Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Post-reshuffle leadership betting: The new Foreign Secretar

Comments

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

They should make me Minister for Women

Cat and pigeons comes to mind - or even fox and hens!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Reshuffle Day - The Transfer Deadline Day for PB.com.

Wait till you see us on Indy referendum night.
    I worry that will be a damp squib actually, if No is too far ahead come September. Good for Cameron to give us a much larger than expected reshuffle as a backup.
    Well I have some brilliant news about the Indyref.

I will be guest editing the site for a few weeks straight after the Indyref.

So no matter the result I'll have fun.

That is good news, you're even better than your usual form when you're having fun.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014

You with a sweet tooth and In charge of the Tuck shop? - err.. No!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,022

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations. I am feeling somewhat emotional.

But onto other things. That Gove move looks like a very big Clegg win to me. Maybe a sign that Dave is preparing for a renewed coalition after the GE?

Almost certainly. It's the only way he'll remain PM
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    Fallon to defence then?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Gove leaving is about consolidation, which is the right way of doing things less than a year to the election. The current state and the manifesto can be presented by someone without the fierce hatred that blinds opponents (the same is true on both sides).
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Nicky Morgan voted against equal marriage. Hmm.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,818
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I worry that will be a damp squib actually, if No is too far ahead come September. Good for Cameron to give us a much larger than expected reshuffle as a backup.

That is good news, you're even better than your usual form when you're having fun.
    Well if Yes win I'll troll Labour supporters saying they killed nationalism stone dead and that Dave should disenfranchise Scottish voters from the 2015 GE.

If No wins, well, you can guess the rest.

As a general PB rule, when Mike's on holiday something major happens.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940

I would not be a good one according to Mrs BJ Apparently i am sometimes disparaging to women dont know what my litttle dear means
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Fallon to defence then?

Most likely. Just gone back into Downing Street for some reason.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2014
    IDS stays at W&P- BBC
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Fallon to defence then?

• Options
    Gadfly said:

Gadfly said:

Fallon to defence then?

Now confirmed by Sky
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,741

So Minister for only the 'right' sort of Equalities then?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    GIN1138 said:

The danger with what Cameron has done to Gove is that he looks like a duplicitous, spineless scum-bag who doesn't have the courage of his convictions to stand by his Ministers when they are doing the things he want's them to do!

But I think being a spineless, duplicitous scum-bag totally bereft of any conviction is factored in to Cameron's "story" anyway? I doubt you can get to Number Ten these day's without having these "qualities" LOL!

Gove has set in train all the fundamental changes he needed for Education. It's a matter now of consolidation.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    TGOHF said:

Next CoTE : Gove @ 16/1 looks tempting now.

Stopgap whips job.

Is that essentially a derivative bet on Osborne next PM ?
  • Options

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Fantastic the good news keeps on coming.

Might see you at the secret screening tonight. I will be the one lighting up the cinema to check the EICIPM position at 9.55
  • Options
    Minister for "some" equalities, but some are less equal than others.
    Lennon said:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Mr. Bond, I quite agree. The job title 'Minister for Women and Equalities' is an unwitting self-parody.

Consider if it were for 'Men and Equalities' or 'Straight People and Equalities'.
  • Options

Minister for "some" equalities, but some are less equal than others.

Lennon said:

Which was why the equalities brief, I had thought, had gone to Javid, with Women with Morgan. Yet Cameron says she's "keep" her Equalities brief.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

GO next FS , Gove CoTE, Cam steps down in 2018/19..
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    I'll join others in offering SO many congratulations on his 25th wedding anniversary.

Meanwhile, a simply brilliant move by Cam, sacking Gove. I think this could really help shift votes. The guy was - for good reason - utterly toxic. He believed education was about filling a bucket. The wise know it should be lighting a fire.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    Looks like Cameron is, as usual, doing exactly what he said he would do:

'If elected, by the end of our first Parliament I want a third of all my ministers to be female'

April 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175106/A-Tory-Government-ministers-women-claims-Cameron.html
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

Cant see Ed appointing either of them IMHO
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Charles said:

FPT

I notice that at the end of the last thread @surbiton posted (and bolded!) an article about ICM.

Pointed out that, prior to spiral of silence, Labour and the Tories were neck and neck at 35%. So no crossover!

Must be worrying for Labour that this far out, one of their most tribal supporters, seems to think that neck & neck is a good place to be for the sole serious opposition party vs. a Coalition living through a difficult economic period....

You can give any interpretation you like. My point was , prior to UKIP, there was an understandable "conspiracy of silence" since some Tory supporters hid their support because effectively they were ashamed to make their choice public.

With the advent of UKIP, an even more disliked party, by all accounts, that "silence" factor is no longer relevant.

THe other important point is that by assuming those 2010 LD voters who are saying "Don't know" , they are really LD supporters now is total hogwash. Barely, 30% of GE2010 LD voters are now telling they would vote LD. By operating the conspiracy of silence factor here really distorts the final outcome.

It is a different ballgame now. It is better to look at marginals at a micro level rather than waste time looking at the country as a whole.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

o_O

Why on earth would GO be next Foreign Sec - Surely PM, LOTO or bust for him ?
  • Options
    What's Gove's position in the Cabinet now?
  • Options
    James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers
    Follow

As Chief Whip Gove will not be full member of Cabinet, No10 confirms. He will 'attend Cabinet as key member of PM's core team' #reshuffle
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

o_O

Why on earth would GO be next Foreign Sec - Surely PM, LOTO or bust for him ?
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/9197661/why-osborne-wants-hagues-job/
  • Options
    Congratulations to Southam. (Mine is tomorrow. I'm quite a few years ahead of you!)
  • Options
    David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 25s

Michael Fallon is the new Secretary of State for Defence
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

That's exactly how I see things if Cameron remains PM in 2015. He will retire as PM early in 2018 having presided over the EU referendum victory (57-43) in 2017. George Osborne, the Foreign Secretary, will be unopposed to become Tory Leader and PM.
  • Options

Follow

As Chief Whip Gove will not be full member of Cabinet, No10 confirms. He will 'attend Cabinet as key member of PM's core team' #reshuffle

Gove out of cabinet?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,022
    Lennon said:

We ought to have a minister for inequalities.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

I'll join others in offering SO many congratulations on his 25th wedding anniversary.

Meanwhile, a simply brilliant move by Cam, sacking Gove. I think this could really help shift votes. The guy was - for good reason - utterly toxic. He believed education was about filling a bucket. The wise know it should be lighting a fire.

Many thanks Bob.

Agree about Gove. It's a very positive move for the Tories.

• Options
    UK Prime Minister ✔ @Number10gov
    Follow

Michael Fallon has been appointed as Defence Secretary @DefenceHQ #reshuffle
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,593

It's my 25th wedding anniversary today. I can't believe it has all gone so quickly. I have been truly blessed in my life.

Congratulations Southam. A partner who is your best friend is one of the greatest blessings life can bring.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    JackW said:

IDS stays at W&P- BBC

Bizarre when it was a story that he was out on his ear that presaged all of this. Was that perhaps some sort of mischief-making? Very curious.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Stopgap whips job.

That's exactly how I see things if Cameron remains PM in 2015. He will retire as PM early in 2018 having presided over the EU referendum victory (57-43) in 2017. George Osborne, the Foreign Secretary, will be unopposed to become Tory Leader and PM.
    Ladbrokes let me have about £32 at 16/1

• Options
    BIGgest ever reshuffle?

If its not broke don't fix it!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Meanwhile Hammond to COTE.

• Options
    So what of Dr Fox then? Anywhere? To EU?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It's my 25th wedding anniversary today. I can't believe it has all gone so quickly. I have been truly blessed in my life.

Congratulations Southam. A partner who is your best friend is one of the greatest blessings life can bring.

It truly is. Those of us who have that are the luckiest people in the world. I simply cannot imagine life without my beautiful wife.

Anyway, enough of all that ...

• Options
    WitanWitan Posts: 26
    BobaFett said:

" He believed education was about filling a bucket. The wise know it should be lighting a fire.

I think Gove certainly lit a fire in education, under the unions and the blob. His work is done there. Time for an image change but steady course.
  • Options
    Sourby as AG ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,818
    JohnO said:

Hopefully Dave will make Liam Fox British Ambassador to Iraq.
  • Options

'If elected, by the end of our first Parliament I want a third of all my ministers to be female'

April 2009

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1175106/A-Tory-Government-ministers-women-claims-Cameron.html

You mean like no top down reorganisations of the NHS?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Financier said:

Gove had one of the hardest jobs, in improving education and reversing a lot of educational theory and non-competition rubbish, in the face of so many sectors who had a vested interest in keeping in the status quo.

However, his job was made harder as he is an earnest but not very personable man in public life - his heavy glasses and lack of smiles made it difficult for people to relate to him favourably - even if they agreed with his educational direction. The constraints of time (5 years) and dissenting coalition partners made his job even more difficult.

And that, your honour, completes the case for the defence.

Gove undoubtedly was concerned to improve education. However, his chosen vehicle -- free schools (more or less an extension of Labour's academies) -- was at best a distraction. Freedom was open to those who would run bad schools, as well as good ones, and also to extremists. Freedom was less fashionable for the rest, where it was said Michael Gove's desk was the biggest LEA in England.

Gove also let his own prejudices get in the way -- he did not like sport, so selling off playing fields accelerated (and this while the Prime Minister was talking about the importance of school sport around the Olympics). He did not like American books, so To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men were for the chop.

Gove took his eye off the ball, and presided over a massive shortage of school places -- and probably this is why he was so unpopular with parents.

He also showed no great interest in programmes like Teach First, which were improving education.

But worst of all, politically he was useless -- whatever you think about teachers, as a group they do care about education yet Gove preferred confrontation to consensus and contrived to alienate parents and teachers, both of which groups should have been on his side.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Many congratulations to you both! Hope you both have a wonderful celebratory day.

• Options
    JohnO said:

Dr Fox's "friends" do have a history of bigging up their man to the press, shortly before nothing at all happens.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

Regardless of its effect on VI, his sacking should come as a massive relief to all parents. The guy believed in drilling in facts to children - easily google-able facts. Like focusing on handwriting, it was the methods of the past. I'm interested in people with imagination, ideas, free thought. I hope the newcomer is a wiser owl.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    MikeK has asked me to post this message

A few of weeks back I went too far in an attack on JackW for which I apologise. I will try to keep further comments within civilised bounds.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Gove undoubtedly was concerned to improve education. However, his chosen vehicle -- free schools (more or less an extension of Labour's academies) -- was at best a distraction. Freedom was open to those who would run bad schools, as well as good ones, and also to extremists. Freedom was less fashionable for the rest, where it was said Michael Gove's desk was the biggest LEA in England.

Gove also let his own prejudices get in the way -- he did not like sport, so selling off playing fields accelerated (and this while the Prime Minister was talking about the importance of school sport around the Olympics). He did not like American books, so To Kill a Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men were for the chop.

Gove took his eye off the ball, and presided over a massive shortage of school places -- and probably this is why he was so unpopular with parents.

He also showed no great interest in programmes like Teach First, which were improving education.

But worst of all, politically he was useless -- whatever you think about teachers, as a group they do care about education yet Gove preferred confrontation to consensus and contrived to alienate parents and teachers, both of which groups should have been on his side.

LOL! Are you bidding for a prize in satirical political fantasy?

I particularly liked the invention about American books. The idea that Michael Gove, of all people, doesn't like American books is hilarious.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Do Labour need any help in their East Dunbartonshire campaign btw ?

I'd be available - was looking at SNP position in Scotland yesterday and somehow arrived at the conclusion the 1-2 for Labour there was tremendous value in East Dunbartonshire and went balls deep there on Labour.

If anyone is reading, I'm available to help out as follows come GE2015:

UKIP - Great Grimsby or Thurrock
    Conservatives - Pudsey or Sherwood
    SNP - Inverness, Bairn, Strathspey
    Labour - East Dunbartonshire
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Many congratulations to you both! Hope you both have a wonderful celebratory day.

Or SO could spend all day on pb.
  • Options
    Mr. Fett, rote learning has its place in education. Just because something can be googled doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be learnt. Do we want a nation unable to do its times tables or remember the capital of France without using the internet?

Mr. Smithson/Mr. K, often difficult to offer an apology, nice to see Mr. K felt able to do so.
  • Options
    The Minister of Silly Walks' move away from Education is bad news for Labour. He was bringing lot of votes

Gove fronting the media is unbelieveably good news.
  • Options

I particularly liked the invention about American books. The idea that Michael Gove, of all people, doesn't like American books is hilarious.
    The point is that the Secretary of State should not be micromanaging the syllabus.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd be available - was looking at SNP position in Scotland yesterday and somehow arrived at the conclusion the 1-2 for Labour there was tremendous value in East Dunbartonshire and went balls deep there on Labour.

Sounds like you have quite the road trip planned. I'm up for the Scottish segment, but any chance of swinging by Eastleigh on your way up?
  • Options
    For the political geeks, often the most interesting element of reshuffles is the various promotions/dismissals at Minister of State and PUSS levels.

Few will have heard of any of them but what fates will befall people like e.g. Gavin Barwell (whip), Nick Boles (Planning), Kris Hopkins (Housing) etc. And who else from the 2010 will be handed the first steps on the ladder?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Sounds like you have quite the road trip planned. I'm up for the Scottish segment, but any chance of swinging by Eastleigh on your way up?
    Doubt the Lib Dems need any help in Eastleigh tbh - I DO however live quite near Sherwood so mayb could do some campaigning there, and if I wasn't betting on the Election I'd be 100% Conservative.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited July 2014

The point is that the Secretary of State should not be micromanaging the syllabus.

He's not. The examination syllabus is put together by Edexcel, AQA, etc. They are the ones who choose which books are studied.
  • Options
    F1: just checked and Hockenheim's only on the radio, unless you have Sky. Same goes for Hungary (in fairness, Hungary's not a great circuit).
  • Options

F1: just checked and Hockenheim's only on the radio, unless you have Sky. Same goes for Hungary (in fairness, Hungary's not a great circuit).

Hungary & Montreal are the exceptions that prove the rule about Street circuits and Racetracks.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

Regardless of its effect on VI, his sacking should come as a massive relief to all parents. The guy believed in drilling in facts to children - easily google-able facts. Like focusing on handwriting, it was the methods of the past. I'm interested in people with imagination, ideas, free thought. I hope the newcomer is a wiser owl.
    And if those people cannot express their free thoughts? When 20% of school leavers are functionally illiterate and about 40% have the mathematical ability of a primary school child and when it is possible to get a C in English GCSE despite being unable to string two coherent sentences together then perhaps some attention needs to be paid to the basics.

Wonderful to have imagination, free thought and be terribly creative but if you can't formulate those thoughts because you don't have the vocabulary or express them because you can't write then a life of burger flipping or worse awaits. Poor educational standards hurts the poorest children most.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    The Spectator (@spectator)
    15/07/2014 09:38
    That'll teach Michael Gove for having the courage to reform and actually change things.
  • Options

April 2009

6 of 27 is one third?

Another broken promise

perhaps the top down reorganisation has been applied to the nhs rather than the one third women one?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, quite. Tilke has cocked up most of the circuits he's designed (I think the Hungaroring was his first). On the other hand, if it's dry, it's well worth checking the odds on No Safety Car in Hungary (cars tend to get spread out for aerodynamic reasons, and there are huge run-off areas).
  • Options
    WitanWitan Posts: 26
    surbiton said:

Gove fronting the media is unbelieveably good news.

Funny how that phrase keeps coming up on twitter and even radio and TV. The SEAL team going gangbusters.

Keeps hem out of trouble moaning about Ed I suppose.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, where the decisions that matter are made...

Tim Aker MEP (@Tim_Aker)
    15/07/2014 09:41
    Juncker now defending free movement, rules will not change he says. No chance to get back UK borders while we're in the EU.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

And if those people cannot express their free thoughts? When 20% of school leavers are functionally illiterate and about 40% have the mathematical ability of a primary school child and when it is possible to get a C in English GCSE despite being unable to string two coherent sentences together then perhaps some attention needs to be paid to the basics.

Wonderful to have imagination, free thought and be terribly creative but if you can't formulate those thoughts because you don't have the vocabulary or express them because you can't write then a life of burger flipping or worse awaits. Poor educational standards hurts the poorest children most.
    When I was an employer, from the early 60's- mid 80's there were always complaints from my peers that children weren't as well educated as they used to be.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Doubt the Lib Dems need any help in Eastleigh tbh - I DO however live quite near Sherwood so mayb could do some campaigning there, and if I wasn't betting on the Election I'd be 100% Conservative.
    Unfortunately for me I have a 16/1 shot at Eastleigh which isn't the LDs. I think my horse most certainly will need help.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

Who are these people who claim to speak for "all" parents. I'm a parent and I was rather pleased to have as Education Secretary someone who believed in high educational standards for all rather than follow the all too prevalent and patronising assumption that poor children are too thick or deprived to be taught to and achieve the highest standards.

It may well be right to move Gove on and we'll see what this new person does. What I'm clear about is that Labour have on the whole been disastrous for education - despite some good initiatives - because their default assumption is too often to make excuses for poor performance and to see education as a means to achieve some other social or economic end rather than as an end in itself i.e. that everyone - whatever their job - should be as well educated as possible because education - in the widest sense - is about more than simply getting a better job or earning more money. The best education does stimulate imagination, ideas and free thought but it needs a good foundation of knowledge.
  • Options

Follow

Gove out of cabinet?
    The PBTories can dress it up whichever way they like. But when it sounds like and feels like a demotion, it is a demotion.

He shouldn't have made those comments on Eton and Etonians.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,593
    I am surprised by Gove. It looks a bit of a retreat to me but Cameron is obviously looking at the polling and focussing on the election now. He is brilliant in the Commons but I am not so sure about external media. And the Chief Whip pretty much never speaks in the Commons does he?

I feel we are getting 4 years of reshuffles at once here. Being in the Osborne camp is looking a very sound strategic move at the moment.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Unfortunately for me I have a 16/1 shot at Eastleigh which isn't the LDs. I think my horse most certainly will need help.
    Just back the Lib Dems there tbh - 16-1 is good value on UKIP there, I'm on them at 7-2 (4-6 Lib Dems for more...)
  • Options
    Cam did the same thing on Health - unpopular person in early, soothing balm later.

Summary of the reshuffle is that the GE is all - every move is targeted and positioned to be most favourable for next May. Will it work ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,961

MikeK has asked me to post this message

A few of weeks back I went too far in an attack on JackW for which I apologise. I will try to keep further comments within civilised bounds.

At least he left Jack's ARSE alive and well.

• Options
    isam said:

Meanwhile, where the decisions that matter are made...

Tim Aker MEP (@Tim_Aker)
    15/07/2014 09:41
    Juncker now defending free movement, rules will not change he says. No chance to get back UK borders while we're in the EU.

UKIP need to get back in the news somehow methinks
  • Options
    Regarding Gove, we'll have to wait and see exactly how Cameron uses him in his new role. From the Beeb:

10:09: Norman Smith says Michael Gove's move to chief whip is "in conventional terms... a demotion". But he says the former education secretary will have a high-profile role as the "go-to face of Team Cameron".
  • Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

Well said. Creativity is about 1% inspiration and 99% hard work. A point which is often forgotten by those who think that just letting childrens' imagination run riot is all that's needed.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

Just back the Lib Dems there tbh - 16-1 is good value on UKIP there, I'm on them at 7-2 (4-6 Lib Dems for more...)
    I probably will end up with a UKIP/LD semi-arb, can't see it as much of a risk.
  • Options

April 2009

6 of 27 is one third?

Another broken promise

perhaps the top down reorganisation has been applied to the nhs rather than the one third women one?
    To be fair, they only have 48 women MPs. Only 1 in 7 Tory MPs is a woman.
  • Options
    Fraser Nelson from the Spectator

"10.00 There’s nothing positive about the decision to move Michael Gove from Education Secretary, says Fraser:

There is no positive gloss to put on Michael Gove’s move from Education Secretary. It’s an appalling decision, which suggests that the Prime Minister is more worried about party management than children’s education. He’ll be replaced by Nicky Morgan – her credentials for education are what, precisely?

Gove was working on this for years before taking the job: he knew exactly what to do which is why he was able to pass his Education Act in 77 days. Morgan will be getting her head around the brief, aided by civil servants who will advise her to stop this reform malarkey and let the empire strike back. The teachers unions will be delighted, as will their allies in the Education Department. They will be able to run rings around the new minister: not because she’s stupid, or lazy. But because education reform is (with welfare reform) the toughest, most complex issue in the British government.

The difference is that in the DWP, the civil servants are on side. Gove was, quite literally, out to get rid of most of the civil servants and then change the department into a free school to make his point. Gove may say that he pulled the genie of school choice out of the bottle. John Major thought so too until Labour was re-elected and abolished the ‘direct grant’ schools (the precursor to City Academies).

Cameron struggles to control his own party, as evidenced by the defeats they keep inflicting on him. So I can see why he has moved Gove into this lesser, parliamentary-based role. And I can see why Gove, ever the loyalist, agreed to do this. But I’m afraid that the speed of reform now slows – and that this reshuffle puts party before pupils."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/the-spectator/2014/07/the-hiring-begins-live-blog-of-cabinet-reshuffle/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    I suppose Gove sacking should have been foreseen, although most did seem to think he would get an equivalent level post, not a major demotion. I cannot say I've noticed anything positive or negative coming out of all this free school blather from the local schools in my area, but he had some decent ideas as far as I can see, a grounding of specific skills and facts within a framework preparing modes of thought and expression etc etc, seemed a good balance. A bit of a humiliation for him though.
  • Options
    Btw Is PB planning anything for the actual General Election night ? I'll definitely be in need of some stiff drinks no matter the outcome !
  • Options
    No change for Esther McVey apart from now attending Cabinet according to Nick Robinson.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

April 2009

6 of 27 is one third?

Another broken promise

To be fair, they only have 48 women MPs. Only 1 in 7 Tory MPs is a woman.
    I make it five of seventeen Conservative cabinet posts, with Wales still vacant.
  • Options

Regarding Gove, we'll have to wait and see exactly how Cameron uses him in his new role. From the Beeb:

10:09: Norman Smith says Michael Gove's move to chief whip is "in conventional terms... a demotion". But he says the former education secretary will have a high-profile role as the "go-to face of Team Cameron".

PB lefters seem annoyed - suggests it is a smart political move.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    JohnO said:

No change for Esther McVey apart from now attending Cabinet according to Nick Robinson.

IDS is the least competent minister in the government. I'm surprised that he has survived when others have fallen.
  • Options
    isam said:

Fraser Nelson from the Spectator

"10.00 There’s nothing positive about the decision to move Michael Gove from Education Secretary, says Fraser:

There is no positive gloss to put on Michael Gove’s move from Education Secretary. It’s an appalling decision, which suggests that the Prime Minister is more worried about party management than children’s education...this reshuffle puts party before pupils."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/the-spectator/2014/07/the-hiring-begins-live-blog-of-cabinet-reshuffle/

I think that more than anything else what occupies Cameron's thoughts is handling his nightmare of a parliamentary party. I will say that as has been beaten in to us by the commentariat over and over again, virtually nothing new would have been coming down the pipeline anyway, so while Gove or others being moved might remove some departmental impetus in certain areas, any damage that could be done, and any fixing as well, should not be that extensive. It is about party management, about presentation, for a bit of extra logn campaigning for 2015, so while many might think it a bad decision to move Gove, I don't think even in that circumstance it can be called appalling, as the impact is not as significant as if it had happened, say, a year ago.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,623
    edited July 2014
    Well practically you can't have no reshuffles and much as ministers want to see their pet policies through to fruition, there is a never-ending process of government, reform, setback, progress.

It's a shame Gove has gone as he gave many parents the confidence to think that someone was on their side who had the intellectual capacity to argue for education. But no one can go on forever.

As to the women, well Cam is right if late. The Cabinet should reflect the country, of sorts. It will also send a message to the constituency parties that they won't lose out on high profile appointments if they select a woman PPC.

So in all, and mindful of the blancmange-like tendency of Cam I think it is a good thing. Clumsy, but good. Breath of fresh air heading into GE2015.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Many thanks Bob.

When I was an employer, from the early 60's- mid 80's there were always complaints from my peers that children weren't as well educated as they used to be.
    When it comes to mathematics they probably weren't! I have on my shelves a maths text book aimed at 14/15 year olds in the 1940s it contains topics that are now only taught at A level or university.

Seriously, yes I know there is a tendency to look at the past through rose tinted spectacles however I was employing and managing people up until 2006 and the standards of applicants was not good. Often they were good people but their education had let them down very badly. Even further up the chain I had problems with youngsters who had been through Uni, got good degrees but still struggled to express even marginally complex ideas on paper. I vividly remember one report from a junior manager I read it four or five times but I still couldn't understand what he wanted to say.

Leaving anecdote aside, the literacy and numeracy figures quoted come from the time of the last Labour government and really do speak for themselves.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Gove at education was the biggest positive in the Coalition.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Well known lefty Fraser Nelson is also fuming
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,673
    I'm a teacher, moving from the state sector (which I left a few weeks ago) to the private sector. I've specifically signed up to comment on the Gove reshuffle in the hope of informing others about the problems he has caused.

A lot of the time, he was bang right in his diagnosis. It is almost impossible, these days, to believe in things like imparting facts and teaching advanced skills in a state school, or to understand that actually some children simply won't be able to get some concepts. Far too often, it's about being 'inspirational' and 'engaging' to ensure 'above average achievement for all' (I'm sure everyone here is intelligent enough to spot the problem with that). This is particularly true of people who want to get promoted, so there is a dangerous homogenity in the top echelons that not only won't but somehow can't confront the failings of the system. I've no objection to making my lessons fun, but when the last comes to the last, I believe I'm there to teach them things. There are too many others in the profession who don't quite grasp that.

Certain key standards of thought must be accepted by all teachers, on pain of being disciplined, even if they are wrong or even disturbing - for example, there's quite an unpleasant anti-clerical, especially anti-Catholic, undercurrent to much of the curriculum in maintained schools and expressing disquiet about it leads to cries of 'bigot' or even 'fascist'. Those of us who do object - even those of us who are not Catholics - tend to learn to keep our mouths shut to keep our jobs. Finally, the unions appear to be completely unaware that in terms of salary and pension, teachers have a very privileged position. Things like delaying the retirement age and PRP are not only inevitable, they were long overdue. But the NUT in particular have been stupidly trying to defend the indefensible rather than concentrating on areas where they could make a meaningful difference - in terms of workload, especially class sizes and marking policies.

(continued)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hardly, Boba Fett and SO have said it was great news haven't they?

Nothing on that 11/10 LD bt Ukip? You said it was nailed on
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,673
    (continued)
    Gove did at least try to go some way to removing this ideological straitjacket and improving academic standards, as well as refusing to buckle to union pressure, particularly from the cloth-eared NUT (known in teaching as the Nutters, incidentally). However, whether he achieved it is open to debate. Gove's problem was that he could never find it in himself to admit when he was wrong. He would always push through anything he decided on in the teeth of opposition. When he was right, that was great. When he was wrong - which he was almost half the time - that was a fiasco. The problem was that he seemed to have neither the judgement to distinguish between the two, nor the humility to listen to those who could do it for him. He ran into opposition he couldn't understand, and merely became abrasive, even abusive. As a result, teachers simply started to dislike him, which after several needless run-ins, hardened into hatred. It was, for example, the real reason for that strike the other day. It also meant that teachers would dig their toes in and attempt to ignore or block his actually sensible policies - e.g. the new National Curriculum will probably not be implemented in any meaningful fashion in any school including LEA schools. Regardless of any achievements he had to his credit, that makes his move a sensible one.

Gove came into office on a wave of goodwill. More of us voted Tory in 2010 than any other group, having endured Ed Balls - arrogant, rude, nakedly ambitious, disdainful of his role and despite his reputation extremely stupid - for three ghastly years. We hoped Gove, who actually wanted the job and had some reputation as a calmer, more thoughtful person, would do better. The very bitter disappointment may be seen in how far teachers have turned to Labour.

Teachers, on the whole, don't like change - it causes upset, more work and stress in what is already an overworked and highly stressed position. They could be naturally Conservative, with the right encouragement. Gove was not the right person for that. Cameron may just have picked up some crucial votes in the leafy suburbs by removing him.

As an aside, however, in my lifetime only two SoS for Education have ever been really popular - John MacGregor (who actually took the trouble to listen to teachers directly, rather than managers or unions) and Estelle Morris (who was one and therefore understood the stresses and strains of the job). I'm guessing Morgan will probably go the same way (Tristram Hunt, who makes Ed Balls look like Hermione Granger, certainly will) but she might just be able to postpone things until after the election simply by not being Gove.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Gove has been education secretary for 4 years. Are the reforms going to be reversed? No
    He has a senior party role and it saeems will be an enhanced and (for once) talkative chief whip.
    There seems to be a bit of over excitement going on about all this
  • Options
    JohnO said:

What a huge vote of confidence.
This discussion has been closed.