Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The re-shuffle continued:-

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The re-shuffle continued:-

Theme of the #reshuffle is weakness. Teachers hate Gove; green lobby hate Paterson; euro-sceptics hate Clarke/Hague. All shall have scalps.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336
    FPT
    @ydoethur

Interesting posts. I hope you hang around and continue to contribute.

My sister is a teacher in Scotland and her views are the problems are not with the teachers (who generally work very hard and are conscientious) but with the teacher training which is largely warmed over Marxist sociology with an inadequate focus on actual teaching skills.

I think the problem Gove had was that every idea, no matter how sensible, was opposed which made it much harder for him to see that the opposition had a point when it did. The rate of change was also destabilising.

In Scotland we have had the cultural revolution of Curriculum for Excellence which is a very mixed bag and has put tremendous stress on teachers learning new methods and new curricula at the same time. I fear Gove was doing something similar. There comes a point in any organisation that permanent revolution is a recipe for failure, not success.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Jack W should have been promoted as Minister For ARSE's
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,522
    Ladbrokes Politics @LadPolitics · 17m

Lord Hill was 20/1 to be next EU Commissioner. No-one backed him. Ladbrokes owe PM a drink.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Matt Hancock takes over from Fallon at Business/Energy -another one who will attend Cabinet.

At this rate, they are going to need a much, much bigger table
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    My view is that Gove's move will help the Tories.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    FPT BobaFett said:

@Hurst
    True enough - literacy and numeracy are supremely important and need to be drilled in.

The date an ancient king died does not. There's an app for that.

A general level of basic facts is not, however, harmful. Knowing the broad historical development of the nation we live in is important as well, it contextualizes everything. It takes up little time to ensure some general facts and skills alongside the more aspirational aims of inspiration etc etc, along with basic literacy and numeracy.

Did Gove put too much emphasis on that focus on facts? Maybe, people hardly need to know a great deal of specific detail of arcane facts, but I regard it as pretty shameful that I managed to get to get through school without being taught anything about the British Civil Wars of the 17th century, to pick one example. Even if most of the specifics are not necessary to know, the impact of those events were hugely significant in determining how the country has ended up in the style it is now, and understanding how we got to where we are is very useful in figuring out why things are the way they are and how they perhaps should be and how to achieve that.
  • Options
    @DavidL
    I think "Marxist sociology" is, strictly speaking, tautological.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Thing is with all these unknowns (no offence) is that it will fall on the knowns to fight GE2015.

I don't see Gove taking a back seat in that department so Cam has retained the intellect but drawn the poison amongst educators.

Not that the rantings of the NUT seem to have lightened up but they might find such outbursts self-defeating if directed at a jet-fresh female SoS.
  • Options
    John McTernan is talking out of his hat.

Owen Paterson was fired because he was rubbish, on floods, on the badger cull.
  • Options

I think all of these moves are designed to help the Tories - time will tell how big the impact will be.

It does seem to be a very well-considered reshuffle - which adds credence to the line that Gove has been working with DC on it for the past fortnight.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    McTernan is wrong. There are two themes here: promotion of women, as promised back in 2009 and at the time specified then, and concentration of power (further concentration, one might say) in the hands of Cameron, Osborne and, effectively, Lynton Crosby.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Thing is with all these unknowns (no offence) is that it will fall on the knowns to fight GE2015.

I don't see Gove taking a back seat in that department so Cam has retained the intellect but drawn the poison amongst educators.

Not that the rantings of the NUT seem to have lightened up but they might find such outbursts self-defeating if directed at a jet-fresh female SoS.

Don't confuse the ranting of the NUT with the vast bulk of teachers who were totally alienated by Gove. He was massive turn off.

• Options
    We of course have yet to have the ultimate bombshell appointment: a working class person from the north and no the new Welsh SoS doesn't count.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,857
    I think there's traction in the idea this reshuffle is about weakness. In a sense most will be of course, moving the team around to strengthen it, but Gove is certainly gone because he is so hated by the sector he's been in charge of, so it's worth seeing if any damage can be mitigated somewhat. Clarke and Hague can be chalked up as genuine retirements (more so Clarke than Hague) but one of Cameron's core needs is appeasing the eurosceptics, so that colours most things he does.

Anyway, must be off - well done to Cameron for saving some reshuffling until there's some major ones to make, keeps them an interesting event.

Just heard Clarke talking about needing to defend human rights against, among other things, the 'modern all powerful state' - yet another very unpopular view of his among any political party it appears these days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited July 2014

Enough to take hold Sherwood :) ?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Don't confuse the ranting of the NUT with the vast bulk of teachers who were totally alienated by Gove. He was massive turn off.

I mentioned that in my earlier post, Mike - the sheer volume and tone of every teacher interviewed today and the presumed representation of the broad "teacher" view meant that Gove had become "the story" and it was not wrong to let him go.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,336

@DavidL
    I think "Marxist sociology" is, strictly speaking, tautological.

I take your point. It is like Keynesian macro economics. Both of them wrote the language in which all their successors speak, whatever their views.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    edited July 2014
    I think the tweet at the top is a bit lazy and misleading.

Clarke and Hague were widely expected to go for their own reasons.

Yes, Paterson may be disliked by greens, but he also didn't seem to handle the floods well.

Gove and the teachers is the only one that fits the scalps line, really.

Edited extra bit: and Thatcher 2.0 is a bad line for Truss. She'll disappoint those who like Thatcher (imitations almost never match, let alone exceed, originals), it'll instantly put off those indoctrinated since birth that Thatcher was Satan, and it makes it harder for her to carve out her own identity.

As Maria Sharapova said: "I'm not the second anyone. I'm the first Maria Sharapova."
  • Options
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 1m

I understand Osborne opposed Gove move but dire opinion polling presented by Lynton Crosby of MG's standing with teachers forced change.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

I think the tweet at the top is a bit lazy and misleading.

Clarke and Hague were widely expected to go for their own reasons.

Yes, Paterson may be disliked by greens, but he also didn't seem to handle the floods well.

Gove and the teachers is the only one that fits the scalps line, really.

Edited extra bit: and Thatcher 2.0 is a bad line for Truss. She'll disappoint those who like Thatcher (imitations almost never match, let alone exceed, originals), it'll instantly put off those indoctrinated since birth that Thatcher was Satan, and it makes it harder for her to carve out her own identity.

As Maria Sharapova said: "I'm not the second anyone. I'm the first Maria Sharapova."

Gove's gone because the Conservatives are fighting the 2015 election, not 2010 all over again. The water will not flow back under the bridge. Certainly it is a vote-winning move (or designed to be) - is that really weakness?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315
    FPT reply to @DavidL:

Thanks. I'll add a quick reply before I have to return to my paperwork.

I agree about teachers. Even though sometimes my colleagues seem to me to be missing the point, they do all work hard and they do all want to do well for the children. Otherwise, they tend not to last long because the job is so demanding and so stressful. As one very wise old music teacher said to me, 'Teachers don't wake up on Monday morning wondering how they can ruin the education of 500 children this week.'

I'm not sure I would agree about training. My training course was not like the one described - but that was in the South of England and I appreciate in Scotland it may be very different. I was a teacher both before and after doing a PGCE (long story) and I'm in no doubt whatsoever that I am a far better teacher after doing the PGCE than I was before, because I did indeed learn new teaching skills on the course (and I didn't hear any Marxism, although Vygotsky reared his head). That's not to say every person who wants to be a teacher has to be qualified (which is the NUT position) - merely that I'm not a 'natural' teacher and while I could muddle along on instinct and common sense I had to take the trouble to learn it before I was good at it.

I think a large part of the problem was the LEA system - it had some good points but having worked in a couple of LEA schools, then an academy, corruption and complacency were becoming big problems. This also spread its tentacles into school management. However, Gove's attempts to get rid of them were being opposed, at the finish, simply because the idea came from him.

I also agree entirely about the destabilising effect of change - in England, a new national curriculum is in force from September, a fairly drastically altered A-level from the following September and a completely revamped GCSE (bearing no resemblance to the old one) from September 2016. Reworking all the resources, planning new schemes of work and doing all the necessary preparation is going to be hard. It's also going to be extremely costly - I'm estimating a bill of at least £1,000 for each change for my department alone, and I could be being optimistic. And that's in a private school where I have the money to spend. The new GCSE is actually pretty good, better than the one we have now - but it should really have been phased in much more slowly and much more carefully resourced.

Again, we come back to Gove's reluctance to distinguish between good ideas and bad ideas, and his habit of ignoring sensible warnings.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    FPT:

"The date an ancient king died does not. There's an app for that. "

This sums up everything that to me is wrong. Unless you have a basic understanding of the facts - the narrative - of our history and that of other countries, of basic scientific concepts, of mathematical concepts etc, how on earth do you know that what you are being told is true. How can you ask intelligent questions? How on earth do you think that you can design an app or whatever will replace them?

Education is not just a collection of random facts that you pick up from an app, anymore than if you collected facts from an encyclopaedia or words from a dictionary. That's just confusing the sort of random knowledge that might win you points on a pub quiz team with education. You need a good solid basic understanding of what happened, how things work, how to use numbers, how to express yourself etc,. Without this, you will always struggle no matter how many apps you have.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,315
    And finally, to confirm what Mike Smithson has said, Gove was definitely unpopular with far more than just the NUT leadership. Many, probably the overwhelming majority, of teachers genuinely had what amounted to a swivel-eyed hatred for him (yes, really, you do get people who will rant, stamp and shout at the mere mention of his name). Just because the NUT are almost as derided and unpopular outside a hardcore of their members doesn't mean that they were unrepresentative on this issue.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, spot on, as per usual.

Mr. Grandiose, I concur. It is possible, I think, to see Gove's departure through a scalp prism, as it were, but the tweet seems very forced and false to me.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    "I understand Osborne opposed Gove move"

Bolting the stable door.....? There is not going to be a major shift in policy given the timing, so the new incumbent will only be left holding the chalice?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Matt Hancock takes over from Fallon at Business/Energy -another one who will attend Cabinet.

At this rate, they are going to need a much, much bigger table

Fallon didn't have Energy. Greg Barker had that. It looks like Cameron may have moved Energy back to BIS/Vince Cable and away from DECC/Ed Davey. DECC becomes something of a joke department if it has lost Energy.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Was Michael Gove unpopular with parents though (or at least those who are swing voters?) . More of them than teachers
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

"The date an ancient king died does not. There's an app for that. "

This sums up everything that to me is wrong. Unless you have a basic understanding of the facts - the narrative - of our history and that of other countries, of basic scientific concepts, of mathematical concepts etc, how on earth do you know that what you are being told is true. How can you ask intelligent questions? How on earth do you think that you can design an app or whatever will replace them?

Education is not just a collection of random facts that you pick up from an app, anymore than if you collected facts from an encyclopaedia or words from a dictionary. That's just confusing the sort of random knowledge that might win you points on a pub quiz team with education. You need a good solid basic understanding of what happened, how things work, how to use numbers, how to express yourself etc,. Without this, you will always struggle no matter how many apps you have.

I largely agree with Cyclefree. Some facts are not important per se, but are still vital to understanding the "bigger picture" - the historical narrative, for example. I'm not convinced schools are good enough at teaching that, quite apart from dates, but at least knowing when the First World War was gives you some sort of idea how things fit together.

Some American respondents thought their country had won independence from Germany - a misunderstanding easily resolved either by one fact or another. Or confusing the War of Independence/Revolutionary Wars with the Civil War.
  • Options
    Mark Harper back in government - at DWP
  • Options
    @state_go_away

Polling seemed to say he was toxic with all types of swing voters.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@state_go_away

Well I am not so sure -I think there is a shy pro ' for Gove' person. People who have an agenda and change things almost always incur the wrath of those most affected (teachers) and this can create noise that's its hard to say the words' actually I think Gove has done a good job' .
    People with an agenda also get certain people hating them (ie toxic) but they only have one vote per person no matter how much they hate him.

I for one think he has done good and had good aims. I am not a teacher but a parent
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    John McTernan is right - Cameron is banking that "improved presentation" will improve his re-election chances. I suspect however many traditional Tories will be more hacked off at the loss of Paterson and Gove than mollified by any token nod to euroscepticism by the appointments of Hammond and Hill.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Gove moved to chief whip role - designed to annoy Bercow ? I don't think they like each other very much, as they have had a few run ins.
  • Options
    One further thought on Gove: We have become so used to the fact that Cameron has restored sanity to how government is managed that we tend to forget what it was like before. In the 13 years of the Blair/Brown governments, responsibility for education was held in turn by six different ministers. No wonder so little was achieved.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@state_go_away

Well I am not so sure -I think there is a shy pro ' for Gove' person. People who have an agenda and change things almost always incur the wrath of those most affected (teachers) and this can create noise that's its hard to say the words' actually I think Gove has done a good job' .
    People with an agenda also get certain people hating them (ie toxic) but they only have one vote per person no matter how much they hate him.

I for one think he has done good and had good aims. I am not a teacher but a parent
    The actual reforms won't go away. The plan is to retain the current support whilst allowing his replacement the flexibility to pitch education to a broader audience in the run up to the election.
  • Options
    Lacking a good knowledge of facts, dates, etc, is a reasonably good diagnostic that something has gone awry with one's education.

This does not mean that rote learning of facts, dates, etc is necessarily a good palliative for such a failing, but I think one should be a bit concerned if people haven't managed to pick up and retain the basics.

It's hardly likely that someone will have a good knowledge of the way in which Britain is run - and why - without also having some recollection of key events in British political history such as the passing of the Parliament Act in 1911, the Great Reform Act of 1832 or the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Was Michael Gove unpopular with parents though (or at least those who are swing voters?) . More of them than teachers

School places. Most parents don't want a good school on the other side of town, they want their local school to be good, and to have enough places for their children. They also want all their children at the same school, not to have to ferry them to all points of the compass.
  • Options
    state_go_away

Just commenting on the polling referred to in one of the live feeds (not sure which).
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Smarmeron said:

@state_go_away

The actual reforms won't go away. The plan is to retain the current support whilst allowing his replacement the flexibility to pitch education to a broader audience in the run up to the election.
    Yes the strategy may be correct and I think Gove is unselfish enough to appreciate that - didn't he offer to be not considered for Cabinet when the Lid dems/tory coalition was being negotiated
  • Options
    @Cyclefree - Spot-on
  • Options
    Norm said:

John McTernan is right - Cameron is banking that "improved presentation" will improve his re-election chances. I suspect however many traditional Tories will be more hacked off at the loss of Paterson and Gove than mollified by any token nod to euroscepticism by the appointments of Hammond and Hill.

No-one outside of the bubble had any idea as to who OP was - his passing will not be noticed.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Err, Philip Hammond isn't a token nod to euro-scepticism.

We now have a Foreign Secretary who has said he would vote to leave the EU.

Think about that for a minute.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Where is AveryLP this morning?

UK consumer price inflation (CPI) rose at a seasonally adjusted 1.9% in June, from 1.5% in May, Office for National Statistics data showed. Core CPI -- excluding food, energy, alcohol, and tobacco costs -- rose a seasonally adjusted 2% in June, from 1.6% in May. The retail price index (RPI) rose 2.6% in June, from 2.4% in May. Meantime, the UK house prices index climbed 10.5% in May, from 9.9% in April. - See more at: http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4849132/UK-data-for-CPI-RPI-and-HPI-rise.html#sthash.p27V7Vsg.dpuf

Presumably this is good news?
  • Options
    David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 33s

Nick Boles is Minister of State for the Business & Education depts. Part of his brief will be equal marriage implementation. #Reshuffle
  • Options

Nick Boles is Minister of State for the Business & Education depts. Part of his brief will be equal marriage implementation. #Reshuffle

What has that got to do with either Business or Education?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

I think all of these moves are designed to help the Tories - time will tell how big the impact will be.

It does seem to be a very well-considered reshuffle - which adds credence to the line that Gove has been working with DC on it for the past fortnight.
    Agree on both counts, - but then it would be pretty daft for a party to aim at the opposite in a reshuffle. time will tell however, as you say.

John McTernan is talking nonsense, but then there's a lot of that about today from all qtrs.
  • Options

11:18: Tim Montgomerie tweets: Owen Paterson aside a very good #reshuffle for Euroscepticism with Hammond, Fallon, Truss up and Clarke, Grieve, Young out

I'm not sure that this is quite the right way to look at it, but it's hard to argue that the balance is away from euro-scepticism.
  • Options
    @bigjohnowls
    Good or bad....it is buried anyway, in a coincidental way of course.
  • Options
    Hague going to the Commons has a nostalgic ring to it Its where he made his mark and is best known for his performances. If the tories do get beat in 2015 it will be a fitting last job
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @Cycle

Of course you need knowledge, of themes, times, trends, dynamics, ideas and theories.

Knowing the exact date of King Harold's death you do not need in your head.

And Morris, nor do you need to know what 7x8 is, off the top of your head. But you do need to grasp how to multiply, and the basics of algebra, and, ideally, game theory.
  • Options

One further thought on Gove: We have become so used to the fact that Cameron has restored sanity to how government is managed that we tend to forget what it was like before. In the 13 years of the Blair/Brown governments, responsibility for education was held in turn by six different ministers. No wonder so little was achieved.

Extensive refurbishment and rebuilding; an end (almost, and since reversed) to the sale of school playing fields; academies (which are not really that different from Gove's free schools); phonics; reading hours.
  • Options

Have you not heard this i will educate you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

• Options

Hague going to the Commons has a nostalgic ring to it Its where he made his mark and is best known for his performances. If the tories do get beat in 2015 it will be a fitting last job

It will be Hague's last 'political' job regardless of whether the Tories win or lose, as he's said he's not standing for election in 2015 so he can concentrate on writing.
  • Options
    Do we really need more eurosceptics in the cabinet?
  • Options

I feel sorry for William Hague, he's gone from dealing with Angelina Jolie, to having to deal with Angela Eagle (The Shadow Leader of the House)
  • Options
    @Decrepit

It was great if your child got into a nearby Free School that Gove drowned in cash. It was somewhat less great for rest of us who saw our cash being diverted into distant schools.
  • Options

Extensive refurbishment and rebuilding; an end (almost, and since reversed) to the sale of school playing fields; academies (which are not really that different from Gove's free schools); phonics; reading hours.
    Have you seen the quality of these new build schools? All very cheap and certainly will not be fit for purpose before they have been paid for (due to the dreadful PFI contracts that were entered into to fund their construction)
  • Options
    You could argue that the gravity of the Tory party has shifted uncomfortably to the right in one sense.

William Hague was the guy who argued 24 hours to save the pound/In Europe not run by Europe, which the Euro-sceptics loved.

Now he's hated, despite not changing his views on Europe.
  • Options
    @BobaFett

The Charge of the "Right" Brigade? :-)
  • Options

I feel sorry for William Hague, he's gone from dealing with Angelina Jolie, to having to deal with Angela Eagle (The Shadow Leader of the House)
    Its the sort of thing Hague might come out with in his next speech !
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,853
    BobaFett said:

@Cycle

Of course you need knowledge, of themes, times, trends, dynamics, ideas and theories.

And Morris, nor do you need to know what 7x8 is, off the top of your head. But you do need to grasp how to multiply, and the basics of algebra, and, ideally, game theory.

Before you can gain knowledge of the things you mention, you need knowledge of facts. Otherwise, it would be like trying to read French literature in the original without a knowledge of French grammar.

Being able to perform simple arithmetic in one's head is, in my experience, very useful in later life.

• Options

Its the sort of thing Hague might come out with in his next speech !
    He wouldn't be that ungallant.
  • Options

I understand Osborne opposed Gove move but dire opinion polling presented by Lynton Crosby of MG's standing with teachers forced change.

So was it Lynton Crosby or Mike Smithson which lead to the demise of the Govemiester?

We can't have Befordshire pensioners and Australian spinners dictating out nation political intercourse.

I demand a judge-led inquiry into this

• Options

Norm said:

No-one outside of the bubble had any idea as to who OP was - his passing will not be noticed.
    Is that true? What do country-dwellers think?
  • Options

Have you seen the quality of these new build schools? All very cheap and certainly will not be fit for purpose before they have been paid for (due to the dreadful PFI contracts that were entered into to fund their construction)
    Some of the PFI schools built in Exeter are still having to have bottled water brought in because the wrong piping was used during construction and the water supply isn't safe for human consumption.

Have the Tories done the decent thing and cancelled the use of PFI? Sadly not...
  • Options

Yes he was. But, less so.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Yes, lots and lots of money spent and shiny buildings erected - they doubled expenditure with the quite remarkable result of actually managing to lower standards compared with our competitors, which takes some doing.

You are right about academies, they were a really good innovation, and one thing Blair got right. Unfortunately, and no doubt precisely because of Blair's short attention span and the fact he kept switching ministers around, they didn't actually manage to overcome the inertia of the 'blob' in implementing them. After 13 years of Labour with massive majorities and without the constraints of coalition or the tight financial constraints that this government has had to work under, they managed to get just 203 up and running. Contrast that with Gove's achievement: 3,444 by November 2013.

QED.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    The problem with a re-shuffle as comprehensive as this is that it gives the distinct impression that all the myriad of ministers who have either lost or changed their jobs must have been making a right mess of things.

The second and probably correct impression is that this in taking place so late in the Parliament - before things close down for the 3 months annual summer/autumn holiday - and there being so little outstanding business to take care of when the HoC re-assembles for the final few do-nothing months before the General Election, it appears to be nothing short of a monumental window-dressing exercise.
    Cameron is attempting to be the all things to all men (and now women) Prime Minister.
  • Options

John McTernan is talking out of his hat.

Owen Paterson was fired because he was rubbish, on floods, on the badger cull.

He didn't kill enough of the grey fiends.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

So was it Lynton Crosby or Mike Smithson which lead to the demise of the Govemiester?

We can't have Befordshire pensioners and Australian spinners dictating out nation political intercourse.

Interesting that the Tories listen to Mike's polling analysis on Gove, but Labour ignore Mike's analysis that Ed's a duffer.
  • Options

Have you not heard this i will educate you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

By Flight of the CON hoardes
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anyway overall it seems like the Tories are serious and want to win the next election at least . the changes will help that ,give some fresh impetus and good placing with Hague should produce some rousing stuff inside the Commons for morale
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

@Cycle

If you don't know some of the basic arithmetic off the top of your head you will find it very hard to (a) do the more complicated stuff and (b) recognise when you made a mistake putting the numbers into your calculator.

Secondly, while knowing the precise date of King Harold's death as a fact in isolation is irrelevant, it would be hard to know anything about the Norman Conquest without having a good idea of what year it was.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

And Morris, nor do you need to know what 7x8 is, off the top of your head. But you do need to grasp how to multiply

o_O
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Interesting that the Tories listen to Mike's polling analysis on Gove, but Labour ignore Mike's analysis that Ed's a duffer.
    I thought Mike was a fully payed of member of the Millibandwagon? (And let's face it, there aren't many of them)

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Norm said:

The "bubble" I suggest is within some of the posters on this website. Paterson was well regarded and unfairly blamed for last winter's flooding and many outsiders will consider Gove's demotion to the minor cabinet office of Chief Whip as the Tory leadership distancing itself from his tenure at education. It is clear to me that he should have stayed to see the task through and Cameron has not done Nicky Morgan any favours as she will have to spend half of her time in the next few months defending her predecessor anyway.
  • Options
    I really do despair about this country's knowledge and understanding of history.

It is a damning indictment that we have people thinking the Battle of Zama was a good thing for Carthage and Hannibal
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I thought Mike was a fully payed of member of the Millibandwagon? (And let's face it, there aren't many of them)

Mike points out Ed is crap.
  • Options
    @Sean

I had to look up 7x8. Yet I am highly numerate and grasp much mathematical theory.

Lots of people who know what 7x8 is have no grasp of maths.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025

Norm said:

I think - in the medium term - that Eurosceptics will be very disappointed with Mr Hammond.
  • Options

The problem with a re-shuffle as comprehensive as this is that it gives the distinct impression that all the myriad of ministers who have either lost or changed their jobs must have been making a right mess of things.

The second and probably correct impression is that this in taking place so late in the Parliament - before things close down for the 3 months annual summer/autumn holiday - and there being so little outstanding business to take care of when the HoC re-assembles for the final do-nothing few months before the General Election, it appears to be nothing short of a monumental window-dressing exercise.
    Cameron is attempting to be the all things to all men (and now women) Prime Minister.

Or you could look at is as him putting together the team he wants to carry forward into the next Parliament.

It has the hallmarks of something that has been planned very carefully - unlike any of the Blair/Brown reshuffles. And the fact that DC has never undertaken anything quite so radical so far as PM means that it was always going to a significant set of changes.

Everyone is going to be trying to put their own spin on this.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

John McTernan is talking nonsense, but then there's a lot of that about today from all qtrs.
    The Guardian thinks the oppostite

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/damian-carrington-blog/2014/jul/15/cameron-reshuffle-owen-paterson-liz-truss

"David Cameron's reshuffle gets rid of the 'green crap'
    Liz Truss replaces Owen Paterson as environment secretary, while William Hague and Greg Barker – rare strong green voices in the Conservative party – also leave government"
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles

After 4 years in government, and at the dog end of parliament, Dave has a "Damacine" conversion on the benefits of having more women in cabinet?
    It will be interesting to see how it is perceived in the polling?
  • Options

The second and probably correct impression is that this in taking place so late in the Parliament - before things close down for the 3 months annual summer/autumn holiday - and there being so little outstanding business to take care of when the HoC re-assembles for the final few do-nothing months before the General Election, it appears to be nothing short of a monumental window-dressing exercise.

Should #TeamBlue form the next government it's interesting to ponder how many of these Cabinet ministers will hold the same positions in May 2015.

Of course getting rid of the Yellow Peril would free up a few more seats as well...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norm said:

I think - in the medium term - that Eurosceptics will be very disappointed with Mr Hammond.
    Eurosceptics are never happy, unless you insult Jean-Claude Juncker every 10 secs and don't denounce the EU.
  • Options

Norm said:

Is that true? What do country-dwellers think?
    Farmers love complaining but in these parts Paterson was held in much greater esteem than his predecessors because he took Food and Rural Affairs as importantly as the Environment.

I must say when he went I was bit worried but Truss is not a bad replacement.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Norm said:

It means sweet F.A.

The referendum vote will still be 67 - 33 for staying in. Including 40% of Conservative voters.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

After 4 years in government, and at the dog end of parliament, Dave has a "Damacine" conversion on the benefits of having more women in cabinet?
    It will be interesting to see how it is perceived in the polling?

I see spelling and grammar is also another problem

Damascene conversion.
  • Options

Yes, lots and lots of money spent and shiny buildings erected - they doubled expenditure with the quite remarkable result of actually managing to lower standards compared with our competitors, which takes some doing.

On PISA ratings, we stayed in pretty much the same place (or stagnated, if you prefer) while others rose or fell. What neither party seems particularly interested in is researching what works and what doesn't (with the possible exception of Blunkett on phonics). Gove cared, certainly, but caring is not enough.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

@Sean

I had to look up 7x8. Yet I am highly numerate and grasp much mathematical theory.

If you have to "look up" what 7x8 is then you are not numerate, and you also have a poor understanding of English. The definition of numerate is: "having a good basic knowledge of arithmetic; able to understand and work with numbers"

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Undoubtedly true, just as they were disappointed in turn with Cameron and Hague. They briefly turned to Boris before discovering he wasn't a Europhobe, and so on.

Of course there's a reason for this: the source of their disappointments is that they are blaming individuals for the constraints of reality.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEagles
    You unpleasant pedant you!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Thanks TSE. I loathe it when posters try to ascribe views to me.

My main aim since the early days of PB is to find something provocative to talk about. That's what start good discussions.

To this end I like to go against the prevailing narrative and digging up data that some might find surprising.
  • Options
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Sean

What's your favourite mathematical theory ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Thanks TSE. I loathe it when posters try to ascribe views to me.

My main aim since the early days of PB is to find something provocative to talk about. That's what start good discussions.

To this end I like to go against the prevailing narrative and digging up data that some might find surprising.
    I was praising you!

It was your polling analysis that toppled Gove.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Sean

I had to look up 7x8. Yet I am highly numerate.

Classic!!!
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

The Monty Hall Problem - if you count that :)
  • Options
    @OSM

Okay I am highly innumerate and completely illiterate.
  • Options
    Claire Perry - junior Transport minister
This discussion has been closed.