Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Why not relax, and converse into the night on the day’s events in PB NightHawks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tim_B said:

First?

Disqualified for want of certainty.

FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    How many genuine swing voters are out there I wonder
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Second?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited August 2014
    and lol @ #11.. it should have read "Salmond advised to avoid being 'tired and emotional' in debate" ;)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    woody662 said:

Since Plato left we're down to zero on pbc.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    7. No kidding.

11. Fantastic stuff, how did that one slip through?

1. It shouldn't have taken this long for Tories to start worrying about this, although in fairness I don't know what they can do about it, as tacking right is unlikely to do enough either.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    1 It's OK. Swingback always happens. Always. Inevitable.

And when the Tories really start to attack Ed it'll be devastating. We got a taste of it today with wreaths. Crossover is coming. Still.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Crossover is coming.

Where have you been? Crossover happened.
  • Options
    Neil said:

woody662 said:

Although the IQ average has increased.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Nice to see that you are sticking with the ad hominem attacks...
  • Options
    Doubts cast over David Cameron completing full term if re-elected

Past experience suggests that burn-out occurs after around 7 years. If the Tories were to win the GE next year there is some good value in selecting his successor as there are probably no more than 3 or 4 credible candidates each of whose odds are enhanced by that no-hoper favourite Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Hmmm - bitter and mysogonistic - reminiscent of a poster from the past who invariably reserved much venom for Plato.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2014
    Sod it. Does it really matter?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

How would you know, you weren't here when she was commenting?
    Caught out,I think ;-)

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

What a sad and nasty little comment.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
    FPT / PeterInPutney:

IMO Stephen Fisher is absolutely right to say the Tories have the best chance of being the largest party. He's also correct to put the Tories' chances of failing to win a majority at about 75%.

Maybe I'd put that slightly higher at about 80%.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and with minutes to go, are we looking at a silly YouGov Labour lead or is it squeaky bum time all round!
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    Let me delurk and say that, for the record, the site is much more readable without Plato.

That is all.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    felix said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Hmmm - bitter and mysogonistic - reminiscent of a poster from the past who invariably reserved much venom for Plato.
    tim was intelligent, well-informed and funny and didn't like Plato. So that's one thing he shares with "Hugh", who would do well to steer clear of topics like IQ after the great NHS live birth rate debate.

• Options
    Monty said:

Let me delurk and say that, for the record, the site is much more readable without Plato.

That is all.

Again - what a noble comment about a poster rarely here to defend herself.
  • Options
    felix said:

Monty said:

That is all.

Yep, and that makes the site more readable.
  • Options
    That Guardian article (15) is complete and utter balls. And that is being generous. Simon Jenkins proves once again what a soulless tosser he is.
  • Options
    15. There is a point there, although I would not put it so strongly or see it with so much worry.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Well work had to intrude. What happened with the wreath debacle? Were the culprits identified?
  • Options
    Monty said:

felix said:

Monty said:

That is all.

I think back to lurking might be your best option after that.
  • Options

Evening all and with minutes to go, are we looking at a silly YouGov Labour lead or is it squeaky bum time all round!

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I'm looking for a "Black Monday" (for the Tories) Labour lead of 4%.
  • Options
    10. No he doesn't, though it would be very very handy to do so. It's just part of the preparations so that no matter how well he does, it won't well enough. Efforts will of course be on hand to ensure that no matter how badly, it won't be bad enough of course.
  • Options
    I liked both Tim and Plato, but was tired of the will they/ won't they shtick by the end.
  • Options
    felix said:

Monty said:

felix said:

Monty said:

That is all.

I'm also glad the endless spats with Tim no longer happen.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

felix said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

tim was intelligent, well-informed and funny and didn't like Plato. So that's one thing he shares with "Hugh", who would do well to steer clear of topics like IQ after the great NHS live birth rate debate.

Tim was nasty, vicious and malicious and reduced at least 2 female PBers to tears on the phone to me because of his horrible, very personal attacks on them. He is undoubtedly intelligent and on some subjects very well informed. He also rarely referred to someone without his comment being ill-tempered or deeply insulting.
  • Options

I liked both Tim and Plato, but was tired of the will they/ won't they shtick by the end.

Just makes it all the better in the end.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    If WW1 hadn't happened how long would the Ottoman Empire have lasted? Its involvement led to massacre of Armenians, expulsion of Greeks from Asia Minor 1922, population exchanges or ethnic cleansing. Loss of provinces which formed Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Palestine, Jordan, Arabia, most of the Gulf.
  • Options
    Monty said:

felix said:

Monty said:

felix said:

Monty said:

That is all.

I'm also glad the endless spats with Tim no longer happen.
    Although 'Hugh' seems to want to resurrect them in her absentia. Funny that.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    #14 - Ebola has infected public discourse with a new xenophobia.

Astonished to find the above article linked to CIF of the Guardian….
  • Options

Well work had to intrude. What happened with the wreath debacle? Were the culprits identified?

Yes.

It was Plato in the flower shop with the black marker pen.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited August 2014

Past experience suggests that burn-out occurs after around 7 years. If the Tories were to win the GE next year there is some good value in selecting his successor as there are probably no more than 3 or 4 credible candidates each of whose odds are enhanced by that no-hoper favourite Boris Johnson.

"Past experience suggests that burn-out occurs after around 7 years."
    Lovely! Just in time to renege once again on his promised EU referendum, as he resigns and slips from view. Remember this was Cameron's personal promise as PM if he was re-elected; not a Tory Party promise.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is exactly what he would do if re-elected: the man's a snake. However I'm looking more to a hung parliament; bringing a new election within 6 months, or more likely the formation of a National Government, much as we had in the 1930's.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If WW1 hadn't happened how long would the Ottoman Empire have lasted? Its involvement led to massacre of Armenians, expulsion of Greeks from Asia Minor 1922, population exchanges or ethnic cleansing. Loss of provinces which formed Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Palestine, Jordan, Arabia, most of the Gulf.

To be honest for Turkey WW1 had already been going on for a couple of years before the rest of Europe even turned up. The Balkan Wars of 1912 and 1913 had already dealt some severe defeats on them and had set the stage for WW1. By the time the war started I am not sure the Turks would have noticed much changing.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

felix said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Tim was nasty, vicious and malicious and reduced at least 2 female PBers to tears on the phone to me because of his horrible, very personal attacks on them. He is undoubtedly intelligent and on some subjects very well informed. He also rarely referred to someone without his comment being ill-tempered or deeply insulting.
    Much of that is also true, though his malice was more often retaliatory than not. i agree that he was at his nastiest with women posters. But identifying him with someone as profoundly thick as Hugh (I wouldn't usually say that, but he has put IQ disparagement in play this evening) is laughable.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Ishmael_X said:

felix said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Otoh, it wasn't tim who drove snowflake off the site.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Also Boris Johnson would never have been born given that his great grandfather's assassination was wrapped up in the fall of the Ottoman Empire
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    SeanT said:

Talking of awful wars, I have this horrible feeling that the Middle East will eventually come down to a kind of Hate-Filled Nations Celebrity Death Match: ISIS versus Israel. The Grand Final.

It's weird how much of the previously far-fetched-sounding Bin Laden plan is coming off. Hijacking planes with a couple of dozen guys and a budget of maybe a million dollars somehow results in a US reaction that in turn results in a militant transnational Sunni religious government.
  • Options
    Christ one little comment about a barely missed or liked former poster and PBTories go into meltdown.

Cultist oddballs.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    1. Has always been THE question.

2. Millibands a useless article. Tell us something we didn't already know.

3. "Ditto"

4. Probably, but he shouldn't be.

5. Ah, but both side's will claim "the center" has shifted their way.

6. Gove had to be moved to allow education to simmer down. It was a smart move ultimately.

7. You have to know when to get out and leave folks wanting more.

8. Clegg who?

9. Politicians will never please the public. Period.

10. If recent rumours are true Alex will be the one on the floor. Three bottles of finest malt around him...

11. Do people still read newspapers?

12. Did Clegg REALLY get rid of Jeremy Browne for Norman Baker? I mean really?

13. Who cares about the East Coast Mainline?

14. Newspapers and the telly are hysterical about Ebola. Everybody else just shrugs and get's on with their lives.

15. We will remember them.

16. Britain and Germany should have reached an accommodation that was beneficial to one another's Empires (and stuffed France)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

FPT / PeterInPutney:

IMO Stephen Fisher is absolutely right to say the Tories have the best chance of being the largest party. He's also correct to put the Tories' chances of failing to win a majority at about 75%.

With respect, a 25% chance (or even a 20% chance) is not the same as having *quote* virtually no hope of winning a majority *unquote*.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Remember this was Cameron's personal promise as PM if he was re-elected; not a Tory Party promise.

You dont think it will make the manifesto?

ps I regret mentioning the P word, if I'd known how much tension was still simmering out there I'd have let it pass.
  • Options
    I hate driving through Edinburgh in August. What is it about tourists that just wander out into the road?! Add in the feckin trams and Princes st/Charlotte sq. is a feckin car-park.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

5. Ah, but both side's will claim "the center" has shifted their way.

11. Do people still read newspapers?

12. Did Clegg REALLY get rid of Jeremy Browne for Norman Baker? I mean really?

5.Indeed. Overall they might get less than 35 each come election day ( I suspect Labour will creep over that though), but it will be presented as a fundamental shift to the left.

11. They read newspaper websites.

12. One of the more baffling decisions seen as time goes on.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Cultist oddballs.

Surely an appropriate choice of name for your next PB reincarnation.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    thing is, we need an informed leftie on here. There is just not the quality anymore since "he" left.

God knows what his day job was but he certainly did his homework and was incisive with his analysis.

As to his spats/insults, we're all grown up and on the internet so I don't think anyone should get too precious about it.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @DaemonBarber
    The idea is to chill and let it all go by. Or time your journey so that you miss the worst of it.
    LWB Merc Sprinter twice a week in the city centre teaches you that (or the trip to the coronary department).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

FPT / PeterInPutney:

With respect, a 25% chance (or even a 20% chance) is not the same as having *quote* virtually no hope of winning a majority *unquote*.
    Try playing a videogame with random chance generation. Everyone knows 25% means no chance, although as Terry Pratchett once told us, one in a million chances occur all the time (paraphrase).

In fairness, your point is valid, a;though perhaps it just feels like there is virtually no hope in such a scenario, which can become self fulfilling if enough come to believe it.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

That is all.

Plato, like all of us, had her virtues and vices. Even if she did, occasionally, say some fairly dumb things. Even if the cats got quite annoying - I still miss her indefatigable nature and her updates on DVDs and her often disarming honesty.

I miss her, the same way I miss tim, who, for all his waspish, bitter and fairly unsavoury personality, was really quite astute. If only he could return in some new incarnation!

Ah well.

*sigh*
    Without doubt, tim had one of the best betting brains on the site. It would be interesting to have the opportunity to pick his brains as regards the best value political bets currently available.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    SeanT said:

Talking of awful wars, I have this horrible feeling that the Middle East will eventually come down to a kind of Hate-Filled Nations Celebrity Death Match: ISIS versus Israel. The Grand Final.

Naturally, despite its grievous crimes, I hope Israel prevails and wins against the truly Satanic evil of ISIS. Yet I suspect they will probably destroy each other.

This will never happen. ISIS will do what KSA tell them to do. And Israel, KSA, and America (and us but what do we matter) are aligned. We're with the baddies!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

"Past experience suggests that burn-out occurs after around 7 years."
    Lovely! Just in time to renege once again on his promised EU referendum, as he resigns and slips from view. Remember this was Cameron's personal promise as PM if he was re-elected; not a Tory Party promise.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is exactly what he would do if re-elected: the man's a snake. However I'm looking more to a hung parliament; bringing a new election within 6 months, or more likely the formation of a National Government, much as we had in the 1930's.
    That possible scenario hadn't occurred to me, but you just might be right!

• Options
    TOPPING said:

thing is, we need an informed leftie on here. There is just not the quality anymore since "he" left.

God knows what his day job was but he certainly did his homework and was incisive with his analysis.

As to his spats/insults, we're all grown up and on the internet so I don't think anyone should get too precious about it.

The trouble is that any left wing comment is attacked from so many sides on here that you need to devote a lot of time to reply to the posts. Nobody has that much time. Apart from Tim it would seem.

Those of us with day jobs can only dream of spending so much time on here.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@DaemonBarber
    The idea is to chill and let it all go by. Or time your journey so that you miss the worst of it.
    LWB Merc Sprinter twice a week in the city centre teaches you that (or the trip to the coronary department).

I live in Leith and work in Livingston. No choice. Ferry Rd is one seemingly perpetual set of roadworks.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Interesting (& unexpected) piece from the outgoing CE of Hills:

'The big gamble for Scotland is staying in the union
    By Ralph Topping'

http://tinyurl.com/qbep2hb
  • Options
    Neil, at least you didn't mention the farmers' market.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Christ one little comment about a barely missed or liked former poster and PBTories go into meltdown.

Cultist oddballs.

If I set up a site poll to establish which of the two of you is better liked, what odds would you offer me on Plato?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    SeanT said:

Watching the BBC coverage of the WW1 thingy.

Worth noting that London looks f*cking amazing at night, these days. Like a better, older, more storied and more surreal version of NYC or Hong Kong.

I'm always really puzzled when in London why Trafalgar Square isn't floodlit at night. It strikes me as a really wasted opportunity.
  • Options
    @DaemonBarber
    You just had to mention Ferry Road didn't you!
    *shakes uncontrollably, and reaches for the tranquilizers*
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

By Ralph Topping'

Not content with running the nations football into the ground now he wants to do the whole country ?
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1. I miss and Plato and her pussy's.

2. Tim gave me the greatest afternoon's entertainment on PB when he had his meltdown after El Gord's encounter with Mrs Duffy!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%

• Options
    I personally think we have some very erudite, likeable lefties on PB. Although I hope he is not re-elected next year, I like NPXMP. SO is always a pleasure to debate with as is Socrates, Roger and some others. The great joy of PB is that there is such a broad range of members who debate strongly and in most cases politely.
  • Options
    Having missed touch typing for advanced "lose your fingers" in metalwork, there will now be a one hour recess to avoid me trying to type by a single candle light.
    Keep up the good work lads....pip pip and all that.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    YG - LAB 347 CON 262 LD 15 (UKPR)

Ed is crap is PM 9 months and 3 days to go.
  • Options
    "God knows what his day job was"

Farmer and Wine Connoisseur/Merchant surely.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@DaemonBarber
    You just had to mention Ferry Road didn't you!
    *shakes uncontrollably, and reaches for the tranquilizers*

I don't understand why the same stretch of road keeps getting dug-up!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

By Ralph Topping'

Not content with running the nations football into the ground now he wants to do the whole country ?
    Tbf quite a few ****ers had a hand in that.
  • Options
    BritainElects ‏@britainelects 1m

We shall not publish tonight's YouGov poll until the morning. We intend on including the Greens from now on.

Almost inevitable that the Greens will outpoll the Lib Dems at the next election, Ashcroft, like opinium showed the Greens only 2% behind the Yellow Peril
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    GIN1138 said:

1. I miss and Plato and her pussy's.

2. Tim gave me the greatest afternoon's entertainment on PB when he had his meltdown after El Gord's encounter with Mrs Duffy!

Tim was funny and witty if rather repetitive.

I found Plato rather unpleasant - site is much better without her trolling 24/7.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date

I think it's safe to say that their numbers at the GE will be at the lower end of the projections at this point. That their polling is still getting worse this close to the GE seems like it would put off significant numbers from engaging in tactical voting. 10-13% I'd guess.
  • Options

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date: CON 34%, LAB 38%, LD 6%, UKIP 13%

All the teachers are in Provence for the holidays ?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    Smarmeron said:

Having missed touch typing for advanced "lose your fingers" in metalwork, there will now be a one hour recess to avoid me trying to type by a single candle light.

I bet Twisted Fire Stopper is on call. Who decided it would be a good idea to commemorate the start of WW1 by encouraging people to burn their houses down?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014
    I think there maybe a YouGov poll on the indyref on the Times tonight.

Edit: Scrap that, the article is talking about recent polling.
  • Options
    I remember my father - born in 1902 and thus too young for ww1 and too old for ww2 - telling me that he would go back to his school for the autumn term and in the chapel see the names of boys he knew who had left that summer already on the 'in memoriam' roll.

He pointed out that the dead from ww1 almost always exceeded the dead from ww2 on village war memorials.

I remember as a kid growing up in the 50s and early 60s the conspicuous lack of elder males.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Being smug about their unfunded final salary pensions that are costing you an arm and a leg!

Rory is world number 1 again, probably would have made team GB after all ;)

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    As I mentioned on the previous thread, I'm looking for a "Black Monday" (for the Tories) Labour lead of 4%

Peter from Putney spot on
  • Options

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I'm looking for a "Black Monday" (for the Tories) Labour lead of 4%.
    Bow before me, I say bow before me!

• Options
    edited August 2014

As I mentioned on the previous thread, I'm looking for a "Black Monday" (for the Tories) Labour lead of 4%

You gov combined Lab/Con total of 72 - Ashcroft had 63% - significant ?

Edit - yougov was 73% on Sunday, Com res last week on 60%...
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

I bet Twisted Fire Stopper is on call. Who decided it would be a good idea to commemorate the start of WW1 by encouraging people to burn their houses down?

Toss up between Frankie Firestarter Maude and Ollie Letwin.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Neil said:

woody662 said:

I've voted Conservative, ukip, Lib Dem and Greens in my time.

Really can't see myself voting Labour though.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Lib Dems on 6 points, equalling their lowest score to date

I think it's safe to say that their numbers at the GE will be at the lower end of the projections at this point. That their polling is still getting worse this close to the GE seems like it would put off significant numbers from engaging in tactical voting. 10-13% I'd guess.
    LD will still outpoll UKIP at GE15
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Being smug about their unfunded final salary pensions that are costing you an arm and a leg!

Rory is world number 1 again, probably would have made team GB after all ;)

But Tiger withdrawing with back problems is the deathknell of swingback :-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

You gov combined Lab/Con total of 72 - Ashcroft had 63% - significant ?
    63% is closer to what the big two polled in the last election.

69% in 2005.

If the Lib Dems are going to collapse, you'd expect it to be around 70%
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Floater said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

I've voted Labour (1997) Lib-Dem (2005) and Conservative (2010)

• Options

If you think polls are predictions, "will be PM" is the tense to go for. If you think they are counterfactuals, go with "would be".

Oh, and

9 11 11 9 9 8 7 6 5 6 7 6 6 6 4 4 3 4 3, if you like extrapolations.
  • Options

Bow before me, I say bow before me!

Says a lot that a 4% lead for Labour seems black for the Tories.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

If you think polls are predictions, "will be PM" is the tense to go for. If you think they are counterfactuals, go with "would be".

Oh, and

9 11 11 9 9 8 7 6 5 6 7 6 6 6 4 4 3 4 3, if you like extrapolations.
    Yeah it's swingback! It's happening! Really happening! Thwap thwap thwap
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    felix said:

Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

I had much the same thought.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Hugh and tim and poss. volcanopete.. it only a difference of a few consonants.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Floater said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

I've voted Labour (1997) Lib-Dem (2005) and Conservative (2010)

I've voted Tory 1979-2014 and expect to vote for nothing else if I live to be 120.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Hugh said:

Neil said:

woody662 said:

Quite obviously you never met Plato
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I personally think we have some very erudite, likeable lefties on PB. Although I hope he is not re-elected next year, I like NPXMP. SO is always a pleasure to debate with as is Socrates, Roger and some others. The great joy of PB is that there is such a broad range of members who debate strongly and in most cases politely.

I like NPXMP. If I was in Broxtowe I could see myself being a Tory For Palmer! People's personalities do come out on here over time and I think Nick is a nice person.

Generally I like the folks who make me laugh like TSE and Sunil and JackW, and I'm not so keen on the one's who get bitchy, nasty and rant and rave - I do like SeanT and his rants though.

Sean could get away with his "put-downs" because he was funny with it, but most people don't pull it off.

99% of people on here are cool actually.

#grouphug
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Tim_B said:

I remember my father - born in 1902 and thus too young for ww1 and too old for ww2 - telling me that he would go back to his school for the autumn term and in the chapel see the names of boys he knew who had left that summer already on the 'in memoriam' roll.

He pointed out that the dead from ww1 almost always exceeded the dead from ww2 on village war memorials.

I remember as a kid growing up in the 50s and early 60s the conspicuous lack of elder males.

I also remember going on holiday with my parents and meeting widows with young children.
This discussion has been closed.