Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest from the “Polling Observatory” is that there’s been

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest from the “Polling Observatory” is that there’s been a slow decline in CON prospects but GE2015 still too close to call

Each month political scientists at a group of universities put out a GE2015 forecast under the rather grandiose banner of “The Polling Observatory” which is based on current polling and historical polling experience. The latest is in the chart above.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I agree with OGH. But.
    What if the unusual circumstances of having a set date for the election 10 months away delays the usual swing back because voters do not start to turn until they are faced with having to make a decision? At present they can definitely postpone that decision until next year. Past polling always carried the possibility that an election might be called earlier.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @Mark FPT

Some great points.

I seem to remember that a Labour MP had taken up the case of the brother of a Tory MP - who was in exactly that predicament, re: dialysis machine. I think the Tories now realise the policy is lousy, they are just working out how to reverse ferret without losing too much face.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    @Pulpstar: FPT - "Hattie's remarks are now today's chip wrappers."

I suspect we'll be hearing lots more about this between now and May 2015.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited July 2014
    Yep Labour's poll share is stubbornly high and the numbers do not seem to fit in with the press narrative, or the 'Ed is crap' meme.

I think the reason is that the prices of the things people want are outstripping their ability to pay. Homes, but other things too.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    BobaFett said:

@Mark FPT

Some great points.

I seem to remember that a Labour MP had taken up the case of the brother of a Tory MP - who was in exactly that predicament, re: dialysis machine. I think the Tories now realise the policy is lousy, they are just working out how to reverse ferret without losing too much face.

If you exclude the elderly and the disabled, what is wrong with the policy?
  • Options
    May I point out that the trend in the above graph is terminal for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Ernie Els = Ed Miliband
  • Options
    @Isam

You've answered your own question, to some degree.

The poll tax: if you disregard houses with lots of people living in them, what's wrong with the policy?
  • Options
    What is wrong is there are often no homes of the 'correct' size available to move to for those suddenly incurring this extra totally unavoidable cost that they can often not afford.

Also, as and when family circumstances changes, for example a child leaves home, there is huge disruption to the family, possibly meaning a move a long way from friends, family and work potentially threatening their ability to continue working.
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Mark FPT

Some great points.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    What does that yellow line plummeting to earth represent?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I agree with OGH. But.
    What if the unusual circumstances of having a set date for the election 10 months away delays the usual swing back because voters do not start to turn until they are faced with having to make a decision? At present they can definitely postpone that decision until next year. Past polling always carried the possibility that an election might be called earlier.

How many voters do you think know about something called "fixed term Parliament". Very few. Many probably know there will be an Election next year. In that respect, it is reallt not much different from yester years.

I think until February next year, the Election would not begin to permeate into the general consciousness. Then people will begin to chat and the full 65% would only notice when the starting gun is fired.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

May I point out that the trend in the above graph is terminal for the Lib Dems.

Indeed. Extrapolating, in another 7 years they will have NEGATIVE votes.

Something similar was my favourite from the classic Pelican statistics book, Facts From Figures. Anti-vaccination campaigners had a graph suggesting that the rate of decline in (I think) smallpox had slowed as it approached 0, and suggested this was because the rising rate of vaccination was dangerous. The author noted that the logic implied that without vaccination, we would soon see Revival of the Dead.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Nick "Icarus" Clegg.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Palmer, are you suggesting that the dead will rise from their graves, congregate as one and proclaim they were Lib Dem voters but no longer?
  • Options

What is wrong is there are often no homes of the 'correct' size available to move to for those suddenly incurring this extra totally unavoidable cost that they can often not afford.

Also, as and when family circumstances changes, for example a child leaves home, there is huge disruption to the family, possibly meaning a move a long way from friends, family and work potentially threatening their ability to continue working.

isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Mark FPT

Some great points.

I don't want to sound unkind, but if you can't afford to rent privately, and you have to rely on the state, don't you give up the right to choose where you live to a degree?

It seems a bit like the kid on the immigration programme who wanted to live in a flat in Romford and work outside complaining about immigrants who are willing to live in a shared house and do whatever minimum wage job they can get. I think he would be told to adapt by many on here who slam the idea of the so called bedroom tax
  • Options
    Didn't tim make clear to us many months ago the very reason the Lib Dems have suddenly woken up regarding the Bedroom Tax ?

tim was pooh-poohed by many in PB. He turned out to be correct. The demand and supply are in different places.
  • Options
    Indeed. Extrapolating, in another 7 years they will have NEGATIVE votes.

Interesting concept. Perhaps we should offer people one of these in exchange for their positive vote.

So you get to take one off someone's total, rather than add to someone.
  • Options
    Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage)
    17/07/2014 13:53
    Parliamentary Ombudsman should seek to scrap ElComm at once & replace it with an organisation that is fit for purpose ukip.org/electoral_comm…
  • Options
    Parliamentary Ombudsman should seek to scrap ElComm at once & replace it with an organisation that is fit for purpose ukip.org/electoral_comm…

Amen to that...
  • Options
    Slightly weird story. French blogger fined because her negative review of a restaurant was too prominent as a search result:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28331598
  • Options
    don't you give up the right to choose where you live to a degree?

The upheavals the bedroom tax is said to cause are experienced by people in the private sector constantly, to complete silence from the left.
  • Options
    F1: early basic forecast on the official site suggests thunderstorms on race day. Something to keep an eye on.

If it rains I think Vettel, Button and Hulkenberg may do better than would otherwise be the case (I have a vague notion Vettel's performed well in wet qualifying sessions this year).
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    taffys said:

don't you give up the right to choose where you live to a degree?

The upheavals the bedroom tax is said to cause are experienced by people in the private sector constantly, to complete silence from the left.

Would you expect anything different?

The masters (and mistresses) of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Indeed, Mr. Taffys. If people can't afford to live somewhere they have to move. 'The state' has no money, it all comes from taxpayers. It's not moral to insist other people pay for things for others that they themselves could never afford.

twitter.com/GABaines/status/488763301565050880/photo/1
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

Slightly weird story. French blogger fined because her negative review of a restaurant was too prominent as a search result:

Control freakery from the judge I think.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2014
    If those dotted curves represent some sort of error brackets, then we've had "cross over" pretty well the whole time.

Over the long haul the Lib Dems hopefully won't disappear: I'd like to think that a portion of the electorate don't just think in polarised black/white us/them ways. In the immediate future the LDs should/may swing it for Labour.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Control freakery from the judge I think.
    An awful judgement for freedom of speech. As a frequent reviewer (for a range of online outlets), it would horrify me if I had to think whether my review might lead to that sort of litigation.

Yes, there are people who will write reviews to be provocative or to try to get compensation - but legitimate comment should not be subject to judicial inspection.
  • Options
    145-7...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    TPO concede that with an average polling swingback the Tories will finish 2% points ahead in May.

My calculations indicate that if the 2009-2010 swingback is repeated they'll be 4.66% ahead.

The L&N, Fisher and Prosser models put the forecast lead a little higher...
  • Options
    @Taffys @Morris

Is there anybody left who still supports the bedroom tax?

A simple yes or no will suffice.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    isam said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Mark FPT

Some great points.

I don't want to sound unkind, but if you can't afford to rent privately, and you have to rely on the state, don't you give up the right to choose where you live to a degree?

It seems a bit like the kid on the immigration programme who wanted to live in a flat in Romford and work outside complaining about immigrants who are willing to live in a shared house and do whatever minimum wage job they can get. I think he would be told to adapt by many on here who slam the idea of the so called bedroom tax
    Yes, but a lot of people have jobs tying them to their existing location, and that location has no places they can move to.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Taffys @Morris

How can anyone support something that doesn't exist?

All credit to those who came up with the name - but this policy has not created a tax.

Lie about it all you like - but the truth is that it is not a tax, it never was a tax, it never will be a tax.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    You couldn't make it up.

Reports that a Malaysian airliner with 295 passengers on board has crashed in Ukraine...

777 bound from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.
  • Options
    Rod - those numbers do seem to be on the wane, from my memory.

Interesting.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

TPO concede that with an average polling swingback the Tories will finish 2% points ahead in May.

My calculations indicate that if the 2009-2010 swingback is repeated they'll be 4.66% ahead.

What do your various models & Monte-Carlo simulations suggest at the moment - me and RobD are keeping records of everyone's predictions
  • Options
    @oxfordsimon

Stop whining. You sound like Grant Shapps. It's called the bedroom tax. Get over it.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Taffys @Morris

I can't really see the problem with it if you let off the elderly and disabled.

Pay a bit more to have a spare room, move somewhere smaller if you want to pay the same.

What's wrong with that?

Seems to me another case of benefits being a lifestyle choice, rather than a safety net
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

BobaFett said:

@Taffys @Morris

How can anyone support something that doesn't exist?

All credit to those who came up with the name - but this policy has not created a tax.

Lie about it all you like - but the truth is that it is not a tax, it never was a tax, it never will be a tax.
    Er! As Obama said, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"
  • Options
    Do council house residents pay council tax?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    As the "Polling Observatory" has no Triple A (ARSE APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION) Rating then its relatively obscure contribution must be voided for want of bottom line veracity.
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    BobaFett said:

@Taffys @Morris

How can you support something that doesn't exist?

• Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Mark FPT

Some great points.

Yes, but a lot of people have jobs tying them to their existing location, and that location has no places they can move to.
    Doesn't it just mean the rent goes up though? They're not evicted, and if they have jobs it's part and parcel of life
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    RodCrosby said:

You couldn't make it up.

Reports that a Malaysian airliner with 295 passengers on board has crashed in Ukraine...

Let's hope there is an innocent explanation (writes someone in LHR waiting to fly to HKG....)

Pprune saying "dropped off the radar" which not necessarily is the same as "hitting the ground"

• Options
    The withdrawal of benefit based on excess spare room is not a tax, neither is the TV license fee nor was the community charge.

But.........................
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BobaFett said:

@oxfordsimon

Stop whining. You sound like Grant Shapps. It's called the bedroom tax. Get over it.

No it isn't. Now be a good scout and look up what it's really called.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the Commonwealth Games faces one of the challenges that any large gathering faces:

A suspected norovirus outbreak at the Commonwealth Games athletes' village in Glasgow has affected a further 20 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28351561
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

What do your various models & Monte-Carlo simulations suggest at the moment - me and RobD are keeping records of everyone's predictions

Con lead forecasts 17/7/14

L&N: 6.1%
    Chris Prosser: 5.0%
    Simple repeat of 2009: 4.7%
    Fisher: 3.0%
    TPO: 2.0% ?
    By-elections: -1.2%
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Interfax: Malaysian airliner MH17 was shot down...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

RodCrosby said:

You couldn't make it up.

Let's hope there is an innocent explanation (writes someone in LHR waiting to fly to HKG....)

Pprune saying "dropped off the radar" which not necessarily is the same as "hitting the ground"

Sky says "shot down" with picture of smoke rising from ground.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

You couldn't make it up.

Sky says "shot down" with picture of smoke rising from ground.
    not looking good:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysian-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    The problem I have with these sort of past polling models is that polling pre-92 was deeply flawed.

There no real evidence that "swingback" is usual, let alone inevitable.

If we only take elections post the (primarily) shy-Tory mini revolution in polling the sample size is tiny. And that's before we even go into the new political dynamics, coalition, 4 party politics etc.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    RodCrosby said:

Interfax: Malaysian airliner MH17 was shot down...

The USSR have an unfortunate history in shooting down commercial jets, but in this case I'll guess that Ukraine have been a bit trigger happy in trying to retaliate for the loss of their military jet...
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    SKY reporting Interfax Agency saying the plane was "brought down by a ground to air missile" not sounding good as was over Ukraine at the time.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 907
    Cyclefree said:

Nick "Icarus" Clegg.

.....but flying was so wonderful!
  • Options
    ''I can't really see the problem with it if you let off the elderly and disabled.''

The spare room subsidy does not apply to pensioners, according to Shelter's website. I think it would be churlish to deny there have been some problems with disabled people, however.
  • Options
    Ukrainian Interior Ministry: 295 dead in air disaster...
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I can't really see the problem with it if you let off the elderly and disabled.''

The spare room subsidy does not apply to pensioners, according to Shelter's website. I think it would be churlish to deny there have been some problems with disabled people, however.

There will always be difficult/borderline cases - so there is scope to refine the implementation. But as a basic concept - there should be the same rules for those in private and public rented accommodation, it is hard to argue that it is anything other than absolutely fair.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Not trying to alleviate any blame, but wouldn't it be prudent to fly round a current war zone ?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited July 2014
    Malaysian plane crash - smoke rising in distance - not verified

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48YlDSVFVMI

• Options
    Further, social science shouldn't be treated like natural science.

A population of voters can't be treated as if it obeys statistical rules in the same way a population of atoms or whatever.

To put it another way, why on earth should "swingback" be usual / inevitable?

Why should millions of voters start viewing the Government more favourably and change their minds, no matter who is in power, just because an election gets closer?
  • Options

taffys said:

There will always be difficult/borderline cases - so there is scope to refine the implementation. But as a basic concept - there should be the same rules for those in private and public rented accommodation, it is hard to argue that it is anything other than absolutely fair.
    "Always difficult cases". Stock response when the Nasty Party are hammering the most vulnerable with some spiteful filth like the Bedroom Tax.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

taffys said:

"Always difficult cases". Stock response when the Nasty Party are hammering the most vulnerable with some spiteful filth like the Bedroom Tax.
    Why are people in council houses necessarily vulnerable?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Hugh said:

taffys said:

Why are these trolls infesting the place recently?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RodCrosby said:

Not trying to alleviate any blame, but wouldn't it be prudent to fly round a current war zone ?

You would have thought that would make sense given the recent happenings there

"American officials suggested Russian weapons were behind the downing of a Ukrainian transport aircraft on Monday. Here's what they had to say:
    "On July 14th, Ukrainians lost an An-26 transport jet, which was shot down from an altitude of 21,000 feet, with eight crew on board. And only very sophisticated weapons systems would be able to reach this height.""

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10974050/Malaysian-plane-crashes-on-Ukraine-Russia-border-live.html
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014

SKY reporting Interfax Agency saying the plane was "brought down by a ground to air missile" not sounding good as was over Ukraine at the time.

Interfax is a non-governmental news agency which was formed in the late 1980s as part of Gorbachev's glasnost policy.

After Russia became a 'democratic' rather than communist state, and the role of ITAR-TASS as official government news agency was reasserted, Interfax moved away from general news to specialist financial news services.

Interfax have a sister organisation in the Ukraine.

The fact that the news of the crash was first announced by Interfax and they are leading on the story would suggest that the 'aggressor' is probably the (Kiev controlled) Ukrainian military rather than Russian forces. A state controlled news agency (whether Russian or Ukrainian) would likely be much slower and more cautious in its reporting.

It should be noted that although ITAR-TASS has now announced the crash it has made no suggestion as to cause.

• Options
    Hugh said:

taffys said:

Can you design a system that doesn't create difficult cases? No. It is simply a consequence of having to try to come up with a solution that fits a huge range of family and individual circumstances.

That isn't a stock response. It is an honest one based on the real world. Where you can make a difference is in building in enough checks and balances to deal with the difficult cases in a humane and fair manner. Has the current system been sufficient in that regard, probably not - but it doesn't undermine the central thrust of the policy which is based on fairness.

But continue spinning your hate-filled language - people will judge accordingly.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Re the Malaysian Airlines plane that has apparently been shot down over Ukraine, if you travel out from the UK/Europe to Asia, this is a common route. There would have been dozens of other aircraft that would have been on that route today. If this is due to Malaysian Airlines not carrying relevant technology so their planes can be easily identified, then I suspect that there will be major repercussions. But obviously too early to speculate.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

The fact that the news of the crash was first announced by Interfax and they are leading on the story would suggest that the 'aggressor' is probably the (Kiev controlled) Ukrainian military rather than Russian forces.

That's what I initially thought but if this flight was heading West to East and still on the Ukrainian side, then why would Ukrainian military think it was a target?

• Options
    Huff-Puff now reporting the claim by a Ukrainian minister 'rebels shot down #MH17 Malaysia Airliner'

Perhaps a little early to speculate, but planes don't normally just fall out of the sky.
  • Options

Huff-Puff now reporting the claim by a Ukrainian minister 'rebels shot down #MH17 Malaysia Airliner'

Perhaps a little early to speculate, but planes don't normally just fall out of the sky.

Passenger planes at that point in their route would be very high in the sky - would take significant technology to get a missile that high.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This is a useful radar map of the flight path and other planes in the sky

//twitter.com/flightradar24/status/489795658879348737/photo/1
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I agree with OGH. But.

How many voters do you think know about something called "fixed term Parliament". Very few. Many probably know there will be an Election next year. In that respect, it is reallt not much different from yester years.
    I think until February next year, the Election would not begin to permeate into the general consciousness. Then people will begin to chat and the full 65% would only notice when the starting gun is fired.
    The issue is not the info on a fixed term but more that the media is not in a mode of speculating about a GE in a few months and then leading voters into starting to think what they would do in a GE. i agree that February maybe when voters start to address these issues. For now they can postpone any hard decision.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Passenger planes at that point in their route would be very high in the sky - would take significant technology to get a missile that high.
    My thought also - and considering the route, one would imagine it at 33K ft as it flew over Uk/Rus border?
  • Options

Hugh said:

taffys said:

Can you design a system that doesn't create difficult cases? No. It is simply a consequence of having to try to come up with a solution that fits a huge range of family and individual circumstances.

That isn't a stock response. It is an honest one based on the real world. Where you can make a difference is in building in enough checks and balances to deal with the difficult cases in a humane and fair manner. Has the current system been sufficient in that regard, probably not - but it doesn't undermine the central thrust of the policy which is based on fairness.

But continue spinning your hate-filled language - people will judge accordingly.
    You make it sound like the Bedroom Tax was inevitable. It wasn't, it was a deliberate policy choice.

Its architects would have been well aware of its pros (some good "tough on scroungers" headlines in the Rightwing press) and cons (hardship for some of the most vulnerable people whilst saving little if any money).
  • Options
    Why are these trolls infesting the place recently?

Hugh is entitled to attack the bedroom tax if he wishes. Many labour people feel the same about it. But the outrage of labour people must always come before the county's finances, and tends to overlook practices like illegal subletting of council space.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

taffys said:

You make it sound like the Bedroom Tax was inevitable. It wasn't, it was a deliberate policy choice.

Its architects would have been well aware of its pros (some good "tough on scroungers" headlines in the Rightwing press) and cons (hardship for some of the most vulnerable people whilst saving little if any money).
    Can you justify a system where people in public sector rented accommodation have greater rights/access to benefits than those in the private sector?

I, and many others, would be interested to hear.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,492

BobaFett said:

@Taffys @Morris

How can you support something that doesn't exist?

Unfortunately the opportunity to influence the positioning of 'the bedroom tax' was lost when they decided to call it 'the ending of the spare bedroom subsidy' -which one of those phrases do you think had more traction? They should have just called it 'the bedroom cut'.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Not sure where the Mail are getting their info (or just wildly speculating), but they are reporting..

It is believed the plane was struck by BUK surface-to-air missile at 33,000ft around 20 miles before entering Russian airspace.

The shoulder-launched Russian-made BUK surface-to-air missile can be packed into a golf bag and assembled and fired very rapidly by one person with minimal training.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2696161/BREAKING-NEWS-Malaysian-passenger-plane-carrying-295-people-crashes-Ukraine-near-Russian-border.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    JonathanD said:

AveryLP said:

The fact that the news of the crash was first announced by Interfax and they are leading on the story would suggest that the 'aggressor' is probably the (Kiev controlled) Ukrainian military rather than Russian forces.

That's what I initially thought but if this flight was heading West to East and still on the Ukrainian side, then why would Ukrainian military think it was a target?

Too early to say.

My speculation is based on the Kremlinology of news reporting and not any facts.

Interesting to note though that ITAR-TASS (the official state owned news agency of Russia) is reporting that there were 280 passengers and 15 crew "all believed dead" and that "a source in air traffic control circles said earlier that there were no Russian citizens on board". So someone at the agency is well briefed!

ITAR-TASS also reported that the plane came down 60 km inside the Ukrainian border with Russia.

It should also be noted that this is the fourth plane downed by military action in the past few days:

The Russian Defense Ministry describes as absurd the Ukrainian side's accusations of a missile attack against Ukraine’s Su-25 assault plane on July 16.

July 14, the press service of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic (LPR) confirmed that the militiamen downed two planes of the Ukrainian Air Force. Earlier, the military operation staff reported that “a strike aircraft was downed near Lisichansk, and a transport plane — near Izvarino”, allegedly the An-26, with which the connection was lost earlier.

July 11, near the city of Perevalsk (Luhansk region), LPR militia downed a Ukrainian Air Force plane, allegedly a strike aircraft. July 1, they also managed to hit a Su-25 attack plane. The two pilots managed to eject. Overnight to June 14, during a landing approach in Luhansk airport, an Il-76 transport plane carrying military equipment, ammunition and reinforce, was attacked. The Ukrainian authorities confirmed the death of 49 servicemen.
    [All from ITAR-TASS].

The fact that one or other of the warring parties has now downed an international passenger jet is going to have massive implications both for cross Ukrainian flight travel and politically in escalating the Russia-Ukraine dispute to a new crisis peak.
  • Options

My thought also - and considering the route, one would imagine it at 33K ft as it flew over Uk/Rus border?

Reports are that the plane was at 33k feet and this would mean that only sophisticated missles could have shot down a plane at that height. If this is found to be Russians or Ukrainian seperatists using Russian missles, then serious consequences could follow. Could NATO forces be considered to assist Ukraine ?
  • Options
    @saddened

You must also call Canary Wharf One Canada Square and insist that West Ham don't play at Upton Park
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Reports are that the plane was at 33k feet and this would mean that only sophisticated missles could have shot down a plane at that height. If this is found to be Russians or Ukrainian seperatists using Russian missles, then serious consequences could follow. Could NATO forces be considered to assist Ukraine ?
    You know planes have crashed in the past too ! Not all are shot down. Let's wait for more news.
  • Options
    Apparently, pilots were notified 3 months ago not to fly over this area....
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Cheers for the reply - as to speculation on NATO intervention, afraid I'm not qualified to say, but I certainly feel that today's outcome 'may' have a much wider international impact.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    In the last Parliament, we basically spent the whole of Gordon Brown's premiership in a constant state of media readiness for a possible early GE. So yes, having a fixed term Parliament this time around has made a big difference to previous years, both in media coverage and voter engagement as a result.
    surbiton said:

I agree with OGH. But.

• Options
    20 Dutch on board...

Other nationalities unknown at the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    surbiton said:

hucks67 said:

You know planes have crashed in the past too ! Not all are shot down. Let's wait for more news.
    Surby

All the signs, including video coverage of smoke plume from crash, are that the plane was shot down by a sophisticated air defence missile (i.e. not a shoulder borne insurgent's bazooka!).

Very muted announcements from Kiev government, although no finger pointing yet from official Russian sources.

• Options
    @Fitalass

Evidence? I'm with Surby. Almost noone would even know what fixed term parliaments are never mind act differently because of them.
  • Options
    PB is at its worst when posters post minutely updates on developing disasters.

If people want this, there are hundreds of news sources for it.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Fitalass

Evidence? I'm with Surby. Almost noone would even know what fixed term parliaments are never mind act differently because of them.

Indeed. It is the classic PB fallacy of assuming the public at large are as interested in politics as those who post on here.
  • Options
    So Taffys, you would retain the BT presumably? Think it's a good policy?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Apparently, pilots were notified 3 months ago not to fly over this area....

Don't think it works that way. The routes are given to the pilots all the way along the route. They just put in the relevant flight path code given to them and auto pilot does the work. The plane is on a flight corridor. If you checked flight24radar, I suspect that you will see numerous other aircraft on the same route today.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited July 2014
    Autumn will be critical for the Tories I think. If things are still where they are now, by Christmas, I'll have to revise my view of Con having most seats and winning the popular share of the vote.

But for now, people are going on holiday, enjoying the weather, etc... So lets see where things are later in the year.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The solution for that would be for you to not read PB at those times wouldn't it? Or do you think you are entitled to set the agenda?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

hucks67 said:

All reports are that it was shot down. But yes the cause and who was responsible will have to be found out in due course.
  • Options
    Another ITAR-TASS release:

DONETSK, July 17. /ITAR-TASS/. Militiamen of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) brought down a military transport Antonov-26 (An-26) plane of the Ukrainian Air Force on the outskirts of the town of Torez, eyewitnesses said.
    A missile hit the An-26, it fell on the ground and caught blaze, they said.
    On July 14, militiamen of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic downed another An-26 of the Ukrainian Air Force.

It does seem like there is a shooting party going on along the Russian-Ukrainian border.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

No, it's at its worst when posters are criticising other poster's posts, rather than either ignoring that which does not interest them, or moving the discussion forward.

Global crisis - who would you prefer, PM Cameron, or PM Miliband?
  • Options
    @Isam

That's my opinion, and I'm expressing it.

If you don't like me expressing it you need not look at PB while I'm on here.

What gives you the right to set the agenda?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

How would you know? I thought you were new around these parts? Oh no, let me guess, long time lurker, short time poster.

The same could apply to reporting of election results, but PB has shown to be superior on that front, for both speed and back-story behind results.

I find generally the PB community provide some excellent info about breaking events that you don't find spoon fed to you on BBC, Sky, etc. Already learned some interesting stuff from AveryLP in regards to news sources.
This discussion has been closed.