Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Post-reshuffle leadership betting: The new Foreign Secretar

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

It's my 25th wedding anniversary today. I can't believe it has all gone so quickly. I have been truly blessed in my life.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

It's my 25th wedding anniversary today. I can't believe it has all gone so quickly. I have been truly blessed in my life.

Hearty congratulations to you and Mrs SO.

I can't pass up this opportunity to agree 100% with Jack, can I? Congratulations to both of you.

I'm only one person you know !!

On the other hand agreeing with me 100% becomes addictive over the years.

Titter ....

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    hucks67 said:

hucks67 said:

Is it possible that the public may view Camerons new team as inexperienced and any gain they may get from having more women will be negated ?

We will all have seen pollsters/journos ask people to identify politicians and most people don't seem to recognise many. Is it wise to change your team to less well known people, ten months before an election ?

Its also possible that an increase in the no of women will affect the female vote positively
    I would think that Cameron promoting women will have a mixed response, as you would expect. Whilst it may be seen as good thing, people may think that Cameron is only doing this ten months before an election, because he thinks the Tories may get more votes. Personally, I am not sure that women will therefore see Camerons reshuffle as positive.

The women getting positions today are all 2010 intake ( I think). Going from new MP to minister in 4 years is about as fast as possible I'd think.
  • Options
    Gove to be Chief Whip - BBC
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Does anyone know what proportion of the Tory parliamentary party is "old, male and stale"?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,022

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Might this be a good time to back Soubry to beat NP? 11/4 with Ladbrokes, only 9/4 with PP. If she does become Defence Secretary might that affect the betting?

Clearly her profile will rise considerably and broadly the punters initially enjoy their MP doing well. However it's not a panacea for an unpopular government as ministers found out in 1997.

Overall it's probably a marginal plus for her but of course she sits for a marginal seat.

Surely in the next 10 months she should be on the doorstep rather than in a ministerial car.
    One doesn't totally preclude the other. Also her reach in Broxtowe is far greater appearing on the idiot box than a few hours canvassing.

Our own Nick Palmer is probably chewing a wasp this morning whilst clearly on a personal level congratulating her on the promotion.

I doubt it. Unless there is a war, the defence secretary is not a visible position. The few extra minutes she gains on the telly, will lose hours dealing with ministerial boxes, meetings and visits outside her constituency.

If she was MP for Aldershot, it might be different.

Nice pension though.
    It would make it easier for her to find a safer seat for the next election, though.

Edit: And of course Ken Clarke has said he intends to remain as an active backbencher, but will he stand for election in 2020? He would be 80 in the year of a 2020 general election, and so Soubry could be well-placed to take over his seat, which borders Broxtowe.
    Abandoning her seat would surely go down badly.
  • Options
    Double post.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    JackW said:

Zing! Puncture that poisoned bubble
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,818
    JackW said:

Bloody hell?

He's the guy who hurled abuse at Tory MPs who voted against the Syria expedition
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    R5 Gove chief whip
  • Options

JackW said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Might this be a good time to back Soubry to beat NP? 11/4 with Ladbrokes, only 9/4 with PP. If she does become Defence Secretary might that affect the betting?

Clearly her profile will rise considerably and broadly the punters initially enjoy their MP doing well. However it's not a panacea for an unpopular government as ministers found out in 1997.

Overall it's probably a marginal plus for her but of course she sits for a marginal seat.

Surely in the next 10 months she should be on the doorstep rather than in a ministerial car.
    One doesn't totally preclude the other. Also her reach in Broxtowe is far greater appearing on the idiot box than a few hours canvassing.

Our own Nick Palmer is probably chewing a wasp this morning whilst clearly on a personal level congratulating her on the promotion.

I am on record here last year saying Anna Soubry's majority will be in 4 figures next year. If as we expect she makes the cabinet today, she will have achieved in 4 years what NPXMP failed to do in 13 and constituents love their MP to be a cabinet minister because it means when they seek help against petty civil servants silly decisions, a letter from their MP carries a great deal of weight.
    Nick Palmer has been overoptimistic in the past, but he clearly has a large personal vote, and it wouldn't take much of a pro-Labour swing for him to win.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

Alan Duncan out? No tears from me for the rude and arrogant fellow. He should be the next one to step down in 2015. A nice safe seat for some other candidate who does not want to bother with constituency issues.

Yet he was the nicest man in Vitol...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pienaar says no change for Soubry.

best news.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    hucks67 said:

hucks67 said:

Is it possible that the public may view Camerons new team as inexperienced and any gain they may get from having more women will be negated ?

We will all have seen pollsters/journos ask people to identify politicians and most people don't seem to recognise many. Is it wise to change your team to less well known people, ten months before an election ?

Its also possible that an increase in the no of women will affect the female vote positively
    I would think that Cameron promoting women will have a mixed response, as you would expect. Whilst it may be seen as good thing, people may think that Cameron is only doing this ten months before an election, because he thinks the Tories may get more votes. Personally, I am not sure that women will therefore see Camerons reshuffle as positive.
    If it has an impact it will be at a subconscious level. Having more female voices on the TV and radio will have a cumulative background effect.

Also worth noting that women seem to be more likely to say that they don't know who they will vote for when you look at the opinion polls. This was by 14% - 12% in the latest Ashcroft poll, 26% - 12% in the latest Populus poll, 21% - 10% in the latest YouGov.

There are votes there to be won.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,940
    Teachers will be celebrating
  • Options
    Cam Goveth and Cam taketh away
    That'll teach him to be mean to Tess May
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Yes! Gove gone!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,623
    Good morning.

Politics. Bloody Hell.
  • Options
    Gove demoted?
  • Options

They will. My teaching buds are pathological in their dislike of Gove
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited July 2014

It would be interesting to know whether Cabinet ministers did better or worse than average in 1997 and/or 2010. My guess would be that the status, overall, made no difference.

My recollection is that it doesn't make a difference on average - presumably the higher profile is balanced by the perception of distance from the constituency. That applies even if the minister is part of an unpopular government (or a popular one, though those are rare species in recent years). I think the PM does better than average, though - e.g. Gordon got a positive 3.3% swing in 2010, but David Miliband got -6.4%.

A common perception locally is that AS is well-respected in Westminster but not that interested in local affairs. I'd expect both halves of that to be reinforced by a promotion and a neutral impact.

Have a wonderful day, SO!

• Options
    TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

Pienaar is calling Soubry for defence. A remarkable rise. Pity she has such a marginal seat.

Seems to have risen much faster and higher than the previous MP did.
    He was probably some deadbeat white middle aged man who got the job because of sexism despite not having any abilities.
  • Options
    So who goes to education? I would have thought Truss but if she is going to DEFRA...

Maybe Liam Fox! More seriously, perhaps Nick Gibb
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Soubry is smart, articulate and calls lefty BS out on telly when she appears. From Dave's perspective who cares if she loses in 2015? If NPXMP gets back in then probably the whole GE is Labour's anyway.

She insults UKIPpers well, too.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

So who goes to education? I would have thought Truss but if she is going to DEFRA...

If Cam is clever he will do a deal with Nick and stick a Lib Dem in there to soak up the vitriol, in return for a Tory at Business etc
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,961
    edited July 2014
    Surprised Gove didn't walk away from government to be honest.

Education Sec to Chief Whip is a HUGE humiliation.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

If Cam is clever he will do a deal with Nick and stick a Lib Dem in there to soak up the vitriol, in return for a Tory at Business etc
    Yes, put Laws in. The problem then is that a Tory would either have to go to BIS and replace Vince or Energy. Can't see Vince being happy about stepping down.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Yes, put Laws in. The problem then is that a Tory would either have to go to BIS and replace Vince or Energy. Can't see Vince being happy about stepping down.
    Vince can go hang. That's the point, Clegg slaps him down for pollgate
  • Options

Congrats, mine is a few weeks away. Best decision I ever made.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    Gove farmed out to chief whip ?!

I thought Dave believed in what he was doing as Education Sec !
  • Options

Will cost them a fortune in new placards.

• Options
    Mike's just reminded me that Liz Truss is a former Lib Dem who a few years ago wrote a piece saying abolish the monarchy.
  • Options
    15.7.14 BJESUS PREDICTION

LAB 329 (330) CON 264(264) LD 33(32) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets

BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)

Using current polling adj. for 295 days left to go factor and using UKPR stand. swingometer

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Nicky Morgan gets education
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,900

Congratulations! And a useful reminder of what's truly important in life!
  • Options
    The Daily Mail will be furious that Gove has gone from Education - But they are always furious about something anyway. :D
  • Options

Mike's just reminded me that Liz Truss is a former Lib Dem who a few years ago wrote a piece saying abolish the monarchy.

Good idea, great lass
  • Options
    Nicky Morgan is MG lite
  • Options

Patrick said:

Soubry is smart, articulate and calls lefty BS out on telly when she appears. From Dave's perspective who cares if she loses in 2015? If NPXMP gets back in then probably the whole GE is Labour's anyway.

Nick Palmer could win, with the Tories comfortably remaining the largest party.
  • Options
    Nicky Morgan, promoted way beyond her ability.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Win win for Cam and Clegg.

And the business community.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    The first thing a Lib Dem Education Secretary would do, I am sure, is to publish the figures showing the real cost to the taxpayer of Gove´s free school vanity project.

Good idea.
  • Options
    David Cameron ✔ @David_Cameron
    Follow

Nicky Morgan is the new Education Secretary and continues as Minister for Women and Equalities.
    4:23 AM - 15 Jul 2014
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited July 2014
    Toby Young seen running away in tears...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

Nicky Morgan, promoted way beyond her ability.

Not kidding! Friends of Osborne everywhere now. Surprised the party is OK with this tbh.
  • Options

JackW said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

I am on record here last year saying Anna Soubry's majority will be in 4 figures next year. If as we expect she makes the cabinet today, she will have achieved in 4 years what NPXMP failed to do in 13 and constituents love their MP to be a cabinet minister because it means when they seek help against petty civil servants silly decisions, a letter from their MP carries a great deal of weight.
    That could be a plus for Nick P though. "If you elect me as your MP I, unlike Ms Soubry, will never get promoted so I'll have all my time for constituency matters, like I did between 1997 and 2010".

It's a persuasive pitch.
  • Options
    Michael Gove was always on top of his brief, no matter how much he was disliked by teachers.

Will Nicky Morgan be ?
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Gove has odious opinions on foreign policy and the Middle East, assume that's why the Murdoch press promoted him, good to see him go. Hague deserves to go over Syria, shame he had the potential to frame a non interventionist independent foreign policy, and a lot of noises he made initially indicated he would, but ultimately he just became a subordinate of the Americans.

Always figured Labour would poll 32 or 33 at a general election but looks like they are already at that level, if they don't arrest their relentless decline soon who knows where they will bottom out. Frankly I can see where the Conservatives will pick up votes but don't see where Labour will.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Gove has done his job though. He has spent four years battling for reform and taking bucketloads of shit from the teaching unions (I've seen the propaganda notes the NUT send out, it's laughable indoctrination) and now those reforms won't be reversed, because Labour largely supports them.

The NUT and teachers have played the man not the reforms and will lose anyway.

Job done.

I suspect Gove will have a big job in cabinet if the Tories win the next GE.

From a teamwork point of view (and with all egos placed to one side), top members of the Tory team like Gove, Hague etc, are pragmatic enough to realise that it is all about winning the next GE, not about personalities. Gove knows he was unpoular with teachers; moving from the role will probably help the team.

If the Tories lose the next GE they are all out of a job anyway. Taking 10 months out to mastermind a GE win seems absolutely sensible. The Hammond FCO role all looks to be part of the strategy. Not a long term role, but a purely political one: a Eurosceptic in the foreign office to win back votes from UKIP.

It all seems rational and good politics to me, because the reform part of governing is over; now is time for electioneering. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

He does, hence Nicky. Gove needed to be slapped down for annoying Tess and he's poisonous to the people he is secretary for.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Everything Gove has done in Education has been done with Dave's approval and support, but after making himself toxic he get's the chop so somebody more palatable to teachers and 2010 Lib-Dems can take the plaudit's as his reforms start to come good.

Politics is a rough business... ;)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

Nick Palmer could win, with the Tories comfortably remaining the largest party.
    Precisely the outcome presently forecast by my ARSE.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    "Nicky Morgan is the new Education Secretary and continues as Minister for Women and Equalities." Is she Equalities? I thought that was Javid?
  • Options
    Liss Truss gets Environment
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    Reshuffle Day - The Transfer Deadline Day for PB.com.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Bi jump in inflation last month with CPI 1.9% from 1.5%
  • Options
    If you needed proof that Dave reads PB then today proves it.

Mike's pieces on Gove is wot done it.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

She'd get a lot more if I was PM.
    She's in the Brookes camp of megababes
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

"Nicky Morgan is the new Education Secretary and continues as Minister for Women and Equalities." Is she Equalities? I thought that was Javid?

Cammo seems to think so...

@David_Cameron · 8m

Nicky Morgan is the new Education Secretary and continues as Minister for Women and Equalities.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Morning all. Very disappointing to see Gove moved. In truth, the whole idea of a reshuffle this late in the day is also disappointing.

I'd already parted company with the conservatives; this just reaffirms that I've made the right choice. Still no idea who I shall vote for next year though.
  • Options
    John McTernan @johnmcternan
    Follow

A very bad move to change Education Secretary. Victory for the Blob, defeat for standards.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm sure he does. But politics is also about votes. Duh! Gove is right - but grates.

No doubt the new Ed Sec will be asked to push on with freedom and transparency but not to be so deliberately and confrontationally obnoxious about it.
  • Options

I know a splendidly libellous story about her.

• Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Teachers and parents around the country rejoice.

Too late to repair the Tory toxicity on education before the election though, Gove did too much damage.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No news as yet on your ministerial post as Minister for Bournemouth and elevation to the peerage ?

• Options
    Cost of living crisis,

Inflation now 1.9%. Wage rises are just not keeping up.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Wait till you see us on Indy referendum night.
  • Options
    Gove humiliated?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,900
    Grandiose said:

Yes it was - Javid also became Minister for Culture Media & Sport in April - but it does seem a bit tokenistic to say "equalities? Give it to a woman"....

• Options

Gove humiliated?

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 2m
    Am told that Michael Gove has been involved in the reshuffle discussions for the past 2 weeks, already doing Chief Whip job

Not the response of someone who'd been humiliated.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JohnO said:

No news as yet on your ministerial post as Minister for Bournemouth and elevation to the peerage ?

I feel confident that Dave is saving the best to last!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

April 1.8 May 1.5 June 1.9

Suggests May was the outlier.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

She'd get a lot more if I was PM.
    She's in the Brookes camp of megababes
    She scrubs up quite well, I agree.

Of course none of this will make any difference on the ground in Scotland, where you PBers are just completely disconnected from real life and have no idea of what is being said at the real centre of the universe.

"Fog on Tweed - continent cut off"
  • Options

Cost of living crisis,

Yes, Labours poisoned chalice continues to cost them votes
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Grandiose said:

Yes it was - Javid also became Minister for Culture Media & Sport in April - but it does seem a bit tokenistic to say "equalities? Give it to a woman"....

Wasn't it a same-sex marriage thing that was the most poisonous? Perhaps she's changed her outlook.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,995
    Thanks to everyone for their congratulations. I am feeling somewhat emotional.

But onto other things. That Gove move looks like a very big Clegg win to me. Maybe a sign that Dave is preparing for a renewed coalition after the GE?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    MikeP said:

Teachers and parents around the country rejoice.

Too late to repair the Tory toxicity on education before the election though, Gove did too much damage.

Yep, and Labour are ready and prepared to reverse all those reforms, aren't they? Lol.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

JohnO said:

1.8 1.5 1.9 sequence has no "outliers"...
  • Options
    Philip Webster @Pwebstertimes
    Follow

Dont be taken in by idea Gove wanted to go, says Education Editor Greg Hurst. He wanted to stay and add universities http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4147820.ece
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

JohnO said:

1.8 1.5 1.9 sequence has no "outliers"...
    1.9 1.7 were the previous two months.

Saw toothed shape ?
  • Options
    Michael Gove enhanced media role.

Reshuffles do not get better than this LOL

Hope this actually happens. Gove is one of Eds trump cards if it does.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The danger with what Cameron has done to Gove is that he looks like a duplicitous, spineless scum-bag who doesn't have the courage of his convictions to stand by his Ministers when they are doing the things he want's them to do!

But I think being a spineless, duplicitous scum-bag totally bereft of any conviction is factored in to Cameron's "story" anyway? I doubt you can get to Number Ten these day's without having these "qualities" LOL!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Education. Bit of a shocker that Gove is leaving.

Surprised the prime minister doesn't view Education as a full time job.
  • Options
    Have a seat, Michael. I was impressed with the work you have done in assisting with ideas on the reshuffle. I'm going ahead with them, with one exception.......
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The danger with what Cameron has done to Gove is that he looks like a duplicitous, spineless scum-bag who doesn't have the courage of his convictions to stand by his Ministers when they are doing the things he want's them to do!

But I think being a spineless, duplicitous scum-bag totally bereft of any conviction is factored in to Cameron's "story" anyway? I doubt you can get to Number Ten these day's without having these "qualities" LOL!

I think it looks dreadful personally but maybe the public will like it...
  • Options

Quincel said:

I worry that will be a damp squib actually, if No is too far ahead come September. Good for Cameron to give us a much larger than expected reshuffle as a backup.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Grandiose said:

Gove humiliated?

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 2m
    Am told that Michael Gove has been involved in the reshuffle discussions for the past 2 weeks, already doing Chief Whip job

Not the response of someone who'd been humiliated.
    I think that's probably accurate though the Gove move is a bit of a surprise. But of course it also means that the near perfect Chancellor has two of his closest allies as Chief and Deputy Chief Whip assuming Greg Hands is not shifted.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

It's having a job called "Minister for Women and Equalities" at all that's tokenistic.
  • Options

Have a seat, Michael. I was impressed with the work you have done in assisting with ideas on the reshuffle. I'm going ahead with them, with one exception.......

"A good Chief Whip's more valuable to me than a good Home Secretary, Francis."
  • Options
    They should make me Minister for Women
  • Options
    Fallon to Defence - Nick Robinson BBC .... but unconfirmed.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Gove had one of the hardest jobs, in improving education and reversing a lot of educational theory and non-competition rubbish, in the face of so many sectors who had a vested interest in keeping in the status quo.

However, his job was made harder as he is an earnest but not very personable man in public life - his heavy glasses and lack of smiles made it difficult for people to relate to him favourably - even if they agreed with his educational direction. The constraints of time (5 years) and dissenting coalition partners made his job even more difficult.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

"A good Chief Whip's more valuable to me than a good Home Secretary, Francis."
    Now he's paying him to be a sh!t, he doesn't have to do it for free.
  • Options

Cost of living crisis,

Yes you have your finger on the pulse last

4 years of being worse off unless you are in the top 1% will definitely be viewed as Eds fault by voters
  • Options
    Next CoTE : Gove @ 16/1 looks tempting now.

Stopgap whips job.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I worry that will be a damp squib actually, if No is too far ahead come September. Good for Cameron to give us a much larger than expected reshuffle as a backup.
    Well I have some brilliant news about the Indyref.

I will be guest editing the site for a few weeks straight after the Indyref.

So no matter the result I'll have fun.

• Options
    edited July 2014

They should make me Minister for Women

I imagine after some thorough initial probing you'd quickly establish a penetrating command of your brief and get right to the bottom of it. Or perhaps on top of it. Or you'd get your hands around it. Etc.
  • Options

Cost of living crisis,

Yes you have your finger on the pulse last

4 years of being worse off unless you are in the top 1% will definitely be viewed as Eds fault by voters
    Polling certainly supports that view.
    You appear to have your finger on the pulse of a corpse
  • Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Michael Gove enhanced media role.

Lol please let it be so!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sean_F said:

Nick Palmer has been overoptimistic in the past, but he clearly has a large personal vote, and it wouldn't take much of a pro-Labour swing for him to win.

The basic position is that I need an 0.5% swing and there is a 17% Libdem vote and as yet no LibDem candidate - there will be one in due course, but they're not going to make a serious effort (we are in coalition with them locally).
This discussion has been closed.