Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s latest round of marginals polling finds tha

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,074
    Neil said:

isam said:

Some say he won the 1970 election for the Tories and the 1974 election for Labour

Is there anything that man couldnt do? I only wish he'd turned his formidable talents to curing cancer and eliminating poverty.
    There are a few things he chose not to do that other Tories of his time did
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2014
    The left has a new enemy - who can save us ?

What next, politically correct Trumpton??

''Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Ramirez, Mohammed, Patel'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    edited July 2014

TGOHF said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

"Classism, sexism, anti-environmentalism bordering on racism..."

This from the comments made me chuckle,

I look forward to next weeks article
    Chess - Racist? The white guys get to move first!
    It's also sexist because the Queen can move as many squares as she wants - well in a straight or diagonal line - whereas the King can only move one square (apart from "castling" of course) :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,712

TGOHF said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

One of my gay friends pointed out Chess was promoting homosexuality.

Who is the most powerful piece on the board. A Queen.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What next, politically correct Trumpton??

''Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Ramirez, Mohammed, Patel'

Haha

Watch this, esp 2:26 in

I'm sure that bearded fellow imposts on here

http://youtu.be/aLlrfEYtqFU

• Options

If movements in today's 14 @LordAshcroft's CON-LAB battlegrounds are applied nationally LAB would be just 2% ahead

1% ahead according to Rallings and Thrasher, 2% ahead with Lord A, Lab's leads aren't that compared to past oppositions.
    Yet more PB Tory wishful thinking :)
    Bah wishful thinking.

Con gain Doncaster North
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Thank you @Pulpstar.

Just MOE variation I suspect.

Hardly cause for either celebration or woe.

Consistent with my view that there is sod all happening but good for Ukip @Isam
  • Options
    @TC

Labour have Rachel Reeves which is no doubt good enough for @Sunil
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Here's a win for the sensible wing of the coalition and a slap-down for Ozzy:

"The government has today confirmed the UK will retain its fourth carbon budget in its current form, ending speculation that the target for the mid-2020s could be watered down.

The Financial Times reported this morning that Chancellor George Osborne had been forced to back down in his long-running attempt to dilute the legally-binding target, which covers the period from 2022 to 2027 and effectively requires the UK to halve its greenhouse gas emissions against 1990 levels by 2027.

A written ministerial statement from Energy and Climate Change Secretary Ed Davey was released mid-morning confirming the Fourth Carbon Budget would not be amended. "The budget, which covers the period 2023 to 2027, will therefore stay at its existing level of 1950 MtCO2 equivalent," Davey said."
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited July 2014
    steve hawkes @steve_hawkes

Theresa May launches wholesale review of police disciplinary system - We need to go further, she says #ninor

Police disciplinary hearings will be held in public, the Home Secretary adds

Consultation on police whistleblowing to be launched.. Theresa May wants "sealed investigations"

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@TC

Labour have Rachel Reeves which is no doubt good enough for @Sunil

Rachel Reeves? Where?

:)
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Basically, UKIP could pick up upto ten seats. But these would not be the Rotherham kind. More like, Thanet S, Thurrock, Great Grimsby , and some in Lincs., Essex,Kent, Cambs, Norfolk, Suffolk.

UKIP could easily target these seats. I guess the Tory vote will collapse here. This is the mirror opposite of Lib Dem gains over the years when they concentrated on Labour supporters to vote tactically against the Tories.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    “At first blush, Thomas and his friends seem rather placid and mild. And there are certainly a lot worse shows in terms of in-your-face violence, sexism, racism and classism. But looks can be deceiving: the constant bent of messages about friendship, work, class, gender and race sends my kid the absolute wrong message.”

Blimey, life must be an absolute riot in the neurotic Van Slyke household. - Wonder what she makes of Dr Who...
  • Options
    The Thomas the Tank Engine article is amusing. Nothing more.

One woman's crazed view does not constitute the views of "The Left" no matter how much the PB Tories wish it were true. My son loves the show and the toys.

The best character is Cranky the Crane who is a dockside badass with a temperament akin to PBers of a Monday morning, when faced with a boundaries thread.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2014

The thing about Thurrock, has any party ever come from fifth to win?

They were 5th behind the BNP, and nearly 13k behind Con and Lab.

The average UKIPper disagrees very little with the BNP. For example, looking at the UKIPper massive in the DT comments, how many UKIPpers would seriously disagree that Britain is "a multicultural shithole" which is under the process of "ethnic cleansing" and faces many more Lee Rigby-style executions perpetrated by "tribal African" people?

The thing is, that is the considered view of the new leader of the BNP. Anyone espousing the milder view - that EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders - is a Tory, not a UKIPper.

So in that seat you could add UKIP to BNP and reckon from there.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

BobaFett said:

Just catching up.

Is it me or is this still good news for Labour (and the Kippers)?

Usual PB Tories celebrating but this poll still seems dire for them.

Am I misreading it somehow?

It's bad for Labour in the sense that it is not as good as it was. But in the final analysis any party taking seats from the Tories is good news for Labour.

Several of those seats though are right up for grabs if those figures are realistic. I can't believe how close the Conservatives are in Amber Valley. Edward needs to take all these seats to win, he might not get up to half these, WWC defecting to UKIP could be a massive problem for Edward, it could cost seats. Certainly from a Midlands perspective once WWC guys have pitched their tent to UKIP they won't change easily there is a certain stubbornness there.

I moved to Conservative last election and if Labour don't change dramatically I won't be going back.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,540

I'm very close to the ground, I can confirm ukip are gaining far more votes from labour than tory. Put bluntly, it is blue collar workers in working class areas that are disadvantaged most by immigration: education, health services and job prospects are all affected. Worryingly for labour they know that but have absolutely no response.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

hold on.

You mean they're not all retired colonels sitting in golf clubs in the commuter belt??

I mean really. The very thought that the only Lab=>UKIP switcher we have on PB has been telling the truth THE WHOLE TIME!

Can you be serious??

What will those of a leftwards persuation on here think of that? Will their brains explode?

(good post)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Its not 1st April is it?

I thought it was a Sean T style spoof when I read it.

• Options

The average UKIPper disagrees very little with the BNP. For example, looking at the UKIPper massive in the DT comments, how many UKIPpers would seriously disagree that Britain is "a multicultural shithole" which is under the process of "ethnic cleansing" and faces many more Lee Rigby-style executions perpetrated by "tribal African" people?

The thing is, that is the considered view of the new leader of the BNP. Anyone espousing the milder view - that EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders - is a Tory, not a UKIPper.

I know you are trolling, but it is fair to say that you have to allocate a large % of the BNP vote to UKIP. Whether kippers like it or not, its obvious that we are the party BNP supporters are most likely to vote for.

Especially in Thurrock, if anyone cared to listen to the BBC radio programme I linked to...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I'm very close to the ground, I can confirm ukip are gaining far more votes from labour than tory. Put bluntly, it is blue collar workers in working class areas that are disadvantaged most by immigration: education, health services and job prospects are all affected. Worryingly for labour they know that but have absolutely no response.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

hold on.

You mean they're not all retired colonels sitting in golf clubs in the commuter belt??

I mean really. The very thought that the only Lab=>UKIP switcher we have on PB has been telling the truth THE WHOLE TIME!

Can you be serious??

What will those of a leftwards persuation on here think of that? Will their brains explode?

(good post)
    They normally pretend that I am not a Lab>UKIP switcher, and that I am inventing working class family & mates
  • Options
    This is from the editor of Wisden

Lawrence Booth ‏@the_topspin 8m

Curious delay on Test squad announcement. Think something big is brewing...
  • Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 3m

Based on Lord Ashcroft's latest marginal poll, Labour is doing worse in the marginals than it is nationally.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

taffys said:

Its a shame the noble lord does not do polling in Great Grimbsy and Rotherham.

Maybe he doesn't want to alert Labour to the possibility they may be in trouble in those constituencies.
    You will be surprised how much private polling parties undertake. Plus canvassing nowadays is a all the yera round activity - not just in the 3 weeks prior to an election.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I see Mr Bond is continuing his recruitment campaign for Ukip. I suppose someone has to take over from Rotherham children's services.

The Trojan Horse story is bad for all parties. A small minority can make the running if any criticism can be called racism. And Labour is associated with this (possibly unfairly) in the minds of the voters in same way that they get positive feedback when anyone mentions the NHS.

I expected Ukip to decline slowly, at least until the conferences, but the black (not n a racist connotation) swans are helping out.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

I know you are trolling, but it is fair to say that you have to allocate a large % of the BNP vote to UKIP. Whether kippers like it or not, its obvious that we are the party BNP supporters are most likely to vote for.

Especially in Thurrock, if anyone cared to listen to the BBC radio programme I linked to...
    I'm not trolling. The DT comments are packed with people who self-identify as UKIP but who would upvote to the rafters any such sentiments as those above.

It's similar to the way that Vince Cable disagrees with Labour on essentially nothing, and is a LibDem only because in their smaller pond he looks like a bigger fish.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Anyone follow BNP politics? Griffin replaced by a former teacher called Adam Walker:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2014/07/21/nick-griffin-ousted-as-bnp-leader

That piece only talks about an incident involving him chasing after children and slashing their bicycle tyres, which sounds like the kind of educational innovation that should be tested in a Free School, but apparently Michael Gove banned him from teaching. (Maybe he should have another go now that Gove is gone?) But more to the point, is he any good at politics?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I don't have any confidence that the ECB will pick a better squad even if there are changes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I don't have any confidence that the ECB will pick a better squad even if there are changes.
    I don't think there's a better squad out there, that's truly depressing.

I mean if Simon Kerrigan is our best spinner, then we're Daffy Ducked.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 3m

Based on Lord Ashcroft's latest marginal poll, Labour is doing worse in the marginals than it is nationally.

LOL Is that the same Polling you were dissing recently Mr worst political pundit
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    "What are you doing James? You're a big pink steamie,"
  • Options

isam said:

I'm not trolling. The DT comments are packed with people who self-identify as UKIP but who would upvote to the rafters any such sentiments as those above.

It's similar to the way that Vince Cable disagrees with Labour on essentially nothing, and is a LibDem only because in their smaller pond he looks like a bigger fish.
    You have to wonder why they don't just vote BNP then don't you?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Jimmy to open the batting :)
  • Options

TGOHF said:

What happened to Monty Panesar, I mean I know he got wasted in that nightclub and has gone through a divorce but he was a pretty good spinner.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

They don't any more.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

What happened to Monty Panesar, I mean I know he got wasted in that nightclub and has gone through a divorce but he was a pretty good spinner.

Those off field problems have effected him on the field. He can't even get into the Essex side
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I think he is struggling to get in the Essex team

India aren't picking a specialist spinner, Jadeja is a bit of a rock n roll Moeen Ali.

It was only an over, but Ballance looked like he could bowl at Trent Bridge. Root can bowl spin too.We have to face facts; we haven't got a decent spinner, unless this Riley kid is the real deal

I'd go

Cook, Carberry, Balance, Bell, Root, Ali, Jordan, Foster (c), Plunkett, Anderson, Finn
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The Hendon poll indicates Labour will win more London seats than assumed. Bermondsey must be on the cards.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

They don't any more.
    Yeah that's why I said you have to wonder why!

More people voted BNP than UKIP in Thurrock in 2010. I take it there will be a BNP candidate in 2015, so why do they prefer UKIP now?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

"What are you doing James? You're a big pink steamie,"

"Peep, peep!" whistled Thomas.
    "Poop, poop!" whistled Gordon.
    They both then made sure they washed their hands before leaving the restroom.

:)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Bloody hell ! No wonder UKIP is doing well. The ECB not only sets interest rates for the Euro but also selects the English cricket team !!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    I may not be the first to notice this, but the swing away from the LDs over wave 1 and 2 is shocking. How can they still be being squeezed at such low numbers? If this hollowing out of support is born out the lost deposits betting will be very interesting.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    surbiton said:

Bermondsey must be on the cards.

IOS will be shocked if it doesnt fall to Labour. Still about a 2/1 bet with most bookies though. Their algorithms must be out.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,738
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I think he is struggling to get in the Essex team

India aren't picking a specialist spinner, Jadeja is a bit of a rock n roll Moeen Ali.

It was only an over, but Ballance looked like he could bowl at Trent Bridge. Root can bowl spin too.We have to face facts; we haven't got a decent spinner, unless this Riley kid is the real deal

I'd go

Cook, Carberry, Balance, Bell, Root, Ali, Jordan, Foster (c), Plunkett, Anderson, Finn
    Depends on the pitch at Southampton but it hasn't historically been an obvious spinning heaven so I don't think I'd pick a specialist spinner so that looks reasonable. (By contrast, I would be very tempted to bring the evergreen Gareth Batty in for the Oval test as a specialist experienced, on-form spinner if the wicket is anything like the ones Surrey have been playing on so far this season.)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

TGOHF said:

Its not 1st April is it?

Possibly it is. As SeanT has explained, it is all about "shares"
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Those off field problems have effected him on the field. He can't even get into the Essex side
    TSE, you're now going on the PB Grammar Pedants' Wall of Shame.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Methinks the MH17 narrative is likely to blow back massively. Keyword NEWFIP.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

He has that affect, I mean effect, on people!
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

I blame auto-correct, it has affected my grammar.
  • Options
    Neil said:

surbiton said:

Bermondsey must be on the cards.

IOS will be shocked if it doesnt fall to Labour. Still about a 2/1 bet with most bookies though. Their algorithms must be out.
    IOS ?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

TGOHF said:

Its not 1st April is it?

Doubt it.

Any obsession is unhealthy - when you can only see the world through one filter. Even worse when you push it onto your children: "My son, now three-and-a-half years old, thankfully never never went through a manic train fascination like so many other children".

I live right next to a Thomas the Tank Engine steam railway. Lots and lots of happy children, that's what I can tell you. Proper family fun.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Kevin Schofield ‏@schofieldkevin 9 mins

George Osborne announces that the UK government is to give another £5 million to the fire-damaged Glasgow School of Art.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

You have fundamentally misunderstood the nature of UKIP's divergence from The Conservatives. It is not extremity of viewpoint that seperates them, it is the determination that action must follow sentiment. It may be that many Tories feel 'EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders' -but the upper echelons of their party will simply NEVER allow that. Those who do attempt to advance such initiatives within the Tory party are darkly hinted at as being 'ideological' -a smear that means nutter.

To believe that 'EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders' but to remain within the Conservative indicates either terminal delusion or intellectual cowardice. Ukipper's haven't moved away from the Tory Party, the Tory Party has been taken from them.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

TGOHF said:

Its not 1st April is it?

Doubt it.

Any obsession is unhealthy - when you can only see the world through one filter. Even worse when you push it onto your children: "My son, now three-and-a-half years old, thankfully never never went through a manic train fascination like so many other children".

I live right next to a Thomas the Tank Engine steam railway. Lots and lots of happy children, that's what I can tell you. Proper family fun.
    Nowt wrong with trains! Now where did I leave my model....
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Newfip o_O ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

You have fundamentally misunderstood the nature of UKIP's divergence from The Conservatives. It is not extremity of viewpoint that seperates them, it is the determination that action must follow sentiment. It may be that many Tories feel 'EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders' -but the upper echelons of their party will simply NEVER allow that. Those who do attempt to advance such initiatives within the Tory party are darkly hinted at as being 'ideological' -a smear that means nutter.

To believe that 'EU immigration is a bit out of hand, and we need to do something about our borders' but to remain within the Conservative indicates either terminal delusion or intellectual cowardice. Ukipper's haven't moved away from the Tory Party, the Tory Party has been taken from them.
    Considering you're an Assad and Putin apologist, I'm glad you think the Tory party isn't for you.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,925
    I think there's a revelation of black swans circling overhead so **** nose.

I agree that the likelihood of an ugly market event between now and May is quite high. Russia, China credit bubble, faliure of Abenomics, middle-east, grossly overvalued equity markets, Eurozone meltdown reawakens, blah, blah, blah.

And who'd you rather have handling the fallout of that? Dave n Ozzy or Ed n Ed? That's a no-brainer.

Is there anything in what we have seen so far other than blind tribalism to suggest that Cameron & Osborne would become political colossuses overnight in the event of a major financial crisis? I for one hope for all our sakes it is not put to the test.
  • Options

Considering you're an Assad and Putin apologist, I'm glad you think the Tory party isn't for you.
    Now where has that "Like" button gone.
  • Options

At least Assad and Putin aren't Islamists.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    edited July 2014
    OllyT said:

I think there's a revelation of black swans circling overhead so **** nose.

I agree that the likelihood of an ugly market event between now and May is quite high. Russia, China credit bubble, faliure of Abenomics, middle-east, grossly overvalued equity markets, Eurozone meltdown reawakens, blah, blah, blah.

And who'd you rather have handling the fallout of that? Dave n Ozzy or Ed n Ed? That's a no-brainer.

Is there anything in what we have seen so far other than blind tribalism to suggest that Cameron & Osborne would become political colossuses overnight in the event of a major financial crisis? I for one hope for all our sakes it is not put to the test.

Seeing as they're currently trusted much more on the economy than Ed n Ed, that's not really a very good argument.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

Newfip o_O ?
    It's an acronym. I don't want to go into details as it's depressing to think about.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interesting Red Bull and Williams are both 9 to top score in Hungary. Red Bull's superior chassis will make them relatively faster, compared to Hockenheim, but I suspect Williams may now be a cut above them.

Unfortunately, it'll almost certainly take a reliability failure for them to beat Mercedes, and retirements are few at the Hungaroring.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

Newfip o_O ?
    It's an acronym. I don't want to go into details as it's depressing to think about.

Was it the bankstas that did it?
  • Options
    Neil said:

MrJones said:

Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

Newfip o_O ?

Was it the bankstas that did it?
    I blame Thomas the Tank Engine
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I am trying to follow up my groundbreaking (6 comments) article on Mass Immigration's affect on the Working Class with one on advertising in gambling.

The more I think of it , the more I'm drawn to the idea that advertising of alcohol and gambling should not be allowed on tv, as per smoking.

If gambling is allowed to be advertised, it should be no more than the equivalent of a board with the odds on before a match or at half time/between overs
  • Options
    Can any younger and/or 'with-it' posters advise me whether "Bubble Witch" is a euphemism for something interesting?
  • Options

Can any younger and/or 'with-it' posters advise me whether "Bubble Witch" is a euphemism for something interesting?

It's a game innit?
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, your capitals made me think of Mass Effect.

Damned Turians, coming over here, taking our jobs...

[Apparently there'll be some news on Mass Effect 4 fairly soon].

If alcohol advertising were banned that'd hit F1 pretty hard.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Nah, the going rate for an exemption is a £1 million donation and you get it back after it's been exposed!
  • Options

It's a game innit?
    So nothing to do with young women on holiday in Magaluf?
  • Options

Mr. Isam, your capitals made me think of Mass Effect.

Damned Turians, coming over here, taking our jobs...

[Apparently there'll be some news on Mass Effect 4 fairly soon].

Just tv advertising
  • Options

It's a game innit?
    Not that I'm aware of.

I have introduced PBers to many of the hip happening phrases, such as

1) MILF to Richard Nabavi

2) Changing at Baker Street to Morris Dancer
  • Options
    This sounds like a really bad Sci-fi movie

Beware boozed-up sugar junkie wasps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023c4ry
  • Options

Is it something you do in a bath with a mature vegan lady ?
  • Options

It's a game innit?
    Not that I'm aware of.

I have introduced PBers to many of the hip happening phrases, such as

1) MILF to Richard Nabavi

2) Changing at Baker Street to Morris Dancer
    No. 2 was also news to me!
  • Options
    isam said:

I am trying to follow up my groundbreaking (6 comments) article on Mass Immigration's affect on the Working Class with one on advertising in gambling.

The more I think of it , the more I'm drawn to the idea that advertising of alcohol and gambling should not be allowed on tv, as per smoking.

If gambling is allowed to be advertised, it should be no more than the equivalent of a board with the odds on before a match or at half time/between overs

A ban on Ray Winston perhaps ?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    isam said:

The problem is "gambling" covers a whole range which vendors and opponents like to keep confused. The scourge of high streets is so-called FOBTs (high stakes fruit machines, basically) in betting shops. This is not the same as bingo or the National Lottery, for instance, and nor is it the same as "proper" betting as practised by denizens of pb -- where you can, by virtue of skill, information or analysis, win.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Neil,

Your last two posts have been numbered 4,999. Please drop the other shoe.

And yes, I should get out more.
  • Options
    High impact advertising for bookies seems to wind up non gamblers a lot - not sure why.

The idea of next corner market doesn't appeal to me - however I can see why England 1st inning runs markets might not appeal to others.

• Options
    From Conhome there are some amusing tweets on the subject of GuardiankidsTV

'The speak truth to power rangers' is my personal favourite.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BloombergNews: Hollande prepared to cancel French warship sale to Russia: http://t.co/CNHd181DEf http://t.co/IT4WaY7hFm
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mr. P, genuinely surprised by that. If Hollande cancelled, would Merkel/Germany then be under pressure substantial enough to alter the German view?
  • Options
    Anyone remember the film Coneheads?

Look at the chap in the video, on the right hand side

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-22/france-prepared-to-cancel-warship-sale-to-russia.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

High impact advertising for bookies seems to wind up non gamblers a lot - not sure why.

The idea of next corner market doesn't appeal to me - however I can see why England 1st inning runs markets might not appeal to others.

Advertising the prices is fine by me, but selling it as a lifestyle goes too far I think.
  • Options

Mr. P, genuinely surprised by that. If Hollande cancelled, would Merkel/Germany then be under pressure substantial enough to alter the German view?

Dunno - how about closer to home, will the Mayfair property market be affected ?
  • Options
    The Israelis really are losing the media war

crispian balmer ‏@crispiandjb 1m

Al Jazeera accuse Israel of firing at their Gaza office after foreign min Lieberman had denounced them. http://reut.rs/1yVFCke via @reuters

ITV News ‏@itvnews 2m

BBC Arabic reporter attacked mid-broadcast by 'angry Israeli' http://itv.co/1p6ksZi
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, do they care?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, do they care?

No.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Advertising the prices is fine by me, but selling it as a lifestyle goes too far I think.
    Which adverts/firms do you have in mind for that ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Which adverts/firms do you have in mind for that ?
    Erm... !

Obviously the worst is Ladbrokes, but I think they are all pretty bad.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    UK Prime Minister ‏@Number10gov 3 mins

PM: We agreed Dutch request for air accident investigators at Farnborough to retrieve data from MH17 black boxes for international analysis

But will the Russians trust us?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it's of limited relevance, then.

Might stoke up Hamas' popularity, but in pure military terms it doesn't matter.

On ads: obviously I don't mind gambling but the few ads I've seen all seem bloody obnoxious. If anything, they'd put me off rather than entice me.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,217
    Pulpstar said:

One thing about the Indy ref - look at the amount of Jam & Apple Pie that has been stuffed Scotland's way since it's been announced.

If I was in Scotland I'd probably vote No/SNP...

Pulpstar can you tell me what jam & apple pie you are talking about. I have only seen cuts and vague promises to stiff us with income tax whilst slashing the budget and leaving us in the mire.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited July 2014
    http://election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/lord-ashcroft-con-lab-marginal-polling.html

I'm not sure that this link has been posted yet. It looks at the Ashcroft 14 in terms of Mosaic demographics, and compares this with correlation data on how the different demographics vote.
  • Options
    Nick Hoult ‏@NHoultCricket 45s

13 man squad announced. Includes Cook, Buttler for Prior but no Kerrigan
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,217

Neil said:

With the retirement of Prescott and others, who are the working class leaders at the top of the Labour party that regularly appear on tv? Attacking Cameron and co as middle class public school etc could just draw attention to the lack of few WWC that Labour have.
    e.g. SoS Education vs Shadow SoS Eduation.

Another factor is age. Cameron may have made a mistake in shipping out some grey heads, but his cabinet still look older than Miliband's. We all know that older voters have the highest voting records.
    It should be a good aim to look like your voters.

Might Darling and Johnson return in an autumn reshuffle?
    It would probably help Labour at the GE. Another Scot at the top may also help hold back the SNP surge.
    LOL, Darling is hated almost as much as Brown. What planet do you boys live on. labour are in the crap in Scotland, the only way the SNP are going is UP. Only a YES vote will mean a drop in SNP votes and even then not immediately.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

One thing about the Indy ref - look at the amount of Jam & Apple Pie that has been stuffed Scotland's way since it's been announced.

If I was in Scotland I'd probably vote No/SNP...

Pulpstar can you tell me what jam & apple pie you are talking about. I have only seen cuts and vague promises to stiff us with income tax whilst slashing the budget and leaving us in the mire.
    More powers over income tax, Glasgow shipping being more looked after than Pompey are a couple that spring to mind.
  • Options
    labour are in the crap in Scotland, the only way the SNP are going is UP

How many seats do you think labour might lose in 2015, on a net basis?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014

UK Prime Minister ‏@Number10gov 3 mins

PM: We agreed Dutch request for air accident investigators at Farnborough to retrieve data from MH17 black boxes for international analysis

But will the Russians trust us?

Interesting that the country from which MH17 departed and with the highest death count should entrust the black boxes with the UK - Is the choice of Farnborough entirely professional or part political I wonder?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited July 2014

At least Assad and Putin aren't Islamists.

Whilst the Syrian Government is secular, President Assad is an Alawite.

The Alawites, also known as Alawis (ʿAlawīyyah Arabic: علوية‎), are a prominent mystical religious group, centred in Syria, who follow a branch of the Twelver school of Shia Islam.
This discussion has been closed.