Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr Rentoul might not like this but the polling shows that E

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mr Rentoul might not like this but the polling shows that Ed Milband has a special appeal to 2010 LD-LAB switchers

“My view, and this cannot be based on opinion polls, is that when the voters come to choose they will shy away from the prospect of Miliband as prime minister, just as they shied away from Neil Kinnock in 1992.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    First, up to 25% of them could be at risk to Labour (c. 1.5-2.0% of the electorate, I think). That's potentially up to a 4.0% swing to the Tories, although in practice it will be less as many will abstain/vote LD rather than vote Tory

Secondly, it all depends on where they are. If they are in the SW it could ironically help the Tories. I haven't seen any polling data on this, but instinctively the sense of betrayal would make greatest sense if they were fundamentally Labour voters who had lent their votes to the LibDems for tactical reasons (i.e. because they saw the LibDems as equivalent to Labour, but with a better chance of winning). If those voters shift back to Labour then the Tories could *gain* a bunch of seats as a result
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    I think Charles has a good point, BUT, since those Lab/LD’s in the SW will have thought about their vote are they not likely to do as many Labour voters did after Iraq; vote the way they’ve done before, albeit with considerable personal reservations?

What is surprising to me is that there appears be no Tory>LD shift in those seats ....... eg Burnley, Hornsey & Wood Green ........ where a LD hold will reduce the chance of a Lab majority.

Unless no-one’s done the polling!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2014
    Special appeal as a stand up comic? After all they loved Lembit.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    I think we might be overlooking something here. One of the columns is labelled "Prefer DC to EM"; the next one is labelled "Want EdM as PM". These are not quite the same thing.

I for my part would prefer Cameron to Miliband; that does not mean that I want to see him as prime minister. It is just a matter of the lesser of the two evils.

It may be that these former LD voters prefer Miliband to Cameron. But do they really want to see him in No. 10?
  • Options
    I think it's generally accepted that the Tories will gain seats from the LibDems next time, although whether there's been enough interest in this for Shadsy to offer prices I know not.

But this doesn't matter to the Labour leadership, who simply need to consolidate their ABC1 vote (a stereotype might be a graduate non-white who is the grandchild of immigrants). More of a problem for them is to get their "lumpen" vote out - it'll vote Labour if it votes at all, but at each election less of it votes and more of it never has voted. These voters are why Labour needs to fight a good "ground war" & always puts energy into trying to do so.

I agree with Charles that much of the 2010 LibDem vote was "fundamentally Labour" but the reason wasn't always, or even principally, tactical. Much of it was a principled reaction to the sense that the Party - which had, after all, been in office for over twice as long as it ever had been before - had lost its way. It was also, I suspect, the fact that a Scottish (or Welsh) leader doesn't play in England (was that why the Tories lost way back in 1964?).

Leftist voters, pretty much by definition, expect a lot of government, and they may well expect more than it can provide no matter what it does.
  • Options

I think Charles has a good point, BUT, since those Lab/LD’s in the SW will have thought about their vote are they not likely to do as many Labour voters did after Iraq; vote the way they’ve done before, albeit with considerable personal reservations?

What is surprising to me is that there appears be no Tory>LD shift in those seats ....... eg Burnley, Hornsey & Wood Green ........ where a LD hold will reduce the chance of a Lab majority.

OGH should be able to make a stab on the basis of Ashcroft's numbers. How many such seats are there?

• Options
    "Ed Miliband has a special appeal to 2010 LD-Lab switchers"

This tells you all you need to know about that demographic.
  • Options

But if that's the case then Labour has gained even fewer votes from elsewhere (or it has been offset by losses). i.e. if Labour is "really" on 34% because 2% of its polling support will actually vote LD in the elections then where are the missing votes coming from? Presumably either they are losing more core WWC to UKIP, or they just aren't making headway in the marginals?
  • Options
    I suspect that there’s a lot of churn between the voting intentions we’re getting and "what people voted last time", "won’t vote this” and “haven’t voted for years"
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

But if that's the case then Labour has gained even fewer votes from elsewhere (or it has been offset by losses). i.e. if Labour is "really" on 34% because 2% of its polling support will actually vote LD in the elections then where are the missing votes coming from? Presumably either they are losing more core WWC to UKIP, or they just aren't making headway in the marginals?
    It is quite simple. Labour has gained about 8-10% net of the 23% LD votes [ average 9% ] and lost about 4-5% net to UKIP/Green.

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%

I suspect it will broadly remain the same in GE2015 except, perhaps, the 9% may come down to 6-7% because of CON-LD marginals and also Labour's own ground game with limit the leakage to UKIP/Green to about 2-3 %.

Labour will win virtually all the Lab-LD marginals and, perhaps, a bit more than that.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Patrick said:

"Ed Miliband has a special appeal to 2010 LD-Lab switchers"

This tells you all you need to know about that demographic.

Yes, they prefer their PM to have a brain.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

It is quite simple. Labour has gained about 8-10% net of the 23% LD votes [ average 9% ] and lost about 4-5% net to UKIP/Green.

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%
    But then you get the point that OKC made - that there are some LD who are saying Labour but intend to vote LD.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%
    But then you get the point that OKC made - that there are some LD who are saying Labour but intend to vote LD.
    My next post addressed that point. For example, I am extremely angry with the Yellows because they went to bed with the Blues.

I am a Labour supporter. But I live in Surbiton. Do I waste my vote or do I help elect a non Tory candidate which would indirectly [ by keeping number of Tory MPs down ] help to achieve a Labour majority ? The logic is inescapable.

Many voters in the SW probably will do the same except those who do not eat and drink politics might be so pissed off with the LD's that they will vote Labour / Green regardless of consequences.

• Options
    Morning all!

I am currently away on holiday but have been keeping an occasional eye on PB through my phone.

Yesterday I noticed some discussion about how to watch tomorrow's TV debate regarding Scottish Independence. I have a Freesat box with me and spent some time trying to add STV as an additional channel but couldn't get this to work as expected.

Eventually it dawned on me that the easiest workaround was to put the box through its initial installation process but using a Glaswegian postcode. This worked a treat (using G1 1YU which is the Premiere Inn postcode) and I now have STV HD as channel 119.

I am confident that the same process will work using a Freeview box.

Apols if somebody has already proposed this solution.

If Plato is about I plan to Gmail her later today.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%
    My next post addressed that point. For example, I am extremely angry with the Yellows because they went to bed with the Blues.

I am a Labour supporter. But I live in Surbiton. Do I waste my vote or do I help elect a non Tory candidate which would indirectly [ by keeping number of Tory MPs down ] help to achieve a Labour majority ? The logic is inescapable.

Many voters in the SW probably will do the same except those who do not eat and drink politics might be so pissed off with the LD's that they will vote Labour / Green regardless of consequences.

That's where I struggle: I think that most "tactical voters" in the SW weren't political obsessives who really thought about things. Instead, they viewed the LD as broadly left-wing & with the soft-pedal by Labour & the aggressive targeting by the LD they ended up voting LD. Will they really be as receptive this time? Even if only 10-20% vote Labour, that will make a huge difference
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    surbiton said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%

Nick Clegg basically has the same political opinions as Ken Clarke and thus has a clear preference for the Conservatives, I don't see why Labour voter's didn't and don't understand this.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The Tories are not going to shed too many tears for Lib Dems in Lib Dem/Labour marginals. The seats that matter for them are seats like Nick's Broxtowe where there is a significant Lib Dem vote that is likely to fall disproportionately to Labour and help them win the seat back from the Tories.

I think it is inevitable that there will be some seats like this and that their loss makes a Conservative majority extremely unlikely and largest party problematic. The only way that the Tories can offset this loss is by winning 2010 Labour voters from Labour. They would of course only need half as many of these to offset the effect but the polling to date indicates that these are thin on the ground.

Of course this is on current polling. If the Labour vote continues its gentle decline and if the 2010 Lib Dem voters remain loyal some of the 2010 Labour voters are up for grabs. I just think they are more likely to go to UKIP or green than blue.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    False Flag equates Nick Clegg with Ken Clarke, and him with the Conservative Party.

The only problem is that most hard-line Tories hate Ken Clarke, even more than they hate Nick Clegg.

So the logic breaks down. Perhaps some of the Labour-inclined in Lib Dem seats do realise that.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Far be it for little old moi to point out to our revered OGH but the blindingly obvious contrast is that Rentoul looks to next May whereas OGH contorts over current polling that will be chip paper tomorrow.

Some PBer .... I forget who .... made a pile of cash some years back by looking ahead at an outsider few had heard of, let alone regarded and piecing together a puzzle that eventually made this individual in January 2009 the President of the United States.

I wonder what happened to that PBer ....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

The Tories are not going to shed too many tears for Lib Dems in Lib Dem/Labour marginals. The seats that matter for them are seats like Nick's Broxtowe where there is a significant Lib Dem vote that is likely to fall disproportionately to Labour and help them win the seat back from the Tories.

I think it is inevitable that there will be some seats like this and that their loss makes a Conservative majority extremely unlikely and largest party problematic. The only way that the Tories can offset this loss is by winning 2010 Labour voters from Labour. They would of course only need half as many of these to offset the effect but the polling to date indicates that these are thin on the ground.

Of course this is on current polling. If the Labour vote continues its gentle decline and if the 2010 Lib Dem voters remain loyal some of the 2010 Labour voters are up for grabs. I just think they are more likely to go to UKIP or green than blue.

Potential Lab-Con switchers are not going to be won over by Tories banging on about Europe and immigration, more likely repelled by that approach.

Following that statement of the bleeding obvious, off to work.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

False Flag equates Nick Clegg with Ken Clarke, and him with the Conservative Party.

The only problem is that most hard-line Tories hate Ken Clarke, even more than they hate Nick Clegg.

So the logic breaks down. Perhaps some of the Labour-inclined in Lib Dem seats do realise that.

No, most conservatives view it a tragedy Ken has a blind spot over Europe, hate is more a preserve of the left than right.

I can't imagine Clegg going into coalition with the Labour, the question is how orientated are the Lib rump?

Let's also not forget many 2010 Lib voters have gone UKIP or Conservative, albeit not in the same numbers I presume.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

One of the reasons for "bias" in the system is that Tories almost never do tactical voting but anti-Tories do. My guess is that come polling day this will be the same again.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

DavidL said:

Potential Lab-Con switchers are not going to be won over by Tories banging on about Europe and immigration, more likely repelled by that approach.

I agree and the consequences for Tory policies and campaigning are obvious. Can Cameron hold the party together as he implements them?

Tories of previous generations were focussed on winning above all else. The last two generations....not so much.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Here's another blindingly obvious point: these switchers switched to labour under ed Miliband or (if they switched prior to his election) to labour which might be under ed Miliband. He is fully priced in to their support for labour. If you hope for the Rentoul effect your best hope is for the "I usually vote labour but under Miliband? Naah" vote and for the currently undecided vote. So Ashcroft's finding is neither surprising, not a killer point.
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

Charles said:

29% + 9% - 4% = 34%

That's where I struggle: I think that most "tactical voters" in the SW weren't political obsessives who really thought about things. Instead, they viewed the LD as broadly left-wing & with the soft-pedal by Labour & the aggressive targeting by the LD they ended up voting LD. Will they really be as receptive this time? Even if only 10-20% vote Labour, that will make a huge difference
    Labour is not soft pedaling in Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. For the first time in decades, they have a full time organisor. The idea is more long term. Convert those anti Tory vote to Labour.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Seems to be working for UKIP. Lower middle class and respectable working class are very susceptible to this approach. Bizarre assertion. Cameron inadvertently attracted this voter to some extent last time despite his poor campaign strategy of targetting Guardian readers.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning and here we go again on the so called Red Liberals. They are not LibDems. They are Labour voters who loaned their vote to Labour in 2005/2010 because they had fallen out with Blair and didn't like Brown.

Will they vote next year? Who knows. Personally I suspect Labour is pinning too much on them and meanwhile it's non Guardian reading traditional voters will bugger off to UKIP.

In the many former Tory seats where these people helped the LibDems in, if they do return to their Labour roots, we will see a nice clutch of Tory gains. In Tory v Labour marginal, it is up to the local Tory candidates and sitting MPs to fight a tough campaign and establish their right to be elected/re-elected.
  • Options
    Meant loaned their vote to the LibDems of course!!
  • Options

One of the reasons for "bias" in the system is that Tories almost never do tactical voting but anti-Tories do. My guess is that come polling day this will be the same again.

Doesn’t say much for the political acumen of the average Tory!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Isn't this rather obvious?

"Men who leave their wives say they want a divorce."
  • Options

OGH is correct, Tories believe in what the party stands for through thick and thin. We do not do tactical voting. Hence in Scotland even when being a Tory was akin to having the plague, 300,000+ still voted Tory. In 2010 that had risen to 412,000 and a good chance that will reach 500,000 next year.
  • Options
    Thing is this voter group is particularly toxic, policies to attract this group will alienate more than it attracts. One can already see this in Labour's confused and contradictory announcements on immigration and the EU.

Still anything that speeds up Labour loss of their formerly core WWC base is to be welcomed.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

OGH is correct, Tories believe in what the party stands for through thick and thin. We do not do tactical voting. Hence in Scotland even when being a Tory was akin to having the plague, 300,000+ still voted Tory. In 2010 that had risen to 412,000 and a good chance that will reach 500,000 next year.
    One of the reasons i'm pro independence is that it may eventually lead to a more balanced left/right spectrum in Scotland.
    I have more reasons, but this is one of them...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The averaged July YouGov 2010 splits show that the LDs lost about 32% of their 2010 vote to LAB, 14% to Cons, 10% to UKIP and 10% to Green.
  • Options

One of the reasons i'm pro independence is that it may eventually lead to a more balanced left/right spectrum in Scotland.
    I would share your aspirations - but I think you have to steel yourself to the fact that an independent Scotland would be a lefty utopia for a long time. Or at least until reality strikes.
  • Options
    The forthcoming European banking asset quality review - or stress tests to you and I - will be the sector's "last chance" to prove its credibility, former Bank of England Governor Mervyn King has told CNBC in the wake of the rescue of Portuguese bank Banco Espirito Santo yesterday:"What will be disappointing is if the review comes up with very reassuring answers about the banking system that markets clearly don't believe."

BBC News Business Tracker
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Good morning, everyone.

Isn't this rather obvious?

"Men who leave their wives say they want a divorce."

Sure. But the point, to take your analogy, is that this group think divorce is a GOOD IDEA. They look forward to it, they actively prefer it to the current position. They even feel more strongly that people who are currently single already. So the Rentoul theory that they'll say "Euuu, a divorce, I didn't quite mean that" is unlikely to work.

I made this point at least a year ago. The LD->Lab switchers are actually the strongest link, one of the most politically motivated sectors of the electorate who would ROFL if you suggested they'd be deterred by Ed eating a bacon butty. The issue, as Charles says, is making sure that the traditional oh-I-suppose-so sector of the Labour vote actually bothers as much as its Tory counterpart. I'm reasonably confident that, in marginals, they will.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

Can't disagree. I think it takes quite some knowledge of and interest in the political landscape in your constituency to even begin to think of voting tactically; most Tories simply can't be doing with it.

They vote for who they want to win and that's that.

And then of course whine and moan about it when the result doesn't go their way...
  • Options
    The Threat of the Hand of Putin moving the Taps to OFF

"Homeowners in Europe are more worried about energy bills than paying the rent or mortgage, a survey suggests.

The finding comes as part of research by Europe's largest DIY retail group, Kingfisher.

Kingfisher, which operates as B&Q in the UK, surveyed 17,000 households in nine European countries.

"There is a staggering increase in the number of people who intend to prioritise energy efficiency," said Kingfisher boss Sir Ian Cheshire.

"It is soaring bills that is driving this agenda."

The survey of attitudes to home improvement is a snapshot of how Europeans view their home. And it seems we're not that different from our continental neighbours.

More than three quarters (77%) of Europeans surveyed said their homes needed adapting to meet changing family needs
    some 22% said they needed to create more space
    and 46% of people have, or would like, a home office.

But the biggest priority in the home is improving energy efficiency. Almost a third (31%) said they intended to introduce measures to cut their energy bills. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28608574
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

How many unwinnable-for-the-Tories seats are there where they have a large enough vote to be able to help Labour lose were they to vote tactically?
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, but isn't that also unsurprising?

There's been lots of lefty tactical voting, and the Lib Dems have always tried to ride two horses. When they had to pick one they were bound to upset a significant number of their supporters, even without the unnecessary cockup over tuition fees.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Don't under estimate a sizeable chunk of the electorate who vote tactically for the Lib Dems, because they don't want the Tories in government. I am one of these people and I vote LD because they generally represent my views. However, I don't like Nick Cleggs leadership taking them to the right, but will still vote for them, because I don't want the Tory candidate being elected. If I lived in a Labour area or where they could win, I would vote Labour.

Some of this stems from ( apologies in advance) Margaret Thatcher and the way her government acted during the 1980's. To say that I disliked Thatcher would be an under statement. I think in 1992 John Major enjoyed extra votes from some, as he was a symbol of getting rid of Thatcher. Neil Kinnock made a massive error in celebrating victory before election day and The Sun headline did not help.

People can keep trying to write off Ed Miliband and say nasty things about him, but the British public have shown previously that they will back someone if they show the right spirit, willing to fight back. While Ed was in government during the Brown period, he does not have the baggage of having worked for Blair during the Iraq period. If the Tories make the mistake of making personal attacks, rather than concentrate on Labours economic policies, they will see Ed entering Downing Street with a majority.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Good morning and here we go again on the so called Red Liberals. They are not LibDems. They are Labour voters who loaned their vote to Labour in 2005/2010 because they had fallen out with Blair and didn't like Brown.

Will they vote next year? Who knows. Personally I suspect Labour is pinning too much on them and meanwhile it's non Guardian reading traditional voters will bugger off to UKIP.

In the many former Tory seats where these people helped the LibDems in, if they do return to their Labour roots, we will see a nice clutch of Tory gains. In Tory v Labour marginal, it is up to the local Tory candidates and sitting MPs to fight a tough campaign and establish their right to be elected/re-elected.

The question is, will they be disappointed by the LDs performance? Perhaps not. They have been the restraining influence on the nasty party and I'm sure we'll hear about all the nice, polar bear-friendly measures they have managed to force through in the teeth of opposition by the Cons.

If EdM represents the kind of true-left leader they've been missing since the days of yore then they will return. If they realise that not much has changed since 2010 personnel-wise and that the room for EdM to manoeuvre is limited fiscally, they might stay where they are.

The battleground is whether voters believe Lab can make the recovery broad-based so that "I feel it also". But the Cons will be able to fight on this ground, not only as events continue to take place in the run-up to GE2015 but the budget might make an appeal to many people's wallets which might keep them onside.

(Note: not the "big wallets" of yesterday evening, mind: they're already in the bag for the Cons.)
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited August 2014

I think it's generally accepted that the Tories will gain seats from the LibDems next time, although whether there's been enough interest in this for Shadsy to offer prices I know not.

... I suspect, the fact that a Scottish (or Welsh) leader doesn't play in England (was that why the Tories lost way back in 1964?).

Please note that Shadsy has priced up every single seat in Great Britain (presumably NI is a work in progress), so irrespective of whether or not anybody is "interested enough" the prices are there. Eg. here are the top CON targets from their LIB DEM chums in Scotland (the country where the Cons are doing relatively best and the Lib Dems relatively worst):

Top Scottish Lib Dem target seats for the Conservatives

Argyll and Bute
    SNP 6/4
    Labour 2/1
    Liberal Democrats 3/1
    Conservatives 7/1

Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk
    Liberal Democrats 4/6
    Conservatives 11/10

Edinburgh West
    Labour 4/5
    Liberal Democrats 5/4
    SNP 16/1
    Conservatives 16/1

North East Fife
    Liberal Democrats 1/3
    SNP 9/2
    Labour 10/1
    Conservatives 10/1

West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine
    Liberal Democrats 8/11
    Conservatives 6/4
    SNP 8/1

(30/1 bar)

Note: BAXTER has all of those five seats as CON GAIN FROM LIB DEM, whereas SHADSY has none of them as Con Gain From Lib Dem. A bit odd that.
  • Options
    On tactical voting: Clearly there is a fairly mature 'keep the Tories out' lefty block. Labour and LibDems always used to be fairly happy to lend each other their votes to achieve this end - I suspect because the LibDems were always something of a Labour lite in public perception. Coalition with Dave has killed this and Labour has simply swallowed many of the lefty beards.

On the right there has never really been such a block. You kept Labour out by voting Tory. UKIP's arrival may have complicated this picture. We may see some Tories in unwinnable seats lending their vote to UKIP. But I can't see this bringing in a UKIP MP in a previously Labour seat. In my view the real challenge for Dave is to get out the vote.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I don't think many have doubted Ed's special appeal to the yellow>red switchers. Will many of them swing back to the Lib Dems? Tactical voting might come into play in seats the Lib Dems are trying to hold from the Tories.

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands but the combined votes of all Lib Dem MPs is just over 1.14 million. They got 6.8 million votes overall, so that's almost exactly 1/6th of Lib Dem voters in a Lib Dem constituency. If we assume that the yellow>red switchers in these places will swingback, that is still relatively few of the total yellow>red switchers. Those like Hodges who think Lib Dem voters are concentrated in areas Labour can't win and therefore not very important to Labour are wrong. In fact I would suspect that the Lib Dem vote is already holding up better in the seats they hold against the Tories and collapsing slightly more elsewhere (particularly in Lib>Lab battlegrounds but there aren't as many of these).
  • Options
    OT - Another Draconian Labour Law - When is Idling not Idling?

Motorists are being fined for leaving their diesel engines running, in a move aimed at cutting pollution.

A council has begun issuing on-the-spot £20 penalties for drivers who fail to turn their engines off when stationary, leading to claims it is introducing a ‘stealth tax’.

Others are likely to follow suit in order to meet European environmental targets.

The measures, in place in Islington, North London, are yet another blow to drivers with diesel cars.

London mayor Boris Johnson has already revealed plans to charge them £10 extra to enter the centre of the capital from 2020.

Communities minister Brandon Lewis called the fines a way to ‘tax drivers by stealth’ and warned that they could push people away from high streets.

Councils gained the power to issue penalties for idling in 2002 but the rule has not been widely enforced until now."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715200/20-fine-leaving-diesel-engine-running-On-spot-fines-drivers-cut-pollution.html#ixzz39PKy4Am3

So what is defined as idling. When a bus halts at a bus stop, a vehicle at traffic lights or just a traffic jam? Is this timed or have a time limit?

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    O/T August MEF (Murali Election Forecast)

No real change - a very hung Parliament.

Con 296 (-2)
    Lab 298 (+3)
    LD 28 (-1)
    UKIP 0 (-)

100% NOM

100% LD will poll more than UKIP.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Motorists are being fined for leaving their diesel engines running, in a move aimed at cutting pollution.

A council has begun issuing on-the-spot £20 penalties for drivers who fail to turn their engines off when stationary, leading to claims it is introducing a ‘stealth tax’.

Others are likely to follow suit in order to meet European environmental targets.

The measures, in place in Islington, North London, are yet another blow to drivers with diesel cars.

London mayor Boris Johnson has already revealed plans to charge them £10 extra to enter the centre of the capital from 2020.

Communities minister Brandon Lewis called the fines a way to ‘tax drivers by stealth’ and warned that they could push people away from high streets.

Councils gained the power to issue penalties for idling in 2002 but the rule has not been widely enforced until now."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715200/20-fine-leaving-diesel-engine-running-On-spot-fines-drivers-cut-pollution.html#ixzz39PKy4Am3

So what is defined as idling. When a bus halts at a bus stop, a vehicle at traffic lights or just a traffic jam? Is this timed or have a time limit?

All those HST sets at St Pancras, Kings X, Paddington...

• Options

I concur.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TOPPING
    Something that "Tories" fail to grasp is that the "left" tend not to think just of their own wallets.

"'No one should die penniless and alone': the victims of Britain's harsh welfare sanctions"
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions

Now, I can make a guess from the usual responses on here, which of you will even bother to look at the link, and the very few who will even read it properly.
    To be fair, few of either side will read this particular story, but Dave's problem is that many people in Britain know relations or close friends in the same position.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I would share your aspirations - but I think you have to steel yourself to the fact that an independent Scotland would be a lefty utopia for a long time. Or at least until reality strikes.
    Norway is a bit of "a lefty utopia". Astonishingly generous welfare state and pensions. Huge state-funded infrastructure projects. High taxation. It is a lefty utopia that very many middle class and wealthy people are thoroughly delighted to be living in!

Task for the day: give Clair field a bit of a google. David Cameron certainly has.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Patrick said:

I think the re-balancing will happen quicker than you fear. But even if it does take a while, Scotland will at least get what it votes for...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Realisation at Last

The public has lost faith in government claims about tackling immigration because it does not tally with what they see on the ground, Nick Clegg will admit.

In a speech on immigration tomorrow, the Deputy Prime Minister will say it is ‘no wonder’ that people do not believe what ministers tell them when they have been ‘repeatedly told one thing only to then see another’.

He will speak out in favour of the free movement of European citizens but seek reforms to ensure that fewer Eastern Europeans move here if more countries are admitted to the EU in future.

Labour’s welfare spokesman Rachel Reeves will also call for reforms to the freedom of movement – to tackle benefit tourism – in a speech tomorrow.

But the Tories claim her idea – to stop people being able to claim welfare unless they have built up sufficient National Insurance contributions – was likely to be illegal under EU law.

The two speeches on immigration from Labour and Lib Dem politicians indicate that both believe they need to speak tough on the issue in the run-up to next May’s general election.

On Saturday, Labour’s Ed Balls said the party could not win the election unless it became tougher on immigration.

The surge by Ukip – which stands on an anti-immigration platform – in May’s European elections particularly unnerved the Lib Dems, who were reduced to one seat. To tackle this perception, Mr Clegg will say tomorrow that more needs to be done on migration from Europe.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2715064/Weve-lost-faith-public-immigration-says-Clegg-Deputy-PM-thinks-people-not-believe-ministers-tell-doesnt-tally-ground.html#ixzz39PN7xIRu

• Options
    Mr. Smarmeron, indeed, lefties think of what they can get from other people's ;)

Ah, generalisations. They're always wrong.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING
    Something that "Tories" fail to grasp is that the "left" tend not to think just of their own wallets.

"'No one should die penniless and alone': the victims of Britain's harsh welfare sanctions"
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions

Now, I can make a guess from the usual responses on here, which of you will even bother to look at the link, and the very few who will even read it properly.
    To be fair, few of either side will read this particular story, but Dave's problem is that many people in Britain know relations or close friends in the same position.

Of course there are plenty of those on the left who are altruistic (ignoring that typical clickbait Graun article) but I think you are on pretty safe ground by saying that voters in general respond to appeals to their wallets.

• Options
    Mr. Financier, handy for UKIP, all three parties talking about immigration.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited August 2014
    @TOPPING
    No1 crossed off the list. ;-)
  • Options

Patrick said:

Norway is a bit of "a lefty utopia". Astonishingly generous welfare state and pensions. Huge state-funded infrastructure projects. High taxation. It is a lefty utopia that very many middle class and wealthy people are thoroughly delighted to be living in!

Task for the day: give Clair field a bit of a google. David Cameron certainly has.
    Oil.
  • Options

Mr. Smarmeron, indeed, lefties think of what they can get from other people's ;)

Ah, generalisations. They're always wrong.

Except that one. Which is the exception that proves the rule...

• Options
    Stuart

Norway has MASSIVE oil/gas reserves and cashflow. Oil and gas pays for their lefty utopia. They also know it won't last forever and so they're saving a huge amount into their national wealth fund.

Scotland simply doesn't have this. Production decline will happen - albeit we can flatten the speed of decline with better application of technology and bringing previously uneconomic fields into production. But either way it's decline. It's a simple fallacy to state that Scotland could continue on a high spending economic policy even if all the oil & gas were to come their way. And there's for 100% certain no Scottish National Wealth Fund to palliate the masses once the oil & gas declines really bite.
  • Options
    YES continuing to shorten at Betfair:

Scottish independence referendum 18 September

Yes 5.7
    No 1.2

Matched: GBP 1,165,772
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Stuart

Norway has MASSIVE oil/gas reserves and cashflow. Oil and gas pays for their lefty utopia. They also know it won't last forever and so they're saving a huge amount into their national wealth fund.

Scotland simply doesn't have this. Production decline will happen - albeit we can flatten the speed of decline with better application of technology and bringing previously uneconomic fields into production. But either way it's decline. It's a simple fallacy to state that Scotland could continue on a high spending economic policy even if all the oil & gas were to come their way. And there's for 100% certain no Scottish National Wealth Fund to palliate the masses once the oil & gas declines really bite.

So, I see that you didn't bother googling Clair field then.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    "The latter remark was from Jake Anthony Painter, 17, an A-level student at City of London Academy in Islington. Painter, who is mixed race, is adamant he has never experienced racial prejudice in Ukip. "I get a lot of stick from the other sixth form students and some of the staff. They call Ukip fascist, racist, xenophobic, all the usual stuff really. It gets tiring defending my case, so I've stopped really bothering."

He supported the Liberal Democrats before the last election, but like many of the others says he looked to Ukip after the coalition government tripled tuition fees."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/03/ukip-youth-wing-fighting-form-young-independence-conference
  • Options
    To get the article for free, google "Doubts cast over David Cameron completing full term if re-elected"

Supporters of George Osborne and Boris Johnson are increasingly convinced David Cameron will not continue as prime minister beyond 2018 if he wins next year’s general election.

Although Mr Cameron insists he will seek a full second term, Tory MPs and rivals for the succession are working on the assumption he will step down voluntarily midway through the next parliament.

Mr Cameron is expected to announce his resignation as Tory leader immediately if he loses next year’s election, but Tory MPs are growing more confident that he will win in May 2015.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/018e2d6e-18c7-11e4-80da-00144feabdc0.html#axzz39PVjWWdS
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Mr Rentoul might not like it, but Mr Rentool DOES like it!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There have been two big (relatively) shifts in LibDem percentage support since 1983. One was between 1987 and 1992, when their share of the vote dropped 4.8% on an increased overall turnout (75 > 80%). The othere was between 2001 and 2005 when on a broadly similar turnout (59.4 > 61.4% ) their share rose by 3.7%.
    The first had probably a significant tactical element, the second represented the opposition to the Iraq War.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Financier said:

Technically, Boris is not in the Labour Party.
  • Options
    Stuart
    I'm very familiar with Clair. My employer has a significant stake in it. It's not a huge field and the capex / opex profile for recovery is quite steep. The economics are OK but no more than OK. Here's the reality of North Sea oil production that an independent Scotland would be betting the farm on:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgrefurl=http://large.stanford.edu/publications/coal/references/mearns/&tbnid=Sk6HTuLKCHUmvM:&docid=UC3Ap8oMUiIJpM&h=432&w=678
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    It is often said that voters do not do gratitude and I am sure this is true. But they do respect, albeit grudgingly and late in day, credibility and competence. A government which inherited an economy on the precipice and turned it back to growth does at least have some claim in the stakes of credibility and competence. What claim do EdM and Labour have in this regard?

Of these famous Red Liberals, around a quarter are said to prefer Cameron as PM; some are even satisfied with him. I suggest that these doubtfuls will not in the main vote Labour; some may even do the unthinkable and create a new Blue Red Liberal demographic at the last minute. How solid is the UKIP vote? And the 2010 Labour vote? We do know there are very few Red Blues. But there is scope aplenty to keep the 2015 result obscure for many weeks to come.
  • Options
    Last night I pointed out the Guardian headline implied that Alex Salmond was a drunk.

Well, this morning

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/presenting-one-of-the-best-newspaper-corrections-of-recent-times--ly35GvcDzl
  • Options
    Stuart

...and I'd point out that when you rely on oil and gas you need to keep it flowing. Norway has a better record than the UK here. We have seen disasters such as Piper Alpha, investment delays when tax regimes were fiddled with (Gordon and George) and also simple operational fu<k-ups. For example the Gannet field is not producing right now (and has been out for months) because of a stuck pig in the export pipeline.

The US economy can absorb a Macondo. Scotland couldn't...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Interesting tweet: "Polls didn't narrow ahead of the elections; elections were called because polls narrowed."

Has anyone done an analysis of change in polls before and after the elections are actually announced, to see how much of the narrowing effect can be explained by this?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Is this not all a bit too pat?
    The answers are also forced to be given to the questions asked and not necessarily to any other motives. This is a long way from saying that EdM has some sort of 'special appeal'.
    The LD to Lab switchers left because they were really Labour voters anyway. They were anti war peacenik anti Blair lefties, just the type not to like any tory leader.
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Stereotomy.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

To get the article for free, google "Doubts cast over David Cameron completing full term if re-elected"

Supporters of George Osborne and Boris Johnson are increasingly convinced David Cameron will not continue as prime minister beyond 2018 if he wins next year’s general election.

Although Mr Cameron insists he will seek a full second term, Tory MPs and rivals for the succession are working on the assumption he will step down voluntarily midway through the next parliament.

Mr Cameron is expected to announce his resignation as Tory leader immediately if he loses next year’s election, but Tory MPs are growing more confident that he will win in May 2015.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/018e2d6e-18c7-11e4-80da-00144feabdc0.html#axzz39PVjWWdS

Yes; I would imagine any objective analysis of the situation would conclude that after 13 years leading the Tory Party, Cameron would be anxious to retire. You do not have to be psychic.

2018 would be after the Euro referendum. It might even be when the finances return to surplus. A sensible time. The only why Cameron should could would possibly ever stay on is if everybody but everybody urged him to stay. Under those circumstances of course only the most loony Tory would actually want Cameron to retire, but I do not think we should ever underestimate the loony tendency amongst some tory backbenchers.
  • Options

Last night I pointed out the Guardian headline implied that Alex Salmond was a drunk.

Well, this morning

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/presenting-one-of-the-best-newspaper-corrections-of-recent-times--ly35GvcDzl

“F.E. Smith: He was drunk as a judge.

Judge: The expression as I have always understood it is 'sober as a judge'. Perhaps you mean 'as drunk as a lord'?

F.E. Smith: Yes, my lord.”

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Interesting tweet: "Polls didn't narrow ahead of the elections; elections were called because polls narrowed."

Has anyone done an analysis of change in polls before and after the elections are actually announced, to see how much of the narrowing effect can be explained by this?

I have no figures, but here is an overview as I remember it:

1964 - forced election, gov't lost

1966 - polls positive, govt reelected

1970 - polls positive, gov't lost

1974 - polls positive, gov't lost

1974 - polls positive, gov't reelected

1979 - forced election, polls negative, gov't lost

1983 - polls positive, gov't reelected

1987 - polls positive, gov't reelected

1992 - forced election, polls negative, gov't reelected

1997 - forced election, polls negative, gov't lost

2001 - polls positive, gov't reelected

2005 - polls positive, gov't reelected

2010 - forced election, polls negative, gov't lost

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

Seems to be working for UKIP. Lower middle class and respectable working class are very susceptible to this approach. Bizarre assertion. Cameron inadvertently attracted this voter to some extent last time despite his poor campaign strategy of targetting Guardian readers.
    But isn't it more likely that the sort of Labour voter that would switch because of immigration/EU would vote UKIP rather than Tory. Cameron and Osborn would not be in the least bit attractive to that sort of voter I would'nt have thought as the "toff" problem would put most of them off.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Thank you @TheScreamingEagles‌ for that Independent link, I haven't laughed so much at a politics story since Gordon Brown claimed to have 'saved the world'!

On the Tory leadership election link, the FT seems to me to be pretty dogmatic. Johnson Osborne, and May as the frontrunners? Well, perhaps, but it's hard to see May in a top job beyond the election, Osborne is toxic - really toxic - and Johnson may be just popular enough to win London against a tired and discredited Labour candidate, but it's hard to see him being trusted as Prime Minister on the strength of his record.

A second point could be made from Tory history as well. There is an old saying about the RC Church's elections of Popes - he who goes in the favourite, comes out a Cardinal. The same is true of the Conservatives. The last time a 'clear front runner' won the leadership would surely be Eden in 1955, the time before that Chamberlain in 1937, and the time before that Balfour in 1902 - none of them lasted more than three years, and all had a thoroughly miserable time in office. In fact, I have to go all the way back to Disraeli in 1867 to find a leader who was (a) the clear front runner on the retirement of the previous leader and (b) didn't make a complete mess of the job (and he had a few close calls in the late 1860s). Of course, some of the outsiders haven't been exactly great either. But that's a different point.

I would guess that whenever Cameron goes, the new leader will be somebody if not totally unexpected, at the very least not widely tipped. Sajid Javid might be a possibility, or even Esther McVey or Mark Harper. Or it might be somebody so obscure that nobody has so far ever heard of them, a la Major or Baldwin who both rose very suddenly to beat more prominent, experienced and arguably more able candidates to become leader.
  • Options
    What I find odd is that if you look at individual seat markets they seems to be implying Labour will be close to a majority. Yet that is not what we are seeing in the overall results market.
  • Options
    Just to follow, the first of Labour's targets that has the tories as favourites (well joint favourites) is Wirral West. Labour's official target number 49, but I suspect unofficial target 60 odd.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    @dr_spyn‌ another famous one:

Pompous and not very popular judge: 'I am afraid, Mr Smith, that I am no wiser after that speech.'

FE: 'Certainly not, my lord, but I trust your lordship is at least better informed.'
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Suggests that Lib-Lab switchers were never LDs in the first place - just tactical voters.

Doesn't bode well for the future of the LDs - no longer a depository for protest votes and no natural constituency.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    ydoethur said:

@dr_spyn‌ another famous one:

Pompous and not very popular judge: 'I am afraid, Mr Smith, that I am no wiser after that speech.'

FE: 'Certainly not, my lord, but I trust your lordship is at least better informed.'

Another exchange between F. E. Smith and a judge.

Judge: You are extremely offensive, young man!

F. E. Smith: As a matter of fact we both are; and the only difference between us is that I am trying to be, and you can't help it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TGOHF said:

no natural constituency.

Eastleigh.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014
    Mehdi Hasan's living up to David Cameron's maxim about twitter.

Oh my, whatever you do, do not visit tubegalore.mobi

Milo Yiannopoulos ‏@Nero 32m
    .@mehdirhasan's porn site of choice describes itself as "a vortex… the only porn resource you'll ever need"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuLvpVbIgAEjTRv.png
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, 'vortex' is an odd word for positive self-description.

"Charybdis, the last holiday destination you'll ever want to visit!"
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, 'vortex' is an odd word for positive self-description.

"Charybdis, the last holiday destination you'll ever want to visit!"

Well in fluid dynamics, the term vortex is apt.

"a vortex is a region within a fluid where the flow is mostly a spinning motion"
  • Options
    "I can well remember being told off sternly for not supporting David Cameron’s war in Libya, supposedly waged to prevent a fictional massacre and some fictional rapes. Only a few weeks ago I was still being told the same story.

Well, Libya is now in flames, British Embassy staff are fleeing the country and the place is far too dangerous for anyone to go there and report on it. Massacres can proceed with impunity, and refugees head unhindered to Italy – and eventually here – in their thousands.

Let me remind you that Mr Cameron was quick to claim an easy triumph. He told the Commons on September 5, 2011:

‘Some people warned, as Gaddafi himself did, that the Libyan people could not be trusted with freedom; that without Gaddafi there would be chaos.

Compare and contrast what I said here that same week:

‘Just because existing regimes are bad, it does not follow that their replacements will be any better… The test of any revolution comes not as the tyrant falls, but two or three years later, when the new rulers have shown us what they are really like.’ "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2714462/PETER-HITCHENS-These-vainglorious-fools-march-inferno.html#ixzz39PsAYOJM
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    isam said:

"I can well remember being told off sternly for not supporting David Cameron’s war in Libya, supposedly waged to prevent a fictional massacre and some fictional rapes. Only a few weeks ago I was still being told the same story.

Well, Libya is now in flames, British Embassy staff are fleeing the country and the place is far too dangerous for anyone to go there and report on it. Massacres can proceed with impunity, and refugees head unhindered to Italy – and eventually here – in their thousands.

Let me remind you that Mr Cameron was quick to claim an easy triumph. He told the Commons on September 5, 2011:

‘Some people warned, as Gaddafi himself did, that the Libyan people could not be trusted with freedom; that without Gaddafi there would be chaos.

Compare and contrast what I said here that same week:

‘Just because existing regimes are bad, it does not follow that their replacements will be any better… The test of any revolution comes not as the tyrant falls, but two or three years later, when the new rulers have shown us what they are really like.’ "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2714462/PETER-HITCHENS-These-vainglorious-fools-march-inferno.html#ixzz39PsAYOJM
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Bit like Bush declaring "Mission Accomplished” on that aircraft carrier.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It's not immigration most Ukip voters need to worry about,it's their prostate gland.More research,better testing and regular NHS therapy-these sort of popular policy initiatives are the way to attract voters away from Ukip,not by fighting them on their own pre-prepared cricket pitch.
    As for the Tories,Johnson enters fray and,what else,bangs on about Europe.He must know his old mate Dave is going to lose and he smells blood,these Old Etonians know no mercy.
  • Options
    Populus

Con 35 (nc) Lab 37 (+1) LD 9 (+1) UKIP 12 (-1) Greens 3 (-1)

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/OmOnline_Vote_04-08-2014_BPC.pdf
  • Options
    http://labourlist.org/2014/08/a-9-ukip-strategy-isnt-a-path-to-power-its-a-route-to-disaster/

"How much further can it fall? Are we past peak UKIP? Will they now plumb back to the depths of the 3% they managed to attract in 2010? Or is this merely a Summer blip, addressed by renewed vigour in Autumn? Both circumstances have their pitfalls for Labour.

Some strategists at Labour HQ are banking on this being a blip. They believe that if UKIP poll 9% or more next year, they will have taken enough votes from the Tories to ensure Miliband enters Number 10. By their reckoning, if UKIP’s vote continues to drop, a Tory resurgence will spell trouble for Labour.

In an interview yesterday, however, Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls said he was “not comfortable” with UKIP getting 9% in “the medium or long term”, suggesting there are deep disagreements at the top of the party about how much of a threat Nigel Farage’s party are to Labour. He’s right to be uncomfortable.Balls is right to be uncomfortable: too many in our Party are deluding themselves about UKIP. They are going to be very, very damaging to us.

A quick glance at Lord Ashcoft’s recent marginal polling should be enough of a warning. Not only are UKIP on track to win some of our main target seats, there are some constituencies where they are attracting so many swing voters that they split the anti-Tory vote, leaving the Conservatives in place.

I can only assume that those who advocate a 9% UKIP vote must be blinkered by London-centric view of politics. On the morning of May 23rd, having stayed up through the night for LabourList’s election liveblog, I was reflecting on a poor night so far for Labour."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Financier said:

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/a-9-ukip-strategy-isnt-a-path-to-power-its-a-route-to-disaster/

"How much further can it fall? Are we past peak UKIP? Will they now plumb back to the depths of the 3% they managed to attract in 2010? Or is this merely a Summer blip, addressed by renewed vigour in Autumn? Both circumstances have their pitfalls for Labour.

Some strategists at Labour HQ are banking on this being a blip. They believe that if UKIP poll 9% or more next year, they will have taken enough votes from the Tories to ensure Miliband enters Number 10. By their reckoning, if UKIP’s vote continues to drop, a Tory resurgence will spell trouble for Labour.

In an interview yesterday, however, Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls said he was “not comfortable” with UKIP getting 9% in “the medium or long term”, suggesting there are deep disagreements at the top of the party about how much of a threat Nigel Farage’s party are to Labour. He’s right to be uncomfortable.Balls is right to be uncomfortable: too many in our Party are deluding themselves about UKIP. They are going to be very, very damaging to us.

A quick glance at Lord Ashcoft’s recent marginal polling should be enough of a warning. Not only are UKIP on track to win some of our main target seats, there are some constituencies where they are attracting so many swing voters that they split the anti-Tory vote, leaving the Conservatives in place.

I can only assume that those who advocate a 9% UKIP vote must be blinkered by London-centric view of politics. On the morning of May 23rd, having stayed up through the night for LabourList’s election liveblog, I was reflecting on a poor night so far for Labour."

I really couldn't care less whether Cameron or Miliband is PM this time next year, but Labours approach to winning by doing little other than look at the stats/electoral system flaws needed to gain power is cynical to say the least, and it makes me kind of hope they fail.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Populus

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/OmOnline_Vote_04-08-2014_BPC.pdf

Not much of a Monday bounce !?
  • Options
    "There have been discussions within Salmond's camp about how sober he should be and how aggressive he should be with Darling."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/03/salmond-tv-debate-scottish-independence-referendum-darling

Well, quite.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    TGOHF said:

Populus

Not much of a Monday bounce !?
    Decent Monday poll for the Cons. But probably just MoE/noise
  • Options
    Fascinating that the FT is producing an article about Dave's exit schedule and succession after winning next year. The fact that the chances of him winning next year are fairly remote anyway doesn't seem to matter. The media narrative in this country seems to be that Cameron is a winner and Miliband a loser, although only one of them has a fought an election as leader and he didn't win it.

What about another hung parliament like this one? What sort of bold offer would Dave make to the Lib Dems next time? In fact what sort of offer would he be allowed to make by his party? Some of whom we expect to be gunning for him the morning after the election if he does give them their promised majority.
  • Options
    Doesn't give them that should be.
This discussion has been closed.