Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The re-shuffle continued:-

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

I think - in the medium term - that Eurosceptics will be very disappointed with Mr Hammond.

Undoubtedly true, just as they were disappointed in turn with Cameron and Hague. They briefly turned to Boris before discovering he wasn't a Europhobe, and so on.

Of course there's a reason for this: the source of their disappointments is that they are blaming individuals for the constraints of reality.
    The constraints of reality being that David Cameron is too europhile to ever put a eurosceptic in a position of influence.
    So Philip Hammond, the man who would vote to leave the EU isn't a eurosceptic.

You learn something new everyday.
    TSE: Obviously, you had not noticed Hammond's choice of words. He said he could in some circumstances vote to come out of the EU. I would have thought that is an answer given by someone who thinks he can be a leader once. I also don't think May or Boris are out and out Eurosceptics either. In fact, most PBTories will not vote to leave the EU.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,789
    JohnO said:

Fox appears to have been offered ministerial role at FCO - but appears to have turned it down...

Huzzah.

Perhaps offered Hugh Robertson's job as a Minister of State? If true (who knows), Can't blame him for turning it down - such an offer would border on the insulting. And I'm no fan of his.
    I'm all in favour of insulting Liam Fox
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    edited July 2014
    Will Ollie Letwin be taking Ken's tights for State Opening's?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

No white smoke from the LibDems over their ministerial changes, if any, or are they waiting for the Conservative music to stop before they wind up the gramophone for their own tunes to play over the airwaves ?

Is there not a convention per se that discourages other parties announcing their reshuffle while others are doing theirs? – Clegg would be wise to wait until the blue ‘gramophone’ runs down before announcing his imho.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited July 2014

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

For Boba, an article on why 7x8 is one of the trickiest sums in the times tables. Jolly interesting, and it explained why my wife and I felt like we were banging our head on the wall trying to teach our 7yo the 8 times table!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28143553

As well as parroting the tables, kids need to be taught pattern recognition and partial sum banking to help with trickier sums.
    Agreed. I still remember being astounded that the sum of the odd digits equals the sum of the even digits for all multiples of 11. [I later found out this applies to multiples of 9 in base 8, multiples of 17 in hexidecimal etc. This is, IMHO, pretty cool.].

Edit: or the difference is a multiple of 11, 9, 17, etc. Obviously :)
    And in the 9x table the digits in the answer always sum to 9 - 18, 27, 36, 45, etc...
    It's the reason I only ever do my seven times table in octal.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MikeK has asked me to post this message

A few of weeks back I went too far in an attack on JackW for which I apologise. I will try to keep further comments within civilised bounds.

Thank you MikeK

I accept your apology without reservation and look forward to your return to the broad church that is PB.

I think we should be mindful of the outstanding job that Mike, Robert and the MODERATORS undertake on our behalf and note that in the ten years of PB the site has enjoyed a free flow of robust and largely civilised discourse within the context of instant publishing, that in the internet world is quite frankly an absolute marvel.

Thank you for all your efforts.
    Well said!

*Raise's a lunchtime tipple of tea to Mike and team*

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

Fox appears to have been offered ministerial role at FCO - but appears to have turned it down...

Huzzah.

Perhaps offered Hugh Robertson's job as a Minister of State? If true (who knows), Can't blame him for turning it down - such an offer would border on the insulting. And I'm no fan of his.
    I have to confess I'm beginning to lose hope. Should I ring the No 10 switchboard and ask whether they've forgotten my number?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

I think - in the medium term - that Eurosceptics will be very disappointed with Mr Hammond.

Undoubtedly true, just as they were disappointed in turn with Cameron and Hague. They briefly turned to Boris before discovering he wasn't a Europhobe, and so on.

Of course there's a reason for this: the source of their disappointments is that they are blaming individuals for the constraints of reality.
    The constraints of reality being that David Cameron is too europhile to ever put a eurosceptic in a position of influence.
    So Philip Hammond, the man who would vote to leave the EU isn't a eurosceptic.

You learn something new everyday.
    As I understand, Hammond is a "in with reform" position. And a Cameron loyalist. He'll keep out the way while Cameron decides EU policy, like Hague did.
    Cameron loyalist ? Stop embarrassing yourself check out of his views on gay marriage.

This is what he says about the EU

"If the choice is between a European Union written exactly as it is today and not being a part of that then I have to say that I'm on the side of the argument that Michael Gove has put forward," said Mr Hammond in an interview on Radio 5live's Pienaar's politics.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22500121

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    JohnO said:

I have to confess I'm beginning to lose hope. Should I ring the No 10 switchboard and ask whether they've forgotten my number?

Is your phone set to block withheld numbers? That is probably the explanation, I understand that when the call from No 10 comes through they withhold the number.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Huzzah.

I think Dave needs you where you are right now. You're too valuable to be moved.

Out of curiosity (and you're under no obligation to answer) is Phil Hammond your MP? Or is it Mr Raab?
  • Options
    Blimey O'Reilly, Julian Brazier PUSS at MoD and Desmond Swayne, Minister of State at DFID. Eeek. Next it will be Julian Lewis at the Home Office.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    This one is interesting
    "Underpass - a tool to change the result of online polls"
    I knew there was something wrong with the old TOTY vote!

The last TOTY vote was a masterpiece of democracy that I understand those bastions of free and fair elections in North Korea, Zimbabwe and Hackney have been studying most carefully for many years.

The fact that I was the triumphant winner of that vote by a landslide of one vote is of little relevance to my declaring the vote an object lesson in fundamental and complete electoral impartiality.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Blimey O'Reilly, Julian Brazier PUSS at MoD and Desmond Swayne, Minister of State at DFID. Eeek. Next it will be Julian Lewis at the Home Office.

Sir Bill Cash as Europe Minister?
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Huzzah.

I think Dave needs you where you are right now. You're too valuable to be moved.

Out of curiosity (and you're under no obligation to answer) is Phil Hammond your MP? Or is it Mr Raab?
    Elmbridge covers all of Esher and Walton and some of Runnymede and Weybridge.

As a Hershamite, Dom Raab is my own MP - I'm watching out for him, but don't expect he'll get anything.
  • Options
    No news as yet as regards the UK's EU Commissioner appointment? - This now looks virtually certain to come from the Lords...... Maybe Michael Howard, Baroness Hogg .... anyone have other ideas?
  • Options

No news as yet as regards the UK's EU Commissioner appointment? - This now looks virtually certain to come from the Lords...... Maybe Michael Howard, Baroness Hogg .... anyone have other ideas?

Already announced - it's Lord Hill, Leader of the Lords
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

You have missed the announcement that Lord Hill (leader of HoL) has been nominated

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    This one is interesting
    "Underpass - a tool to change the result of online polls"
    I knew there was something wrong with the old TOTY vote!

Ah. That explains Obama's Nobel. Couple of sherries too many at the GCHQ Christmas do, and an unlikely wager is struck...
  • Options
    JackW said:

No white smoke from the LibDems over their ministerial changes, if any, or are they waiting for the Conservative music to stop before they wind up the gramophone for their own tunes to play over the airwaves ?

The Lib Dem reshuffle will be in September, after indy ref.

Jo Swinson will replace Carmichael as the Scottish Viceroy.

Is meant to help her retain her seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Noting that Oliver Letwin is now one of the Great Officers of State as Lord Privy Seal but is he in the Cabinet or attending as previously ?

Run for the hills.

For unerring bad judgement, combined with complete unsuitability for office, no one comes close to Oliver Letwin.

Come come Sir.

Ollie has always struck me as an amiable fellow for the back room jobs. As Stan said "we all need an Ollie."

• Options
    Oops, sorry guys, I missed that.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Huzzah.

Elmbridge covers all of Esher and Walton and some of Runnymede and Weybridge.

As a Hershamite, Dom Raab is my own MP - I'm watching out for him, but don't expect he'll get anything.
    Thanks, I like Mr Raab too.

I was hoping Phil Hammond was your MP and you could provide us with some gossip
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited July 2014

JackW said:

The Lib Dem reshuffle will be in September, after indy ref.

Jo Swinson will replace Carmichael as the Scottish Viceroy.

Is meant to help her retain her seat.
    With Chippenham a LD-Con marginal, it could well be she and her husband both lose their seats in 2015, which would be embarrassing to say the least.
  • Options

JackW said:

Is there not a convention per se that discourages other parties announcing their reshuffle while others are doing theirs? – Clegg would be wise to wait until the blue ‘gramophone’ runs down before announcing his imho.
    Normally yes in the context of single party government. However this Coalition government hasn't always adopted this position and has effectively operated as a joint enterprise where it has suited it.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

You have missed the announcement that Lord Hill (leader of HoL) has been nominated

Who is he ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I'm watching out for him, but don't expect he'll get anything.

Dom Raab is often to be seen traveling home on public transport. Gets off at Esher...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Has Harriet commented on the lack of a 100% female cabinet yet?

More subtly, are the women sitting round the Cabinet table paid on average less than the men?
  • Options

This will cheer you up

Ladbrokes Politics @LadPolitics · 3h

Lord Hill was 20/1 to be next EU Commissioner. No-one backed him. Ladbrokes owe PM a drink. #reshuffle
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Stephen Crabb, the new Secretary of State for Wales, looks like an interesting fellow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Crabb
  • Options
    taffys said:

I'm watching out for him, but don't expect he'll get anything.

Dom Raab is often to be seen traveling home on public transport. Gets off at Esher...

He does indeed...he's a thoroughly good egg.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,741

This will cheer you up

Lord Hill was 20/1 to be next EU Commissioner. No-one backed him. Ladbrokes owe PM a drink. #reshuffle
    A true 'lay the favourite' market by Shadsy then...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited July 2014
    Ed Vaizey Minister of State at DCMS and BIS.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014

This will cheer you up

He's no slouch that Shadsy, even if he doesn't bother replying to my polite requests for a particular market.

It will be interesting to see how the polls react to this reshuffle. I'm hoping to land [soon] my 9/2 bet with PP, placed 12/9/13 that the Tories would next lead during H2 2014 in terms of GE VI with YouGov.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054

This will cheer you up

He's no slouch that Shadsy, even if he doesn't bother replying to my polite requests for a particular market.

It will be interesting to see how the polls react to this reshuffle. I'm hoping to land [soon] my 9/2 bet with PP, placed 12/9/13 that the Tories would lead during H2 2014 in terms of GE VI with YouGov.

That was an excellent bet
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Normally yes in the context of single party government. However this Coalition government hasn't always adopted this position and has effectively operated as a joint enterprise where it has suited it.
    Good point, - really ought to remember a coalition can throw up all sorts of odd balls.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    I see the blob are all over the media...no change....no change...no change...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ah, Brandon Lewis promoted to Minister of State at CLG but no mention of additional responsibilities. Nothing about Kris Hopkins, Housing Minister, so he's probably safe.

Uncle Eric confirms he's staying in post.
  • Options
    Do we have a Minister For Fracking yet?
  • Options

This will cheer you up

It will be interesting to see how the polls react to this reshuffle. I'm hoping to land [soon] my 9/2 bet with PP, placed 12/9/13 that the Tories would next lead during H2 2014 in terms of GE VI with YouGov.

I expect there will be no changes in the polls because of the reshuffle.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

No, but now we have a Minister for Life Sciences....is that to encourage home cooking?
  • Options

This will cheer you up

I expect there will be no changes in the polls because of the reshuffle.
    He's got about 140? or so polls to land it though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This will cheer you up

It will be interesting to see how the polls react to this reshuffle. I'm hoping to land [soon] my 9/2 bet with PP, placed 12/9/13 that the Tories would lead during H2 2014 in terms of GE VI with YouGov.

Hopefully so - but it should be remembered that there were at the time five possible alternatives:
    H2 2013
    H1 2014
    H2 2014
    Pre GE 2015
    Post GE 2015
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

This will cheer you up

Hopefully so - but it should be remembered that there were at the time five possible alternatives:
    H2 2013
    H1 2014
    H2 2014
    Pre GE 2015
    Post GE 2015
    The main obstacle was dodging the early two.

I reckon you have a ~ Evens chance of landing it right now.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Glad to see Dr Fox isn't back ... another plus for the blue team reshuffle.
  • Options
    ticker - "The BBC's Norman Smith says the reshuffle has proved to be a "day of surprises", with many more changes than were widely expected."

Being out of the loop is odd thing to brag about for a chief political correspondent..! hey ho.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    I see almost 40% of votes in the EU Parliament were cast against the appointment of Jean Claude Junker. There must have been several countries in which a majority of MEPs voted against him.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

No, but now we have a Minister for Life Sciences....is that to encourage home cooking?
    We do need someone that can go out into the public and sell fracking to the NIMBY's without being obnoxious about it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. StClare, not quite as good/bad as when Robinson (political editor of the BBC) apologised for not bothering to report the depths of the Blair-Brown feud a decade late.
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    With Gove in many ways his job was done, in England new curriculum from September, A Levels reformed next year and GSCE's virtually scrapped and started again the year after. For a secondary school teacher your job will change and change dramatically.

I don't work in schools so I don't know if these enormous changes can be implemented realistically, so fast. As a parent though and employer of young people I thank Mr Gove for his work because change was needed. Any person who says otherwise was distanced from reality, those GCSE Exams were on their way to worthlessness.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Was he playing centre half in the semi final?

Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline)
    15/07/2014 14:00
    Brazilian man's birth certificate shows he turned 126 last week dailym.ai/W6Pjhp
  • Options

ticker - "The BBC's Norman Smith says the reshuffle has proved to be a "day of surprises", with many more changes than were widely expected."

Being out of the loop is odd thing to brag about for a chief political correspondent..! hey ho.

Indeed - I doubt Sky's Adam Boulton would say such a thing!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    edited July 2014
    The Gove sacking is a good move politically and from a policy perspective. I think it will help the Tories immensely and will probably be very good news for the country's schoolchildren (and their parents) too. We have examples of best practice staring us in the face:

http://stephentall.org/2014/06/23/why-are-london-schools-so-good-politicians-have-been-looking-in-the-wrong-place-for-the-answers/

Start in the primary schools and build from there. All the evidence points to significant improvements at primary level. Where things have gone wrong is continuing that into secondaries - except in London.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited July 2014

This will cheer you up

Saint Ashcoft re-tweeted a post from Ben Brogan made in early Jun suggesting Lord Hill for the Commsnr job... also saying the telegraph were lucky to have him... oh

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I am amazed at how well the mechanics of the reshuffle have gone. Very few leaks in advance, scope and size well hidden from us, and no real media spoilers in advance. Remarkable discipline for the Tory Party.

Before the recess is a sensible time to hold the reshuffle, giving the new job title holders time to gather a rudimentary understanding of the brief before the next session of parliament and the party conferences. As the only major reshuffle of the parliament it is right that it should be wider ranging, as after 4 years there are areas that need a shake up. I still think the lack of ministerial musical chairs is one of the better aspects of this administration, it gives ministers a chance to become competent and achieve and follow through changes.

A rare outbreak of Tory competence, but I have no idea if the changes are good, bad or indifferent. Only time will tell

• Options
    edited July 2014

Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. StClare, not quite as good/bad as when Robinson (political editor of the BBC) apologised for not bothering to report the depths of the Blair-Brown feud a decade late.

Indeed Mr Dancer, it takes a certain skill set to be that blind; he should have read PB.com. ; )
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

The Gove sacking is a good move politically and from a policy perspective. I think it will help the Tories immensely and will probably be very good news for the country's schoolchildren (and their parents) too. We have examples of best practice staring us in the face:

http://stephentall.org/2014/06/23/why-are-london-schools-so-good-politicians-have-been-looking-in-the-wrong-place-for-the-answers/

Start in the primary schools and build from there. All the evidence points to significant improvements at primary level. Where things have gone wrong is continuing that into secondaries - except in London.

Yes Gove has done a good job, bringing back meaningful exams.. His job was well done given the opposition he faced.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    Do we need all these Ministers? What the hell do they all do?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Cyclefree said:

Do we need all these Ministers? What the hell do they all do?

Give other MPs hope of getting a government job one day even if they will never be at the top table, and so keep at least some of them quiescent.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yes Gove has done a good job, bringing back meaningful exams.. His job was well done given the opposition he faced.

In the end a reforming education secretary needs to have teachers on his/her side - especially when their working conditions are being changed, mainly for the worst. I have never had any doubts about Gove's genuine desire to reform, but I am pretty certain he does not have the skills necessary to ensure that what he wants to happen actually comes to pass; or the ideological pragmatism to see beyond what he instinctively thinks *should* work and to be open to embracing ideas that may not immediately fit in with his beliefs system. He also alienates a lot of voters. Thus, the Tories and the country may reap a significant dividend from his departure.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Twitterati in jubilation at Michael Gove's downfall.

#GoveGone
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

A pretty poor opinion and a pretty poor headline. Hague wanted to go and he stays for the end of the parliament. Few people seem to be thonking about his wife at this juncture. Clarke is 74. Gove has been in education for 4 years and the reforms have been passed; he has done all the dirty work. He is still around as chief whip, and that is not a bad place to be for a leadershp election and he will be doing media and can trawl the constituencies. Patterson? He is a AGW sceptic (like me) - but so what, what evidence is there that that is the defining reason for him going?

I do not see much educated comment on this reshuffle. It seems quite canny to me.

Tories - toxic yesterday, weak today, according to a Lib Dem. LOL.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    *Betting related post*

It looks like Liverpool want to sign Wilfred Bony, he's currently 25/1 to be Premier League top goal scorer.

If he signs for Liverpool, and with respect to Swansea, he's going to have more chances to score.

So his odds should tumble a fair bit from 25/1

This has the hallmarks of a good trading bet.

But as Peter from Putney says, DYOR.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-goalscorer

Edit: Rumours also abound that Brendan wants to sign Lukakau, so the same principles apply there, and he's 20/1
  • Options
    Ed Balls has completed his World Cup Panini sticker collection.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

In the end a reforming education secretary needs to have teachers on his/her side - especially when their working conditions are being changed, mainly for the worst. I have never had any doubts about Gove's genuine desire to reform, but I am pretty certain he does not have the skills necessary to ensure that what he wants to happen actually comes to pass; or the ideological pragmatism to see beyond what he instinctively thinks *should* work and to be open to embracing ideas that may not immediately fit in with his beliefs system. He also alienates a lot of voters. Thus, the Tories and the country may reap a significant dividend from his departure.
    The problem with this, SO, is that the teaching unions are overtly political. If an education secretary wearing a red rosette rather than a blue one had implemented identical reforms they would have passed without a whimper from them. Gove's reforms are uncontroversial, tougher exams and more concentration on concepts and understanding. Taking teachers along with that should not be such a difficult prospect and had the SoS been wearing a red rosette it would not have been.

Also congratulations on reaching a huge milestone with your marriage!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Noting that Oliver Letwin is now one of the Great Officers of State as Lord Privy Seal but is he in the Cabinet or attending as previously ?

Run for the hills.

For unerring bad judgement, combined with complete unsuitability for office, no one comes close to Oliver Letwin.

Come come Sir.

Ollie has always struck me as an amiable fellow for the back room jobs. As Stan said "we all need an Ollie."

isagree with Sean on this. In my opinion the most impressive Minister for brainpower and commitment, though I wouldn't put him high in the bacon butty eating stakes.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

*Betting related post*

It looks like Liverpool want to sign Wilfred Bony, he's currently 25/1 to be Premier League top goal scorer.

If he signs for Liverpool, and with respect to Swansea, he's going to have more chances to score.

Edit: Rumours also abound that Brendan wants to sign Lukakau, so the same principles apply there, and he's 20/1

Head to Betfair - longer odds there (And easier to trade if the signings happen...)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ''Taking teachers along with that should not be such a difficult prospect and had the SoS been wearing a red rosette it would not have been. ''

So Gove was right to be radical then. If he'd merely treaded water, even that would have been wrong for the NUT.

The NUT want education to be run for the teachers, not the pupils. We see an example of this in Wales. Result? Third world standards at first world prices.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The problem with this, SO, is that the teaching unions are overtly political. If an education secretary wearing a red rosette rather than a blue one had implemented identical reforms they would have passed without a whimper from them. Gove's reforms are uncontroversial, tougher exams and more concentration on concepts and understanding. Taking teachers along with that should not be such a difficult prospect and had the SoS been wearing a red rosette it would not have been.

Also congratulations on reaching a huge milestone with your marriage!

The teaching unions were very critical of Labour too and consistently called on their members to strike. They were largely ignored. What Gove managed to do that previous education secretaries failed to do was to alienate ordinary teachers - the vast majority of whom would be natural supporters of reforms that promised them more time to prepare lessons, more freedom to teach in the way they see fit, less admin, a greater ability to get rid of bad teachers and so on. And this after so many ordinary teachers had actually supported the Tories at the last GE.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

*Betting related post*

Head to Betfair - longer odds there (And easier to trade if the signings happen...)
    Cheers
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,741

*Betting related post*

Whilst not wanting to disagree with you on a football bet - couldn't you argue that at Liverpool he will be one of many, rather the out and out key striker, and so whilst there are likely to be more goals, they will also be shared around more? (The extreme of this is that you are much less likely to be Top-Goalscorer warming the winning teams bench than the relegation teams key man - see Demba Ba Newcastle to Chelsea)
  • Options
    Lennon said:

*Betting related post*

Whilst not wanting to disagree with you on a football bet - couldn't you argue that at Liverpool he will be one of many, rather the out and out key striker, and so whilst there are likely to be more goals, they will also be shared around more? (The extreme of this is that you are much less likely to be Top-Goalscorer warming the winning teams bench than the relegation teams key man - see Demba Ba Newcastle to Chelsea)
    No, those are fair points.

I think my logic is, if he signs for Liverpool, his odds will drop significantly to allow for a decent trade out.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267
    A real shame that Dominic Grieve has gone and that incompetent fool Grayling is still in post. Not at all sure that Cameron really understands what the rule of law means nor why it is essential to have really heavy weight lawyers as advisors to the government, especially if they tell you what you don't want to hear.

Labour were weakened by having Goldsmith as their AG; he was weak and gave poor advice and he damaged his own professional standing.
  • Options
    1 Luis Suárez 31 Liverpool
    2 Daniel Sturridge 21 Liverpool
    3 Yaya Touré 20 Manchester City
    4 Wayne Rooney 17 Manchester United
    4 Sergio Agüero 17 Manchester City
    6 Olivier Giroud 16 Arsenal
    6 Edin Dzeko 16 Manchester City
    6 Wilfried Bony 16 Swansea City
    9 Jay Rodriguez 15 Southampton
    9 Romelu Lukaku 15 Everton

Last season.
  • Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Correct.

Also a clear lurch yet further to the Right in an attempt to keep his fruitloop backbenchers appeased.

Laughably weak.
  • Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Let's hope Truss turns out better than the last Tory to draw quiet comparisons with Mrs T - namely the terminally dim Murdoch lackey Louise Mensch.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

9 Romelu Lukaku 15 Everton

Last season.

Any update on where he will be playing this season ?

• Options
    2012:

1 Robin Van Persie Manchester United 26
    2 Luis Suarez Liverpool 23
    3 Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur 21
    4 Christian Benteke Aston Villa 19
    5 Michu Swansea City 18
    6 Romelu Lukaku West Bromwich Albion 17
    7 Frank Lampard Chelsea 15
    8 Dimitar Berbatov Fulham 15
    9 Demba Ba Chelsea / Newcastle 15
    10 Rickie Lambert Southampton 15
  • Options

*Betting related post*

Bony is different class in my opinion, fantastic goals per game ratio, I'd love Arsenal to get him.

Not sure about the trading bet part though... His current odds probably have a move priced in.

I like the look of Swansea to be relegated at 11/2 myself... New manager w no experience plus all the best players want out... Never a good combo

• Options
    edited July 2014
    One final thought on the reshuffle

Kenneth Clarke became a Govt whip before Liz Truss and Nicky Morgan were even born and he was an MP before George Osborne was born.
  • Options
    A real shame that Dominic Grieve has gone and that incompetent fool Grayling is still in post.

Big defeat in the courts for Grayling today on attempt to apply residency test to legal aid eligibility...

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jul/15/legal-aid-high-court-residence-test-discrimination-grayling
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

2012:

1 Robin Van Persie Manchester United 26
    2 Luis Suarez Liverpool 23
    3 Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur 21
    4 Christian Benteke Aston Villa 19
    5 Michu Swansea City 18
    6 Romelu Lukaku West Bromwich Albion 17
    7 Frank Lampard Chelsea 15
    8 Dimitar Berbatov Fulham 15
    9 Demba Ba Chelsea / Newcastle 15
    10 Rickie Lambert Southampton 15

Eurgh

Was on Michu ew at big prices first 4!

Was second for a long while and only pipped for 4th in last week of season

Suarez was a big winner too... Then he bit Ivanovic!

Rvp small winner, Bale would've been horrific

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good afternoon folks. I have been re-admitted into the PB arena and better yet my iMac is fixed and Apple graciously declined payment.

What a momentous 24 hours leaving Cammo weaker than ever as well as making new enemies.

My twitter to Dan Hannan is making the rounds over 20 retweets so far:

Silver Shoes and 14 others retweeted you 6h: @DanHannanMEP Cameron is a big bluffer, he will never fight to leave the EU in any referendum. You know it; the Tories know it; all know it
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MaxPB said:

<

Eh? Upon what planet do you reside? The teaching unions, all of which are unaffiliated to any party, were unremittingly hostile throughout Labour's time in office: they saw us as tiresome busybodies and the Tories made hay with the claim that they'd leave teachers in peace to pursue their professional careers. I used to meet teachers who'd say "I'm voting to get you out as you're Labour" just as I now meet people who say the reverse.

• Options
    @MikeK – good to see you back posting again ‘old timer’ ; )
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Moving Gove and with Hague willing to take more of a party role before retiring allows the reshuffle to be quite meaningful. It looks quite good to me - assuming as someone else says - the new incumbents show a modicum of nous. Hague gets a chance to do what he does best in parliament and Gove can do something similar around the constituencies (if they have any sense).
    The govt presents a fresh face to to the electorate. And of course Hague gets a life peerage and stays on parliament anyway.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,614
    MikeK said:

Good afternoon folks. I have been re-admitted into the PB arena and better yet my iMac is fixed and Apple graciously declined payment.

What a momentous 24 hours leaving Cammo weaker than ever as well as making new enemies.

Silver Shoes and 14 others retweeted you 6h: @DanHannanMEP Cameron is a big bluffer, he will never fight to leave the EU in any referendum. You know it; the Tories know it; all know it

Welcome back Mike; I am of the let them be damned by their own words school of PB contributor but I understand OGH's desire to keep a sensible ship so I'm glad you're back.

Your 20x retweeted tweet is a classic example of a "straw man" argument. Cam said he would fight for a better deal for the UK in europe and would hold a referendum to allow us to decide if we agreed with whatever outcome he achieved. He never said he would "fight to leave the EU" and I believe he is, broadly, a fan of the UK remaining a member.

He was also, of course, right about what too many tweets make.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    What went wrong with Esther McVey? Of all the female MP's briefed for promotion she was the most heavily tipped , the Daily Mail even put her on the front page today in expectation of a cabinet post, yet came away almost empty handed. Doesn't Cameron like her?

And what does IDS have over Cameron that he survives yet again when even Gove got demoted?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,614
    dodrade said:

And what does IDS have over Cameron that he survives yet again when even Gove got demoted?

It's a toxification issue.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

I am not sure what to say here but I'll risk saying that it seems you're glad to be back so you can promote yourself on twitter. Not a good reason it seems to me.
    I know nothing of this twitter thing but I see someone else has pointed out the fallaciousness of your argument.
  • Options
    Looking all over ICM website - are their tables up yet ?
  • Options
    isam said:

*Betting related post*

Bony is different class in my opinion, fantastic goals per game ratio, I'd love Arsenal to get him.

Not sure about the trading bet part though... His current odds probably have a move priced in.

I like the look of Swansea to be relegated at 11/2 myself... New manager w no experience plus all the best players want out... Never a good combo

Fernando Torres can be backed at 80 with Betfair (aka 75/1 net), how are the mighty fallen. Although in fairness he probably won't be playing in the Premier League next season.

• Options
    John McTernan views life through his own hate filled approach to politics. Completely wrong. No wonder his advice helped the SNP win in Scotland and helped the Liberals win in Australia.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

Welcome back Mike; I am of the let them be damned by their own words school of PB contributor but I understand OGH's desire to keep a sensible ship so I'm glad you're back.

Your 20x retweeted tweet is a classic example of a "straw man" argument. Cam said he would fight for a better deal for the UK in europe and would hold a referendum to allow us to decide if we agreed with whatever outcome he achieved. He never said he would "fight to leave the EU" and I believe he is, broadly, a fan of the UK remaining a member.

Straw Man became Iron Man in Cammo's PR offensive. We know that the PM want's desperately for the UK to stay in the EU; but many - the majority - have come to think his offer of renegotiation and a vote thought he said it would be a fair IN/OUT referendum. It won't, and many Tories hope his two-faced trick will just ease the Tories into government in 2015. That trick is now wearing off, fast, yet you must hope that it stays the course.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeK said:

Good afternoon folks. I have been re-admitted into the PB arena.

Great - we were short of hectoring Kippers blind to their plunging poll ratings.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2014
    MikeK said:

What a momentous 24 hours leaving Cammo weaker than ever as well as making new enemies. My twitter to Dan Hannan is making the rounds over 20 retweets so far:
    @DanHannanMEP Cameron is a big bluffer, he will never fight to leave the EU in any referendum. You know it; the Tories know it; all know it

1. It is not clear that the shuffle will leave Cameron weaker. It could show that there is now a plan to win the GE.
    2. Regarding your twitter about Cameron, I can recall Hannan actually writing articles saying that Cameron will not attempt to negotiate major repatriations of powers (referred to the competencies list). So why attack Hannan when he has said much the same as you?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,024
    dodrade said:

What went wrong with Esther McVey? Of all the female MP's briefed for promotion she was the most heavily tipped , the Daily Mail even put her on the front page today in expectation of a cabinet post, yet came away almost empty handed. Doesn't Cameron like her?

Was critical of Miller for not resigning. And she appears on the front page of the Daily Mail for reasons more to do with her figure than her promotion.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

Straw Man became Iron Man in Cammo's PR offensive. We know that the PM want's desperately for the UK to stay in the EU; but many - the majority - have come to think his offer of renegotiation and a vote thought he said it would be a fair IN/OUT referendum. It won't, and many Tories hope his two-faced trick will just ease the Tories into government in 2015. That trick is now wearing off, fast, yet you must hope that it stays the course.
    Were you banned for being a boring troll?

Are you familiar with the concept of learning from your mistakes?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,591
    This is a compliment and a half:

"Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, says "Dominic Grieve QC is one of the finest attorneys general of modern times who always put the law first and populist politics second. The coalition government has lost one of its sharpest minds, but the country may have gained a freer and even more outspoken advocate for human rights."

The moves on the Law Officers are concerning. Are the tories really going to commit themselves to withdrawing from the ECHR? The Court can be seriously annoying but that would be an extraordinary step for a Western government supposedly committed to the extension of human rights to take.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    I wonder if May fancied being "reshuffled"?

"Asylum seeker benefits fraud 'not being tackled'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28314836
  • Options

isam said:

*Betting related post*

Fernando Torres can be backed at 80 with Betfair (aka 75/1 net), how are the mighty fallen. Although in fairness he probably won't be playing in the Premier League next season.

By my ratings he is the worst striker in the premiership in terms of value to team!

This discussion has been closed.