labour party that cosied up to Islamists. There are certain things that are more important than tax rates.

And I would find it quite hard to vote for a party that cannot even BEGIN to condemn the indiscriminate slaughter of children in Gaza.

How difficult is this to understand?
    How difficult is to understand that - yes, the violence is appalling, but there might - just might be less of it if Hamas weren't a bunch of f*cking Nazis committed to the genocide of the Jews, and that therefore we should try and be a tad more even handed when it comes to assigning blame? This sort of thing doesn't tend to happen in the West Bank after all, where Fatah are content with a fairly routine level of anti-Semitism for the region, of the apes and pigs variety.
  • Options

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

A huge number as you know perfectly well Sunil. A number that is probably disproportionate and which has caused destruction and grief. But the reason that some of us point out the attacks it has faced and continues to face is because too many people have been wholly unwilling to accept that Israel has been continuously attacked by people based in Gaza, the land that in 2005 it gave up for peace. Only it gave up the land it had occupied as people wanted it to do and did not get peace back. Possibly the fact that the people on that land promptly voted a lot of genocidal maniacs into office who then cancelled all future elections and killed anyone who opposed them.

Palestinian children are worthy of the West's sentimentalising grief but Israeli children killed are not. Cameron is criticised for not doing something. But the Leader of the Opposition has nothing to say about the rise in attacks on Jews in this country or the fact that people demonstrate in London about "peace" while holding banners saying that Hitler was right, about which there have been plenty of reports in the papers.

Sometimes the choice is between the bad and the truly awful. Too many are willing to to focus on the bad but overlook the crimes of the truly awful.

• Options
    Random said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

And I would find it quite hard to vote for a party that cannot even BEGIN to condemn the indiscriminate slaughter of children in Gaza.

How difficult is to understand that - yes, the violence is appalling, but there might - just might be less of it if Hamas weren't a bunch of f*cking Nazis committed to the genocide of the Jews
    And yet it's Netanyahu who's killed nearly 2000 Palestinians in under a month.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Watched the clip, very strong performance from Darling.

More tellingly the audience were not at all convinced by Salmond's responses.

Assume the people who booed him will "rue the day"?
  • Options
    Doesn't look like Malcs going to appear this side of the dawn. We will have to wait for his morning intervention...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Watched the clip, very strong performance from Darling.

More tellingly the audience were not at all convinced by Salmond's responses.

Assume the people who booed him will "rue the day"?

Probably Labour supporters :)
  • Options

Cyclefree, Random: It's an odd reading of my piece to suggest that I want to support Hamas, which I twice call an autocratic dictatorship and worse, or abandon Israel. But I disagree with the implicit idea that there is no middle ground between wishing to abandon Israel and accepting an attack of the dimensions and civilian impact that we have just seen. It's ridiculously disproportionate, and I'd say the same if it was conducted by anyone at all. It is possible to have evil enemies and still be wrong.

Flightpath: ? We seem to live on different planets, so I'll wish you good night.

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Not hard at all.

And on 4 August Cameron said that it was right to describe the attack on a school in Gaza where children were sheltering "a moral outrage" and told Israel that it was "wrong and illegal" to target civilians.

What he's not prepared to do, though, is let Hamas off the hook.

• Options

Random said:

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Put it this way. This is the monthly breakdown for this year from wikipedia -

Hamas Israel
    January 22 0
    February 9 0
    March 65 1
    April 19 0
    May 4 0
    June 62 0

The data is slightly frustrating as it shows all rocket attacks from Hamas, but only people killed in Israeli response - I'm assuming that given the SeanT thesis that the Israelis are a bunch of merciless baby killers, that most of their attacks are lethal and so the death rate is a reasonable approximation for actual strikes. The data breaks down somewhat for July, when the total for both sides goes off the chart.

This pattern broadly holds for previous years BTW - Israel attempting to ignore a low level of attacks until some sort of psychological threshold is crossed and they go all out. So yes, I would describe it as intermittent, but intense in contrast to the steady drumbeat of Hamas attacks.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Random
    " if Hamas weren't a bunch of f*cking Nazis"

Maybe Hamas should go for the ghetto option, the same as in Warsaw?
    I hear it the idea finds favour with some other countries?
  • Options

Random said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

How difficult is to understand that - yes, the violence is appalling, but there might - just might be less of it if Hamas weren't a bunch of f*cking Nazis committed to the genocide of the Jews
    And yet it's Netanyahu who's killed nearly 2000 Palestinians in under a month.
    So are you saying we should let Hamas off wanting to commit genocide because they haven't proved very good at it? Yet?
  • Options
    Random said:

Random said:

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Hamas Israel
    January 22 0
    February 9 0
    March 65 1
    April 19 0
    May 4 0
    June 62 0

The data is slightly frustrating as it shows all rocket attacks from Hamas, but only people killed in Israeli response - I'm assuming that given the SeanT thesis that the Israelis are a bunch of merciless baby killers, that most of their attacks are lethal and so the death rate is a reasonable approximation for actual strikes. The data breaks down somewhat for July, when the total for both sides goes off the chart.

This pattern broadly holds for previous years BTW - Israel attempting to ignore a low level of attacks until some sort of psychological threshold is crossed and they go all out. So yes, I would describe it as intermittent, but intense in contrast to the steady drumbeat of Hamas attacks.

How many Israelis have been killed by Hamas this year?
    How many Palestinians have been killed by Netanyahu this year?
  • Options

You may well genuinely think that there is middle ground. I'm pointing out to you that the representatives of the Palestinians don't believe in any middle ground, don't want any solution based on it and don't want Western interference. So how the hell do you think that such a solution is going to happen?

You are, I feel, naive about who Hamas are and what they want to do. I am troubled by the very aggressive stance Israel is taking - not least because it is counterproductive - but in the choice between Israel, for all its faults, and Islamists such as Hamas I am most definitely not on the side of the Islamists. They are the enemy of the West and of all the liberal, democratic and free world values that I hold dear.

• Options

Random said:

Random said:

Random said:

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Hamas Israel
    January 22 0
    February 9 0
    March 65 1
    April 19 0
    May 4 0
    June 62 0

So what do you want: fewer Palestinians killed? Or more Jews killed?
  • Options

Hamas Israel
    January 22 0
    February 9 0
    March 65 1
    April 19 0
    May 4 0
    June 62 0

I'll repeat as you seem to have missed it -

So are you saying we should let Hamas off wanting to commit genocide because they haven't proved very good at it? Yet?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Random said:

Random said:

Random said:

y for your painfully even handed journey to blaming the Israelis for defending themselves?

2008 - 1575
    2009 - 569
    2010 - 152
    2011 - 419
    2012 - 2221
    2013 - 52
    2014 (so far) - 3055

Hamas Israel
    January 22 0
    February 9 0
    March 65 1
    April 19 0
    May 4 0
    June 62 0

So what do you want: fewer Palestinians killed? Or more Jews killed?
    Just asking you to consider who's perpetrated more killings.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    edited August 2014
    Random said:

I'll repeat as you seem to have missed it -

Just asking you to consider who's perpetrated more killings.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

You may well genuinely think that there is middle ground. I'm pointing out to you that the representatives of the Palestinians don't believe in any middle ground, don't want any solution based on it and don't want Western interference. So how the hell do you think that such a solution is going to happen?

I pretty much agree with your view of Hamas. But Hamas are not the only representatives of Palestinians, merely the ones who've come out on top in Gaza at the moment. Give Gazans a reasonable alternative and it's more likely one can find people willing to do a deal than by charging in and shooting everyone in sight. At thw moment, the more reasonable Palestinians like Abbas are not being given much to show for their willingness to talk.

Anyway, early flight tomorrow, so I'll call it a night. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Deleted. Time for bed.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

You are, I feel, naive about who Hamas are and what they want to do. I am troubled by the very aggressive stance Israel is taking - not least because it is counterproductive - but in the choice between Israel, for all its faults, and Islamists such as Hamas I am most definitely not on the side of the Islamists. They are the enemy of the West and of all the liberal, democratic and free world values that I hold dear.

How often does this have to be said. With so many Jewish/Israeli leaders and thinkers now openly calling for the extermination or ethnic cleansing of ALL Gazans there now seems to be little difference, to us in the west, between Zionism and Hamas/Fatah. Indeed about the only difference is that it's Israel which seems to be doing all the extermination of kids, at the moment.

Capisce?
    If you stop to think about it, there's much in common between Judaism and Islam.

Consider:

Circumcision
    Fear of Pork and other dietary codes
    Writing from right to left
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Without a doubt Mr Palmer we live on different planets - and you are welcome to yours. Planet Sanctimony. Planet Opportunist. Planet TwistTheTruth.
    What were those words again? 'adopting' 'pose' 'mock' 'neutrality' - shameful words which bear no relation to the govts stance - yet its you that pontificates from your moral high horse. What a sham. Vote for you? Don't make me laugh.

Well said cyclefree for reminding SeanT about how totally bogus his words are.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

How often does this have to be said. With so many Jewish/Israeli leaders and thinkers now openly calling for the extermination or ethnic cleansing of ALL Gazans there now seems to be little difference, to us in the west, between Zionism and Hamas/Fatah. Indeed about the only difference is that it's Israel which seems to be doing all the extermination of kids, at the moment.

Capisce?
    If you think there is no difference between Islamists and Israel where, as you well know, there have been peace demonstrations by people appalled by the policy of the current government, then there is little more to be said. This is moral relativism of the worst kind.

I have in previous threads condemned unreservedly those in Israel who talk in the ways you have described. And there are plenty of people in Israel who have equally condemned this.

There is no-one that I am aware of within the Hamas leadership or in Fatah or in ISIS or in Islamic Jihad or in Hizbollah which has condemned the clearly expressed desire of those organisations to kill every Jew not just in Palestine but everywhere in the world.

Islamists are the enemy of freedom and liberal democracy, whether in the Middle East or the West. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way. But there we are.

Off to bed now. Thanks all for the debate.

• Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    I believe there is an analogy and something to be learnt from what went on between the Provo-IRA and UK and what we see now between Hamas and Israel. I don't remember the UK destroying the Bogside in the hope of achieving some sort of peace? It doesn't work like that. There will become a time when future leaders of both factions decide that there is more to be gained from cohabitation rather than confrontation. Unfortunately the time may not be now nor even next year but one day that will have to happen. In the meantime counting the bodies on either side, as if that justifies any of what we have witnessed, seems pointless. The rest of the World will have to wait until the necessary leaders for both sides are in power (and hopefully nudge both participants in that direction).
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Off to bed now. Thanks all for the debate.

Lahaim!
  • Options

RobD said:

I agree. Youshould do and support what is right. It is to the credit of the conservatives that even though it would be to their advantage, they do not support an independent scotland - they support the union. We are Great Britain, we are British and should stay so.

A load of pompous pretentious clap trap. Every bit as bandwagon jumping as Miliband.
    Figures from Al jezeera showed that the Palestinian deaths were overwhelmingly bmale of military age.
    You were hardly wringing your hands when Hamas were firing rockets from behind a scrurity wall of women and children
    The only way Israel could avoid being 'disproportionate' was to do the square root of bugger all and sit inder a shower of rockets and raids from tunnels.

And the reason i find you disgusting is that you say -- 'instead of adopting a pose of detached mock-neutrality, we should work actively to promote the two-state solution that most reasonable politicians on all sides has supported for the last 40 years. ' -- what a slimy statement that is -
    - first you ascribe a perjorative meaning to a supposed govt policy which is not the govts policy.
    - second you seek to deny what the govt policy actually is, which in fact a 2 state policy, and the reality of it doing its best to prompote it.
    You totally misrepresent the tories than attack them.
    You are a disgrace, a typical socialist disgrace - no wonder SeanT laps you up.
    No the real disgrace is people like you who defend Israel no matter what they do and try to pretend they are interested in any sort of viable Palestinian state. They are not.

If you really want to know what Israel thinks of the Two state solution look at what they are doing in the West Bank - which incidently has done its best to abide by the peace plan and has been thoroughly screwed over for it. The land grabs and new settlements make a mockery of any claims Israel might have that they want a viable Palestinian state. They don't.

Your defence of the murder of hundreds of innocent civilians by indiscriminate shelling and your attempts to pretend it is not happening is sickening and proves what a disgusting individual you are.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    edited August 2014
    Cyclefree said:

Palestinian children are worthy of the West's sentimentalising grief but Israeli children killed are not.

Cyclefree - Your comment is nauseating. Why do you use the word "sentimentalising "? How many Palestinian children have been killed? How many Israeli children have been killed? Do you not realise how callous you sound?
This discussion has been closed.